Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kat

Real Name Kat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WyldKat
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.youtube.com/Asytra
Signed On Mar 16, 2006, 15:23
Total Comments 731 (Apprentice)
User ID 24526

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Interviews
9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Interviews May 1, 2011, 03:34 WyldKat

The more I hear about TOR, the less I'm inclined to buy. To be truthful, not having full control over your ship, having it fly on rails was pretty much the nail in the coffin for me.

I've actually been having a ton of fun with STO after all the changes they've made. Most of that is because of the weekly episodes and the Foundry, which lets people create missions for others to play. There's been some fantastic story driven player-made episodes I've played. Cryptic's other game, Neverwinter, will have a similar toolset, where people can make their own adventures and play them with friends or share with strangers.

I think that's really something special about these games. Sure there's still premium content rolling out by the creators but you have the ability to make your own as well, or just play through content others have made and totally bypass all the grind in an MMO. It pretty much takes a "theme park" MMO and totally throws it into the "sandbox" territory. User generated content could very well be the future of MMOs, now that the static themepark model is starting to get old to a large percentage of MMO fans.

I'm sure the story arcs and voice acting will be great in TOR and having a story for each class will allow for some replayability, however once you max all the classes out what then? At this point it sounds like a typical end-game PVE and/or PVP loot grind. I have doubts they'll be able to keep up with content demands and keep the quality up considering how much work it takes to fully VO multi-branching quests.

I'm happy for Bioware to prove me wrong but it seems like this game is missing the "massively" bit that would warrant a subscription.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Frostbitten Need for Speed The Run in November
7. Re: Frostbitten Need for Speed The Run in November Apr 29, 2011, 16:22 WyldKat

Halo wrote on Apr 29, 2011, 13:22:
Doma wrote on Apr 29, 2011, 10:55:
an underground world of illicit, high-stakes racing

Can someone just make a damn remake of Street Rod?

Come on!

And dont mess it up please!

There was this game called "Street Legal" that incorporated actual engine and body building. Game was awful but the idea of putting different parts together to build a nice motor was fun.

I played Street Legal. It was "awful" in the sense that they really didn't have the money for a better graphics engine and it had many bugs though they were ironed out later on. However the damage system and building a car part by part was something that I found really awesome. You could take out the extra seats, bumpers, lights, even glass to make the car weigh less. With a script edit you could even swap engines. Hitting a curb in a race could shear off your oilpan causing the engine to sieze up, or you could even have a really bad wreck and leave your car a twisted heap of metal. For all of its faults, I really loved the concept of buying a junked out used car, fixing it up, and racing it where crashing had real consequences, often forcing you to rebuild the car.

And yeah, a remake of Street Rod (with classic cars ONLY PLEASE) would be awesome, or maybe just bringing back MCO...

News Comments > Gold - Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
1. Re: Gold - Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword Apr 26, 2011, 14:20 WyldKat

Err... don't get me wrong... I love Warband but... not much of a sequel when most of the art assets, music, and everything else is carried over, is it? So they added guns and bombs and a new MP mode... okay. There have been several mods for M&B that also added guns, mods which actually have reloading animations for NPCs when they reload their firearms, as opposed to showing them just standing there like idiots as this video shows.

Bit disappointing, Paradox. :\

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 25, 2011, 17:55 WyldKat

Kedyn wrote on Apr 25, 2011, 16:42:
He took an oath of service to the United States. He broke that oath, and now he has to face the consequences. Torture? Well, he really should have though about that before leaking classified information. You play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

He did take an oath, an oath to serve the United States against both foreign AND DOMESTIC threats. It can easily be argued that he was was exposing the liars and cheats who have been willfully eroding our diplomatic credibility, and thus our international image as a nation, for decades.

News Comments > Valve Done with the "Isolated Single-player Experience"?
28. Re: Valve Done with the "Isolated Single-player Experience"? Apr 25, 2011, 17:46 WyldKat

There's a reason why games like the Mass Effect series, L.A. Noire, any many others are "Isolated Single-player Experiences". It's because they can offer more focused, intimate story-telling. Don't get me wrong, it would be cool to see a CoOp Mass Effect but then being the "hero" would be diminished a bit, which is why you see so many "isolated single-player experiences." Of course Valve games are very linear, so adding in the ability, for example, to play Alyx while your friend is Gordon wouldn't be nearly as hard to implement or impacting on the story. Something tells me story would still suffer a bit, though.  

News Comments > SMITE Announced
5. Re: SMITE Announced Apr 21, 2011, 20:26 WyldKat

ANOTHER DotA clone? And one with a cliche one-word in caps name too...

I bet this will be FANTASTIC.

News Comments > Will Wright on Gaming's Future
4. Re: Will Wright on Gaming's Future Apr 17, 2011, 18:02 WyldKat

Sorry Will, you haven't been relevant to gaming since umm... the late 90s.

Yes Avatar was successful, but that doesn't mean it was a great movie. For details on why it was successful yet overall a bad movie, I highly suggest watching Plinket's hilarious but on point review on it: http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/other-movies/avatar/

So yeah... games can be universally "successful" and appeal to every schmoe if they rely on tired old story templates and cheap tricks such as "Disney eyes" in Avatars case.

It's sad it doesn't seem like we'll ever see another rich, thinking persons, strategy game from Will. I guess all those years under EA's wing really warped his mind from developing wonderful sims that challenge and instill thinking skills in young and old players alike to making simplistic, easily marketable, casual games. :\

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Trailer
16. Re: Battlefield 3 Trailer Apr 17, 2011, 03:51 WyldKat

Hopefully the aircraft controls are like BF2 and not the nerfed kiddie flight model the helos had in Bad Company 2.  

News Comments > John Carmack RAGE Interview
18. Re: John Carmack RAGE Interview Apr 13, 2011, 22:33 WyldKat

I hope Carmack wins the battle. The brown and grey palette of "realistic" graphics is getting pretty old now.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Details, Movie Plans
2. Re: Mass Effect 3 Details Apr 8, 2011, 10:37 WyldKat

Disappointing still no Co-Op MP. This game is begging for something along the lines of Borderlands. As for dialogue, if they have group dialogue figured out in TOR they can do it in Mass Effect.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 8, 2011, 10:35 WyldKat

So... Microsoft aggressively goes after software makers who want to use the Kinect to spread some virtual lovin' but are happy to green light a game about lopping off body parts... >.>

Now I'm not saying there isn't a place for a bit of the 'ol ultra-violence but seriously America has fucked up priorities.

News Comments > 15 Hours of RAGE?
17. Re: 15 Hours of RAGE? Apr 7, 2011, 02:57 WyldKat

Considering this is an FPS and not an RPG, 15 hours seems pretty good. The real question is if there is any redeeming replayability.  

News Comments > Minecraft Grosses ~$33M
21. Re: Minecraft Grosses ~$33M Apr 6, 2011, 16:47 WyldKat

Since I bought Minecraft, and rather glad I did as it's provided more fun than many other games as of late, I've sort of been following Notch as well. From his Twitter posts and interviews on YouTube he seems a very humble person. He seems to have the attitude of,"I just want to code." instead of becoming a rockstar celeb developer. It reminds me of devs back in the old days really.  

News Comments > Defiance is SyFy/Trion MMOG
9. Re: Defiance is SyFy/Trion MMOG Mar 23, 2011, 19:29 WyldKat

Sepharo wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 19:05:
Hopefully the association with SyFy won't harm Trion's next MMOG because they've definitely proven that they are capable of creating a great MMO with high polish.

edit: Also, Stargate Universe is awesome and SyFy sucks for canceling it, that is all.

I agree. The fact its a sci-fi action MMO gets me excited as that's something the genre has been lacking and yeah, other than a few speedbumps Rift has been fantastic.

However somehow I feel uneasy about their partnering with a company that considers pro-wrestling something that fits a Science Fiction channel.

((Also SciFi (no I will not say the stupid new name) also sucks for canceling Farscape.))

News Comments > Black Prophecy N.A. Closed Beta Begins
6. Re: Black Prophecy N.A. Closed Beta Begins Mar 23, 2011, 19:22 WyldKat

It was actually a lot of fun when I played closed beta and I LOVED that not only do you have pitch, roll, and yaw but you also have vertical and horizontal strafing which, for the more advanced pilots, lets you pull off some really cool maneuvers like you might see on Battlestar Galactica. You can also make a pretty nice looking character and they are saying they will be adding in station walking about after launch. Oh and its the first space game I've seen in awhile that has actual cockpits.

I just hope they don't mess it up with the microtransactions... I'm looking at you, Allods.

News Comments > New WoW Flying Mount for Sale Nears
6. Re: New WoW Flying Mount for Sale Nears Mar 23, 2011, 03:53 WyldKat

Macrotransactions!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_h6AEAlFIY

The Starcraft team jokes about it but the WoW team took the ball and ran with it.

News Comments > RIFT Account Security Measures
30. Re: RIFT Account Security Measures Mar 21, 2011, 03:13 WyldKat

I was providing a solution to the only person I've heard of with an issue with coinlock as the system works fine for a vast majority of users. The system itself goes by the location assigned to the IP not really the IP itself, so if your ISP is assigning you an IP that's wildly different than the one you had before, you get locked. It doesn't go by city, or even state. We're talking large differences geographically. So again, the problem isn't with the coinlock, it's their ISP. It's also very possible the poster here was actually hacked and was in coinlock status because of it... but of course since we're all IT gods that couldn't possibly happen... could it?

It's nothing at all like SecuROM. If you feel like jumping to conclusions, then compare it to what it's really like, the security feature all major credit cards have which locks the card when the card company detects fishy charges, for example... your card being used at a gas station in Chicago then an hour later in China. It's the same concept.

Finally... it's a five digit code sent immediately to your email when you press the coinlock button. FIVE DIGIT CODE. If alt-tabbing to your email, looking at a five digit code, then entering it into the game is a hassle to you then I just don't know what to tell you....

Also it's hilarious the not-so-subtle trolling against anyone who might like a feature or, heavens forbid, even LIKE Rift. We get it, you don't like it, you prefer another MMO, you hate all MMOs, etc... But playing the fanboy card at this point is pretty much the gaming forum equivalent of Godwin's Law.

News Comments > RIFT Account Security Measures
23. Re: RIFT Account Security Measures Mar 20, 2011, 14:24 WyldKat

First of all, the Coin Lock system is simply brilliant and I'm surprised no other MMO company has thought of this before, especially since it's extremely similar to what credit card companies do when they detect shady charges.

If your IP is changing and you are getting coinlocked, it's not Trion's fault. Call up your ISP and ask them about static IP options.

As for the account exploit, Trion had it fixed within hours of the white hat posting that he found an exploit and for Trion to PM him. You can find the full story here: http://rift.zam.com/story.html?story=25684

Trion has been on top of their game regarding staying on top of gold spammers, hackers, and getting lost items/gold back to those who have been hacked. Something that Blizzard STILL cannot seem to get a handle on, let alone handle promptly. All that and Trion is doing while having an understaffed CS department during one of the largest MMO launches in awhile.

I should also mention that Trion is banning credit cards, too. Especially in circumstances where credit card fraud is used to purchase many copies of the game to use for farming and spamming purposes with stolen cards. Other MMO companies are happy to accept dirty money, it's refreshing that Trion is taking the higher ground.

News Comments > APB-Reloaded Beta Recap
4. Re: APB-Reloaded Beta Recap Mar 7, 2011, 18:20 WyldKat

They picked the absolute worst time for a beta, starting it the same week as Rift headstart.

Not really a big deal though, seeing as it's F2P...

News Comments > RIFT Interview
10. Re: RIFT Interview Mar 6, 2011, 23:11 WyldKat

They're very tight lipped about their future content plans, and for good reason with all the competition. I like their approach, they won't give you smoke up your ass like Funcom did with AoC, or like Blizz constantly does.

I can't wait to see what the new content patch brings. That said I haven't even seen end-game yet, and this game is shipping with LOADS of end-game.

731 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo