Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 2253 (Senior)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - PC Grand Theft Auto V
19. removed Apr 14, 2015, 11:52 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 14, 2015, 11:57.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Will Be Ghostable; Free E-Book
7. removed Apr 13, 2015, 20:51 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 14, 2015, 08:10.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule
129. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 13, 2015, 19:46 CJ_Parker

Quinn wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 19:43:
PS: CJ_Parker much be having a blast right now, lol

Yep. I'm edging, dude... and about to have an epic orgasm before too long!

See, I knew all that popcorn wouldn't be a waste.... *munch* *munch*

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Will Be Ghostable; Free E-Book
4. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Will Be Ghostable; Free E-Book Apr 13, 2015, 19:40 CJ_Parker

The mechanics for a no-kills playthrough of DXHR sucked ass. When I shot some dudes with tranquilizer darts from up above they died instead of going unconscious as they should have. Really lame. My guess is the game for some reason attributed falling damage equaling the height I was above the enemies to the impact of the tranq dart and figured it should be a lethal hit. Retarded.
Hope they'll do a much better job with this sequel. Also would be great if a ghost/stealth or non-lethal playthrough would not require tracking back through the entire level after completion to pick up the goodies and XP.

43. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 13, 2015, 12:35 CJ_Parker

NKD wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 12:19:
Would be nice if Rockstar had given out some review code to.. uh.. someone, somewhere, who could give us a port report. If this was any other company people would be crucifying them for not handing out review code prior to release.

Nah it's much funnier if this kind of shit hits the fan out of the blue. I hope I didn't buy all that popcorn for nuthin'...

News Comments > Steam Top 10
41. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 13, 2015, 11:57 CJ_Parker

Ozmodan wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 08:54:
I look at this list and see so many crap games. What is wrong with the gaming public???

+1 ... though as I said Elite Dangerous making the list partially restored my faith in that public you speak of

32. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 13, 2015, 11:55 CJ_Parker

OMG what a fucking circus over a roadkill and murder simulator!  

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 12, 2015, 16:00 CJ_Parker

In the words of the highly acclaimed game expert C.J. Parker
"Who gives... a fuck... about that console garbage"

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 12, 2015, 15:22 CJ_Parker

Wow. So good to see Elite Dangerous on there. My faith in mankind has been partly restored .  

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
30. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Apr 12, 2015, 14:54 CJ_Parker

I agree. Descent had a certain wow factor because real 3D gaming in general was still rather new back then. It was pretty amazing to fly through those tunnels at high speed. Kind of like re-imagining the Death Star trench run. But it got old real fast, too, since there just wasn't much to do. No meat.
And not sure about the level design. You don't even have to be orientation-impaired to have a hard time in Descent. The tunnel mazes were very disorientating. There were no visual cues to go by either since everything looked the same. It really sucked when you needed one specific item to advance the game and ended up scouring the always samey looking tunnels for hours. Yawn.

28. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Apr 12, 2015, 13:16 CJ_Parker

Indeed. The original budget for ED was to be 8 million but according to Braben they ended up well beyond that mark (Eurogamer interview). So, yes, ED is another example where KS did by far not cover full development and would not even have covered it, even if they had stuck to the initial 8m budget since ED only raised just short of 1.6m on KS.  

25. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Apr 12, 2015, 04:26 CJ_Parker

ViRGE wrote on Apr 11, 2015, 20:13:
Have any of the major game Kickstarters actually gone that route? SC, PoE, DFA, etc all were entirely self-funded. I cannot immediately think of a game where it did a successful Kickstarter and then was backed by a publisher or investors.

As I said, it's more like the other way around. I would not be so sure if Obsidian was able to cover the full budget of PoE with all the delays or if they had to cough up some cash from their own pockets (or Paradox preorders etc.). Given their team size and expected expenses over a course of 30 months of development, I'm 99%+ sure that the KS funds did not suffice. Maybe we'll find out from a post mortem piece one of these days.
Also, Divinity Original Sin: The Kickstarter covered only a fraction of the game's total cost. Granted, the game was in a very advanced state when they launched the KS but Swen Vincke mentioned on his blog that they had some major debt when the game shipped and used the later profits to pay back their debts.
Or Wasteland 2. The only reason WL2 became the game it is today is because inXile was able to double the KS budget via Early Access sales of WL2 and from their back catalogue sales (Bard's Tale mobile port etc.).
Finally, DFA was specifically broken up into acts/episodes because they would have run out of the KS funds if they had not released the first half of the game on Early Access.

So none of those games (verdict on PoE pending) would have made it, or at least nowhere near the quality they were released, if not for additional funding. I'm sure the Winger is fully aware that 600K is nowhere near enough to make the game. That's why they will have it on Early Access and continue ship sales via their website. Until then they have 600K they can show their bank and get a generous overdraft agreement or negotiate a credit.
By the way, when I talk about "investors" then that always includes the bank, friends & family, whatever. It does not have to be a publisher or VC.

Just to be pedantic, none of those are 6DoF games. Those are all flight sims, which means you're always going forwards. A 6DoF game means you have full movement along the 3 axes, along with rotation along all of them as well. Which is why Descent was such a unqiue game

Well, I did have Longbow in there and you could fly backwards with the Apache in that one at least so you only receive partial pedantic win points Wink .
Anyway, I wouldn't really call Descent all that unique because of the flight model (I'm pretty sure there were more space sims at the time with ships with backwards thrusters and heli sims all qualify for 6DoF). To me, Descent was unique because of the environment and the gameplay.

15. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Apr 11, 2015, 18:55 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on Apr 11, 2015, 17:24:
This KS has been pretty dubious from the start. When they first launched, it was going to be an MP-only game. I believe they said that they could only add SP as a stretch goal or something. Now SP is included by default with no change to the required funding? $600k is nothing. It's nowhere near enough to develop a 3D game with both SP and MP.

First, I'm sure you are aware that the vast majority, if not all except Star Citizen, Kickstarters never raise the sum that is required for full funding. They raise a fraction and then make a case with investors that it is worth funding the project.
That said, as far as I observed the campaign, you're not quite right about the SP/MP thing. IIRC the plan has always been to have a very short mini-campaign in single player, kind of like an extended tutorial and then, yes, a strong focus on competitive MP.
They did change their tune considerably when the comments started piling up from people saying they would have pledged if it had a real SP campaign.
It remains to be seen how far beyond the original introductory mini-campaign they're going to be able to go but it's not true that SP was not planned at all.

Toss in the fact that none of the developers have ever worked on a Descent game (or any other 6DoF shooter) and this is probably going to be a big disappointment, if it ever even gets finished.

Well, WingMan and Rob Irving have worked at Origin/Microsoft and been involved on a number of 6DoF games like the Wing Commanders, Strike Commander, Pacific Strike, Jane's AH-64D Longbow, Starlancer and so on.
Besides, 99.9% of active game devs out there have probably not worked on a 6DoF game at all or for ages simply because no one has been making them anymore. I wouldn't write off their effort just based on that.
But there is almost certainly only a small subsample of gamers interested in this kind of game. I'm definitely a space/flying sim fan but the thought of frantically flying through very disorientating tunnel mazes at high speed in open PvP doesn't appeal to me, like, at all.
I only pledged my $30 for the Winger, Rob and Morlan and their grand entertainment -which was wrongfully cancelled for whatever strange and shitty reasons- during the SC days and wish them the best of luck.

3. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Apr 11, 2015, 13:13 CJ_Parker

Definitely seems like they had "friends & family" (+ Chris) help them over the finishing line. With a close call like this I would tread on very carefully from here on out if I were them. If you subtract the Star Citizen people who pledged only for WingMan, Rob and the Viewmaster (Mike Morlan), then there is mighty little a.k.a minuscule interest in this game concept.
They better have a very solid plan B if it is confirmed during further development that Descent is going to leave the multiplayer gaming online community cold.
If I were in their shoes, I would not have helped the game over the finishing line. There is a point where you just have to acknowledge "OK. Nice try. Let's try again with something different.".

As it stands, congrats and good luck to the Winger. You're gonna need it.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
22. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Apr 10, 2015, 16:28 CJ_Parker

w00t ... a huge final push so right now, at three hours to go, they are at $595K with only $5K to go. Looks like they will make it after all.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided to be Steamy
9. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided to be Steamy Apr 10, 2015, 12:43 CJ_Parker

Frags4Fun wrote on Apr 10, 2015, 12:41:
Any word on consoles?

Yes. They suck.

News Comments > More on Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
6. Re: More on Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Apr 10, 2015, 12:24 CJ_Parker

NKD wrote on Apr 10, 2015, 10:03:
But seriously "deepest and most ambitious Call of Duty ever" isn't saying much.

They are using that same line with minor variations for every annual release so it's not just not saying much but it's outright useless, pointless and sounding like the most broken record on replay ever.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Beta Patches
6. Re: Pillars of Eternity Beta Patches Apr 10, 2015, 12:21 CJ_Parker

Axis wrote on Apr 10, 2015, 11:47:
I'm gonna wait for a few months before I play through, game needs to mature in many ways and I want to *really* enjoy it.

^ this ... QFT & QFE

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Speedrun ~25 Hours
9. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Speedrun ~25 Hours Apr 10, 2015, 12:17 CJ_Parker

25 hours is still amazingly long for a real speedrun. Most of the "huge" Elder Scrolls games can be finished in three to five hours (Morrowind/Oblivion*) or 40 minutes (Skyrim) so 25 hours is an epic "speedrun" by comparison.

*Oblivion can actually be done in just over 10 minutes if you use a falling through the world bug but the more realistic speedruns seem to be in the five hours range.

News Comments > Larian Plans Annual Releases
2. Re: Larian Plans Annual Releases Apr 9, 2015, 19:26 CJ_Parker

Same here, man. DKS was fookin' awesome. If they would alternate releases between a DKS-like game and a DOS-like game and then a DC-like game every year then that'd be pretty sweet (though I wouldn't personally be that interested in a DC-like game but 2/3 good years is still more than good enough).  

2253 Comments. 113 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo