Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 1694 (Pro)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin
75. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 19:06 CJ_Parker

Slashman wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 18:24:
Why would THQ move almost all their games to Steamworks? Why aren't there mass boycotts from anyone other than EA?

How is EA boycotting Steam? You do realize that Valve showed EA the door and not the other way around, right?
It started with EA selling crap from within their games, bypassing Steam. Valve pointed out that this was against their TOS. EA didn't care and didn't want to back down and change the way they sold their crap and then Valve kicked EA out the door.
Valve took action on and against EA, not the other way around. EA has been pretty passive in all of this. EA did not pull their games from Steam. Their games got delisted by Valve due to the violation of the TOS. There never was a "boycott" of any kind from EA's side.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 14:44 CJ_Parker

Icewind wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 13:54:
Bet you feel dumb now.

Not nearly as dumb as you yet but it does indeed look like I was mistaken about the 3rd party involvement. Might have to do with me being in Europe and if I launch Origin I only see EA games and no 3rd party games in their online store so maybe the 3rd party push hasn't arrived here yet.

Still my point remains: Anyone who believes that EA is seriously giving a crap or trying to seriously compete with Steam is fooling themselves. They may be trying to annoy Steam a little like a mosquito crawling up the ear of the elephant but there is no way that EA is all of a sudden trying to get serious about the PC business. The money is on the consoles for them. Always has been, always will.

If EA would be serious about this all you'd see them break into this market niche much more aggressively with massive discounts and major 3rd party support but that ain't happening.

No, Sir. This is purely strategical. The intention is not to compete with Steam and to build up something of their own but more to prevent Steam from becoming even more monopolistic. Origin is like a minor preemptive strike. It's only meant to divert and redirect business from Steam to Origin. Business that is probably very small scale compared to EA's other console centric divisions.

19. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 13:49 CJ_Parker

Wolfen wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 13:33:
You won't beat steam EA. Give it up.

Gawd. They're not even trying to. Anyone with half a brain, i.e. not you, should be able to tell that EA's Origin service is not even trying to compete with Steam. EA is only using Origin to control their own content on the PC platform. They do not even intend to sell other publisher's games or broaden the spectrum of Origin beyond their own stuff.
I'm also sure that they don't really give much of a fuck about Steam or their own Origin service even. It's a fun little side endeavor for them. They are making 90%+ of their revenue on the consoles. If you think they really care about Steam you had better think again.

News Comments > Codemasters Complaints
1. Re: Codemasters Complaints Jan 13, 2012, 21:32 CJ_Parker

Just fire the fuck.  

News Comments > Ghost Recon: Future Soldier in May; PC Version Coming After All
3. Re: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier in May; PC Version Coming After All Jan 10, 2012, 12:47 CJ_Parker

They can keep their shit, kthx. Not because of the DRM (I got no prob with that) but because of the game itself that looked like an abortion in the trailers.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Jan 6, 2012, 19:16 CJ_Parker

Nah. AoE 3 ain't that old. It came out in 2005. You're right that 20 bucks is kinda expensive though. Microsoft themselves once sold AoE 3 Complete on Games for Windows Live for only 0.10 bucks when everyone thought it was an erroneous listing but it wasn't. Now that was a great deal back then (in November 2010).

News Comments > Bethesda & Interplay Fallout Settlement Nears?
34. Re: Bethesda & Interplay Fallout Settlement Nears? Dec 30, 2011, 09:39 CJ_Parker

Krovven wrote on Dec 29, 2011, 15:48:
Im not going to keep arguing this as people have been arguing with me about it for 2+ years every time there is a story about this.

You could keep at it for another 200+ years and you'd still be wrong for the reasons pointed out by others since you are disputing facts and apparently unable (or unwilling) to process factual information that is presented to you.
Has it ever occurred to you that you might simply be, you know, wrong? Nope. Obviously hasn't. You're like the guy riding in the wrong lane yelling at the other drivers to get the fuck out of your way. Or maybe a more appropriate analogy in your case would be you're the guy in the loony bin thinking that everyone else is a retard...

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 25, 2011, 18:54 CJ_Parker

nin wrote on Dec 25, 2011, 17:45:
Why not either wait until it's on sale for $20, or see what sort of DLC shakes out?

Because we as PC gamers need to support Bethesda with early and near full price sales in order to show them and other publishers that it is still viable to develop open world single player RPGs for the PC. Every sale that is not a PS3 or Xbox 360 sale is a score for us. That's why I personally preorder games like Skyrim even if I know I won't likely be getting around to playing them for a while. Iz all about the 'spect and the 'sport, ya know .

News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Dec 20, 2011, 05:42 CJ_Parker

siapnar wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 22:40:
So since there are new deals daily, do the previous day's deals expire or do they continue until January 2nd?

I'm tempted to get Fable 3, Portal 2 and Metro 2033.

What you will want to do is to exclusively check out the daily deals until January 2. Don't pay attention to the "regular" discounts until then because a game that is on sale right now for e.g. 33% discount might all of a sudden pop up as a daily deal with a 75% discount.
To maximize savings you want to wait until the last day of the sale (1/2/2012) before buying anything that is not a daily deal.

News Comments > MW3 Beats Avatar to $1B
59. Re: MW3 Beats Avatar to $1B Dec 13, 2011, 17:47 CJ_Parker

yuastnav wrote on Dec 13, 2011, 06:33:
CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 12, 2011, 19:42:
[...] for everyone with a horizon wider than a +1 FOV [...]

Too bad MW3's FOV is not much higher.
And why the emphasis on the plus? It's not like you can have a negative field of view. At least you are now aware of it, too!

You can't have a negative FOV? When I'm done smashing your skull in and your eyeballs are dangling in front of your ass can you say that again plz? BWWAAAAAAHAHAHA

News Comments > MW3 Beats Avatar to $1B
39. Re: MW3 Beats Avatar to $1B Dec 12, 2011, 19:42 CJ_Parker

Nucas wrote on Dec 12, 2011, 19:29:
i own every modern warfare game, on pc. amazing campaigns. loved how modern warfare 3 tied it up with makarov, first rate ending to a story i found engagingly presented. hem and haw all you want, the sheer scripted spectacle of modern warfare changed how games are made.

I fully agree. All the snobbish elitists can go and fuck themselves. There is a place for CoD's awesomeness in the gaming world for everyone with a horizon wider than a +1 FOV (which obviously does not apply to most tards in this thread). I love me some classic hardcore RPGs just as much as some classic tactical shooters. But I also love me some Call of Duty which is the gaming equivalent of a summer holiday popcorn blockbuster movie. Can't wait for the next game in this awesome series.

News Comments > GSC/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Statement Monday
21. Re: GSC/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Statement Monday Dec 10, 2011, 21:28 CJ_Parker

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 10, 2011, 20:55:
Personally I don't like the warping of higher FOVs, which is actually why developers use lower FOVs. Valve discusses exactly why they use that FOV here. Developers don't just pick low FOVs to piss people off; nor is it because of cross-platform development (HL2 was PC only until it was ported to X360 years later), despite what people might say. People even complained about the FOV in STALKER as well (even CoP).

LOL. Of course it has to do with xplaform development because the shitty consoles could not handle higher FOV without blowing up (or at least serious game-breaking stuttering).
Also, most games do not look the slightest bit worse with a higher FOV than with a lower one. A lot of games do in fact look much better and more natural.
A narrow field of view would only be more natural to a person that is permanently drunk or drugged because being intoxicated causes a natural narrowing down of the FOV. Or maybe paranoia has the same effect (*ponders your forum handle*)...

Finally have you even read the Valve article? It assumes that most people are sitting at a close distance in front of small screens. That might have been semi-true a decade ago when HL2 was released but today most of us are sitting at the same close distance in front of frickin' huge screens which voids the whole argument.

There are lots of FOV calculators to be found all over and around the intertubes where you can enter your screen size and if you have a large screen like a 24" with a 1920x1200 resolution you'll get results ranging from 90 to 110. There is absolutely NO fucking reason for a developer to limit the FOV or not to give us at least the option to change it at will.

News Comments > Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming
77. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 8, 2011, 18:01 CJ_Parker

Yep. No kidding. You gotz me all figured out, buddy .

News Comments > Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming
75. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 8, 2011, 17:42 CJ_Parker

How about trying to play a legit version instead of your usual warez, Mr. Jerykk? It's not Bethesda's fault if RAZOR1911 or whoever the fuck's cracked version you are playing has fucked up the game.

News Comments > Star Wars Galaxies End Game Detailed
13. Re: Star Wars Galaxies End Game Detailed Dec 3, 2011, 02:41 CJ_Parker

Freddie wrote on Dec 3, 2011, 00:55:
Pre-NGE / CU it was great, but it was just a train wreck thereafter.

It was not even anywhere near "great", even before the CU/NGE era. It was a buggy, laggy, broken, unbalanced, exploitable mess from day one. It was a complete piece of shit that only started to smell worse when the NGE hit but it was still shit all the way and all the time.

SWG had lots of potential and there was a tiny chance it all could have worked out in the end if the dev team would have set their priorities straight and fixed the game.
But instead of fixing the broken base game they decided to focus on new content (vehicles, mounts, player cities, the space expansion) and kept piling new broken, buggy, laggy, unbalanced, exploitable shit on top of the old broken, buggy, laggy, unbalanced, exploitable shit.

It was an epic fail from day one that only got more epic they more they tried to "fix" shit. Fuck this game. Good riddance!

News Comments > Rainbow 6 Patriots Details; Art
10. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Details; Art Nov 29, 2011, 14:51 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on Nov 29, 2011, 12:22:
Some things haven't changed in the last 10 years.

Uh, Ubisoft was a lot better 10 years ago. They were still releasing genuine tactical shooters back then, designed for the PC.

Yep. And then pirates like yourself with your "try before you buy... or maybe never" attitudes and your sense of entitlement to deserve free games ruined it for us all. Well done. Thank you very much... *golfclap*

News Comments > No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
64. Re: Sour Grapes Nov 24, 2011, 21:56 CJ_Parker

Kawlisse wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 20:57:
You can easily make numbers say what ever you want. Black Ops 5.2 million pirated copies versus 25 million sales Worldwide we are very far away from the 95% piracy rate!!! would'nt you say ?

No, I wouldn't. These CoD: BO stats are just the numbers grabbed from torrent trackers and as I said torrents aren't exactly popular anymore among pirates due to the security and detection risks.
These stats naturally do not include the much more popular (at least among PC pirates) methods like usenet, file sharing services, file hosting services, FTPs, KAD/eMule or any of that kind of stuff.
It also does not account for the number of times that a download gets multiplied by good old fashioned copying and pasting the downloaded image to storage media of any kind or the distribution over private and public networks. A single person might download the file but an infinite number could be leeching off of it basically.

All of the piracy combined, yes, I'm sure we'd easily surpass the 25 million sales but that is impossible to prove, of course, because there's no way to get any hard data on other methods than torrenting.

News Comments > I Am Alive PC Follow-up
28. Re: I Am Alive PC Follow-up Nov 24, 2011, 19:09 CJ_Parker

William Usher wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 18:39:
Yes Steam is easier to use than pirating. Do you need to goto a forum to learn how to a "mount an image" or do you need to learn about the registry executables required for some games?

I feel extremely sorry for anyone who seriously needs to go to a forum or resort to any other sort of help to mount an image file. The intelligence of a person who has trouble with the act of mounting an image file must be lower than that of a monkey.
And not sure what registry executables you are talking about. You may want to turn to quality warez where everything is pre-haXX0red like the Razor 1911 and RELOADED packages where it works just as I posted. Download - mount - play. Five mouse clicks or less if you only half know what you are doing.

Last I checked you just click INSTALL from the Steam client and you're done. That's it.

Really? You mean you didn't first have to create an account? You didn't have to log in with your account credentials, didn't have to add something to your shopping cart and didn't have to enter your payment info? You just click install and play? I want that version of Steam with free games and no account registration requirements, too!

If it gets any easier then they obviously aren't catering the service to a species with the intelligence capable of actually playing the game they bought.

As I said it would be easier to train a monkey to install a pirated version than training a monkey to buy a game from Steam. For Steam the monkey would have to be literate. For piracy you'd just need to train him which buttons to click.

As for the prices...yes, Steam's "new releases" are a rip-off but as every other person already mentioned, the sales more than make up for it.

For the consumer, yes, but for the publishers the sales are just limiting their losses. They need the full price sales for survival.

And added to this, why on Earth would you condemn anyone for not wanting to pay full price for a game? That's ludicrous. Consumers aren't the ones telling publishers to gimp them on the gameplay experience with scripted, linear levels and practically zero replayability in half the games released these days.

I don't condemn people for not wanting to pay full price. Read again what I wrote. I condemn the common practice of people who buy a game for $4.99 that they pirated at a time when it was new and selling for $49 everywhere. Then they act all heroic about their cheap purchase and consider themselves legit gamers. Bullshit. That's like raping a girl and then feeling like a gentleman when you help her wipe the cum off her face. Wow. What a hero you are. Not.

News Comments > No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
46. Re: Sour Grapes Nov 24, 2011, 18:44 CJ_Parker

WaltC wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 17:56:
Secondly, and this is a big bugaboo here, console piracy is actually rampant. Just Google or Bing "xBox360 piracy," for starters. Contrary to popular uninformed opinion, piracy is not just restricted to PCs.

No one ever said anything about "restricted" but the VAST majority of piracy is definitely happening on the PC:

TorrentFreak Stats 2008
TorrentFreak Stats 2009
TorrentFreak Stats 2010

Well, and since torrenting has really gone out of fashion I don't even want to know what the numbers look like if we were able to include file sharing services or usenet and the like that the more technically inclined PC pirates have turned to for the most part. That 95% figure all of a sudden sounds mighty realistic to me.

I think when you hear a lot of nonsense from companies like UbiSoft, what they are really saying is "We have no intention of investing the time or money it would take to create top-notch PC fare. No, we like the average to below average expectations we have to deal with in the console markets just fine." That's really the problem--it's a sour grapes problem--they see how their competitors are doing *great* in the PC market, and this causes them to defensively make statements "explaining" why they cannot do as well and have no intention even of really trying.

Sorry but that's just as much nonsense right there as you accuse Ubi of spouting. The big publishers are like prostitutes. They will always go where the most money can be made. If major money could be made on the PC then they'd be all over it but money isn't made on the PC due to rampant piracy being just one (but not the only one, of course) of the main issues.

News Comments > I Am Alive PC Follow-up
24. Re: I Am Alive PC Follow-up Nov 24, 2011, 17:50 CJ_Parker

Yeah you guys are mentioning just another major problem which is people buying games in Steam sales for $4.99 after they have played the pirated version on, before or just after a game's release. Then they consider that dirt cheap sale washing themselves clean while in reality the dirty deed's been long done. Publishers and developers depend on full price sales to be able to survive. Don't try to justify your thieving by pirating now and buying later. There is no justification for stealing. Just none.

And Steam is certainly not cheaper (Steam prices are a rip-off compared to retail in most cases and compared to "free", well, there is no comparison... free is free which is as cheap as it gets), nor is it easier than piracy. I don't know what piracy you guys are talking about but I'm talking about the download cracked image and mount via DT kind of piracy which takes less than a handful of mouse clicks and is so easily done you could train a monkey to do it. On the other hand: Try training a monkey to enter account credentials or credit card details. Good luck with that.

1694 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo