Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 1587 (Pro)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > MechWarrior Online's $500 Gold Mechs
31. Re: MechWarrior Online's $500 Gold Mechs Dec 14, 2013, 20:14 CJ_Parker

We can all thank Star Citizen for that or more specifically morons buying hundreds of "limited" $1250 corvettes within minutes. Thanks, you dipshits. No, really. Thank you very, very much.
No wonder other devs want a piece of that action, too.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Project Ascender Revealed
3. Re: Project Ascender Revealed Dec 6, 2013, 23:34 CJ_Parker

Whaddyamean "next year"? Whatever happened to the concept of "when it's done" and freestyle ramming the company into the ground in the process? Has Miller grown the fuck up or what is this shit?!?  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Beta On Track; Last Chance for Add-ons
5. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta On Track; Last Chance for Add-ons Dec 6, 2013, 03:31 CJ_Parker

Riker wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 21:22:
Ooof, I was thinking that, as a vanilla backer, I would have access to the beta. It sounds like you have to pony up an extra $20 for the privilege, though.

Reading is teh haaarrrddd maaaannn!!!11!!

News Comments > Open-World Star Wars Game Clues
19. Re: Open-World Star Wars Game Clues Dec 1, 2013, 05:25 CJ_Parker

My guess is them trying to compete with Planetside 2. So an open world F2P action MMO game with micro transaction bullshit galore.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M
17. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $29M Nov 23, 2013, 15:49 CJ_Parker

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 14:15:
Creston wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 13:48:
shinchan0s wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 12:45:
I think hiring more people to get the game out sooner would be a good stretch goal.

There's a point of rapidly diminishing returns on that, though, if they're all in one team.

And if you keep splitting stuff off into multiple teams who each work on their own section, you run the risk of winding up with a game where the separate parts don't click. See Assassin's Creed. (It was terrible in 3, but even in 4 there are some things that really feel out of place, for example the 'stealth' system.)

Getting an extra million bucks and all you have to do is put in an extra ship seems like a fairly easy-to-do and sweet deal for them.

Too late as they already have 2 teams, one in Cali the other in the UK. Its just too good to be true, i cant put it any other way then that.

You forgot the main team in Austin, dude. In fact they got:

- Austin: Star Citizen core development team
- L.A./Santa Monica: Chris Roberts heading the team working on the dogfight module
- Montreal: Behavior Interactive who are doing art assets, concept etc.
- Manchester UK: Erin Roberts and the crew that signs responsible for the Squadron 42 single player campaign

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
4. Re: Morning Screenshots Nov 22, 2013, 14:20 CJ_Parker

LgFriess wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 13:08:
Yep, can't wait for WL2! Many, many hours of my life will disappear. Wife will be pissed.

Just buy her a dildo and game on, brah!!!

News Comments > Fallout 4 TMed
25. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 17, 2013, 17:56 CJ_Parker

Soulburner wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 17:33:
Wouldn't it be fun if Bethesda decided to make a new The Elder Scrolls installment and hired Obsidian to do Fallout 4?

Yes, it would. It's always fun to laugh at Obsidian's amateurish attempts at developing a game. Would be quite hilarious if the much anticipated Fallout 4 turns out to be a bug-ridden piece of shit that fits right into Obsidian's track record .

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $24M; New Video
71. Re: Star Citizen Hits $24M; New Video Oct 24, 2013, 03:53 CJ_Parker

bigspender wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 18:31:
the visuals are great no arguments there - but please tell it won't be that slow?

This ain't an arcade space shoot'em up but a space sim, dude. Chris Roberts once said that the dogfights should be about on par with WW2 war planes so it is in fact rather "slow". It should make combat infinitely more interesting though when you actually have to use advanced tactics and all of your ship's combat capabilities in order to win a fight.

News Comments > Red Baron Remake Kickstarter
24. Re: Red Baron Remake Kickstarter Oct 23, 2013, 02:54 CJ_Parker

Compared to the original Red Barons this looks very arcadey. I remember a very unforgiving flight model in Red Baron where you could have never pulled off any of the maneuvers that were shown in this clip. Your plane would have fallen apart.
Also fully armed you had a climb rate of maybe 10ft per minute (slight exaggeration alert) in the original game and here it looks much more WW2-like instead of WW1.

Might all turn into a fun action flight sim but a Red Baron remake this is not.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video
18. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 19, 2013, 22:51 CJ_Parker

PsychoMoggieBagpuss wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 22:41:
People are going to play both (I know I am).

I know. The point I was trying to make is that the 200K people who have pledged for Star Citizen are by far not all starved fans of hardcore space sims from the 1990s.
Those fans are at least according to my observations of the official SC forums in the vast minority compared to the (ex-)EVE, MOBA or any other highly competitive online game demographic that seems to be very attracted to SC, possibly due to SC's rather hardcore take on PvP (permadeath, non-consensual PvP, piracy etc.).

17. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 19, 2013, 22:43 CJ_Parker

Taskeen wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 22:40:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 22:30:
Graham wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 20:23:
Is it that unimaginable that around two hundred thousand people want to see this genre back from the dead and treated with respect?

Not unimaginable but extremely hard to believe those numbers. Look at hardcore flight sims like FSX, DCS or IL2. Very small communities of a once beloved genre and several Kickstarters e.g. for hardcore DCS modules have failed.

Uh Oleg just successfully funded a DCS WW2 module. And many of the IL-2 devs are now creating IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad. Still there, and we're still paying em, and playing their games.

Uh a promising looking Kickstarter aiming to add a F-35 Lightning module to DCS failed miserably at a fraction of the funding goal.
I know very well that other DCS Kickstarters succeeded and never claimed otherwise.

14. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 19, 2013, 22:30 CJ_Parker

Graham wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 20:23:
Is it that unimaginable that around two hundred thousand people want to see this genre back from the dead and treated with respect?

Not unimaginable but extremely hard to believe those numbers. Look at hardcore flight sims like FSX, DCS or IL2. Very small communities of a once beloved genre and several Kickstarters e.g. for hardcore DCS modules have failed.

Assuming that there are really 200K backers it's more like 20K people wanting the return of the space sim and 180K people planning on jumping ship (pun intended) from EVE to a subscription free MMO space sim (= SC).
I'm not even making this up. Look at the official SC forums. It's all about the MMO part of the game. The single player Wing Commander style Squadron 42 campaign barely ever gets mentioned at all and most people seem to plain not care much for it other than using it as a practice level for the MMO.
There is a reason why the latest episode of Wingman's Hangar was dedicated to Squadron 42. Not just because it happened to be episode 42 of Wingman's Hangar but also because the single player game has almost been ignored to this day.

Seriously, the MMO demographic (especially current and ex-EVE players) is very strong in this one. Only a minority seems to be the space sim fans of the 1990s when Wing Commander, XWing and Freespace kept us up all night.

8. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 19, 2013, 20:10 CJ_Parker

Cutter wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 18:05:
There is no way money just keeps rolling in like this like it was clockwork. I smell something here and it ain't roses.

I have also had a suspicion for quite a long time that maybe Roberts himself and his brother and maybe some other ex-Origin guys who got rich back in the day or rich friends of Roberts from the movie industry are responsible for the majority of the funding.

As we know Roberts has always been planning on a US$20+ million game from the beginning with one part coming from crowdfunding and another from investors.
There is definitely a possibility here that the plot is to keep the money from crowdfunding coming in but that in reality it's more like US$ 8 to 10 million from the crowd and the other US$10+ million from "investors" (= Roberts himself + friends and family).

No one is ever going to be able to do a head count and check whether the sum total really reflects the accumulated individual pledges or what number of alpha slots are really taken.
And thanks to the instancing system (about 50 players max per instance) no one is ever going to be able to estimate the number of players online.
It would be fairly easy for Roberts to pull off some tricks to inflate the crowdfunding numbers for more publicity and to keep up the momentum.

On the other hand it is perfectly possible that there are in fact that many nutters out there. Remember WoW. Before it was released everyone thought it was going to be one big fail in an already oversaturated MMORPG market. And the rest is history as they say.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $21M; Video & Hangar Patch Released
38. Re: Star Citizen Hits $21M; Video & Hangar Patch Released Oct 14, 2013, 19:47 CJ_Parker

Scottso wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 19:16:
I don't think that's altogether fair considering Robert's past history with these sorts of games.

Oh yeah? The last game that Chris Roberts worked on was Freelancer and you might want to read up on the development history of that game. The short version is that Roberts got degraded to "consultant" because the project was a clusterfuck. It suffered delay after delay and in the end it was taken away from Roberts so it wouldn't end up as vaporware.
The Wing Commanders, while awesome games at their time, were also troubled by hefty delays and feature cuts because Roberts was always way too ambitious for his own good.

There is plenty of reason to be concerned about Star Citizen given the massive scope of the project. Chris Roberts is riding the razorblade between madness and genius. Outcome undetermined but wish him luck. He's gonna need it.

Also, I agree with the sentiment that this game is losing focus. Most of the core audience wanted a modern Wing Commander or XWing. Not a FPS.
And also not a game where you have to micro-manage shit to death like taking care of ship insurance, hangar fees, taxes and all that crap that is going to take away from the actual piloting.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $21 Million
56. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 9, 2013, 21:50 CJ_Parker

saluk wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 14:31:
I like space. I like ships. I like flying ships in space. I like a lot of the ideas that are going in this game, it sounds like a dream. Most games that sound like a dream are merely ok - or bad. Sure, I bought into SC - I will be getting my copy of the game when it comes out. But I just don't understand why people are buying ships for a game that is far from being ready? How do you know you want that ship? You haven't been able to see how it performs in the damn game! Every MMO I've ever played nerfs and buffs the classes all the time - that's going to happen here. I mean, they look cool sitting in your hanger, but you can just look at the screenshots if you want to see how it looks. You still don't know how it's going to fly. It makes no sense to me. I wouldn't buy ships with real money in any case - buying virtual items usually rubs me the wrong way - but I REALLY don't understand buying these things on complete faith. Faith that the game warrants the expenditure, but more than that, faith that the ship is worth the cost.

It's mostly because of Lifetime Insurance (LTI). Many people believe that they are going to have a HUGE advantage over others by buying ships with LTI now as opposed to new players who will have to pay for insurance.

Of course no one knows right now how it's gonna turn out but CIG has hinted at the very obvious fact that LTI will only be a minor perk. Insurance will be very affordable and I think we all know it has to be unless CIG does not want any new players to join the game - ever.

There's also going to be a natural progression of ships where the old models (including the pledge ships) get exchanged for newer models. So after a while into the live game (a year, two..?) no one will have LTI anymore since no one will be flying around with the old ships anymore (LTI sticks to the hull, not the account).

It's actually pretty funny to watch all the hysterical little school girls on the RSI forums who are hoping to score with the quarterback tomorrow (1 year anniversary sale launches tomorrow) not knowing that he has a smelly breath and a hairy ass. Oh well. Open wide, guys! Open wide!!!

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Video Diary
2. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Oct 6, 2013, 15:37 CJ_Parker

Wildone wrote on Oct 6, 2013, 15:16:
I hope this gets made, SC is looking great but getting very bloated with all the fan boys wanting it to be GTA in Space. This might be more pure combat based

Agree. As much as I am looking forward to SC, I sometimes get the impression that they have broadened the focus way too much.
SC is starting to sound like you're going to be busy 90% of the time playing insurance manager, ship upgrade manager, fleet manager, hangar fee maintenance manager, tax manager, medical issue manager (permadeath/injury system), trading network manager etc. etc. etc. and only 10% actually flying and out of those 10% maybe 1% to 5% fighting since space is huge and encounters aren't exactly around every corner especially in the safer sectors.

Now I don't want a hack'n'slash in space where you wish you had an old Quickfire joystick with permafire but time spent on the ground micromanaging shit should be WAY less than the actual space time. I hope that Chris Roberts and co refocus on the fact that SC was supposed to become a space sim one of these days.

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 3 Will Happen, Eventually
5. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 3 Will Happen, Eventually Oct 3, 2013, 10:36 CJ_Parker

Yippie! Battlefield 4 reskinned, who would have thought that EA would milk the cow dry?  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 AMD Driver Issue?
1. Re: Battlefield 4 AMD Driver Issue? Oct 1, 2013, 21:05 CJ_Parker

AMD driver issues with a game? Really? Wow! That's rare!

Keep on trucking with that Mantle crap though AMD! That's probably going to be totally bugfree and flawless given your awesome track record!

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
33. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 30, 2013, 21:31 CJ_Parker

Hahaha fuck consoles... but knowing Ubi those lamers will port it to PC with 30fps hard-locked so they will probably be having the last laugh .  

News Comments > Master Thief Announced
4. Re: Master Thief Announced Sep 27, 2013, 22:23 CJ_Parker

MajorD wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 20:59:
Sleeping Bargain bin; I'll play the REAL THING until then.

Yep thanks to the lame DLC policy this is also bargain bin material for me whenever they release the GOTY or complete edition.

1587 Comments. 80 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo