Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for wonkawonka

Real Name wonkawonka   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2006, 12:37
Total Comments 259 (Amateur)
User ID 24649

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > Skyrim Beta Patch
22. Re: Skyrim Beta Patch Mar 4, 2013, 16:24 wonkawonka

By the time I reach immortality, I'm bored with redoing all the old quests. So I keep going with the same char to do all the remaining quests, but while he was the über-shadow-assassin-sniper of death, he now is Gandalf the Pink on his way to the 7-Dan White.
Of course by the time I'm 75% done with the game, my char is God. In Everything.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Lord British's Countdown
24. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 3, 2013, 10:29 wonkawonka

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 21:45:
My question is how many people made the Ultima games? Anyone remember Brad McQuaid and 'The Vision'? One person alone was NEVER responsible for the classic's we love, and the name 'Lord British' just doesn't carry the weight it use to.

Actually Garriott is absolutely responsible for the classics you love. He singlehandedly made U1 through U4. By the time U5 came along he had help, but he was by far and away the main guy, including design and the major share of coding. For the subsequent games he was the lead designer.

News Comments > Deus Ex Movie Details
5. Re: Deus Ex Movie Details Feb 21, 2013, 09:06 wonkawonka

Easter egg references sprinkled through the movie in subtle ways (a poster, an overhead newscast telling a story, etc) are cool. But no more than that. Anyway, the setting really does lend itself to a number of great movies, including the story of DX:HR  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 03:43 wonkawonka

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 03:16:
Pete wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 00:24:
Oh wow, that intro cinematic is cringe worthy.
That "enhanced" intro was terrible. 15 year old CGI intro in 640x480 was better and that's saying something and I'm not even waxing nostalgic.
The new intro is HORRIBLE. Just seeing that face rotate 30 degrees when supposedly the hand flexes on the neck makes me totally reconsider getting this. If the quality of the "improvements" is as amateurish as this, they can shove it where it don't shine.

News Comments > Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars
3. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 11:36 wonkawonka

Now they've got huge pressure to deliver. It won't be easy, and they can't fall back on the tried-and-true "drop features x, y and z to make launch date or budget".
The problem with crowdfunding is that you are pre-selling something fixed. If they fail it'll be a huge blow to large crowdfunded endeavors that'll take years to recover.

Let's hope we can play that game the way we all dream it's going to be!

News Comments > Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2
8. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 12, 2012, 21:43 wonkawonka

So is it time to buy ME3?
Or should I just skip it?

News Comments > One More "Defining" Game for Molyneux
22. Re: One More "Defining" Game for Molyneux Nov 10, 2012, 22:56 wonkawonka

Let's at least acknowledge that he did make Populous, Dungeon Keeper, B&W and Fable.
That's more than most in this industry!
And he's supposedly credited for inventing the God game genre, whether it's true or not. He certainly had the first big success in the genre though.

News Comments > BioWare Mythic Now Just Mythic
17. Re: BioWare Mythic Now Just Mythic Nov 8, 2012, 13:32 wonkawonka

Verno wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 13:06:
At least they're not at Microsoft levels of brand ineptness, I think Microsoft has rebranded their online divisions over a dozen times.

The marketing/PR people need a job too, you know.

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfixes
11. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes Nov 1, 2012, 20:12 wonkawonka

descender wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 17:53:
I don't see how any of the issues with Inferno are different than people complaining about being one-shot killed in the upper levels of TL2 hardcore/elite difficulties.

Excuse me? I've been playing an engineer in TL2 in elite mode, and I'm nowhere near an expert at these kinds of ARPGs but I've found it quite enjoyable. I'm now in Act 3 and I've never had an issue of one-shots. Sure you need to build up resistances, but it's nothing compared to f***** Diablo's Inferno Acts 2 and above. It's easy and smooth, and yes I die a lot and I need to kite all the time, but that's on par with the highest levels of difficulty that one would expect. I've never had to spend more than 10 minutes on a boss. That is NOTHING compared to the idiocy of Diablo 3's blue mobs that are often simply unbeatable (in 1.0.4 that is).

News Comments > The Longest Journey Sequel Plans
15. Re: The Longest Journey Sequel Plans Nov 1, 2012, 20:06 wonkawonka

cronik wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 19:48:
Prez wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 19:08:

The Longest Journey is widely regarded as the best PC adventure game ever made, so I bought it and tried it. 'The puzzles make sense' I was told.

You got told wrong bro, the puzzles don't make sense.

I've been playing adventure games since Transylvania on the Apple ][, and I can guarantee you that the one thing TLJ doesn't have is puzzles that make sense. Everything else is awesome.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
21. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 29, 2012, 07:07 wonkawonka

Yay for Torchlight II still being up there!
Love the game, even on epic difficulty (haven't tried any other difficulty). And I generally never play on hard modes.

News Comments > Diablo III Version 1.0.5 Tomorrow
26. Re: Diablo III Version 1.0.5 Tomorrow Oct 16, 2012, 08:13 wonkawonka

As long as the loot drops are geared for chinese bots, the game is useless.
I've been playing Torchlight 2 at the hardest difficulty level and it's FUN. And it you can actually play it with YOUR OWN LOOT.
What an amazing thing, eh?

News Comments > Diablo III Monster Power Detailed
5. Re: Diablo III Monster Power Detailed Oct 12, 2012, 11:17 wonkawonka

RailWizard wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 11:14:
All these fucking retards have to do is turn up the drop rates, but nooooo that would just be too easy for them. Oh well, enjoy your death spiral into mediocrity.

But nooooo! They can't! It would flood their auction house!!! We can't have that, can we?
Oh wait. It's already flooded. Oops.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Retro City Rampage
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Retro City Rampage Oct 10, 2012, 07:08 wonkawonka

Jeez! It's like GTA, Hang On, Mario, Donkey Kong, Smash TV and P.O.W. all put together!
Quite impressive and I'll have to fight really hard not to get that thing... too much work, no time to waste but damn it looks fun.
Especially if there's the disgusting purple CGA.

EDIT: forgot the king of them all, Robotron!
(shameless plug: I got to such high levels in Robotron we had to stop playing due to time constraints. The trick was 2 player, 1 for movement and 1 for shooting)

News Comments > Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions
38. Re: Torchlight II and Demo Available; MMO Questions Sep 21, 2012, 06:47 wonkawonka

Prez wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 05:03:
I never tried Diablo 3 (nor would I given how shitty the regressive changes Blizzard has shoehorned into it sound), so I can't make a side-by-side comparison. I will say that Torchlight 2 is just about the game I wanted when Diablo 3 was announced all that time ago. I'm thrilled that Runic stepped up to fill the huge gap left by D3's immense suckitude.

Let me keep it simple for you:
Diablo 3 is a game of loot where you'll never get any if you're not a Chinese bot.

News Comments > Saints Row: The Third; Sale, Free Weekend
12. Re: Saints Row: The Third; Sale, Free Weekend Sep 21, 2012, 06:44 wonkawonka

netnerd85 wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 05:36:
Prez wrote on Sep 21, 2012, 05:19:
I had a ridiculous amount of fun with SR3. It seems that too many developers forget that their game needs to be fun first. Worry about making it realistic/violent/gory/story-driven later. Not SR3 - it effervesces with funness!
Too True!

+100 !!!
Compare how one gets out of his house and into the world:
Skyrim: open the door, walk out.
SR3: push a half-naked gimp out of the way, dive into the pool and get out on the other side, run to the edge of the helipad and jump out, open the chute at the last instant while angling towards an old lady whose back you'll break when landing, hijack a car and then you're ready to go.

News Comments > Chris Roberts Game Countdown?
22. Re: Chris Roberts Game Countdown? Sep 10, 2012, 17:09 wonkawonka

The intro email says:
I encourage you to
introduce yourself at the forums and help us build a great community
of serious space sim enthusiasts! I'll see you there.
Note "serious space sim".
The question is: does "serious" apply to "space sim" or "enthusiasts"?

News Comments > Chris Roberts Game Countdown?
21. Re: Chris Roberts Game Countdown? Sep 10, 2012, 17:08 wonkawonka

Did you see the capital ship drawing? Did you? Did you? Did you?

please please please please PLEASE YOU $^%#&*^%&*#$^ %(#*$&%*($#&%*(#$&($#* DON'T MAKE AN MMO!!!!!!!
pretty please with a cherry on top.

PS: coop would rock.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Combat Mission: Fortress Italy
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Combat Mission: Fortress Italy Aug 3, 2012, 04:43 wonkawonka

I stopped playing with the marines version, then the other day I picked up on a Steam sale Wargame:European Escalation. Supposedly a good game like CM but more accessible.
Well, in these kinds of game "more accessible" means lacking some critical features like perfect control over squad tactics and position, and in the end W:EE is utter arcade garbage where you feel like you can't use your expertise in any good way.
CM is the only game today where you feel that you really can make a difference by micromanaging your troops.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Kickstarter
20. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 13:16 wonkawonka

Cutter wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 12:23:
You really want to wear one of these things for hours at a time? Can't see your controls. Knocking shit over when you reach for a drink/food/smoke. No thanks. And the only thing it's really practical for are FPS' and even then I can see some limitations and problems with it. It's like every other impractical gadget. It's neato for a while but after a few weeks you'll never touch it again. And that says nothing of how the reality will likely be only a handful of developers utilize it for a handful of games.

Think outside the box.
There's no reason why later on the goggles' screen itself won't have a opacity control where you can either handle it manually, or the app itself will change the opacity as you bring your head down towards your real life controls.

It could be very very nice. And 720p in-your-face is actually pretty good already. I'm thinking of getting one to tinker with its API.

259 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo