Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kat

Real Name Kat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WyldKat
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.youtube.com/Asytra
Signed On Mar 16, 2006, 15:23
Total Comments 731 (Apprentice)
User ID 24526

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Bugbear's Next Car Game Announced
7. Re: Bugbear's Next Car Game Announced Feb 23, 2013, 19:10 WyldKat

This looks really fun, and I like that they announced the PC version first.

I would love to see Bugbear do a post-apoc car combat game using their realistic driving and damage physics. Have some car building and scavenging in it too. Think Interstate '76 in full, modern graphics and physics glory.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
42. Re: Op Ed Feb 19, 2013, 16:22 WyldKat

I feel like Ars Technica isn't doing a fair comparison. Yes, when you compare the console sales of a game meant for consoles to the PC sales you'll see a huge difference, but the PC crowd has never taken kindly to ports, even if they are handled well which I am told the CoD ones are.

Take a look at Counter-Strike and the spinoff, Team Fortress 2, ARMA 2/Operation Arrowhead and its mods (Invasion 1944, ACE, Wasteland, DayZ, etc), not to mention all of the various Source and CryEngine mods out there. These games maintain a very high concurrent population to this day despite being old games. They also play to the PCs advantages, namely mod support, truly independent dedicated servers, and in ARMA's case, massively large maps with high population caps and all types of vehicle support.

So yes you compare the sales of a console game on the PC and on consoles and the console will always win, but the PC has always been about delivering a richer experience. Be that with mods, or huge maps with loads of players (Planetside 2 also comes to mind), or the complexity of the game.

If the mouse and keyboard were dead, the concurrent population numbers of these games would reflect it, but it isn't and they aren't.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
2. Re: Evening Q&As Feb 12, 2013, 22:29 WyldKat

Fugazi wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 21:51:
This is the only crowd-funding game I have backed. I miss the space sim genre immensely and I am looking forward to flying a ship again.
Alpha cannot come soon enough!

I'll be right there with you.

Privateer captured my imagination like no other game, in fact in many ways it was responsible for me getting into computers because it pushed the boundaries of what was possible on hardware at the time, so I had to do a lot of upgrading and configuring.

The biggest thing, to me, that attracts me to Star Citizen is that you are not the ship. You are a person, living in the Star Citizen world. The best bit? You can fly ships with your friends, cooperatively, something I've sorely been missing since Star Wars Galaxies.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today
8. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today Feb 12, 2013, 14:59 WyldKat

Oh a Rep grind, that's exactly what this game needed... I'm sure subscribers will come flocking back!  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines
71. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 14:06 WyldKat

So, I haven't played the campaign yet (waiting for friends so we can play it together tonight) but I have spent a lot of time in Multiplayer. I actually REALLY enjoy the multiplayer. My only complaints with it is that there are only two maps per mode and that Xeno wall climbing is a bit clunky (should have been automatic like AVP 1 and 2) and also there are only 4 female heads vs 10 for guys and not one female head has a helmet option, which you get unlocks to customize. Also it seems Horde mode is missing and needs DLC.

Honestly if Gearbox cares I think they can turn this game around. Give Horde mode out for free and release a map editor for the PC (afterall it's Unreal engine all they really have to do is turn on custom maps).

We'll see what they do and I will agree that it doesn't seem like there's a lot of longevity here but so far I'm having fun with it. I will say though that I was gifted my copy and had I spent $60 judging by the MP alone I probably would be disappointed but then I rarely buy games unless they are HUGELY replayable, for example: Skyrim, KSP, Guild Wars 2, etc.

News Comments > Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Announced
11. Re: Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Announced Feb 8, 2013, 01:12 WyldKat

Draugr wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 21:22:
We'll see how both of them ultimately end up, but I just don't imagine it being so as good as KSP...

Agreed.

I felt the need to comment about KSP because of Slitherine's claim of this game being the,"ultimate game of space exploration" because when you boil it down, it's little more than a management sim based on historical events. It will be great for teaching about the history of NASA, surely, but as for ACTUAL space exploration I have to give that to KSP or full blown sims like Orbiter or that free space sim one.

News Comments > Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Announced
1. Re: Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager Announced Feb 7, 2013, 20:43 WyldKat

While it's cool they're remaking a classic, I have to say this pales in comparison to Kerbal Space Program. This makes no mention of actually designing and flying the rockets yourself, or any sort of flight simulation involved as what is a core feature of KSP. KSP will also have the management side of things too before the game is officially launched.

Still I suppose this is cool if you're really into historical management sims.

News Comments > Skyrim HD Pack Updated
3. Re: Skyrim HD Pack Updated Feb 6, 2013, 22:49 WyldKat

I'm still pleased that, in addition to them releasing mod tools for their RPGs, Bethesda is still supporting the game with stuff like this, in addition to the various features that have been added free of charge, like mounted combat.  

News Comments > Oculus Rift Vision Correction Support
17. Re: Oculus Rift Vision Correction Support Feb 6, 2013, 14:28 WyldKat

Frijoles wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 10:53:
I used to be very interested in VR, back when I was graduating high school and entering college (many years ago). I had an HMD, Virtual IO I think it was, and it was fun to play with. But ultimately it was shit. The resolution was horribly low. The FOV was terrible. The head tracking wasn't exactly accurate. A game of Descent left me hunched over crashing in to walls while I felt like puking.

Skip ahead to Oculus. When the Kickstarter was announced, I was definitely dubious. It sounded like Virtual IO all over again. That is, it sounded like shit. I admit it had my attention when Carmack and Newell came out in support of it. But then the reviews started to come out. I haven't seen a single negative review for these things. They seem to have nailed it in the areas that matter. FOV, resolution, latency.

As has been said elsewhere, a lot of technologies are coming together for the first time. Cheap high-quality screens for the optics, low-latency tracking, developers, and Kickstarter. Personally I'm interested in this because it's something I've always been interested in, only this time it really looks like they got it right. And at the right time. I'm still extremely skeptical. Nonetheless, I dropped the $300 for a pair of dev glasses. If they suck, well, it's a toy for my kids when they get older (not supposedly to let children use these types of devices since I guess it'll screw their eyes up).

But if it's as amazing as it sounds, and it is indeed a game changer, I want to be there when it starts. So I can sit around on message boards and talk about the old days when it just came out, like we do with graphic cards. So I can be part of that first wave of amazement and tinkering. But mainly because VR is something I've always been interested in.

tl;dr: because it looks neato.

Very good post. I was skeptical of it too until I saw members of the press testing it out, pointing at things that weren't really "there" and more importantly, ducking when they went under a low object.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion
14. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 13:47 WyldKat

So... some people with white guilt bitched about Tiny Tina's portrayal as being racist because of how she talks, meanwhile they are all actually being racist by insinuating that all black people talk like Tiny Tina... Ok.  

News Comments > Wizardry Online Launches
10. Re: Wizardry Online Launches Jan 30, 2013, 23:14 WyldKat

Was this converted from some Korean MMO? The art sure looks like it...  

News Comments > Windows Grand Theft Auto V Listed
4. Re: Windows Grand Theft Auto V Listed Jan 19, 2013, 18:12 WyldKat

I really want this. I still play GTA IV fairly regular on PC because of all the awesome mods out there.

I just deeply wish they take the time to do a proper PC version of this, like Rockstar did with Max Payne.

News Comments > Gas Powered Games Layoffs
6. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 18, 2013, 22:17 WyldKat

This is certainly going to effect their Kickstarter  

News Comments > THQ Investors Call Shenanigans
35. Re: Shenanigans Jan 4, 2013, 21:13 WyldKat

Sepharo wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 21:05:
I will pistol whip the next person who says shenanigans.

What's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy shit on the walls and the mozzarella sticks?

News Comments > THQ Investors Call Shenanigans
27. Re: THQ Investors Call Shenanigans Jan 4, 2013, 15:10 WyldKat

Slightly related, I saw that the THQ bundle on Steam is $25 now. Is there any kind of provision in Steam that these games have to be kept up if a company disappears? Can they be pulled from your library if a new owner decides they want to stop Steam distribution?  

News Comments > Defiance Beta Weekend This Month
4. Re: Defiance Beta Weekend This Month Jan 3, 2013, 17:09 WyldKat

Alternately if you already have a Trion account you can sign up via their account management website. Dunno if being a former/current Rift subscriber will give you any preference though.

This game peaked my interest. I enjoy Planetside 2 but constant PVP base capping gameplay gets stale after awhile, some PVE in an MMOFPS will but a nice change of pace. I've played Firefall too and while I enjoyed that game, there wasn't a lot of PVE content and it seemed like the development had shifted to make it more of an esports game which isn't something I'm interested in.

This comment was edited on Jan 3, 2013, 18:49.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage
9. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Footage Jan 2, 2013, 22:06 WyldKat

So are the crazy, blinding particle effects just there to obscure the fact that you're just sitting in the same spot spamming buttons?

I actually have to say this looks worse than the original release and that's coming from someone who was suckered into it. It's worse because they had a second chance to do something truly revolutionary and they give us something that could be mistaken for a badly done WoW-clone with prettier graphics.

Also the clicking and global cooldowns are downright hilarious.

News Comments > The Old Republic Roadmap Includes Same Gender Romance Plans
20. Re: The Old Republic Roadmap Includes Same Gender Romance Plans Jan 2, 2013, 22:01 WyldKat

Too late, it should have been in at launch.

Though I must say having a Steve Blum voiced space pirate was a nice consolation prize.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V in March?
9. Re: Grand Theft Auto V in March? Dec 31, 2012, 15:56 WyldKat

The mods and user created content, for example the First Response police mod, has made me forgive the performance issues of GTA4 on PC.

That said, I hope they do take the Max Payne approach and deliver a polished experience. I love the GTA series but I won't be buying this one until it comes out on PC.

News Comments > EA Server Shutdowns
21. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 31, 2012, 15:34 WyldKat

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 11:53:
Sims 2 was released in 2005, 7 years ago. Do you realize a lot of games that don't retire servers, simply have their servers stop working over time because of things like "out of business" etc?

The last actual Sims 2 release was the "Fun with Pets Collection" released in 2010. In comparison, Guild Wars 1 was released in 2005 with the last expansion release in 2007. It is still going to this day despite there being a sequel out.

Many people shelled out a lot of money for Sims 2 content and bear in mind that was the first game of the series to have downloadable community created stuff from the official site through the Exchange. So this is kind of a big deal for people who, for whatever reason, are not able to or unwilling to buy Sims 3 and rebuy all the content they bought for Sims 2.

This will be the same thing to happen to Sim City 5 when EA decides everyone should be playing Sim City 6 and rebuying the expansion content that they added for Sim City 5.

731 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo