Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Draugr

Real Name Draugr   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Draugr
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 5, 2006, 20:54
Total Comments 612 (Apprentice)
User ID 24786

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Activision Independent Games Competition
13. Re: Activision Independent Games Competition Oct 3, 2011, 17:59 Draugr

AnointedSword wrote on Oct 3, 2011, 17:09:
omg...it never ends with you guys. With the attitudes you guys have, you will be working pay check to pay check the rest of your lives. How about this, consider it a blessing a multimillion-dollar company is giving small unknowns a chance; get out there and create something worth talking about. My God people, get rid of "the corporations" are out to get me BS. You people are listening way too much to a failed presidency and a media that only supports the left at ANY cost.

Haha, of course. Let's make a bunch of assumptions about people you disagree with, just because.
CLEARLY YOU'RE ALL POOR BECAUSE YOU BADMOUTHED A CORPORATION INSTEAD OF PATTING THEM ON THE BACK.

Yes, how generous of Activision to come down off mount Olympus and throw a competition that clearly gets them loads of PR.

I don't see how politics plays into this discussion. No one can say with a straight face that Activision benefits the gaming industry/community, given their current practices, with this single exception, which on its face does appear to be commendable, but they wouldn't be throwing this if it wasn't for the PR/ a way to possibly get new talent. It's not charity, they benefit from this, and it's no sacrifice on their part.
Just because someone throws you a bone doesn't make them the hero.

If activision wasn't already singled out as company of scumbaggery, I'm sure people would sound far more supportive, but one thing doesn't make up for the litany of disservices they've performed for the industry/community.

Valve gets plenty of love, and they are a corporation. People's reactions has nothing to do with Activision being a corporation and everything to do with Activision's past business practices.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Portal 2 Free DLC Next Week
5. Re: Portal 2 Free DLC Next Week Sep 30, 2011, 15:32 Draugr

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 15:22:
nin wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 15:20:
Portal 2 has easily been my biggest disappointment of the year. No DLC is going to fix that.

I don't think anything can beat Dragon Age II.

Confirmed.

News Comments > RAGE Trailer
16. Re: RAGE Trailer Sep 30, 2011, 02:56 Draugr

DarkJuJu wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 02:06:
First off no one is putting a 4x ACOG on a shot gun that still wants to have a eye socket except maybe in a video game. And i have no real life experience but i am pretty sure double ought buck or slug will put big holes in flesh at point blank range./quote]

Shot? Unlikely. Slug? Yes.
A scope on a shotgun is far from fantasy.

If you have no experience in the matter perhaps its best to look into it instead of just asserting things.

News Comments > RAGE Trailer
13. Re: RAGE Trailer Sep 30, 2011, 00:58 Draugr

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 00:28:
I am pretty much done per-purchasing games. Going to wait for a sale - no game is worth $60.00....well....some exceptions:

Fallout games
GTA games
Saints Row games
Skyrim and others like it

The above games are exceptions, as the raw hours of gameplay one gets out of them, makes them worth the full price.

Why would you preorder bethesda games when you know it will at least be 2 weeks after release before they are playable?

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VI "Blood" Reputation Trailer
13. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VI Sep 28, 2011, 19:50 Draugr

I've been playing the demo for this game and its been pretty entertaining. it's clear they simplified it to some extent but the gameplay is still pretty solid.

If an isometric view is your concern you'll be happy to know it still exists, its just not a fixed camera angle.

News Comments > AMD Battlefield 3 Preview Driver
6. Re: AMD Battlefield 3 Preview Driver Sep 28, 2011, 05:03 Draugr

Teddy wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 03:13:

I suppose. I'm running them just fine, my tags don't disappear unless the teammates are far enough away to only have the triangle icon. And my performance was solid for most of it though I had lag issues after an hour of play that I didn't have time to ascertain whether they were server related or video related. Could be video, if so I'll just roll back. Worked fine for me with the older drivers too.

I was merely just pointing out they aren't ready for primetime, to see some people have no issues and others have problems certainly isn't surprising. I'm sure thats how AMD expected things to go.

News Comments > AMD Battlefield 3 Preview Driver
2. Re: AMD Battlefield 3 Preview Driver Sep 28, 2011, 02:48 Draugr

eunichron wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 00:37:
Hopefully this resolves some of the screen flashing issues. The beta runs well as it is, but there are some obvious issues that need immediate attention.

Wow these are some amazing optimized drivers. Team/enemy tags disappear entirely, and performance takes a huge dump every minute or so. Good job, AMD.

And that's why they are beta drivers.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Sep 25, 2011, 15:54 Draugr

Something I've whined about for a while now.

Witcher 2 was pretty good about this, as was Deus Ex.

Still room for improvement though, and obviously more devs need to keep this in mind.

News Comments > Origin Adds Anti-Lawsuit Language to TOS
26. Re: Origin Adds Anti-Lawsuit Language to TOS Sep 24, 2011, 01:26 Draugr

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 01:01:
Well this has to be said if it can stick....

"We should have done this years ago!".

I mean if this is held up, whoever genius thought of the obvious here and put this into place, just changed the world in 2 sentences. For most contract that is all that will ever need to be said.

If it was truly this easy to avoid litigation every contract would have this right at the beginning...or buried somewhere else within.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 2.0 Next Week
9. Re: The Witcher 2 2.0 Next Week Sep 23, 2011, 01:08 Draugr

Jerykk wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 00:58:
You should buy this from GOG if you haven't already. No DRM, lots of bonus stuff and you're supporting the devs directly.

The DRM has been removed from the game entirely, but GOG is still an excellent choice.

News Comments > NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends
16. Re: NVIDIA on PC Gaming Sales and Performance Uptrends Sep 22, 2011, 17:20 Draugr

Zyrxil wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 16:44:
Those are hugely inaccurate graphs.

The revenue one shows PC gaming revenues grow nonstop while console revenues dip 5% in the next 5 years. Optimistic, to say the least.

The performance one has the 8800GT being 3x as powerful as a console. The console GPUs are approximately 7800GTX level, and there is no benchmark that will show a 8800GT as 3x the power of a 7800GTX.

The data for video card performance is all over the internet, seems like 3x the power is the case in Crysis (if we're using the 7800 GTX as the 'console equivalent'.) I'm sure it's not the only game.

Here's a Decent breakdown of the two cards with multiple benchmarks.

Doesn't seem inaccurate, give or take a few percentage points. Though ymmv depending on the game, in some cases it only doubles performance. Generally speaking though the 3x power assertion seems pretty accurate.

The console projections don't seem to stray to much from what the trends would indicate, so it seems quite plausible, and to see them wane in popularity as they age I don't think seems implausible, and would contribute to this. The PC numbers certainly do seem slighty optimistic, though they've cleary been trending upwards for some time, for that to continue seems reasonable, but perhaps not at the rate they project..

News Comments > IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3
62. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 22, 2011, 15:39 Draugr

Ventura wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 11:57:

If what you're after is a romantic meal with a date, then yeah, it's probably not the best spot to be.

It's not the best spot to be because it's not quality, even though it's popular. You keep asserting popularity and quality are synonymous, and when someone gives you an example all you do in response is prove them right.

But what if you're on your way home, don't have much time, want to grab something to eat at home, don't want to spend a lot and would prefer to not have to get out of the car?
Completely different ballgame now, isn't it?

Being in a rush for food doesn't change the quality of the food.
So we agree that regardless of Mcdonald's popularity, its convenience (I would also include advertising, and locations on top of that, but it's not important) are the reasons people go to Mcdonalds, not quality. Thanks for elaborating upon the example of how your assertion is wrong.

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 2011, 15:48.

News Comments > OnLive Live in U.K.
3. Re: OnLive Live in U.K. Sep 22, 2011, 01:43 Draugr

I think if these guys concern themselves more with renting, with the OPTION to purchase, they'll really bring in the money.

It would be a great way to let people try before they buy.

22. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 21, 2011, 23:08 Draugr

Ventura wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 22:43:
I mean look at Star Wars Episode I and how much money it generated, I think we can all agree it's the best of the movies, right?!

There was over a 15 year wait between Return of the Jedi and Phantom Menace. Be fair to say that the demand was up there for more Star Wars content, and that Ep 1 would have done well regardless of its quality.

We can start talking about games again though, anytime you're ready.

Which proves my point, quality and popularity are not synonymous, which was what you were arguing.

We are talking about games, and like other entertainment mediums, the umbrella games fall under, the rule of quality and popularity not being the same thing still stands.

Though, if you insist I use a example in gaming, Farmville.
Few games could claim more fame and popularity, but I think we'd all agree it's far from a quality title.

16. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 21, 2011, 22:21 Draugr

Ventura wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 22:14:
Like CoD or hate it, shit games don't break sales records every year.

If radio has taught us anything it's that there is a direct correlation between quality and what's popular.

I mean look at Star Wars Episode I and how much money it generated, I think we can all agree it's the best of the movies, right?!

15. Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 21, 2011, 22:19 Draugr

PropheT wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 21:54:
Omni wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 21:36:
lol really what a fucking idiot.

I don't get it. Why?

They set out to make a great game that people want to play instead of just focusing on selling copies. That's...kind of what we want, right?

I get the impression that there'd be a thread full of people saying how stupid this guy was no matter what he'd said here.

Because if IW/Activision was really interested in making a good game, and not about keeping yearly profits where they want they would stop releasing the same game with minor changes in it every year and just work to make sure the game they put out 2 or 3 years ago it the product they want.

Instead they make the changes they want and then they charge you retail price for what could be done in a patch. they could also release new campaigns as expansions and implement changes like that, instead of charging full retail.

It's pretty clear when you commit yourself to releasing a game in the same IP once a year where your priorities lie, and it's not with quality, its with quantity (sales.)

Granted, there is new SP. and in that regard he may have a point, but the game is geared towards MP ultimately. COD Elite proves that.

It's cool this guy takes pride in his work. I can respect that but, if it was really about making the game they wanted I don't think we'd be seeing yearly releases.

News Comments > Quoteworthy
19. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 21, 2011, 18:44 Draugr

http://www.1up.com/news/rage-held-xbox-360-limits

"Willits released a statement to clarify his earlier statements. He did admit that instead of having five or six wasteland environments as originally planned, Rage will now only have two because of the Xbox 360's DVD limitations (one wasteland for each Xbox 360 disc). However, these two wastelands will now encompass all the content from the five or six that were originally planned. So no content has technically been "removed" from the game -- but the Xbox 360's storage limitations did cause ID to rethink Rage's entire story structure."

Yes, clearly this can only be seen as a benefit.

yeah, multiplatform titles CAN have bigger budgets, but to say "I think they actually give back more." I find to be disingenuous.

I think Crysis and Witcher 2 are great examples that prove the contrary when it comes to what you can get with PC exclusives. They didn't need to make it on the 360 or ps3 to exist, and they still delivered excellent experiences. Exclusives in general prove that quality isn't tied to how many platforms it's being put out for. Its not like a 360 exclusive doesn't have the same budget, depth and technology as a multiplatform release.

Just say you wanted a multiplatform game because it makes more money than an exclusive, and that to do that you need to make sacrifices PC gamers might not appreciate.

News Comments > Epic Not Working on New Unreal Games
21. Re: Epic Not Working on New Unreal Games Sep 21, 2011, 18:25 Draugr

entr0py wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 18:22:
only set in a more interesting and imaginative world.

That be a nice change from what they normally do.

News Comments > Dead Space 3 Sighting?
5. Re: Dead Space 3 Sighting? Sep 20, 2011, 22:01 Draugr

Ruffiana wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 21:15:
Trilogy? They'll continue making games in this franchise until they suck balls and stop selling at all.

And how is that different from other game franchises?

News Comments > Quoteworthy
2. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 20, 2011, 21:07 Draugr

And then he started pissing on the interviewer and said, "Hey look, it's raining!"  

612 Comments. 31 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo