Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 2268 (Senior)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Gameplay Trailer
9. Re: Just Cause 3 Gameplay Trailer Apr 28, 2015, 10:51 CJ_Parker

yawn@JustCause2HD  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Origin and AU Refunds
5. Re: Origin and AU Refunds Apr 28, 2015, 10:42 CJ_Parker

HAHAHA defective games. EA might as well completely stop putting their own and UbiShit's catalogue on Origin AU then.  

News Comments > Bethesda on Paid Skyrim Mods
35. Re: Bethesda on Paid Skyrim Mods Apr 27, 2015, 20:30 CJ_Parker

NKD wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 19:58:
But like I said, Valve does deserve a decent cut for hosting, listing, and handling the business end.

Do they though? They are already selling the game via Steam and getting 30% of every sale. Many people might not even buy the game if it weren't for the (free) mods. The workshop is also great advertising for Valve and giving people an incentive to prefer Steam over other DD services. Does Valve really deserve more money on top of that? What for? And why now and why hasn't free hosting been an issue before?

But as I said, my main issue is BETHESDA'S cut. Which is many times higher than what they'd get licensing their tools and IP to a mainstream developer.

Yeah. Bethesda should not get another cut either just like Valve. They sell the game for over three years and it includes a "free" (not really since it's part of what you pay for) modkit for people to do as they please. Changing the rules mid-game and supporting Valve's greedy cash grab attempt to charge for mods is very lame indeed.

I can visually imagine the fat bloated red face of GabeN after a few glasses of wine and a similarly fat bloated red face of a Zenimax exec and how they dreamed up their new mod cash empire at some meeting at a convention. They probably thought of themselves as the greatest geniuses of all time as they repeatedly slapped their fat knees in laughter and choked on the wine.

An absolutely disgusting display of greed on all sides. I can't do much to boycott Valve as I have too many games on Steam unfortunately but I sure as hell won't buy the next Bethesda offering at anywhere near full price (if at all).

16. Re: Bethesda on Paid Skyrim Mods Apr 27, 2015, 19:35 CJ_Parker

Julio wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 19:30:
Kajetan wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 19:26:
Apparently Valve pulled out.

If they pulled out, they're just pausing before they can go in deeper without the lube.

Yep... Fallout 4 will be $60 for the base game and $60 for the premium season pass that includes the mod kit. Then every mod must be put exclusively on sale on Steam for a minimum price of $4.99. No free Nexus no more. Remember. You heard it here first, folks.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $80M; Accepting Subscription Contributions
3. Re: Star Citizen Passes $80M; Accepting Subscription Contributions Apr 27, 2015, 19:17 CJ_Parker

Huh? Subscriptions (Centurion and Imperator) have been around since the game's funding campaign back in 2012. This is not new.

Here:

Subscriptions

Over the past month we’ve had a lot of requests from users who simply want to support the game. Some can’t afford to spend $250 on a higher pledge tier right now but would like to help out every month for a small amount. Then there are those that have already backed for a good amount but believe so strongly in the project that they want help make sure we can deliver as much content and functionality as possible by adding a monthly contribution. We’re honored and humbled by this.

We welcome the support as every extra dollar allows us to flesh out the world with more ships, locations and features. If just 10% of the community helps out in this manner, we would be able to afford 6 additional team members. This would mean more artists to build ships and systems, game designers to flesh out missions and an additional person or two to service the community more effectively.

But we needed to sit back and figure out how to do this in a way that doesn’t violate our core principals. To that end, we want to make clear that there will NEVER be a subscription needed to play Star Citizen. Once you have backed you should not be have to spend extra money to play the game. Similarly, Star Citizen will never be ‘pay to win,’ so we are not going to offer a subscription plan that gives some users special equipment or additional money or any kind of edge in combat. We feel strongly that everything that affects gameplay can be earned in game via your actions.

The only thing left is telling our story: letting you follow the development of the game. But here’s the thing: we’re already doing that. It was part of the promise we made when you pledged for your copy of Star Citizen in the first place and, again, we aren’t going to change any of our plans because it might mean more money. If you’ve paid for the game, everything at the site is yours for the next two years: the Comm-Link, the Spectrum Dispatches, the RSI Museum, the forums and the live chat… as is everything we haven’t rolled out yet, but will: engineering updates about the game mechanics, “holovids” of the gameplay as it takes shape, access to the Alpha and Beta and much more.

Instead, we’ve created an extra set of rewards and ways to follow our development for interested subscribers, divided into two levels: Centurion ($10/month) and Imperator ($20/month.) These are things that we’re confident we wouldn’t have done without the extra money and the time it allows us. Here’s the rundown:

Centurion:

The ability to participate in the live monthly team “show and tell.” We will answer twenty questions from subscribers (selected via voting system.) Subscribers will watch the update live as it is being recorded.

Jump Point, the monthly digital magazine of Star Citizen. A 4-6 page monthly newsletter which includes updates from the team and new in-universe Star Citizen fiction from the writing team.
Access to “The Vault,” a collection of Star Citizen artwork that would otherwise never be seen, including ‘paths not taken’ discarded concept art for the true collector.
An exclusive catalog of Star Citizen subscriber merchandise.
Your name in the game. We can’t tell you where you’ll find it, but if you subscribe for at least 12 months your name will be located somewhere in the Star Citizen world!
Centurion decal for your ship

Imperator:

Everything listed above, plus…
Visit Cloud Imperium and see how the game is made! Imperator-level subscribers will be allowed one visit per year (scheduled in advance) to the Star Citizen development offices in Austin or Los Angeles.
Three wishes – Chris Roberts will personally reply to three of your questions a year.
Your name on the wall-of-honor at Cloud Imperium HQ if you subscribe for at least 12 months.
Jump Point: Year One, a printed collection of Jump Point issues provided to anyone who subscribes for the entire first year of development.
Imperator decal for your Ship.

We’re excited about making these two development subscriptions available immediately, but once again our ambitions are a little bit ahead of our site’s capabilities. As such, we’re asking interested subscribers to purchase the Centurion or Imperator pledge from our main page. This will bill you for the first month. Once the crowd funding phase has ended we will then spend the time needed to properly implement a recurring charge through all our supported payment methods, which we will have up and running in time for your second month’s subscription payment.

We are eternally grateful for all the amazing support you’ve given us so far and we don’t expect any more from any of you. This is completely optional and is all about your desire to see that Star Citizen is the richest game possible from the outset.

7. Re: Bethesda on Paid Skyrim Mods Apr 27, 2015, 19:10 CJ_Parker

"... treated like the game developers they are."

Right on, Bethesda. Go right ahead and add some insult to injury. Because you guys also get only 25% from every sale, right? Oh wait.

They might also want to hire some asshole for their PR blurbs who can actually spell. I'm not native English but even I know the fucking difference between "then" and "than".

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Apr 27, 2015, 06:00 CJ_Parker

Cutter wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 02:51:
shinchan0s wrote on Apr 26, 2015, 20:07:
Cutter wrote on Apr 26, 2015, 18:57:
ASeven wrote on Apr 26, 2015, 16:21:
Sepharo wrote on Apr 26, 2015, 16:15:
These Forbes blog things lend a bit of authority/professionalism where they shouldn't. Just some blogger dude. Not a real "Forbes" article.

He is absolutely correct in his assessment of the situation though.

No he's not and neither are you. Just don't use the Steam store in that case, plenty of other sites to grab mods from. Problem solved. This is a total non-issue, and it's laughable some of you are trying to turn it into one like this ridiculous op-ed.

This from the Blue's News' resident king of hyperbole.

I actually think he's right. That said, I don't think paid mods will take off even if it works for skins/maps. It's just too stupid of an idea.

King of hyperbole? That's a new one. And about as accurate as your assessment of the article. Rolleyes

Yep. King was actually too mild. He should have said the "Intergalactic Emperor Overlord of Hyperbole". That would have been bull's eye accuracy.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 27, 2015, 02:53 CJ_Parker

rkadair wrote on Apr 26, 2015, 22:56:
I can see CS GO is up there with all the VAC Ban's in the last 2 weeks

VAC bans? Really? So when did they turn VAC into more than a placebo?

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Powerplay Update Next Month
44. Re: Elite: Dangerous Powerplay Update Next Month Apr 25, 2015, 21:08 CJ_Parker

Kevin Lowe wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 08:51:
CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 02:31:
In a real space sim they should actually just disable mouse and keyboard as soon as you leave the main menu and the game engine starts loading. Fuck the casual n00bs who can't fly for shit!

^ zero sarcasm included by the way. Seriously. Fuck casual n00blets who want a Space Invaders action clickfest or Call of Duty in space instead of a sim.

HOTAS FTW! It's the only way. The only pure way for the enlightened ones. The way of the pros. My way...
So I assume that you're flying FA off 100% of the time? I mean, fuck casual n00bs who can't handle Newtonian physics from the moment they undock, right? This is a space sim, not casual trash like X-Wing, Wing Commander, or Freespace!

I'm flying like Skywalker with my eyes shut and just guided by the force, kid. Any questions? Thought so.

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
6. Re: Saturday Interviews Apr 25, 2015, 20:16 CJ_Parker

Well, that interview nails it that Molyneux has long passed the point of batshit.  

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Apr 25, 2015, 03:33 CJ_Parker

I wish this was a sign of people getting the wake-up call about how EA is exploiting them with a shitty reskinned BF4 clone and how people are finally getting sick of that premium DLC bullshit.
But who am I kidding?
As soon as EA returns to a modern military setting and calls the game BF5, the lemmings will be back in full force with their $120 preorders for the game and premium.
The poor performance of BF Hardline is probably solely to blame on the fact that all the usual dumbfuck lemmings are too busy playing GTA V anyway.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Powerplay Update Next Month
36. Re: Elite: Dangerous Powerplay Update Next Month Apr 25, 2015, 02:31 CJ_Parker

In a real space sim they should actually just disable mouse and keyboard as soon as you leave the main menu and the game engine starts loading. Fuck the casual n00bs who can't fly for shit!

^ zero sarcasm included by the way. Seriously. Fuck casual n00blets who want a Space Invaders action clickfest or Call of Duty in space instead of a sim.

HOTAS FTW! It's the only way. The only pure way for the enlightened ones. The way of the pros. My way...

News Comments > Steam Launches Paid Mod Support
115. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 24, 2015, 09:33 CJ_Parker

InBlack wrote on Apr 24, 2015, 08:09:
The worst part is that the eventual fallout (no pun intended) of all of this shit will be that the next Elder Scrolls game will likely not support any modding.

What? Why wouldn't it if this turns into the expected microtransaction magic money fountain for Valve and Bethesda? Future installments of all Bethesda games will definitely support modding if this shit becomes even half a financial success.
And it will.... look at all the idiots lining up for GTA V preorders even though Rockstar keep treating PC gamers like lepers. Most people will easily part with a dollar here or three dollars there for a decent mod.

Bethesda will probably even drive this themselves with excellent undercover mods that were developed in-house and just appear to be made by a regular Joe.

The whole thing bears almost zero risk and effort for Valve or Bethesda except for a little accounting. Short of finding a bag of money in the street, it's the easiest way to make money. They probably still have the cheek to cheek grins tattooed into their faces from when they came up with this genius idea of modern slavery.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Trailer
9. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Trailer Apr 24, 2015, 09:17 CJ_Parker

Rogue Spear was definitely the pinnacle of the series. It's been downhill ever since with the lowest point being Lockdown. The Vegas stuff, while no match for R6, Rogue Spear or Raven Shield, wasn't actually that bad at all. It was different but still good.
I have a feeling that this Siege crap might easily dethrone Lockdown as the shittiest part in the series though. The lack of single player alone is an atrocious offense that puts it right near the very bottom of everything.

News Comments > Steam Launches Paid Mod Support
105. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 24, 2015, 01:36 CJ_Parker

NamecaF wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 21:32:
Paid mods? Are you kidding me? That's bloody ridiculous. How about just implementing an optional "donate" ability huh Valve?

But... but... but... then poor Gabe wouldn't be able to buy a burger anymore. Come on. Think of poor Gabe! Steam is only making an estimated revenue of $2.5bn/y and you want to take it all away from him? You heartless bastard!

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops III Teaser
7. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops III Teaser Apr 23, 2015, 15:10 CJ_Parker

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Woman dumps cheating boyfriend's Apple gear into a bathtub Apr 23, 2015, 13:49 CJ_Parker

Bitch musta been pissed man!  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V NVIDIA Tweak Guide
9. Re: Grand Theft Auto V NVIDIA Tweak Guide Apr 22, 2015, 11:45 CJ_Parker

Yeah, GFE tuning is pretty useless and only for the most n00bish (or lazy) of users. Most of the time it is indeed way too conservative and it tries to set that horribly blurry FXAA stuff for you instead of a decent regular AA mode. And then there's the outliers, of course, where it gives you a glorious frickin' slideshow instead of crap image quality.
It also likes to push the most recent en vogue features a lot. For example, GFE tries to force DSR (supersampling) resolutions in every game recently. And that's where it gets really stupid sometimes when it suggests a DSR resolution to improve image quality and then applies FXAA to flush any improvements right back down the toilet.

nVidia's recommended settings are interesting to look at to figure out where your settings deviate from their recommended but that's about it. Anyone with only just a fraction of a clue is better off configuring shit themselves.
And be careful... the default setting if you are running GFE is to have it automatically download *and* apply the recommended settings. Better untick at least that 'apply' box if you value image quality and custom settings (under Preferences -> Games).

News Comments > Alan Wake 2 Prototype Video
13. Re: Alan Wake 2 Prototype Video Apr 21, 2015, 15:52 CJ_Parker

Verno wrote on Apr 21, 2015, 09:10:
PC port was excellent

You can't be serious. The port might not have been a total failure but it was pretty crappy, especially the floaty controls and it generally reeked of console heritage all over the place.
That's one of the reasons I quit the game fairly early on. The story and atmo was good but the gameplay was horrible. Running around in the dark like a pussy with a flashlight to stun enemies. Um yeah. Try again?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
27. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 20, 2015, 04:15 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Apr 19, 2015, 23:21:
CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 19, 2015, 20:13:
Pillars has dropped surprisingly fast. Elite Dangerous has been around since December 16 last year and with its 6DoF gameplay is arguably WAY more niche than BG clone PoE.
Yet it's still ahead of PoE and of course no sale to be seen anywhere for both games which might explain the difference.
With the high popularity of PoE and the almost exceptionally raving reviews (contrary to ED which has had only mostly positive but more mixed reviews), I really have just one single conclusion here: Grats to David Braben for making the right choice (at least from a business POV) when he introduced the always online DRM of ED.
At the same time, DRM-free PoE is probably getting freeloaded left, right and center so it's falling fast off the charts.

E:D has only been on Steam for a couple of weeks. Before that it was sold exclusively through Frontier's website.

I know. I'm a founder level backer of ED.
The fact that ED only recently launched on Steam is exactly what makes it sort of comparable to PoE because both games started to become available on Steam at roughly the same time.
They are both new games on Steam but even though ED has generally (ED website + retail etc.) been available for a much longer time and is even more niche than PoE, it is still outperforming PoE for the second week in a row. That's what I found pretty remarkable.
It's even more remarkable when looking at the numbers Jerykk posted because it doesn't seem to add up. The chart positions of PoE vs. concurrent players vs. SteamSpy numbers (however reliable they may be) draw a fairly weird picture where the dots are not exactly connected to each other.

Edit: Thinking about it some more I believe I partially know now what might play a substantial role here. Everyone who pledged for PoE above the $80 level got a second free copy of the game to gift away. So that would at least partially explain the weak chart positions vs. the concurrent players. There are many people playing who never bought the game but received a gifted key.

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2015, 04:22.

2268 Comments. 114 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo