Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Draugr

Real Name Draugr   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Draugr
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 5, 2006, 20:54
Total Comments 626 (Apprentice)
User ID 24786

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio
8. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 11, 2014, 19:42 Draugr

theglaze wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 19:38:
I remember when they tweeted the minimum PC spec's, and I was blown away that they would support PC components that are 8 years old (8800GT released 2007, E6600 released 2006). I thought the same thing when they said it would be released for the 9 year old 360...how can it not look and play like shit on a 360? An Xbox One can't even manage more than 792p graphics with the game!

Having played the beta, seen the muddy textures, experienced the simplified gameplay, not noticed the pristine uncompressed audio...I'm out. To quote one of my friends who was going to buy an Xbone for Titanfall until he played the beta on my PC:

"So you give me this giant ass robot...and I can't leave anything more than a black smudge on the environment? You can keep your damn titans and your 'next-gen' hardware."

As you said yourself, the 360 needs to be able to run titanfall, so I think considering it a 'next-gen' title is a bit of a stretch.
If this game didn't need to run on the 360 we'd certainly be seeing some different things in there. The most obvious being player count, I'd imagine.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > CryENGINE Linux Support Announced
2. Re: CryENGINE Linux Support Announced Mar 11, 2014, 19:32 Draugr

Especially if you're a star citizen backer intending to play the linux version, heh.  

News Comments > Steam Family Library Sharing Live
14. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 16:50 Draugr

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 15:25:
Draugr wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 14:42:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 14:39:
I just set up with another.... I'm seeing very very few games that allow sharing.

In my experience they don't list dupes, but I've never had a game that wasn't allowed. are you sure it's not just filtering that? Obviously this would make the shared game listed look a bit smaller, heh.

Could be dupes. Will review more, just getting into it.

Just to follow up as I was curious about this possible limitation after your mentioned it, from the FAQ:

Can all Steam games be shared with friends and family?
No, due to technical limitations, some Steam games may be unavailable for sharing. For example, titles that require an additional third-party key, account, or subscription in order to play cannot be shared between accounts.

and

Can region-restricted content be shared across regions?
No, any region restrictions will remain in place when lending or borrowing content.

News Comments > Steam Family Library Sharing Live
7. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 1, 2014, 14:42 Draugr

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 14:39:
I just set up with another.... I'm seeing very very few games that allow sharing.

In my experience they don't list dupes, but I've never had a game that wasn't allowed. are you sure it's not just filtering that? Obviously this would make the shared game listed look a bit smaller, heh.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 28, 2014, 22:26 Draugr

Morga wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 20:08:
it's here to stay and will become more valuable as it matures.

Based on... the insistence of everyone invested in bitcoin, monetarily speaking and otherwise.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite DLC to Add 1998 Mode
3. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC to Add 1998 Mode Feb 27, 2014, 19:10 Draugr

ViRGE wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 18:59:
Drayth wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 18:51:
Love the logo
I thought it was an allusion to the Tomb Raider box. But that was 1996.

I think its supposed to resemble the 'Thief' box.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
12. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 22, 2014, 14:46 Draugr

Cutter wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 13:18:
Only problem I have with G Fibe is that it's still $70 per month. That's effing expensive. Sure it's for a gig which is nice to have but totally unnecessary for most. They should have lower end tiers as well. As it stands this is just a service for the affluent and does nothing to address the needs of the poor and underserved.

I can't speak to other places, but in Provo there IS a free service (1Mb Up/5Mb Down)unless you want to pay for more. That will be available for seven years.

While I agree that those are people that need to be addressed, it's not like these people were getting internet and now that google has shown up it's being taken away, they never had free internet, why get upset that google doesn't offer it? (though they actually do, in this case.)

note: there is a 30 dollar 'construction fee.'

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
11. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 22, 2014, 14:36 Draugr

Frijoles wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 12:51:
Same thing happened in SLC when Google Fiber was announced in Provo (about 30 min away). My speed doubled about 3 weeks after the announcement. No additional cost. It was followed with email spam proclaiming how great Comcast was and how my blazing fast speed would be all I ever needed.

Google just announced they're trying to come to SLC. I'm hoping I get another speed boost from Comcast until they get here. Maybe they can double it again.

I really hope SLC get's it. Provo already had some infrastructure in place, so I can see why it appealed to them. Some people in SLC love to make a stink whenever there is talk of infrastructure changes like this, so we'll see.
While it is not a unique situation, SLC is definitely on the list of suckers that thought the telecoms/cablecos were interested in remaining competetive and not just maintaining their stranglehold.
Fortunately for me, in my location I can get my fiber internet provided through Xmission, so I couldn't be happier in that regard.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released
51. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 16:22 Draugr

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 13:44:
Anyone who believes that Mantle will be supported by more than a handful of games is delusional.

Except for all of EA's games that use frostbite 3, it's the engine that has had mantle support into it, not just BF4. That alone will be more than a handful.

The new thief, Star citizen, Star control (If that engine that was shown off a few weeks ago is in fact the star control engine.)

It's clearly getting some attention, whether that momentum keeps up I suppose remains to be seen, I don't think it's DOA by any means though, and at very least AMD users will be able to benefit from it for some time, even if it does dwindle away.

News Comments > Valve Beta Streaming Impressions
26. Re: Valve Beta Streaming Impressions Jan 27, 2014, 16:13 Draugr

jdreyer wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 14:37:
Panickd wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 13:25:
Jivaro wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 12:32:
Can a single gaming rig stream more than one game to multiple devices at a time? For example, if I want to play Skyrim on my laptop and my step-son wants to play *insert random FPS here* on his laptop, could we do that? Does it have to be local network streaming or can I do it from a hotel room 500 miles away?

Sorry if this was covered already...new to this particular topic. I haven't been paying attention to it.

Nope. To use the streaming service you must be on the same LAN and you must log in to the two instances of Steam with the same login. If you attempt to login on a third device it will ask you to logout on one of the other two devices. So, same local network, two login limit.

Edit: I haven't tried launching a different game directly on the host machine from what it's streaming but I can't imagine that Steam will allow that.
Could work in offline mode?

I've gotten in as well, the wired performance is nearly flawless, and on my wireless N network it's definitely playable.

as to it working offline mode, it seemed like it was trying to do so but not really succeeding, so Im not sure if it's intentional or not. I really hope that is the case, we'll see.

Many people are in the beta and don't realize it, I was hopping around houses showing it off but at one place after we updated both clients to beta my friend was able to do it using his account.(perhaps he just got an invite and didn't realize it, but he never joined the community group you were supposed to join to get one)

When you're streaming you're able pull up stats, on my wireless N (I'm at 40ms total input, so it's playable. This is contigent upon there not being too much wireless traffic as well, of course.

Edit: I was in the onlive beta for a while as well, and while they obviously serve content differently/different reasons, this looks leaps and bounds better, I rarely if ever feel like Im watching a youtube video becuase of compression, and it always felt like that on onlive.

Another edit: it is definitely noteworthy enough to remark that when I was doing it wirelessly I seemed to be capped at 30fps, and it would only broadcast it to the screen at 1720x1080...and I'm not sure as to why, exactly.

ASIDE from those things, it's still pretty impressive, not ideal for every game of course.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2014, 17:34.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC "Far Superior" to Next-Gen
30. Re: Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC Nov 30, 2013, 16:15 Draugr

Creston wrote on Nov 30, 2013, 13:18:
Slinkycatz wrote on Nov 30, 2013, 11:57:
All this PC power is pointless if it has to struggle with the pool of molasses that is DirectX.

Doesn't the xbone use DirectX as well?

As i understand it, it is it's own low level API, based on/around DirectX.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Shivah: Kosher Edition
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Shivah: Kosher Edition Nov 22, 2013, 13:35 Draugr

Shivakamini Somakandarkram!  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth
56. Re: Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth Nov 15, 2013, 16:31 Draugr

Task wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 14:41:
fiftykyu wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 12:37:
Played for about an hour, haven't had any crashes but it's early yet...

So far the voice acting is typical Egosoft, but if you've played any of their games you already know what to expect in that department.

For the voice acting, it didn't seem bad on youtube videos if you are talking about the English voiceovers. I've seen other games with way worse voiceovers. The devs and the game originate from Germany, so I'm guessing it sounds best in German without all the.. what's it called, idiosyncrasies of translation.

But, can anyone confirm if it is possible to align oneself with different factions? In X3 you could also be a Pirate if you wanted to :). Are there derelict ships to discover floating around in abandoned areas? Can you hack ships? Are the alien races in this game?

At a reddit AMA they did say there were derelicts.

News Comments > World of Warplanes Takes Off
15. Re: World of Warplanes Takes Off Nov 13, 2013, 21:55 Draugr

LittleMe wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 20:29:
It's a good game, I just hate how the camera is tied to controls so that if you want to turn hard you are facing backwards and can't see where you are flying. Fun game though and they've done a quality job to say the least. I'm very interested in the land/tank side of the game whenever that's available!

There is a button to reset your view forward.

You might want to check it out Facetracknoir as a free alternative to TrackIR, it just uses your face and a webcam, recently it has been updated so it can track using IR LEDs like freetrack TrackIR.

I want to get into full real battles so Im going ot check it out myself, as with the rift relatively close to releasing I don't want to dump the money on TackIR for sims.

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2013, 22:09.

13. Re: World of Warplanes Takes Off Nov 13, 2013, 20:12 Draugr

Asmo wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 19:18:
But in combat, the instructor stops you from pulling the more extreme manouvers including stalls etc. You also have no analog control over turns which means every turn is pulling as hard on the stick as possible, then the instructor mitigates the ill effects.

You can disable some of the instructor behaviors, which helps.
You need to go into the .ini and change the settings yourself, but they have said they are going to have these settings in-game later, and while it's not officially supported you're not at risk for messing with these settings.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2013, 14:29 Draugr

Tumbler wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 14:11:
Rigs wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 13:18:
is the one shot 'You've been Incapacitated' deal. I fuckin' HATE that! Especially when going against bombers that have rear guns/turrets (which the AI controls), they can take you out in less than 5 seconds with two shots! Your engine is just as vulnerable in that situation as well. I don't know if it's realistic, but it sure is aggravating as all hell gameplay-wise!
=-Rigs-=

Heh, I feel like it is realistic because the early planes deal with that way more than later planes so I have to assume the later planes have better armor to deflect bullets. As you move up I find it happens less often or maybe I've just stopped using approaches that make those shots common.

The bombers in general feel overpowered, they're extremely hard to shoot down, the AI is brutal in the turrets and it's common to simply kill the pilot rather than shoot down the plane. You can even equip the turrets with armor piercing bullets! (typically toward the end of the bomber tech tree)

But this also happens as pilots in a bomber. You'll be flying a B25 with a ton of guns on the front, going head on, thinking, hahah, I got you now! POWPOWPOWPOW, DING, you're dead. SON OF A !#$!$!%. You get to watch your bomber falling to the groud...

I think it has mostly to do wth the lead indicator in arcade mode, in historical battles the amount of 'headshots' I dole out and recieve is significantly less.
AS many here no doubt are aware, the lead indicator basically is centered on the center of gravity of the plane your aiming at (which may in fact be a terrible spot to shoot at,) so if you actually aim 'around' the lead indicator, it can be more effective at taking people out (i.e., roughly aiming a little ahead of the indicator is going target their engine and probably pilot more effectively.)

News Comments > FTL: Faster Than Light Expansion Next Year
14. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light Expansion Next Year Nov 11, 2013, 23:38 Draugr

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 21:38:
Now if only I could get vanilla events to line up so I could finally get that damned crystal cruiser...

I seem to recall there being an update that addressed this issue. Far after it should have been fixed of course, but it silently happened.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
14. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 7, 2013, 15:52 Draugr

Silicon Avatar wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 14:55:
Galciv 3 is something I'm pretty excited for. I was happy to read they had already been working on it 2 years.

I'm excited to see they have some new artists in there, while GalCiv 2 was awesome I don't consider it pretty by any means.

News Comments > Steam Box Previews
13. Re: Steam Box Previews Nov 4, 2013, 15:09 Draugr

ForgedReality wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 14:09:
However, I've said it before: OpenGL just doesn't have the chops to compete with the likes of DirectX/Direct3D at this point. Hopefully this will bring the pressure required to finally bring OGL into the current gen.

Microsoft should be patting itself on the back for what appears to be a job well done.

I don't know who told you that about OpenGL, but it's incorrect.

News Comments > Total War: ROME II Blood & Gore DLC Released
8. Re: Total War: ROME II Blood & Gore DLC Released Nov 1, 2013, 04:25 Draugr

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 00:04:
Draugr wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 23:09:
Simon Says wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 22:01:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 20:22:
Glad they found the time to finish up the DLC. Have they found the time to finish the game yet?

Actually, that should've been in the original release, that's puke in the plate DLC at it's finest. Disgusting.

If DLC is free then it affects the rating of the game, by charging a fee for this they get to avoid an M rating, which they might see as important.

Not that releasing dumb DLC just to squeeze money out isn't anything new, and obviously that can still fit under that description.

Free or paid doesn't matter, if a DLC is provided in a separately licensed package, it gets its own rating if needed and does not affect the rating of the base game. Yes, I've googled this shit today, because every doofus on the internet is using that excuse. There's nothing stopping them from releasing the DLC for free (see the high-res texture pack for Skyrim, etc.), so if it's not the rating and it's not a technical limitation, it's just greed.

Which is something I acknowledged, it can certainly be both.

626 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo