Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Draugr

Real Name Draugr   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Draugr
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 5, 2006, 20:54
Total Comments 626 (Apprentice)
User ID 24786

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Battle.net Authenticator Class Action Suit
20. Re: Battle.net Authenticator Class Action Sui Nov 9, 2012, 01:36 Draugr

Satoru wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 01:25:
Prez wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 01:05:
Satoru wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 00:58:
Prez wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 00:26:
Yeah, if there is a piece of hardware (or complimenting software) that is essentially mandatory, I expect them to provide it.

This. It is insulting beyond belief that Blizzard would have the gall to charge extra or require use of third party solutions for security.

You don't HAVE to use the authenticator. Only if you want to use the RMAH. And you can use it FOR FREE if you have a smartphone. Thus the entire concept of 'enriching' themselves is entirely logically inconsistent.

I agree that the Class Action suit is a bit goofy, but their game is coded very specifically to strongly encourage (if only a hair short of mandating) use of the auction house, then obviously the added security of an authenticator is a must. It ought to have been provided by them instead of making people pony up more cash for one or use a third party one. The former is just a cynical milking of your fanbase and the latter is just carelessly dismissive of their own obligation to make sure people using their game's features are as protected as they can be. In my opinion of course.

I use the Gold AH fine to level up my char to get stuff. If you just play the game, and want to use the Gold AH you don't need the authenticator at all. If you have a reasonable password policy you're fine. All claims of 'mass hijacks' were just people with bad/reused passwords. And again you can get the authenticator for free via any smartphone, or even on yoru desktop by using the Android SDK to emulate one. If cost is really a huge issue there are ways around it. The auth is just added security, but isn't actually requirerd unless you use the RMAH. Otherwise it's just 'nice to have'. The problem is that people who use these games have incredibly bad password, or are easily tricked into giving them away for FREE GOLD or whatever nonsense they want in the game. User stupidity is the reason authentictors exist for about 95% of the population.

You only NEED the auth for the RMAH. and again you don't 'need' to use that. You can use the Gold AH to get what you need.

So there is a part of the game that you don't get access to unless an authenticator is involved? Sounds like getting screwed to me, especially when you consider this only became policy AFTER the games release. Parts of the game were taken away from you unless you met their NEW criteria.
I don't know or particularly care if its worthy of a class action suit, but them providing a solution is how I feel about the situation.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battle.net Authenticator Class Action Suit
11. Re: Battle.net Authenticator Class Action Sui Nov 8, 2012, 23:36 Draugr

Tomas wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 22:51:
I get more Blizzard spam than any other type which is pretty impressive. That said, I find it rather ridiculous that I'm expected to buy a special device to protect my accounts. I can see it being necessary for WoW as it's an online only game, but for Diablo III that just doesn't make sense. I mean, I just want to play with my buddies on the LAN. Oh, wait...

So lame, obnoxious joking aside, I was pretty ticked when I saw all the account theft going on with D3, and when I was pretty much told to buy a device to secure my account that was kind of like getting kicked in the jimmy. I was under the impression that you couldn't use your cell phone for D3...did that change or was I just fed bad informatio

Yeah, if there is a piece of hardware (or complimenting software) that is essentially mandatory, I expect them to provide it.

They don't sell Guitar Hero without the toy guitar, if this is their solution for security that's fine, but they should do something to make sure it is widely implemente

News Comments > BioWare Mythic Now Just Mythic
32. Re: BioWare Mythic Now Just Mythic Nov 8, 2012, 21:25 Draugr

Tehol wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 20:14:
seriously?
the guy must have beaten up a lot in school.

Meh, I don't think it's THAT uncommon.

On a related note (though still off topic) I went to school with a guy named 'Courtney Love.' Poor bastard.
Everyone was cool to him though, I guess people figured he had it bad enough.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Blac Nov 8, 2012, 21:21 Draugr

PHJF wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 21:10:
I'm not quite sure what to make of all thi

Damnit, I was gonna make a similar jok

News Comments > BioWare Mythic Now Just Mythic
30. Re: BioWare Mythic Now Just Mythic Nov 8, 2012, 20:01 Draugr

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 19:57:
Creston wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 17:30:
What happened to your fucking Artistic Integrity, Casey? You knew fucking well what people wanted to see in ME3.

Creston
Watch out, she'll start saying you're a misogynist because you're attacking her vision.

Uhm, Casey Hudson is a man.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
66. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2012, 16:09 Draugr

RollinThundr wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 15:18:
Cutter wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 15:08:
Oh don't mind Thunbder, everyone knows by now that like most of the rank and file GOP he'll never let actual facts stand in the way of a good rant against the Democrats. Obama isn't a miracle worker and it's hard to get anything done when the GOP oppose the man at every turn no matter how much he strives to cross the aisle and work together. And how would Romney's plans be any better? Oh wait, he doesn't have any. At leas none that he's shared publicly. What we've seen privately is that he believes at least 47% of the country are parasites who shouldn't even be entitled to food. Yeah, I can see where the GOP is a real boon to working people everywhere just like they always are...cut taxes on the rich and big biz, farm out domestic jobs, keep letting the military-industrial complex bankrupt the country. And the most fascinating part is they convince their followers to believe that all the resultant problem of that is the fault of the democrats. Amazing!!! It's like the greatest illusion of all time.

And yes, there are pretty major differences in the left and right, just go google some voting records.

The fact of the matter is Cutter, his party controlled both the house and the senate for his first 2 years of office and he still couldn't even pass a budget. (still waiting btw) Yet it's still Bush's fault, or the Republicans fault, or its little Timmy down the street's fault. Clinton actually worked with the Republicans, if you can honestly say Obama has done the same I'll just come out and say it bluntly, you're an idiot.

Liberals amaze me at their ability to consistantly blame everyone else yet manage to never take responsibility for anything unless it's a good thing.

Said Rollinthundr, as he blamed Obama for everything that is currently wrong with the country. Undoubtedly a Romney presidency would never discuss the policies of the previous administration and how that effects people in the present day! 'It's their fault, choose me I'll do better,' is ultimately the crux of any election.

If you're completely oblivious to Mitch Mconnell's comment of making Obama a one term president, and you don't take into account that filibusters/cloture votes are basically required to get anything of value done, then I could see why you'd think the way you do.
Of course that was the idea, All the opposition needed to do was sit on there hands for four years, not do anything, and then blame the president for them not doing their jobs. Funnily enough, the conservatives in congress blame Obama for them not doing their job and you're perfectly willing to accept that, while on the other hand you accuse Obama of the same behavior, blaming others, but when he does it it's completely unacceptable.
It's almost like you're a hypocrite!

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/images/cloture-stats-chart2.jpg
The amount of cloture votes needed to even discuss things during these last four years of congress has been comically high, almost double when compared to the last decade combined. Everyone can think of one or two old conservative positions that were abandoned and decried when obama looked close to implementing them. Shit 4 years ago Romney ran (partially) on implementing his Mass. healthcare plan, and now he is running with the intention of repealing it.

I'm sorry you don't understand that spending in a recession is important to things not taking even longer to recover. Austerity has proven in the past (and in the present) to negatively influence a recession/depression.

Why look at any data though when fox news is around to tell us what to think.

Why are liberals so deathly afraid of coming to the understanding that we can't substain going the way we are. It's just not humanly possible I'm sorry.

I don't think they are, they just have no interested in destroying the safety net to do so when we're ready to go to war at a moments notice without concerning ourselves with the cost. It's also fair to point out that gutting programs isn't the only way to resolve this issue. But for one side that is basically the solution. I think it's also worth pointing out that governments and debt don't really work in the same way you running a household debt does. Does the defecit need to be addressed? Yes. Is it the bogeyman it's made out to be? No.

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 16:24 Draugr

Jivaro wrote on Nov 2, 2012, 16:06:
[and then letting them continue doing whatever it is that is making them hot...except now with access to even more resources.

And what has made star wars hot over the last decade? everything involving episode 1-3/clone wars, os if those are your jam then I don't see any reason why you'll be disappointed with whats to follow. Just like when George lucas was running the show, I'm not expecting too much. I don't really see it as good news or bad news.

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Nov 2, 2012, 16:23 Draugr

-fail double post-  

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2012, 14:25 Draugr

Beamer wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 14:10:
Bhruic wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 11:17:
If you're a website whose revenue is entirely based on pageviews and clicks

How they can go from that to saying that readers aren't paying the bills, I don't know. Do they think those pageviews and clicks are coming from the companies?

But who is the money coming from?

Regardless, this acts like it's something new. It's always been ads driving game journalism. Always. This isn't from pageclicks, 10 years ago it was just paper ads.

No change. Industry is as it always was. People are more aware now, and given how spread out and easy to enter this industry, some people find their way in that are far more susceptible. But that influence was always around.

Exactly, when it comes to games journalism this has always been par for the course. This isn't some situation that has developed over time.

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2012, 14:46.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2012, 00:55 Draugr

Flatline wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 00:23:
In a perfect world yes her writing career would be in the toilet. Sadly, she ain't going nowhere because she has TITTIES!

No actually, the reason her writing career won't be in the toilet is because she isn't doing anything out of the norm for a gaming 'journalist.' In fact pointing that out is what started this whole thing in the first place. It just so happens she was selected as one of the many people who could have been used as an example. A far more disappointing reason.

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2012, 01:01.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Sells 5M - Halloween SHiFT Codes
11. Re: Borderlands 2 Sells 5M - Halloween SHiFT Codes Oct 31, 2012, 17:32 Draugr

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 17:22:
I find the key thing to be a waste of time and use a trainer to keep track of them. At LEAST they could do is patch in the ability to cut and paste for the pc.

Copy+Paste works just fine.

181. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 14:26 Draugr

Creston wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 10:55:

Since that was what the original Star Wars was, I'd be perfectly happy with Pirates of the Caribbean in space.

Creston

yeah, they are similar in terms of them being family movies and not a kids movie, but again my point was that expecting Disney to move star wars towards appealing (moreso) to an older demographic then what it is geared towards nowadays, seems unlikely. Especially considering who they were acquired by.

I'm definitely willing to check it out, why the hell not? I'm just not holding my breath.

Jivaro wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 12:13:
George makes the big announcement!

Comedy gold!

142. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 04:24 Draugr

El Pit wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 01:40:
Draugr wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 01:29:
Hah yeah, Disney acquiring the star wars franchise will undoubtedly shift it to a more 'adult-oriented' tone..
I think the best you could hope for is basically "Pirates of The Caribbean" in space. Something along those lines, anyway.
We'll see. Buena Vista (Disney) is also behind movies like e.g. Sixth Sense, Face/Off, Prestige (directed by Chris Nolan), Apocalypto... They're not only into kid's movies.

You also forgot to mention that it owns Mirimax, so technically you could count pulp fiction among other things on that list, but that is beside the point which I (poorly) was trying to make.
While they could do that with the franchise, I doubt they bought it to do so, so the chances it's handed off to one of their other production companies for something interesting to happen to it, I see as slim to nil.
Disney is going to want to keep it as kid oriented as it is now for the same reason george lucas did, Money. Disney also has a lot of attractions based in Star Wars, and obviously they want people to attend those so with that in mind do you really see it taking that path?

I'm not saying it HAS to be this way, I just find it unlikely that it will go another way. I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised though.

138. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2012, 01:29 Draugr

El Pit wrote on Oct 31, 2012, 01:16:
My thoughts as a Star Wars fan since 1979 (and until 1999! ): Dear Disney, it's great that you bought one of the greatest franchises ever. Now, you DO know that Chris Nolan is finished with the Batman movies and is THE guy to go to for a more adult-oriented episode VII, right? And about Joss Whedon: No. I don't want a colorful, funny, action movie. I want more dark drama in Star Wars, like e.g. the confrontation of Vader and Luke in The Empire Strikes Back. That's the way Disney should go with Star Wars. Alxo interesting directors: Alex Proyas (I, Robot and Dark City and The Crow) and David Fincher (Fight Club, The Game, Se7en). Don't go for less, let each of them or Nolan alone direct the next three episodes. You can't go wrong with these guys.

Hah yeah, Disney acquiring the star wars franchise will undoubtedly shift it to a more 'adult-oriented' tone..
I think the best you could hope for is basically "Pirates of The Caribbean" in space. Something along those lines, anyway.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 6, 2012, 14:11 Draugr

Uh oh, apple better sue them!  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
164. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 3, 2012, 15:51 Draugr

Beamer wrote on Oct 3, 2012,:
I mean, it's true, America does basically have 1 party, but...

So true.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
160. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 3, 2012, 15:35 Draugr

Watching some people jump through hoops so they can (unsuccessfully) avoid the bigot label, is pretty amusing, in a sad, how-intellectually bankrupt-can-they be sort of way.
"I'm not bigoted, I'm just actively speaking out about something that doesn't involve me at all. Also I don't care if they do it, even though the whole reason i entered the conversation was so i could complain about gay people doing stuff 'normal' people do, together."

Can you believe Prop 8 was allowed in the first place? In a state that's primarily democratic?!? I find that hard to believe.

If you understand anything about how money and religion play into politics, then its not surprising at all (hint: Just because you dont live in CA doesn't mean you can't influence CA's election, especially with citizens united, The mormon church had quite a stake in getting prop 8 to pass.)

I don't know how interested you'd be in it, but "8: A Mormon Proposition" is a documentary that does a good job exploring how the Mormon church was involved. Obviously there is more than any one factor, this is a big one though.

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Mentioned
30. Re: Borderlands 3 Mentioned Oct 1, 2012, 15:11 Draugr

ochentay4 wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 11:55:
I would prefer first to polish this game till it blinds me as there are still bugs and performance sucks. I get FPS 30-60fps fluctuations all the time at max quality. It drives me nuts so I set 30fps max which sucks. I still cant get why this game FPS fluctuates so much since its UE3 and its visuals are crap, really low res textures, really low poly count and my pc kicks ass every damn game in town.

Also, instead of talking about Borderlands 3, compensate existing customers giving really good DLC, for Preorder and Season Pass suckers.

I find this game more and more boring as I lvl up... sigh. I almost regret buying this game.

Do you have PhysX set to low or off when your at max settings? I would recommend that because that can really bog down your GPU. The only time fluctuation has been an issue is when I went to discover how it ran with PhysX set to high.

This would also explain why it not consistent in its performance, because until you get into a fight and debris starts getting generated everywhere, having physX isn't such an issue.

News Comments > On Wasteland 2 Writing
9. Re: On Wasteland 2 Writing Sep 29, 2012, 02:53 Draugr

It's like this guy knows exactly what I want to hear.  

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Sep 28, 2012, 19:21 Draugr

What a stupid idea for an article. I dont think anyone needed this spelled out for them.

When it comes to most media, there are plenty of examples of things that do, and don't age well.

If we took a sampling of movies from 2001, we could find one or two good ones that are going to hold up, the rest is all garbage, though it may have been lauded at the time. Same goes for music, so it's no shock to see it applied to other media.

626 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo