Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for wonkawonka

Real Name wonkawonka   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2006, 12:37
Total Comments 265 (Amateur)
User ID 24649

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > SSI Vets form TSI
30. Re: SSI Vets form TSI Aug 9, 2014, 13:35 wonkawonka

My first SSI game was Knights of the Desert, followed by Geopolitique 1990. Those were truly awesome. Figuring out how to handle Tobruk as the panzers went on a rampage was really tough for my young mind. Then came North Atlantic '85.
Everything else after that was just icing on the cake.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Sells Like the Devil
4. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Sells Like the Devil Jul 5, 2014, 13:01 wonkawonka

I for one am very happy with my kickstarter investment.  

News Comments > Mortal Kombat X Announced
14. Re: Op Ed Jun 3, 2014, 03:39 wonkawonka

I think it's mostly in-game with some added effects and cinematics. I just find that the bone breaking business is bad. When right from the start Scorpion breaks Sub-Zero's arm and nothing happens, the "WTF!?" effect is no good.  

News Comments > Gone Gold - Watch Dogs
31. Re: Gone Gold - Watch Dogs May 15, 2014, 08:25 wonkawonka

The real problem with "next gen" graphics is how huge the assets have to be. Downloading and storing 100 gigs for a game won't fly right now. So you're basically stuck with assets that are "good enough".  

News Comments > Tales from the Borderlands Gives Shooter Loot
15. Re: Tales from the Borderlands Gives Shooter Loot May 6, 2014, 06:51 wonkawonka

jdreyer wrote on May 6, 2014, 04:15:
Also, FPS games are hardly fading, they're maturing and getting deeper. Look at the fantastic FPSs that have come out in the past couple of years: BS Infinite, FC3, Metro LL, Dishonored, ArmA 3, all different play styles in unique environments. Even BF4 with it's faults is an amazing accomplishment.
I have to disagree here. FPS games are evolving slightly at each iteration, but gameplay is suffering badly. BS Infinite is meh, FC3 is FC, etc... Some FPS games have been quite innovative and I liked them, but no one has come up with a really compelling full package of good visuals, gripping narrative, and overall excitement. Bulletstorm was real close, but suffered from bugs and a very weak story.

News Comments > Notch's Text Adventure
2. Re: Notch's Text Adventure Apr 30, 2014, 10:48 wonkawonka

It's interesting. Shows the screwed up nature of life. I like the exercise.  

News Comments > Watch Dogs Minimum PC Specs
23. Re: Watch Dogs Minimum PC Specs Mar 12, 2014, 16:13 wonkawonka

Morin tweeted some more stuff, with the RECOMMENDED specs, confirming 64 bit:

Core i7 3770 3.5Ghz 8 GB | Windows Vista/7 or 8 (64 bit only) | GeForce GTX 560 Ti | Video RAM 2 GB | Sound Card

Edit:

Here's the URL for the specs http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/watch-dogs/11845/?p=a

Looks like it can run under Vista and 7 without needing 64bit...

News Comments > Watch Dogs Minimum PC Specs
22. Re: Watch Dogs Minimum PC Specs Mar 12, 2014, 16:09 wonkawonka

wtf_man wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 15:48:
Creston wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 15:06:
It just has to do with how much memory you have on your GPU. You can even easily test it. Just swap out the 512MB card with a 2GB one, and watch how your available system memory plummets.

I'll have to check that out! I always thought is was system drivers and RAM reserved for onboard graphics... not a discrete card.

Even an old dog learns new tricks from time to time.

Generally the OS reserves the top 512MB for memory mappings (whether you really have memory or not). So even if you have 4GB, you only have at most 3.5GB available.
Note that the discrete GPUs do NOT map their whole RAM to the system RAM, it would make no sense. Only frame buffers are mapped, and that's a tiny amount.
If the OS needs more for hardware mapping than the top 512MB, it will add a chunk of 256MB I think, and keep going. If you find that your OS can't use nowhere near the amount of RAM that you're supposed to be able to use, chances are that some of the RAM is deficient.

News Comments > Sniper Elite 3 in June; Preorders Begin
6. Re: Sniper Elite 3 in June; Preorders Begin Mar 6, 2014, 03:03 wonkawonka

Cutter wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 19:07:
Lol! I can see kids equating that in school today. History report on Hitler: Hitler was teh total griefer! What a dick! The end.
Add to that the quote from the game description:
Germany’s infamous Afrika Korps have the Allies outnumbered and outgunned
and you get kids today rewriting history and believing it.

News Comments > Rambo the Video Game Trailer
1. Re: Rambo the Video Game Trailer Jan 17, 2014, 17:01 wonkawonka

Looks damn ugly, and gameplay seems so old.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $33 Million
57. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 05:49 wonkawonka

Peeps, $34MM is not a lot. What this is saying to me is the following:

• There is pent-up demand for a next-gen space sim

• People will pay for quality and value

• People understand that time is money, and playing something NON-repetitive with enough discovery and "newness" in short intervals is worth $1/hour. So 200 hours into the game, and $200 doesn't seem that much.

• COD and BF made billions. Perspectivize.
  •  

News Comments > Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore Kickstarter
    7. Re: Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore Kickstarter Nov 7, 2013, 09:41 wonkawonka

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 01:25:
    Cutter wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 21:26:
    Grimrock was a nice trip down memory lane but also reminded me of why I don't miss this style of game. Had they done this as an isometric CRPG like the games listed on their resumes I'd be all over it like cheap cologne on a hooker.

The real problem with grimrock wasn't 'that style' game is incorrect it's that it needs to be updated not just copied. Most small developers just don't have the programming talent. Grimrocks major flaw was the shit combat that just copied eye of the beholder style combat from years ago.

They really needed to come up with revamped combat and item system. The dungeon crawling and puzzle solving was decent, the combat tedium was it's biggest weakness.

The real problem with Grimrock is that regarding combat it's purely positional tactics. And that's just insanely boring and frustrating in FP view. I have no problem with positional tactics (XCOM-EU, Wizardry 8, etc...) and I actually appreciate the chess-like qualities, but never in FP and as a single player.

News Comments > Grim Dawn Early Access
    12. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 7, 2013, 01:10 wonkawonka

I have been playing this for what seems forever as well. No problems at all. It indeed only has one act for now, but it's a pretty long one and very enjoyable. Personally I prefer it to PoE which is much too obtuse for someone like me who doesn't have time to invest in optimizing a complex system. Not to say that GD's system is simplistic, far from it. It's just much easier to pick up and play.

I find the grittiness of the game perfect, and the battles flow in a balanced manner. A good mix of meat bags and nasties, at a good speed for tactical movement and analysis.

News Comments > F1 2013 Classic Cars and Circuits Released
    3. Re: F1 2013 Classic Cars and Circuits Released Oct 21, 2013, 17:16 wonkawonka

I just want F1 2013: Grand Prix Legends DLC
    Nothing was as challenging and exciting as driving those 1967 F1s.

News Comments > The Bureau: XCOM Declassified DLC
    7. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified DLC Oct 16, 2013, 16:33 wonkawonka

Ok thanks! I won't touch it with a 10-foot pole (the game, not the DLC if it wasn't clear enough).  

News Comments > The Bureau: XCOM Declassified DLC
    1. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified DLC Oct 16, 2013, 12:17 wonkawonka

Ok is it worth buying, for someone who loves the tactical turn-based part of the XCOM-EU game?  

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $21M; Video & Hangar Patch Released
    9. Re: Star Citizen Hits $21M; Video & Hangar Patch Released Oct 14, 2013, 12:17 wonkawonka

At this stage if they don't implement relativistic physics I'll be seriously pissed off.  

News Comments > Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation
    2. Re: Chris Taylor Hints a Return to Total Annihilation Oct 9, 2013, 10:06 wonkawonka

It's as much a hint as a sledgehammer is a scalpel.  

News Comments > THIEF Preorder Bonus Trailer
    26. Re: THIEF Preorder Bonus Trailer Sep 26, 2013, 23:53 wonkawonka

Creston wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 13:33:
    wonkawonka wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 09:01:
    After the 15th death due to missing the proper path around 7 or 8 mutants in the 3rd hour of the game, I decided my time would be better spent playing a PC game.

Are you talking about the subway station? Why don't you just kill them? You don't HAVE to sneak around them. Pick up a brick, throw it somewhere, watch four clickers stand around it howling, throw a molotov at them. Bam, four dead clickers.

No, it's downtown in the buildings. At some point after the part where you learn about going around the lone clicker by throwing stuff, you reach another area where you start by a sneak kill. Then there are about 7 guys in the next few rooms, runners and clickers. Pain in the ass.

News Comments > THIEF Preorder Bonus Trailer
    19. Re: THIEF Preorder Bonus Trailer Sep 26, 2013, 09:03 wonkawonka

Verno wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 08:52:
    Too early to tell but I hope you can turn off some of the "features" they have showcased in previews.
    And then you'll be fucked by having to figure out by trial and error which 10-pixel-square area you need to stand in (and when) for the 3 guards not to see you.

265 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo