Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Draugr

Real Name Draugr   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Draugr
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 5, 2006, 20:54
Total Comments 625 (Apprentice)
User ID 24786

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > More Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Records
15. Re: More Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Records Nov 17, 2011, 18:36 Draugr

Ventura wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 18:02:
I've played most of the CoD series, and clocked a lot of online hours with MW1, MW2 and BLOPs - but can someone please tell me what MW3 brings to the table? It is literally just a map pack for MW2 with a few minor tweaks.

If I was to say BF3 is a map pack for Bad Company 2 with a few tweaks thrown in, that would be no less true.

No, much like with BF3, you're pretty much just getting more of the same. There have been changes, and there's some new stuff, but on the whole, they're not going to mess with what is clearly a winning formula. $775 million in 5 days is why you don't try to fix what's not broken.

And yeah, the campaign is a riot. Much, much better than the quicktime event-infested crap that shipped with BF3. I've had several "woah" moments, because of the things that've happened while playing.

Oh yeah, and Spec Ops Survival is lots of fun when cooped with a mate over Steam.

But the last Battlefield game didn't come out last year, and there isn't one coming out next year, and while not much has changed gameplay wise, the Frostbyte 2 engine is quite the step up in graphic fidelity. It offers something new, even if it is only graphics. IM sure if battlefield 4 was announced for next year and offered nothing but new maps people would be just as upset. Perhaps we'll get a chance to experience that.

One of these things offer something that could be handled via DLC or expansions, the other actually involved development of a new engine and tools, so at least it offers SOMETHING new.

Finally, more FPS's exist than just battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3, just because someone has a gripe with Modern Warfare 3 doesn't mean they are a bf3 fan, and visa versa. The argument 'well bf3 is just as guilty' doesn't make it any less of a complaint. It doesn't need to be an either/or decision.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Using CryENGINE 3
6. Re: MechWarrior Online Using CryENGINE 3 Nov 17, 2011, 18:19 Draugr

Bumpy wrote on Nov 17, 2011, 17:55:
When they change their mind and announce a SP campaign to go with this game, then I'll get interested.

Which is what they wanted to do, until nobody would give them funding to do it since it couldn't be released for the PS3 as well.

The most "single player" we'll see come out of this appears to be, "Not at launch. We're looking at ways to incorporate PVE post launch and withing the framework of the MWO concept."

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/1535-developer-qa-1/

Seems like they want a real Mechwarrior game as much as the rest of us, but funding is an issue.

News Comments > Skyrim Soars
26. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 12, 2011, 04:59 Draugr

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 12, 2011, 04:09:
The 1988 one. The 2001 sequel is supposed to be one of the worst games ever made afaik.

Well good on you then. And they are right about the 2001 Pool of radiance.

News Comments > Skyrim Soars
7. Re: Skyrim Soars Nov 11, 2011, 23:11 Draugr

wtf_man wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 22:49:
Done for the day. So far, it's looking like the best game in the series (other than the UI and food needing to be more needed / meaningful). I progressed the main quest to the point of killing my first dragon / activating my first shout... then concentrated on side quests for the Companions (Warriors Guild).

I'm having an effin' blast!!!

I really hope they fix up the UI, but something tells me it's just a pipe dream. It's atrocious.

News Comments > GOG.com: "Your customers hate DRM"
19. Re: GOG.com: Nov 11, 2011, 17:17 Draugr

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 17:13:
CptStern wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 17:03:
"The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings sold something around 200,000 units on Steam, CD Projekt RED's action/RPG sequel sold more DRM-free units on GOG.com than all other digital distributors combined. "

that's the opposite of this source:

"Roughly 240,000 copies of The Witcher 2 were sold across all digital distribution platforms between its May 17 launch and October 30, CD Projekt revealed. Steam accounted for over 195,000 of these (around 81%), while Good Old Games rung up "approximately" 35,000 (15%)."

Source
so which one is it?

I think he's referring to the fact that, aside from Steam, GOG.com sold more than Impulse, D2D, GamersGate, etc. combined. The number for "everyone but Steam and GOG" is less than 10,000 copies.

CDPr also removed their DRM from all copies of the game after the release date, so technically they are all DRM free.

News Comments > Animating Skyrim
28. Re: Animating Skyrim Nov 11, 2011, 15:36 Draugr

edit- double post because Im smooth!  

27. Re: Animating Skyrim Nov 11, 2011, 15:32 Draugr

Jerykk wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 12:23:
The pirate version has inconsistent behavior in the UI where clicks don't register and such... Retail UI is smooth and fast.

I certainly hope that's the case, as my legit copy arrives today. Unfortunately, I don't think the lack of item/spell hotkeys has anything to do with pirated copies.

Yeah, I have a legit copy and the UI still blows, he even says so himself, I dont understand how someone can say a UI is smooth and fast and then in basically the same breath say "Takes about three hours to get used to the UI, then it's not too bad" Sounds like a shit UI to me, and my legit copy still has a shit UI. It has nothing to do with piracy, just like when I commented on it earlier.

12. Re: Animating Skyrim Nov 11, 2011, 01:45 Draugr

Paranoid Jack wrote on Nov 11, 2011, 00:11:
Just decrypted & installed the final parts of Skyrim. Started the game. A Bethesda's logo appears, then a Skyrim logo appears, then the game crashes to desktop.... looks like another rough start. I just pray to God it doesn't crash every couple minutes like Fallout did.

I haven't had this issue myself, someone suggested this on another site:

"Go to your Windows Control Panel -> hardware and sound -> click on sound -> rightclick on the speakers/soundcard etc. -> go to config, advanced and change one on the dropdown to 24bit, 48000Hz.
This will fix the crashing at menu, its the sounds thats bugged beyond shit its playable with the above done, higher quality makes it crash."

On an unrelated note, the UI for this game (PC) makes me wish I was dead IRL.

News Comments > The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea
10. Re: The Book of Unwritten Tales Patch; Piracy Plea Nov 10, 2011, 00:39 Draugr

Rattlehead wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 22:25:
Another reason that I'm glad I switched out of the gaming industry. Why bother working hard when more than half the people are gonna steal your shit.

And you guys wonder why developers shun PC gaming.

Developers don't shun PC gaming.
If releasing PC versions of a game wasn't profitable then publishers wouldn't bother, They are businesses not charities.

As was said earlier consoles sale the most so thats why they lead development, usually.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Leaked Footage
11. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Footage Nov 7, 2011, 16:45 Draugr

If you watched any of the promo videos that have been out already it's not going to have anything new there besides the surrounding dialogue of the scenes you've seen, And Wrex, Garrus, Kaidan/Ashley and Liara were in the Normandy after Shepard escapes Earth and they chat it up which I guess is spoilerish. Beyond that though there really isn't anything new.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really see anything terribly spoilerish in there, Unless you've been steering clear of any videos they've already released.

On a side note, I'm amused by people freaking out about the quality of the leaked demo. not only are there months to go before it's released, but does it ever occur to people that just because this is the build that got leaked that it doesn't mean it's their latest build?

News Comments > DOOM 3 Source Code Release Nears
12. Re: DOOM 3 Source Code Release Nears Nov 1, 2011, 00:52 Draugr

Dev wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 23:13:
Heh, because of consoles holding graphics back, doom 3 is far more comparable to current graphics than doom was when its source code was released.

I like to see source code releases like this, it gives budding developers (especially indy ones) a chance to see how others code this stuff and what tricks they used.

Yeah, as an educational tool for other developers I'm sure these kind of releases are invaluable.

News Comments > BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized
145. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 20:22 Draugr

Kitkoan wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 20:10:
Prez wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 19:34:
How many of them have to worry about themselves because of the fact that another gay one of them tied to lamppost, beaten, burned and killed in public only 3 days ago? And this wasn't the first or last time it will happen, just because they were gay?

Horrible things happen to blacks, whites, Asians, Hindus, to Muslims, Christians, Jews, atheists, to heterosexuals, bi-sexuals, transexuals, men, women, children, transvestites, to everybody every single day. Gays are not special. No one should have to suffer such things, but it's a sad fact of life and human nature that they do and will. We all wish we could end the suffering wrought by evil people - any decent person would, but crying about some stupid, harmless thing some goofball said won't help one bit.

And please don't try to infer that his speech can be considered "inflammatory"; that's just an insultingly stupid notion, just as it was when people suggested it about some goofy developer naming an achievement "Stupid whore" or something like that. It's childish idiocy.

And its one thing when that happens to them just because. Its something completely different when they get targeted for the single reason being what they are, and thats what makes it wrong. And ignoring the problem and shrugging your shoulders doesn't make it go away. Addressing the problem and making an issue of it does solve the problem.

It took this to get women the right to vote, to work and be treated as an equal and no longer been told that "a good wife knows her place". The same also had to happen with black people in the south whom had to worry about things being lynched in public without anyone doing anything against it. Granted you would have just shrugged your shoulders and said "Eh, shit happens." I know this because you just did it about a gay man being lynched in public and all you have to state is "it's a sad fact of life and human nature that they do and will." Guess what? People brought light to the problem of degrading others because of who they were and that treating them like that doesn't help and needs to stop. And guess what? It keeps getting better and black people don't need to keep looking over their shoulder, afraid of being lynched. Now we need to start doing the same for gay people.

While there has been a lot of progress, even those groups still aren't treated equally it's something that still needs work.
For example, on average women still get paid less than men for the same work.

144. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 20:15 Draugr

ventry wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 19:48:
Draugr wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 19:21:
ventry wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 19:03:
Place 100,000 gay men (or women) on an island with NO access to adoption or IVF and that group of citizens will be dead and gone in around 50 years. No way to procreate you see.

The same thing could be said about placing 100 heterosexual men (or women) on an island. It's also a point that serves no purpose.

*sigh* Ok! For the pedantic (and those with very little active brain cells).....
Place 100,000 gay men AND women on an island with NO access to adoption or IVF and that group of citizens will be dead and gone in around 50 years. No way to procreate you see.
One or the other will have to cross over to the other side and fuck the other otherwise their dead and buried. I guess that would make them bi-sexual.

One thing I never understood.
Why do so many lesbian couples use strap-on rubber penises??
I mean sort of defeats the purpose of being a lesbian in the first place.

And just as before, it's a moot point because it has no relevancy to anything beyond what you consider natural, even though other species also engage in this behavior. Seeing as how they are part of a society, the majority of are heterosexual, it really has nothing to do with anything. It certainly isn't relevant to what's being dicussed here.

I don't really see why someone using a dildo defeats the purpose of being a lesbian. Just because your a lesbian doesn't mean you wont enjoy sex in X,Y, or Z way. Some men like getting pegged by their girlfriend/spouse, I don't think that would 'defeat the purpose' of them being heterosexual.
Once again though, this is a moot point that has no bearing on the current discussion. Bringing sexual habits of people into the discussion doesn't do anything but serve to steer the conversation away from the topic, which involves sexuality, not sexual habits.

125. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 19:21 Draugr

ventry wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 19:03:
Place 100,000 gay men (or women) on an island with NO access to adoption or IVF and that group of citizens will be dead and gone in around 50 years. No way to procreate you see.

The same thing could be said about placing 100 heterosexual men (or women) on an island. It's also a point that serves no purpose.

120. Re: BlizzCon Hate-Speech Criticized Oct 27, 2011, 19:10 Draugr

Kitkoan wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 19:05:
Hellbinder wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 18:40:
Here is some hate speech for you.

The fact that peoples perverted or mentally deranged sexual state needs to be identified by them literally in front of every single thing they do is a sign in itself of the truth im stating.

whats next want to share with everyone that you are a "gay" coffee drinker? bottom line is you are sexually attracted to the same sex wich is ABNORMAL! and not something you should be proud of, ok with, or trumpet as loud as you can associating it with literally everything you do.

it is an OBVIOUS mental disorder plain and simple and its time all of society recognized that and dealt with it accordingly.

Homosexuality is found in over 400 different animal species. Homo-phobia is only found in one. Which one would you consider "natural"?

Stop bringing facts into this!

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Oct 26, 2011, 15:08 Draugr

what's so funny is that article that they reference pachters "90%" they also have this statement

"We looked at quantifying what the real losses are," says Christian Svensson of the PC Gaming Alliance and Capcom, "and it's incredibly hard to do, because you end up having to do a set of cascading assumptions that you have no real ability to validate in any meaningful away."

Which basically proves hes just talking out of his ass. Certainly piracy is an issue but for him to pretend like he can quanitify it is disingenuous at best. Are we really going to pretend that of the 4.5 million copies of starcraft 2 sold they really missed out on around 45 million sales? If that sounds absurd, it's because it is.
If pachter didn't basically potray himself as a shill for MS, and wasn't so anti-PC gaming he might have a leg to stand on, but every time he gets the chance he basically pretend like PC's are the red headed step child of gaming so his opinion on the matter really doesn't mean much to me. Why wouldnt they ask someone who was actually involved in the industry as opposed to someone who just bags on it whenever he is asked his opinion (which is wrong most of the time)

They did ask securom too, but that's like asking McDonald's about health concerns with fast food. They have a horse in the race, and they certainly aren't going to do themselves any favors by not pretending the issue isn't of epidemic proportions. I think it is obvious that if things were as bad as they say then the PC gaming market wouldn't exist. At least for this op-ed piece they actually ask someone about it who involved in developing and publishing in the industry (gabe,) not some jackass with his crystal ball of failure and some company whose existence is reliant on piracy being a huge issue.

edit: According to this article, SC2 was pirated of 2.1 million times...
While I'm sure its not entirely accurate, but at least there are some numbers involved instead of throwing things at a dart board. Looking at it I don't know how it works out to 90% of 45 million, but I'm sure pachter is willing to show his maths and methodology for how he came up with that 90% figure. oh, we also need to pretend those 2.1 million were all going to be sales if piracy wasn't an option, and that they were all downloaded by unique individuals!

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 2011, 15:47.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Oct 20, 2011, 19:59 Draugr

I'd say it would be a good idea, but possibly due to the way the assets are generated though, they might be dead in the water.

Since they were using motion capture, they'd need to hire actors for everything, do the mocap, etc. Granted when people do DLC they need to bring in voice actors but what they would need to do would certainly be a step up. Most DLCs come in and are able to reuse a lot of the assets from the original game and whatnot, while they would be able to use the environments a lot of things would need to be from scratch. It's possible that it just wasn't in the cards in terms of profitability, they'd need to invest way more than others would in DLC/Episodes. When only half of platform owners participate in DLC, that doesn't sound as profitable as to just moving on to other things.

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2011, 20:08.

News Comments > BF3 Norwegian Review Shenanigans Alleged [Updated]
6. Re: BF3 Norwegian Review Shenanigans Alleged Oct 18, 2011, 18:10 Draugr

I just assume stuff like this was the norm, EA just moved it from the realm of the unspoken into the daylight.

Why else does so much garbage get good coverage and/or scores when it isn't worthy, Bad taste can only accounts for so much.

News Comments > Dragon Age II DLC Released; Web Series Begins
13. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released; Web Series Begins Oct 12, 2011, 04:01 Draugr

Jerykk wrote on Oct 12, 2011, 03:53:
As for DX:HR, I don't recall them ever saying that the game would be PC-exclusive. I vaguely recall them claiming PC was the lead SKU, which was a lie, but the final product ended up being a worthy entry into the series anyway, unlike DX2.

The only thing I remember them saying in regards to the PC release is they realize that some attention needs to be given to the PC release that the console releases don't. I think they did a fine job. I also remember seeing some videos with the dev discussing PC features as well, so clearly it was something they put some thought into. After DX2 I'm sure they were concerned with making sure they didn't have the same issues DX2 had, and wanted to assure it's potential customers as well

News Comments > Dragon Age II DLC Released; Web Series Begins
12. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released; Web Series Begins Oct 12, 2011, 03:53 Draugr

Acleacius wrote on Oct 12, 2011, 03:21:
That maybe true, though I feel like *Port* is an afterthought. After thinking about the development of DA. I recall them starting the game description with PC DESIGNED GAME, but by the end it was clear (at least to me) the hype slowly started changing to consoles. Remember near the end of development all those videos with the nonstop action, nothing was really about PC RPG interests, it was to attract console gamers.

Same thing happened to DX3, they started off saying PC only. Then in the end, it was clear PC version was the Port (afterthought).

Just saying the games could be better with less cost. It's poor management of resources, marketing and gameplay features. The worst part is they are throwing away this money and fan good will for *perception*. The perception that consoles are as good as PC.

Oh and m$ funding (remember those billions of dollars m$ is willing to throwaway lose to make their console mandatory viable?) which requires consoles be the lead platform.

DA:O had a seperate SKU for PC, I don't know how much more clearly that could be made. I've certainly had no issue with the way Bioware handles their PC releases. DX:HR was also well done on the PC, I had no issues or complaints (that come to mind, I could be missing something.) DA2 wasn't worked on separately, and certainly has things going against it, but a bad PC release isn't on the list for me, in that regard it has little issue.
It's not odd at all to see the marketing geared more towards the console market, there is more money to be made there.

To me, the issue I have is not with the PC releases, but just bad work we have seen from them lately, hopefully its an issue that rests more with the DA team itself, the ME series seems to be doing okay (I would have liked ME2 to be more RPG/exploration heavy, basically I wanted it to be more like ME1, but it's still not a bad game, it looks like I'll say the same thing of ME3.)

625 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo