Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonathan

Real Name Jonathan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname JaZeeL
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 16, 2006, 06:43
Total Comments 440 (Amateur)
User ID 24426

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > ET: Quake Wars Delay
27. Re: Not suprising... Jul 11, 2006, 12:24 JaZeeL

The release notes said it was an attempt to fix the red-friendly bug. Not that it was a fix, but attempted to.

In all fairness to them it was a beta patch.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hellgate London Source Code Theft?
22. Re: Muahahahah! Jul 10, 2006, 23:51 JaZeeL

Don't tell that to the countless people who had fun playing it.

I can agree that the gameplay was quite shallow, but I'm definately one of those who enjoyed playing it for some time if for nothing more than the people I met and spent quite a few hours playing with.

News Comments > Evening Previews
1. No subject Jul 10, 2006, 20:57 JaZeeL

Unfortunately, sometimes effort isn't all you need -- sometimes you just need more time. To ensure the quality we want, we've decided to push the release out of 2006 to allow for extended testing, feedback and game balancing.

Perhaps I should step out of my bubble more often. This is the first I've heard that ETQW was pushed to 2007.

News Comments > UT2004 SoundBlaster X-fi Patch
15. Re: No subject Jul 10, 2006, 17:50 JaZeeL

But to act all defensive and try to rationalize things by saying that you can get the same experience from an only SBLive or Audigy 1 compared to an X-Fi (even the basic version)?

I don't see anyone saying you get the same experience. I specifically said "less loss of an experience" relative to using a new video card against a 5 year old video card. That same machine I spoke of that had the SBLive value also used a Riva TNT 16mb graphics card...try putting that against a recently released graphics card

News Comments > UT2004 SoundBlaster X-fi Patch
9. Re: No subject Jul 10, 2006, 16:21 JaZeeL

Not sure what kind of calendar system you use, but the X-Fi is a lot newer than 5 years old.

I don't think he was trying to say that X-Fi is 5 year old technology. He's merely stating that a user can use a 5 year old sound card and lose less of the experience than a user trying to use a 5 year old video card ... I'm still using my SBLive value card that I purchased when I built my AMD K6-2 350 system over 7 years ago...

News Comments > Prey-Loads
184. Re: Wow Jul 10, 2006, 00:21 JaZeeL

It's not petty. In order to do parts of the game you were forced to use the gym. Which meant spending hours hitting X while watching a computer character run on a treadmill. That's not a game, that's a chore.

I don't remember any missions requiring you to having had used the gym. Also, if you used a gym near a save point you could easily go from fat to fit in 30 minutes, not "hours". Clothing and girlfriends were "chores," but not gameplay elements required for you to complete the game -- if you didn't like them then you didn't have to do them...I didn't.

The only semi-related mission that comes to mind is the mission where you must have a high enough swimming skill (the mission where you swim to the tanker in the bay ...the asian guy won't assign you the mission until your swimming is high enough).

I personally found SA enjoyable and worth the money I put down for it...I easily got as many hours out of it as I did Oblivion. Probably my biggest gripe with SA was the ease with which one could exploit the horse gambling and obtain obscene amounts of money in minutes -- I found myself too tempted to do this in the early game, and it ultimately ruined the experience. However, I would absolutely purchase a GTA4...sure, all of the GTA games are the same basic game, but they're still entertaining.

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 00:30.

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. No subject Jul 7, 2006, 13:36 JaZeeL

I think the 2142 preview sounds like it could be fun -- hopefully most of those elements will be present in the demo.

News Comments > Battlefield 2 Beta Patch
19. Re: Yawn Jul 5, 2006, 22:12 JaZeeL

2. The team that does not win does not receive any points at the end of the round.

I like this one.

109. Re: Sham Jul 4, 2006, 11:48 JaZeeL

LOL! I have not spent as much as $1000 on a PC in over a decade, and yet I play PC games. The cost of entry is much less than $1000 today. Plus, consumers buy PC's anyway since they have become a virtual necessity, and the cost to upgrade even the least expensive PC's sold at retail to run most current games is relatively inexpensive. A $200 video card at most will get you in the game.

LOL! Yeah, that's great and all until Joe Somebody decides to purchase QuakeWars thinking his brandnew $1000 Dell with onboard video and sound and no expansion slots can handle it. Most PCs that consumers purchase today are only good for last-gen gaming engines -- look at the specs on what they are mass producing (not just Dell, but the others that new PC consumers would purchase from).

And that should change. More new content should be available for older PC's, and it would be economically healthier for the video game industry to support older hardware or at least have some content offerings which cater to older hardware.

Beautiful in theory, but try telling that to the company who's investing in a game with an obsolete engine praying they'll break even in sales when there are many gamers to which beauty does matter.

More people would try video games if the cost of the product were less and if a broader range of content were available.

You're missing my point -- some people don't care to play games, period. You're not going to tap into those consumers.

That is a moot point. Cell phones are newer than video games and they have more market penetration. Of course, notice how such market penetration didn't take place until pricing got much lower than it was initially.

I'll admit that PC games and movies was already apples and oranges, but adding cell phones into the mix is like comparing skyscrappers to different ant colonies. Cell phones are a communication medium. Yes they've had bells and whistles added to them add revenue to a market with a saturated consumer base, but Joe Somebody isn't buying a cell phone to play that cool new cell phone game...he's buying it first and foremost to talk. At least movies and PC games are both in the entertainment industry.

You would be if digital distribution were the only way to get the game.

If it gets to that point then yes, based on digital distribution thus far, you are correct, but only if digital distribution for game X is always through only one source (as it is presently).

Obviously both of us are "fixed in our ways" and neither of us is going to convince the other of anything, Riley.

101. Re: Sham Jul 4, 2006, 11:00 JaZeeL

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. High game prices have lead to it ...

The PC gaming industry has a smaller consumer base than the movie industry not because of a "self-fulfilling prophecy," but because:
  • The necessary equipment to play PC games is ~10 times more expensive ($100 TV/DVD combo, $1000 for lower-end gaming PC)

• You don't have to own any equipment to see a movie (movie theatre), and yes, while internet/gaming cafes do exist they're not as widespread or nearly as popular. "Hey honey, the new Half-Life comes out tonight...wanna go down to the internet cafe and play it all night long?" ...uhh, no.

• A gaming PC is obsolete in 2-3 years in running the latest games, not so with the movie industry. We're just now getting closer to another movie media transition, but DVDs have certainly been around for more than 2-3 years, and VHS tapes were available with new releases FAR longer than that.

• Some people genuinely don't like to play games whereas people of all ages like to watch movies.

• PC gaming is a less established market (how long have we had movie theatres?)

• I think PC game pricing is just fine. If you don't want to pay $50 up front then wait for it. You're paying that $50 to get it when its first available at highest demand -- you're not forced to pay $50 if you wait a 1-3 months. Want that brand new HDTV? Pay an arm and a leg for it now, but if you'll wait a year or two it'll be cheaper. Want that 2007 BMW? Same concept. At least the starting price of PC games is cheaper than the next-gen consoles. You can bitch and whine all you want, but things aren't going to change.

No one is surprised that PC games have maintained the same price for the past 10+ years? You all think they should have gotten cheaper? Not with inflation. Salaries and wages have increased with inflation, and level design takes hours upon hours more than it did back in Quake1, I can tell you that -- only thing that's kept prices down is that there are more PC gamers today than there were then, but the consumer base won't be able to hold off price increases forever.

85. Re: Sham Jul 4, 2006, 10:10 JaZeeL

Even a lower budget hollywood movie costs multiple times what it costs to produce the most expensive video games, and yet the price to purchase a copy is substantially cheaper ($20 at most). The problem with the sales of video games is that by having such high sales price points, it ensures much lower sales volumes.

Um, there's fact that the PC gaming industry has an extremely smaller consumer base...do we really need to compare the the number of people who own TVs to the number of people who own gaming rigs sufficient to run most of the major gaming titles? The movie industry has a larger consumer base so obviously they can charge a lot less.

This comment was edited on Jul 4, 10:12.

30. Re: Sham Jul 3, 2006, 19:08 JaZeeL

And the only novelty in the game, where it advances the fps genre is the whole upside down and on the walls thing and the portals. Both are cool, and both advance the FPS genre.

I think Descent did this type of thing first. Maybe not walking but the concept is the same.

Well all of the rachet and clanks certainly had walk-walking, too.

5. Re: No subject Jul 3, 2006, 15:07 JaZeeL

My main concern with digital distribution is that the provider will go bottoms-up and I won't be able to re-install the game 2-3 years from now if I wish to do so. However, much like steam, perhaps this service offers a means of making a backup copy -- I'm not familiar with the service.

News Comments > Free DoD: Source Weekend Coming
    15. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2006, 21:04 JaZeeL

G.W. Bush: You and your damn politics. I prefer Axis and Allies.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 21:04.

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode One Stats
    141. Re: ... Jun 25, 2006, 23:37 JaZeeL

From other posts on Blues... (search google)

Eh, sorry, but where do you get your latest script, Camaro?

It's the second link in his sig -- right click on it and select "Install User Script".

After that you'll have to restart Firefox (or, at least I did). Go to a comment page on Blue's (the main page is not sufficient) and then add whatever punks you want via Tools->User Script Commands->Add Punk

If you want to keep the old list, edit it first and cut&paste the punk list to a temp file. Then you can cut&paste them back.

And I very much like it, especially the removal of the red color. Means I'm much less likely to even click on them

http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 23:38.

News Comments > Prey Demo
    166. Re: voice Jun 25, 2006, 13:49 JaZeeL

What was the point of that scene anyways?

That's what they want you to ask

135. Re: ... Jun 24, 2006, 23:22 JaZeeL

You know you're right -- Valve did provide unprecedented community support upon release of HL once the SDK came out, and they definately did strongly support the mod community. If a mod had issues with the engine or things they needed added for functionality Valve went in and did what they could.

I guess we're all just hanging around waiting for the next big hit...the next successful mod or game, basically. I know a lot are hoping it'll be QuakeWars (ie, not a mod), but we'll see. I can't say there's really been anything outstanding since CS -- at least not to me. I haven't had anything stimulate me like TF, Tribes 1/2, or CS in a long time.

133. Re: ... Jun 24, 2006, 18:50 JaZeeL

Quake and Quake II were good but not even slightly close.

Quake and Quake II gave birth to multiplayer FPS (Rocket Arena, Team Fortress, Action Quake, yada yada yada...even Gooseman, from Counter-strike, modded for Quake 2).

Call it a bad case of nostalgia, but I'll never give HL (a derivative of Quake2), HL2, or CSS more praise then I give the games that preceded them.

Well, I take that back partly -- CS...well, CS deserves praise for helping the online FPS community grow tremendously. I'd say the titles to bring the largest masses to the FPS gaming community, in order, were TF, Tribes 1, and CS -- and two of those titles were made by the community itself (not Valve or any other company for that matter). You can't give Valve credit for TFC or CSS...TF was hugely popular on its own, and CS was completely self-made before Valve took the CS team under their wing -- they merely took something hugely successful and commercialized it. DoD is another example of this -- all they're doing is picking up successful mods, making them a little prettier, and making money off of them.

All I give Valve credit for is the ability to make an enjoyable and immersive singleplayer experience...that's what they do, that's what they're good at. It wasn't in-house Valve staff that came up with TF, CS, or DoD (not saying that you said that was the case, I'm merely pointing this out, and making sure they don't get credit for the work the people they bought out did...yes, I know, many of those people got hired on, but its the same point).

This comment was edited on Jun 24, 19:12.

152. Re: Question Jun 24, 2006, 11:56 JaZeeL

And why am I picking up "Spirits from my fallen enemies?" As far as I can tell, that bow has infinite ammo? So what's the point?

Umm...everytime I shot it my spirit life dropped by one notch, so no, if you're not killing someone and obtaining spirit from the fallen enemies then you won't be shooting for very long (spirits recharge your spirit health so that you can shoot...basically they are bow ammo). Also, I noticed guns/ammo don't disappear with time, but the spirits of fallen enemies do.

150. Re: Hot sizzlin' damn! Jun 24, 2006, 11:50 JaZeeL

How they hired such good voice talent for the old indian, then get such a bland redneck sounding indian to do the main characters voice is beyond me. Would be better if he was silent, but wouldnt be as bad if he just a decent voice.

Anyone else think the main character sounds like Keanu Reeves? (I'm not saying that's a good thing....duuuuuuuude!)

440 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 17.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo