Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Draugr

Real Name Draugr   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Draugr
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 5, 2006, 20:54
Total Comments 627 (Apprentice)
User ID 24786

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 25, 2012, 18:46 Draugr

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 17:40:
Okay stay calm, I certainly am. I did not mean to imply you personally were excusing their actions. Rereading my post, I don't think I did that, but I'll apologize anyway if you think I did. I'm sorry.

Apologies if I didn't seem calm. Admittedly I'm a pretty intense person, so sometimes when writing my thoughts out they might come off a bit more hostile than intended.

I was asking what the supposed intent other than harming others. I was attempting to state even if they had no intent to harm others and are in fact total morons, it doesn't mean they aren't guilty of a criminal act.

In your previous comment you said, "you'd have a hard time convincing me they don't deserve jail time," so I took that to mean you thought I was advocating a position that there shouldn't be punitive measures taken.
I felt that the point of 'ignorance and stupidity of a law does not equal innocence' was fairly obvious, so when you said as much, combined with your previous comment, it came across to me that you thought I was trying to excuse their behavior because they are morons. My bad.

If they are that stupid and/or were having "fun" under the influence, at the very least I hope this incident increases the frequency of them actually turning their brains on.

We can hope as much!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Linux Steam Plans Confirmed
23. Re: Linux Steam Plans Confirmed Apr 25, 2012, 16:29 Draugr

DNForever wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 15:55:
I recall another company that would arrogantly say "when it's done", and their game took like 12 years to come out. Hint, it's my screenname.

Just like DNF, I wonder why people even still give a shit.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 25, 2012, 16:16 Draugr

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 15:23:
Draugr wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 15:15:
But I do believe them they say they weren't intending to hurt people, which was my only point...
If you believe this please tell me what you think their intent was. Stupidity, like ignorance, is not a valid excuse for criminal acts.

Seriously?
I don't know how much clearer I can make this, I'M NOT EXCUSING ANYONES BEHAVIOR. since you seem to think I am, please show me the line(s) of text that shows I've been holding that position/that leads you to believe this, Or let it go.
No one deserves a pass, and no one has called for one, you're trying to make me hold a position I'm not advocating. Me pointing out these guys probably did this for some stupid/foolish fun, and not malice does not imply, 'so lets just forget this ever happened.'

I believe their intent was to set up a bunch of traps for fun, but they didn't think of the concequences of their actions; that they weren't the only people who'd be passing through the area.

Again, let me clarify, since you might keep asking me. I'm not advocating they get a pass, or that them being dumb excuses their actions...That doesn't mean the only reason they could have done what they did was due to malicious intent, and not just stupidity.
Having known these two for some time, and them being some of the dumbest, yet nicest people I know, I'd certainly find them being a dumbass a more reasonable explanation than, 'They wanted to hurt unknown random people for no reason.' Hanlons razor's certainly makes more sense here.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 25, 2012, 15:15 Draugr

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 13:11:
Draugr wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 16:10:
I'd be absolutely shocked if they had any malicious intent towards people, but they are dumb enough to do something like this without thinking of the consequences/repercussions to others.
What other kind of intent could they have possibly had?

If they were under 14 I might be more willing to acknowledge the probability they didn't consider or conceive the consequences and/or repercussions. However, at 19 and 21, they should know better. If they are guilty of setting the traps, you'd have a hard time convincing me they don't deserve jail time. I'd rather jail these guys than pot smokers.

I think that this is an example of hanlon's razor.

Apparently you've never met immature people. These are people that don't really 'act their age' and usually have the behaviors of people expected from younger people.

I'd also like to point out that at no point, did I imply or say that they deserve a pass. There should be concequencesbei89ng a dumbass, young or old, doesn't excuse anything. But I do believe them they say they weren't intending to hurt people, which was my only point...

It's almost a sure thing they were getting high(cannabis) while up there, This could certainly effect someone's judgement, (On top of these guys being morons, which would already put them at risk of doing something stupid.)

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2012, 16:10 Draugr

Cutter wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 15:27:
The 20-pound spiked boulder was rigged to swing at head-level with just a trip of a thin wire ó a military-like booby trap set on a popular Utah canyon trail.

Someone's taking their larping a bit too seriously.

Any unsuspecting hiker exploring the makeshift dead-wood shelter could have fallen prey.

Two men arrested over the weekend on suspicion of misdemeanor reckless endangerment told authorities the traps were intended for wildlife, but investigators don't believe the story.

Wow, so these guys intent on mudering someone are arrested on a misdemeanour, and a guy who rips off McDs for a dimes worth of soda is charged with a felony and faces up to 5 years in prison. Nice legal system you got there, America.

I actually know these guys, one of them is in a band with my younger brother. (I've lived in Utah for over 10 yrs, now :()

Needless to say, they are morons. Bear Gryll's is like a hero to one of these guys...
I'd be absolutely shocked if they had any malicious intent towards people, but they are dumb enough to do something like this without thinking of the consequences/repercussions to others.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Apr 21, 2012, 23:04 Draugr

NKD wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 20:06:
Read this.

That's really interesting, and for one reason or another, something I really hadn't considered. I would say there are some things missing in that article that weren't taken into account. But it's assertion isn't wrong.
Game pricing hasn't ever really been an issue for me personally, if I don't think it's worth the price then I'll hold off.
It's still untrue of them to say something like, 'used games sales not being a thing would bring our game prices down.'
Just because it allows for that possibility, doesn't mean they'd do it. 'Price cuts' aren't decided on 'well we're doing really well, let's take a hit in profits to make everyone happy.'
It's usually the other way around.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Apr 21, 2012, 19:31 Draugr

Dev wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 19:13:
"Amazingly, no game publishers have stepped forward to publicly pledge themselves to lower game prices in exchange for a cut of used game sales."

Har har har.

Because they (publishers) just invent things like 'online passes' which gamestop buys for you anyway. (because they still make more money this way than selling a you a new copy.)

I suspect this is one of the route's they'll take, and for the most part it seems to work (the only people taking a hit is gamestop, and fuck them. Though this does put people who are trying to personally sell a used game at a disadvantage, which sucks considering it's gamestop who made such issues arise, but of course they are rich enough for it to not be an issue.) Of course they'd prefer it if everyone just bought new games, so they aren't going to stop trying.

And yeah, Publisher's wont drop the cost on anything if they can help it. We all notice lots of PC titles are 60 dollars, even though before this console gen they were more like 50, and digital distribution was already getting established, so if these kind of arguments held wait, we would have already seem those cheaper games. In some cases I would argue that we do from smaller studios...but from big publishers? Ha!

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Apr 21, 2012, 19:19 Draugr

CommunistHamster wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 16:35:
Blah blah defend the giant rich industries and not the average people looking to save money.

Buy used games.

Yeah, buy used from gamestop, way to stick it to the man!

I might as well just steal a game, I'd rather not support gamestop, and the people involved with making the game will see just as much money from me stealing it as they would from me buying used. Of course, this is why I don't buy used. If I'm going to buy a game, I making damn sure at least SOME of the money is going to supporting the people who made the game. Yes, there are a lot of fingers in that pie, but I'd rather they get then give someone (gamestop, for example) all of the pie. Buying used doesn't resolve issues with how the pie gets cut up. There's no doubt publishers are the scum of the earth, but their role won't be the same 10 years from now as it is now, and hopefully it's for the better.

No, Gamestop isn't the only way to get used games, but if they weren't around then I don't think they'd be worrying about it to the degree they do.

News Comments > Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer
34. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 21, 2012, 05:29 Draugr

Jerykk wrote on Apr 21, 2012, 04:36:
It's not a great game, but I like what they TRIED to do with it. Have you played the DLC? You should just pirate the DLC and check it out, they made a lot of improvements.

Do waves of enemies still spawn out of thin air? If so, the DLC still sucks. The wave-based enemy spawns were the worst part of DA2, especially on Nightmare difficulty. There's really no excuse for such half-assed design.

I don't think you understand.

IF YOU PRESS A BUTTON, SOMETHING AWESOME HAPPENS.

News Comments > Retailer Leaks Dead Space 3 and NFS: Most Wanted 2 Hints
23. Re: Retailer Leaks Dead Space 3 and NFS: Most Wanted 2 Hints Apr 18, 2012, 16:08 Draugr

Darks wrote on Apr 18, 2012, 10:11:
Shok wrote on Apr 18, 2012, 10:05:
I bought DS2 when it was a $5 Steam sale. I must really suck or something because I kept dying at the friggin very beginning of the game. I think I reloaded 3-4 times before I just said 'wtf' and played something else. I'm sure I could have figured it out but why make the first experience in a game that frustrating?

Yep, you suck! The key to that opening sequence is to keep on running, donít stop. Donít look around. Just run your ass off.

Also, it seems that this is becoming more and more an issue with retailers spilling the beans. Wonder what the repercussions are for something like this?

They will get mad at the website for drawing attention to it.

News Comments > Diablo III Beta Ending; Monk Trailer
16. Re: Diablo III Beta Ending; Monk Trailer Apr 17, 2012, 22:40 Draugr

Dev wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 22:13:
PHJF wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 21:59:
They said over and again NOTHING from the beta would carry over.
I was talking an achievement, not anything from character or inventory lol.

Things like the starcraft 2 collectors edition offer exclusive avatars and character portraits that you cannot get in the regular starcraft 2 game. So it wouldn't surprise me if blizzard did something like a special in game portrait if you got all the beta achievements.

Thats what I'm talking about, not anything "carried over"

Yeah, nothing will carry over, achievements are still part of nothing.
Having an achievement carry over from the beta and giving you an achievement for paying more money for your copy aren't the same thing.

The real question is why the hell do people care about gold stars...

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+
42. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+ Apr 17, 2012, 21:32 Draugr

JediPunisher wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 21:13:
Mad Max RW wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 16:58:
The difference between all the other Kickstarter campaigns is Brian Fargo is a businessman and he knows how to stretch a dollar.
Yeah, and Iím guessing that to maximize odds for success, Fargo will put all $3M (minus fees and taxes) towards game development to the exclusion of all else, such as advertising, bonus items, etc. When the game nears completion, they can simply approach a publisher, such as Bethesda, and let them pick up the tab for playtesting, advertising, boxing, and distribution in exchange for a cut of retail sales.

Right, because Brian Fargo appears to just be DYING to get in bed with a publisher. I'm going to have to disagree with you on that aspect.

The only retail/box sales this game has will probably be limited to the kickstarter rewards. It'll be all digital.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+
19. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+ Apr 17, 2012, 14:57 Draugr

Creston wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 14:01:
ASeven wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 13:17:
I sure hope so and I am well aware that without rewards many kickstarters wouldn't be kickstarted successfully in the first place. I'm just a bit worried with overhead after reading this article here, that's all. I sure as hell don't want awesome projects like this to fail for any reason, including overhead.

To be honest, that article is not indicative of how most Kickstarters work.

Let me just quote a particular section that really actually kind of irked me:

After that, we had $22,000 remaining. From there:

Music - $6,000
Attorneys, startup fees, CPA - $4000
Poster art - $2000
iPads - $1000
PAX East - $3000

TOTAL: $16,000

Now, I don't know what these guys promised, but paying for their attorneys, iPads and a fucking trip to PAX East out of their kickstarter funds?? I'd be ROYALLY pissed if that's what they spent my donated money on.

Fargo and Weisman have both said they will use their funds solely and alone on the game. Every dollar goes into the game. (Though Weisman has said that if they get enough money, they may buy some new computers for their office. That would benefit game design, so okay.)

If some dev said "Yeah, I'll use this funds to pay for my rent, and my laundry, and my lunches, and my attorney fees, and taking my girlfriend to see a musical", I wouldn't give him a dime.

Again, I don't know what these guys promised in their kickstarter, but they seem like a completely new dev that still had to start an actual company, and they are spending the donated money on absolute bullshit stuff. Both Fargo and Weisman have established companies and have pledged to use the donated money to make a better game.

I think it's kinda apples and oranges, to be honest, and it's typical Kotaku BS to pretend that every Kickstarter only gets 16-17% of the funds to spend on the actual game.

Creston

This article speaks to these peoples incompetence, not a failure on kickstarter or its implementation.

Just goes to show you should be smart who your giving your money to.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition Released
37. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition Released Apr 17, 2012, 03:16 Draugr

vrok wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 03:12:
Got a corruption error on pack0.dzip when installing the patch downloaded via the launcher. Lots of others having same issue.

Redownloading part 1 and 2 from http://en.thewitcher.com/ee_manual/ solves the issue.

STarted downloading them again to see if it resolved the issue. stopped in and saw this. Thanks!

News Comments > Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned
127. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 17:57 Draugr

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 17:38:
You can pirate skyrim, but it is the #1 game on Steam since it came out. Make a great game and you have great sales.

Piracy is a red herring for shitty games.

Exactly, in this instace, Bulletstorm had poor performance across the board, If PC piracy was really such an issue, then they would just forgo a PC version and stick with the consoles, but they know the sales won't pan out so they won't.
Bulletstorm doomed Bulletstorm 2, not piracy. That won't stop them from pretending it was a great game and it was all the pirates fault, as it easier to attract investors by saying the fault lies with an aspect out of your control.

News Comments > New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Add FXAA
18. Re: New NVIDIA Beta Drivers Add FXAA Apr 9, 2012, 17:34 Draugr

Simon Says wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 11:24:
I just wish ATI would do the same now :S.

http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/p/injectsmaa.html
video demo:
http://www.iryoku.com/smaa/#movie

I've been using this on a couple games, I can only think of a single game where it didn't function properly.

Its worth checking out!

News Comments > Epic Making PC Exclusive Game
59. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 8, 2012, 23:27 Draugr

Jerykk wrote on Apr 8, 2012, 23:21:
I can almost guarantee this will be a F2P multiplayer shooter. Probably just a slightly altered version of UT3 (or maybe UT2k4), ala Quake Live.

Seems like it's a safe bet. Either that or a tech demo for the new engine, or both.

Either way, I'm not holding my breath, and I don't expect anything remarkable.

News Comments > Starlight Inception Kickstart
24. Re: title Apr 7, 2012, 23:27 Draugr

Lord Tea wrote on Apr 7, 2012, 21:11:
possible console port ---> automatic NAY! Thumbsdown

I think this project would be doing way better than it is now had they stuck to PC initially, THEN worried about about other platforms.

As is, a lot of PC players have the same reaction we had. we saw that, and decided we'll wait to see what the game is like if/when it comes out.

The DLC (Launch DLC for that matter) crap certainly didn't do them any favors either, though it appears the backtracked on that.
Even still, it rubs me the wrong way they'd even be discussing things like that when they don't even have funding for a game yet.

News Comments > Starlight Inception Kickstart
14. Re: Starlight Inception Kickstart Apr 7, 2012, 15:41 Draugr

Man, Ive been looking forward to a kick-starter for a true space sim since these projects started coming into being. I never thought I wouldnt want to get behind it though

Vita, DLC, Casual or hardcore modes? All on a budget this small? I'll pass...Sounds like that's barely enough money to get licencing for the vita.

It's too bad, if this guy presented this right, and appealed to the right people,(i.e., not the 100 people who own a vita) and fucking didn't talk about DLC at all, and ditched... They'd probably already be funded.
Lots of PC gamer's are going to see Vita and DLC and walk the other way.

The DLC comment makes me think the funds will go to making the game, but any actual content will be pretty slim without the DLC.
His presentation, unlike others, leads me to believe this is just some big plan for him to make money.
Unlike say Brian Fargo, which is clearly in it to get his passion project made, beyond the previous stated reasons, it's no surprise to see which one people get behind.

Someone needs to get on with doing this right, before this guy does further damage to the genre.

News Comments > ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut
105. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 17:41 Draugr

Yifes wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 17:24:
Then I guess you missed the point where I agree that the ending is vague and full of plot holes. If that is your reasoning for disliking the ending, I have no problems with it. If you prefer a "everyone lives happily ever after ending" then that's ok too. Go watch the original SW trilogy. Its when people complain that your choices don't matter, that's what I'm arguing against. Again, you seem to join a thread late, and miss the point.

I think very few people are arguing for a, "everyone lives happily ever after ending." This is another mistake people make. They equate "I don't like the ending," with, "I don't like unhappy endings."

While these people will, of course exist, (I'm sure there are many varying opinions on the subject,) I think as a general rule, those aren't the majority of the complaints.

Finally, they've said their just fleshing out the ending, not changing it, so whats the problem here for you?
If you're looking for people asking for a 'happy ending' I think you are in the wrong place.

627 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo