Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Draugr

Real Name Draugr   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Draugr
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 5, 2006, 20:54
Total Comments 623 (Apprentice)
User ID 24786

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
17. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 15, 2013, 13:07 Draugr

MindStalker3 wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 12:34:
Trevellian wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 10:30:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 10:17:
wtf_man wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 09:57:
Microsoft may be upgrading the specs of the Xbox One before its release

The major issue this generation was that Xbox 360 was still generally a windows machine thus making it much easier to program for, despite the PS3 having more powerful hardware.
XBox is PowerPC, Though its still leaps and bounds a simpler architecture than Cell.

Another thing that made the 360 more favored in development was it's (512MB)shared memory, as opposed to ps3 which had it statically split(256mb) between the GPU and CPU.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2013, 13:14.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 15:44 Draugr

Flatline wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 14:03:
Verno wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 12:28:
"You cannot have game and marketing budgets this high while also having used and rental games existing," he said via Twitter. "The numbers do NOT work people."

CliffyB's latest troll rant against used games is up and he predictably backs Microsoft, claiming that modern game development and marketing is too expensive to support a used game market. Of course one might wonder why the marketing and game budgets need to be this high in the first place when people will spend millions on something like Terraria and Minecraft, surely there is a middle ground to be found there.

Destructoid absolutely decimates his argument, thought people might want to take a gander.

That tells me that the next "generation" of gaming should be about making AAA quality games *cheaper* to produce. Meaning faster, easier pipelines.

I've been predicting that games are going to peak on budget since the beginning of the PS3/360 generation. The solution to this isn't to yank fair use doctrine and force consumers into what amounts to an outdated pattern of game development, but to push, and I mean *really* push, to make games cheaper and more efficient to produce. That's it really.

Either that or admit that you've hit a certain level of fidelity that is just not economical to get past and go back to investing in content.

Next gen games *ARE* cheaper to produce, at least on a hardware level -- when everything is using such similar hardware, the porting is far cheaper than it used to be. That's not to say there may not be in increase in production costs elsewhere (again, they always feel graphics are king.) but there it going to be an offset because you don't need to worry yourself about making a version that runs on a Cell CPU and a PowerPC CPU.

The real problem is that publishers just don't want to figure out a different way of working. They don't want to try to work more efficiently, or try to create less-expensive-to-make, games, because they like the never-ending spiral of increasing costs to increasing revenue they are in, as that makes their share holders happy.

Prezactly.
As the destructoid Article touched upon, it is amazing how some publishers (and their fans) feel like the games industry wouldn't exist without them.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
26. Re: Morning Metaverse May 30, 2013, 03:43 Draugr

RollinThundr wrote on May 29, 2013, 16:27:
Cutter wrote on May 29, 2013, 15:50:
Draugr wrote on May 29, 2013, 14:19:
Best part about RollinThunr posts is he is more than willing to play the victim while accusing everyone of the same behavior.

Lulz! Perfectly said. It just makes you want to break out the world's tiniest violin for him, doesn't it?

Says the guy who runs from threads after one post 9 out of 10 times. Why don't you people just admit you're beta and move on. We know already.

Sorry if I'm not as invested in a thread as you are, generally speaking I've got better things to do than babysitting threads constantly to see if someone like yourself has replied with some meaningless drivel, I don't really consider my willingness to reply to internet comments a measure of my manhood, as you seem to think it is. A lot of what I could or would say already gets said, so I figure If I don't have anything I feel is worth adding, there is no need to comment. If you're so concerned about getting who is getting the last word I think the only thing it's proving is how childish you can be.

More importantly you're an admitted troll, so I think you should be happy anyone is willing to interact with you at all.

12. Re: Morning Metaverse May 29, 2013, 14:19 Draugr

RollinThundr wrote on May 29, 2013, 13:27:
m00t wrote on May 29, 2013, 12:12:
Good to see the MRA-tards out in force. Thanks for outing yourselves!
[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img35/7840/righte.jpg[/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Just gonna leave this here.

Best part about RollinThunr posts is he is more than willing to play the victim while accusing everyone of the same behavior.

News Comments > Memorial Consolidation
56. Re: Memorial Consolidation May 27, 2013, 23:14 Draugr

nin wrote on May 27, 2013, 17:02:
FTA:

What is surprising, however, is that the Xbox One won’t play any Xbox 360 or original Xbox games, even if they are downloadable.

That doesn't disprove anything I've said, that just says even the downloadable titles you've bought won't be playable, just like the retail ones. There will certainly be re-releases, imo. (if MS gives them their blessing of course.) To me this would appear to just be a further extension of the 'no backwards compatibility' statement.

If you think that means they won't be releasing Minecraft (for example,) on the new Xbox, then I think you are reading this the wrong way.

This comment was edited on May 27, 2013, 23:20.

News Comments > Memorial Consolidation
32. Re: Memorial Consolidation May 27, 2013, 16:47 Draugr

nin wrote on May 27, 2013, 16:29:
Cutter wrote on May 27, 2013, 16:20:
Yeah, course you can't play old 360 games on the Shitbox One...until they re-release them for sale, right? And you fucking know that's going to happen.

– even digitally.

"Even digitally" doesn't mean that they won't sell it on the Xbone, it just means your 360 copy will not work or carry over.

I'm not trying to say they WILL do it, but there is nothing to stop people from doing it, and if Nintendo has shown us anything, it's that you can sell the same game multiple times for different systems.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2013, 14:46 Draugr

ledhead1969 wrote on May 27, 2013, 12:37:
Enough with the hysteria, Blue. All you post is one side.

http://onforb.es/12Giu83

Solved: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/nl3012853

"Water is the most abundant substance on the planet. If anyone can’t get it, its likely because:

The enviros are constricting supply;
Bad/corrupt government is constricting supply; and/or
Poverty is constructing supply/.
All of these bottlenecks are readily fixed by wealth-generating individual liberty and limited government."

"Farms in California cannot be irrigated because a federal judge decrees that a relatively unknown fish may be harmed.
Don’t worry, the judge and the enviros won’t be blamed as food prices rise and people starve. Its global warming’s fault."

Next time you share someone else's opinion, maybe just copy and paste the link instead of pretending it's your own?

IN addition, posting things from the op-ed section of Forbes is not evidence of anything, nor was it relevant to the article. When I hear someone say stuff like "There can be no dispute that CO2 is not pollution but a natural substance essential to all life on the planet" Then we know we've entered fantasy land (obviously the statement itself is true, but willfully ignores several factors to try and favor his point, the most obvious being that there can be too much of a 'good thing.' We could say the exact same thing about the sun, but I don't think anyone would recommend hanging out outside all day, on a hot summer day, with no sunscreen as we know how harmful getting too much of that thing we STILL need live can be.)

With efforts like these you do nothing but preach to the choir.

Graphene sheets made in an academic setting is a potential solution, not a solution

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed May 26, 2013, 16:14 Draugr

Flatline wrote on May 26, 2013, 15:43:
Actually, when subscriber numbers started to dip or more likely were projected to dip, they'd release a new WoW expansion to keep people interested.

Right, so they didn't rest on their laurels, they tried to nip a dip like that in the bud, this is why I say the RMAH making them money doesn't really have anything to do with an expansion coming out (at least not directly.) Blizzard never said "oh no we're losing subscibers, get an expansion out, quick!" Generally speaking they were released on a very consistent schedule (Assumedly taking into account retaining subscribers with that schedule). Sorry, I did a poor job of presenting my Wow example the way I intented.

Bringing back players for d3? This won't be accomplished with an expansion as there is more than needs to be fixed with the game than just more content, I don't think they would want to tie too many of those changes to an expansion, as without showing that off first a lot of people won't even consider an expansion, and I'm of the opinion they aren't worrying about the content until they get the game where they want it.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed May 26, 2013, 15:30 Draugr

Flatline wrote on May 26, 2013, 15:12:
Cutter wrote on May 26, 2013, 13:51:
The only problem I have with real money being utilized is then it becomes class warfare where those with money can buy anything they want/need while those who don't can't. And isn't that one of the main draws of games? The escape from reality? Where you can be uber and forget about things like money problems for a while?

Well in theory yes. This isn't about the player side though, this whole clusterfuck arises from wanting residual income and legitimizing gold farmers by taking 15% (which ironically didn't work).

And as far as residuals and new revenue streams, D3 is a success. I mean, they haven't released *any* new content have they? They released some rule systems to let you keep grinding past level cap but that's not *really* new content is it?

10 years ago Blizzard would have had to have resorted to expansion packs and DLC and new content in order to continue bringing in a revenue stream. Instead, they just sit there and scrape the cream off the top of the pot for people who are addicted to the game. I actually wonder if we will see a significant expansion/content update.

Correlation =/= causation. Them not releasing new content by now has nothing directly to do with the revenue generation d3 is currently doing. Using your same reasoning, they should have never released wow expansions or content because it was making them lots of money. I would almost say you are drawing the opposite conclusion than you should. If they had the momentum they wanted, they would keep that going, if it comes lurching to a halt (due to something like bad gameplay/desgin decisions.) then that's something they are going to need to address before they can get those people to dumb extra money on more of your game. I'd say more content not coming out has more to do with the current state of the game rather than they are satisfied with the revenue.

In addition to that, the ps3/4 release is getting worked on. This at least gives them the chance to sell you the game twice, (since the new version had a lot of the stuff people wanted in the original release.) I imagine they will worry about an expansion after this - Provided the changes and (and in turn the population) warrant it.

As others have mentioned, it's funny to think they have these issues considering the influence they can have on it, and supposedly they have economists who are working on this thing.

News Comments > Halo 3 Related Bootcamp Sighted
1. Re: Halo 3 Related Bootcamp Sighted May 25, 2013, 00:07 Draugr

BEST FACEBOOK/TABLET GAME EVER.  

News Comments > Need for Speed Rivals Announced
8. Re: Need for Speed Rivals Announced May 23, 2013, 15:21 Draugr

DangerDog wrote on May 23, 2013, 14:16:
It'll be interesting to see if the PC version is a port of the 360/ps3 version or from the new consoles.

If we go by that statement of EA's CTO then it'll be closer to the 360/ps3.

They said it will 'easily look as good' as next-gen versions.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 22, 2013, 14:11 Draugr

Mr. Tact wrote on May 22, 2013, 13:02:
Well, after looking around some more, you might be right about Apple's spin, Cutter. The $6B number is from Apple, and their claim is pretty vague. Are they counting their share of payroll taxes? Are they counting sales taxes they collected for the government in Apple stores? They don't specify the number as being "income" taxes. Still, if they aren't straight up lying about being the largest corporate payer, then the point might be moot.

However, on the second point, I don't think the general idea is absurd. While Apple might be less susceptible to competitive pricing due to the fan-boy nature of their customers. In general, you'd have to agree that when running a business you'd need to calculate the cost of your taxes into your business plan. And it only makes sense that if your taxes are lower, your prices can be lower. And the only money which comes into the company is coming from the customers. Hence it makes sense to say, the customers are paying the company's taxes.

"My income is your spending, and my spending is your income" is the general gist behind most economies, yes.
That doesn't really make an argument here or there for corporate tax rates, though. Raising prices of services and products would be one of many ways a corporation might deal with a larger tax rate.
Also your argument seems to imply that the company selling you something is already giving you the best deal they *possibly* could, and the only way to compensate would be increase the cost of products sold, when we know this isn't the case.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation May 6, 2013, 21:36 Draugr

mag wrote on May 6, 2013, 20:54:
xXBatmanXx wrote on May 6, 2013, 20:48:
jdreyer wrote on May 6, 2013, 20:23:
Microsoft: Next Xbox will work even when your Internet doesn’t.

Yes, they can be taught! Glad they figured that one out.

Well, I hope they stick to that, I can't play a movie on my 360 without having an internet connection....for some reason always wants to make sure codecs are up to date. Dumb fucking thing.

As much as I love my PS3... at least the 360 apparently has support for more than one video codec. It's almost impossible to get anything to play correctly on it without transcoding on the fly from the PC, and that introduces a host of other problems.

The xbox is no different. At least, in my experience, maybe I've missed something.

17. Re: Morning Consolidation May 1, 2013, 02:00 Draugr

killer_roach wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 23:24:
Granted, Sony's console provides substantially greater system memory bandwidth than any PC will for years to come (simply because PCs aren't shipping with GDDR5 as system RAM

As I understand it, GDDR5 isn't much faster than DDR3. GDDR5 being used as system ram is due to the system sharing memory between the GPU and CPU, not because it offers any significant advantage being used as system ram.

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 23, 2013, 22:31 Draugr

Tom wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 17:33:
I guess if you don't mind Netflix dictating your viewing habits

Yeah, that's so different from Television, TV doesn't dictate what you get to watch at all.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
20. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 23, 2013, 22:19 Draugr

Redmask wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 19:55:
LittleMe wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 18:13:
All that said, I support a consumption tax more than an income tax. I'd support getting rid of the latter, replacing it with consumption tax.

If the goal is reducing the deficit then just having consumption tax would be about the most absurd way to go about it, not to mention completely unrealistic as a way to tax an entire populace the size and advancement of America.

Especially when you consider not everyone consumes at the same levels, so it would disproportionately effect different groups.
It's the same reason the GOP was okay with signing off on this, despite it being a tax increase, as when it comes to this kind of tax increase, it does little to effect those whose taxes they are concerned with.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
32. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2013, 16:40 Draugr

Verno wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 15:49:

Windows8 adoption rate is still tracking close to what Windows7 achieved in the early days. There has been a decline once the promotional ($30-40) period was over, but that was expected.

I thought that was total licenses and that OEM numbers were way down which tracks with the OEM market in general experiencing slowdown for many factors, of which its hard to argue Windows 8 isn't one.

It's spin, the adoption rate is like more like vista, not 7.

Edit: Dated article on the subject, so maybe things have improved in the last month or two, but I doubt it.
Article
Yay graphs!

This comment was edited on Apr 19, 2013, 17:01.

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed Apr 6, 2013, 16:31 Draugr

ASeven wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 15:55:
Valid points on the industry in general. However if you want a nice rebuttal, Thunderfoot's videos are great at dismantling the whole modern feminism pseudo-theory, along with a lot of other good videos out there.

You mean that video you linked to that where 3 minutes in he accuses anyone who disagrees with his premise of being a 'white knight?' Accusing people of 'white knighting' is far from a place of reason and dismantles nothing.

If I didn't know any better I'd think you were a plant to help prove the point this article is trying to make. You seem to be more interested in checking off all the bad arguments that are discussed in this article then actually engaging in any discussion. -- Which, as mentioned, is the point of such arguments.

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 28, 2013, 16:07 Draugr

That's because it is - the demo was running on PC. It's like expecting Bioshock infinite to look like the promo material when running it on your 360  

News Comments > SimCity: Maxis Working on Traffic Jams; Deleting "Hack" Posts
29. Re: SimCity: Maxis Working on Traffic Jams; Deleting Mar 15, 2013, 15:32 Draugr

Creston wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 15:21:
Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 13:54:
Tropico cities top out in the mid hundreds. Even in Tropico 4, there's a population cap well south of 1000, IIRC. Simcity is working on a bigger scale.

Well, it pretends it is. As that modder showed yesterday, if you turn the fudge function off, the SimCity hamlets only have like 10K people in them.

That's still more than Tropico 4, of course, but then again, every citizen in Tropico has individual needs and wants and belongs to factions and keep his/her same job and his/her same house, etc. I had a 1000+ person city in Tropico 4 yesterday, and it ran just fine.

So why the heck Maxis felt they needed to just go this stupid route with their awesome crappy Glass Box engine, who knows.

creston

This is just random speculation, but its possible that the real reason they want there to be sims in there is some sort of integration with future sim releases - I'm not saying its a worthy trade-off, but to me this all seems like EA trying to get into selling data, and making the sims follow suit like this game, and saying it HAS to be online to work (etc etc.) is just going to be part of that push.

623 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo