Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Draugr

Real Name Draugr   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Draugr
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 5, 2006, 20:54
Total Comments 612 (Apprentice)
User ID 24786

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 22, 2013, 14:11 Draugr

Mr. Tact wrote on May 22, 2013, 13:02:
Well, after looking around some more, you might be right about Apple's spin, Cutter. The $6B number is from Apple, and their claim is pretty vague. Are they counting their share of payroll taxes? Are they counting sales taxes they collected for the government in Apple stores? They don't specify the number as being "income" taxes. Still, if they aren't straight up lying about being the largest corporate payer, then the point might be moot.

However, on the second point, I don't think the general idea is absurd. While Apple might be less susceptible to competitive pricing due to the fan-boy nature of their customers. In general, you'd have to agree that when running a business you'd need to calculate the cost of your taxes into your business plan. And it only makes sense that if your taxes are lower, your prices can be lower. And the only money which comes into the company is coming from the customers. Hence it makes sense to say, the customers are paying the company's taxes.

"My income is your spending, and my spending is your income" is the general gist behind most economies, yes.
That doesn't really make an argument here or there for corporate tax rates, though. Raising prices of services and products would be one of many ways a corporation might deal with a larger tax rate.
Also your argument seems to imply that the company selling you something is already giving you the best deal they *possibly* could, and the only way to compensate would be increase the cost of products sold, when we know this isn't the case.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation May 6, 2013, 21:36 Draugr

mag wrote on May 6, 2013, 20:54:
xXBatmanXx wrote on May 6, 2013, 20:48:
jdreyer wrote on May 6, 2013, 20:23:
Microsoft: Next Xbox will work even when your Internet doesn’t.

Yes, they can be taught! Glad they figured that one out.

Well, I hope they stick to that, I can't play a movie on my 360 without having an internet connection....for some reason always wants to make sure codecs are up to date. Dumb fucking thing.

As much as I love my PS3... at least the 360 apparently has support for more than one video codec. It's almost impossible to get anything to play correctly on it without transcoding on the fly from the PC, and that introduces a host of other problems.

The xbox is no different. At least, in my experience, maybe I've missed something.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
17. Re: Morning Consolidation May 1, 2013, 02:00 Draugr

killer_roach wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 23:24:
Granted, Sony's console provides substantially greater system memory bandwidth than any PC will for years to come (simply because PCs aren't shipping with GDDR5 as system RAM

As I understand it, GDDR5 isn't much faster than DDR3. GDDR5 being used as system ram is due to the system sharing memory between the GPU and CPU, not because it offers any significant advantage being used as system ram.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 23, 2013, 22:31 Draugr

Tom wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 17:33:
I guess if you don't mind Netflix dictating your viewing habits

Yeah, that's so different from Television, TV doesn't dictate what you get to watch at all.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
20. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 23, 2013, 22:19 Draugr

Redmask wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 19:55:
LittleMe wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 18:13:
All that said, I support a consumption tax more than an income tax. I'd support getting rid of the latter, replacing it with consumption tax.

If the goal is reducing the deficit then just having consumption tax would be about the most absurd way to go about it, not to mention completely unrealistic as a way to tax an entire populace the size and advancement of America.

Especially when you consider not everyone consumes at the same levels, so it would disproportionately effect different groups.
It's the same reason the GOP was okay with signing off on this, despite it being a tax increase, as when it comes to this kind of tax increase, it does little to effect those whose taxes they are concerned with.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
32. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2013, 16:40 Draugr

Verno wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 15:49:

Windows8 adoption rate is still tracking close to what Windows7 achieved in the early days. There has been a decline once the promotional ($30-40) period was over, but that was expected.

I thought that was total licenses and that OEM numbers were way down which tracks with the OEM market in general experiencing slowdown for many factors, of which its hard to argue Windows 8 isn't one.

It's spin, the adoption rate is like more like vista, not 7.

Edit: Dated article on the subject, so maybe things have improved in the last month or two, but I doubt it.
Article
Yay graphs!

This comment was edited on Apr 19, 2013, 17:01.

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed Apr 6, 2013, 16:31 Draugr

ASeven wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 15:55:
Valid points on the industry in general. However if you want a nice rebuttal, Thunderfoot's videos are great at dismantling the whole modern feminism pseudo-theory, along with a lot of other good videos out there.

You mean that video you linked to that where 3 minutes in he accuses anyone who disagrees with his premise of being a 'white knight?' Accusing people of 'white knighting' is far from a place of reason and dismantles nothing.

If I didn't know any better I'd think you were a plant to help prove the point this article is trying to make. You seem to be more interested in checking off all the bad arguments that are discussed in this article then actually engaging in any discussion. -- Which, as mentioned, is the point of such arguments.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 28, 2013, 16:07 Draugr

That's because it is - the demo was running on PC. It's like expecting Bioshock infinite to look like the promo material when running it on your 360  

News Comments > SimCity: Maxis Working on Traffic Jams; Deleting "Hack" Posts
29. Re: SimCity: Maxis Working on Traffic Jams; Deleting Mar 15, 2013, 15:32 Draugr

Creston wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 15:21:
Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 13:54:
Tropico cities top out in the mid hundreds. Even in Tropico 4, there's a population cap well south of 1000, IIRC. Simcity is working on a bigger scale.

Well, it pretends it is. As that modder showed yesterday, if you turn the fudge function off, the SimCity hamlets only have like 10K people in them.

That's still more than Tropico 4, of course, but then again, every citizen in Tropico has individual needs and wants and belongs to factions and keep his/her same job and his/her same house, etc. I had a 1000+ person city in Tropico 4 yesterday, and it ran just fine.

So why the heck Maxis felt they needed to just go this stupid route with their awesome crappy Glass Box engine, who knows.

creston

This is just random speculation, but its possible that the real reason they want there to be sims in there is some sort of integration with future sim releases - I'm not saying its a worthy trade-off, but to me this all seems like EA trying to get into selling data, and making the sims follow suit like this game, and saying it HAS to be online to work (etc etc.) is just going to be part of that push.

27. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 16:07 Draugr

Cutter wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 15:14:
Verno wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 13:53:
Cutter wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 13:50:
Hyperbole much? Puppets? Really? It's not Netflix's problem if you have no willpower.

And Islam should never provoke laughter. It's not funny and needs to be eliminated by any means necessary.

What are your problems with Islam? I'm genuinely curious, I have several myself but I usually don't talk about it much since religious discussions are rarely fruitful.

Oh all the same reasons anyone else has with it. Really, I find except for maybe some ultra-hardcore lefties everyone has a problem a with Islam and rightfully so. It's a dangerous, backward, stone-aged cult that represents all kinds of threats on all kinds of levels. I don't care for the fundies either but at lest they're mostly harmless and more of a pain in the ass than anything else. Islam is just plain dangerous and much of its current success is entirely the fault of the Western world. We have to really work to reverse that trend because the extremism is only going to increase as things get worse.

I agree with you, but only to the extent that this can apply to all religions, they just 'take turns,' essentially. It might take decades for the roles to reverse as it has in the past, but ultimately they are all guilty of it. it taking place in my lifetime doesn't make it any more of a threat than others (at least big picture, obviously there can be immediate concerns, heh.) In fact, We don't need to wait, organizations like the IRA already exist (and the IRA was active for quite sometime.)
We could eliminate Islam all together, that won't mean 100 years from now we won't have to deal with the threat of Christian Extremists (or scientologist or hindu - whatever!)

I just think if we're going to demand that religions be eliminated for their capacity for evil and extremism, then we'll just need to take them all out back and put a bullet in their heads.

26. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 16:05 Draugr

Bard wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 15:48:
Cutter wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 15:14:
Verno wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 13:53:
Cutter wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 13:50:
Hyperbole much? Puppets? Really? It's not Netflix's problem if you have no willpower.

And Islam should never provoke laughter. It's not funny and needs to be eliminated by any means necessary.

What are your problems with Islam? I'm genuinely curious, I have several myself but I usually don't talk about it much since religious discussions are rarely fruitful.

Oh all the same reasons anyone else has with it. Really, I find except for maybe some ultra-hardcore lefties everyone has a problem a with Islam and rightfully so. It's a dangerous, backward, stone-aged cult that represents all kinds of threats on all kinds of levels. I don't care for the fundies either but at lest they're mostly harmless and more of a pain in the ass than anything else. Islam is just plain dangerous and much of its current success is entirely the fault of the Western world. We have to really work to reverse that trend because the extremism is only going to increase as things get worse.

Wow, what brainwashed stupidity. But that's OK, you're fed nothing but misinformation so it's not really your fault your opinions are based upon roughly 60 years of nonstop Muslim-hate propaganda by the 6 families that own almost all of the western worlds media

I guess you think Muslims did 9/11 too, and conjured a Djinn to take down WTC7.

*shakes head* sad. But I understand. You don't know better. It's easier not to know because you can baaa along with the crowd and not stand out

It's cool, we don't need any more reasons to not take you seriously.

News Comments > Another BF2142 Sequel Hint?
25. Re: Another BF2142 Sequel Hint? Mar 6, 2013, 14:48 Draugr

Slick wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 14:28:
Topevoli wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 10:26:
Of course there will be a sequel. Its EA.

I lost interest in BF3 after getting frustrated with the lack of communication on PC. To anyone that argues in favor or no VOIP needs to play TF2 or CS:GO competitively.
name me one actual competitive clan that uses in-game voip instead of their own teamspeak, mumble or ventrilo server.

Mumble is awesome, the positional audio is really helpful for games like bf3.
I agree, people complaining about this stuff apparently don't understand the reason there is not a lot of work put into it is because there are 3rd party solutions that are arguably better, and the people who really demand voip quality are already using these solutions anyway. - I don't think everyone having the ability to yell at everyone else in game over voip by default also isn't going to fix the lack of teamwork in bf3.

News Comments > Sunday Q&As
13. Re: Sunday Q&As Feb 25, 2013, 14:56 Draugr

Creston wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 11:40:
so they really might as well just throw them away altogether rather than keep trying to shoehorn them in, and then do so poorly.

Creston

Right, and I'd rather they try, as I'd like something more distinct as opposed to 'Look how much we're like gears of war now,' which seems to be the design philosophy that was embraced with ME. But as the title says its a new era, pretending that Bioware was the same company they were a decade ago would obviously be a mistake. I still find it lamentable though.

Edit - I'd also say balance isn't everything. Diablo 3 is very well balanced, but as the previous games indicate, balance doesn't make it a better game. (though it's important)

iD (historically) also makes excellent multiplayer games that are well balanced... Even if its a shooter though, that doesn't mean that when it comes to all the other elements in a single player game people come to expect, that they wouldn't totally flounder (ala Rage!)

Obviously there is no treack record like there is with iD, but just a comination of all the factors don't give me high hopes.

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 2013, 15:38.

11. Re: Sunday Q&As Feb 25, 2013, 01:55 Draugr

Creston wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 21:42:
Draugr wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 13:50:
So The people who made ME3 multiplayer are in charge of making the new Mass Effect game? That almost tells me everything I need to know.

What exactly does it tell you? To me it says the next ME has a chance to be pretty damn awesome, because the MP is far more fun to play than the SP.

The MP team understood how to make fun classes, and that the fast-paced nature of ME3 required far more enemies to really make it work.

Creston

Well, You may have enjoyed it, but ME3 MP didn't really do anything for me. I'm not trying to laud ME3's single player, either.
It tells me it will be very much like ME3 - However I don't think classes in single-player were an issue - and probably include a further downplaying of RPG mechanics, and appeal more towards to shooter crowd, but that's been a gradual trend with the series so it's not terribly surprising.
I guess in retrospect ME3 in general makes me pretty unenthused about the next one, so no reason to highlight the multi-player. I'm willing to check it out, I'm just not holding out much hope.

4. Re: Sunday Q&As Feb 24, 2013, 13:50 Draugr

So The people who made ME3 multiplayer are in charge of making the new Mass Effect game? That almost tells me everything I need to know.

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2013, 14:18.

50. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 21, 2013, 01:29 Draugr

SirKnight wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 23:45:

Yeah, not a high end GPU at all. It's capable of ~1.8 TFLOPS. Which in NVIDIA land would be a 660. The 680 pushes 3TFLOPS, which IS high end. Too bad they didn't put a 680 in there. :/ So this means, yet AGAIN, it's already outdated to my PC long before it comes out.

But, at least we'll be getting PC games with graphics that actually use the current GPUs well...for a little while. Of course, this will once again change shortly as PC GPUs advance so fast.

Yeah, but I think the memory was a big stickler more than anything.
That 8GB of ram is more important than the horsepower of the GPU, I would argue. You're right to an extant of course, there will always be playing catch up, but with a decent amount of memory we won't be stuck in a world where most games are designed with only half a gig of memory in mind. I also think 8 gigs is a bit more future proof than half a gig was at the time of last generations release. They could have done better, but as you know they want to keep their costs down.

44. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 20, 2013, 23:15 Draugr

Well, if Blizzard is anything like a console dev who waits a year to put their game out on PC, I'm looking forward to them blaming their sales numbers on piracy.  

36. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 20, 2013, 22:12 Draugr

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 20:50:
Redmask wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 20:16:
I can't believe they didn't show a picture of it, that's a pretty basic thing.

I'm surprised by how upset people on the Internet are getting about this. The box gets shoved under the TV and never looked at except when changing discs. Does it really matter that much?

Agreed, I'm amazed at what a big deal this is for people.

SPOILERS: Its probably black and vaguely box shaped.

News Comments > Steam for Linux Leaves Beta
3. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 15:17 Draugr

If it has a steamplay tag then it works across any supported OS.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 10, 2013, 15:14 Draugr

jdreyer wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 14:29:
The Half Elf wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 13:26:
No Zombies, Skyrim already had zombies.
Just needs multiplayer. Nothing fancy just allow people to play along in one giant sandbox.

This, this, and this.

VaultMP is getting worked on, provided that goes well, I don't think MP making its way to skyrim is far fetched at all.

612 Comments. 31 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo