Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 2767 (Senior)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Update and Trailer
28. Re: Star Citizen Update and Trailer Oct 29, 2015, 08:25 CJ_Parker

Kxmode wrote on Oct 29, 2015, 06:00:
3. It appears CIG is producing less PR material and more working progress videos to show what they're doing.

If you mean the past two weeks since CitizenCon ended, OK, but I can't generally see a trend like that. Just check the monthly reports. They've been working hard on "exciting" reveals all year long.

PAX East, E3, Gamescom, CitizenCon etc... I'm not sure about PAX AUS but if they are going this year then that will be the next event that will detract from more focus on actual development.
And then PAX East is already on the horizon again and the circle continues...

I will believe in more focus on actual game development if and when they actually cancel the majority of those shows (or attend them like regular devs/business people would).
Personally, I believe that the only event that they should be having is their own CitizenCon but wtf are they doing at E3 which is a console circle-jerk for the most part?

Screw all those shows. Even a huge publisher like Bethesda only showed FO4 at E3 this year with a release announcement in the same year. WTF is CIG as a crowdfunding/indie dev doing at all those shows when the game is years away from release?? They should have gone to E3, Gamescom, PAX etc. the year they were certain that they were closing in on a commercial release (i.e. 2016) but not in 2013/2014/2015.
I really don't want to know how many man hours were spent working on those spit&glue event demos instead of building the foundation of the actual game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Previews
2. Re: Morning Previews Oct 28, 2015, 10:56 CJ_Parker

Moar garbage...  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic - Knights of the Fallen Empire Launches
11. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic - Knights of the Fallen Empire Launches Oct 28, 2015, 10:54 CJ_Parker

ZeroPike1 wrote on Oct 28, 2015, 10:19:
I'll look into this when they make there F2P section more F2P friendly. I'm not a fan of there current limits on things. Makes it unplayable.

Well, you're not getting this expansion as a F2P anyway. You have to be a subscriber to get it for "free". At least for now... they might make it free for F2Pers at some point in the distant future, of course.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic - Knights of the Fallen Empire Launches
8. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic - Knights of the Fallen Empire Launches Oct 28, 2015, 05:05 CJ_Parker

Bill Borre wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 20:13:
I'm glad they added the option to solo FPs. I was hoping they'd do that.

You could already solo FPs before KotFE. You could play the Shadow of Revan level 60s in solo mode and you could easily solo all the old level 50 FPs (hard mode, too) as a level 60 because mobs could not touch you as soon as you were 9+ levels above them.

3. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic - Knights of the Fallen Empire Launches Oct 27, 2015, 20:05 CJ_Parker

I had early access and finished this last week.

The story is sort of OK (not stellar and a bit strange for Star Wars but OK). It is also by far the easiest game I have ever played.

I mean you often hear people say that a game is for retards and so on but for this game it is actually 100% true!

All you need to do is hold down 'W' and watch cutscenes. There is absolutely nothing else to do for all nine very linear corridor-style chapters.

It is also a little weird how you reach the new level of 65 easily after about one third of the expansion's story. Did they even test shit (it's EA/Bio... don't answer)?
The game is one long fucking narrow corridor. If there is one game on this planet where it is easy as pie to determine exactly what level the player will be at some point it is this game. Why not make it more interesting by balancing shit better?

I also hate the forced companion crap, i.e. how they take away several of your beloved companions and introduce an all new influence grind. I dislike even more that the forced companion crap is so inconsequential.
In today's patch they fixed the terminal that allows you to retrieve your old companions which totally goes against the story but with all the companion gifts that you get from playing through KotFE it just makes sense to get your old comps back anyway.
I hope I also don't have to mention how utterly lame and dumb it is to get your companions back by pushing a button.

It is luckily a "free" expansion for subscribers and for a free expansion it may not be too bad but it has a shitload of major glaring flaws (there is also no loot progression worth mentioning... those nine story chapters are one big snoozefest).
Consider my account canceled at least until the next chapters come along or maybe even until the whole story is released. It's not really worth €12.99. You can watch many more much better movies for the same price and KotFE is nothing but a mediocre movie (it's not even really interactive).

News Comments > New Star Citizen Alpha
74. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Oct 27, 2015, 18:40 CJ_Parker

AngelicPenguin wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 15:07:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 14:07:
Of course it is a big fat lie.

You seem very passionate about this, and again I haven't followed this much.

BUT - the reasonable analogy that I make is that I told a client I will build them a new room in their house for $5,000. If I get $10,000 I can build that room in half the time. The client then gives me $100,000 and says to build a completely new wing. The clear assumption there is that the new wing isn't going to get built in the same time frame as the original $10,000 room.

No?

No. Because the client does not say to build a completely new wing. The construction company calls the shots, not the client. Star Citizen backers never had a chance to say 'no' to Chris Roberts megalomaniac tendencies. There was only a general poll whether to keep funding going after the campaign but CR/CIG kept making up the stretch goals.

So the company knows exactly from the very start, at the time it promises to build a new room for $5,000, that neither the room for $5,000 or $10,000, let alone the whole wing for $100,000 will happen on time or somehow faster than the $5,000 room.

That CR quote is from September 2013. The campaign ended November 2012. The promised game, as per the stretch goals Nov 2012, was already an extremely ambitious ~$6 million (+$xx million from investors) game with a 50 mission single player campaign, a persistent universe with 100 star systems, private servers and modding tools (and much more).
You know... a full single player game, a full-fledged MMO, dedicated servers and modding tools. Easily four, five years of work minimums but CR promised to do it in less than half.

I actually fully expected CR back then (i.e. Nov 2012) to step up to the microphone and announce that this new and bigger game would naturally not happen by the end of 2014 as announced.

Unfortunately, that never happened. Instead CR tried to keep up the illusion that the game's release is not that far away and he said silly crap as in the quoted bit, obviously hoping to get even more money when he must have known exactly (given his experience) that the project would never happen within the next year -or somehow magically faster if people throw more money at it- since it was himself who kept making up more and more stretch goals for every single $1 million raised.
As a developer you will know that you can not just throw more people at a project to make it happen faster. It might work to some extent for art and asset creation but you can't just hire more and more code monkeys without creating havoc and chaos. There is a point where you get diminishing returns or even detrimental effects from having too many people on the project.

All in all it's simply very disingenuous of a CR in 2013, when he kept blowing the scope out of proportion, all the while fully well knowing that there will be massive delays before the full game will ever be delivered, to still promise to get things done faster.
Then to lol @ his own backers in June 2015 for expecting to just happen what HE promised earlier is very rich.

And he keeps doing this sleazy shit... at Gamescom he said that the FULL (100 star systems, all gameplay systems, everything) persistent universe will be "working and functioning" by the end of next year. What a big, fat, blatant lie. He can't possibly believe that himself. Absolutely no way. Or, he if he really does, then he truly is the most unprofessional project lead ever.

71. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Oct 27, 2015, 14:07 CJ_Parker

AngelicPenguin wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 12:35:
Kosumo wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 01:13:

While I don't think these where 'promises', I do still think they are just some of the very many times that Chris Roberts as out right lied to the backers.

Chris Roberts is a deceptive, scummy man.

I have little opinion of this game one way or the other and even I think referring to delays in a game's development as "lies" is a serious stretch. Especially when I do development for a living.

Did you even read the quotes? Chris Roberts said 'please keep pledging so we can get stuff done faster' (when the date for the whole game to come out was still end of 2014).
So he basically promised people to employ more devs so that stuff would be done considerably BEFORE the end of 2014 when he must have fully well known that this would never happen, specifically because the scope kept increasing at the same time.

People with a clue about game development also knew this would never happen and were already pointing out to be careful about such CR claims back then. Of course they were immediately shouted down by the White Knights who said 'Chris Roberts has more experience than any of you haters so he will make it happen'.
Oh yeah? Look at where we are today. Did the game come out at the end of 2014, dear White Knights? Whoopsie. Nope, it didn't.
But they don't care, of course, because they don't want to remember that Chris lied to them.

Anyway, how is that not a lie if CR promises to get the game done faster while at the same time increasing the scope and knowing that the faster delivery will never happen? Of course it is a big fat lie. Chris Roberts is a lying shitbag of epic proportions. You could go through SC's history if you were so inclined and come up with dozens of ridiculous Chris Roberts quotes where he outright lied to people. He has turned into a pro spindoctor over the course of this project.
When he gets called out on his lies it's always "yeah what we really meant to say back then was... blahblahblehbluhblech" and the White Knights lap it up like the semen of God Himself.

News Comments > Another Steam User Record
9. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 11:09 CJ_Parker

Verno wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 10:39:
I thought it was based off users actively playing a game, not just logged in but they don't really clarify it on that page.

Well, they call it Steam "users". You can use Steam in many ways other than gaming.
Also, if you add up the numbers from the 99 most played current games you end up at about 2 million players while there are ~8.7 million current users.
This would mean that an additional 6.x million people would have to be playing thousands of obscure games with less than 3K concurrent players (since 3K is what it takes to be in place no. 99).
Assuming an average of 2K players per game this means that there'd have to be 3,000+ more games with an average of 2K concurrent players.

So, yeah, it's definitely just users as in "logged in" as the news post also states correctly.

News Comments > Another Steam User Record
7. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 10:33 CJ_Parker

Well, the Steam user base keeps growing in general and so does the concurrent numbers because Steam is still set to autostart with Windows by default, right?
A few million of those 11 million probably didn't even know they were logged into Steam.
It's nice advertising for Valve when they announce a new record but it is about as surprising as a new CoD every year.

60. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Oct 26, 2015, 09:38 CJ_Parker

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 08:38:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 05:37:
They already haven't. CIG have broken Kickstarter promises left, right and center and, yeah, there will be way more to come when you really sit down and compare the entire pitch/stretch goal list to whatever will be playable one day.
What are these promises that CIG has supposedly broken? I've been following since the original Kickstarter and am not aware of any. Delays don't count, as they were only estimates and it was stated from the beginning that delays were likely. In fact the game has expanded to such a degree that backers are getting substantially more than was originally promised.

LTI and limited ships for starters. The one and only ship they kept that promise for is the Vanduul Scythe for some strange reason but every other ship that was advertised with a "last chance" has made a return.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Oct 26, 2015, 06:12 CJ_Parker

Not bad. I hope they'll do $9.99 for SoM GOTY for xmas. Then we have a deal.  

57. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Oct 26, 2015, 05:37 CJ_Parker

Illumin wrote on Oct 25, 2015, 10:06:
SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 25, 2015, 09:04:
I love it when people talk about ELite Dangerous not delivering because one thing they've promised was cut. Nevermind about everything else. Some of you guys need a serious reality check.
Or just quit this whole gaming as a hobby thing because it is clearly not for you. Try bingo or chess or some shit like that.

Not having a single player and announcing it 1 month before release is pretty shitty. That's a pretty big selling point for a large amount of people.

There is single player/solo play. There is just no offline single player. It's like Diablo 3 or some UbiSoft games. You have to be always online. That's all.

I agree that they should have announced it much sooner but I also understand why they cut offline play in the end. They did not want to release an offline version of their universe so players could rip it apart via "hacks".

It would have defeated the purpose of exploration in the online version and would have made the online universe prone to bug abuse, exploits and outright h4XX.

Cutting offline was the only sensible thing to do. They did the right thing but should have both seen it sooner and told people about it sooner.
I do not believe there was any malicious intent on Frontier's side, however. They have been very open and honest about everything else and delivered everything else, too, so it may very well be true that the definitive final decision on whether to ever have an offline version of the universe was really made at a very late point in time.

We'll see if the other space sim dev will "deliver" on every single thing they've promised.

They already haven't. CIG have broken Kickstarter promises left, right and center and, yeah, there will be way more to come when you really sit down and compare the entire pitch/stretch goal list to whatever will be playable one day.

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 2015, 06:02.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
18. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 26, 2015, 05:33 CJ_Parker

ded2me wrote on Oct 25, 2015, 22:35:
Microsoft is not publishing sales of XBOX one anymore. That tells me that they are declining and that they may be in trouble...

Hopefully... the day they announce the shutdown of the ShitBox division (if ever but that day can't come soon enough) I'm going to chug-a-lug a magnum bottle of Veuve Clicquot.

40. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Oct 25, 2015, 09:33 CJ_Parker

harlock wrote on Oct 25, 2015, 08:49:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 25, 2015, 07:59:
Nucas wrote on Oct 25, 2015, 07:07:
oops! i typed the wrong thing, you got me. but if you've got it in your head that your dick simply must be swung around because of this important video games stuff that you have internalized, then carry on.

Thanks for the suggestion but I'll keep my dick in my pants. You don't want me to swing it around cuz it would end up in a very messy beheading if I cockslapped you!

this is what they call: overcompensating

No. It's called having a fucking wrecking ball in yer pants!

36. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Oct 25, 2015, 07:59 CJ_Parker

Nucas wrote on Oct 25, 2015, 07:07:
oops! i typed the wrong thing, you got me. but if you've got it in your head that your dick simply must be swung around because of this important video games stuff that you have internalized, then carry on.

Thanks for the suggestion but I'll keep my dick in my pants. You don't want me to swing it around cuz it would end up in a very messy beheading if I cockslapped you!

22. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Oct 24, 2015, 20:43 CJ_Parker

DangerDog wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 20:02:
Nucas wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 19:06:
Lorcin wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 18:52:
loomy wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 18:35:
both games are utterly incomplete

Nah elite delivered what it promised - an updated version of the classic. It even tacked on some multiplayer.

In terms of Elite vs Elite Dangerous it's a huge leap forward and a complete update of the original game.

Unfortunately gamers expect way more these days - but ED did deliver what was promised for me.

all i expected was what they said they would deliver during the kickstarter: a campaign. that was all i wanted. then they announced ONE MONTH before shipping that the plans were scrapped. i then collected my refund and moved on.

I don't remember that, wast it some sort of stretch goal? I must have backed it before that came up.

It never came up. Just another guy with severe reading comprehension issues who hit the pledge button before doing even the tiniest bits of research and who obviously had no clue whatsoever about prior games in the series.

Frontier promised offline play which unfortunately did not happen but they never promised a (single player) campaign or anything of the sort. The KS website specifically talks of a sandbox and re-imagining the original Elite where you have 100cr and a spaceship and carve your own path in the galaxy... exploring, mining, bounty-hunting, trading, running missions etc.
You can do all of that in E:D and there actually is story content, too, albeit not in traditional campaign form.

P.S.: Kickstarter websites can not be edited after the campaign has ended so before anyone else wants to make a fool of themselves by accusing Frontier of not delivering stuff they never promised please get your facts straight and check for yourselves, thanks!

18. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Oct 24, 2015, 19:33 CJ_Parker

Cutter wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 18:59:
Lorcin wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 18:52:
loomy wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 18:35:
both games are utterly incomplete

Nah elite delivered what it promised - an updated version of the classic. It even tacked on some multiplayer.

In terms of Elite vs Elite Dangerous it's a huge leap forward and a complete update of the original game.

Unfortunately gamers expect way more these days - but ED did deliver what was promised for me.

Oh so offline play and an editor are available now? Oh wait...

Would you please stop spreading the blatant lie that an editor was ever promised for Elite Dangerous? It never was.
This is at least the second time you are trying to sell that lie as a fact.

Offline play, yes, that is a different story and it was... "changed"... but still nothing on the level of other KS like Divinity Original Sin which failed to deliver on a whole shopping list of stuff.
Frontier did very well compared to other KS projects. They delivered exactly what they said they would and then some - just minus the offline thing.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
8. Re: Microsoft no longer reporting console sales Oct 24, 2015, 16:43 CJ_Parker

Greenish wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 11:56:
Hating Microsoft is so passé.

Nope. It will never be "passé" as long as Microsoft keep behaving like incompetent dimwits and keep treating Windows PC gamers (you know... THEIR OWN fucking customers!) like garbage.

Just a few examples from the (mostly) more recent past:

- Rise of the Tomb Raider (timed) exclusivity
- The OS-side blocking of SafeDisc in Win7/8 w/o any warning or releasing no-DRM patches for THEIR OWN fucking catalog (yes, I know that the SafeDisc blocking can be worked around in Win 7/8 but many more casual PC users won't be comfortable following the needed steps)
- Telling people who contacted support to please go ahead and buy the digital versions of any affected games when several SafeDisc-protected games from THEIR OWN fucking catalog are not even available in digital format because they have been too lazy and incompetent to re-release them (e.g. Freelancer/Starlancer)
- Taking TWO fucking YEARS to come up with a wireless dongle for the Xbone controller for PC and then making it Win 10 exclusive
- Promising "new and exciting" Windows 10/DirectX 12 games and then announcing the remake of a decade old cover shooter and... A FUCKING FABLE MMO!

How are you supposed to NOT "hate" a dipshit company like that? Impossible.
I'll be the first to stop hating once MS begins to take PC gamers serious again. Until then they're on the shit list.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
1. Re: Microsoft no longer reporting console sales Oct 24, 2015, 11:37 CJ_Parker

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA

Those fucking pathetic losers.... too ashamed to admit defeat. As a PC gamer it feels sooooo good to see the ShitBox fail. Take that, Microsoft, for years of abuse and shitty business practices.

3. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Oct 24, 2015, 11:30 CJ_Parker

"Under the hood" changes are entirely fucking retarded because the fucking patcher downloads the entire game for every patch anyway. So you download the new version with "under the hood" changes only to download them again when (if) 2.0 hits. They might as well have skipped this version if 2.0 is as close as they want people to believe. The people with limited bandwidth would thank them for it.  

2767 Comments. 139 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo