Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 2770 (Senior)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Konami Denies Kojima Exit
12. Re: Konami Denies Kojima Exit Oct 20, 2015, 16:22 CJ_Parker

What a retarded personal cult... just fire that clown already and be done with it, kthx!

Jeeeeeezzzzzz...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Status Update
71. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 16:05 CJ_Parker

WaltC wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 15:35:
yuastnav wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 12:43:
... I've dreamt of what Chris is trying to do since I was a kid but while growing up I realised that this is just not possible, at least not now.

I've dreamed for 25 years of an RPG with incredible depth and attention to detail, complete realism, and a fantastic and fascinating storyline, done with movie-like production values in its graphics & sound presentation--and was about to give it up as a forlorn hope---and then came Witcher 3. CDPR has just raised the RPG bar--the game-development bar--by a huge amount.

Apples vs. oranges, dude. The Witcher 3 is a single player game and I'm glad you liked it but... "complete realism"? Really?

To stay with an apple vs. apple comparison: I don't think anyone here is doubting that CIG can pull off offline single player Squadron 42. It will require a beefy computer to run (fine with me) but can it be done? Sure.

The real issue, where the doubts are more than warranted, is the persistent universe. We do not have the physical network capacities anywhere on this planet to ever have 50 to 100 players in an instance in and outside of space ships that function fully according to CIG's specs as defined per the original pitch and the stretch goal spreadsheet.
That's just not possible. It would probably not even be possible in a LAN environment because they need to stream enormous amounts of data back and forth between the instance servers, the backbone/database and the clients all of the time.

It does not mean that the Star Citizen PU will never happen in some shape or form. What most of us here mean is it will never happen according to the full specs (with every single stretch goal implemented and as fleshed out as described in many of CR's marketing speeches).

There will be cuts, there will be compromises, there will be disappointments. It is inevitable. I know that dreaming is nice but I'm a realist and I believe it's disingenuous of CIG to keep the impossible dream alive when they fully well know that it's not gonna happen in all its advertised glory.

That's what my criticism is mostly directed at. I hate being treated like a little kid on xmas eve when I'm old enough to know that Santa is my neighbor's dad in a costume. Chris Roberts is an adult. I'm an adult. Let's treat each other as such and let's be honest about the pitch, the promises and what can really reasonably be delivered.

65. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 15:23 CJ_Parker

Kxmode wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 15:20:
nin wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 13:57:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 13:53:
Hello everyone. Can we be space friends?

Should we talk about Space Pets?

Yes, Sir. I present to you the Star Citizen - $64 million stretch goal:

Pets – We have repair bots, we have fish… but we haven’t implemented a traditional pet system in Star Citizen yet. At $64 million, that changes. From Jones the Cat in Alien to the Battlestar Galactica’s Daggit, pets have a place onboard starships… and we want to give you that option in Star Citizen. Expect traditional terrestrial options, plus anything exotic we can dream up in the Star Citizen universe! (Those Torshu Grey crabs that keep escaping are just the start.) This stretch goal is in honor of Paddington, Strike Dog of the UEES Paul Steed. In one of our first videos Paddington helped us get to $4 million back in the initial campaign, and sadly passed away recently.

55. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 14:12 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 13:48:
You weren't impressed by Alpha 2.0? I thought that was a pretty excellent demo of how all the disparate systems will work together, rough patches aside.

I will be mildly impressed as soon as I can play it with dozens (let's say at least 50) of players in the same instance from my computer at home, connected to EU Star Citizen servers (regional servers for alpha were a stretch goal so it's not unrealistic to expect EU AC 2.0 servers) that provide a mostly lag-free experience without any rubberbanding etc.

I will be seriously impressed if I can play this and the whole PU just "happens" around me at the same time in real-time.
But not before that. Demos and trailers don't cut it. Their demos were made under "lab conditions".
They need to show it off in the wild. You know, the whole live specimen in its natural habitat... with laggy connections, players dropping in and out, players with very different hardware specs and a wide range of connection speeds/latencies and all that jazz.

44. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 13:18 CJ_Parker

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 12:56:
Every time they just shift the focus - the S42 reveal was good so suddenly it's 'they must have spent $37m on the cast'. It's comical.

As Taylor Swift sang: haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate.

Blahblah parroting the company line as always and taking everything at face value instead of looking at what is actually happening and drawing conclusion on your own.

Besides, I for one am not shifting focus. I've already said that the Squadron 42 reveal sucked major ass. Even Uwe Boll would be embarrassed if he showed off a cheesy pretentious trailer speech like that. That crap was not even B-movie worthy.
No, Sir. They showed zero Squadron 42 gameplay. Z.E.R.O. Nada. Zilch. Niente. Fuck all.
Just a cheesy as fuck mo-capped Gary Oldman who can't even pronounce the name of his character -Admiral Bishop- straight at his age. Fuck their lame-ass Squadron 42 reveal. It couldn't have been more disappointing than that.

41. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 12:53 CJ_Parker

Razumen wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 12:31:
yuastnav wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 12:22:
Razumen wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 11:36:
yuastnav wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 11:26:
Razumen wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 10:27:
Blue wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 10:15:
Razumen wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 10:12:
Honestly, anyone that tries to argue that this game is a fraud is just a blatant troll at this point.

So you are blatantly trolling for blatant trolls?

No, if I was trolling I'd be making baseless statements only to get a rise out of people. Since I'm actually making an informed opinion about it, at most you can call it a pre-emptive defense against the usual cynicism found here.

I'm just saying that it is technically and physically impossible to do what they want to do. No amount of tweaking and fixing can simulate a world with such a scope in real-time. You could have separate spaces where you do FPS combat and space combat but then you would also need to synchronise these two spaces which would also require a lot of resources.
As far as I know no one has ever mentioned how they are going to do that. Of course that is something that is behind the scenes and doesn't get out to the public but it's difficult to imagine nonetheless that it's going to work.

That's why this whole thing is a bag of dreams and nothing more.

Lol, so we should believe you just because you can't understand how they're doing it, despite the fact they've already demonstrated it LIVE to an actual audience, and despite the fact they have a lot of people who are probably more knowledgeable than anyone here working on it?

Wow, the level of denial here is mind blowing.

I know a bit about complex simulations and I keep up to date concerning modern PC games and what they are able to accomplish with a certain performance at current systems.
Do you not comprehend that there comes a point at which it is just not physically possible to do something? CIG are neither scientists nor researches and they use the methods available to everyone else. They use certain models and algorithms to simulate the game and with how our current CPUs work it's impossible to simulate it to the extent and detail they want it to. I didn't know that they already lowered their expectations. If they do that enough they might be able to do it, with proper optimisations. But not to the extent they originally intended.

Despite the fact that you're ignoring that Star citizen isn't even designed for modern systems, I think you're also greatly exaggerating the difficulty of the problem. There are multiple ways to integrate a simulation involving multiple ship and first person physics, one of which is separate physics instances for the insides of ships and stations, which is what I believe what they're already doing, and what some similar games already do.

You still have to make all those instances exchange information among each other and then share it all with the global backbone and the involved clients in real time.

For example the recent pretty 'splosion video:

- The Constellation needs to visibly blow up for everyone in that instance
- The crew must be dealt with. They either blow up with the ship or the game needs to spawn them in escape pods outside the ship if they managed to reach the pods in time. This, of course, needs to be processed inside the ship instance and shared in real-time with the space instance.
- The debris must be calculated realistically in real-time because it needs to become available for rescue and salvage ships.
- Any ships that are close enough to the 'splosion or crossing the path of the debris must take realistic damage depending on vicinity, size of the piece of debris, velocity, whatever...
- Escape pods must remain in the instance for some time to allow for pick-up by SAR craft

^ You know this is some very complex stuff to pull off in multiplayer. No problem in single player Squadron 42 but good luck with 100 ships/clients in an instance and a global backbone that all need to be on the "same page" as far as this one single minor event is concerned.
And we haven't even started yet thinking about insurance, respawns, the ship's cargo, did the player or a crew member have a bounty on their head, were they smuggling goods, was someone hidden inside a cargo crate as a blind passenger etc. etc. etc. which would all add to the heaps of data that need to be pushed around from one simple ship blowing up... of course all of that on top of the heaps of data that will already be pushed around by all of the other gameplay systems.
It just can not be done. Not at the advertised level of fidelity in conjunction with any significant number of ships/clients per level. Something is going to have to fly out the window and since a multiplayer game without multiple players wouldn't be much fun it will be the "fidelity".

30. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 12:27 CJ_Parker

Razumen wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 12:06:
So because they're still working on the game they obviously will never finish it? Nice circular reasoning there.

I never said that. I'm in the camp that says they will finish it but they will never be able to deliver on the full package.

"It's never been done before because it can not be done".

This is true. Even if every household had fiber and there would be 1TB/s connections between every client and SC servers there is no way that they will be able to pull it off.
It will be difficult enough to achieve the projected level of fidelity in offline single player Squadron 42 and make it run on current hardware next year or in 2017 but forget about multiplayer, let alone "massively" online multiplayer. It will require serious downscaling if you ever want to have more than a handful of ships per instance.

Also, games very rarely live up completely to their original design documents either due to money, time constraints, or soem things just not being currently feasible. Have you ever read a design document and then compared it to the released product? The original Bioshock is a good example of this. There are countless games that are not 100% what their creator's envisioned, but they still came out on top.

Very true but we're talking about a crowdfunded project here and not a publisher funded game.

When a dev pitches a game to a publisher they will always exaggerate a little and try to impress the publisher in some way. It's like an application and the publisher knows exactly that they are getting fed some bullshit. It is the producer's job to filter the bullshit and decide whether there is a game worth funding in the pitch.

I sincerely hope I do not have to explain that crowdfunding where the end customer coughs up the cash up front might be a slightly different story? Especially if the developer pounds their own chest about "open development" and "transparency" all the time?

24. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 11:49 CJ_Parker

Razumen wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 11:36:
yuastnav wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 11:26:
Razumen wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 10:27:
Blue wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 10:15:
Honestly, anyone that tries to argue that this game is a fraud is just a blatant troll at this point.

So you are blatantly trolling for blatant trolls?

No, if I was trolling I'd be making baseless statements only to get a rise out of people. Since I'm actually making an informed opinion about it, at most you can call it a pre-emptive defense against the usual cynicism found here.

I'm just saying that it is technically and physically impossible to do what they want to do. No amount of tweaking and fixing can simulate a world with such a scope in real-time. You could have separate spaces where you do FPS combat and space combat but then you would also need to synchronise these two spaces which would also require a lot of resources.
As far as I know no one has ever mentioned how they are going to do that. Of course that is something that is behind the scenes and doesn't get out to the public but it's difficult to imagine nonetheless that it's going to work.

That's why this whole thing is a bag of dreams and nothing more.

Lol, so we should believe you just because you can't understand how they're doing it, despite the fact they've already demonstrated it LIVE to an actual audience, and despite the fact they have a lot of people who are probably more knowledgeable than anyone here working on it?

Wow, the level of denial here is mind blowing.

First, that "live" demo could have been 100% staged.
Secondly, the original pitch was something like up to 100 ships/clients (they never specified unfortunately) per instance.
They have already dialed back significantly on that number and the last I've heard was they were hoping to maybe reach 50 eventually.

From monthly reports and the dev updates we can see that they are currently struggling with significantly lower numbers while "hoping" to slowly increase the number of clients.

I can guarantee you that as they add more "fidelity" and gameplay systems it will not help increase that number.
Elite Dangerous, for example, has a fraction of the fidelity and 32 ships per instance. There is a reason why and it's not because Frontier Development are incompetent.

So CIG can shove their "live" demo with a handful of people right up their ass. It's really astounding how their smoke&mirrors works for people like you. God forbid any critical thinking... can I sell you some magic shrooms that will grow your penis for only $50/pc? Deal?

19. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 11:32 CJ_Parker

Razumen wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 11:03:
I'm not totally defending Robert's actions, but the scope of the game has changed dramatically from a rather modest title to a full fledged AAA title

No, there hasn't been any change at all. The game was always advertised as a AAA title from day numero uno. In fact it was advertised as 10 TIMES THE LEVEL OF A CURRENT AAA GAME.
I'm not making this up. From the original KS page (when the goal was to raise $2 million, not $90m+)...

10X the detail of current AAA games

Most current gen “AAA” games have around 10,000 polygons for a character and 30,000 or so for a vehicle. In Star Citizen, the characters are detailed at 100,000 polygons, the fighter at 300,000 and the Space Carrier 7 million! This allows unparalleled detail, making the visuals more immersive than has ever been achieved before.

... while the development time has not yet exceeded that of a typical AAA game either. it's not surprising that he's had a hard time keeping to deadlines when what we're going to get will be far beyond the initial plans.

It's been three years and it's not unreasonable to expect an advanced beta for a regular AAA game after three years. But since they are shooting for 10x AAA I guess we have to wait 30 years...(?)

Also it's not me who claimed that more money would help get things done faster. That claim has been made by CR repeatedly. So who you gonna blame for trusting in CR's word?
It's also not the "impatient" community's fault that CR can not manage a project for shit. If he spouts completely unrealistic dates (that even those people who only have a peripheral interest in game development can identify as bullshit) then he is bringing it all onto himself.

Seriously, how can someone with the experience of CR be so wrong? The FPS was supposed to ship early this year. CR said so in November 2014 so he must have had a plan to ship within weeks, not months. In July or August they once again said it would only be a matter of weeks, not months. It's a complete joke at this time.
We're talking about a single map in CryEngine. An engine specifically made for FPS gameplay. And they can't hack a simple single level in any projected and scheduled amount of time? Does that give you confidence in this game's leadership? If so then more power to you, Sir...

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Oct 19, 2015, 11:17 CJ_Parker

That was awesome, funny and spot on.  

9. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 19, 2015, 10:49 CJ_Parker

The last video at the CitizenCon was pretty amazing honestly, implementing first person combat into the game really boosts immersion several fold, and it really looks like all the systems are going together nicely. Squadron 42 is looking particularly impressive, and having Gary Oldman, Mark Hammil and more on board should be a real treat.

I'm not sure what was "impressive" about that super-cheesy Admiral Bishop speech which is all they showed of S42. It was Uwe Boll levels of embarrassing. Seriously.

FPS mechanics don't really look impressive either. The animations are still some of the worst ever seen in a post-Y2K video game.

Finally, they need to actually deliver some of that stuff to impress anyone at this point. We've seen tons of flashy trailers with potentially nice looking gameplay but all of the actual playable stuff they have released so far simply sucks ass.

Any artist worth their salt can make cool looking stuff in Macromedia Flash. That's not the problem or the challenge. The challenge lies in delivering fun and polished gameplay.

This I can agree with in so far as it's not a classic case of vaporware fraud. However, there is some severe smell of fish associated with Chris Roberts in particular.
He has blatantly lied repeatedly in the past and keeps making up completely unrealistic dates with regard to content releases (like Star Marine which is 7+ months late now or his retardedly bold claim to have the "FULL PU working and functioning" -which is an exact quote- at the end of 2016).

You don't have to be a "hater" to simply ask yourself why does CR do that? Why the sleazy stuff? Why the lies? You just need some common sense to notice the discrepancies and to ask yourself or bring up some very valid critical questions.

News Comments > StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Preloads
14. Re: StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Preloads Oct 19, 2015, 10:31 CJ_Parker

Blue wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 10:18:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 09:53:
heroin wrote on Oct 18, 2015, 18:34:
I actually like my Battlenet app, but I own all of their games and expansions. My only complaint is that the app doesn't include Warcraft 3 on it.

Yeah or Diablo 2 + LoD or Starcraft + Broodwar. It's a little annoying that they haven't included their classic back catalog for simple one click install. A silly omission really.

Can't you get a simple one-click install just by providing your CD key? I'm almost positive that's how I added Diablo II.

Hmmm didn't work for me. In fact I just added my classic games because of these news this weekend and when you click on 'redeem code' in the B.net client it opens a browser window.

I added codes for Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm and Warcraft 3 + FT and Starcraft + BW.

The only game that showed up correctly in the B.net client was Starcraft 2 HotS but WC3 and SC were only added to the website catalog.

Of course I can download the installer for the classic games from my account page after logging in but there unfortunately seems to be no way to just grab the classic games via the B.net client. I think it's a silly omission on their part because it can't really be that hard to just automate the installer download from within the client app, right?

News Comments > Raven's Cry Renamed; Rerelease Plans
2. Re: Raven's Cry Renamed; Rerelease Plans Oct 19, 2015, 10:18 CJ_Parker

I'm betting it's still shit. And I usually win bets.  

12. Re: StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Preloads Oct 19, 2015, 09:53 CJ_Parker

heroin wrote on Oct 18, 2015, 18:34:
I actually like my Battlenet app, but I own all of their games and expansions. My only complaint is that the app doesn't include Warcraft 3 on it.

Yeah or Diablo 2 + LoD or Starcraft + Broodwar. It's a little annoying that they haven't included their classic back catalog for simple one click install. A silly omission really.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 19, 2015, 04:39 CJ_Parker

He probably meant the pipboy edition... (?)  

News Comments > BATTLETECH Expanded Merc Campaign Coming
13. Re: BATTLETECH Expanded Merc Campaign Coming Oct 18, 2015, 18:26 CJ_Parker

I'm gonna celebrate with champagne, coke and hookers if they miss the retarded PvP goal.

Single player for the muthafuckin win!

Just this one game, please. Just one single game... not fucked up beyond recognition by making it a lulz fest. Thank you!

6. Re: StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Preloads Oct 18, 2015, 04:31 CJ_Parker

Yep. It's Battle.net only and that's perfectly fine. A unified client for all stores (Steam, Origin, GOG, uPlay etc.) would be nice but it ain't gonna happen. Quite the contrary. I can already sense more on the horizon like a Bethesda client.
It's not that bad though. I allow Steam to auto-start and the others launch on an as needed basis. No big deal at all.

As for LotV, I've preordered the physical CE and already own the CEs of both previous parts (the only physical games I've bought in a looong time but totally worth it with Blizz quality CEs). When LotV is all patched up in a few months I'm gonna play the trilogy back to back. Should be lots of fun (hopefully)!

News Comments > EA Account Details Leaked
22. Re: EA Account Details Leaked Oct 17, 2015, 02:37 CJ_Parker

Ah OK sorry I misunderstood. I thought it was checking *only* against e-mail addresses (which can also be user names). Makes sense now. Thanks for clarifying.  

20. Re: EA Account Details Leaked Oct 17, 2015, 01:37 CJ_Parker

ViRGE wrote on Oct 17, 2015, 00:41:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 21:04:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 20:59:
I'd never seen this site before, which was linked in the article. Apparently you type in an email/username and it searches a bunch of text dumps from these breaches to see if you're among them. I don't know how reliable it is, or trustworthy in and of itself, but if you're curious and wanna give it a shot:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Because of the bold bit I would -IF AT ALL- only enter partial matches and never the full e-mail address or user name.

Trust no one.
That site doesn't do partial matches.

It did for me.

Though upon further testing it is a little strange. For example, let us assume your last name was "Smith" and you also had it in your e-mail address. If you enter "smith" it tells you that you have been pwned on 11 sites. If you remove the "h" and enter "smit" then it's only supposed to be 4 sites. This is bullshit, of course, because it should still be at least 11 based on the previous result. Odd.

Well, I'm definitely not entering my full e-mail or account name on a site like that. I have two-way auth activated everywhere it matters. If I would have been "pwned" then I would have gotten messages. Simple as that.

This comment was edited on Oct 17, 2015, 01:44.

10. Re: EA Account Details Leaked Oct 16, 2015, 23:05 CJ_Parker

Yep. In spite of EA's shitty business practices the Origin client itself is actually pretty nice these days.

- Great Game Guarantee (Generous refund policy)
- Game Time (Generous demos of some games)
- On The House (Free games)

There have also not been any bugs worth mentioning in a long time, performance is the same as Steam or other services and download speeds are the best from any client of that kind that I've seen (yes faster than Steam even by about 0.3 to 0.5MB/s) here in central EU.

2770 Comments. 139 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo