Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 1666 (Pro)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Hardware Plans?
110. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 4, 2012, 18:57 CJ_Parker

Dev wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 18:34:
eunichron wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 17:58:
With those proposed specs I doubt they could build a capable rig for less than $400, and highly doubt they could sell it for less than $500. The next generation of consoles is going to catch up in terms of graphics (at least DX11.1 standard) anyway. The rumor claims that it is going to use mobile graphics, I think the biggest move Valve could make is use an MXM based GPU (if I recall there is an MXM GTX 580m board), allowing users to buy cheap upgrades through Steam so that their system can stay current to PC specs.
The consoles are cheaper because they are crappier.

The margins are far less than $100 on most computers in that price range and if valve was smart, they would sell it at cost (they'd more than make up the difference selling steam games through it). IMHO It would be silly to build a mobile based one, the parts are more expensive and less capable (similar mobile model names are usually a mere 50% of the speed of desktop). They'd be better off just building a smaller desktop form factor.

As for cost, its less than one might think.

$200 for i7 CPU (yes, they can be found for this price)
$50 for a name brand micro ATX 1155 mobo (only need one x16 slot, and its small physically)
$35 for 8 gb ram
$80 for 2tb hdd (prices are finally getting down near what they used to be for hdds)
$130 for a radeon 6870, which is MORE than fast enough to game at 1080p

Huh, would you look at that. We are only up to $495 for all the core components. And those are the prices I as an end buyer can achieve, presumably valve could get them for less in quantity.

Interesting. So we don't need a case and a power supply? Oops.
And good luck finding decent low cost parts that will allow to supply this kind of setup with the necessary reliable power and cooling. We're easily at $600+ now for anything that isn't going to guarantee Xbox levels of RROD failure rates.
Besides no one in their right mind is going to plop down a rig with an ATI 6870 into their living room. That thing is a screamer unless you go with one of the substantially more expensive models with alternative high end cooling.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

106. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 4, 2012, 18:14 CJ_Parker

Prez wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 15:54:
...but it is so hard to understand that people who like a company's products or services generally want said company to make lots of money so that they can continue to make the stuff they like for the foreseeable future?

Yes, it is hard to understand in this context. Because anyone who seriously believes that Valve will "continue to make the stuff they like for the foreseeable future" if the SteamBox rumor turns out to be true is bound to have a very rude awakening. A SteamBox with a proprietary controller would mean a very drastic change of who and what Valve is.
You'll see what I mean when we get there. When Valve will start making and funding exclusive games to push their proprietary platform and controller. When Valve will effectively turn into Microsoft and take a dump on their former business (PC gaming or distribution respectively) to promote their new business (Xbox/SteamBox).
Just wait, see, and suffer. For us "core" PC gamers it will suck. A lot. Mark my words.

101. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 4, 2012, 14:22 CJ_Parker

Fibrocyte wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 11:45:
If done right, the SteamBox will sell well and increase Valve's profits substantially. I'd be surprised if they didn't do this right.

If Valve's profits are your only worry and concern then I don't know what to say except: Nice to meet you, Gabe .

86. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 4, 2012, 01:18 CJ_Parker

Jivaro wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 23:49:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 20:18:
I actually think this is brilliant, in a way: for practically ZERO investment, you can drop a huge library of *PC* games on the TV.

For what an xBox costs right now, you could have a more than compitent mid-grade PC hooked up to a TV.

Honestly? Done right, this could be the second salvo in the battle to keep the PC relevant.

Not a bad thing at all.

^D^

I knew somewhere in all these posts would be one "positive" post that made sense. +1, totally agree. Not that it couldn't go wrong...of course it could, but I don't see what is wrong with Valve testing the waters. Done wrong, its forgotten like the Nintendo Power Glove and Atari Jaguar, done right....it could be pretty damn cool.

Are you crazy? Where did that make any sense? Are people going to start playing PC games on the couch with keyboard and mouse? Yeah? Really?
Of course not. This is not a question of "done right". It's a question of no matter how they do it, it will still end up being just another console. Which means that it might be the last "salvo" in the battle to render the PC completely irrelevant.

Though I have no idea in general where y'all are getting the crazy idea from that Valve are the keepers and saviors of the PC. Starting with HL2 Orange Box their own games have become ever more consolized and Steam is PC-exclusive only because it has to be. I bet Valve would offer console games or services on Steam in a heartbeat if MS and Sony wanted to cooperate with Valve on that level.
Anyway, if they really enter the console market with a SteamBox the PC will suffer more greatly than you can possibly imagine. Bwwwahahahahaaaa

57. removed Mar 3, 2012, 19:40 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 4, 2012, 09:19.

47. removed Mar 3, 2012, 17:10 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 4, 2012, 09:20.

News Comments > Blizzard Cuts ~600 Staff
34. removed Feb 29, 2012, 18:52 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 4, 2012, 09:19.

News Comments > DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied
26. Re: DOOM 4 Screenshots? Cancellation Rumor Denied Feb 29, 2012, 04:55 CJ_Parker

If they really cancelled it I'd shrug and move on. The last must have id game was Q3A and that was about a decade ago. id has become obsolete. Cancel Doom 4 all you want. Who gives a fuck?

News Comments > Sniper Elite V2 Preorder Bonus: Assassinate Hitler
10. Re: Sniper Elite V2 Preorder Bonus: Assassinate Hitler Feb 28, 2012, 18:44 CJ_Parker

It's Adolf Hitler, not Adolph.

News Comments > Diablo III Launch Date Announcement Nears
16. Re: Diablo III Launch Date Announcement Nears Feb 24, 2012, 11:12 CJ_Parker

STFU and announce it or piss off, kthx

News Comments > Gabe Newell on Valve Hardware and Owning Steam Games
25. Re: Gabe Newell on Valve Hardware and Owning Steam Games Feb 20, 2012, 13:06 CJ_Parker

Creston wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 13:02:
Obviously you don't own your games on Steam, but if you can't tell the difference in attitude between how Steam views its customers, and how EA/Origin views it, then I don't really know what to tell you.

Yeah. Awesome. So Valve regards us as top class hookers while for EA we're street slut hookers. Does it really make a difference? At the end of the day we're still getting fucked .

News Comments > Gabe Newell on Valve Hardware and Owning Steam Games
16. Re: Gabe Newell on Valve Hardware and Owning Steam Games Feb 20, 2012, 12:39 CJ_Parker

If you’re not making your customers happy you’re doing something stupid and we certainly always want to make our customers happy. And I think we have a track record of having done that.

Gawd... could ya please remove your tongue from my ass, Gabe? OK. Thank you very much, Sir...

News Comments > CD Projekt RED on Their New Engine
13. Re: CD Projekt RED on Their New Engine Feb 19, 2012, 11:07 CJ_Parker

KilrathiAce wrote on Feb 19, 2012, 04:23:
ROFL someone wrote that xbox 360 at some point had a "lead" on high end PC, that made my day laughing.

Why does the truth make you laugh? It took the nVidia 8800 GTX to really catch up with the Xbox 360. The Xbox 360 was launched in November 2005. The 8800 GTX was released in November 2006.
High end PCs prior to the awesome 8800 series from nVidia got their butt kicked by the Xbox 360, especially on a price/performance level because a single high end GPU would cost a lot more than a Xbox 360 unit back then.

But keep right on laughing. Not my fault you were four years old in 2005 and can't remember shit right...

News Comments > CD Projekt RED on Their New Engine
10. Re: CD Projekt RED on Their New Engine Feb 18, 2012, 21:08 CJ_Parker

Raptor wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 13:38:
Basically what theyarecomingforyou said, so I wouldn't find it that laughable that you can estimate that next gen consoles will have about the same performance that current gen PC's with top specs.

The Xbox 360 had a lead of about a year over back then highend PCs. The same will probably be true for the next gen of consoles. They will most likely kick current high end PC ass and it will take a while until the PC manages to catch up.

This is indeed great news for PC's in general because consoles have been greatly limiting progress.
Being able to develop your next game engines without having to worry about console limitations is a great thing.

Yeah and the best part is if we as PC gamers are going to have to go through the same crap again as every new console cycle with timed console exclusives and shitty performance of the first crop of "next gen" titles and all of that fun stuff that goes along with it .
Seriously though as much as I guess we'd all like to see some advances and games taking advantage of our precious PC specs we should not forget that there is a rather hefty price to pay for this.

News Comments > On Mass Effect 3 DRM
46. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 12:18 CJ_Parker

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 11:37:
Tony!!! wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 10:49:
Christ. What a bunch of Whinny little bitches crying over a NOTHING Issue!
EA trying to subvert the industry by boycotting the largest digital distribution service is a "NOTHING Issue"? What the hell do you class as serious? If it wasn't for Steam then EA would never have allowed you to redownload your games, nor would the Origin client even exist.

You might not care but some of us reject EA's attempt to undermine Valve. Businesses should compete upon merit, not by screwing over the competition. Virtually everything in the Origin store is dramatically overpriced and reduced competition is certainly not going to do anything to change that.

Fuck EA.

Factually wrong on all kinds of levels, Mr. Valve Fanboi No. 1 . It was Valve who kicked EA from Steam and not EA leaving or let alone "boycotting" Steam. "Boycotting"... -> LULZ. What a bunch of bullshit!
Fact is EA wanted to sell some extra stuff for their games outside of Steam. Steam said "no you can't" and showed EA the door. If Valve wouldn't be such tight assholes with control freak mania who want to control what exactly happens with any and every game they are offering on Steam then EA would still be on Steam.

It's also beyond schizophrenic that you don't want anyone to compete with Steam but yet seem to be of the opinion that more competition is good. Or is the only good competition only small competition that does not "undermine" the holy site that Steam seems to be for you?
If you really think that competition is good then you should embrace Origin. If Origin is really as terrible as you make it out to be then the market will sort it out because Origin will fail if it isn't competitive. Simple economics 101. Supply and demand. It's that simple really.
At least for objective people like me who aren't up to their neck in Gabe's fat ass, trembling in our little corner that the holy Empire that is Valve might actually finally have to deal with serious competition for once. Oh noes! We can't have that now, can we?

News Comments > LEGO Star Wars Deal Renewed
7. Re: LEGO Star Wars Deal Renewed Feb 13, 2012, 19:33 CJ_Parker

Renew the XWing deal or fuck off!!!  

News Comments > Activision; Stems WoW Losses; Diablo III Slips
26. Re: Activision; Stems WoW Losses; Diablo III Slips Feb 10, 2012, 14:00 CJ_Parker

Dev wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 12:44:
Yeah... its a complete coincidence that they started to become more focused on money than customers at that time. That they started doing things like removing LAN play from starcraft 2. Making diablo 3 online only. Putting in real money auction house in D3. I'm not even touching on all the things they did in WoW to get more money.

Seriously. Are you retarded? The very existence of Diablo, Warcraft and especially WoW is proof that Blizz was always in it for the MONEY and the MONEY first and foremost. They took popular genres like RPG, RTS and MMORPG and casualized the living fuck out of them in order to -guess what- make FUCKTONS of MONEY.
And if you want to actually read up on some FACTS instead of spewing more BULLSHIT about how the Blizz and Activision connection is working then you might wanna check this:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/interview-blizzard-2

Remember, this is the company that used to sell warcraft and starcraft that let you play multiple players on a lan with just 1 cd. They WANTED people to share the game with others back then.

Bullshit. If they really wanted that they wouldn't even have had a CD check in the first place. But they did. It's why you needed one CD that everyone needed to have in their drive when launching the game for the first time. So why did they have a check if they wanted people to share? See. Bull-fucking-shit.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition Feb 8, 2012, 02:28 CJ_Parker

Alamar wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 23:44:
Techie714 © wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 23:10:
WOOT!!!

And about time... now I only have to wait for it to be on (a steam) sale for $15 : )

-Alamar

Same here. Though I'm aiming even lower. I'll bite at $4.99.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront III Outed?
13. Re: Star Wars Battlefront III Outed? Feb 8, 2012, 02:26 CJ_Parker

DangerDog wrote on Feb 8, 2012, 02:20:
third-person?

third-person

Stab die console scum

Might have more to do with 3rd person being more suitable for lightsaber combat than with consoles, DummyDawg.

News Comments > Thief 2 on GOG.com
7. Re: Thief 2 on GOG.com Feb 8, 2012, 02:23 CJ_Parker

lol@$9.99

This game should be $4.99 MAX

1666 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo