Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kat

Real Name Kat   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname WyldKat
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.youtube.com/Asytra
Signed On Mar 16, 2006, 15:23
Total Comments 731 (Apprentice)
User ID 24526

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Aug 24, 2011, 03:14 WyldKat

I downloaded the CryEngine3 SDK and was amazed at how fast the editor ran in real-time. I was building a mini-Nantucket island based on satellite data for an online sailing/residential island in the virtual world Blue Mars in CryEngine 2 before they decided to drop PC support. I'm looking forward to giving the new engine a flogging and seeing what I can make with it. Also really interested to play with the RAGE editor too, something tells me that CryEngine3 will be far easier to work with, though.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 24, 2011, 03:09 WyldKat

Not really surprised, it's hard to beat Amazon's prices. Heck I always check item pricing on Amazon before I make a NewEgg purchase. Gotta save where you can.

Not to mention, for hard copy games, you can't beat Prime getting it to you on release day for no extra charge. (other than $80/yr which I've easily recouped in 2-day/release date shipping) Not to mention the frequent $10-20 off next game purchase coupons.

I love Amazon almost as much as Steam. >.>

News Comments > Evening Previews
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 24, 2011, 03:05 WyldKat

slaka wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 23:34:
"Energy as a skill resource has been removed from the game. Instead, skill recharge will determine how often a skill can be used. The energy meter has been replaced by one that now functions as a dodge meter. The meter will display how much dodge power you have, and when you dodge you avoid all incoming attacks. You can dodge as long as you have energy left in the meter."

Makes sense to simplify things. I believe GW1 works this way as well. Having a 'dodge meter' will also help makes things a bit more realistic, i.e no bunny hopping.

Yeah, I like it. Each class still has their own mechanics to consider anyways. I also really do like being able to dodge and having the ability to do so as a "resource."

News Comments > On Origin Data-Mining
26. Re: On Origin Data-Mining Aug 24, 2011, 03:00 WyldKat

Just in case you all were wondering, a Redditor has been running Origin inside a VM and has been monitoring what it's been doing, as well as using Sandboxie to isolate the program from the rest of the OS.

In the meantime, I'm going to see about setting up sandboxie to prevent access to everything except what it needs to download and install games. The registered version allows for auto-sandboxing applications when they start.
edit: Now it makes sense that the server browser isn't in-game. I'm pretty sure we can expect to be served advertisements in the server browser.

Check out the help and FAQ sections of the website. It's all ini based, but it's still pretty easy to use. Check out ClosedFilePath. I'm watching the Origin process run right now in a VM, and it's not really doing anything but reading its ini file a million times a minute and using an ungodly amount of resources for what it does. They really should drop the bells and whistles. Steam may use a fair chunk more memory, but origin's CSwitch Delta values over the last 30 minutes or so are absurd. I think the really offensive part of this application is that its actual cpu load is unnecessarily erratic.
Edit: There it goes. Hardware and software scan. I think ClosedFilePath=C:\ProgramData\Origin\Telemetry* will do the trick.

I don't own any games through origin yet (waiting for BF3), but from what I've seen in Sandboxie, the game should operate outside of sandboxie. If it doesn't I believe there's a feature for registered users to force applications out of the sandbox. I'll find out on launch day, though.
When I have time to poke at it some more, I'm going to see if creating the files it tries to write to ahead of time and making them read-only works. If that doesn't work, I was going to see what it did if I removed the Telemetry directory and created a file in its place named Telemetry. I always have loved seeing if software will freak out or do something unexpected when I mess with it.

Source.

So yeah it's looking like a registered copy of Sandboxie will be able to prevent Origin from accessing usage data that you don't want it to.

News Comments > Another I Am Alive Clue
3. Re: Another I Am Alive Clue Aug 23, 2011, 21:55 WyldKat

Bah, it was this morning. >.>  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 23, 2011, 16:51 WyldKat

I'm disappointed Rock Band never received any decent metal. Sure there were a few tracks here and there but no Nightwish, Epica, etc...  

News Comments > Another I Am Alive Clue
1. Re: Another I Am Alive Clue Aug 23, 2011, 16:49 WyldKat

For those that missed the trailer you can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj4WiMV5ijQ

My thoughts? Grey, it's the new brown!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Retail Includes OnLive
14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 23, 2011, 13:30 WyldKat

Verno wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 13:20:
So how is the PC version?

Does it have a lot of fluff, side quests, random things to do?

I still can't really justify the purchase right now based on it being an FPS with multiple paths alone. I'm sure it's great but I guess I just feel like I can hold out till it's half price on Steam.

Being vague on purpose to avoid spoilers, I've only reached the first quest hub but there is a ton of stuff to do. It is the kind of game where you can spend 20 hours playing it or 60 hours doing everything. The game should have a ton of replay value to boot. I'm really enjoying it, the PC version doesn't feel like a port at all and is worlds beyond the leaked press version.

The only downside so far is the load times and I've got a kickass machine. A small price to pay for such a wonderful game though.

Thanks. Having watched Bladerunner again a few days ago I'm really feeling the desire to pick it up. That and, yeah, we need more cyberpunk games.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Retail Includes OnLive
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 23, 2011, 13:17 WyldKat

So how is the PC version?

Does it have a lot of fluff, side quests, random things to do?

I still can't really justify the purchase right now based on it being an FPS with multiple paths alone. I'm sure it's great but I guess I just feel like I can hold out till it's half price on Steam.

News Comments > LucasArts Open-World RPG Plans
7. Re: LucasArts Open-World RPG Plans Aug 23, 2011, 13:14 WyldKat

Jonny wrote on Aug 23, 2011, 12:27:
Damn it Lucasarts. Take Privateer, merge it with Tie Fighter. Merge the resulting space awesome with plenty of running around on ships and stations. Then hire a decent writer and instruct him to ignore the existence of the prequel trilogy.

For an IP that has at it's heart a shameless rogue rattling around in an old freighter, they've been mysteriously lacking in being able to link Star Wars to a genre of gaming that's as old as it is. How many people would buy a game just with the tagline "Be Han Solo"?

*cough* You mean like SWG: Jump to Lightspeed, but with a plot?

Yeah I'd buy that too, especially considering how crap the space combat is in TOR when all I wanted was to PVP in a freighter crewed by my friends again.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 23, 2011, 12:33 WyldKat

Let's just hope Notch doesn't name it anything like Scrolls 2: Teh Scrolling  

News Comments > Only 24 Players in Battlefield 3 Team Deathmatch
31. Re: Only 24 Players in Battlefield 3 Team Deathmatch Aug 21, 2011, 01:43 WyldKat

It's a weird decision but I couldn't care less. I'll just be playing Conquest assuming we can make it so we only play a certain game mode.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited; Huttball Introduced
34. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited Huttball Introduced Aug 19, 2011, 16:27 WyldKat

descender wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 15:55:
That's funny, I am in the beta as well and I coudn't be more bored with TOR. The only thing about this game worth any money is the cut-scenes... and even that's iffy.

I guess people just have different opinions on what is entertaining.
So, enjoy your boring MMO. He won't be missing much.

When I was in the beta I felt the same way. There are far too many fanboys rushing to defend this pile.

News Comments > Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam
95. Re: Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam Aug 18, 2011, 15:46 WyldKat

It's like an abusive relationship.

EA beats Gabe and Gabe still wants him back.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
15. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 15, 2011, 14:27 WyldKat

The Vita is costly? Is this idiot challenged or just clueless? The Vita is launching at the same pricepoint the 3DS launched at. A pricepoint that Reggie said he wouldn't lower, which they have being afraid of the Vita and all.

$250 for a portable that has graphics near PS3 quality and can do other stuff as well is a pretty damn good deal to me.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: Video Game Magazines On The Comeback Trail? Aug 15, 2011, 14:24 WyldKat

Prez wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 12:01:
I still subscribe to PC Gamer. It's a mere shadow of what it used to be, but it still gives me something to read "on the pot".

Sounds like you need a smartphone and/or a tablet!

News Comments > No Assassin's Creed Revelations PC Demo
4. Re: No PC Assassin's Creed Revelations PC Demo Aug 11, 2011, 04:07 WyldKat

LOL...

PC Gamers respond to Ubisoft's DRM by saying they will boycott, Ubisoft responds to boycott by canceling all demos.

I'm absolutely astonished by the idiocy of this company.

News Comments > PlanetWar Closed Beta
2. Re: PlanetWar Closed Beta Aug 10, 2011, 20:48 WyldKat

"The most exciting star war browse game"

LOL!

News Comments > Bethesda Sues Mojang Over Scrolls TM
52. Re: Bethesda Sues Mojang Over Scrolls TM Aug 7, 2011, 01:25 WyldKat

What Notch needs to do is clear, rename the game The Other Scrolls: Sky Ram  

News Comments > WoW Drops More Subs
40. Re: WoW Drops More Subs Aug 4, 2011, 15:47 WyldKat

Could it be the content that is getting churned out isn't GOOD content?

The new face of MMOs center around story-telling, something WoW has never done well despite having a large backstory to pull from. Players are forced to read huge walls to text to get any of this story and after killing 30 pigs colored red it gets a bit old after awhile.

WoW's problem has never been a lack of content, it's always been a lack of QUALITY content. For every fun quest, there's 20 more that are typical, uninspired grinds.

731 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo