Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 2007 (Senior)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials
20. Re: Ubisoft Financials Feb 13, 2015, 13:31 CJ_Parker

Oh I see... nice one  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
18. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 13, 2015, 13:29 CJ_Parker

Don't KS devs in many cases ask for a budget that will allow them to make a case for investors (their bank) to give them a certain amount of credit?
Obviously Chris Roberts never needed to hit the bank or investors but Larian Studios only made about a million (dollars) and the game cost about five million (euros) to make. Or Elite Dangerous' budget is estimated to be in the double digit million pounds but it only made about 1.5 million pounds on KS.
I don't think it's realistic to get the full budget on KS (with very few exceptions like SC).

I do not know whatever a bank or other investors would require in terms of a percentage of the full budget to accept funding a project but I agree that a developer should always be very conservative with their estimates. It's definitely better to calculate 20% over the budget you think you will need and possibly end up having money in the bank in the end than running out of cash before the game is finished.
Unfortunately, I'm under the impression that many devs are doing the opposite and promising their investors the impossible just to get the or *any* money at all.

18. Re: Ubisoft Financials Feb 13, 2015, 13:13 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 03:47:
CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 19:19:
Please tell me they're not really calling their own games "opuses", especially the shitty and buggy one.

Oh wait. I forgot. They're Frenchies after all... *sigh*

The plural of "opus" is "oppai." Look it up.

Dude. No.

I've had Latin at school for nine fucking years and I'm the not so proud owner of the 'Great Latinum' badge. The plural of "opus" is "opera". It's a neutral word. That's why it deviates from the grammatical norm where masculine words ending in "-us" usually end in "-i" in the plural form. Opus is different because it's neutral so it's "opera" instead of "opi" (lol@oppai) which does not exist.

11. Re: Ubisoft Financials Feb 13, 2015, 00:35 CJ_Parker

clint wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 22:05:
Just last week I talked to a small crowd of teenagers who all bought a xbone because they believed call of dutys was exclusive to it. They had seen ads from the xbone announcements, no more research required.

Well, I sincerely hope that you did fulfill your PC gamer duty and killed them all on the spot, then trashed the Xbones.

5. Re: Ubisoft Financials Feb 12, 2015, 19:19 CJ_Parker

Please tell me they're not really calling their own games "opuses", especially the shitty and buggy one.

Oh wait. I forgot. They're Frenchies after all... *sigh*

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Physical Rewards Vote
12. Re: Pillars of Eternity Physical Rewards Vote Feb 12, 2015, 14:31 CJ_Parker

HAHA Obsidian those pussies... they're just afraid that their buggy and shitty game leaks on the web before the ship date and that many people would cancel their preorders.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Feb 11, 2015, 20:31 CJ_Parker

He's a fraudulent little fuck is what he is and I'm being extremely polite and courteous putting it as friendly as that.  

News Comments > Daybreak Layoffs
5. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Feb 11, 2015, 20:28 CJ_Parker

Trevellian wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 19:40:
All hope I had for EQ Next is smashed.

You had hope for EQ Next?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

News Comments > Molyneux's Godus Breaking Promises
7. Re: Molyneux's Godus Breaking Promises Feb 10, 2015, 22:01 CJ_Parker

You know I never had any real issues with Molyneux making wild promises when he was developing console crap for Microsoft or EA or whoever. Anyone who believed that stupid hype and bought one of his crap games without waiting for reviews or discounts or playing a demo really got what they deserved.

But this shit here is where the fun ends. What a complete fucking assclown to treat his loyal crowdfunding and early access supporters like this. Not to mention the irreversible damage that is being done here to the crowdfunding and early access model per se. Honest and hard working devs are going to have to suffer for this fucking retard's incompetence.

This quote here takes the entire fucking world's cake population with the "let's just say anything" part:
There's this overwhelming urge to over-promise because it's such a harsh rule: if you're one penny short of your target then you don't get it. And of course in this instance, the behaviour is incredibly destructive, which is 'Christ, we've only got 10 days to go and we've got to make 100,000, for fuck's sake, lets just say anything'. So I'm not sure I would do that again."

- Peter Molyneux

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Lost Contact Found
10. Re: Alien: Isolation Lost Contact Found Feb 10, 2015, 19:24 CJ_Parker

And the Alien's udders continue to be milked for every last drop.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
9. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 9, 2015, 19:57 CJ_Parker

The latest nVidia Tegra X1 is some very impressive tech for a mobile SoC. nVidia is currently working on a new Shield device. It should be interesting to see how that compares to last gen consoles. Doubtful that it will surpass performance of those just yet but it will probably not be too far off.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-prepping-shield-product-powered-20nm-tegra-x1-soc/

News Comments > Shadow Realms Cancelled
6. Re: Shadow Realms Cancelled Feb 9, 2015, 19:50 CJ_Parker

Rushing for the Episode VII deadline bodes very well for the quality of upcoming Star Wars games but it's EA so nothing new really Rolleyes  

News Comments > Star Citizen January Report; Funding Passes $72M
17. Re: Star Citizen January Report; Funding Passes $72M Feb 7, 2015, 17:08 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 16:42:
I said the same thing about six months ago: how could the money continue to flow in like this? Certainly by now, nearly two years on (as it was six months ago), everyone must have gotten in at the level they wanted? But a few people on that thread said they'd bought in that week. So I guess there are still people buying in, upgrading, acquiring new ships, etc.

Of course. That's why CIG have optimized their ship pipeline and taken it away from the Austin team to Santa Monica where Chris Roberts is residing to supervise the process himself. It's a finely tuned money making machine by now. They start selling ships at the concept stage and regularly bring back crowd favs in the sales events.
Many folks have turned into ship collectors and just buy ships regardless of whether they have a real use for them. Like a "just in case" buy. Or they get peer pressure'd into buying. Can't let someone else have something you don't have. It has definitely all turned into some kind of Monopoly meta game where people compete over $$$ spent.

The average "pledge" out of a pool of 748,536 people is at $96.46 right now so given an undoubtedly high number of entry level pledges, it's easy to imagine that on the other side of the spectrum, many people have built fleets worth thousands of dollars over the past 26 months. And those are the ones buying every single (concept) ship sight unseen the moment it hits the store.

News Comments > PC Assassin's Creed Rogue Next Month
21. Re: PC Assassin's Creed Rogue Next Month Feb 6, 2015, 18:22 CJ_Parker

Sounds great once again. Maybe I'll actually get it Xmas this year, even if it's still 19.99 by then and not 9.99 .
You've definitely made me curious about that one tough kill. So far, the hardest thing in all the games was (spoiler text ahead for the uninitiated - highlight to read) losing Lucy IMHO, even if you did not actively kill her but just watch a cutscene.
Glad to hear the story is pretty engaging in Rogue. Ubi has done an amazing job bringing all these characters to life in the whole series. Likable or not, they all have personality and an almost physical presence, and with the quality of (facial) animations since AC3, the digital actors are now almost on par with real actors live acting.

19. Re: PC Assassin's Creed Rogue Next Month Feb 6, 2015, 13:33 CJ_Parker

Ecthelion wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 09:08:
The best part of the game is honestly the main character. I found Shay more believable than past protagonists

Sounds good though I have to say that I really liked badass Kenway. I also liked Haytham (the short part in AC3) and Ezio, indifferent about Altair but Connor was horrible. They should have portrayed him as a proud American native but instead he was like a whiny little bitch all game long.

... and this time around most of the targets you assassinate are assholes that deserved it (which is often not the case), with one HUGE exception that you'll probably have mixed feelings about.

Looking at the series as a whole, there has always been this underlying morality thing where it's never crystal clear whether the Assassins or the Templars are the good guys or the bad guys. Altair has also had his fair share of kills where it made you wonder if you did the right thing (not that you ever had a choice if you wanted to progress the main plot).
I actually enjoyed the "two sides to every story" bits that you got from the Animus-style deathbed talks sometimes.
Nothing wrong with killing real assholes for a change, of course, but I hope they won't totally drop the shades of gray thing in favor of a black/white scheme.

It was fun to play a Templar for a change, and the modern-day story was slightly less stupid than Black Flag's (which was already a big improvement over the AC1-3 Desmond conspiracy-theory bullshit that a 5th grader could have written). I definitely recommend it.

Yep, the Desmond Miles plot was a pretty wild mix of Illuminati and conspiracy theory stuff but for a video game plot, I still thought it was kinda fun most of the time. Besides operating underground from that Italian villa had a certain style and atmosphere. Also loved Shaun that nerdy nutter. Always good for a laugh.
I was definitely slightly saddened to see DM (and as always excellent Nolan North) exit the stage for good.
And did Black Flag even have a real world story? New Abstergo employee goes to work, plays around with the Kenway-Animus and snoops around some old and future plans of the company. End of story. Right?
Seems like Ubi did not have much of a plan past DM except killing him off and... yes... and what?

Anyway, thanks for the impressions. I'm definitely looking forward to Rogue some time next year. Going to play Rogue first, then Unity.

5. Re: PC Assassin's Creed Rogue Next Month Feb 5, 2015, 20:16 CJ_Parker

Bundy wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 20:01:
I am. Won't buy at full price though. But I'll still get it, probably Steam summer sale.

Same here but Xmas sale 2016 for me when it's 9.99 or less hopefully.

9. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 5, 2015, 11:37 CJ_Parker

The backer beta was released August 18, 2014 and AFAIK is only available for backers who pledged north of $110.
If you pledged less than $110, you're not supposed to have any kind of key (yet).
You're not really missing out though. The backer beta is so-so to put it friendly.

6. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 5, 2015, 10:33 CJ_Parker

I'm not giving them another penny in advance after how they have failed to properly communicate PoE delays to the backers first. If they don't give a shit about their backers, I'm not giving a shit about them.
I'll be getting the PoE expansion for free due to my pledge level. A possible PoE 2 will be a bargain bin purchase sub $9.99 at most for me.

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews Feb 4, 2015, 13:23 CJ_Parker

descender wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 13:20:
Combat is mindless

/boggle. I can't fathom reviewers that obviously play on easy and then complain the game was too easy.

Or maybe they have skill and you don't!

News Comments > Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics
4. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 10:08 CJ_Parker

Fuck consoles!  

2007 Comments. 101 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo