Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for K A

Real Name K A   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname dryden555
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 31, 2006, 16:00
Total Comments 1119 (Pro)
User ID 24612

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
49. Re: Op Ed Jul 12, 2010, 12:48 dryden555

Controllers are at least partly why RPG's are designed more like action games these days. You can only do so much with 15 buttons. The developers do what they can with the controller and then think about the keyboard later.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: Op Ed Jul 12, 2010, 07:55 dryden555

The best commenter from that source article said:

"In general though, I tend to dislike the homogenization of RPGs into action games with skill trees."

Hooray

I wanted to like the cool down timers, just as long as there were a lot of interesting combat choices to make. But there werent. What we gamers got was a lot of very very easy combat and minimal generic skill choices.

Bioware doesnt care -- their game sold well.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jun 30, 2010, 10:55 dryden555

i love Criterion's graphic engine, but they are treading gameplay water with Burnout Paradise and now the "reimagined" Need for Speed.  

News Comments > 70% of Activision Profits Non-Console
27. Re: 70% of Activision Profits Non-Console Jun 30, 2010, 10:53 dryden555

Sorry but "crazy profit" really is the correct phrasing regarding WOW profits.

Server maintanence in no way justifies the monthly cost to users. There's scalability with very large servers and that reduces cost in so many ways.

Blizzard charges 10 bucks (or whatever in other currencies) because they can.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 30, 2010, 10:46 dryden555

"Microsoft- 'Hard-core' will be first to buy Kinect."

That almost made me laugh out loud.

Spoken by a truly clueless marketing guy.

News Comments > Gold - Disciples III: Renaissance
6. Re: Gold - Disciples III: Renaissance Jun 30, 2010, 10:44 dryden555

it has been sooooo long since D2 and that was a fun game:

hoping for the best on D3

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. Re: Morning Previews Jun 23, 2010, 13:24 dryden555

i tried to join the beta and got nothing but odd server/browser issues regardless of which browser I used. Many said the same in the support forums. Lots of awkward chinese to english translations on the support pages. At least right now -- no thanks.

News Comments > 70% of Activision Profits Non-Console
13. Re: 70% of Activision Profits Non-Console Jun 23, 2010, 13:20 dryden555

World of Warcraft
+ 10 ridiculous bucks a month from every subscriber on the planet
= crazy profit.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 17, 2010, 11:18 dryden555

3d is not _entirely_ a novelty. A documentary of natural landscapes benefits from 3D, that is if the 3D is done well.

My beef with 3d gaming is that you need a fairly big TV so that the TV is at least near to or passes one's peripheral vision. Otherwise the 3D is highly underwhelming. Have you noticed how that issue is almost never mentioned in all of the ads for 3D TV's? Consumers will figure this out soon enough.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2010, Part 5
7. Re: It Came from E3 2010, Part 5 Jun 16, 2010, 13:11 dryden555

It is safe to say Sony did not have a great run with either the PS3 or the PSP.

News Comments > Virgin Goes Game Gambling
4. Re: Virgin Goes Game Gambling Jun 15, 2010, 15:11 dryden555

with a 12% share of the winnings I suppose it will generate revenue for Virgin for a year or 2 before it falls flat on its face.

News Comments > Gothic 3 Community Patch
27. Re: Gothic 3 Community Patch Jun 15, 2010, 15:05 dryden555

I am one of those folks who bought gothic 3 upon release. What a memorably biblical mess.

Someone said in this thread that the worst bugs were fixed quickly but that is a hilarious untruth. I reinstalled G3 3 times in one year -- big chronic bugs with every patch. I followed the forums. The stun issue in combat was not fixed after one year, that is for sure. Then I gave up on the game and any right minded gamer should have too.

Risen was a pale version of G2 and the Raven add-on, sad to say it.

News Comments > Dungeon Siege 3 Announced
39. Re: Dungeon Siege 3 Announced Jun 8, 2010, 10:46 dryden555

sorry but obsidian has a very very checkered past -- waiting for lots and lots of reviews before I spend any $$ on one of their games.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jun 3, 2010, 17:20 dryden555

the problem is that preview articles are too often so short it simply sounds like an advert for the game.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 1, 2010, 13:03 dryden555

agree with Ray. You cant print from it either and I suspect that is going to irk many of the folks who open a pdf or web page and then wonder why they spent so much $$ on something that is basically a reduced functionality netbook.

worth 200 bucks max.

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Analysis
46. Re: Ubisoft DRM Analysis May 31, 2010, 00:01 dryden555

who pays pachter's salary exactly? it is a reasonable question.  

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed May 30, 2010, 23:58 dryden555

The article is fine until "You Can't Discern Fact From Opinion" which is yet another dig at readers of game reviews as "dummies" who dont know how to read, blah blah blah. And then it gets more snarky from there.

Professional Game Reviewers (cough) too often seem to loath their readers

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed May 27, 2010, 15:51 dryden555

that was a very interesting article that reveals how pernicious Metacritic is within the game industry.  

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed May 26, 2010, 15:54 dryden555

why do we never see really heavy discounting on a major new release? it is in no one's business interest to do so. Publishers set the "suggested" retail price for any new title and it is the financial interest of all businesses involved to play along with that pricing and keep the profit margins high. It is all market driven, but my point is that there are more players than just the consumer and the retailer when it comes to pricing.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed May 26, 2010, 12:43 dryden555

The 10 and 20 buck discounting that is happening on virtually all new major releases in the last 6 months is an indication that that the game industry knows that consumers dont want to spend 60 usa bucks for a game.

Red Dead was discounted at release for example with Amazon GC's and % off coupons at game retailers. Basically the market cannot sustain a $60 price point and game publishers are figuring that out.

1119 Comments. 56 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo