Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for wonkawonka

Real Name wonkawonka   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2006, 12:37
Total Comments 268 (Amateur)
User ID 24649

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III 1.0.3 Skill Changes Found?
18. Re: Diablo III 1.0.3 Skill Changes Found? Jun 17, 2012, 02:36 wonkawonka

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jun 16, 2012, 21:31:
When will they learn that they also need to buff other stuff when they nerf one thing?

Hear hear.
Is it that hard for these idiots to understand that having for example pants that give you +1000 vitality might be as useful as the resistance stuff, as opposed to +150 vitality?
Resistance will give you let's say 50% damage reduction. Then if you want a comparable vitality item, you want that item to give you double the vitality. Not 5%.
Nerfing resistance to bring it back down to the lowest common denominator will only increase the difficulty of inferno. At some point no one will be able to play it.

Then again, Blizzard loves for people to bitch so I think their grand master plan is to make it so that no one can play Inferno to the end. Slowly they're turning the screw of the vise on our private parts, boys and girls.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire
8. Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Jun 15, 2012, 11:09 wonkawonka

Payne has always been about the goddamn STORY.
You know, that thing that is missing these days. How's MP3 on that?
Was going to get it in the summer.

Edit: posted at the same time as ASeven who answered my question. Thanks!

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2012, 11:29.

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfixes and More
30. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 10, 2012, 04:25 wonkawonka

FloorPie wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 23:55:
Dev wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 23:33:
PropheT wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 23:06:
They need to make the drops actually be drops and not have entire categories of gear be based on the auction house. For lack of a better way to put it, fuck the economy. The auction house should augment the game, not replace the loot tables like it did.
Blizzard CLAIMS that the game was built to play entirely without needing to use the AH if so desired.

Hah, yeah if you wish to slowly grind through normal getting a headache and it taking twice as long. Nightmare+ will be even worse. Even well geared my DH had trouble with Izual and Diablo solo, several deaths seemingly due to server lag.

I had no problem obliterating normal with my DH without ever using the auction house. It's only by act II Nightmare that it became impossible to ignore. Essentially Blizzard is saying "you can win the game normally without the AH". And that is really just stupid. Having the AH makes everyone end up with the same builds because the only thing that matters is gold. Then Blizz will go and say "hey, we got a great idea! Let's nerf the drops so that the AH doesn't have 50 of the critical '+x to all resistances, +y% attack speed' item, and that people will have to do something else".
You know where that will end up...

I think Blizz is chewing much more than it can digest

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Videos
27. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 13:03 wonkawonka

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 11:40:
So saying chess plays fine is an oxymoron. Chess is broken, play something better and worthwhile, then make an AI that can beat you at Go ;p

I agree, but the Bobby Fischer random chess variant fixes a lot of problems.

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Videos
26. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 13:01 wonkawonka

reisub wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 09:43:
space captain wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 09:25:
...you cant have a good game without good graphics
So wrong.

+1. Case in point: Ultima V

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer
3. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Jun 5, 2012, 02:39 wonkawonka

Fletch wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 01:52:
No gameplay. Strange how the original had so much atmosphere with a slideshow intro and some simple, eerie background music, and this trailer does nothing for me.

I want to play X-Com, not Xbox.

+1

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
12. Re: Diablo III Patched Jun 1, 2012, 11:27 wonkawonka

The AH is basically a "I need better shit now, what's on sale for cheap?"
If an item hasn't been bid on in the first 3 hours, likely it'll never sell. And every item I've sold or bought has been at buyout price. The speed at which one goes up in levels makes it so that you have to look very very far ahead when actually bidding for an item.
36 hours from now you'll be 5-10 levels ahead, and who knows by then if you'll be lucky to find the items that make this one useless?

No, it's all about choosing the stats you want and looking at the buyout prices.

News Comments > Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots
31. Re: Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots May 18, 2012, 08:58 wonkawonka

A couple of points:

1- the demo was made specifically to show what could not be done until now. And mostly that means totally dynamic lighting from a massive number of different sources. Screenshots don't show anything. What this means for devs is that they can build dynamic environments (read: destructible) without worrying about how shadows and lighting will look like when that torch that was on the wall is gone since the wall has come down.

2- next-gen consoles will at best be at the level of 80% of release-date-current top-of-the-line PCs. Which means as usual that within a couple of years most PCs will be more powerful. Within 5 years they become a joke, just like we've got now. What I'm really worried about is how the Epic guys are scared that we won't even reach the 80% power! More like 50% because they need to keep the costs down.

Which to me means only one thing: re-fragmentation of the gaming market, with the most advanced games coming on PCs, then consoles mass market and tablets just slightly behind. In fact tablets may well become indistinguishable from consoles at some point in the near future.

News Comments > Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans
19. Re: Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans May 4, 2012, 02:51 wonkawonka

I just finished it. There's something fulfilling running around essentially invulnerable with a decked-out RPG with infinite ammo.
I had a lot of fun playing it.

News Comments > Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer
2. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 10:09 wonkawonka

I haven't played the beta so I don't know any class.
It looks like some kind of all-around magician, mostly summoner and controller. Why is it dumb? Is it missing critical aspects?

News Comments > Prince of Persia Source Code Leaps to Freedom
1. Re: Prince of Persia Source Code Leaps to Freedom Apr 18, 2012, 09:47 wonkawonka

The assembly source code is very clean, and the documentation Mechner wrote for those who would port PoP to other systems shows how detailed and precise he was.
Of course a big part of this was how everything needed to fit in minuscule amounts of memory...

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+
9. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Concludes at $3M+ Apr 17, 2012, 12:22 wonkawonka

And where shipping really matters (international) they request that you pledge an additional $10-15 to cover the cost.
So I don't think they'll "waste" more than 10% of the budget on handling the rewards and the transaction fees. That will leave them with $2.7MM to work with.

Digging into it some more, it's only at the $50 pledge and above that you get physical rewards. That's 8000 regular boxes to ship. Then at $100 they need to ship deluxe boxes to 5000 backers.
So to less than 13,000 (don't know how many are international) people you need to ship a box in the US. Say the whole thing costs $10/box, that's $130,000 and it's massively overstated.

I don't think they'll get even close to my original estimate of 10% of budget going to rewards and transaction fees.

News Comments > Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned
69. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 13:45 wonkawonka

Another piracy flamewar...
To me piracy means lost sales. Yes. But piracy can be mitigated immensely with a good product, good support, etc.. etc..
In fact, acknowledging and planning for piracy will make the publisher & developer allocate assets in a much better way to end up with a much better product. When Bulletstorm insiders are pissed off at the quality of the game shipped and DON'T RECOMMEND their own game, what does that mean to you?
Piracy is here to stay. Forever. Live with it. Don't over-allocate resources fighting it. And that also means do not over-market your product hoping to sucker people into buying it. That tactic always fails. Instead, reallocate the marketing resources into improving the product.

News Comments > Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned
42. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 11:38 wonkawonka

I got a free boxed copy from a friend who was working on the game at EA at the time. I wouldn't have bought it at retail.
My friend himself told me the PC port was crap, and all versions were riddled with bugs.
He was very unhappy about the state of the game upon release. And he expected the game to do poor-to-average. All this talk of piracy is just an easy way out.

Personally with low expectations I found the game surprisingly fun. Would have been a good buy at $20.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Funded; Mac Threshold Reached
15. Re: Shadowrun Returns Funded; Mac Threshold Reached Apr 6, 2012, 03:41 wonkawonka

NKD wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 00:27:
True, it will be a lot harder to get Kickstarters off the ground once the Kickstarter fans have been burned a couple times. And by "burned" I mean that from their perspective they feel they've been burned. The problem with reviving these older properties is that even with the original minds at the helm, the odds of satisifying the majority of the old fans are pretty slim.

Hardcore old school gamers are nigh impossible to please because the closer you get to delivering the game they want, the more they'll blow the little differences out of proportion.

And that's exactly why Fargo & co are actively and massively involving the funders as early as possible in the process, so that expectations are constantly met. They know full well that this model will die an early death if the first few games don't ship or ship in a disappointing state for the majority of the funders.
On the other hand, if you get a couple of successes right off the bat, then the story changes. I can imagine EA marketeers thinking of ways to "test the market" with KS, and looking very closely at the ratio between pre-production funding and post-release sales of those first few games.
And as more and more games are funded this way, you'll start seeing lower funding cutoffs because devs will know how much they can expect to make on post-release sales, and will be willing to take a larger risk.
I've already funded W2 and Adventure, and I'm going to go get Shadowrun now. I'm loving this model where I know that my money goes to the devs.

News Comments > ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut
14. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 10:11 wonkawonka

"We ain't gonna fix the gameplay, we're gonna fix the movie"
That's what you do when you created an interactive movie in the first place.

News Comments > Prince of Persia Source Code Rediscovered
10. Re: Prince of Persia Source Code Rediscovered Mar 30, 2012, 00:09 wonkawonka

My //e still works fine and so do the disks. One of the drives has a problem but the other is ok and I can still play One-on-One (and Karateka!).  

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Multiplayer Trailer
10. Re: Max Payne 3 Multiplayer Trailer Mar 29, 2012, 10:01 wonkawonka

Here's my take:

Player A has player B in his FOV.
A activates Bullet Time.
For A and B, time slows down. A is able to target B at regular speeds. B is only able to target A at slowed down speeds.
As long as B is in A's FOV, B is in A's bullet time "web". He can get out of it either by leaving A's FOV or by activating bullet time himself, accelerating his targeting.
Anyone else visualizing A and B from outside A's FOV will see both players moving through the XYZ space slowly but A will be able to target/turn at regular speeds.

So a player activating bullet time gets a good boost against anyone in his FOV but has a problem against all others. This will make MP mayhem

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Face Fix Found
12. Re: Mass Effect 3 Face Fix Found Mar 24, 2012, 05:59 wonkawonka

To add to @Jerykk's point, the fact that the reapers are synthetic is completely irrelevant to the story.
I haven't played ME3 yet (waiting for a suitably fixed version), but to me the only reason they made the reapers synthetic is to show a massively advanced and god-like enemy. Because at our current level of knowledge, it is easiest for us to visualize advancement to the singularity through man-machine bonding.
After all, is anyone today discussing adding neurons to the brain or finding ways to make their connections faster?

News Comments > Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening?
15. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening? Mar 23, 2012, 12:58 wonkawonka

ASeven wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 12:41:
Haven't bought a UBI game since the DRMless Prince of Persia and will not give them a single cent until they remove the DRM.

Pretty much what happened to me too. Not specifically because I wanted it to happen, but it was always the little things. Always-on internet connection? Can't do, my connect is flakey. Read about DRM being buggy, don't want to bother. Can't install on multiple computers (I travel a lot and upgrade a lot), skip this one. Etc... etc...

In the end, looking back, I haven't bought anything.

268 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo