Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 2786 (Senior)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 13, 2015, 16:57 CJ_Parker

Paranoid Jack wrote on Sep 13, 2015, 16:36:
Techie714 © wrote on Sep 13, 2015, 14:13:
I finished Witcher 3 & absolutely LOVED it! I think my only grip with it is the one most people have, it's too damn long! I swear that game just does not end. I finally got to Kaer Morhen castle thinking "Alright, finally at the end"...LOL Nope! you still have a TON of more work ahead.

*Still waiting to play GTA V but the damn price NEVER drops!

Just got a special email from GMG with GTA5 at $44.95. I'm holding out for a lower price since I already own it on the PS4. Sadly I just deleted it before I checked this thread. Hopefully somebody else also got it and can forward you the link. I went through all my accounts and can't find it in the deleted folders.

Why would you need a "special email"? You just go to the GMG website and check the VIP deals. Presto.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 13, 2015, 14:13 CJ_Parker

No digital game bound to a DRM platform like Steam is really worth even near the amount of money you are quoting. Owning digital games is like rent as the platform holder can withdraw your rights of usage at any time.
With extremely few exceptions, my personal maximum price for digital rent is <= $/€9.99. I'm not willing to risk more on games that Valve might (partially) delete from my account at any time (like GTA San Andreas where they killed all the music tracks due to short-sighted licensing agreements).

A DRM-free own-and-play-forever retail copy might be worth $60 or even $80 depending on the contents of the box but generally fuck digital game pricing and hooray for Steam/GMG sales (and CDKeys.com). I'm not paying anywhere near full price for any of that garbage in this top 10 except maybe for The Witcher 3 next year when the EE will hopefully come out. Though I might actually get the retail of that one if they make another nice bundle with Gwent cards and maybe even a map and a quality manual printed in color.

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Robbery DLC Next Week
12. Re: Battlefield Hardline Robbery DLC Next Week Sep 12, 2015, 19:19 CJ_Parker

Yep. The sad truth is that the piece of shit called SWBF will be a smashing commercial success thanks to the movie tie-in, thanks to console kiddies and thanks to WalMart holiday shopping.
And the gaming media don't have the balls to stick it to EA or go against the mainstream so it will be collecting awards like mad, too.
EA just aren't going to give a fuck about a few thousand disgruntled PC gamers.

News Comments > The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux
15. Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux Sep 12, 2015, 11:13 CJ_Parker

MacLeod wrote on Sep 12, 2015, 08:27:
Not quite sure how you couldn't figure out what to do, or needed to run back and forth or had to use a guide...

I also never understood when people complained about the amount of backtracking... pretty much if you explored everything in the areas as you were going, there was no backtracking in the game at all.

Dude, not everyone is such a smart cookie as yourself . Also, it's because of the no handholding approach that people like me do the backtracking and the running back and forth. Why?

Because it takes at least two or three of the puzzle locations until you have understood the structure of the game, i.e. that every location is 100% standing on its own w/o any need to find/do/fetch something from another location.

Isn't it natural that if people can not progress at one location that they figure they might have missed something at another location? Hindsight is always 20/20 and I definitely had some "doh" moments when I checked a guide but it's really all not that straightforward when you're playing the game for the first time, at least not for people like me who are not hardcore adventure players or have insane amounts of patience like a zen master.

Once you know what to do, you can probably finish this game easy-peasy in just over one hour. It took me five hours so while I might not have been patient like a zen master, I gave it a fair amount of time before hitting the guides (including the achievement where you throw the 'nade and where you definitely have to backtrack quite a bit if you missed it, though I did not miss the 'nade but I missed what to do with it... and please don't tell me now that it was straightforward, too, that you had to throw the 'nade from the dam in that one exact location ).

News Comments > DCS: NEVADA Test and Training Range Pre-purchases
8. Re: DCS: NEVADA Test and Training Range Pre-purchases Sep 11, 2015, 20:37 CJ_Parker

bigspender wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 18:42:
CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 17:10:
Pretty standard pricing if you look at the niche flight sim community. Just about every FSX add-on is $49.99 regardless of quality or content. It's the default price and often coupled with harsh DRM.

With DCS you can at least rest assured that the price will come down relatively quickly and that there will be regular sales (many FSX add-ons never go on sale or only once per year around Thanksgiving).

Generally speaking I wish they would make a lot more progress on DCS. Weren't we supposed to get a full-fledged WW2 theater of operations? The Mustang and BF-109/Fw-190 are nice but they really need to work on giving it all more purpose and a context.
Same for the modern jets, of course. Would be awesome to have e.g. a Persian gulf theater with carrier ops, fixed base ops from bases in Turkey and all that good realistic stuff...
Also, where are the real crowd favs like the entire F-xx series... or at least F-14 all the way to F-20? F-22 and F-35 are probably way too classified to create an accurate DCS-worthy model but everything between the Tomcat and the Tigershark should be doable, no?

Oh well. The waiting game continues...

That's all actually on the near horizon - between now and end of 2016 everything you have mentioned will be out - except the F-22, F-35 of course (classified).

The Eurofighter is also not far off - within the next 6 months I believe.

Hehe... people said the same thing back in 2013 with "just wait until the end of 2014" and so on. The F-18 was supposed to be "close" and "soon" a long time ago but is still nowhere to be seen. I know it's external teams making the planes (and other content) but none of them seem to be very good at actually getting stuff done in a timely fashion.

The trainer jets are nice I guess but c'mon what everyone really wants is the planes jdreyer mentioned like the F-16, F-18, maybe even a non-FC F-15 (as long as the F-22 is still classified), and then F-117 and B2 could be interesting as well but I'm not sure how classified those are.

It's all just such a waste of potential... with just one really interesting dynamic ops theater (e.g. Persian Gulf, Chinese/Korean Sea) and at least one popular jet (with trademark DCS depth) on either side, e.g. F-18 vs. Su-27, this sim would probably be much, much more popular... mo'popularity => mo'money => mo'staff => mo'releases in a timely fashion => profit$$$ and happy devs & players.

News Comments > The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux
5. Re: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux Sep 11, 2015, 20:10 CJ_Parker

MajorD wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 19:14:
Was the original (non Redux) any good?

Nope. The only things the game has going for it is visuals, art direction and partially the story. There really isn't much gameplay in there at all. You are a moving camera and you just go to locations and watch stuff, then interact with stuff in a given order (at a very low level of interaction) and that's it.

The game advertises a "no handholding" approach which is probably meant well but here it's just stupid as with the extremely low level of guidance it is nigh impossible to figure out what is going on and in which order you need to do stuff at several locations in the game.
So you end up with lots of trial&error and running back and forth in vain until you go 'fuck it' and check out a guide on the net.

So unless you are really into the genre and have TONS of patience to attempt very boring non-straightforward dumb stuff to advance the game then I would advise to stay away or wait for the <= $4.99 sale.

News Comments > DCS: NEVADA Test and Training Range Pre-purchases
4. Re: DCS: NEVADA Test and Training Range Pre-purchases Sep 11, 2015, 17:10 CJ_Parker

Pretty standard pricing if you look at the niche flight sim community. Just about every FSX add-on is $49.99 regardless of quality or content. It's the default price and often coupled with harsh DRM.

With DCS you can at least rest assured that the price will come down relatively quickly and that there will be regular sales (many FSX add-ons never go on sale or only once per year around Thanksgiving).

Generally speaking I wish they would make a lot more progress on DCS. Weren't we supposed to get a full-fledged WW2 theater of operations? The Mustang and BF-109/Fw-190 are nice but they really need to work on giving it all more purpose and a context.
Same for the modern jets, of course. Would be awesome to have e.g. a Persian gulf theater with carrier ops, fixed base ops from bases in Turkey and all that good realistic stuff...
Also, where are the real crowd favs like the entire F-xx series... or at least F-14 all the way to F-20? F-22 and F-35 are probably way too classified to create an accurate DCS-worthy model but everything between the Tomcat and the Tigershark should be doable, no?

Oh well. The waiting game continues...

News Comments > The Witcher III Cost $81M
18. Re: The Witcher III Cost $81M Sep 10, 2015, 03:46 CJ_Parker

Kxmode wrote on Sep 10, 2015, 02:28:
InBlack wrote on Sep 10, 2015, 02:14:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 10, 2015, 01:02:
If CDPR was making Star Citizen do you think it would be in a better state or closer to release?

Stop it right there mister. This thread doesn't deserve to get derailed.

That was a serious question. A hypothetical question obviously, but a serious one nonetheless.

That question is too hypothetical. Chris Roberts is a one of a kind clown. No one but CR would have ever been that retarded and blown the scope completely out of proportion and promised.... everything.
CDP are much more grounded in reality and they probably would have stuck to the original mission which is Squadron 42 as a Wing Commander-like sequel and a reasonably sized PU which would be expanded post-release (as opposed to CR expanding it like a tard pre-release).
I mean every dev with half a brain would do that. Start small, iterate, expand, see what's feasible, expand some more etc.
Chris Roberts is absolutely unique in being this humongous pompous megalomaniac uber dipshit!

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Sep 9, 2015, 19:18 CJ_Parker

nin wrote on Sep 9, 2015, 18:47:
Mass Effect Collection on Steam. Save 75%.

And only contains 2 of the 3 games.

^ this + it also contains none of the "real" DLC for ME2. Digital deluxe only has some stupid cosmetic stuff but none of the truly nice stuff like Lair of the Shadow Broker or Kasumi or Arrival which you must all purchase separately with BioWare points if you want to have them. And BioWare points are never discounted, of course, so you're gonna bleed hard for the complete package. Typical EA bait&switch with these "sales" that never include any of the (nice) DLCs.
I have made it a habit (if at all) to buy EA shit from cheap-ass CDKeys.com. If they don't play fair then I won't either.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Mod & DLC Plans
3. Re: Fallout 4 Mod & DLC Plans Sep 9, 2015, 16:50 CJ_Parker

"You'll be able to create your own mods and share them with others. We’re especially excited these same mods will then be coming to Xbox One, and then PlayStation 4."

Huh? How so? Is that a confirmation that the Nexus and the Steam Workshop is out and that FO4 mods will be tied exclusively to some Bethesda service? Or they gonna grab the top 100 mods from the Nexus and the Steam Workshop every month and make them available for consoles (with or without the mod author's consent?)?
Also what does "Xbox One, and then Playstation 4" mean exactly? Has Microsoft made an exclusivity deal for first dibs on mods? LOLZ. Desperate much, Mickeysoft??

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
17. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 8, 2015, 13:41 CJ_Parker

Raff Arundel wrote on Sep 8, 2015, 13:13:
... but generally digital downloads tend to follow Steam pricing and I don't see a lot of price wars in that area.

This is a flawed assumption. The publishers dictate the prices, not Steam. Valve just hosts the games and take their 30% cut. Pricing is up to the publishers.
And the publishers do spread their sales around some, yes. One week a Steam sale, the next week Humble Bundle and the one after that GMG and so on. The more shops, the merrier. It's like a competition for attention.
With just the PSN and the Xbox store on the console side there would not be any of that kind of competition for sales.

Anyway, what I (as a PC master race dude) find scary with that idea by MS is the question how long exactly do they plan to hold on to the piece of shit that is the Xbone???? Another decade or what???

I mean look at some of the big publishers (fiscal reports for 2014/2015)... EA is just barely above 50% for digital sales and Ubi is only at 26% (with substantial growth but still that's barely above a QUARTER of their total sales).

They all have a long way to go before digital squeezes out retail on the consoles so how long exactly does Mickeysoft plan to hang on to their inferior piece of trash hardware which holds gaming in its entirety hostage because of the lowest possible common denominator thing?

Sad panda man... saaaaaad panda

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Adding Another Race
8. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Adding Another Race Sep 7, 2015, 00:25 CJ_Parker

Cpmartins wrote on Sep 6, 2015, 20:40:
No kickstarter, no game.

This is incorrect. The first game was almost finished when they went to KS for "an additional level of polish" as they put it. And for D:OS 2 they made it very clear that the KS is only for "adding extra dialog options and origin stories" (-> KS Update #1).

Both games did not depend on KS to be made. They're just being turned into richer games thanks to the additional funds.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Adding Another Race
3. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Adding Another Race Sep 6, 2015, 17:44 CJ_Parker

bobbyric wrote on Sep 6, 2015, 17:02:
stretch goals are pretty crappy, like it takes them $150,000 to add racial skills lol

Better than stretch goals they are never going to deliver like with the first game (though it remains to be seen ofc whether they will actually deliver these new "crappy" stretch goals).

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider Multiplayer Cut
9. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Multiplayer Cut Sep 6, 2015, 17:41 CJ_Parker

This is like the very first piece of good news from this otherwise horribly mauled game (yes, fuck you again, Microsoft for the backstabbing exclusivity bullshit you assclowns!).  

News Comments > Star Citizen August Update; Audio Video
30. Re: Star Citizen August Update; Audio Video Sep 5, 2015, 19:16 CJ_Parker

DangerDog wrote on Sep 5, 2015, 18:21:
Actions speak louder than words, or pictures and videos.

I don't think they should pat themselves on the back for releasing a couple of buggy "modules" for the game and if what they've shown so far is something they're actually proud of then their 14,000 word essay doesn't mean anything but more disappointment for the future.

I'm not saying they don't have talented people working on the game, doubt anyone could argue that the space ship renderings aren't really cool to look at but it all falls apart when your actual game is a huge clunky mess.

By now you would think they would have at least nailed down the space combat portion but it still seems like a patchwork attempt at trying to create something that either the engine isn't capable of or is imploding onto itself by over complicating the objective which should be first and foremost "fun" to play.

Compare the way they did it with Elite Dangerous development where the first thing they did was nail down the flight mechanics, there's a sense of physical presence to flying a ship in Elite whereas in Star Citizen you feel like you have a space ship hud bolted onto your screen and you're just floating around like you would if you enabled free look in the Crytek engine.

If only they would spend less time with their "second life" portion of this game and work on making the core functions as polished and fun as possible maybe I wouldn't be so skeptical.

^ 100% perfect description of the (sad) state of affairs

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Interim Patch
14. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Interim Patch Sep 4, 2015, 15:02 CJ_Parker

HoSpanky wrote on Sep 4, 2015, 14:39:
Being mad that they're righting the ship is like making fun of the fat guy at the gym.

Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl

News Comments > Star Citizen Social Module Released
196. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 3, 2015, 20:00 CJ_Parker

Kxmode wrote on Sep 3, 2015, 18:49:
When I was a Backer I had no idea (and still don't today) how to "assess the proper spending of the funds raised" based on Bugsmashers, Around the Verse, 10 for the Chairman, Wingman's Hangar and Meet the Devs. The monthly status reports told me nothing about how much money was spent on X and how much on Y. How much this costs and how much that costs. Is he serious?

This is one of those topics where CIG has cheated backers. When the optional subscriptions were originally announced, the idea was to give backers an opportunity to pledge support in smaller more manageable chunks instead of being required to pay for a more expensive game package. The money from the optional subscriptions was supposed to support *development of the game*.

CIG later arbitrarily changed the utilization of subscription funds to producing Wingman's Hangar and other various marketing activities.
Subscription funds are going to a separate pool from game development to fund AtV, RtV, 10ftC and all that stuff nowadays. It is not money contributing to the game.
Do all subscribers know about this? Doubtful. People who went by the original word might still think they are contributing to making the game when in reality they are just funding the production of shows everyone can watch freely.

Since I can already smell the White Knights from several miles away who probably want to spread more lies and tell us that subs were always just meant for the shows, well, here's a preemptive strike to silence them with regard to the original idea of subs...

Over the past month we’ve had a lot of requests from users who simply want to support the game. Some can’t afford to spend $250 on a higher pledge tier right now but would like to help out every month for a small amount. Then there are those that have already backed for a good amount but believe so strongly in the project that they want help make sure we can deliver as much content and functionality as possible by adding a monthly contribution. We’re honored and humbled by this.

We welcome the support as every extra dollar allows us to flesh out the world with more ships, locations and features. If just 10% of the community helps out in this manner, we would be able to afford 6 additional team members. This would mean more artists to build ships and systems, game designers to flesh out missions and an additional person or two to service the community more effectively.

[...]

We’re excited about making these two development subscriptions available immediately, but once again our ambitions are a little bit ahead of our site’s capabilities. As such, we’re asking interested subscribers to purchase the Centurion or Imperator pledge from our main page. This will bill you for the first month. Once the crowd funding phase has ended we will then spend the time needed to properly implement a recurring charge through all our supported payment methods, which we will have up and running in time for your second month’s subscription payment.

We are eternally grateful for all the amazing support you’ve given us so far and we don’t expect any more from any of you. This is completely optional and is all about your desire to see that Star Citizen is the richest game possible from the outset.

... and here is the official subscription FAQ where they reveal that not a single cent of people's money goes to development or making the game richer anymore as originally promised and -yes- this was a stealth change... a subscriber who has not actively searched for this new FAQ and kept up with development would not know about this change...

What does my subscriber money go toward?

Subscription revenues contribute to the Star Citizen project’s development by funding Around the Verse (Thursdays at 9AM PST!) and Jump Point, the monthly digital magazine of Star Citizen. The revenues also fund the development and release of subscriber-exclusive perks and merchandise!

News Comments > Game Reviews
12. Re: Game Reviews Sep 2, 2015, 19:10 CJ_Parker

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 09:49:
I think PCGamer posted a partial review yesterday but it is a big game and most places have not finished it yet to post a review. Maybe they did not get an advanced copy or whatever.
I am looking forward to what TotalBiscuit thinks of it.

Are you saying you seriously believe that "most places" finish a game before posting their reviews?

Really?

Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl Mwahaha Mwahaha Mwahaha Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl

News Comments > MGS5: The Phantom Pain Disc Requires Game Download?
28. Re: MGS5: The Phantom Pain Disc Requires Game Download? Sep 1, 2015, 18:19 CJ_Parker

mayostard wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 13:34:
CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 09:33:
Phantom Pain as soon as it is available for sub $10 on Steam.

Good luck avoiding spoilers while waiting for the price drop in roughly 2 years.

Why would it be difficult to avoid spoilers? I buy the vast majority of my games on sale after a year or more and usually have zero trouble to avoid (serious) spoilers. If by some random chance I actually do stumble upon a story discussion I just switch my eyes to blurry mode real quick and click the thumb 'back' button of my mouse and problem solved. It's very easy to avoid spoilers .

News Comments > Star Citizen Social Module Released
155. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 1, 2015, 18:01 CJ_Parker

Tumbler wrote on Sep 1, 2015, 16:45:
I don't think they're aiming for a "Full PU". I think they're aiming to have something out there like how the social hubs / module is out there now.

Nope. I did not make that up with the "full PU". That is Chris Roberts exact words as of a little over three weeks ago. The FULL PU "working and functioning" towards the end of 2016.
So... 100 star systems, all relevant gameplay systems from bounty-hunting to smuggling and mining and salvaging, everything... all set up ready for prime time, working and functioning at the end of next year according to Mr. Christ Roberts Himself.

BTW, He is also talking about what you seem to have in mind which is already supposed to be happening towards the end of this year (= iterations of the PU as CR is calling it).

It's all in the video starting at around the 08:20 mark.

2786 Comments. 140 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo