Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Draugr

Real Name Draugr   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Draugr
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 5, 2006, 20:54
Total Comments 626 (Apprentice)
User ID 24786

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter
36. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Apr 4, 2012, 17:13 Draugr

MacLeod wrote on Apr 4, 2012, 16:26:
Wow... the old school developers are coming out of the woodwork now. I'm happy to see original people coming back to their projects, but I'm concerned when the first one doesn't work out and everything goes to hell.

Like, I'm even seeing Jane Jensen (Gabriel Knight) has a kickstarter up for some new game thing she's working on. While I'm keen to support it, I'm also hesitant about that one simply because of the odd subscription sounding mechanic.

I demand a Tie-fighter/Freespace like space-sim next!
Someone better get on it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming
29. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 13:52 Draugr

Darks wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 11:25:
necrosis wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 11:17:
Techie714 © wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 11:10:
In order for me to buy this again It will need to have the following.

• High resolution textures

• Full widescreen support to at least 1920x10801200

• Upgraded sound

• New graphical enhancements

• Yep I would buy it, if it had those features. I dont think that is asking to much from a "Enhanced Edition".
    Corrected.

Their comments about their not being any comments that a PC version of the game is even in the works bothers me.

They've actually stated several times there will be a PC version. I think they must have felt a PC version being announced it was rather obvious. Apparently not though, as this is like the third post I've seen like this. The tweet liunked in this post even mentions the PC version. when they did their reveal they shoul;d have made it clear it was in regards to the PC version, as the other versions werent announced until after that.

News Comments > DICE: Console Certification Holds Up PC Patches
    15. Re: DICE: Console Certification Holds Up PC Patches Mar 28, 2012, 00:06 Draugr

though he does say this can be considered a benefit "because you get proper testing."

Oh, that's hilarious. as if it is some 1:1 secnario when it comes to this.

Also, if console patches have shown us anything, its that the 'certification process' is there to make sure the game doesn't ruin the console in some fashion, it's not bonus QA for your patch, and it's disingenuous for him to pretend it is.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2012, 00:48.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
    10. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 26, 2012, 23:24 Draugr

eunichron wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 17:41:
    Yeah, I don't get where Diablo 3 has been "consolized," that claim is a pretty long stretch.

Though isometric ARPGs have worked on consoles before, D&D: Heroes for the original Xbox was a blast, especially 4 player coop.

Certainly, I don't mean to imply that the genre can't work, but that doesn't mean it's a 1:1 conversion, that one platform doesn't influence the design decisions for the other.
    Things need to be taken into account when the control surface is a gamepad, I would say Diablo 3 was designed with a lot of that stuff already in mind, so the transition wouldn't be too difficult. I personally think they are holding off until the PC release to avoid upsetting anyone, and will help avoid cries of concessions for consoles, but I think it's fairly obvious. I would say the recent change, where all of your skill choices are locked to a certain category (unless you deselect the option in gameplay settings,) is another example/step in that direction. As previously mentioned, limiting things to 6 abilities makes it easier to adapt it to gamepad (2 trigger buttons, A,B,X and Y/Square, Circle, Cross and Triangle,) would be another.

Overall though, Diablo 3 seems really lazy to me compared to Diablo 2, which I guess isn't surprising when you consider how lazy they got with WoW.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
    5. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 26, 2012, 15:31 Draugr

Dev wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 13:31:
    Diablo 3 on console will be 'a true Blizzard-level experience'
    [...]
    the firm made the decision to look at a console release for the title not primarily for financial reasons, but because it feels "that particular product makes a lot of sense" on platforms other than PC.

Sure actiblizz, sure. I believe that.

SPend any time looking at diablo 3 and it's clear where they made concessions for consoles.

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Gold
    18. Re: Legend of Grimrock Gold Mar 24, 2012, 03:31 Draugr

I recall Seeing one of the devs say It's 10+ hours on the first playthrough.
    As awesome as it would be for it to be longer, they are just four guys you can't expect too much, otherwise we may never have seen it.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned
    150. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 23, 2012, 14:21 Draugr

Jerykk wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 12:40:

Because ME3 isn't the last ME (just the last Shepard story), leaving some things open ended is fine.

Again, you're assuming that ME4 will resolve anything. For all we know, it could be a prequel to the Shepard series.

Apparently he missed the part where Casey Hudson said any future projects would happen during or before me3, Making this whole line of reasoning a moot point. It'd normally make sense if we weren't told otherwise, explicitly.

“whatever we do would likely happen before or during the events of Mass Effect 3, not after,”
    -Casey Hudson

We can't ruin any plans for what happens after ME3, because they've stated they have none. Of course, this is subject to change, and its quite possible it has with the feedback they've recieved about me3/me3-ending.

but now they can't use it because they wrote a few lines of canon back in a silly slide in ME3

Disregarding the fact that they said there is no plans for anything after ME3, let's not pretend Bioware is so averse to retconning things. Rolleyes

That's what makes the ending even more dissappointing. If they said that me3 is the endcap to the universes timeline (or that they are treating it as such) Why would they care if they release more information about what happens afterwards. The answer of course, is LOTS OF SPECULATION1!!!!!one!

This comment was edited on Mar 23, 2012, 14:30.

145. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 22, 2012, 20:48 Draugr

Sepharo wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 20:25:
    Misunderstandings extravaganza!

I'll bring the fodder!

135. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 22, 2012, 18:12 Draugr

finga wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 17:36:
    Seems reasonable that this is what future sequels would cover. Let that writing happen then rather than now. One thing that the developers have never wavered on is that the first three games is Shepard's story, and it ends in ME3 (and presumably the DLC).

We saw plenty of choice and consequence in ME3. No, we don't see what happens 20 years down the road; why, was that really necessary?

"Executive producer Casey Hudson says that the events witnessed in Mass Effect 3 is as far as he wishes to go.
    While not yet sure what the franchise will tackle next, “whatever we do would likely happen before or during the events of Mass Effect 3, not after,” he says."

So while it may seem reasonable, your assumption was wrong, though this may have changed due to the situation. This is one of the reasons people are interested in more closure.

Furthermore, any DLC or whatever they do to 'change' the ending, you don't need to participate in. Things can stay just the way you'd like them to! So you can have it the way you want it, and then others can have it the way they want it. (Though as you said previously, there is no pleasing everybody.) At least that sounds more in line with what they promised.

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 Double XP Weekend & PC Apology
    25. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Double XP Weekend & PC Apology Mar 22, 2012, 16:11 Draugr

Beamer wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 12:26:
    ChopperDan wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 12:23:
    How about Elite? Or DLC? Apologies only go so far...
    How about adding infected to the community playlist?
    Argh...

PC gets Elite for free, I believe has been getting patches first (which makes sense), and gets DLC around the same time as PS3, right?

PC gets 'Elite' for free because everything they can charge you for with elite is already something that can be done on PC free of charge.

Well partly that, mostly because they don't give a shit about them.

131. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 22, 2012, 15:58 Draugr

Verno wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 08:46:
    Commissioned or otherwise. If they want to 'change' it, so be it. Shit, George Lucas can't STOP changing things about his movies.
    Personally, I think any changes they end up make will be minor, maybe some epilogue cards ala BGTOB, or DAO. Of course, that's just a guess.

All they had to do was not introduce bizarre characters in the last 5 minutes along with a text wrap up for your companions a la Dragon Age. That wouldn't have been what they said it was going to be pre-release but at least it would been satisfying enough for most people.

I'm still frustrated that they are basically going to sell the complete ending to the game and get away with it because of how invested people are in the series. But I can't force people to be more sensible with their money in this case anymore than I can stop from buying idiotic $25 WoW mounts and other nonsense. Gamers

I think you're spot on, people would still be disappointed, but not on the level they are.

111. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 22, 2012, 05:31 Draugr

Jerykk wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 03:49:
    Yowzers, you're totally missing the issue here, finga. Mass Effect is supposed to be an RPG series with a heavy emphasis on choice and consequence. Many of the choices you can make throughout the series have potentially significant long-term consequences (curing the genophage, saving the Rachni queen, giving the Geth individuality, etc). As the supposedly final game in the series, ME3's ending should have shown or at least described the long-term consequences of such choices. Given the fact that you spend most of your time in the series trying to save the universe, the ending should have shown the fates of your companions and their respective races as well. This is what other RPGs like Fallout and Dragon Age Origins did and nobody had any issues with those endings. Why? Because they provided satisfying closure. You made choices throughout the game and saw the long-term impact of those choices at the end. That's how all RPGs should work.

ME3's lack of closure is even more disappointing because of the scope of the series. ME is the first series to offer persistent choice and consequence across multiple games. The first two games were pretty lacking in the consequence department, so naturally players expected things to be fully resolved in the final game. That was not the case and thus, people were disappointed. That doesn't make them unreasonable, it just makes them rational.

Well said -- And once again, Finga follows up with more ad hominem attacks saying anyone disagreeing with him is throwing a temper-tantrum, or they aren't mentally unstable.
    Saying something as silly as, "It's unprecedented from the perspective of art." Is just wrong. Everyone can think of examples where test screenings of a movie resulted in the ending, or something else being changed, due to response. We all know retconning is something that happens in many series. Just as they don't NEED to change it because people complain, there is no rule saying they can't, there are plenty of examples of people changing art for various reasons, Commissioned or otherwise. If they want to 'change' it, so be it. Shit, George Lucas can't STOP changing things about his movies.
    Personally, I think any changes they end up make will be minor, maybe some epilogue cards ala BGTOB, or DAO. Of course, that's just a guess.

108. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 22, 2012, 03:35 Draugr

finga wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 02:09:

Are you trying to suggest that people haven't gotten mad at TV, movie, or book endings? Because I can assure you they did, and they made it through without throwing weeks-long temper tantrums on the internet and organizing to demand changes. (Changes that, by the way, no one would be happy with anyway.)

I'm trying to suggest that comparing these mediums isn't fair. The analogy didn't hold water, that's why I introduced a new analogy that made more sense.

I didn't mean to imply that other mediums are devoid of people complaining about things not resolving the way they expected, I don't know what lead you to that conclusion. Changing things for X Y or Z reason certainly isn't against the rules of mediums like TV and movies, just look at things like, Blade Runner, Army of Darkness, Final Destination. The list can go on, these are just three of the examples I could think of.

I didn't really like the last ten minutes, either. But ME3 is full of endings, most of which didn't happen in those last ten minutes, and they are very satisfying and mostly prove to be quite dependent on your choices.

Obviously, I disagree, and apparently so do enough people for Bioware to at least imply something may come of all those complaints. What Bioware promised and what they delivered were not the same thing.

Either way, I'm an adult that can handle the crushing disappointment and loss of a video game, even one in a series I love, not ending quite the way I wanted. Can you?

It's easier to dismiss those you disagree with by pretending they are all petulant children, isn't it? Sadly for you, I'd like to point out that ad hominem attacks about ones age or maturity does nothing to validate your opinion, or invalidate the opinions of those you disagree with, for that matter.

We get it, you didn't like the ending either but you don't think its worth complaining about.
    Did you have a point you were trying to make beyond that or were you just coming into the thread throwing a temper tantrum because people have differing opinions than your own?

On a side note: This whole 'Be satisfied with your Shit Sandwich' I see so many fanboys take is part of the reason why they feel completely comfortable cutting crap out of a game and then serving it up to you separately for more money, or any of the other ways they try to nickel and dime you. People complain, then you get some champion of the publisher up there, "YEAH THIS SUCKS, I DON'T LIKE IT, BUT I'M DRINKING THE KOOLAID BUYING IT ANYWAY."

103. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 22, 2012, 01:57 Draugr

Sepharo wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 01:46:
    Draugr wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 01:44:
    Bhruic wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 00:39:
    I wonder, if you kill the queen in 1, do rachni reapers cease to be in game? Or is it just explained as 'oh, there was another rachni queen hiding somewhere'? It all feels so trite, pointless and inconsequential...

They "cloned" the queen. So if you killed the queen, you do the exact same thing, go down and fight through to see her. The only difference is if you accept her offer to help, at a point down the line, she backstabs you, pulls her workers out, and does some damage on the way.

Only real effect is a negative to your rating. Which almost certainly won't matter.

It did not go down like that for me in my game, I didn't kill the queen in ME1 though, so that's the obvious difference there.

It's still lame, though.

Uh it did for everyone... Unless the wiki is wrong. Care to explain what happened in yours?

I suppose it's possible I totally missed the scene where they betrayed me. THe most I ever heard of them is I asked hackett about their status and they were working and making people uncomfortable, but helping out...

I'll need to hop on my save and look at the asset and see what it says.

The wiki for me3 is sparse.

Up until a few days ago the Anderson article on the wiki basically would lead you to believe that him dying is a static event in regards to when it occurs.

101. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 22, 2012, 01:44 Draugr

Bhruic wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 00:39:
    I wonder, if you kill the queen in 1, do rachni reapers cease to be in game? Or is it just explained as 'oh, there was another rachni queen hiding somewhere'? It all feels so trite, pointless and inconsequential...

They "cloned" the queen. So if you killed the queen, you do the exact same thing, go down and fight through to see her. The only difference is if you accept her offer to help, at a point down the line, she backstabs you, pulls her workers out, and does some damage on the way.

Only real effect is a negative to your rating. Which almost certainly won't matter.

It did not go down like that for me in my game, I didn't kill the queen in ME1 though, so that's the obvious difference there.

It's still lame though, all things considered. making us choose again is just silly.

98. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 21, 2012, 23:54 Draugr

finga wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 23:02:
    Well, now that we're doing this, I'll be writing George R.R. Martin asking him to change A Song of Ice and Fire so that my favorite character doesn't die. Also, I'll need HBO to go back and re-cut all the show scenes to match. And quickly, too!

when George R.R. Martin makes a 'choose your own adventure book' with identical endings, where you get to go to the same page regardless of your choice, (despite him telling us our choices matter.) your analogy will make sense.

News Comments > BioWare "Considering" Mass Effect 3 Ending Feedback
    110. Re: BioWare Mar 20, 2012, 18:44 Draugr

Creston wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 18:04:
    Draugr wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 15:07:
    Creston wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 10:48:
    You don't get that until 4000. The weird thing is, though, it seems that from 4000-5000, Anderson doesn't die, but if you've over 5000, he DOES die.
    Creston

As I understand it, Anderson dies regardless. EMS just determines when in the ending he dies.

Ah, I see. I guess with 5000 he crawls up back up, then dies beside you, whereas lower maybe he dies when the IM has you shoot him?

Hmmm. If I wasn't so disgusted with the endings, I'd try it out just for fun.

Creston

Or the IM executes him, something like that yeah. As you were saying though, if the ending wasn't so terrible then I'd feel motivated to check and see.

108. Re: BioWare Mar 20, 2012, 15:07 Draugr

Creston wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 10:48:
    You don't get that until 4000. The weird thing is, though, it seems that from 4000-5000, Anderson doesn't die, but if you've over 5000, he DOES die.
    Creston

As I understand it, Anderson dies regardless. EMS just determines when in the ending he dies.

92. Re: The ending is fine... Mar 19, 2012, 23:28 Draugr

briktal wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 21:29:
    In the Final Hours app they said “whatever we do would likely happen before or during the events of Mass Effect 3, not after."

Which doesn't need to intertwine with Shepard's story. For example, There could be a DLC where Aria retakes Omega. Shepard's not involved in this.

This is also something they said before the 'shit hit the fan,' now they are saying stuff like, "considering your feedback and have not made a decision regarding requests to change the ending."

Needless to say, it at least seems likely their post-game plans were disrupted in some fashion, and the content that follows may, or may not, be influenced by that.

News Comments > Dragon Age Entering "Next Phase"
    22. Re: Dragon Age Entering Mar 19, 2012, 22:21 Draugr

Creston wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 22:17:
    Hey, look. EAware doesn't want people to keep complaining about the Mass Effect endings, so here's another distraction! And one in which they promise to listen to the fans, no less.

They are running the Marketing 101 playbook step by step.

Creston

This.

626 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 14.
    < Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo