Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 1392 (Pro)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Portal 2 Sells 3 Million
30. Re: Portal Sells 3 Million Jun 23, 2011, 13:54 CJ_Parker

Beamer wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 13:10:
Don't see how. Are you denying that Valve does whatever the hell they want to do?

Yes, I'm denying that. They live in the same world with the same business realities as the rest of us mere mortals. I'm 100% sure that sometimes they are doing what the hell they have to do rather than what they want to do.
Or do you see Half-Life 2: Episode 3 anywhere, you know, a game they very much wanted to do?

Are you denying that they make what they think is fun for themselves?

Valve is a corporate entity employing over 250 people. I doubt very much that each and every one of their games meets the taste of each and every employee. So who is this mythical "they" we are talking about?
Regardless of that I'm naturally not denying that what they are making is fun for themselves because if they did anything else in their very independent luxury situation (nod@Steam) they'd be seriously frackin retarded. They don't have to be the mercenaries of the gaming world like Obsidian.
Still, even Valve isn't living in a box so any and all of their business decisions are certainly not just based on the "fun factor" but on the same factors that EA or Activision are basing their decisions on (ROI and all that bottom line stuff).

And let's face it: Valve are not taking a lot of chances or risking much. They started out safe by making a shooter and if you look at all of their games they are (or rather were) almost exclusively amateur or hobby projects gone professional (CS/TF/Portal/DoD etc.). Valve always kept the risk very low by not investing big and obviously they had a really good sense for what would fly with people. Credit where credit is due. They did an awesome job on that front. They are an extremely efficient business venture.
But I'd be very hesitant to glorify them as the rebel yell hard rock idols of gaming because that's definitely not who or what they are.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Portal 2 Sells 3 Million
27. Re: Portal Sells 3 Million Jun 23, 2011, 12:36 CJ_Parker

Beamer wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 11:35:
It's Valve, for shit's sake. They're gamers, serious gamers, and they make the games THEY want to play.

Gaaaawwwwd... *sound of curling toenails*... fanboi much, dude?

News Comments > Op Ed
47. Re: Op Ed Jun 22, 2011, 17:58 CJ_Parker

^Drag0n^ wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 17:50:
It's appears to be a common horror element as it is something that women find universally scary.

Not just women, dude, or how would you like a tentacle up your ass?
Oh. OK. I see. Sorry, I didn't know that. No, I have no problem with gay people, why? *backs off slowly*

News Comments > FIFA 12 in September
5. Re: FIFA 12 in September Jun 22, 2011, 17:53 CJ_Parker

Optional nickname wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 15:12:
I was such an asshole. I gave up a weekend long opportunity of lovemaking to a sweet 18 yr old French chick, because...

That doesn't sound like you were an "asshole" but more like a first class retard .

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dungeon Siege III, PC Control Fixes Planned
33. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeon Siege III, PC Control Fixes Planned Jun 21, 2011, 18:02 CJ_Parker

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 17:45:
Oh yeah I'm sure they wanted to rush DA2 out the door in 18 months half baked making tons of game mechanics changes, streamlining the fuck out of it, and having a framed narrative that falls flat on it's face in many places.

That was Bioware's goal all along right? The idea that Bioware has any control at this point of it's release schedules is laughable at best.

Aw how cute. Touched the nerve of a BioWare fanboi there, did I? Oopsie.

First, you do realize that we were previously talking about Dragon Age: Origins, right? You also realize that there is a difference between Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2, namely that the second part is actually the sequel to the first part and thus they are not the same, right? Second, you do realize that I posted a developer quote, you know, a quote of a person working at BioWare in a high level position with actual insight which incidentally is the opposite of a foaming at the mouth EA hater like you? Ya gotz allz that? Wow. Good boy. Now let's do it 1 + 1 = ...?

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeon Siege III, PC Control Fixes Planned Jun 21, 2011, 17:26 CJ_Parker

necrosis wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 17:14:
Then again it was a PC game from the ground up without a thought about a console version till EA bought Bioware, demanded a console version, and delayed the PC version 6 months when it was DONE because they were worried about console sales.

This, my poor uninformed friend, is 100% grade A bullshit. Here's the un-bullshitted version (scroll down to comment #48) straight from the horse's mouth with the horse being BioWare's Live Team Producer Derek French who posted on these very forums:

If you have had any experience with a BioWare game launch I can firmly state that all delays and target platforms rest solely at the discretion of BioWare. We chose to delay the game. We chose the platforms we want it to be on. EA acquired BioWare and Pandemic about 2 years ago and they have been supportive about our decisions, not the cause of them. We are doing exactly what we want to do on this project.

Derek French
Technical Producer, Live Team
BioWare

Ya got that, n00b?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 21, 2011, 14:49 CJ_Parker

Mickeysoft can go and shove their cloud crap where the sun don't shine. You think anyone is seriously gonna want to store their private documents on the web? Yeah? Really? So some joker club like LulzSec can steal everyone's private shit including their steamy hot private love letters or their private letters to their shrink to publish them on the Internets for "teh lulz"?
Yep. Genius thinking there at Redmond HQ. Where Google, Facebook and others have just run out of ideas to spy on people, Mickeysoft is just warming up... you go, girl!

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeon Siege III, PC Control Fixes Planned Jun 21, 2011, 14:14 CJ_Parker

baltar wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 13:54:
Against my better judgement, I am going to play devil's advocate and say that they probably didn't know the controls were going to be this badly an issue until after the demo came out.

Any game designer (and we have to use that term very loosely with regard to DS3 on a whole) who did not know how much this control scheme SUCKS on the PC needs to get the fuck out of game design. Like yesterday. Honestly, if they got positive feedback on this shit from testers or some kind of focus group then they need to stop picking up random crackheads from the street for cheap testing or focusing.

This isn't the first time that Obsidian is going the way of the retard either. See NWN 2 for reference. Movement and camera controls in top-down and third person games have been done to death and done well by other developers. Why the fuck do these Obsidian fraggles seem to think that they need to reinvent the wheel every time they shit out one of their clown games?

Jesus H Motherfucker of Christ. Talk about annoying...

News Comments > Tomasz Gop Leaves CD Projekt RED, Interview
1. Re: Tomasz Gop Leaves CD Projekt RED, Interview Jun 20, 2011, 19:23 CJ_Parker

Sha-nah-nah-nah Sha-nah-nah-nah heeeeyyyy~heeeeeyyyy Goo~oood-bye!

News Comments > QUAKE "Reboot" Possible
50. Re: QUAKE Jun 17, 2011, 17:27 CJ_Parker

Beamer wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 15:44:
And if I recall Romero did the entire Quake design document. He was fired halfway through, right? And that's part of the reason it's so insanely disjointed and incoherent?

The reasons for "disjointed and incoherent" would be that id didn't make their games to tell a story back then but that they made the game first (or a series of cool levels) and then at the very last minute they slapped a story on the whole thing. That's why id games never had much of a story to begin with. At least until Doom 3/Quake 4 when they needed to get a little more serious with the story stuff since somewhere along the way Half-Life 1 + 2 and also the single player Unreals had set a precedent how to combine cool levels, fun gameplay and a decent plot.

I always find it highly amusing though when people (who are probably way too young to have played one of the early id games) talk about the original Doom or Quake games and how they'd looove to see the "stories" continued. L to the O to the L. The "story" of the classic Dooms and Quakes was "Find the fucking level exit and all of the secrets and hurry the fuck up". That was all there was to it after all.

News Comments > Free-to-Play Games on Steam
14. Re: Free-to-Play Games on Steam Jun 14, 2011, 19:10 CJ_Parker

kthx dude  

News Comments > Free-to-Play Games on Steam
12. Re: Free-to-Play Games on Steam Jun 14, 2011, 18:23 CJ_Parker

So is any of that free shit any good or is it bad like most free shit?

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
9. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jun 11, 2011, 21:18 CJ_Parker

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 19:30:
Which is what they said, people will get exposure to Torchlight franchise, so when Torchlight 2, and the Torchlight MMO come out they are potential customers.

Yep. Potential customers of Rapidshare and UseNeXT .

News Comments > It Came from E3 2011, Part 3
2. Re: It Came from E3 2011, Part 3 Jun 7, 2011, 22:12 CJ_Parker

Yay! Finally the important stuff...

News Comments > Dungeon Siege III Demo
3. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 7, 2011, 10:26 CJ_Parker

PHJF wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 10:20:
cant be worse than space siege

Now that's a great consolation. Hey maybe it's not even as bad as cancer huh?

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patch
22. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Jun 3, 2011, 18:55 CJ_Parker

Draugr wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 17:27:
http://flawlesswidescreen.org/

3rd part fix for aspect ratio. It worked for 1.1 but I dunno if things will change with 1.2 as I haven't gotten a chance to mess with it yet.

edit - It doesn't so I guess we'll need to wait for the program to be updated or CDP to support it. Sorry for the false lead.

CDP already confirmed that official 16:10 support will be coming in a future patch so the question is only when and not if.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patch
18. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Jun 3, 2011, 17:21 CJ_Parker

KilrathiAce wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 17:07:
Overon wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 13:49:
Does this patch have the fullscreen 16:10 aspect ratio fixed? There are black bars on the top and bottom of the screen because of the lack of support for fullscreen 16:10 aspect ratios.

I back this question up... COME ON ANSWER!

Dude, relax and read the fucking thread. The question was already answered in reply #10.

News Comments > Star Wars Games "Our Priority" - LucasArts
20. Re: Star Wars Games Jun 2, 2011, 16:52 CJ_Parker

DangerDog wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 16:41:
so no Xwing vs Tie fighter in the pipeline.

Anyone who even remotely believes in plans of a proper X-Wing vs TIE game really needs to do the world the favor of checking in at a mental health facility where they lock the doors behind you. kthx.

News Comments > ThunderHawk Studios Formed by Mad Catz
1. Re: ThunderHawk Studios Formed by Mad Catz Jun 1, 2011, 10:15 CJ_Parker

Flight sim? WTF?!? What's with the rush to go out of business, guys? C'mon. You could at least struggle a bit y'know...

News Comments > Call of Duty: Elite Beta Signups
19. Re: Call of Duty: Elite Beta Signups Jun 1, 2011, 09:47 CJ_Parker

Where can I sign up for them to suck my dick?

1392 Comments. 70 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo