Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 1587 (Pro)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin in February
5. Re: Divinity: Original Sin in February Sep 27, 2013, 01:33 CJ_Parker

That was pretty clever of them to finance their inevitable delay via Kickstarter and then blame it on the stretch goals LOL ... pure genius  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
5. Re: Sunday Interviews Sep 22, 2013, 17:12 CJ_Parker

PC gaming FTW! - Fuck you 180 and PS4!  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
1. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 21, 2013, 17:30 CJ_Parker

Ballmer is definitely quite the comedian  

News Comments > More on Steam Living Room Plans Next Week
6. Re: Announcing upcoming announcements Sep 20, 2013, 14:38 CJ_Parker

Ryan Lange wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 13:14:
I really wish companies would just stop that ridiculousness...

You can say that again. I want my Steam on the desktop where it belongs, not in my living room. My desktop PC is my holy grail of PC gaming. I do not want a watered down Shiteambox in my living quarters. Them fuckwads at Valve can shove their Shiteambox where the sun don't shine.
Just like Microsoft who keep trying to force us PC gamers to switch to the couch can suck my beautiful PC gamer cock. Highend desktop or GTFO.

Seriously, WTF is up with Valve? Why the fuck are they all of a sudden trying to mimic Microsoft's dick moves of the past now that they have a decent install base? Is it because of Gabe's Microsoft history? Is it all a big motherfucking conspiracy in the end? Is the circle now complete? Is this the big final PC gaming kill move?

Fuck Valve. If they push through with this retarded shit, I'm going to regret every single Steam purchase I have ever made, and trust me, like many of you fellow PC brethren, I've unfortunately spent a lot of cash on digging my own grave.

Oh the irony, thinking where all of our money went... just so Valve can fuck us over epic style...

News Comments > Dishonored: Game of the Year Edition Next Month
7. Re: Dishonored: Game of the Year Edition Next Month Sep 13, 2013, 12:46 CJ_Parker

Good. Now go on sale and we have a deal, Mr. Dishonored GOTY  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Origins PhysX Trailer
7. Re: Batman: Arkham Origins PhysX Trailer Sep 13, 2013, 12:41 CJ_Parker

nVidia rulez

lol@amd

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
17. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 12, 2013, 18:46 CJ_Parker

2nd_floor wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 13:35:
There are many worse nick names out there, this one is pretty enjoyable and clever I think.

This is exactly why MS doesn't like it. Because they're all about serious and stupid these days instead of enjoyable and clever.

Those assholes.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat
52. Re: Very good chance it will surpass $20 Million Sep 7, 2013, 20:11 CJ_Parker

Comet wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 19:52:
Star Citizen is expected in mid-2015 but even if there is a delay and instead of mid 2015 it's Christmas 2015 backers will accept that since it is normal for such an ambitious games to get delayed.

The official line is still "late 2014". I haven't seen an official delay announcement yet. You, me and a lot of other people may be expecting mid 2015 at the earliest (because of the massively ambitious scope) but a lot of people are also still expecting late 2014 because no delay has been announced so far.

And if I were you I wouldn't be so sure about backers accepting delays so easily. You, me and a lot of other backers with a sense of realism? Yes.
But just look at the forums with regard to the hangar release. Everyone knew it was pre-alpha. Everyone knew it was unfinished and buggy. And yet you had a million n00bs cry out in anger and terror over the buggy nature of the hangar release.
There are way more retards out there than you seem to think. You're way too optimistic in that regard.

With that said they are quite clever about these stretch goals. Except for some of the early ones that were part of the original campaign, none of the stretch goals post-$10 million is saying "on release" or generally giving out any date when to expect that feature in the game so CIG can always play the "we never said when" card.

10. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 11:39 CJ_Parker

Axis wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 10:59:
Those kind of realistic goals give people confidence that they won't be wasting their money. Time will tell...

While the individual stretch goal items might be within reason, you have to use an extremely loose definition of "realistic goals" for the entire project.

What they have promised in a nut shell:

- A fully featured single player campaign (Squadron 42) with a branching campaign and 50+ missions. An expansion pack will be released at no cost to original backers within 6 months of the release of squadron 42.
- A persistent universe (MMO) with over 100 star systems (no procedural stuff... it's all "hand-made").
- A mod kit and dedicated servers that let players create their own mods and set up their own servers.
- A very complex in-game economy.
- Gameplay is supposed to cater to all playing styles, i.e. military, pirate, trader, miner... there's always s'posed ta be something to do for everyone.
- Playable and boardable capital ships with multiple stations
- Enhanced boarding options: melee combat, heavy weapons, zero gravity simulation, suit HUD options and EVA combat.
- A very detailed and intricate ship components and upgrade system including the ability to overclock individual parts for maximum performance outside of the specs.
- A universe with a progressing timeline. It's not supposed to be as static as most MMOs but they want to implement a system where time passes and events unfold and where your character ages etc.
- An app for tablet PCs for checking on various game stuff
- Command & Control Center for managing your fleet
- Ability to compete over and manage space stations
- Planet-side FPS gameplay ($20 million is just a matter of when, not if)

And since they have not officially committed to any delays we should be able to expect all of the above by the end of 2014.
So, a full single player game, a full MMO with 100+ star systems to explore, mod tools and dedicated servers all within just a little over a year.

I have one word for that: LOL.

Chris Roberts is a good guy but he's also a crazy mofo with a known track record concerning excess ambition and a complete disregard for realistic schedules. Just read up on the development history of Freelancer.
SC will be awesome and somewhat resembling the stated vision in 36+ months from now but it is high time that CR sobers up and sets people's expectations straight for the beta and the initial release of the game. The expectations are through the roof right now with all of the success of the funding campaign and the features that get piled onto an already scary and humbling pile of work.

2. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 7, 2013, 10:25 CJ_Parker

FUCK YEAH! Right in your fucking stupid little faces you console swine!!!  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 4, 2013, 13:14 CJ_Parker

Black Friday for PC gamers. Thanks for nothing MS you traitorous fucks. I hope that your next Shitbox fails like you fail at just about everything you have touched in the last few years. That Heavy Rain bit speaks volumes about your lack of vision and brains too. Fuck yourselves and your shitty Halo which is all you lamers got. Buttfucks.  

News Comments > On Star Citizen's $17M Haul
49. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 2, 2013, 23:17 CJ_Parker

Dev wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 17:03:
CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 16:29:
Why doesn't everyone play on free private WoW servers?
That would be because last time a bunch of people tried, Blizzard sued them for breaking the ToS that forbids that and got close to a $100 million judgement.

Dude, first WoW was just an example. The point was to make it clear that there are unofficial servers/emulators for just about every MMO out there and that barely anyone plays on such servers.
Secondly, are you telling me that if I enter "wow emu" in Google and I get over 1 million results that there are no more efforts to run unofficial WoW servers? Please.
I'm not going to check out which of these projects are actually "promising" since I don't give a fuck about WoW but it is very clear that there are a great many efforts, possibly even working ones, to emulate the WoW environment for free play. Blizzard can go fuck themselves and their lawyers if the guys running an emu have a clue how to "hide" properly.

47. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 2, 2013, 16:29 CJ_Parker

Cutter wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 14:45:
And from that Joystick Interview later on....

Star Citizen's original vision has expanded as its community has grown, with stretch goals adding to the workload and the overall vision. "The full game that I want to build that was in my head was always like $20 million ... or 21 or 22. It's in that range," Roberts says. "That's kind of what we're shooting for, right now."

So now it's more like $22 million...for the moment....

And? If required he'll shake $2 million out of investors. If not (more likely given the perpetual influx of money) the additional $2 million will come from the community.
If the funding continues like this then the game will be easily beyond $22 million in late 2014.
The budget is naturally very dynamic anyway. There's squadron 42, there's the persistent universe and there is a ton of stuff in the pipeline already for post-launch updates.
Star Citizen will also have a smooth launch, rather than a hard launch. Roberts is planning on moving from beta (or one certain pre-final beta build) to live without a wipe so there is no real set in stone release date. It is all pretty fluid and organic. You can't really make a cut and nail the budget as being $21,753,951.

Uh huh, yeah, not being evasive at all. Care to show us anywhere it's printed in black and white what the specifics are for the SP game, private MP servers - if any, and the MMO portion of the game.

You need to watch the weekly live cast (Wingman's Hangar) more often and read the "Ask A Dev" section at the official forums more often, too. Stuff is getting revealed all of the time. Many details are still in limbo, of course, and subject to change but as far as the single player is concerned, for example, the Lead Designer Rob Irving put it in very simple terms when he said that anyone who has played a CR game before should know what to expect. He added that they don't have any plans to reinvent the wheel.
So for squadron 42 -> Wing Commander. It will be a military campaign space soap opera where you begin as a fledgling UEE recruit earning your first wings. The campaign will be a branching one. In the end you will exit the military as a "Citizen" and you can take that character to the persistent universe to keep playing.

I mean if selling ships in the $100s and $1000s is just something anyone can do at any time for free in an SP game or private MP game then what's the incentive for people to buy in the MMO portion of the game? The only reason I can possibly think of is that they have a distinct advantage.

Why doesn't everyone play on free private WoW servers? Right. People prefer to play on official servers where you get guaranteed regular content updates, where the real competitive play takes place, where (ideally) you have to deal with less lag, less connection issues, less bugs, hopefully effective exploit and cheat prevention, stricter moderation, timely customer support and many other benefits that come from a commercial operation.
What you can do with the private PU server/client is set up your Freelancer-/Privateer-style sandbox and of course you could mod the thing so you'd have the best ships from the start etc. but where is the fun in that?

There certainly is a theoretical risk for CIG though if a really well organized group of people gets together and uses the private PU plus the mod tools to create something totally awesome like a X-Wing vs. TIE remake or a Star Wars PU .
But people will still have to buy the game to be able to play a modded version so CIG still wins.

Seems like the people who'll be able to capture and control star bases/sectors will need the best equipment. It'll take forever to grind it, so you'll have to buy it.

That remains to be seen. CR has stated repeatedly that he loathes grindy MMO gameplay so it's unlikely that you will have to grind in the traditional MMO sense in SC. It may be difficult and challenging to come by certain stuff though like e.g. maybe a certain type of weapon requires you to operate deep behind enemy lines in Vanduul (alien race) territory or it's hidden away on an asteroid base run by pirates. Stuff like that.

So, show us on the RSI website where all this is broken down into specifics about what's what. I've gone through their entire About the Game and all I see is a lot of marketing fluff and nothing concrete except that the game is being setup to ensure people will keep spending real money.

Yep. The website is in dire need of updates. As I stated above the best way to keep up with SC right now is to watch the weekly Wingman's Hangar and read the Ask A Dev section at the forums. Every dev is "forced" by CR to dedicate one hour per week to answering fan questions so there's lots of info in there on coding, art, design... everything.

Anyone who can't just come out and say things directly is someone not to be trusted. In other words, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. And a bunch of people are going to learn this the hard way. Won't be surprised in the least if we eventually see several class-action suits surrounding this game.

CR is a very honest and direct person. With that said he certainly seems to have a habit of being way too ambitious for his own good (Freelancer debacle anyone?).
I don't see any way how they are going to release squadron 42, the MMO, the mod tools and the private server with only half of the promised features in late 2014 or even in the first half of 2015. My guess is that they might make a Q1/2015 target for S42 only. Then the PU might follow a year later with initially not nearly the 100 star systems that have been promised and then it will take them months and years to actually add all of the features that have been talked about.
CR is keeping it intentionally vague what will be in the initial release because I think he very well knows that there is no chance they'll have all of it ready by late 2014.

With the high and growing budget and the extremely high expectations I would personally advise CR to sober up, step on his soapbox and reveal a somewhat realistic schedule for the initial release and subsequent updates and which features will be in at launch and what will come later. Set people's expectations straight. It's going to be a massacre if only a stripped down S42 beta is ready for prime time in late 2014.
The hangar is already a minor massacre because most people are too retarded to understand the concept of a pre-alpha. CR needs to proactively go out there and tell it like it is.

News Comments > Star Citizen Credit Sales
65. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Sep 1, 2013, 19:16 CJ_Parker

datachasm wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 11:04:
whoever said Roberts had no MMO experience obviously did not play Freelancer, which if i remember correct was intended to be exactly what he is promising with SC.

You obviously have some serious memory issues. Short term and long term memory issues. First, it was me who said that Roberts has no prior MMO experience and that's also 100% true since he has not worked on a MMO before. Freelancer was a sandbox game with multiplayer. Not a MMO, not even by a long shot. Big difference.

that was a great game, and you could tell certain areas were incomplete: like the ship sensors which were functioning but really didnt do anything (like target ship systems, etc). i think the game was rushed in the end and Roberts left the project.

Yep. Totally "rushed" with a total of over six years of development under its belt and almost two years of delays beyond its initial release target because, as usual for CR back in the day (and seemingly still today looking at SC's insane features list and the 2014 release date which is LOL-worthy at best), it was way too ambitious.

Besides he left when he sold out to Microsoft and only took the role of an outside consultant. That was in late 2000, early 2001. Freelancer was released in 2003. So Chris Roberts didn't even do any day to day work on the project for the last two years leading up to the release of the game.
So, hypothetically, even if Freelancer would have been a MMO you would still be hard pressed to say that CR has any MMO experience since he left long before the game's completion and has no experience handling a live MMO game (which is an entirely different beast than a multiplayer sandbox game).

23. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 1, 2013, 18:22 CJ_Parker

I don't think that there is any reason to be worried about people buying ships. CR once said that grinding out the credits to be able to afford a Constellation should take about 60 hours. As we know, developers are notoriously bad at these estimates and once people figure out how to make cash real fast, I wouldn't be surprised if it will really take only 20 or 30 hours max. So anyone buying a Constellation is taking a shortcut but it's not like they are leaving others choking on their dust trail.

As for capital ships, the Corvette is still pretty limited. They sold a couple hundred initially and then another 200 during the last 24h live stream in June. More sales are not planned currently.
I don't think there is anything to worry about here either. The universe is HUGE (100+ star systems!) and the game will be instanced so you should be able to fly for hours and days without even encountering a single player-run Corvette.
Also, the Corvette like all multiplayer ships will only be at the top of its game with a crew of real players. Or this would be the first game in which the AI doesn't suck...
So this only caters to a fraction of the player base anyway (clans/guilds/squadrons) who will have enough people online at all times who will be able and willing to sit in the co-pilot or in a gunner's seat for hours on end.

As far as I can tell there are only two major potential bombs in this game so far.
One being the credit shop where you can buy in-game credits for real money. They are planning on having a monthly cap for credit buyers but with alt accounts and the infamous Asian secondary market there is plenty reason for concern that any such limit will only be a theoretical one. A huge influx of bought credits, i.e. credits that have not been generated by regular gameplay but that are more or less spawned from thin air, will destabilize the in-game economy big time and cause hyperinflation. Huge mistake.
Have a shop all you want and sell us cosmetic stuff etc. (-> Guild Wars 2) but selling actual game credits is a very bad idea.
The other big mistake is having the possibility of non-consensual PvP in combination with the game's announced permadeath system. This will promote griefing and generally cause lots of unnecessary hostility among the player base. If the shit hits the fan it could ruin the game when it all drowns in a sea of poo-flinging, griefing, negativity, cheats and exploits.

5. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 1, 2013, 12:15 CJ_Parker

El Pit wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 11:50:
nin wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 11:48:
Is this like 3 updates in 3 days? Starting to feel a bit of fatigue.

Yeah, it's like they do a public overkill to get a lot of money quickly.

Bullshit. Contrary to other Kickstarters they actually have something to show and are releasing content in the very early stages of development. Contrary to others they're not like "LOL thx for teh monies" and then ran off to hide in their ivory tower posting pretentious crap (yep I'm looking at you Project Eternity and OE) without involving the community one bit. Many other projects are just like publisher-run projects, just with funding from the community.

Cloud Imperium OTOH is constantly seeking feedback and there is a lot of interaction with the community through their forums (Ask a Dev section.... check it out) and the weekly YouTube show (Wingman's Hangar) and the 24h live streams, fan events etc. etc. etc.

Thanks to the many updates there is a real sense of progression, interaction and generally just "being a part of it" with this project. Every other KS completely pales in comparison. How many substantial updates have you seen on Torment, PE, DOS, Elite Dangerous or SotA? Right. All they had to show so far is "This week we'd like to introduce you to our janitor" sort of crap just to have any updates at all.

Cloud Imperium has just released a playable module of the final game. After only ~7 months into development. To collect feedback from the fans and as a sign of their gratitude and their willingness to involve people. That's awesome and they have every right in the world to share with the world just how awesome this is and how awesome they are.
Of course this doesn't sit well with the usual Blue's News negativity crowd who are only interested in "shutting down" and "axed" kind of news. Oh well. Your loss...

4. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 1, 2013, 11:58 CJ_Parker

El Pit wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 11:44:
We still have a ways to go before we have achieved the goal of being completely community funded

How much do they need? $50,000,000? Does anybody know?

Chris Roberts said US$ 20 million and then it's considered as entirely crowdfunded, making it the first fully crwodfunded AAA game in history.
Originally he wanted to raise as much as possible on Kickstarter (the original KS funding goal was a modest $500K) and their own site and the rest was supposed to come from investors (or Chris Roberts' private treasure stash or both...).
At US$ 20 million and above there will be no need for any outside investors so that CIG/CR (and the community at large) will be in full control of the project.

23. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Aug 31, 2013, 20:36 CJ_Parker

Julio wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 19:52:
Cutter wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 14:53:
Funny, that $275 dollar Rear Admiral package sure looks like P2W to me.

Wasn't there some sort of $1000+ ship as well a while back? Let's not pretend this isn't P2W.

Yes, there was. The Idris Corvette. The crazy thing is it sold out real fast during the original campaign back in Oct/Nov 2012.

The even crazier (= the absolutely insane) part is that CIG reopened the originally "limited" Idris sales (under the pretense of a growing and much larger player base so the limit could be loosened up) for the 24h live stream in June 2013.

Much to the dismay of European pledgers who were already in bed at that time, the 200 additional "limited" Idris Corvettes that were put up for sale at $1250 a pop SOLD OUT WITHIN TEN MINUTES!
God only knows how many they could have sold if they would not have had a limit. From comments on the forums it seems like they could have easily done a few hundred more 'vettes. At $1250/pop. In-fucking-sane.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hangar Module Released
68. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 31, 2013, 19:05 CJ_Parker

Tom wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 22:30:
Hey now. Is there really a sound basis for such pessimism?

Yes.

The Hangar module is hardly representative of all they've accomplished so far. They've already shown videos of ships flying in space firing pretty lazers.
Thrusters rotating and firing in sophisticated ways according to a simulation.

A demo for mere visualization purposes != actual gameplay. Anyone with decent skills in Adobe Flash can create a video like that in a matter of days.
Besides the demo was created by Chris Roberts and a couple other guys before the campaign started in 2012. The team making the game was assembled starting in January 2013. Barely anyone on the current team has (had) any experience with the CryEngine and if you would have watched the roundtable videos from the last 24h live stream you would have seen how just about every department from coding to art admitted that the CryEngine is an extremely complex beast with a very steep learning curve. On the plus side it is also a very powerful tool once you know how but right now they are still in the figure-shit-out stages.

And keep in mind, before there can be visible progress, there's a great deal of work to be done in building infrastructure. On many levels. This is the nature of production. Sure, it could take forever, but I think it's way too early to give up hope of them coming anywhere near hitting the timeframes they've been aiming for.

We know from comments that they had to go into crunch mode for a couple of weeks just to get the hangar "done" (a term we have to use very loosely for the state it is in). I really don't see how they are going to have a working dogfighting alpha in just four months from now unless it's going to be super-rudimentary with just a black vacuum for space and then mono colored lasers only (no projectile weapons), no chat and lacking lots of other game and multiplayer features.
It took them over six months just for the hangar. Sure, might be due to the above mentioned CryEngine 3 learning curve and maybe stuff is going to accelerate like crazy now that they have learned the ropes but I have serious doubts that they are going to have a real working multiplayer dogfighting module finished by the end of the year. If they release anything in that direction this year it will probably be very barebone.

And it is more than anyone's guess when they will actually have "finished" the game as defined by Chris Roberts, the design team and including all of the campaign's stretch goals.
Over 100 star systems, a complex economy, lots of meaningful content (not just quest automats), an intricate bounty system, a universe with a working timeline and historical record keeping, a fair and balanced PvP system including the boarding feature, EVA, repair systems, clan/squadron features, a resource and mining system, pirating/salvaging, ship upgrades galore, overclockability of ship components, player-run capital ships and all of the stuff that has been promised to be in the game one day.
Going by the rate and the state at which the hangar was released we are into the 2020s before the above will materialize in a fun and working fashion. And I wish I was kidding.

If there's one thing to fear though, it's the lack of a publisher to crack the whip and force things to happen in a certain amount of time.
As a creator, the lack of constraints seems like the best gift you could ever have. But in truth it will destroy you. Can the backer community serve as an acceptable substitute for a publisher to drive progress in a reasonable amount of time? That's a really big question in this great experiment.

Rabid fanbois >>> publisher

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2013, 19:21.

18. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Aug 31, 2013, 18:18 CJ_Parker

They are almost guaranteed to nail the single player (squadron 42). Chris Roberts and quite a few of the current team have been there and done that. They will be bringing back the space soap opera in style. No doubt about it.

The doubts begin as soon as the actual Star Citizen multiplayer persistent universe comes into play. Chris Roberts has zero MMO experience and except for a handful of specialists on the team who do have prior experience (though some of it dating back as far as UO) the team has very little experience as well. And they have never worked together as a team on a project of this scope. That leaves plenty of reason for concern even if the rabid fanboys for whom CR is an infallible God want us to believe otherwise.

This shop opening is a very good display of just how inexperienced CR & co are in the online games space. He/they are very obviously lacking a "feel" for the market.
Oh well. It's only going to bite them very gently in the ass at this point because of the ridiculous development budget.
In fact they can screw around with ideas like this to their heart's content. At this stage they have nothing to lose but their reputation.
No one can force them to invest the entire budget and even if you would hold them accountable there are many creative ways to hide away enough of the budget behind smoke & mirrors that CR could still stow away enough cash for an insta-retirement backup plan.

1587 Comments. 80 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo