Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Suddenly_Dead

Real Name Suddenly_Dead   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Suddenly_Dead
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2006, 00:20
Total Comments 392 (Amateur)
User ID 24420

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Mar 9, 2011, 14:39 Suddenly_Dead

Singlehandedly winning a war with a game controller seems pretty ridiculous too.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA: PC Gaming May Become Their "Biggest Platform"
27. Re: EA: PC Gaming May Become Their Mar 9, 2011, 13:49 Suddenly_Dead

Tumbler wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 12:46:
The comments regarding BF3 and 32-40 player games being the most fun came off as code for: we're designing these maps for a smaller game size which will work on the consoles, but you can still have 32-40 players on them and it will be fun for the PC audience as well!

I don't recall ever searching or playing on a server with less than 64 players when I played BF2 and BF1942. To suggest that your game isn't fun with more than 40 players in a match is basically saying you're designing this game around the constraints of a console, which is approx 24 players in a match (12v12) and that as much as you preach about supporting the pc you won't put any real muscle behind that statement because it wouldn't be as profitable as going after the console crowd.

I've been playing online games since Quake, and I think 64 player servers suck. I like my games nice and personal. 64 player servers get crowded, spammy, and impersonal imho, and that includes for the BF games. I loved that BF2 included three different map sizes for every map, it made 16 / 24 player servers a blast.

Of course, I realize that not everyone has the same tastes and don't attribute every comment contrary to my tastes as some sort of conspiracy or doublespeak.

News Comments > EA: PC Gaming May Become Their "Biggest Platform"
19. Re: EA: PC Gaming May Become Their Mar 9, 2011, 12:38 Suddenly_Dead

Zoom wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 11:47:
"it will become"
-> WHAT ? Where is that guy from, is he real ? Does he even understand what made EA at all ?

He didn't say "it will become, for the first time ever"...

News Comments > Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared
30. Re: Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared Mar 8, 2011, 22:44 Suddenly_Dead

cronik wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 19:05:
I hate to say it but personally I believe DX11 is purely a scam to sell video cards and I already regret my $300 purchase.

DX11 brings DirectCompute and multithreaded rendering, both of which will be best utilized when engines go full DX11 (which is what Frostbite 2 is doing). And there's hardware tessellation, which is cool. Keeping an engine compatible with both DX9 and DX11 limits how much you can use the new features unless you want to spend inordinate amounts of time maintaining the two semi-separately.

News Comments > Crysis 2 PC/Xbox 360 Graphics Compared
8. Re: non sequitur Mar 8, 2011, 12:00 Suddenly_Dead

TurdFergasun wrote on Mar 8, 2011, 11:43:
console probably at like 540p or some other weaksauce resolution

PS3: 1024*720
360: 1152x720

It looks lower though; is that because it's just low enough to produce noticeable upscaling artifacts, or because some of the frame buffers (e.g. post processing) aren't at the full resolution? I don't know.

News Comments > Shift 2 Unleashed Trailer
4. Re: Shift 2 Unleashed Trailer Mar 7, 2011, 21:06 Suddenly_Dead

I don't know, Shift just came out a month before Forza 3 so I never really felt I had any reason to play it.

I did play a friends' copy, and it was pretty fun. Online was dumb; they didn't have the ghosting thing that Forza does, so it was pretty full of griefers.

News Comments > Technology of Dragon Age II
43. Re: Technology of Dragon Age II Mar 6, 2011, 20:25 Suddenly_Dead

The dialogue in DAO seemed pretty contrived most of the time, so I definitely can't support that complaint. It wasn't that deep; maybe compared with most other games these days, but that's about all. I groaned out loud at several points in the game.

The "consequences" were either tame (a little snippet in the epilogue), obvious, or both. There was also a bit of adventure game logic going on in the dialogue trees, so having that cleared up a little doesn't bother me so much. The strict "idealogue vs. dick" dichotomy that Mass Effect has is too much though; can't really tell how far DA2 is going from the demo, but I hope it's a bit more nuanced.

41. Re: Technology of Dragon Age II Mar 6, 2011, 16:18 Suddenly_Dead

briktal wrote on Mar 5, 2011, 23:54:
Prez wrote on Mar 5, 2011, 23:48:
Technology so advanced, we had to remove the tactical view!

What a bad decision.

Did people actually use that, or did they just get mad that they zoomed out one mousewheel click too far?

All the time. I guess if you didn't play on Nightmare you could get away with not using it.

3. Re: Technology of Dragon Age II Mar 5, 2011, 17:38 Suddenly_Dead

Considering the direction they're taking with it, I thought they were going to jump over to the Mass Effect (UE-based) engine. I was a bit disappointed by the lack of environment detail (and really detail in general) in the demo.

entr0py wrote on Mar 5, 2011, 17:37:
That's a bit confusing, is he saying that, if the best you can run is dx 10, you can still run the game in "dx 11 mode" and have some of the advanced features work?

If so that's great. And they should just say that the game supports dx 9, 10 and 11. Up until now they've implied there was a gap at 10.

DX 10 cards support DX 11 completely (though some features may not be as fast). That's all he's saying.

News Comments > Mass Effect Speculation
11. Re: Mass Effect Speculation Mar 4, 2011, 12:17 Suddenly_Dead

Shadow Broker is quite good and has some very nice scenery.

Overlord is fun. Nothing huge though.

Didn't like Kasumi that much; the mission is pretty short, and she's not a terrific character.

1. So far I've been going around the galaxy adding "Companions" to my fight against the collectors is this most of the game & do I have to do this to progress the main story line? *Not a complaint just wondering*

That and companion loyalty missions are most of the game, yeah. You have to do it to progress the main story line to a degree; you won't *need* to get every companion and do every mission if you don't want to. The Illusive Man will talk to you when he's got another story mission for you.

Spoiler:
If you *want* to do all the companion stuff and avoid as many deaths at the end as possible, when the Illusive Man gives you a mission to get an IFF, delay it until you've done every mission you can.

News Comments > Sony's Move.Me for PC
5. Re: Sony's Move.Me for PC Mar 3, 2011, 11:05 Suddenly_Dead

necrosis wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 08:25:
When this started up it sounded more like using the Move controller for PC games and programs. Now it only turns out its for other PS3 development. Good job Sony.

And yes. They do need to release official PC drivers for the DS3.

It's not really PS3 development though, since you can't use it to do anything on the PS3 unless you had a PS3 dev kit (in which case this is unnecessary). It just sits on the PS3, beaming data to the PC. So it's not PS3 development, but it also doesn't work standalone with the PC. Or: it's nearly useless.

News Comments > Civilization V Patched
1. Re: Civilization V Patched Mar 2, 2011, 00:37 Suddenly_Dead

I'm going to try it again. I stopped about a week after it launched, but what the hey.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 1, 2011, 11:52 Suddenly_Dead

My 8800 GTS is pretty happy still too; overclocking it helps.

DX 10/11 performance isn't hot though. Bioshock performs okay, but nothing else I've tried does. Civ 5 is virtually unplayable in DX 10, the Dragon Age 2 demo chugs, BC2 goes sub-30 FPS unless I drop the resolution to 1440x900, Crysis 1 drops by maybe 15-20 FPS. Since BF3 and other games are moving over to DX11, I'm thinking it's getting close to upgrade time.

News Comments > Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV
46. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 18:14 Suddenly_Dead

IMHO this is super cool. One of the reasons consoles are attractive is the TV & Couch-friendly interface. Add this to Steam's sheer convenience, and all of its communication and community stuff, and most of the advantage of the "console experience" is licked. This'll go perfectly with an HTPC setup.  

News Comments > Gaikai Live
40. Re: Gaikai Live Feb 28, 2011, 16:48 Suddenly_Dead

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 27, 2011, 18:41:
Yeah, I like the idea of streaming for renting or demoing, as opposed to "owning," but not if this is the quality level. I haven't tried Onlive because I don't want to add to their sub numbers, maybe it's better.

OnLive is at least playable. From where I am (Western Canada), the video quality is crappy and it occasionally breaks up (for some reason, constantly in the dirt 2 trial), but the latency is good enough to play most (non-FPS) games. It's not good enough that I'd buy anything on it, but I could see playing trial games through it.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 27, 2011, 15:27 Suddenly_Dead

How and why is C&C4 still (or ever) on the Top 10?  

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 Countdown? [Updated]
14. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Countdown? Feb 25, 2011, 23:27 Suddenly_Dead

Wildone wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 21:31:
I really dont get the big deal about COD..its deathmatch with machine guns. Was doing this with Doom2 and Half Life in the late 90s..

The levelling system (it's the MMO effect), and it's on the consoles.

News Comments > Free GameSpy APIs
9. Re: Free GameSpy APIs Feb 25, 2011, 10:32 Suddenly_Dead

I got a reply to my question.

Here's the deal: There will always be a free option for indies. Later on in the spring, we'll introduce some additional service tiers that require a fee. This will primarily be pegged around usage, so, if your game starts doing crazy traffic, you'll step up to a new pricing tier to suppor that in much the same way that, say, Amazon AWS bills for service consumption. You'll know what to expect, and there won't be any surprises.

Right now, we've set the "free" level of consumption at 10,000 Monthly Active Users which, from our observations feels like a pretty healthy amount for an indie game. The "extended beta period" simply means that, should your game more than 10,000 unique users before we introduce any new pricing, we won't bill you for it. It will be free.

Could this all change? Sure. You just saw Epic, for example, revise its UDK licensing royalty limits to be *more* generous to indie developers. After we've had some time to analyze usage trends and figure out what works best for the indie community, we may make some revisions. But that's the plan as it stands today.

News Comments > PC Fable III in May
7. Re: PC Fable III in May Feb 24, 2011, 23:26 Suddenly_Dead

The last mission is somewhere around five minutes long. Basically (incoming spoilers that no one cares about):

Walk from the castle to the entrance to the city, fighting a few baddies on the way
Fight absurdly easy boss in the town square
Done (already?!)

Easily one of the least climactic climaxes in a video game.

News Comments > Free GameSpy APIs
4. Re: Free GameSpy APIs Feb 24, 2011, 23:15 Suddenly_Dead

Brumbek wrote on Feb 24, 2011, 21:46:
GameSpy is outdated and annoying (see Borderlands for a good example). May it die soon and forever be replaced with the vastly super SteamWorks. And may GFWL die even sooner (see every GFWL game ever created).
A lot of problems I've seen with Gamespy games can be chalked up to the developers. Correct me if I'm wrong (haven't played the game), but most of Borderlands issues sound like they're with networking and not matchmaking, which is developer-controllable.

Battlefield 2 used Gamespy, and while it had a pretty shit server browser, the rest of it was fine. Not sure how much Gamespy had to do with the server browser's quality either.

I totally like the Steamworks user experience more, but it's less open to unestablished indies and smaller titles, and not as cross-platform.

392 Comments. 20 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo