Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 1666 (Pro)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen at $59M
30. Re: Star Citizen at $59M Oct 29, 2014, 21:20 CJ_Parker

clint wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 18:23:
Tomb raider, crysis 3, max payne 3, dead pool, cost over 100 million to make.

No, they didn't. First, I doubt that any of those games really had a $100 million+ budget (ANALyst estimates are notoriously wrrrong) but even if some of these games did in fact have a budget of $100+ million then only a fraction of that moolah was used to actually make the game.
Most of it was market research, advertising, marketing and possibly even licensing costs in some cases.

Star Citizen, except for whatever Chris Roberts is contributing, only has a single chick (Sandi Gardiner) doing all the marketing. Lots of their marketing costs is covered by subscriber money and for Gamescom and PAX they are selling unique trophies for people to display in their hangars. The money from those sales is used to cover the costs of these events. Not sure if it covers the costs completely but they are certainly getting some nice dough from all the slobbering fanbois.
Also, they have no licensing costs because Roberts was not interested in picking up the Wing Commander franchise. And they have no publisher wasting money on stupid shit like market research and focus group testing etc.

Finally, they are way in the safe territory above their estimated budget according to Roberts. He revealed some time not too long ago that they have put money aside, so even if funding went to a full stop from one day to the next, they could still finish the game (presumably minus a few stretch goals).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront in Holidays 2015
24. Re: Star Wars Battlefront in Holidays 2015 Oct 29, 2014, 14:25 CJ_Parker

Slick wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 04:24:
blahblah y'all suck blahblah

Dude.

No.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Oct 28, 2014, 22:36 CJ_Parker

Meh. Infinite's DLC is still expensive as fuck. I'm hoping the Steam Xmas sale offer will be more attractive like $9.99 for the complete edition.  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront in Holidays 2015
13. Re: Star Wars Battlefront in Holidays 2015 Oct 28, 2014, 22:27 CJ_Parker

*sigh* so the tradition of shitty Star Wars game releases "coinciding" with shitty Star Wars movie releases continues  

News Comments > X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com
50. Re: X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com Oct 28, 2014, 15:18 CJ_Parker

Meh. For some reason I originally thought the X-Wing bundle would be like a complete edition and actually include XvT and Alliance. At 7.99 it's way too expensive just for the classic games. I'm on standby for a sale.  

News Comments > X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com?
32. Re: X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com? Oct 28, 2014, 00:05 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 23:30:
I'm pretty sure that there were texture mods for XWing Alliance that made it look a lot nicer.

Indeed.

http://www.xwaupgrade.com/

16. Re: X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com? Oct 27, 2014, 20:59 CJ_Parker

JohnBirshire wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 20:53:
You didn't really feel like a "bad guy", you weren't a Sith. You were a pilot in the Imperial Navy. Many of the missions revolved around fighting pirates and smugglers.

I know... I still played the game back in the day but never enjoyed it as much as the X-Wing games because sitting in anything "TIE" just felt... wrong

10. Re: X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com? Oct 27, 2014, 20:31 CJ_Parker

Numinar wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 20:24:
Too true! But Strike Commander was always more of a shallow technical marvel than an awesome fun game.

I actually enjoyed the gameplay a lot. Managing the money and resources between missions, being able to choose the next mission, then choosing your wingman (wing-woman), equipping your plane with a weapon loadout appropriate for the mission and appropriate for you as a pilot and then playing through the at least half-decent story (especially for an action flight sim) was way beyond just the scope of a "technical marvel" back in the day (strictly IMHO ofc).

6. Re: X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com? Oct 27, 2014, 20:18 CJ_Parker

Never was a big fan of TIE Fighter because the bad guys but I'll definitely pick up the X-Wing bundle at some point. Realistically I don't think there's too much fun to be had with the really old ones though.
I picked up Strike Commander the day it came out and was super-eager to get back into it as I loved it to death back in the day and... well, let's just say that I have rarely ever uninstalled a new purchase as quickly as that. Some games are better off being a nostalgic memory.

News Comments > On Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Mantle Support
20. Re: On Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Mantle Support Oct 26, 2014, 20:14 CJ_Parker

lol@AMD  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 26, 2014, 20:07 CJ_Parker

w00t

no Alien, no Evil Within and no Grimrock 2

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailer
3. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailer Oct 24, 2014, 21:46 CJ_Parker

ItBurn wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 21:39:
When CDProjekt makes a trailer, you watch the trailer.

In this case, no. I don't want to spoil the glorious moment when I will finally start playing the Enhanced Edition.

[x] Dim lights
[x] Fridge stocked to the brim with snacks and drinks
[x] Click the exe for the first time, popping the cherry and enjoying the intro in all its full cinematic in-game glory

Watching it prior on YT is kinda like cyber sex instead of the real deal.

I think they're better than Blizzard.

Agreed.

News Comments > Arma III Free Weekend
7. Re: Arma III Free Weekend Oct 23, 2014, 19:46 CJ_Parker

DangerDog wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 19:35:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 19:29:
So does this freebie include the single player campaign or is it just the multiplayer?

both, it's all inclusive when you install it.

Thanks. I guess I'll give it a shot then to see if it's better than part deux.

News Comments > Arma III Free Weekend
3. Re: Arma III Free Weekend Oct 23, 2014, 19:29 CJ_Parker

So does this freebie include the single player campaign or is it just the multiplayer?  

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
9. Re: New GeForce Drivers Oct 22, 2014, 23:57 CJ_Parker

PHJF wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 23:25:
The real question is, why would anyone with the money to be able to run games at 4K not be using a 4K monitor?

Poor scaling, limited choice of displays compared to 1080p or 1440p, high prices. Just off the top of my head.

There really isn't anything to complain about here though. DSR is a free totally optional feature addition on the driver level. If you enable it, you get a few more resolution options within the games you play. Finding out whether you like or can run DSR is as simple as changing the resolution in the game, play a bit and decide whether to just go fuck it and revert back to 1080p/1440p or maybe try a lower DSR level.

What's not to like here? It couldn't be easier and more simple to fiddle around with graphical quality enhancements - or not... in my limited testing experience the quality boost depends a lot on the game and its engine.
Anyway, even according to the feature description in the control panel, it's mostly a feature to spruce up the quality of older games. I'd say it works quite nicely in that regard. Not all (older) games support proper AA so DSR is a nice, free way to enhance the visuals a little.

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Takes Off
6. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Takes Off Oct 22, 2014, 10:37 CJ_Parker

Flight sims aren't exactly the most popular genre so it seems kinda strange that this dev would intentionally try to piss off as many simmers as possible but fair enough, they won't be getting any of my business. Fuck those guys big time.  

News Comments > Metallica to Close BlizzCon
4. Re: Metallica to Close BlizzCon Oct 21, 2014, 12:53 CJ_Parker

If I were them, my agent would be one dead fucker for booking that fanboi shit event!  

News Comments > Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft
69. Re: Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft Oct 20, 2014, 23:16 CJ_Parker

BWHAHAHA that Sarkeesian chick is gonna have multiple orgasms if she ever finds this thread!  

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Season Pass Announced
11. Re: Far Cry 4 Season Pass Announced Oct 20, 2014, 22:25 CJ_Parker

NKD wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 21:33:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 21:11:
Ah another one to wait for the complete edition. They're making it easy not to spend any money on games this fall season.

Are they? A lot of pretty good games have been coming out recently, and there are more to come I am sure. It's going to be a very tough choice for a lot of people.

Yep. But all of those games come with DLC season passes or announcements of upcoming DLCs.
I got a backlog and I got time. I'll buy SoM, AI, Evil Within, FC4 etc. when the complete editions are on sale Xmas next year or whenever.
If I could buy a complete game now, I might have been tempted to splurge cash for some of those games at full price but no way am I gonna support that retarded DLC season pass bullshit business practice.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Season Pass Announced
7. Re: Far Cry 4 Season Pass Announced Oct 20, 2014, 21:11 CJ_Parker

Ah another one to wait for the complete edition. They're making it easy not to spend any money on games this fall season.  

1666 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo