Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Draugr

Real Name Draugr   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Draugr
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 5, 2006, 20:54
Total Comments 626 (Apprentice)
User ID 24786

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > AMD Battlefield 3 Preview Driver
2. Re: AMD Battlefield 3 Preview Driver Sep 28, 2011, 02:48 Draugr

eunichron wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 00:37:
Hopefully this resolves some of the screen flashing issues. The beta runs well as it is, but there are some obvious issues that need immediate attention.

Wow these are some amazing optimized drivers. Team/enemy tags disappear entirely, and performance takes a huge dump every minute or so. Good job, AMD.

And that's why they are beta drivers.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Sep 25, 2011, 15:54 Draugr

Something I've whined about for a while now.

Witcher 2 was pretty good about this, as was Deus Ex.

Still room for improvement though, and obviously more devs need to keep this in mind.

News Comments > Origin Adds Anti-Lawsuit Language to TOS
26. Re: Origin Adds Anti-Lawsuit Language to TOS Sep 24, 2011, 01:26 Draugr

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 01:01:
Well this has to be said if it can stick....

"We should have done this years ago!".

I mean if this is held up, whoever genius thought of the obvious here and put this into place, just changed the world in 2 sentences. For most contract that is all that will ever need to be said.

If it was truly this easy to avoid litigation every contract would have this right at the beginning...or buried somewhere else within.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 2.0 Next Week
9. Re: The Witcher 2 2.0 Next Week Sep 23, 2011, 01:08 Draugr

Jerykk wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 00:58:
You should buy this from GOG if you haven't already. No DRM, lots of bonus stuff and you're supporting the devs directly.

The DRM has been removed from the game entirely, but GOG is still an excellent choice.

News Comments > NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends
16. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 17:20 Draugr

Zyrxil wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 16:44:
Those are hugely inaccurate graphs.

The revenue one shows PC gaming revenues grow nonstop while console revenues dip 5% in the next 5 years. Optimistic, to say the least.

The performance one has the 8800GT being 3x as powerful as a console. The console GPUs are approximately 7800GTX level, and there is no benchmark that will show a 8800GT as 3x the power of a 7800GTX.

The data for video card performance is all over the internet, seems like 3x the power is the case in Crysis (if we're using the 7800 GTX as the 'console equivalent'.) I'm sure it's not the only game.

Here's a Decent breakdown of the two cards with multiple benchmarks.

Doesn't seem inaccurate, give or take a few percentage points. Though ymmv depending on the game, in some cases it only doubles performance. Generally speaking though the 3x power assertion seems pretty accurate.

The console projections don't seem to stray to much from what the trends would indicate, so it seems quite plausible, and to see them wane in popularity as they age I don't think seems implausible, and would contribute to this. The PC numbers certainly do seem slighty optimistic, though they've cleary been trending upwards for some time, for that to continue seems reasonable, but perhaps not at the rate they project..

News Comments > IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3
62. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 22, 2011, 15:39 Draugr

Ventura wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 11:57:

If what you're after is a romantic meal with a date, then yeah, it's probably not the best spot to be.

It's not the best spot to be because it's not quality, even though it's popular. You keep asserting popularity and quality are synonymous, and when someone gives you an example all you do in response is prove them right.

But what if you're on your way home, don't have much time, want to grab something to eat at home, don't want to spend a lot and would prefer to not have to get out of the car?
Completely different ballgame now, isn't it?

Being in a rush for food doesn't change the quality of the food.
So we agree that regardless of Mcdonald's popularity, its convenience (I would also include advertising, and locations on top of that, but it's not important) are the reasons people go to Mcdonalds, not quality. Thanks for elaborating upon the example of how your assertion is wrong.

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 2011, 15:48.

News Comments > OnLive Live in U.K.
3. Re: OnLive Live in U.K. Sep 22, 2011, 01:43 Draugr

I think if these guys concern themselves more with renting, with the OPTION to purchase, they'll really bring in the money.

It would be a great way to let people try before they buy.

22. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 21, 2011, 23:08 Draugr

Ventura wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 22:43:
I mean look at Star Wars Episode I and how much money it generated, I think we can all agree it's the best of the movies, right?!

There was over a 15 year wait between Return of the Jedi and Phantom Menace. Be fair to say that the demand was up there for more Star Wars content, and that Ep 1 would have done well regardless of its quality.

We can start talking about games again though, anytime you're ready.

Which proves my point, quality and popularity are not synonymous, which was what you were arguing.

We are talking about games, and like other entertainment mediums, the umbrella games fall under, the rule of quality and popularity not being the same thing still stands.

Though, if you insist I use a example in gaming, Farmville.
Few games could claim more fame and popularity, but I think we'd all agree it's far from a quality title.

16. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 21, 2011, 22:21 Draugr

Ventura wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 22:14:
Like CoD or hate it, shit games don't break sales records every year.

If radio has taught us anything it's that there is a direct correlation between quality and what's popular.

I mean look at Star Wars Episode I and how much money it generated, I think we can all agree it's the best of the movies, right?!

15. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 21, 2011, 22:19 Draugr

PropheT wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 21:54:
Omni wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 21:36:
lol really what a fucking idiot.

I don't get it. Why?

They set out to make a great game that people want to play instead of just focusing on selling copies. That's...kind of what we want, right?

I get the impression that there'd be a thread full of people saying how stupid this guy was no matter what he'd said here.

Because if IW/Activision was really interested in making a good game, and not about keeping yearly profits where they want they would stop releasing the same game with minor changes in it every year and just work to make sure the game they put out 2 or 3 years ago it the product they want.

Instead they make the changes they want and then they charge you retail price for what could be done in a patch. they could also release new campaigns as expansions and implement changes like that, instead of charging full retail.

It's pretty clear when you commit yourself to releasing a game in the same IP once a year where your priorities lie, and it's not with quality, its with quantity (sales.)

Granted, there is new SP. and in that regard he may have a point, but the game is geared towards MP ultimately. COD Elite proves that.

It's cool this guy takes pride in his work. I can respect that but, if it was really about making the game they wanted I don't think we'd be seeing yearly releases.

News Comments > Quoteworthy
19. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 21, 2011, 18:44 Draugr

http://www.1up.com/news/rage-held-xbox-360-limits

"Willits released a statement to clarify his earlier statements. He did admit that instead of having five or six wasteland environments as originally planned, Rage will now only have two because of the Xbox 360's DVD limitations (one wasteland for each Xbox 360 disc). However, these two wastelands will now encompass all the content from the five or six that were originally planned. So no content has technically been "removed" from the game -- but the Xbox 360's storage limitations did cause ID to rethink Rage's entire story structure."

Yes, clearly this can only be seen as a benefit.

yeah, multiplatform titles CAN have bigger budgets, but to say "I think they actually give back more." I find to be disingenuous.

I think Crysis and Witcher 2 are great examples that prove the contrary when it comes to what you can get with PC exclusives. They didn't need to make it on the 360 or ps3 to exist, and they still delivered excellent experiences. Exclusives in general prove that quality isn't tied to how many platforms it's being put out for. Its not like a 360 exclusive doesn't have the same budget, depth and technology as a multiplatform release.

Just say you wanted a multiplatform game because it makes more money than an exclusive, and that to do that you need to make sacrifices PC gamers might not appreciate.

News Comments > Epic Not Working on New Unreal Games
21. Re: Epic Not Working on New Unreal Games Sep 21, 2011, 18:25 Draugr

entr0py wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 18:22:
only set in a more interesting and imaginative world.

That be a nice change from what they normally do.

News Comments > Dead Space 3 Sighting?
5. Re: Dead Space 3 Sighting? Sep 20, 2011, 22:01 Draugr

Ruffiana wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 21:15:
Trilogy? They'll continue making games in this franchise until they suck balls and stop selling at all.

And how is that different from other game franchises?

News Comments > Quoteworthy
2. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 20, 2011, 21:07 Draugr

And then he started pissing on the interviewer and said, "Hey look, it's raining!"  

News Comments > Game of Thrones RPG "Won't Be Along for a While"
18. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Sep 20, 2011, 19:48 Draugr

Alamar wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 16:56:
My vote is for Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series...

Think it clocked in at 10 books, maybe 11... I need to re-read it...

Anyhow, my personal fav... : )

-Alamar

Sword of truth series is Ayn Rand with swords, but its like Ayn Rand was an even worse writer, the analogy doesn't fit, and is loaded with hypocrisy (speaking of a hypocrisy, here is a fun fact, when Ayn Rand wrote Atlas Shrugged, she was on welfare!)
The series started strong, but ideological shoehorning aside, it was still entertaining. After the first couple of books it seems to just crumble on all levels.
The conclusion to this series alone, is so laughably stupid it boggles the mind.

News Comments > WoW Magazine Ends
15. Re: WoW Magazine Ends Sep 17, 2011, 01:58 Draugr

Tanto Edge wrote on Sep 17, 2011, 00:47:
Someone explain why they've ceased the publication?

Seems to me anyone who would be into WoW enough to warrant a magazine subscription already knows where to get the same information online, and they get it when the news comes out, not just when their magazine shows up once a month.

So basically, the same reason a lot of publications are struggling.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Sep 14, 2011, 15:22 Draugr

The PC is more friendly towards indie titles than consoles!? I'm Shocked, shocked I say.

Who would have thought that the platform that supported indie games and development from the outset would be the place it gets the most love, instead of these consoles manufacturers who up until this generation didn't realize what they were missing out on.

News Comments > Space Force Constellations Revealed
5. Re: Space Force Constellations Revealed Sep 11, 2011, 01:33 Draugr

Seriously.

I don't know what it is about the genre but I love it way too much.
Galciv2 is certainly on the list of favorites. I have wasted so much time with that game. And the ship builder? Basically playing with legos and almost as time consuming as the game itself.

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Sep 11, 2011, 01:13 Draugr

Jerykk wrote on Sep 11, 2011, 00:28:
It seems like the writer would only consider a male character sexualized if he had Hulk-sized muscles, a huge dick and no clothing except for a tiny speedo. Realistically, I don't think most women would find that appealing.

But most men AND women would agree male characters aren't sexualized. Idealized, yes. Sexualized, no.
we can't say the same about female characters. Few would argue that (generally speaking) most female characters are sexualized, unless they are being dishonest. They might argue whether or not it's an issue of course, but I haven't seen anyone deny that they are sexualized.

Once again, attraction and sexualization aren't the same thing.
Just because someone is attracted to Physical and Mental strength doesn't mean its sexualization when those traits are presented.Are all of the women who feel like men in games aren't sexualized in games but feel women are just lying about male characters being just as sexualized?

If you're saying the men WOULD be more sexualized if people thought it would bag more female customers, and that's whats holding them back, then I disagree.

Whenever I see a magazine in line at the grocery store with a guy with no shirt, they certainly didn't do it for my benefit, It's geared towards women. THAT would be an example of sexualization. Being attractive and fully clothed (like most male video game characters) is not sexualization.
Just crack open a cosmopolitan magazine sometime, (Speaking of sexism, it's certainly a horrific thought, just don't expose yourself too long otherwise your head might combust, I know mine would.) 90% of the guys in the magazine are in a bed, with little to no clothes, possibly with a lady next to them. You've just encountered sexualization of males.

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/24/133187977/Why-Girl-Gamers-Get-So-Little-Respect
A good human interest piece. I don't know if you'll listen to it, but it certainly ties in to what myself, and this op ed. speaks about. Maybe someone else might be interested, though.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 2011, 01:24.

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Sep 11, 2011, 00:01 Draugr

eunichron wrote on Sep 10, 2011, 23:18:
Draugr wrote on Sep 10, 2011, 22:02:
eunichron wrote on Sep 10, 2011, 20:22:
So men are just supposed to stop being attracted to women?

Video games are fantasy, no matter how you slice it men and women both will be presented in the medium in an idealized, fantastical manner... and there is nothing wrong with that.

I would actually be interested to hear what homosexual men think of the portrayal of male characters in video games. Do they think that the typical male heroes of gaming improperly or unjustly represent the common male?

Or wait, did I just cross a line there?

Let's just quote from the article you should have read if you felt like commenting on it, which addresses your argument.
"Normally at this point someone is jumping up and down pointing out that men are idealised to the point of ridiculousness in gaming, too. That’s often true – nobody’s going to say Marcus and Dom are normal looking-human beings – but you could hardly say they’re sexualised. This gallery of male characters is extremely light on broken anatomy, uncovered flesh, and grossly exaggerated sexual characteristics – although there’s a lot of perfect hair."

The whole homosexual opinion thing is lost on me. I don't see how it would be relevant. Let's get a Lesbian's opinion too, It doesn't change anything. They are just as capable of sexism as straight people.

Now let's just assume she wasn't writing opinionated drivel for a blog and realize that admitting she's attracted to heroes like Adam Jensen, Commander Shepherd, Isaac Clarke, Cole Phelps, and Marcus Fenix would destroy her entire argument. If you take what is typically an idealized male (let's use the tall dark and handsome paradigm), that is just about every male video game character ever created. Just because they're not scantily clad showing off their pectorals and waving their dicks around doesn't mean they aren't sexualized. Why aren't short fat ugly men in an uproar?

The homosexual male opinion came about because they are men who are attracted to men, and at least that might give them a bit more insight into sexism for or against male characters. It's really not that hard of a connection to make. As a heterosexual male I don't look at male protagonists in a sexual manner, but who knows, a homosexual man might, and he might be offended.

No one is saying characters can't be attractive, and no one is arguing that idealized characters get put into games, as my post and the article itself clearly stated. I also don't see how admitting a character is attractive invalidates an argument, either. Making an attractive character isn't sexism, and that doesn't mean they are sexualized. attractive=/=sexualized.
Lets take the latest iteration of Lara Croft. She's attractive, but (especially compared to previous counterparts) she is far from sexualized.
This is in contrast to say, Ivy from Soul caliber and Rachel from Ninja Gaiden who are both VERY sexualized. I find it disingenuous when you try to claim that the representation of men is just as skewed as that of women.

But, no one is arguing that men being sexualized in gaming is an issue, because it's not. It's hard to find examples, Though I'm sure we could. The list would pale in comparison to female characters though.
If men were presented as women are in games I'm pretty sure your reaction to that would be 'That's really gay.' We don't need gay people to tell us if a male character is being hypersexualized or not, it's fairly obvious when you see it, just like with female characters.
You don't need to be attraced to the subject to make those kind of judgements, the criteria is nearly identical.

-Let me also add, I'm not saying sexualized characters shouldn't exist, or don't have any place. They do, IF it's part of the character.
But, when most of the female characters that exist in games are sexualized it's not part of the character, it's part of the culture.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 2011, 00:19.

626 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo