Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Draugr

Real Name Draugr   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Draugr
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 5, 2006, 20:54
Total Comments 612 (Apprentice)
User ID 24786

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Serious Sam 3 Screenshots, Details
20. Re: Serious Sam 3 Screenshots, Details Feb 28, 2011, 16:51 Draugr

nin wrote on Feb 28, 2011, 16:23:
Bucky wrote on Feb 28, 2011, 16:13:
16 player co-op! Am I reading that right?

Where do I pre-order?

Yeah, I double take'd that one too...they must be planning to render a TON of baddies on screen at once...

This has been something that you've been able to do in Serious Sam games, at least I KNOW it was a feature in the first one, because we co-op'd the campaign with like 10 people. It was pretty awesome.

Croteam knows how to do a ludicrous shooter right.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: DOOM on a graphing calculator Feb 21, 2011, 01:16 Draugr

George likes his chicken spicy.  

News Comments > Why There's No Bulletstorm Co-op
9. Re: Why There's No Bulletstorm Co-op Feb 20, 2011, 16:50 Draugr

Donkey_Punch wrote on Feb 20, 2011, 14:47
uote: "and it actually worked"

He sounds surprised. So are we.

What he is really saying is that we designed the coop so badly we had to remove it because it sucked. [/quote:

I read it as, "You'll realize how short this game is if we tossed co-op in the campaign mode."

News Comments > Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned
40. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 20, 2011, 16:27 Draugr

spindoctor wrote on Feb 20, 2011, 06:50:
You'd be surprised at how many pirated games have thriving multiplayer communities because of the existence of software like Hamachi and Garena

However, losing access to Xbox live doesn't only restrict you from playing multiplayer games. It affects your entire online experience. You can't stream videos, you can't chat with friends, you can't download game updates/patches/DLC/demos and you basically cannot do anything online with the 360.

On PC, the only thing you (might) lose is multiplayer functionality. Your computer can still go online and do everything else.

The equivalent risk on the PC would be that your internet completely stopped working and you would have to buy a new PC just to go back online. That's not quite the same as just losing out on multiplayer functionality is it?

your point regarding other live functionality is a moot, as i pointed out that they can't detect if you have a cracked Xbox unless you're dumb enough to access live with a poorly cracked game in your drive, so just like PC, it's mostly an issue of MP. Even operating under this assumption though, almost everything you dicussed beyond Demos would be a matter of convenience, as most people have a computer as well, so they don't need to have access to live to access videos, chat with friends, etc. Also their pirates, so their Demos are full titles.

I'm not saying MP can't be overloooked in regards to DRM measures, but it really isn't nowadays. what Im saying is more and more people use authentication services to make sure people aren't playing MP with a cracked version. Steam, etc all excel in this,with much success. This, combined with most gamers having access to broadband is part of the reason you see LAN play less and less these days.

29. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 20, 2011, 06:12 Draugr

spindoctor wrote on Feb 20, 2011, 05:57:
Draugr wrote on Feb 20, 2011, 05:31:
I have to disagree with you in regards to console piracy... in terms of difficulty the mileage varies, it can be as easy as hooking your 360 DVD drive from your xbox to your PC and installing the appropriate firmware, from there it's just burning the disc and popping it in. Only the latest 360 models are a 'hassle'. PS3 is even easier, and involves a USB stick and that's it. You can just load those right from the HDD, so in that regard it'd be just as easy as PC.

There's another aspect to it too. Modding your console can risk it getting banned from Xbox Live if it gets detected. I think that most 360 users would agree that online connectivity is an important part of the experience which would be significantly hampered by it's absence.

No such risk exists on the PC platform.

Both Good points, but I think I should point out that just because you pirate a game on PC doesn't mean you will have access to online multiplayer, or even lan. In most cases games use a service to connect during MP such as game for windows, steam, etc. a crack won't necessarily grant you access to these, and I can't really think of a case where it has. The only exception in recent memory is the Crysis 2 leak.
I haven't checked it out but as I understand it it had the ability to access multiplayer without issue. This is part of the reason things like game for windows Live, Battle.net and Steam all exist. with services like this in place, even if it is cracked, you won't be able to access it's online functions, so in this regard the Xbox and PC share the same 'problems' with online functionality. In some cases with games for windows live it doesn't even need to be an illegitimate game to have online/connectivity issues.

Id say there are plenty of people who aren't really interested in Multiplayer. There are plenty of games with little to no MP. let's move on though.
As I understand it, the ban concerns are mainly due to games that aren't cracked correctly. This doesn't prevent them from releasing updates to combat that, though. You'd also be able to connect unnoticed provided you don't have a pirated game in your drive. This is as I understand it, as this is how it's been explained to me, and I don't have a cracked 360 of my own to attest to.
So with Xbox it won't let you play online lest you risk banning, with PC games you can't play online because you literally cannot connect to the authentication servers involved for gameplay. (for example)

27. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 20, 2011, 05:31 Draugr

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 20, 2011, 04:58:
Xbox piracy requires much more know-how and preparation. PC piracy requires you to download a file and run the exe. Massive difference.

I have to disagree with you in regards to console piracy... in terms of difficulty the mileage varies, it can be as easy as hooking your 360 DVD drive from your xbox to your PC and installing the appropriate firmware, from there it's just burning the disc and popping it in. Only the latest 360 models are a 'hassle'. PS3 is even easier, and involves a USB stick and that's it. You can just load those right from the HDD, so in that regard it'd be just as easy as PC.

You're first assertion though, I definitely agree with, the difference lies in the overall units sold, though sometimes Dev's DO cry wolf about piracy when sales aren't meeting expectations, even though it just might not be as well received as they hoped.

Crysis I think is a good example, it did well, but not as well as they liked, so they blamed piracy. While piracy certainly played a part to one degree or another, time passed and it went on to selling several million units and being one of best-selling PC games. While this is supposition, I think this is in large part due to people being scared off due to system requirements, (even though they may or may not have been justified in doing so.)

edit - I'm kinda drunk, and while I previewed my post, I might have missed something or said something retarded,(moreso than normal, of course ;)) so I apologize in advance

News Comments > Two Worlds II Review Flap, Sequel Revealed
18. Re: Two Worlds II Review Flap, Sequel Revealed Feb 20, 2011, 03:01 Draugr

Jerykk wrote on Feb 19, 2011, 23:06:
He's right that people consider a 7 to mean an average game.

Actually, I think most people consider 8 to be an average game, judging by the outrage seen on forums when a high-profile game gets less than a 9.

In truth, the whole scoring system used by most reviewers is completely broken. The scale is effectively 6-10, with 6 being awful and 10 being awesome. With that being the case, there's no reason to even have 0-5. The BeefJack website was correct in using 5 to represent an average score. When the range is 0-10, 5 is average and that's how it should be.

I've always been fascinated by this, I would say one strong reason could be the grades system in the US,(can't comment elsewhere) which essentially uses that model. Of course, with grades it makes sense as to why that is.

Whenever I rate something on a scale of 10 I always tell the people I'm speaking with that 5 is the average.

11. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 19, 2011, 17:38 Draugr

Fion wrote on Feb 19, 2011, 17:34:
I'm truly looking forward to this game.

/checks his avatar. Still Jim Darkmagic.

In all seriousness I've already pre-ordered on steam as have some of my friends. Looking forward to the co-op mostly.

Stop mocking my generalizations! I never meant to imply NO ONE would buy it.

No campaign co-op might as well be no co-op in my eyes. standalone levels with co-op just doesn't do it for me, beyond just one or two games, personally.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2011, 17:07 Draugr

mlw wrote on Feb 19, 2011, 16:05:
I agree 100%. This short season has been excellent. Only one episode to go

Lucy Lawless will most certainly be back next season. But, I am afraid no such fate for John Hannah's character.

What makes you say she'll be back? I though the season finale, and even the prequel, made it pretty clear how that part of the story played out, unless flashbacks play a part.
Couldn't agree more blue, Gods of the Arena I definitely consider better than the the first season of Blood and Sand, and like you it's gotten me interested in the second season beyond just "I GUESS I'll watch it"

5. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 19, 2011, 16:57 Draugr

mag wrote on Feb 19, 2011, 16:17:
"Shit, the PC gamers don't seem to be on board with this thing. DAMAGE CONTROL!"

And before this they tried pushing gears of war AND Bulletsorm as a bundle on Game for Windows, I can only imagine how many sales that earned them. (not many)

"Our unremarkable game still isn't selling? PIRACY!"

While this is only supposition, I can't wait for the post release analysis as to why this didn't sell as well as they thought it would, in my experience the only people who are truly looking forward to this are people who have a Marcus Fenix avatar on a forum.

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Feb 18, 2011, 21:25 Draugr

MrBone wrote on Feb 18, 2011, 20:33:
Haha. Let me clue you morons in on a fact. All news media is biased. If you think your beloved PBS and CNN is not in the bag for the liberals, you are braindead.

I think its arguable that PBS and CNN are in the bag for a liberal agenda, I don't think you'd get much people agreeing with that unless they were a die-hard fox news viewer. You could certainly make that argument with MSNBC, as that how they've positioned themselves. CNN appears to be interested in being the 'middle man,' in regards to the cable news game. That being said, I'd argue all media has bias, whether intentional or not.

However, my reply to your comments and your comments themselves really aren't on topic, the question was why was fox news singled out, I think someone earlier in the thread summed it up perfectly;

"There's a difference between politically slanting the news and being irresponsible to the point of causing actual damage to businesses and industries to score political points."

Regardless of other situations, this isn't the first time they've gone to the lengths to tell us about how evil games are without presenting any facts, and then having 'experts' on to tell everyone how evil video games are, when the studies they cite (even though they don;t cite anything, they just say they exist) don't exist and they've never even played the games in question. These are facts, and what this discussion is about.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Feb 18, 2011, 20:29 Draugr

Prez wrote on Feb 18, 2011, 14:26:
I'm not a huge fan of Fox News, but I watch it from time to time for my own reasons. The videogame coverage it gives is no doubt an embarrassment, but I think we're starting to get overly focused on one media outlet when it comes to unfair and unfounded coverage of gaming. I seem to remember a bevy of ridiculous pieces on CNN, MSNBC, and other media outlets linking the Columbine massacre to videogames, (specifically 'Doom', but not exclusively) as well as movies (the Basketball Diaries comes to mind).

I understand that this being a more moderate to liberal forum that it would be natural to have a special hate-on for a right-wing outlet like Fox News, but let's try to keep some perspective; Fox certainly doesn't have a corner on the market for sensationalism and irresponsible reporting. Granted Fox has picked up the anti-gaming torch and run with it lately, but it's not like others haven't done the same at one time or another.

While it is true they aren't the only people who sensationalize this, Fox News is waging a culture war, which really shouldn't be news to anyone. This just helps push their narrative (their stance being any media but ours and what we approve of is degenerate, and a sign of how terrible everything is in modern society.)

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2011, 20:40.

News Comments > NPD: 5% Industry Decline
17. Re: NPD: 5% Industry Decline Feb 18, 2011, 03:22 Draugr

|RaptoR| wrote on Feb 18, 2011, 01:35:
1,160,000,000 = total revenue for the month
1,140,000,000 = excluding PC sales
-----------
20,000,000 = PC sales

wow. that's pretty dismal, even if they are skewed numbers. no wonder devs flock to consoles

To be fair, this is retail only, which the PC market has less to do with each passing day.

Recently Forbes ran an article on Gabe Newell/Valve;
"The 250-person company releases no financials but, according to Newell, is "tremendously profitable." Ed Barton, a games analyst at IHS Screen Digest, estimates that Valve's revenue in 2010 was in the "high hundreds of millions of dollars." (A 2005 FORBES story on Valve had the company grossing $70 million with a fat $55 million in operating profit.)"

And Valve/Steam is only one player in the digital market (probably the largest, though)

While there are things to consider beyond just game sales themselves, it would appear this doesn't paint a clear picture of the PC games market, unsurprisingly.

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2011, 04:17.

News Comments > Bulletstorm Trailer
19. Re: Bulletstorm Trailer Feb 18, 2011, 00:18 Draugr

Icewind wrote on Feb 17, 2011, 20:52:
Undocumented Alien wrote on Feb 17, 2011, 16:25:
I've been messing around with the demo on my PS3, it's a goofy game but mindless fun, I'll probably buy it since they had they presence of mind to make it have COOP which I don't see enough of anymore and it's always fun to just crush stuff with 3 other friends. It's Duke Nukem'ish.

That's exactly why I'm ignoring all of the bad points and getting the game. I have several friends who are and we all plan to coop the hell out of this game.

I still think it's dumb as shit to charge 59.99 for this game but we have the welfare console kiddies to thank for that.

You think it's dumb, yet you're forking the money over, what does that make you?
Maybe they wouldn't charge premium prices for this tripe if people were more frugal with what they considered a 60 dollar purchase. I don't see how it's the fault of impoverished people who buy the game any more than yours.

News Comments > RAGE Trailer
5. Re: RAGE Trailer Feb 18, 2011, 00:05 Draugr

Fion wrote on Feb 17, 2011, 22:37:
The graphics are mind boggling, but then again they always are from Id. The game does look a little 'boardlands' but I suspect the similarity ends with the setting. NPCs look more fleshed out, the criminal factions and tribes more unique, etc.

I'm looking forward to the game, though this video didn't push me toward it anymore than I already was by the games appearance at last years E3, that was just amazing and I am still salivating over it.

Well, I for one am certainly looking forward to this moreso than a sequel to borderlands, not that I'm averse to it.

Also, beyond the FPS aspect this appears to have some combat-racing style to it, while there were vehicles in borderlands it certainly wasn't a huge part of the game, and I know that for me it was used purely for transportation. I think there was only one part in the game where you NEEDED to use a vehicle, but its been a while since I've played, so I might be wrong on this point.

When drawing comparisons I thought more of Fallout than Borderlands.

News Comments > No Bulletstorm Editor
27. Re: No Bulletstorm Editor Feb 17, 2011, 16:19 Draugr

Beamer wrote on Feb 17, 2011, 09:17:
Now granted, he implied he was kidding, but plenty of people say things sincerely and then say they are kidding to avoid fallout, so

Yeah, but stop and think about it for a second.
For one, why would he even mention this in any way if it were true but he thought there may be fallout?

For another, Bulletstorm has been in development at least since it was announced in 2008 that EA was publishing a new People Can Fly title. That means it was probably in development in 2007, when PCF's last title came out.

So unless you think Epic is so clairvoyant that they could have planned and begun development of a new property to compete with Killzone 3 two years before Killzone 2 even came out, well...

Honestly, do people here even think things out, or does your hatred of any largeish company or corporation totally cloud your judgment and let you keep fooling yourself into believing things completely impossible to anything not omnipotent?

Like I said, it can be both :). They could have easily ramped up development or held back on release to compete with other products. Them releasing a game for competition is could be seen as good business sense, CliffyB just loves trolling people, that's clear from his twitter feed. I don't mean to imply they were just sitting on this WAITING with a garbage game to compete with killzone.

News Comments > Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor
19. Re: Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor Feb 17, 2011, 16:11 Draugr

Drezden wrote on Feb 17, 2011, 12:53:
I love Bungie, I love Myth, Oni, Marathon all their oldschool stuff was great.

I even love the universe they created for Halo despite being console only...

But I don't understand... after 10 years of making Halo games (A Sci Fi FPS) would you break away from Microsoft... have your first bit of freedom to make something else... and make a Sci Fi MMOFPS... If that is all you were going to do... Why didn't you just stay with Microsoft, and make a Halo MMO, which has been rumored for ages, and is already an established IP to back it for sales... Why would you leave and start from scratch working on the same thing you just stopped working on but on a larger scale.

I would have preferred to see something either Original from them, or from another of their IP's. Oni 2 would be great imo.

Just feels like they are wasting talent doing this.

Couldn't agree with you more, after I heard they weren't chained to MS anymore I instantly thought of how awesome all their non halo games were, and I was really looking forward to that. Now it seems like they developed into a studio that wont take a 'chance' on something like that.

News Comments > Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor
18. Re: Bungie MMO Shooter Rumor Feb 17, 2011, 16:08 Draugr

Flatline wrote on Feb 17, 2011, 15:26:
Anonymous wrote on Feb 17, 2011, 13:45:
Remember, Halo was originally supposed to be the next big thing for PC gaming. That was before they got bought up by Microsoft. And for the damnedest reason, Halo PC never ran as well as the Xbox.

You do mean it was the next big thing for MAC gaming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh1p7D_Nnx0

PC and mac, then the MS aquisition, then just PC and Xbox, then just Xbox, with a terrible port for PC that came out down the road.

News Comments > No Bulletstorm Editor
17. Re: No Bulletstorm Editor Feb 16, 2011, 17:58 Draugr

Beamer wrote on Feb 16, 2011, 17:24:
created for the purpose revenue generation in the period before gears of war 3 comes out? Also tools interfere with paid DLC content.

This wasn't created for those purposes and you do a huge injustice to PCF saying that.

Gears 3 was slated for a Holiday 2010 release. This was slated for after. There is no possible way your logic works based on that.

“The real reason Bulletstorm was built was because Gears wasn't ready for this spring and we needed a product to fuck with Killzone. ;)”
-CliffyB

Now granted, he implied he was kidding, but plenty of people say things sincerely and then say they are kidding to avoid fallout, so~ I take that aspect of it with a grain of salt, He seems to love busting the balls of fanboys though so, it could certainly be one or the other. Or both.

This comment was edited on Feb 16, 2011, 18:21.

News Comments > A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Summer
9. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Summer Feb 16, 2011, 16:30 Draugr

Sadly, this reeks of the hollywood formula of making sure a game is out along with the show.

At least I've got the show to look forward to.

612 Comments. 31 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo