Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 1587 (Pro)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 8, 2013, 20:47 CJ_Parker

What a piece of SHIT...  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Project Eternity Art & Screenshot
53. Re: Project Eternity Art & Screenshot Aug 8, 2013, 10:57 CJ_Parker

Necrophob wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 10:24:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 14:42:
KS wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 13:02:

Quite frankly, the isometric aspect, forced by painted backgrounds, was overrated as an important component of this type of game. I'd love to, at a minimum, have a freely-rotating camera, as well as tilt down and up and even a limited zoom range.
Well you know there man, kickstarter is right over there. If you're not a fan of it just make your own game. I'm a huge fan of isometric games. Rotatable 3d is okay, but there are occasionally some very human touches that can be done with the static isometric, instead of copy and paste texture maps for rotatable 3d.

I love isometric games, and I love the fact that it WON'T be rotatable. I've tried to get into NWN 2, and can't get over the horrid controls. The controls should NOT be part of the "experience". I don't think you should remember a game because of its poor controls.

Yeah but that's only because Obsidian is just about the only developer on this planet who could not make a workable control scheme for a 3D top-down/OTS perspective in NWN 2. There are literally thousands of games (like just about every MMO) where that kind of perspective and the controls work like a charm. As usual it was just Obsidian's inability to code and design their way out of a wet paper bag getting in the way.

47. Re: Project Eternity Art & Screenshot Aug 7, 2013, 21:21 CJ_Parker

Blackhawk wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 20:25:
What screenshots are you looking at?

The right ones.

I count nine light sources without even trying, and some can be assumed on the walls pointing away from us.

That's why I said "visible light sources". Though it's hard to identify in the pixel puke what stuff is even supposed to be at all. Oh, and where the feck are the shadows? None of the characters casts a single shadow.

There are no black borders, only black in the negative space.

Semantics and nitpicking. There's a big fat black ugly fucking border right there which shouldn't be there if the developer gave half a shit about improving their engine from a decade ago.

Flat floor tiles? Look at the lighting - the worn floor tiles and bricks are very clearly uneven.

There is a miniscule fake effect of variations in ground height. Look at a game like Company of Heroes 2 which has a similar perspective but offers infinitely more detail per scene and even deformable terrain (another one of those features you'd think that maybe after a decade they would adopt for a RPG like PE so e.g. a meteor shower spell would leave visible terrain deformation etc. or you would creatively add terrain deformation as a gameplay feature like pools of water that could be turned into impenetrable walls or shields of ice... blahblahblah... basically creative shit, you know, so stuff that is not like what Obsidian are doing here with their rehash...).

44. Re: Project Eternity Art & Screenshot Aug 7, 2013, 20:12 CJ_Parker

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 18:43:
And this is, again, exactly what we pledged for. Clearly you are not a huge BG2 fan like I am so I can't explain it to you, but to me, what you see as a bad thing is to me the greatest thing to ever come out of a Kickstarter. That is, BG 2.5 in a non DnD setting with Obsidian's writing behind it.

Scratch the .5. This is BG 2.0 and it is non DnD but let's imitate DnD as close as we can w/o getting sued
I wouldn't complain if I would actually see any progress or advancements here but there just plain isn't.

It has the same...

- pixelated, crappy looking cardboard characters
- bland and generic backgrounds randomly pieced together from set pieces -> I mean look at it. It's sterile like a CPU fab with a very profound lack of detail
- why are there no burn/scratch/use marks on the floor tiles
- where are the torches and light sources (there are only two visible light sources that would realistically never create this level of lighting)
- where is the impression of an uneven surface... the ground is flat and clean as a mirror, it looks like Obsidian doesn't even know how to spell bump and parallax mapping
- what's with the black borders? Is it still too much to ask in 2013 that a game engine scales to full screen correctly?
- what's with the omniscient point of view? Why can you see what's going on behind the door when the door is closed? Wouldn't one possible cool advancement from 1998 to 2013 be to sit down on your creative ass and solve issues like this?

You know, after the great success of the campaign, I was expecting Obsidian to actually improve upon BG/BG2. If they would have barely met their goal I might be more understanding of a cloned version from a decade ago. But with the smashing success of the PE campaign this is simply too little for my taste. They could at least try to fake an interest in improving upon BG/BG2.

Oh, and their campaign updates are a joke, too. Look at Cloud Imperium Games and Star Citizen. That's how it's done and I'm sure it's not just a question of budget but also one of interest in what your community is thinking of you and your work and one of dedication. Obsidian is sorely lacking in all of these regards.

41. Re: Project Eternity Art & Screenshot Aug 7, 2013, 18:17 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 13:34:
That was the point, to create a modern version of that kind of game.

See, that was my point earlier in the thread. If that was indeed the point then Obsidian (as usual) horribly missed the point. Because what's been shown so far is not a modern version of that kind of game but it is that kind of game verbatim. They are not making a modern version. They are making the exact same fucking game as 15 years ago.

It even has the same ugly black borders as can bee seen in the screens. Why not really aim for modern and scale everything better so you always have a more immersing full screen view of the scene? Nope. This looks like the same cardboard pixelated puppet show as 1998's Baldur's Gate. The only thing missing is the interface covering 50% of the screen but I'm sure they are hard at work on that.

Nah. Very disappointing. I, for one, am not going to be funding another KS of Obsidian ever again. PE was their last chance to prove what they can do without the "evil corporate overlord" and the result is... not so much more than with them, obviously, since this is the exact same stuff they have been producing under Interplay's and Atari's lead a decade+ ago.

3. Re: Project Eternity Art & Screenshot Aug 7, 2013, 09:28 CJ_Parker

Lame. I was hoping that they would get at least a little bit more creative than just rebooting BG. Yes, I know that the whole pitch was to bring back the Infinity engine gameplay but I hope I'm not the only one who was expecting them to not just do an exact copy of their previous work.
This doesn't just go for the visuals but also for the mechanics. You'd think they'd be happy to be rid of the D&D corset. Not so. Instead they seem to be constantly looking for creative ways to make an exact copy of the D&D mechanics while tip-toeing around copyright issues.

OK, the problem is my expectations, of course. Obsidian always like to portray themselves as the genius developer who is held back by evil publishers. So freed from these shackles I guess I was expecting them to get creative, advance the isometric RPG genre, move forward, introduce new concepts and features, dump the whole legacy and all that stuff.
None of that to be seen anywhere unfortunately. It's a mere BG rehash. It's the exact same meal from 1998 rehashed. Yes. Lame.

News Comments > Titan "Unlikely" to be Subscription-Based
10. Re: Titan Aug 2, 2013, 16:26 CJ_Parker

Translation: "Ooopsie. We made Titan the biggest frickin' timesink ever thinking that subscription based MMOs would still be as popular as back in the day when we started the Titan design. Please stay tuned as we redesign Titan to play catchup with current microtransaction P2W models. Thanks."  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 1, 2013, 17:42 CJ_Parker

My Xbox One will be so silent not just for ten years but for all eternity that it can't even be heard because it's not even there!

Wicked! Magic! Awwweeeeesooooommmmmeeeee!!!

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Aug 1, 2013, 17:33 CJ_Parker

2015 for Battlefront is typical. So it's once again just another Star Wars game that is going to "coincide" with the release of a movie. They're going to count on people buying it blind because of the hype. Low quality and a rush job are guaranteed.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad
17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 12:55 CJ_Parker

Overrated. The original RoT only got some attention because of its excessive violence and brutality. Other than this shock & awe factor the game didn't really stand out in any way. It was a fairly average/mediocre corridor shooter in terms of game-/gunplay, level design, "story" (LOL), graphics and sound.  

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Preorders
19. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Preorders Jul 29, 2013, 17:39 CJ_Parker

WyldKat wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 16:16:
I think EA still owns rights to Jane's and they're just sitting on it. Cause you know, no money in sims... >.<

Unfortunately they're not just sitting on it but as usual they squatted over it and took a big, fat, smelly dump called Jane's Advanced Strike Fighters.
Can't blame ya if ya never heard of it. It's got Metacritic scores in the 40s across all platforms (PC/Xbox 360/PS3).

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Preorders
8. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Preorders Jul 29, 2013, 10:59 CJ_Parker

Re Cliffs of Dover, I haven't tried this myself but according to SimHQ's review the Team Fusion Mod supposedly not only fixes most of CoD's shortcomings but, well, quotey, quotey...
The new netcode introduced in the Team Fusion mod has proven it can handle stable online battles with up to 124 human players, making it probably the most attractive online flight sim platform today for hard core WWII warbird fans.

High fidelity flight and damage modeling, in beautifully realized 1940s warbirds and stable multiplayer battles on large maps with 120+ human players at a time?

That takes IL2CoD into flight simulator MMO territory and so Iím calling the Team Fusion mod a game changer.

News Comments > WBIE Bringing The Witcher 3 to North America
6. Re: WBIE Bringing The Witcher 3 to North America Jul 26, 2013, 09:18 CJ_Parker

Redmask wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 22:36:
CD Projekt told their last publisher to shove it over DRM and did a DRM removal patch that cost them some money in a lawsuit so I wouldn't worry about it too much guys, those guys have principles.

That's only half true. In reality they couldn't fix their lame-ass launcher and many people couldn't even play the game they spent their hard earned cash on so in a last ditch 'fuck it' effort they scrapped the launcher because fixing it would have taken too long.

CDP deserves praise and respect but the glorification that ignores historical facts is really getting a bit ridiculous.

News Comments > Star Citizen Economy Trailer
47. Re: Star Citizen Economy Trailer Jul 8, 2013, 11:09 CJ_Parker

InBlack wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 08:58:
... what I hate is false advertising. Cutscenes != Gameplay.

Dude, one more time: Those snips and clips are effectively gameplay. The interface may still be missing but this is how the final game is going to look. It's going to look really awesome because they are a) using the CryEngine 3 and b) have hired some top artist talent and c) have bought their own mo-cap studio recently ($10 million stretch goal) so they can animate shit to their heart's content all day long.

The original intent of SC has always been to bring back the AAA space sim. CR never wanted to make a typical low budget indie game. He has always wanted to invest $20+ million with a small part of it coming from the community and the other much larger chunk from investors. That was the plan anyway.
Due to the overwhelming success of the ongoing campaign, SC will most likely end up being the first fully crowd-funded AAA game in history with a budget of over $20 million just from gamers.

As for the market once the game has been released, I'm thinking that SC will still sell pretty well because of its popularity and hype.
This is generally an interesting topic with Kickstarters though. I hope that most KS devs are aware that they might have made the vast amount of sales up front. It might be very unwise to spend all of the funds on the development of the game because they might not have much income from sales post-release.
It will be interesting to watch just how big the niches of some of these projects are and how the ratio is going to turn out of up front sales vs post-release sales.
There might be a rude awakening waiting for some of the studios that are counting on or are used to a certain post-release sales performance that will never happen because the vast majority of the target audience has already paid up front.

News Comments > Star Citizen Economy Trailer
41. Re: Star Citizen Economy Trailer Jul 8, 2013, 08:44 CJ_Parker

InBlack wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 06:02:
Actually what irritated me is that the blurb stated that there was gameplay footage in the video, yet after watching the whole thing I discovered that there was none there. Unless you count that 2d star system demonstration as gameplay footage. I hope the game ends up looking like more than a simple powerpoint presentation.

The space parts and manning of the Hornet fighter were "gameplay" though it probably would have been a little bit more appropriate to call it "in-engine" rather than gameplay.

News Comments > Ubisoft Breached
7. Re: Ubisoft Breached Jul 2, 2013, 23:38 CJ_Parker

Again? *yawn* zzzz....

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Jul 2, 2013, 23:37 CJ_Parker

I don't get it... wasn't BGEE pulled from all sales sites due to legal issues with Atari? What gives? They worked this shit out already?  

News Comments > On the Future of Diablo III
12. Re: On the Future of Diablo III Jul 2, 2013, 12:30 CJ_Parker

Darks wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 12:11:
I bought this game for two reasons; Coop and I love RPG games in general.

Coop OK, fine... but you gotta be fucking kidding if you bought frickin' Diablo 3 out of love for RPG games in general. That is extremely nut-kicking offensive to every single real RPG lover out there, dude. I mean, come on... let's keep it above the waist, mmkay?

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic PTR Patch
7. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PTR Patch Jun 29, 2013, 19:31 CJ_Parker

Julio wrote on Jun 29, 2013, 19:22:
I'm sure it's making more money than it costs to run the servers, but it's probably still close to 100 million down the drain. I'm sure they didn't recoup development and marketing costs.

OK then let's hear your detailed analysis on how this game ended up 100M in the hole. Since you're so sure about it it should be easy enough so go right ahead...

News Comments > Todd Hollenshead Leaves id
18. Re: Todd Hollenshead Leaves id Jun 27, 2013, 02:37 CJ_Parker

MWWWWWAAAAAHHHHAAHAHAHAHAHA... you fucker are fired Sir.... mwwwahahahahahhahahahaha...  

1587 Comments. 80 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo