Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 1514 (Pro)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Announced
14. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Oct 21, 2008, 20:13 CJ_Parker

I'm not sure that having bleeding edge graphics in an MMO is a wise idea.

I wouldn't even need it to be "bleeding edge". Just a little more realistic and mature would make me become way more interested in the game. The way it looks in these screenshots makes it look exactly like the kiddie game I expected from BW and Lucas.

Why the hell make this an MMO? Why not just make a multiplayer sequel to KotOR?

Because MMO = mo' monnneeeehhh

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2008, 20:13.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 2
44. No subject Oct 21, 2008, 16:53 CJ_Parker

CPU or MB are guaranteed reinstall.

100% grade A bullshit (as usual from Dagok). I would almost agree with the motherboard part of the statement (depending on from which chipset to which chipset you are upgrading we are more like in "recommended" rather than "guaranteed" territory though) but the CPU? Come on. As long as you upgrade on the same board there is no way that the CPU is a "guaranteed reinstall". Quite the opposite. Windows will recognize the new CPU as if it had always been there. It's just like installing new RAM. You don't even need to reboot or anything.
I can not possibly think of a way how anyone could fuck up a CPU upgrade to the point that it requires a reinstall. Like to share your story for a few good laughs, Dagok?

News Comments > Call of Duty: World At War Beta Plans
4. Re: Call of Duty: World At War Beta Plans Oct 20, 2008, 13:40 CJ_Parker

My pleasure. Don't mention it!  

News Comments > Call of Duty: World At War Beta Plans
2. Re: Call of Duty: World At War Beta Plans Oct 20, 2008, 13:14 CJ_Parker

Well normally I'm not interested in paying full price for a 6 hour Call of Duty single player game. But with the inclusion of Coop Campaign, I just may buy this when it comes out.

r u retarted????!???!? if u play teh game wit ur freinds tehn 6 hours is divided by 4 n u each only get 1.5 hrs d00d!!! Think d00d!! THHHHIIIIIINNNNNKKKKKKKKK!!!

News Comments > Dead Space PC Controls Nerfed?
15. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2008, 15:25 CJ_Parker

I make $11k a year and I own a PC, PS3 and a 360 without being in debt.

You're sporting that "Dr." tag and you're only making $11K a year? Dude? WTF?!? Let me guess. Your dissertation was titled "The art of sucking at life big time" wasn't it? Yeah. I got you all figured out, pal. Looks like you really deserve your degree. I love it when theory and practice come together and shake hands .

News Comments > PCGA Slaps LucasArts
5. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2008, 15:11 CJ_Parker

...Randy Stude, president of the PC Gaming Alliance, criticizing LucasArts...

He criticized them huh? What a fucking pussy, man. The headline was sounding so promising, too. Of a guy named Randy Stud(e) I'd expect no less than driving up to Lucas HQ and literally cock-slapping the crap out of everyone who was involved in the retarded decision to make TFU a console exclusive. That dude needs to learn to live up to his name!

News Comments > Syndicate to Return?
32. No subject Oct 18, 2008, 18:32 CJ_Parker

How can you disassemble Origin? How the FUCK is that possible considering what they had done?

No one really knows the exact details of how Origin fell apart except for the parties involved but I have a hard time believing that this was only EA's fault.
The way I see it is that Garriott sold out to EA so Garriott is the one who started the downfall of Origin in the first place. Next, even though he sold out to EA, his big ego head got in the way of a fruitful business relationship (remember that he sold out but remained head of the Origin division). He still wanted to call the shots. He didn't understand that the sellout meant that he was EA's bitch now and not the other way around. So he basically forced EA to show him who's boss and in corporate environments they do that by massively going on your nerves with all sorts of crap until in the end they managed to make it unbearable for Garriott and Garriott left which sealed the fate of Origin.

Well, and the fact that EA is sitting on a lot of Origin's (and other's) classic franchises might have legal reasons. Maybe they just can't use them as they please? Or maybe there are royalty agreements with Garriott or Molyneux and others that would make certain titles in certain popular franchises commercially unappealing for EA? Who knows?
There could be quite a lot of actually, you know, valid reasons for why EA is behaving in certain ways other than simply "EA is teh ev1L!!11!". There's always several sides to every story.

In the past EA as like the music industry of the 50's-80's where the musicians had free artistic expression.

Come on. You can't seriously compare this stuff. First, music has always had greedy producers as well who dictated what their artists had to do, and secondly, as for the video gaming business, things have changed so much it's not even funny. You can quite easily control a musician or two or a band of five or six. Likewise in gaming, you can easily control what a bunch of guys in their garage are doing, especially if the development cycle is short. Remember that games used to be made by <= 10 people in just a few months.

Today, however, we got teams of 50+, 80+ and at times even more developers working on one game for two, three, four years. That totally changes the rules of the game since you need a lot more discipline, organization, control and management to bring a project to completion successfully.
If you were to give everyone on such a team or even just the leads "free artistic expression" you'd end up in total chaos busting the budget and the project. Game over. A whole team out of a job if not even more people due to "collateral damage".

So of course they're playing it safe. Thousands of employees at EA and other big publishers rely on them playing it safe. You have to play it safe if you are Riccitiello since you have a hell of a lot of responsibilities in all sorts of directions (employees, shareholders, customers, media and so on...). You can't just go "fuck y'all we ain't makin' no money but at least this is art, ya know?". Puuuhlease... let's get back to reality and finally accept it since things are never going to change back to what they were.

News Comments > Syndicate to Return?
28. Re: No subject Oct 18, 2008, 11:33 CJ_Parker

And you trust EA to replicate the atmosphere?

Why not? They did a really good job on C&C 3 Tiberium Wars (and as it would seem from previews on Red Alert 3, too), cheesy cutscenes and all... they captured the atmosphere of the Westwood originals nearly perfectly.
Maybe once you grow out of elementary school you will realize that you don't need to bash EA just to look cool in front of your buddies. It is totally OK to admit when EA does something right for once. Trust me. You don't need to be a sheep or a parrot all your life.

News Comments > Op Ed
56. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 21:57 CJ_Parker

The DRM does nothing that Steam isn't already capable of.

Everything that is tracked via Steam is tracked by Valve and not the publisher. It is very feasible that the Steam publishers would want their own way to track activations and installs since why would or should Valve do their job for them and who would guarantee that Valve gets the job done correctly and who would pay for the support expenses and all that? Just because Steam shares (some of) the features of SecuROM doesn't make the latter obsolete.
It's also funny how you downplay the importance of Steam all of a sudden. You keep flipping and flopping around like the penis of a 90 year old, dude .

News Comments > Op Ed
53. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 21:09 CJ_Parker

So what is the DRM doing to prevent anything on Steam? NOTHING!

God, dude. Are you dense or something? First, it obviously prevents you from sharing your account and game with more than three friends in your example. Secondly, your activations are getting tracked so when the need to call in for an activation comes up, they can deny your request if they figure out that the game (that is tied to the traded Steam account) has been activated from different computers in Pakistan, the US and France and a dozen other countries unless you have a really good explanation for that. That's why it makes sense for the publisher to have SecuROM even on Steam games. To keep track of and to exercise at least some level of control over installs and activations since Steam games can be traded and sold contrary to what you claimed ("You cannot trade or sell games off Steam" is just flat out wrong no matter how much you flip and flop).

News Comments > Op Ed
48. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 20:19 CJ_Parker

Yea trading an account is not the same thing as trading games. I'd be trading away 95 games in total.

That's because you are either a dumbfuck with no foresight then or because you never intended to trade games in the first place. Doesn't really matter. You claimed that it is impossible to sell Steam games which is simply a dumbass statement because the opposite is true. It's not my fault that you are wrong and that you suck, dude.

Plus if they found out that it was shared or traded, they could shut down the account.

Yep. Very likely to happen. Just like all those MMO developers and publishers who really care a lot about the secondary market. Oh wait...

This has what to do with the activation and install limit DRM again? Oh yea, nothing. Game is still on the account. What's next? Limited account logins before they expire, just to make sure the account isn't shared? Christ you are an idiot.

The game might be on the account and you might be able to download the game but whether you can play the game is then determined by the activation and install limits since SecuROM becomes active the moment you launch the game's executable. We have two different things here. Your right as a Steam customer to preload/download the game whenever you wish and then on the second layer we got the protected game. If you share or trade your Steam account someone with a different computer and different hardware will have access to the game. This is when SecuROM's limitations begin to matter.

Come on. Are you really that retarded? This isn't rocket science. You are giving me the impression as if you are the other 50% of the people that Riccitiello was referring to when he said that half of the anti-DRM people don't even have a fucking clue what they are fighting against in the first place. It is outright stunning that you couldn't wrap your little brain around this simple concept why SecuROM is on Steam games. I hope I explained it sufficiently now. If not yell and I'll see if I can draw up a retard version in Paint or something in case the letter version is too hard for you to comprehend.

News Comments > Op Ed
44. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 19:47 CJ_Parker

I'm guessing you didn't bother attributing your statement to Steam.

Steam is totally insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Sure, it's on the rise but it will be a while before it will really matter.

Of course you didn't, cus that would require an ounce of brain power.

Aw cute. Are you like really red in the face now and breathing hard, too? I'm getting a stiffy just thinking about that, man.

You cannot trade or sell games off Steam.

Of course you can, dumbfuck. You just need to trade someone your account and no one is really stopping you from creating new accounts for every game you purchase on Steam that you want to resell. It only takes a minute to set up an account.

SO WHY THE FUCK ARE GAMES ON STEAM USING THE ACTIVATION/INSTALL LIMIT DRM? There is no sense to it at all.

Since Steam accounts can easily be traded (or be shared) there actually is a sense to it but it doesn't surprise me that you couldn't figure this out by yourself.

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 19:28 CJ_Parker

did you miss the part about the Starforce backlash, and Ubisoft stopped using it, due to that backlash?

They stopped using it because of a lawsuit, not because of a backlash of angry red-faced nerds like yourself.

The more popular titles were all cracked.

Yes but in Starforce's case often times many months after the games were released so it was in fact pretty effective at preventing zero day piracy and piracy during a game's early retail life when the volume of sold units and the ASP is usually the highest.

News Comments > Op Ed
39. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 19:20 CJ_Parker

If that is so true, why does Jerykk, an open pirate say

"Say what you will about Starforce, at least it was effective."

Jerykk is a complete hypocrite anyway. When the Starforce bashing was going on he played the same record that some people are playing now... that Starforce was ineffective because it didn't prevent piracy blahbluuuhhblah. Now that it's (mostly) gone he admits that it did in fact have an effect. He's not really to be taken serious.

News Comments > Op Ed
35. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 18:51 CJ_Parker

Wish the dumb fuck that said this would take his head out of his ass long enough to see the truth that DRM has ZERO effect on pirates.

Yeah. So? Are you retarded that you can't see this? It has ZERO effect on the legitimate user as well because the legitimate user can always just download and play a pirated copy as well if they really wanted or needed to (it is very unlikely that this need will ever come up for the vast majority of legit users for the reasons I pointed out below but anyway...). As long as you own a legit copy you aren't even technically a pirate if you play a pirated copy. The way you are arguing is that the legit user is somehow magically cut off from ever using a cracked version of a game. They're not. So in the end they are as affected (well, or not affected for that matter) as the pirates. Same thing.

Retail games shared with friends and family. I'm sure it does happen, on a VERY VERY small scale.

You are VERY VERY mistaken. The regular customer and gamer is still the dude who picks up his games at Best Buy or Wal-Mart. He's got family, friends, colleagues, classmates, kids, whatever. This is exactly what DRM is for. To avoid that such people give their games away to everyone they know. Publishers want a sale from every individual that plays their game. DRM is not there to prevent the RELOADED group from cracking the game. Publishers aren't stupid. They know exactly that their games are gonna get cracked sooner or later. They just want to prevent casual (zero day) piracy. SecuROM helps in that regard. Of course it isn't perfect but it has an effect. If it didn't have an effect we wouldn't have billions of anti SecuROM threads.

News Comments > Game Reviews
44. Re: ... Oct 16, 2008, 18:22 CJ_Parker

So some of you are questioning the comments in the preview/review. You are saying that just because the comments are more negative than other places on the web, does not make the preview/review more honest. Well if you read the comments, they are actually backed by factual information. All opinions are good when are backed up by facts. If you read the review you will see facts that justify the opinion. That is the essence of a good preview/review.

Yep. Except that this piece of shit article sounds like your typical "OMG Bethesda is raping FO!!11!" NMA idiot. A lot of the "facts" that he lists against the game sound like someone was running around with a magnifying glass on a desperate search for things that suck. Then he blew it way out of proportion.
It is absolutely clear to me that this guy has an agenda and is probably a covert NMA clown or something like that. This piece of toilet paper is just not to be taken seriously just like the uber glowingly positive (p)reviews aren't to be taken seriously either, of course.

News Comments > Op Ed
33. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 17:42 CJ_Parker

And you seem to forget that the vast majority of people who are casual gamers have zero goddamn idea of what DRM is. They'll all learn in a few years from now, but too little too late by that point.

No, they won't because...

- the chance of a casual gamer replaying an old game is near zero
- even if and when they do they will just use up their second or maybe at the most third activation
- in the extremely unlikely case that they have run out of all of their activations there very likely will be patches (or tools) by then that have either totally removed or at least loosened the DRM restrictions

This whole DRM bullshit really is a non-issue that is only going to affect very few people. The ones who will be affected are the "pirates" in a broader sense, i.e. the people who think that they can give their games away for free to family, friends and neighbors. They will soon learn that they should not do this any longer so as not to use up their precious activations that they will need for themselves when they upgrade or get a new computer. Even the dumbest fucks will eventually grasp that concept and adapt. Big deal.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2008, 17:43.

News Comments > BioShock 2: Sea of Dreams Revealed, Teaser Trailer
57. Re: No subject Oct 16, 2008, 17:03 CJ_Parker

Some of us have kids, jobs and lives. We don't want to replay the same battle multiple times. No one forced you to use Vita-Chambers, it was an optional thing. Your death still had it's "meaning" and I still got to use my Vita-Chambers because I want to play the game a few times, not twenty. More choice = good, less choice = bad.

Exactly. In Bioshock I always reloaded my last quick save when I died but the existence of vita chambers didn't bother me at all. Why would it anyway? This is one of those typical elitist asshole issues where the elitist assholes want to enforce their elitist asshole view on games on us non-elitist non-assholes.

News Comments > Far Cry 2 DRM Follow-up
119. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 19:55 CJ_Parker

CJ...yet none of that provides any proof whatsoever to back up your claim they made the console versions first and then ported to the PC.

That's not really what I was trying to claim though (I might have exaggerated for effect at one point with that flame on Ubi's porting "talents" ). I was actually not even trying to come up with a claim of my own but just trying to refute the claim that the game was originally planned as a PC exclusive.

There's really just no way it was with the history of these guys, Ubi Montreal. I am absolutely convinced that they always had console versions planned and that they used those early Xbox 360 dev kits (the Macs) to make sure that their Dunia engine would be flexible enough to run on consoles, too.

I am a strong believer in the theory that they just didn't announce the console versions at first because they were not sure whether to go for last gen or next gen. So they evaluated their options behind closed doors as they began developing the PC version, however, all the while fully knowing and intending to release the game on consoles eventually.

That's all I was trying to say. I do not believe in the "PC exclusive" fairytale. They might be saying that on PC-centric websites for PR reasons to make PC gamers feel better about themselves but there is just no fucking way that they ever seriously considered PC exclusivity.

News Comments > Far Cry 2 DRM Follow-up
113. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2008, 19:27 CJ_Parker

To think they used a Mac to develop under DirectX instead of developing it on a PC for a PC and later porting to consoles, is absolutely ludicrous. Your arguments are irrational.

*sigh* ... first of all, you do realize that the Xbox 360 has IBM Power PC CPUs installed that just happen to be the same ones as in Apple Macs?

Secondly: All early X360 demos were running on said Apple PowerMac G5 systems instead of the actual Xbox and these systems were used as the dev kit, too...
http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?I=2420&p=5
http://lowendmac.com/musings/05/0513.html
http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2004/02/28/xbox-2--sdk-released-on-cool-apple-power-mac-g5s
http://news.cnet.com/2100-1043-5706658.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360#Development

Need more?

Quote from the last link at Wikipedia... Before the launch of the Xbox 360, several alpha development kits were spotted using Apple's Power Mac G5 hardware. This was due to the system's PowerPC 970 processor running the same PowerPC architecture that the Xbox 360 would eventually run under IBM's Xenon processor.

1514 Comments. 76 pages. Viewing page 45.
< Newer [ 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo