Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 1569 (Pro)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Risen 3 Images Leaked?
1. Re: Risen 3 Images Leaked? Feb 22, 2014, 10:43 CJ_Parker

Leaked by the glorious staff of fan site WorldofRisen.de. The images were officially not supposed to be published before 2/25/2014 at 16:00 CET (currently UTC +1).
The site admin of WorldofRisen.de has fired nearly all staff as a result of the leak. Intahnetz drama at its best!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Editorial on Kickstarter Communication
1. Re: Editorial on Kickstarter Communication Feb 22, 2014, 10:38 CJ_Parker

That's what happens when you lock up in an ivory tower and decide to only surround yourself with yes-men and brown-nosers. Welcome back to the real world, Schafer. You clown.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced
7. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 21, 2014, 20:18 CJ_Parker

Cabezone wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 19:54:
FoV slider is going to be in the final game. Currently you can adjust it in the hangar module with the cryengines console.

Which many not so tech savvy people naturally don't know about so they get sick as fuck from the default 55(!!!) FoV. And CIG could not be bothered to just put the default at 75 or 80 via a simple user.cfg entry in over seven months now. Why is it that so many devs always fail at the really simple and easy stuff?

News Comments > Irrational Games Closing
26. Re: Irrational Games Closing Feb 19, 2014, 05:17 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 04:17:
Infinite sold over 4 million units. Granted, the six year dev cycle makes that a bit less impressive but not enough to shutter the entire studio. For comparison, Tomb Raider and Hitman Absolution were in development for about the same amount of time and received about the same amount of sales but you don't see Square shutting down Crystal Dynamics and IO Interactive. It just seems like a crazy decision from Take-Two.

... spoketh the guy who pirates games left, right and center and then wonders why game devs are shutting down or rescaling like IR.
It's kinda like shitting your pants and then wondering why it's getting warm and stinky in your groin area.

Besides, from Levine's own blurb there it sounded like a Levine idea and not a Take2 idea to restructure IR. Even if it was a Take2 idea I'd find it hard to blame them. Levine is known as a pretentious primadonna ass clown so maybe it's best to scale his shit down some before his head explodes from all the megalomaniac brain sauce.
Besides #2 Levine's own dumb fault when he sold out to Take2 years ago. He could still be indie and just look for a new publisher if Take2 was acting up. Zero sympathy for that dumbass here.

News Comments > Evening Patches
3. Re: Hangar Patch 11 Feb 19, 2014, 05:03 CJ_Parker

These are alibi patches to appease the growing impatient masses who would like to see much more progress being made.
The hangar is still in horrible shape. Poor lighting and crappy overall graphics, shitty performance, no official AA support, common resolutions are still not officially supported, no options menu worth mentioning, nothing... and only a handful of pledge ships half-finished. The rest has been "coming soon" for the past nine months or so.

@Slinkycatz: The DFM has been confirmed to release "soon" after PAX East, not at PAX East. They are only showing a demo at PAX. With CIG's definition of "soon" it is anyone's guess when the module will actually come out.

News Comments > Blackguards: Untold Legends and Patch Next Month
3. Re: Blackguards: Untold Legends and Patch Next Month Feb 19, 2014, 04:55 CJ_Parker

$4.99 for me, including all DLC, of course.  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash
53. Re: Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash Feb 10, 2014, 06:14 CJ_Parker

Nope, they haven't and CIG -just like Obsidian- will not be getting any more money from me since they also utterly fail at communicating the bad news properly.
Oh, and God forbid you question the original end of 2014 release date on the official forums. You will immediately be attacked by a mob of Church of Roberts cultists, white knights and apologists.

The funny thing is that many people are seriously convinced that the game will now be released sooner rather than later because CIG will be working with their own net code from the beginning of the DFM instead of having to replace the originally planned CryEngine net code later.
I'm fairly sure those people will have a rude awakening.

On the other hand, Erin Roberts has revealed in a forum post that Squadron 42 is now going to be an episodic release so, who knows, if they only release three missions at first then they might make a 2014 date. They never said full game by the end of 2014.

As for CIG doing a terrible job at communicating the bad news: The DFM was originally supposed to be out by the end of 2013. After a long period of silence where everyone was hoping the DFM would be the Xmas gift, Chris Roberts informed the community at the very last minute on December 20 that there would not be a DFM for a couple of months.
Next, around Xmas or New Year's he talked to MMORPG.com and revealed in that video interview that the DFM is now scheduled for "March, late March, early April". He also said that when they'd get back to work in January they would do another assessment and communicate the results of that assessment to the community. That never happened. There hasn't been a single beep on the DFM since the MMORPG.com interview. Great communication. Not.

51. Re: Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash Feb 10, 2014, 03:12 CJ_Parker

Cram wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 20:02:
btw, no company keeps their audience in the loop as well as Obsidian has with Eternity. Not even close.

That is not quite true. Cloud Imperium Games rules all with Star Citizen. Now of course they got 10x the budget but it is still amazing what CIG has pumped out in the last 15 months.
The (almost) weekly Wingman's Hangar web show (every episode runs for 30 - 45 minutes) is now up to 55 episodes as per last week and they now have a second weekly web show called "The Next Great Starship" so that's currently more than a full hour of video per week(!).

Add to that a plethora of fiction and lore updates. Seriously, they must have cranked out a couple novels by now.
Then live streams, other assorted videos, the hangar module as a playable demo of the player's home base, "10 for the Chairman" where Chris Roberts answers subscriber's questions, "Ask a Dev" forums where devs answer to all fans' questions, concept art, polls, you name it.

I am a backer of PoE, Star Citizen, Divinity Original Sin, Shroud of the Avatar, Elite Dangerous and Torment Tides of Numenera and out of those Star Citizen is running circles around the other ones. It's not even a contest.

39. Re: Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash Feb 9, 2014, 06:26 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 06:10:
Are people seriously complaining about not being immediately notified of delays?

Yes.

How long have you been playing games?

Oh. Couple decades or so. You?

9 out of 10 games are delayed, indie or otherwise.

Which speaks volumes about the lack of professionalism in this industry. Your point?

When a Kickstarter asks for $1 million and gets $4 million as a result of stretch goals, are you really surprised when the expanded scope results in delays?

If that is so then why are they not open and honest about it? Why not add a description to each stretch goal like... "The mega dungeon will now have at least 15 levels (+ 3 months development)".
It would be as simple as that.

And why do you even care so much about the release date? Do you plan your schedule around it? If the game is delayed, is your life significantly impacted?

Oh come on. You can do better than that, no?
As I have stated and I believe I speak for many KS backers: We are used to asshole publishers covering their tracks, feeding us bullshit and keeping us in the dark.
It is a pity to experience that many developers are just the same. In spite of the absence of a publisher there is no open and honest communication. There is the same shady tactics motivated by greed like "Let the stupid fucks believe in a 4/2014 date as long as the money keeps rolling in".
The issue is not the release dates. The issue is not the delays. The issue is the complete lack of up front and honest adult-to-adult communication.

35. Re: Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash Feb 9, 2014, 00:03 CJ_Parker

Cram wrote on Feb 8, 2014, 19:17:
The date, April 2014 if I recall correctly as a release. You can't change the release date after you start a kickstarter, you can not edit it. It is entirely feasible that they would have reached the release date of April 2014 if the scope of the project remained at the million dollar range. But what happened?

Dude, I think we all know what happened but thanks for the historical recap anyway. I have absolutely no problem with all that.
However, while you might not be able to edit the date on a KS once the campaign is running, you know what you can do?
You can send out project updates which are even sent to people's e-mail addresses so you can be sure it reaches people.
They have sent out 71 of these project updates as far as I can tell. The last one dating from 1/28/2014.

Where the fuck is the one updating us on the release date? Where is the one reading: "Dear loyal backers, thanks to your overwhelming support, the scope of the project has increased considerably. It is therefore with some joy and regret that we feel the need to inform you of a change in the estimated release date. Until we get really close to releasing the game we don't want a specific release window, because we're not a publisher, we don't have to! Virtually nothing good comes from us releasing a date before we're very confident in it. Thank you for your understanding and stay tuned".

See how easy that was? Where's my mail? Why do I need to find out via a third party website that the project I have backed has been delayed considerably due to its scope (a scope that has been known since the day the KS ended by the way)?

This is not open and honest communication with your loyal backers. This is plain unprofessional and condescending. Sawyers' wording is the icing on the shit cake "We knew that at that time". Awesome. Why didn't you share what you knew back then? Why do I need to find out on Blue's News via a Eurogamer interview what you have known for almost a year and a half?

No, Sir. I will be extremely hesitant in the future to back any Kickstarters since I will have to assume that they will once again try to bait us with unrealistic goals. I'm done with that. If I ever again back a game at all then it will be at WAY lower tiers than what I have pledged so far (I'm one of those crazy muppets who dropped $165 on PoE).

26. Re: Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash Feb 8, 2014, 18:21 CJ_Parker

Oh yeah. Those poor guys. So now that they can't blame a publisher, let's blame it on all the assholes who pledged too much, eh?
Simple fix y'all: Pledge less or nothing. The latter for me personally. I'm done with Kickstarter devs promising milk & honey and then making up petty excuses why they can't deliver.

It is becoming increasingly clear that they (not just Obsidian) have deliberately baited people with completely unrealistic release dates in order to make people pledge more since naturally more people are inclined to pledge if the release date is at least within tangible reach.

A very short-sighted move by these KS devs and not fair towards their more honest brethren. Delays of high profile KS games will hurt Kickstarters in general since people will grow sick and tired of empty promises and delays.

Just for clarification in case some dumbass thinks I want them to rush shit: I don't. What I want is up front honesty and realistic goals. kthxbai.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $38M
44. Re: Star Citizen Schedule Feb 6, 2014, 14:20 CJ_Parker

Hanneth wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 11:15:
The early previews were mostly from Squadron 42, so we know that they have that at least some working. The plan is to have the full release early 2015, but still add more content and features over time.

Not sure what you are talking about and the Wiki you quoted is outdated.
The early previews were merely a demo in the CryEngine. It's called visualization. Chris Roberts and a couple other people made that stuff to show what Squadron 42 should look like one day. Everything in there was just mockup though for visualization purposes. It wasn't real playable content. Just a demo.

Development of the real Squadron 42 game has actually started just fairly recently (December) at Foundry 42, the Manchester UK based studio that is headed by Erin Roberts.
Of course they'll be using a lot of the assets that the teams in Austin and Santa Monica (and elsewhere) have created but they are starting from scratch with mission #1.

Also, there is not going to be a "full release" as far as Squadron 42 is concerned. Erin Roberts has confirmed that Squadron 42 is going to be an episodic game.
The release of the final episode is supposed to be timed to coincide with the launch of the persistent universe (most definitely nowhere anywhere remotely near "early 2015").
Foundry 42 just started working on S42 in December. I have very serious doubts that there will be a first episode in early 2015. On the other hand they haven't really committed to what constitutes an "episode" so if it's three missions at a time, well, then it might happen but I wouldn't expect anything substantial before mid 2015 at the very earliest.

News Comments > More Elder Scrolls Online Beta Invites
19. Re: More Elder Scrolls Online Beta Invites Feb 5, 2014, 11:49 CJ_Parker

Got an invite, too, but you know where you can stick it Bethesda? Yep. Right there. And far up.

Other than that: What Verno said. Sub-mediocre game sucks donkey balls so thx but no.

News Comments > Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman
20. Re: Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman Feb 4, 2014, 16:59 CJ_Parker

mag wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 16:51:
And they made Stephen Elop (the guy they sent to sabotage Nokia, so that they could buy it) the head of the Expanded Devices Division (which includes newly-purchased Nokia, Xbox, etc).

Seriously? Wasn't Elop the dude who suggested dismantling the Xbone division when the nu-CEO race just started? That is beautiful news if so because if they specifically put Elop in *that* position then it could mean that they are in fact seriously considering to take the fucking wrecking ball to da Xbone department with Elop at the controls.
There are definitely not enough tissues in this world to do my jacking off justice if that plan of Elop's came to pass.

16. Re: Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman Feb 4, 2014, 16:24 CJ_Parker

Oh, and everything and I mean e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g will be forgotten and forgiven if that Nutella clown shuts down the fucking Xbone division to refocus on PC Windows gaming. Honestly. I would try to crowdfund the most massively awesome blowjob this dude has ever gotten in his whole life if that became true. Like the Houston 620 with Nutella bro as Houston (well, and swap the guys for the gals... or maybe not if he doesn't want to... he straight or queer?).

Please. Make it so.

15. Re: Nadella New MS CEO; Gates Out as Chairman Feb 4, 2014, 16:14 CJ_Parker

HAHA Symantec that piece of shit asshole company. That's gonna do MS real well to have that fucking muppet replace Bill "El Presidente" Gates.

kthxbye Mickeysoft, 'twas kinda nice knownin' ya. Or... OK. Well, not really but even you faggots deserve some courtesy in the face of certain death muuuahahahahaaaa

News Comments > Brad McQuaid/Richard Garriott Kickstarter Cross-Promotion
8. Re: Brad McQuaid/Richard Garriott Kickstarter Cross-Promotion Jan 31, 2014, 22:55 CJ_Parker

SotA = just another quick money grab by RG so he can afford another space trip!  

News Comments > Beyond the Sideline Football Announced
4. Re: Beyond the Sideline Football Announced Jan 31, 2014, 22:52 CJ_Parker

nin wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 22:23:
All 32 real American football teams with their real players and current rosters.

That can't be cheap.

Yeah. EA holds the NFL license so these guys must obviously be somehow connected to that rotten apple which does not bode well for the whole bunch...

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released
54. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 16:28 CJ_Parker

ChaosEngine wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 16:19:
To the people who say NVidia can safely ignore Mantle, I think you're missing out on two important factors:

1. AMD chips are in both the XBone and PS4, so both of these will inherently support Mantle. As such it makes sense for devs to support it. If you were a AAA publisher and could get any advantage on both consoles and AMD pc users, why wouldn't you? That's got to be well over 75% of your market share right there.

2. DICE have implemented Mantle in Frostbite and EA have already mandated that all their studios are to use Frostbite.

Given those two together, it means that one of the largest publishers in the business is backing a technology that can be applied to the majority of it's customers. From a business perspective, I can't see any devs backing an NVidia proprietary solution. The only ones who could possibly pull it off are Valve (who are very cosy with NVidia).

Regardless of the technical merits of Mantle, it makes sense from a business perspective, and business decisions trump technical concerns. Always.

Dude, one more time: EA has purportedly received US$ 8 million from AMD for implementing Mantle support. They did not do this because they thought it would be cool to do or because they care about gamers. They did this for the $$$.

We all know how much the big publishers care for and love their PC ports, right? What makes you think that anyone -without being handed similar bribes- will voluntarily support Mantle? That won't happen. What might happen is that MS and Sony will specifically start bribing devs to NOT support Mantle on the PC version as they already do when it comes to keeping the quality of PC ports on the lower end of the spectrum.

Mantle is going to be a total niche that will only be supported by games where AMD coughed up a bribe (like BF4) or by indie/KS developers who want to support Mantle to attract some extra attention to their games.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released
38. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 13:44 CJ_Parker

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 12:29:
There's no reason to ditch anything if only a few games ever use Mantle. Without NVIDIA support a lot of devs just won't bother with it.

Eeeeeee-fucking-xactly . Heck, most publishers/devs can't even be arsed to dedicate half an hour to edit config files to remove console leftovers or make the UI scale better to high resolutions on the PC.
Anyone who believes that Mantle will be supported by more than a handful of games is delusional.

The only reason that BF4 has Mantle support is that AMD purportedly threw $8 million bucks in EA's general direction. It remains to be seen how many more millions AMD can afford in bribes. Looking at their financial track record I have serious doubts that the coffers will last all that long.

But without the bribes publishers aren't going to give a fuck about a proper PC version, let alone Mantle support. It's a pretty expensive marketing gag by AMD to boost their VGA sales but this shit has zero substance in the greater picture and will likely just die a silent death from lack of support and interest.

1569 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo