Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kat

Real Name Kat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WyldKat
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.youtube.com/Asytra
Signed On Mar 16, 2006, 15:23
Total Comments 731 (Apprentice)
User ID 24526

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Gold - LEGO Universe
10. Re: Gold - LEGO Universe Sep 20, 2010, 08:46 WyldKat

This is an old story but it just caught my attention.

I haven't seen a thorough answer to the questions some of you have asked to those who have actually played it, so I will do my best to let you know what the game is like.

For those of you expecting a game where you can build things with Lego and run around in an environment experiencing others creations you will be sorely disappointed with this product. Of course, this is what Lego Universe was SUPPOSED to be about.

Instead Lego Universe is a simplistic corridor "action game" which feels like a simplified version of the Lego console games. Yes, it's even more simple than those... There is no quest dialogue really... in fact its basically a once sentence "Go here and build this." Only the building is, of course, all predetermined. You mash a button and throw bricks at something.

What free building you DO get to do is off on your own little private instanced parcel and while others can visit, it matters frak all in the grand scheme of the game. Also... your builds are completely static, meaning no building cars or rockets or airplanes that work.

Also, while I totally get that the game is geared for kids, it features an EXTREMELY annoying chat system that blocks 99% of whatever you might want to say. A simple bad language filter WOULD HAVE SUFFICED. Instead you get a system that will block the message,"Where is the green brick I need for this quest?"

Make no mistake this game is not for those of us who are teens to adults now who loved Lego as a kid. It's not even really for older kids who love Lego (I'm looking at the 10-12 year olds the game is supposed to be marketed to...) Really the game feels like it's aiming for the Duplo crowd, as if 10-12 year olds are too stupid to figure out quests with dialogue or having more complex gameplay mechanics.

Having said that... I can't see why ANY parent would spend $15/mo so their kids could play this game. Parents that want to play with their kids are looking at $30/mo, money that could be better spent buying ACTUAL Lego sets to build with their kids.

Oh and one more thing... Lego didn't listen to testers during the development of this game. The beta forums were HEAVILY moderated, more so than the game chat. You would make a post and someone had to read it before it was even posted. This meant 90% of all posts were never posted to the boards, 90% of all feedback for the devs was never heard by the devs. All because Lego has some warped-ass view of kid safety. Even the main Lego forums weren't moderated like this, which I find highly suspect.

I gave up on the beta a few months ago, it was clear that this game wasn't meant for anyone over 8 years of age. That said, I simply can't see parents paying that much per month for a game their kids will get bored with in one sitting. The gameplay is the same thing rinse and repeat zone after zone.

Adult fans would be better to look at games like Blockland or Minecraft which let you build things and do so in a multiplayer environment for a small one-time fee.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Amnesia Postmortem
41. Re: Amnesia Postmortem Sep 19, 2010, 19:39 WyldKat

The game is pretty damn scary...

It's also very niche and not advertised very well.

I've noticed that niche games tend to make good money over the long-term, they rarely ever enjoy massive release date sales such as titles like Reach.

Perhaps it is a little too soon to blame it all on piracy?

News Comments > Fallout MMOG Tease
18. Re: Fallout MMOG Tease Sep 19, 2010, 19:35 WyldKat

Please Interplay, just give it up already?

The original team that made Fallout 1 and 2 great are LONG GONE, not to mention Interplay simply does not have the funds to make a proper Fallout MMO.

Interplay had their shot with Van Buren, but their fumbling of the IP isn't Bethesdas fault. Bethesda took a great but dead franchise and resurrected it, as well as turned it from a "cult hit" to a "mega hit".

Cult hits don't sustain MMORPGs, we all found that out with APB.

News Comments > On APB Refunds, Epic's APB Interest, and RTW's Closure
28. Re: On APB Refunds, Epic's APB Interest, and RTW's Closure Sep 17, 2010, 20:33 WyldKat

ROFL...

So I have 50 hrs from my retail purchase and enough RTWs to buy 6 months of gameplay, I'm guessing all that's gone?

As for contacting the company to get a refund... I bought it straight from RTW...

I guess I can't get too upset because I wasn't playing it anyways, it's still just a shame that all of this could have been prevented if RTW HAD JUST LISTENED TO US.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: Why Is a White Actor Playing 'Prince of Persia'? May 28, 2010, 14:03 WyldKat

I would have LOVED to have seen Naveen Andrews playing the lead role in Prince of Persia. Of course he is Indian...

In that article they did point out Jake's Jewish ancestry, he is also far from aryan looking. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because he is a phenomenal actor.

Still... watching Naveen eviscerate some fools with a scimitar would have been fun....

News Comments > German Violent Game Ban Nixed
12. Re: German Violent Game Ban Nixed May 21, 2010, 18:05 WyldKat

ForgedReality wrote on May 21, 2010, 14:14:
Why is Germany so afraid of things? It's not like they're going to create another Hitler--he didn't even have video games.

Seriously.

In fact if Hitler DID have videogames he would probably just be on MW2 all the time and be one of those annoying twits that spout profanities constantly, instead of course, a mass-murdering fuck-head.

News Comments > SEGA Genesis Games for PCs Next Month
9. Re: SEGA Genesis Games for PCs Next Month May 21, 2010, 16:45 WyldKat

Welcome to the emulator party about 15 years late, Sega!  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation May 17, 2010, 15:24 WyldKat

Total sensationalism on the Nun slaying in RDR.

Like any good open world game you ALSO get the choice to save them, or at least leave them alone, but hey writing a story about saving nuns in a videogame wouldn't make headlines would it?

Oh and yeah... I can't wait till my mailman comes with RDR tomorrow!

News Comments > Auto Club Revolution Revealed
2. Re: Auto Club Revolution Revealed May 14, 2010, 06:52 WyldKat

There's already Project Torque that does this, and yes even some of their cars are licensed.

Besides Test Drive Unlimited 2 is coming out soon and it's pretty much an MMOG (or at least as much as you would want from a racing one) and it's free to play after you buy the game.

News Comments > New Star Trek Online Mission
4. Re: New Star Trek Online Mission May 13, 2010, 13:23 WyldKat

Rob wrote on May 13, 2010, 12:51:
A combination of Star Trek:25th Anniversary + Judgment Rites, along with ST: Bridge Commander would be far more rewarding (and cheaper) than STO. The general gameplay concepts behind STO had potential, but it felt like they needed to take another year (or two) to flesh out content and add more depth to the space-based combat.

Speaking of Bridge Commander, it would be nice if we could get an updated version of that game. At least something similar in scope would be great.

THIS.

News Comments > Palladium Books sues Trion Worlds
5. Re: Palladium Books sues Trion Worlds May 12, 2010, 14:30 WyldKat

Sorry, I used the wrong word but my point remains. Besides it's Rifts, plural, not "Rift: Planes of Telara". There is clearly a difference between Rifts and Rift and it is an "s".  

News Comments > Palladium Books sues Trion Worlds
2. Re: Palladium Books sues Trion Worlds May 12, 2010, 13:55 WyldKat

So what, Palladium has a copyright on the word Rift? Are they also sueing the people who did Tripping the Rift? Or maybe even Phish for the album they released called...Rift?  

News Comments > Alganon Plagiarism?
28. Re: Alganon Plagiarism? May 10, 2010, 15:15 WyldKat

Considering the game itself is nearly a carbon copy of WoW I'm not really surprised...  

News Comments > Game Crazy Closing
7. Re: Game Crazy Closing May 4, 2010, 09:43 WyldKat

While this was never a great store they were the only competitor to EBGames in my area and actually did have better prices on used games. The staff was always a lot more cool and less pushy than EBGames as well.  

News Comments > Fallout MMOG Screenshots Explained
16. Re: Fallout MMOG Screenshots Explained May 3, 2010, 22:25 WyldKat

PHJF wrote on May 3, 2010, 20:12:
Uncanny Valley is used less as a CGI term than a term of robotics. Video games don't have a lot in common with android development.

This.

Thing is, the creepy living dead expressions some games have is because they simply have either inferior technology, bad artists, or both. Look at titles like Mass Effect 2, or Heavy Rain, they feature realistic graphics and the characters are believable, not unintentionally creepy. Again, it's a total cop-out and my opinion is that Interplay is trying to push out some shovelware quickly so they get to keep the rights to the MMO. Sort of reminds me what Cryptic did with STO, actually...

10. Re: Fallout MMOG Screenshots Explained May 3, 2010, 17:29 WyldKat

Icewind wrote on May 3, 2010, 15:09:
WyldKat wrote on May 3, 2010, 13:08:
now that Bethesda has successfully resurrected the franchise

*snicker*

Daddy lets you post on his computer?

You kids are so cute when you try to enter our hobby.

What point are you trying to make here, exactly?

Nevermind... after looking up your posts I see that you are an Elder Scrolls/Bethesda hating person that makes a lot of trolling comments.

8. Re: Fallout MMOG Screenshots Explained May 3, 2010, 15:10 WyldKat

Cutter wrote on May 3, 2010, 14:43:
Anyway, "styilized" is now just another way of saying "we're copying WoW". There is just no way Interplay can do this justice.

Pretty much! I was disappointed that TOR went "stylized" too, I'm a bit tired companies are catering to the lowest common denominator. We already have a stylized post-apoc online game, it's called Borderlands. Then again we have a realistic looking Fallout-ish MMO even if this one sucks, it's called Fallen Earth and it's fun though lacking a bit in dialogue/storyline.

5. Re: Fallout MMOG Screenshots Explained May 3, 2010, 13:08 WyldKat

Did Bethesda not win the case to get the rights?

It's pretty clear that Interplay either will never do anything with MMO rights or will release some shitty shovelware just to cash in on the name now that Bethesda has successfully resurrected the franchise and Post-Apoc is doing quite well now as a genre.

It's too bad the MMO rights weren't sold off to Bioware...

News Comments > APB in June/July Subscriptions Details
16. Re: APB in June/July Subscriptions Details May 1, 2010, 06:14 WyldKat

It doesn't seem like a bad pricing model for an MMO.

At it's core you could pay $10/mo instead of $15/mo like most MMOs for unlimited play. Or you could buy "hours" if you are more of a casual gamer. You can also make things in game and apparently sell them for hours, which is pretty cool.

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Apr 28, 2010, 17:27 WyldKat

Review wrote on Apr 28, 2010, 10:19:
Some are free, offer a good amount of quest and for the most part are fairly well done. [b]Others are cheap, thrown together, copies of other games on the market.[/b]

Isn't that exactly what Alganon IS?

Review wrote on Apr 28, 2010, 10:19:
Alganon, harkens back to the days of Ultimate Online. Yes to all you older gamers, UO!!

Ultimate Online....I mean... really???

I had to stop reading after that, though I skimmed. The sad part is that not only is the writer's name listed, but also the editor. It was edited?

731 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo