Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for wonkawonka

Real Name wonkawonka   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2006, 12:37
Total Comments 268 (Amateur)
User ID 24649

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Co-Op Improvement Plans
9. Re: Diablo III Co-Op Improvement Plans Apr 3, 2013, 06:04 wonkawonka

InBlack wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 05:02:
Armengar wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 04:53:
<sigh>
diablo2 =/= diablo3
diablo3 was NEVER ever going to be "diablo2 with better graphics". diablo 3 was always going to be a different style of game with some core similarities.

diablo3 was different and worked for some people and not for others. I *did* play battle.net diablo2 . LOD was released a year after D2? I cant remember exactly as I didnt buy it on launch (unlike D2). D2 wasnt exactly multiplayer sparkling on launch either. There were just as many bots, item hacks and dupes - more so that D3 IMHO. I still remember my games getting visits from bots constantly. Not so on D3 anymore.

diablo3 was ok for me. Ive said this time and time again, for the price I paid I have more than gotten enough entertainment out of it. If you dont like it then dont play it. Indeed, haters are gonna hate.

Worst of all are the D3 defenders who love to bring up the fact that D3 isnt D2. Well DUH! Jesus fucking capital H. christ, way to miss the entire point of my post. Its not about "Diablo2 with better graphics" we didnt want Diablo2, we wanted a game built FROM Diablo2, just like Diablo2 was built from Diablo1, a game that took systems which have been perfected and tuned and then built upon those. Not a game that threw away EVERYTHING that made the Diablo games great and then decided to do its own thing ALA Diablo...if you cant resolve the point Im trying to make here then please go back to playing Diablo3.

For those who don't understand:
The market told Intel that it didn't want the built-from-scratch Itanium, but the 686.
When something works, improve it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Teaser
13. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Teaser Mar 25, 2013, 13:40 wonkawonka

The best part of the 5-second teaser to the teaser is the comments.
Absolutely hilarious:

well, that was the most literal interpretation of the word 'teaser' I've ever seen

Tremendous footage, it kept me at the edge of my seat! Will the bad guys catch our leather strap dark hero? Find out in the next 5 seconds episode of technology jerkwad! Powered by Unreal 4!! Because Unreal 3 is for poor people!

News Comments > SimCity Status Report
26. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 05:14 wonkawonka

It gets better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmce9oIxJag

And I quote:
Unlimited time to remain disconnected (won't get booted at 20 minutes, can now be disconnected "forever"). Population count now shows REAL figure, not the "artificially inflated" figure. My large cities have a population of about 15k now, not 100k

EDIT:
And here's a great reddit.

The best part is:
simcity.GetFudgedPopulation() = function

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2013, 05:24.

News Comments > SimCity Status Report
16. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 13, 2013, 23:33 wonkawonka

Crustacean Soup wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 21:56:
I thought it did do what they said it does, but that it just ends up failing more frequently than the old, less hardware-intensive probabilistic setup.
No it doesn't do what it says it does. Let's forget the fact that it loses cities, etc..., those are just (unacceptable) bugs. The core of the problem is that SimCity 2013 bills itself as a complete simulation of a city, where every inhabitant is simulated. And that is why, it was said that your poor computer couldn't handle the processing needs and even single player needed the online component.
It has been clearly demonstrated by dozens of players that this is not the case. The game does not simulate every inhabitant, instead it uses a very crude model where a person is really a tagged message for communication between city buildings that has no knowledge of its previous behavior. Not only that, but the game uses multiple fudge factors to fake the size of the message queues, thus using a lot less processing power on your own computer only. This all ends up being quite broken and much less effective than the old probabilistic model.

It is a fundamentally broken game due to the inability of the technical team to implement the original vision. Is that due to incompetence or the impossibility of the task? I don't know yet, I might try to write an algorithm to see how much processing power and memory this thing really needs if I ever have the time.

News Comments > Shackleton Crater Kickstarter
9. Re: Shackleton Crater Kickstarter Mar 12, 2013, 03:27 wonkawonka

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 22:29:
$700k for a mobile game? And hoping to get up to $4 million to, and I quote, "secure the ability to make more games" after this one?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Yeah, right...

700k isn't that much, as we don't know how far he is in the project. After all the kickstarter costs, he'll end up with 500k. Making a complete high quality game with great art assets, etc... in a short period of time isn't necessarily far fetched for 500k. That said, he's very egocentric and his kickstarter has significantly less pull than others, such as the latest Torment. His rewards are bare bones to say the least.

News Comments > Shackleton Crater Kickstarter
8. Re: Shackleton Crater Kickstarter Mar 12, 2013, 03:22 wonkawonka

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 00:52:
Holy crap, this guy made Dr. J and Larry Bird Go One-on-One? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

And Seven Cities of Gold! And Archon too...
The dude is a legend as far as I am concerned. Hey, next time I'm near my old //e I'll fire up One on One and see if I can still do that back-to-the-basket-fake-right-go-left to win on pro mode.

Edit: he only produced all those games. Who knows what level of involvement he had, but at least he's got a lot of experience in the industry.

This comment was edited on Mar 12, 2013, 03:32.

News Comments > Endless Space Free DLC
14. Re: Endless Space Free DLC Mar 12, 2013, 01:57 wonkawonka

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 23:35:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 23:18:
If I get 8 hours out of it I will have gotten my money back. Think I paid $10 for it.

You'll certainly get 8 hours out of it. I got out 20 before getting fed-up. Not a bad deal really... there are a lot worse games.

Exactly my thoughts. And similarly, as eRe4s3r so eloquently stated, my biggest issues with the game are that:

• The challenges remain the same through a game (from exploration to extermination)

• War is uninteresting because military advances are simply more of the same

• The challenges remain the same across races

• So basically, you've played it once you've played it all.

News Comments > SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand
    47. Re: SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand Mar 8, 2013, 03:22 wonkawonka

And then the SimCity devs leave, make their own company, start a Kickstarter for Megalopolis, the single-player no-DRM town and community simulator, asking for $1MM.
    Within 24 hours they have a stretch goal at 1.5MM that adds cooperative host-to-host multiplayer.

And the rest is history.

News Comments > Skyrim Beta Patch
    24. Re: Skyrim Beta Patch Mar 4, 2013, 16:29 wonkawonka

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 16:25:
    wonkawonka wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 16:24:
    Of course by the time I'm 75% done with the game, my char is God. In Everything.
    They make mods for that. And even "god" characters can still be one-shot.
    Sure they do. I was talking vanilla.
    Beyond that you can do whatever you want.

News Comments > Skyrim Beta Patch
    22. Re: Skyrim Beta Patch Mar 4, 2013, 16:24 wonkawonka

By the time I reach immortality, I'm bored with redoing all the old quests. So I keep going with the same char to do all the remaining quests, but while he was the über-shadow-assassin-sniper of death, he now is Gandalf the Pink on his way to the 7-Dan White.
    Of course by the time I'm 75% done with the game, my char is God. In Everything.

News Comments > Lord British's Countdown
    24. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 3, 2013, 10:29 wonkawonka

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 21:45:
    My question is how many people made the Ultima games? Anyone remember Brad McQuaid and 'The Vision'? One person alone was NEVER responsible for the classic's we love, and the name 'Lord British' just doesn't carry the weight it use to.

Actually Garriott is absolutely responsible for the classics you love. He singlehandedly made U1 through U4. By the time U5 came along he had help, but he was by far and away the main guy, including design and the major share of coding. For the subsequent games he was the lead designer.

News Comments > Deus Ex Movie Details
    5. Re: Deus Ex Movie Details Feb 21, 2013, 09:06 wonkawonka

Easter egg references sprinkled through the movie in subtle ways (a poster, an overhead newscast telling a story, etc) are cool. But no more than that. Anyway, the setting really does lend itself to a number of great movies, including the story of DX:HR  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
    16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Nov 29, 2012, 03:43 wonkawonka

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 03:16:
    Pete wrote on Nov 29, 2012, 00:24:
    Oh wow, that intro cinematic is cringe worthy.
    That "enhanced" intro was terrible. 15 year old CGI intro in 640x480 was better and that's saying something and I'm not even waxing nostalgic.
    The new intro is HORRIBLE. Just seeing that face rotate 30 degrees when supposedly the hand flexes on the neck makes me totally reconsider getting this. If the quality of the "improvements" is as amateurish as this, they can shove it where it don't shine.

News Comments > Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars
    3. Re: Star Citizen Kickstarter Reaches for the Stars Nov 19, 2012, 11:36 wonkawonka

Now they've got huge pressure to deliver. It won't be easy, and they can't fall back on the tried-and-true "drop features x, y and z to make launch date or budget".
    The problem with crowdfunding is that you are pre-selling something fixed. If they fail it'll be a huge blow to large crowdfunded endeavors that'll take years to recover.

Let's hope we can play that game the way we all dream it's going to be!

News Comments > Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2
    8. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 12, 2012, 21:43 wonkawonka

So is it time to buy ME3?
    Or should I just skip it?

News Comments > One More "Defining" Game for Molyneux
    22. Re: One More "Defining" Game for Molyneux Nov 10, 2012, 22:56 wonkawonka

Let's at least acknowledge that he did make Populous, Dungeon Keeper, B&W and Fable.
    That's more than most in this industry!
    And he's supposedly credited for inventing the God game genre, whether it's true or not. He certainly had the first big success in the genre though.

News Comments > BioWare Mythic Now Just Mythic
    17. Re: BioWare Mythic Now Just Mythic Nov 8, 2012, 13:32 wonkawonka

Verno wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 13:06:
    At least they're not at Microsoft levels of brand ineptness, I think Microsoft has rebranded their online divisions over a dozen times.

The marketing/PR people need a job too, you know.

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfixes
    11. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes Nov 1, 2012, 20:12 wonkawonka

descender wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 17:53:
    I don't see how any of the issues with Inferno are different than people complaining about being one-shot killed in the upper levels of TL2 hardcore/elite difficulties.

Excuse me? I've been playing an engineer in TL2 in elite mode, and I'm nowhere near an expert at these kinds of ARPGs but I've found it quite enjoyable. I'm now in Act 3 and I've never had an issue of one-shots. Sure you need to build up resistances, but it's nothing compared to f***** Diablo's Inferno Acts 2 and above. It's easy and smooth, and yes I die a lot and I need to kite all the time, but that's on par with the highest levels of difficulty that one would expect. I've never had to spend more than 10 minutes on a boss. That is NOTHING compared to the idiocy of Diablo 3's blue mobs that are often simply unbeatable (in 1.0.4 that is).

News Comments > The Longest Journey Sequel Plans
    15. Re: The Longest Journey Sequel Plans Nov 1, 2012, 20:06 wonkawonka

cronik wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 19:48:
    Prez wrote on Nov 1, 2012, 19:08:

The Longest Journey is widely regarded as the best PC adventure game ever made, so I bought it and tried it. 'The puzzles make sense' I was told.

You got told wrong bro, the puzzles don't make sense.

I've been playing adventure games since Transylvania on the Apple ][, and I can guarantee you that the one thing TLJ doesn't have is puzzles that make sense. Everything else is awesome.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
    21. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 29, 2012, 07:07 wonkawonka

Yay for Torchlight II still being up there!
    Love the game, even on epic difficulty (haven't tried any other difficulty). And I generally never play on hard modes.

268 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 3.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo