Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 1570 (Pro)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Diablo III
58. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 14:11 CJ_Parker

NKD wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:01:
The loots carrot-on-a-stick is as effective as ever on the mentally weak.

There. I fixed that fer ya. Nice of me huh?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Risen 2 DLC Already on Disc?
18. removed May 6, 2012, 16:48 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 7, 2012, 08:27.

News Comments > Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer
16. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 13:04 CJ_Parker

I like the dude. Everyone's played a wizard or a fighter (Barb) or a monk in some game or another but the witch doc is at least somewhat semi-unique. I also liked the dude's accent, his dry sense of humor and the whole spiritual angle. Cool guy. Imma gunna play dis fuckah!

News Comments > Diablo III Beta Open to All Battle.net Accounts?
43. Re: Diablo III Beta Open to All Battle.net Accounts? Apr 18, 2012, 16:11 CJ_Parker

I think I'm going to have a "wallet accessibility issue" if there is no free for all beta before May 15

News Comments > EA Denies Layoff Rumor
44. Re: EA Denies Layoff Rumor Apr 17, 2012, 01:28 CJ_Parker

Turglar wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 21:16:
And there is a fucking popup telling you your points were reset when you log in.

No there isn't, you n00b. Why is it always people that don't even play the game that feel an urge to reply to shit they know nothing about? *sigh*

36. Re: EA Denies Layoff Rumor Apr 16, 2012, 19:12 CJ_Parker

Teddy wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 18:44:
You mean like in the extensive list of patch change notes that were listed clearly in the launcher when you were downloading and installing the patch?

You clearly haven't even played the game. For the patch notes to show up you have to specifically click on a link in the launcher. They aren't just displayed while you download the patch.
And I have many better things to do than wade through patch notes. Good customer service = notify the player of really important changes (like a full respec) via an in-game pop-up or broadcast message the first time the player logs in after the change. Simple as that.
But hey, feel free to suck up the shitty treatment while paying $15/month for it. In the meantime I'll have some standards.

22. Re: EA Denies Layoff Rumor Apr 16, 2012, 15:07 CJ_Parker

Tim Collins wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 14:37:
The new star wars patch is a complete disaster, its so bad they gave everybody a free month.

Yep. They have a strange way of patching and communicating changes. I haven't played since January and just hopped on real quick to check what 1.2 was like last week only to find all of my skill points refunded for a respec. WTF?!?
How about a little notification about why this was deemed necessary? Maybe give a quick outline of any underlying class changes in the notice so I know what this is all about.
Or am I supposed to dig up the info on their forums (that are down for "maintenance" every time a shitstorm brews on the horizon)? Fuck off. I'm not digging up anything. You fuck with my build, you explain why.

What a bunch of hacks and amateurs...

News Comments > Valve Confirms Hardware Plans
59. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 18:32 CJ_Parker

Overon wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 17:39:
If valve does this right they can make a console like PC hardware and compete with Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony. I want more competition because it's better for me and you!

Maybe for you and everyone else who is into consoles or closed systems gaming in some form or another but it's not good for "free" traditional Windows PC gaming. More fragmentation of the gaming market as a whole would almost certainly mean an even smaller share for traditional PC gaming.

50. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 16:13 CJ_Parker

Verno wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 13:33:
No way. Research, development and design of a barebone PC would cost lots of money for very little return since selling PCs has become a very low margin business.

They might try to follow the console model and just lose money on the hardware while making it up on the software.

Make it up on the software how? Valve can't collect a $10 fee for PC games from the publishers like MS and Sony are doing it for their closed Xbox and Playstation systems. Make it up on the software how in a very competitive environment with other digital download services? Make it up on the software how if it is the publishers who dictate the prices of their games and not Valve?
Maybe by charging for some of their own software? For what? For Steam itself? OK. Bye Valve. Hello Origin, GOG, GamersGate, Direct2Drive, Green Man Gaming and so on...

Nah. Seriously. No way. There is absolutely no way they are doing a Steambox PC. Why the hell would they do that anyway? To spread Steam to more PCs worldwide? It would be much easier to invest serious money into ad campaigns or to bribe some publishers to do more Steam-exclusive stuff or to call up Dell or HP or Acer and pay them some cash to ship every PC with Steam pre-installed. There is zero reason for Valve to become a (HT)PC builder with the low margins in that area of business and the ever growing popularity of gaming capable mobile computers and tablets. It would be outright retarded of them to even try to enter the hardware (HT)PC market.

If whatever it is they are hiring for is a box/platform then it's Valve's games-as-a-service streaming solution or if it isn't then it's some gaming peripheral as others have pointed out.
But it ain't a PC or a console - never ever.

38. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 13:29 CJ_Parker

Razumen wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 12:06:
Streaming is more niche and unreliable than either consoles or PC...

Are we entirely sure about that? OnLive seems to be working fairly well and who says that OnLive is doing it all right? Maybe Valve could do it all much better and bring streaming out of its niche. Everyone was lol'ing at Steam in the early days. No one would have ever thought it would ever become what it is now.
Valve think long term, not like most people just a couple of weeks ahead, and streaming will become a major part of the media landscape. There's no doubt about it. Microsoft is really keen on the whole streaming biz and who knows maybe Valve is going to pwn them a second time (the first time being when Steam became what GFW(L) was supposed to be from the start).

... plus they'd still have to invest in a server farm to render those games and pump it them to the players. And did I mention streaming is shit?

If there is one area where Valve is right at home it's gotta be server farms. They are very experienced in running an extremely large network by now. Will it be a technical challenge? Yes. Will it be worth it if the end result is you can give Microsoft and other big media corps the finger? Fuck yeah.
And streaming doesn't have to be shit. As I said the tech is relatively new and hasn't nearly been fully explored yet. There's a good chance that Valve could find ways around the usual issues like lag by syncing input devices and the display in all new ways (see here for a vague reference that this can generally be done: Lucid MVP and HyperFormance).

No, I think it's more likely it's a standardized barebones PC that you can play Steam games on out of the box on your TV - They already have the infrastructure, a HUGE library of games, they've admitted to developing a Big-TV mode for Steam and have a decent name for themselves, I'd say it's very much possible.

No way. Research, development and design of a barebone PC would cost lots of money for very little return since selling PCs has become a very low margin business.
Then there's the even bigger -MUCH BIGGER- issue of Microsoft who will not watch idly as Valve brings PC gaming to the TV. Because that's exactly what the Xbox is all about. It's Microsoft's core Xbox philosophy actually.
Also Steam isn't an OS and Microsoft owns Windows. There are a million ways they could make life a real bitch for Valve like requiring a fee for the sale of each Windows game or slipping some "oops code" into a DirectX or Windows update that "accidentally" messes with the Valve PC. Network hacks and attacks... you name it.

All of that totally aside from the very likely legal action that Valve would face from Microsoft or that Valve might have to take against Microsoft to make that Valve PC become a reality. Or legal action from publishers who might be OK with their game on Steam in a free PC market but don't want their game on a Steambox PC. Remember that Valve does not own the games they sell.

Forget it. There's no way that Valve is doing a Steam console or a Steam barebone PC. Valve's philosophy right now is "games as a service" and a St(r)eambox as a set-top box would be just the thing they need to become a leading player in bringing that market to the mainstream before anyone else does.

18. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 11:28 CJ_Parker

I don't think that the Steambox will really resemble a PC (not even a stripped down one) or a console. My money is more on a set-top box for streaming games and other content to users at home.

Entering the high end console market at this point would seem unwise. Let MS and Sony duke it out. Why take an unnecessary risk by trying desperately to break into a market that requires a multi-billion $ initial investment just for an entrance fee? Not gonna happen.
And the classic PC market? Nah. Plain unattractive. They'd have to deal with fierce competition, price wars, supply & demand issues, RMAs and all that crap... nope, not gonna happen either.

Which leaves us with choice no. 3, i.e. an OnLive kind of service. Streaming services are destined to become a major part of the media landscape a few years down the road and since all of the other big corps seem to have decided on a wait&see strategy this could just be the perfect opportunity for Valve to claim a major stake in this rather new area of business. Valve have proven to be smart long term strategists. They wouldn't do just another console or just another PC. They'll do something else, something newish. Steambox = Streambox. Mark my words.

News Comments > Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned
144. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 19:00 CJ_Parker

Kajetan wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 18:13:
CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 17:23:
Well, why don't you set a good example and start providing facts, hard numbers and data on why piracy is NOT a problem first?
Where are your numbers and facts?

See. You can't either.

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d10423.pdf
http://torrentfreak.com/piracy-may-boost-sales-111102/
http://www.unc.edu/~cigar/papers/FileSharing_March2004.pdf
Pirates Are The Music Industry’s Most Valuable Customers
Game Changing Study Puts Piracy in Perspective

There are some reports and documents as a start, hinting that non-commercial content piracy is not as bad as being told by the industry for decades.

Where are yours?

WTF? It was you who made up the rule that no "articles" (because they are all full of made up numbers and LIES right?) may be posted and then all you got is a number of links to umm... well, articles and opinion pieces? Wasn't it you who demanded HARD data, facts, and numbers? And then all you got is... this^

Hmmmppfff.... bwwahahaha L to the O to the L, loser

Done with this thread. You guys keep on living in denial of the piracy problem, sure, go ahead if it makes you feel better but don't be surprised if PC gaming goes down the shitter even faster because of y'allz ignorance.
Oh, and in between posts where you defend and justify piracy don't forget to check your taskbar for the progress on that download you got going. Ya'd hate to miss getting on that latest freebie ride as soon as it's done wouldn'tcha?

114. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 17:23 CJ_Parker

Kajetan wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 17:12:
CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 17:06:
All evidence is pointing towards that being the case.
Show us. Show us numbers, show us facts, show us evidence. Not just quoting someone, who utters only unproven assumptions. Please. A proof. Something. Something you can use as an actual argument based on facts. Please?

Well, why don't you set a good example and start providing facts, hard numbers and data on why piracy is NOT a problem first? And as you said no lame quotes or comments but real numbers and facts.

See. You can't either.

So what do we do? Do we listen to the people with inside knowledge like a Jeff Vogel who said that sales of one his games was cut in half when the torrent became available or do we put our head and ass in the sand ignoring people like him and yell "LIES!!!111" from the top of our lungs?
Don't answer which choice you would make. It's obvious.

109. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 17:06 CJ_Parker

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 16:47:
Another head in the sand post from one (like Capps) who doesn't have a clue.

The only people with their head in the sand are the people who continue to live in a state of denial about piracy being a huge problem. All evidence is pointing towards that being the case. It's not just EA, Epic, Ubi or other big corps but also indies like Jeff Vogel (Spiderweb) or CD Project have expressed their dissatisfaction with rampant piracy.
Now one might argue over how to best deal with the problem, like whether DRM is a viable solution or not and all that stuff but to deny that the problem exists is ignorant to the level you're buried in the sand up to your ass and not just your head.

News Comments > John Romero's Shooter Plans
20. Re: John Romero's Shooter Plans Apr 6, 2012, 02:39 CJ_Parker

"PC-first", not PC-exclusive and "MMO-ish"... see I knew there was a catch if Romero had "plans". Obviously the plan is to fuck up again. OK. Have at it, Johnnyboy. Your money, not mine .  

News Comments > PC Ghost Recon Future Soldier in June; Specs; DRM Details
27. Re: PC Ghost Recon Future Soldier in June; Specs; DRM Details Apr 3, 2012, 17:30 CJ_Parker

They forgot the following PC version feature:

• Turned the game from a retarded 3rd person GoW clone into a true first person Ghost Recon game

• As long as the above feature is not implemented I'm not touching this shit.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs
    32. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 23:24 CJ_Parker

Acleacius wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 23:03:
    This is bullshit and so is bethesda. Middlefinger

Yeah them arseholes!!11 How dare they outsource FNV to Obsidian instead of an Eastern European RPG sweatshop where they could have had FNV made for a fraction and still raked in the millions just off of brand recognition?

Obsidian had less than half the resources and time bethesda took on Fallout 3. Fallout New Vegas was a better game by all accounts for the limited time and money they had budgeted.

Yes and have you heard? The fuckers from Bethesda forced every dev at Obsidian to tie one of their arms to the chair and put tape over one of their eyes! The working conditions must have been true horror! HORRORORORORORORORAAAWRRRR!!!!

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs
    13. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 21:44 CJ_Parker

Well then... try harder next time Obsidian and quite whining, kthx  

News Comments > Dishonored Trailer
    13. Re: Dishonored Trailer Mar 13, 2012, 09:48 CJ_Parker

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 08:45:
    Also in 1:03+ you can see the right dude playing with a tablet, or phone.. doing something that is not part of the interview anyway.. or maybe he is reading his lines.. but looks very unprofessional ;p

Yeah I noticed that, too, and I was like WTF is he playing with his DICK or wot?!?

News Comments > Dishonored Trailer
    9. Re: Dishonored Trailer Mar 13, 2012, 06:13 CJ_Parker

Extremely underwhelming indeed.  

1570 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 29.
    < Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo