Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Suddenly_Dead

Real Name Suddenly_Dead   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Suddenly_Dead
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2006, 00:20
Total Comments 392 (Amateur)
User ID 24420

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Announced
60. Re: Tribes: Ascend Announced Mar 12, 2011, 20:35 Suddenly_Dead

Yeah, Tribes 2 base was all about vehicle capping. And there was nothing you could do when they were fleeing; someone tosses a flare, and that's it. Chasing wasn't easy in T1 and T2C either, but at least you could do something after the flag was taken.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BioWare on Dragon Age II DRM
60. Re: BioWare on Dragon Age 2 DRM Mar 12, 2011, 20:32 Suddenly_Dead

Oh, I agree with having different sorts of dialogue options, I just don't like the dialogue skills. Maybe if they could be done a little more organically: use your player's previous actions (Asshole much?: Intimidation gets better), appearance, etc.. There could still be a "Speech" attribute, but it wouldn't be used alone. Of course, this wouldn't really fit in with the Bioware 1D morality model.  

58. Re: BioWare on Dragon Age 2 DRM Mar 12, 2011, 17:30 Suddenly_Dead

Paketep wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 16:59:
"SecuROM Sony Release Control" is still SecuROM

Like a tire is a Ferrari

48. Re: BioWare on Dragon Age 2 DRM Mar 12, 2011, 14:50 Suddenly_Dead

briktal wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 14:46:
I don't get this. DefaultName Hawke doesn't feel any more or less my own character than DefaultName Cousland did in Origins.

I don't know if it's just a subtle psychological effect on account of his being voiced, or if it's because the dialogue options feel like they all lead to the same place in basically the same way (even if one is polite and one is aggressive), but I just get that feeling. It's annoying, but it's not killing the game for me.

43. Re: BioWare on Dragon Age 2 DRM Mar 12, 2011, 14:24 Suddenly_Dead

wtf_man wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 14:17:
This short article pretty much explains my sentiments:
DA2-The Decline of the classic RPG

And when you are done with that... you can play Dragon Age 3, here:
Dragon Age 3

He's right about the dialogue. Hawke is Shepard: not your own character. That's an annoying departure from DA:O's style.

However, he says that in the demo the only thing you can do is button mash because enemies are extremely easy to beat. But:

1) I assume from this he played the console demo where there's no autoattack
2) The demo doesn't give you the higher difficult levels, on which killing enemies is close to the time it took to do so on DA:O (except in the initial bit where the story is being described in legend form)

It's not the combat's speed that messes up the pacing and tacticalness, it's the waves of enemies. He's got it wrong imho.

41. Re: BioWare on Dragon Age 2 DRM Mar 12, 2011, 14:10 Suddenly_Dead

The one thing that's really bugging me right now as I play this is the waves of enemies. You'll clear a corridor up to the point that you're at right now, and somehow the enemy waves still come from behind you. This makes managing archers and mages a huge pain. And since you don't know that more enemies are coming, you'll easily waste talents on the first wave, and then be stuck with a cooldown when the next wave comes. I found myself kiting the bloody Ogre at the start of the game because of this, which also works way better than it should. Of course I'm not the only one to mention any of this, but whatever.

I don't mind the removal of traps: never used them in DA:O on Nightmare, and when they were used on me they were pretty much always useless (especially fun: traps without enemies to back them up... just wait a second for health to recharge and keep going). Don't mind the removal of the dialogue-related talents: they always feel super weird in any RPG they're used in; I'd rather just be able to use whatever dialogue options I want, and it makes it bloody obvious which options will elicit the "desirable" response. I probably wouldn't even mind the increased speed of the combat were it not for the waves.

56. Re: Tribes: Ascend Announced Mar 12, 2011, 13:26 Suddenly_Dead

The Great Tribal War mod team (before they gave up in frustration at the ridiculous difficulty of modding the game) had some absolutely enormous maps in T:V. Large even by Tribes standards.  

54. Re: Tribes: Ascend Announced Mar 12, 2011, 12:40 Suddenly_Dead

Beaner wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 09:58:
Also it really worries me that they are building this on the unreal engine. When has the unreal engine ever had good network code to support large maps with a lot of players and a lot of action. Thats why Torque was so awesome. The netcode in torque kicked ass. The netcode in unreal was shitty as is evident by the chop and lag in Tribes vengeance.

See, that's my only concern about UE3. There's few multiplayer UE3 games right now, and nothing on Tribes' scale.

That's not to say that this is will necessarily be a problem though. Netcode isn't just a big ol' black box that makes stuff magically work, they have total control over it. The engine as a whole is just a base that they can build off of. And it's not like Epic has just been sitting on it doing nothing since the time of T:V.

This comment was edited on Mar 12, 2011, 12:50.

News Comments > SecuROM in Dragon Age II?
42. Re: SecuROM in Dragon Age II? Mar 11, 2011, 23:39 Suddenly_Dead

Nuhauser wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 22:10:
If the process comes up as "SecuROM" in the scanner I might be tempted to say the same thing. Why would it come up as such when it's really something else? Has anybody else with a working web site stepped forward with better information yet?

Because the full SecuROM suite and this little release date controller are both Sony programs, and this thing was probably made by the SecuROM department as well. The scanner calls it "SecuROM: Sony Release Control". Anyone reading it as "SecuROM: HIDE YOUR CHILDREN" is misreading it.

40. Re: Tribes: Ascend Announced Mar 11, 2011, 23:34 Suddenly_Dead

UE3 has improved terrains and improved LODing since the days of XMP. It's definitely possible. And

OldScho0l wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 21:42:
uuummmm..... uninformed? Think again. The link does not prove anything. The screenshots are tiny areas made to look large. No vegatation or detail except for the ground. Nice try, but you fail. When the game hits shelves, I'll be back to remind you.

Trees make baby tribes cry. Grass is OK, and easy to LoD.

News Comments > BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted
21. Re: BioWare Forum User's Game Ban Lifted Mar 11, 2011, 20:28 Suddenly_Dead

mt2e wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 19:16:
Hopefully this is the only instance we EVER hear of this happening. Its just BAD timing....bad bad timing for EA/BioWare

PS...If Mass Effect 3 is as good as I hope, I will personally forgive this whole Dragon Age 2 debacle(all 20 sides of it)....cant say the same for everybody tho.

Forgive for what? What did they do, eat your children? You don't like how they changed DA2? Then don't buy DA2. You like ME3? Then buy ME3. They're just a corp, you don't need to love them unconditionally and buy everything they throw out.

News Comments > The National in Portal 2
7. Re: The National in Portal 2 Mar 11, 2011, 20:12 Suddenly_Dead

Peter Mansbridge better be involved in some way  

30. Re: Tribes: Ascend Announced Mar 11, 2011, 20:03 Suddenly_Dead

Oh my god, you top quoted me. What is this site coming to?  

28. Re: Tribes: Ascend Announced Mar 11, 2011, 19:50 Suddenly_Dead

Fion wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 15:11:
UE3 again? Why must every damn game use UE3 these days? It has so many problems and every game has environments and characters that look exactly the same each time. I am so f'ing sick of that engine. If only Bethesda would license Id Tech 5, if only so we could get a game that didn't look like the 99% of games that use UE3!

On topic, glad to see another Tribes games in the works. With two we at least have an increased chance that they won't BOTH suck.

Mass Effect 2 and Batman: Arkham asylum look nothing like one another and share none of the same assets, what are you talking about? UE3 is extremely versatile; they can do a crap job with it, or they can do a great job with it.

News Comments > March UDK Adds DirectX 11 and More
22. Re: March UDK Adds DirectX 11 and More Mar 9, 2011, 22:01 Suddenly_Dead

UE3 is sweet, and UDK is way more than any other company offers for non-commercials and small projects.  

News Comments > 3D DOOM Movie Reboot?
30. Re: 3D DOOM Movie Reboot? Mar 9, 2011, 17:14 Suddenly_Dead

I hope they pass out free air sickness bags this time if they decide to do the first person thing again.  

News Comments > EA: PC Gaming May Become Their "Biggest Platform"
41. Re: EA: PC Gaming May Become Their Mar 9, 2011, 16:50 Suddenly_Dead

Quicksilver wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 14:59:
Can anyone name a single PC game that was totally awesome and DIDN'T make a butt-load of money?

Conquest: Frontier Wars

14. Re: March UDK Adds DirectX 11 and More Mar 9, 2011, 16:40 Suddenly_Dead

LightAssassin wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 16:12:
I read the WIP section for interests sake, but a few have shown it's very difficult to do anything but a 1st/3rd/perspective game with it. Still interesting to see what people are doing with it.

It certainly seems like it's possible to do, e.g. an RTS. It's easier to do a 1st/3rd person action game because the base is already there, and most of the projects are low on manpower compared to the large teams that UE is traditionally targeted towards. UDK doesn't have the same sort of content-driven style that Unity does, there's a lot of coding that needs to be done.

If I want an FPS all I have to do is subclass the UT3 stuff and I can gradually build up my own game off of that. If I want an RTS, there's a lot of novel stuff that I need to come up with myself and the game won't even be recognizable as a game until a lot of it comes together. And there's not much in the way of samples or examples to look on the internets. Looking at hobbyist projects, it's hard enough to keep a mod team together until something's released; keeping together a team that doesn't even have an actual game to see and motivate them for several months is even worse.

12. Re: March UDK Adds DirectX 11 and More Mar 9, 2011, 16:22 Suddenly_Dead

LightAssassin wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 16:12:
The assets that come with UDK can now be used as well, that was changed mid/late last year.

Oh, right. It's just the SkeletalMeshes they don't want you to use. I read that too.

Q: Can I release a commercial game that uses the “Unreal Tournament 3” assets included with UDK?

A: Yes, with one exception. You may not release anything marked as a SkeletalMesh in the Content Browser in a commercial UDK application.

9. Re: March UDK Adds DirectX 11 and More Mar 9, 2011, 15:30 Suddenly_Dead

IIRC, Epic kept 70% when UDK first came out, but several months ago changed it to the 25/75 split it's at now.

You get access to Unreal Script (which is able to call DLLs if you need something done in C++). It includes all the scripts for UT3, and assets (which you can't use in commercial projects). It's got all the content creation stuff through Unreal Editor and its constituent parts (Kismet, etc.), it's got Scaleform GFx for awesome UIs, it's got physics, it's got FaceFX, it's got a lot of documentation and support. Even without access to the engine's code you've got a lot to work with.

392 Comments. 20 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo