Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 2778 (Senior)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > Risen 3 Graphics Rise
11. Re: Risen 3 Graphics Rise Aug 22, 2015, 20:58 CJ_Parker

Exploration and vistas is indeed just about the only thing this game has going for it. And partially also character progression but only in the non-combat skills as the progression in the combat skills is just making an easy game even more boring.

But the story, the quests, the characters, the dialogues and the lore is all very deep in forgettable territory and it's definitely one huge cringefest as Kajetan pointed out very correctly. It's a pretty silly RPG light kiddie pirate game (PotC FTW).

So it depends on what kind of gamer you are. If you are the type who just skips all the blahblah and every cutscene then it might actually not be too bad a game if you just go out there and explore the islands.
You can not really miss anything by skipping the blahblah anyway. If you explore carefully then just about every quest will auto-complete. The game does not spawn quest content (except on chapter resets) but it's there from the start so you can just goof around and collect the gold and xp in passing by.

At under $10 I would recommend giving it a shot if anyone is into open world RPGs. It would be ideal if you have not played a really good open world RPG like Skyrim or The Witcher 3 recently though because Risen 3 is several leagues below those games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sword Coast Legends Head Start Plans
4. Re: Sword Coast Legends Head Start Plans Aug 22, 2015, 15:16 CJ_Parker

$239.99? Is Christ Roberts a consultant for this game or wut???

Anyway, I really hope they nail the single player campaign. The gameplay looked like fun in the E3 and Gamescom videos so I hope the campaign is not an afterthought like the horribly boring snorefest that was the NWN OC.
Guess I'll be waiting for single player campaign reviews and the Steam Xmas sale before taking the plunge.

News Comments > Risen 3 Graphics Rise
5. Re: Risen 3 Graphics Rise Aug 22, 2015, 14:54 CJ_Parker

Quboid wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 13:47:
It's odd that they release this just after a massive discount. It had been 80% off, quite steep for a game that's only a year old. I might have bought it if I had known about this.

It's not odd. This is just a byproduct of the PS4 port which was released this week. The PS4 got the Risen 3 Enhanced Edition (and still looks a lot shittier than the PC version) and the PC got an Enhanced Edition patch which pretty much does fuck all but actually makes it worse looking according to people who have played it (exaggerated bloom, shitty blurry DoF can no longer be disabled and performance with high res 4096 shadows is ass).

TLDR: Fuck this patch.

Is the combat any better than the previous Risen games?

Nope. Same shit, different game. Out of the Risen games, Risen 1 actually had the best combat though it wasn't exactly stellar either.
In addition to a pretty crappy combat system, Risen 3 also has massive balancing issues as a bonus. The game gets way too easy especially after you have joined a faction. It's not really a problem before that either though because you can just gun everything down. It's really stupid. You can easily cleanse the entire world in the first chapter (OK technically second chapter because you can not access the entire world in the first chapter).

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 2015, 15:05.

News Comments > 220M Grand Theft Auto Games Sold
7. Re: 220M Grand Theft Auto Games Sold Aug 22, 2015, 04:12 CJ_Parker

I'm a proud non-owner of GTA V.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
29. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 19, 2015, 13:46 CJ_Parker

Flatline wrote on Aug 19, 2015, 13:29:
Go look at the stretch goals. They stopped substantially at like 20 million or so (I can't remember the actual number). Everything after that is either new ships or new planets.

None of the infrastructure of the game expanded past that point supposedly.

That is not correct. I mean look at them indeed.

For example:

- $21m = Salvage Mechanic = Gameplay Enhancement
- $22m = Facial Capture System = Technical Enhancement
- $24m = Public Transportation System = Gameplay Enhancement
- $26m = Enhanced Capital Ship Gameplay = Gameplay Enhancement
- $29m = Enhanced Mission Design for Squadron 42 = Gameplay Enhancement
- $41m = Procedural Generation R&D Team = Technical Scope Change
- $44m = Stellar Cartography = Gameplay Enhancement
- $50m = Alien Languages = Gameplay Enhancement
- $53m = Independent Arbitrator's Guild = Gameplay Enhancement/Supervision
- $54m = More Detailed AI Activities = Gameplay Enhancement
- $64m = Pets = Gameplay Enhancement
- $65m = Enhanced Ship Modularity = Gameplay Enhancement

$65m was the final stretch goal. Everything since then is "moar awsum" fidelity, immershun and all that stuff that Chris Roberts loves to talk about for hours...

18. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 19, 2015, 04:07 CJ_Parker

Kxmode wrote on Aug 19, 2015, 00:07:
This is regarding:

“When we first started, we raised $6 million with crowdfunding,” Roberts told me. “That was a lot, but it still wasn’t what we were gonna make the game for because we had private investors lined up. At that point, we were thinking of making a much more contained game. But as things went on and the stretch goals kept getting hit, people were basically saying, ‘We want this feature’ and ‘we want that feature.’ So obviously, the scope changed. It naturally follows that if you’re gonna build a house and then someone says, ‘No, we want you to build a huge castle,’ even if you have a lot more money, it’s gonna take more time to build the castle.”

Two points.

1. When funding reached 20 million Roberts wrote a community letter praising their combined efforts to reach such a milestone. In that letter he wanted to address their growing concerns over scope creep.

There has been some concern about “feature creep” with the additional stretch goals. You should all know that we carefully consider the goals we announce.

. . .

The first are goals that involve features we already have planned or have implemented, but we couldn’t create content because of budgetary constraints.

. . .

But both types of goals are carefully considered — we don’t commit to adding features that would hold up the game’s ability to go “live” in a fully functional state.

So in September 2013 Roberts tells concerned Backers "No, it's cool. This is shit we planned to add from the beginning. We just need more Backers - like you - to give us more money to make it happen." Then today, August 2015, Chris is now blaming those very Backers for the game's current "scope creep". Like what the actual fuck?!

2. Roberts now admits in writing that "we were thinking of making a much more contained game". In other words that game he pitched on Kickstarter.

I'm at a complete loss for words. This is like the scene in "A Few Good Men" when Jessep admits to ordering the death of PFC Santiago in a court of law.

It gets even better when you add one of my favorite quotes from the Kickstarter days (KS Update #47):

Six million was what it would take us to build the game we were imagining with all the bells and whistles we wanted included. Well, here we are with just over eight hours to go and that impossible goal where everything is unlocked is suddenly in sight. At six million you'll launch the game with 100 systems, a full orchestral score and a free copy of the first Squadron 42 mission disk, Behind Enemy Lines.

^ Chris "Chairman of Flip&Flop" Roberts

2. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 18, 2015, 17:59 CJ_Parker

Well, I really hope that all of the animations we saw at Gamescom were placeholders because that stuff looked sooo amateurish like it was made by some elementary school kiddies during their lunch break.  

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS Development Moves In-House
20. Re: Star Citizen FPS Development Moves In-House Aug 18, 2015, 15:56 CJ_Parker

Comet wrote on Aug 18, 2015, 15:21:
We can speculate all we want, but in the end of the day Illfonic has stated that they are nearing the end of their work on Star Marine. We may not be experts in game development but anyone that follows games knows that development companies start scaling down and moving people when they are close to releasing a game.

Yep. Nothing unusual here. As the CIG rep said they could not have possibly all done it in-house because hiring a few hundred people would have taken a lot of time. So they outsourced it and that project is now (finally) nearing completion. Business as usual.

You may not believe Illfonic. Perhaps they are just hiding the reality of how poor Star Marine development went.

They definitely had a lot of issues. CR said that Star Marine would come out in March when they showed off the rather complete looking demo at CitizenCon (or whatever it was) late last year.
After that CIG sent their producer Travis Day down to Illfonic for almost two months (IIRC), the delay from March to whenever was very poorly communicated (they basically went black and only informed backers at the end of May) and as a backer who is following development closely it all seemed pretty chaotic to me and like Illfonic was not really on top of things like they should have been.

So in the end it is certainly a good decision to move FPS in house since whether we like it or not (I don't... I'm in the gimme-a-space-sim-only camp) it is going to be an integral part of the game.
As for Star Marine, I really hope they will replace just about ALL of the animations before it is released. The stuff they showed at Gamescom was ridiculously bad for a company that constantly boasts about "highest fidelity", "immersion" and "revolutionary" things.
Fuck, they even had a stretch goal for their own mocap studio so how can you seriously with a straight face show off animations that look like an amateur asshole like me slapped them together in five mins?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 17, 2015, 21:06 CJ_Parker

Diamond Monster 3D FTW!

Voodoo 3 is already from the time when 3Dfx had become a sad joke...

News Comments > Seven Announced
20. Re: Seven Announced Aug 17, 2015, 21:02 CJ_Parker

Quinn wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 15:45:
Darks wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 11:43:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 11:34:
Goddammit! Another fookin' cartoony mickey mouse game! Faaaarrrrrkkkk!!!

You must be dizzy, those are concept art. Not the actual game. they haven't shown anything for that yet.

How could he miss that? Solid proof that some are just here to troll.

Why do they make cartoony concepts if the final game is not supposed to be cartoony? Are they retarded? Do they not know what concepts are for? This is giving the impression of a cartoony stylized Borderlands-like game.
With ex-CDP I was hoping for a more realistic dark'n'gritty style just like El Witcheroo, ya know?!
But it's a moot point because isometric can go and fuck itself anyway. I ain't interested in another point&click snorefest.
Gimme the Witcher 3 EE and expansions next year and I'll be one happy camper!

News Comments > SafeDisc Broken Under Windows 10
12. Re: SafeDisc Broken Under Windows 10 Aug 17, 2015, 20:04 CJ_Parker

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 17:57:
Since this only applies to disc versions of these old games, it's really not a big deal.

Not a big deal? There are Microsoft games like Freelancer and Starlancer affected by this. And now guess who has been too incompetent all these years to manage a digital re-release of these games? You got it. Anti-PC gaming Microshit, of course. So their suggestion to switch to the digital versions of any games that cause trouble really hits a 100/100 on the irony meter. Those stupid inept fucks!

Oh, and since we are in MS bashing mode: I also love how I can no longer access my legitimately bought copy of Age of Empires III Complete ever since MS dropped GFWL. When I log into my MS account I can actually see it in my transaction history but there is no link, nothing. And, yes, I've tried the shitty Xbox app, everything. I can not access my game. Did I mention yet how incompetent these fuckers are??

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2015, 20:10.

News Comments > Seven Announced
8. Re: Seven Announced Aug 17, 2015, 11:34 CJ_Parker

Goddammit! Another fookin' cartoony mickey mouse game! Faaaarrrrrkkkk!!!  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools
23. Re: The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools Aug 14, 2015, 13:52 CJ_Parker

Creston wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 13:34:
Please. Skyrim sold 30+ million copies. The reason the next Elder Scrolls is a long way off is because all their actual world builders/scripters/animators etc are all working on Fallout 4 and will then work on DLC. Not until after FO4 has been released will people gradually move over to ES6. This has been their MO for over a decade. Witcher 3 has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Eeeeeeexactacaly. It might also have to do with TESO. Maybe Beth does indeed hope that people with an itch for TES will hop on TESO sooner or later.

I have a bad feeling because Todd Howard specifically said "very long time". That doesn't sound like their usual four/five years at all but much longer.

Look at how Blizz has not released Warcraft 4 until today even though it would instantly sell millions. Is Beth following in their footsteps with TES and delaying any SP TES indefinitely?

It could also be technical reasons. Maybe FO4 is the last game they want do on the Creation engine. Writing a new more advanced engine from scratch that has the same capabilities especially with regard to modding has got to be a pretty epic undertaking.

Whatever it may be, TW3 certainly has zilch to do with it. What silly fanboi blabbering. Skyrim is a 2011 old gen game. TW3 is a 2015 current gen game. Four years and one full console gen difference. Any comparison is therefore beyond retarded to begin with.

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Access
17. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Access Aug 13, 2015, 01:42 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 21:20:
Krowen wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 21:13:
Jackplug wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 20:48:
You really gonna fall for this bullshit?

Trying it for free is bullshit?

Obviously. It's a ploy by Roberts to create new addicts who will then spend thousands on virtual ships.

Well, if there is one thing that the current state of Arena Commander is NOT going to do then create new addicts. The only thing that creates new addicts is flashy trailers of future pipe dreams.
It's really kinda odd cuz AC is not really in broader public shape. Maybe they were just too lazy to implement a more restrictive access system and just went 'fuck it, make the code GAMESCOM2015 and let everyone have a taste'(?).

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Access
6. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Access Aug 12, 2015, 19:44 CJ_Parker

Quboid wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 18:28:
Do you need to have pledged for a ship or do we get a free one?

The DSO Gaming blurb says "access to all flyable ships" so you can apparently just have at it.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin II Announced
18. Re: Divinity: Original Sin II Announced Aug 12, 2015, 11:37 CJ_Parker

Kajetan wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 11:25:
Hmmm, didnt they say last year that they dont want another Crowdfunding for the next game, because they got enough monies?

Sort of but not quite... if you want to read up on it check Swen's blog (in chronological order from top to bottom):

- Thoughts after releasing Divinity:Original Sin and what comes next
- The halo effect
- Returning to Kickstarter

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin II Announced
17. Re: Divinity: Original Sin II Announced Aug 12, 2015, 11:32 CJ_Parker

HAHA so they believe that people have forgotten about all of the no show broken promises? Well, not everyone is suffering from Alzheimer's disease. I've backed part 1 at collector's edition level but with D:OS II I'm going to wait for the Enhanced Edition.  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch Notes
15. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch Notes Aug 11, 2015, 08:37 CJ_Parker

InBlack wrote on Aug 11, 2015, 03:12:
After playing the Witcher3 how can anyone go back to this single player MMO turd?

^ this

I've only played the free trial of DAI but compared to The Witcher?

LOL@DAI

News Comments > Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown
124. Re: Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown Aug 10, 2015, 20:23 CJ_Parker

dsmart wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 06:11:
In this GC2015 video, in which he states Social Module (end of Aug), Star Marine (end of Sept), Multi-Crew (end of Oct). He never mentions anything about SQ42 or the PU, or even AC 2.0.

But he does... I originally said starting at "around 08:30" and, OK, I was off by six seconds as the question starts at 08:24.

At 08:45: "We're gonna have iterations of the PU by the end of this year."
At 08:52: "And then towards the end of 2016 we're hoping to have the full PU working and functioning. That's still our plan so..."

^ Note how he said FULL persistent universe, too! The only thing he dodged was Squadron 42. Also, AFAIK multicrew (end of October) is essentially the same as AC 2.0. The main feature of AC 2.0 was always going to be multiplayer ships. If there was a change of numbering then I'm not aware of it but until a few weeks back that's how it was. Multicrew = AC 2.0.

@Vall Forran: So you're saying the missile just flies through the drone as if it was not there? Huh? Wasn't one of CR's favorite pastimes always boasting about the whole physical super-accuracy of the simulation? Like to the point where every space dust particle is physically correct? But a missile just passes through a drone if it does not have a lock on it? Wow.

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 2015, 20:29.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 10, 2015, 14:18 CJ_Parker

Creston wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 10:58:
On the gaming front, I found strange input lag in StarCraft II. It wasn't hugely noticeable but scrolling and commands took slightly longer than they did in Windows 8.1, just enough that in a competitive game it felt sluggish.
After a quick Google search I found a number of users complaining about the same thing and all sources blamed Windows 10's Xbox application which is built into the OS and cannot be removed via conventional methods.
Despite never running this app or having an Xbox account to actually use it, it appears this was my problem. Fortunately, there's a Powershell command to disable the Xbox app and doing so eliminated the lag, allowing StarCraft II to play like it did on Windows 8.1. It was a disappointing discovery, but I'm glad it was relatively easy to overcome with some help from the Internet.

Yay, xbox app.

It is completely incredible that they have the balls to actually FORCE that fucking garbage on us.
This should be one of the Win10 install options: "Are you a retard and do you own a Xbox or have a Xbox account?" and then if you select you're not a retard then the ShitBox app should not even get installed in the first place. FUCK MICROSOFT.

2778 Comments. 139 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo