Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 2196 (Senior)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
59. Re: Op Ed Jul 19, 2015, 02:37 CJ_Parker

NKD wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 01:50:
If you've got some LTI ship packages you can offload them (most likely for a profit) there, either yourself, or using a middleman like that Kane guy who advertises there. (I've used him personally because I didn't have time to bump a thread, etc.)

Do you still have to give the middleman guy your account password so he can verify you really own what you want to sell? I don't get why people do that.

Anyway, if you're selling you're always in the better position. Just put the ships on eBay and use PayPal. Only transfer (gift) the ship after full reception of the funds and make sure to withdraw the PayPal money to your bank account immediately. What can go wrong? Right. Nothing.
The buyer bears all the risk here if you would not transfer. But since you're honest and probably have an eBay account in good standing with hopefully 100% positive ratings the buyer has nothing to fear.
The only thing that sucks slightly is eBay's fees but you're paying that middleman clown fees, too (who, by the way, might sell your account password and e-mail address combination to hacker groups for additional profit... no, not to hack into your SC account, of course, but they might try it -or variations of the PW- via brute force on other games and online services so you won't even realize it is related... they're not stupid).
Of course, you could temp change your PW for the middleman but I still would not risk it. You're giving away way too many private details if the guy snoops around your account.

I have personally eBay'ed several LTI ships/packages and had no issues because, as I said, as the seller I call the shots and dictate under which circumstances (full reception of the funds) the transaction takes place. Take screenshots of the gifting process to be on the even safer side. I made about +100% profit on most sales so I about doubled my investment. Sometimes a little less, sometimes more.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Fallout 4 Website
10. Re: Fallout 4 Website Jul 18, 2015, 22:42 CJ_Parker

Kxmode wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 22:36:
PHJF wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 22:02:
"Wait until your bit before you start screaming."

Wait until my bit does what? The suspense is killing me!

Australia doesn't have good sayings.

There's prolly no time to give a fuck about apostrophes, spelling and grammar if you're bit by an Aussie nasty.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Website
9. Re: Fallout 4 Website Jul 18, 2015, 22:39 CJ_Parker

J wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 21:33:
Is this the thread for complaining about Xbone graphics?

If at all possible, every single thread should be used to crap abundantly all over the Xbone.

News Comments > Op Ed
49. Re: Op Ed Jul 18, 2015, 13:29 CJ_Parker

LurkerLito wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 10:29:
It sounds like CIG is suppose to release something in 2 weeks or so they say. It'll be interesting to see what they put out. For some reason I can't stop thinking they are desperate to quiet the distension among the backers and are working in crunch time conditions to get it out as fast as possible.

?

It's no secret that they are hard at work on Star Marine, the FPS module. You can read about the latest weekly status update here.
It seems to me they are just trying to find excuses now to delay until Gamescom so they can get lots of PR when releasing Star Marine at their event.

I more interested about this bit in the article:
These reports range from rapidly dwindling funds left to see the project to completion; to a new report that SQ42 is almost a year away if they don’t reduce the scope, and that it is now going to be an episodic game, in which the first episode (about 3hrs long without cut-scenes) is free, while future episodes are going to be paid DLC.
They absolutely did not mention or even imply the single player portion of the game was episodic requiring payment to get anything past the first episode. If they did even imply that during the KS time I would never have backed it. Episodic means it'll never be finished. I don't think I have ever seen a game that was labeled "episodic" finished.

The episodic release format is unfortunately correct but there is no way that they are going to charge us backers for episodes beyond #1. Squadron 42 is supposed to become a full commercial release, i.e. a $50 to $60 game which will naturally also cover all episodes at that price.
Other plans remain to be seen. The article is probably referring to a model where non-backers(!) would be able to download the first episode of Squadron 42 as a free-to-play game or maybe just the intro to the first episode because Christ Roberts once said that the 1st episode of S42 was supposed to become bigger than many full game releases (at three hours that would be a pretty blatant lie). It is also possible that their plan is a timed three hour trial version.

Whatever it may be... as backers we're getting all episodes for free and if you've been an early backer you're also getting the first expansion/"mission disk" (Behind Enemy Lines) for free, too.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
25. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jul 18, 2015, 01:16 CJ_Parker

Thanks to lame-ass current gen consoles (especially Xbone), you might as well scratch "blown away" from your vocabulary for cross platform games. It just won't happen for another few years and given the trend of < $400 consoles the next gen won't blow anyone away either. We're stuck in incremental hell.

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Jul 17, 2015, 21:16 CJ_Parker

CDWarden wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 21:03:
I'm not a backer of SC, nor a supporter so I don't think I qualify as a SC "white knight". Even still, this tirade of Smart's is just baffling. He's upset because it is "vaporware"? Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't SC only been in active development for about 2 years, maybe 3? and doesn't your average AAA level title take ... around 4-5? am I wrong?

If Smart thinks that a game of this magnitude can be done in 2 years, and any longer is "vaporware" maybe that explains why all of his projects have been colossal and legendary turds.

You are also shifting the blame in unreasonable fashion. The only person who seems to not know that making games takes time is the man himself, Christ Roberts. He is the one who came up with unrealistic dates and who -against better knowledge (unless he really is totally retarded)- keeps on pumping out unrealistic dates during his live presentations etc.

According to Roberts, Squadron 42 is still scheduled for release by the end of this year and the commercial release of the PU (with 100+ star systems) for next year. Both will not happen. I can guarantee that just by looking at the monthly reports and other indications of the project's status.

The problem is not people's expectations. Many people perfectly understand that making games of this scope takes time. The problem is the sleazy snake oil used car salesman style of Christ Roberts who -against better knowledge- chooses to keep people in the dark with regard to a more realistic schedule and has even gone as far as promising that more money would help get things done faster.
It is clear as day that Roberts chooses to keep backers in the dark because he wants to keep selling ships for a game that people believe is around the corner, a belief that is specifically fueled by Roberts Himself setting completely unrealistic dates.

9. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jul 17, 2015, 20:45 CJ_Parker

Lorcin wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 20:35:
Ok so fallout 4 looks worse than modded fallout 3.

Aaaaahhhh and yet another mystery! Hmmmm... this is a really tough nut but maybe, like it says in the newsbit, this one ALSO has to do with the whole Xbox E3 Briefing thing? You know... console footage vs. a modded PC game while mods are not available on consoles? Could it be? Yes, no, maybe.... oooohhhh... such a tough one.

Could somebody PLEASE force bethesda to make a game with a workable cutting edge engine please?

What for? As long as people are fine buying low quality garbage toys for the living room from MS and Sony this will have to do. Even at this quality it probably won't even run at 60fps on the ShitBone or at least not at 1080p.

7. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jul 17, 2015, 20:34 CJ_Parker

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 19:42:
Lovely. Looks like consolitis has struck, and struck hard. That interaction menu with other characters...holy garbage.

Hmmm... very mysterious indeed. But maybe, like it says in the newsbit, it has to do with the fact that this was shown at the Xbox E3 Briefing?

Rhett wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 19:54:
This trailer makes it look fairly linear at points...

Wow. Another HUGE mystery. Or maybe, like it says in the newsbit, it has to do with the fact that this clip is showing early exploration, you know, before the game opens up and stuff?

What the fuck is this, guys? Is today some kind of "Internet Illiterates S.P.E.C.I.A.L Posting Day" or wut?!??

News Comments > Evening Interviews
5. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 16, 2015, 20:32 CJ_Parker

Lesnick keeps rollin' rollin' rollin' rollin' rollin' rollin' ...

What a bunch of retarded bullshit. What he is basically saying is no publisher with experienced producers would ever fund this because it simply is not feasible but thank God we have access to an infinite pool of slobbering fanbois who don't ask any hard questions and just toss over the cash.

/slowclap

Here's an idea, Lesnick. How about you idiots grow up and become aware of your responsibilities. You have a responsibility towards your loyal backers. We did not give you $85m to fuck around with and "challenge" yourselves but because we wanted a game to be done within a reasonable scope and budget and timeframe.
No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to burn every last cent. The game was originally supposed to be a $23m game with all the bells and whistles included (Chris Roberts exact words).
Fine, the budget has exploded beyond anyone's imagination so go ahead and make a $30m, $40m or even $50m game and put the rest in the bank for longevity and post-release content.

But why fuck around with this "challenge" stuff? Why risk the entire endeavor? Why not do it conservative at first and deliver a great $40m, $50m, whatever $XXm game and then keep expanding it if you want to challenge yourselves? What a concept!

Secondly, you have responsibilities towards your loyal employees, too. Why gamble with everyone's jobs to challenge yourselves? Again: Grow the fuck up and make a plan where you can be certain that you can keep your folks employed long term and keep expanding your crew slowly within the constraints of your budget.
You can't tell me how quickly CIG has grown to this 500 employee monster (300 CIG + 200 contractors) and opened studios left, right and center that anyone really has a grip on cost control here. Sounds to me more like "let's just do this shit and see how quickly funds melt, then react - maybe".

So how about not fucking around with your backers and employees for a fun "challenge"? You can do that with Chris' and Erin's money. It is very disrespectful towards your backers (at least the ones who did not think this would be an all or nothing gamble) to gamble with their money like this. And then to have the balls and effectively tell backers "thanks for being crazy enough to let us play this all or nothing gamble with your $85m because no publisher ever would" is rich.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Trial
13. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Trial Jul 15, 2015, 10:51 CJ_Parker

Dentorro wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 10:29:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 10:10:
Poor sales would be well deserved after what they pulled off with DA2 and their general business practices. I really hope it flopped badly for them but it probably didn't.

maybe getting good sales for a good game and some praise might hekp them make more of those

That's now how EA tick. Look at DAO -> DA2. Or Crysis -> Crysis 2/3. Or Dead Space -> Dead Space 2/3. Or the Command & Conquer series. Or Medal of Honor. Heck. With these jokers, it's hard to find even one franchise they haven't fucked up properly in spite of successful entries in the series.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Trial
7. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Trial Jul 15, 2015, 10:10 CJ_Parker

Poor sales would be well deserved after what they pulled off with DA2 and their general business practices. I really hope it flopped badly for them but it probably didn't.

From EA's Q3 earnings call:
This extraordinary performance was led by FIFA 15, Madden NFL 15 and Dragon Age: Inquisition. In particular, Dragon Age: Inquisition had by far the most successful launch in BioWare’s history, exceeding our expectations.

That said, I'm looking forward to trying out the free trial but no matter how good it may be, I'm not buying this for more than $9.99 out of principle. Releasing a free demo is nice but EA needs to change in many more ways before I'd be willing to spend more on their games than in the $0 to $9.99 max range.

News Comments > Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds
58. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 15, 2015, 07:59 CJ_Parker

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 07:42:
... but it's no secret that the game is considerably behind schedule.

Really? Where are Chris' and/or Erin's posts informing us about how the schedules that were shown at various events have shifted? I haven't heard of any official Squadron 42 delay from the end of this year yet or whether the PU commercial release is still on target for 2016.
So, please. Let's not kid ourselves here. They are in fact very much keeping this a secret so people keep buying ships. They don't want people to know the truth. They want people to believe they will be playing Squadron 42 in a few months and cruising around in their $500 ships in the PU's 100+ star systems next year.

Squadron 42 will most certainly be massively delayed as will the PU and they've long known it already. Open development, my ass. If they were open and honest, then they would announce the delays the moment they realize that they are not going to make it. The only thing that is open is showing how ships are made so people keep buying more.

38. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 14, 2015, 22:43 CJ_Parker

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 22:22:
My original pledge was the minimum - $37, I believe. I liked the video but realised it was a gamble. When Arena Commander came out and I played the game I increased my pledge. I did so again after seeing footage for the FPS and social modules. I didn't jump in with a massive pledge. If you did that was frankly foolish

Uuuhhh if he jumped in with a high pledge at the very beginning (I did that, too) then how was that foolish? Early backers like myself could not be sure that the game would even be made so it made perfect sense to show some serious support and help it over the initial minimum goal and also chase after some of the early stretch goals (you know, the ones that still made sense before all the feature creep hell took over).
I'd say that your approach was MUCH dumber. You pledged more (in the hundreds) when the game already had a massive multi-million $$$ budget and you pledged based on being shown pretty pictures at marketing events. You call that smart? Laugh2

Not sure about Kxmode but I haven't pledged since the original campaign (OK I got those $5 Gamescom trophies so I gave them 10 bucks in 2013 and 2014) and won't give them a single penny in advance ever again. If the game turns out decent I will gladly pay for finished(!) expansions but I'm all done crowdfunding (not just SC).

29. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 14, 2015, 21:19 CJ_Parker

Kxmode wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 21:02:
Wait a second. I sent them an email with legitimate proof showing how I was basically conned out of $930 bucks. Are they not going to look at my case? Is this their blanket statement to tell EVERYONE - including people with legitimate claims - to stop asking?

What country do I live in where this is legal? Even credit card companies don't do stuff like this. I was lied to multiple times by Chris Roberts, and I believed what he said. I trusted him at his word so much so that I was willing give CIG $930 of my money. Here's the thing, Derek Smart is a very wealthy person; he has millions. I don't, and yet I backed Star Citizen for 3x what Derek backed for and yet they gave him his "hush" money back.

I just want a refund.

Dude, if you seriously want out, then as someone else here said sell your stuff on eBay for profit$. But don't do it right now. Play it smart and wait until Star Marine comes out (according to Lesnick -FWIW- a matter of "weeks", not months). The current depression will turn around almost instantly when that happens and, unless they totally fuck it up, SC will be hailed as best game ever by all the noisy fanbois. That's when you sell because demand will almost instantly rise again.

You know how this works... they throw people a juicy bone and all of a sudden everything is peachy again. The SC crowd is so easily hyped, you could also try selling during Gamescom week when they reveal all the "new and exciting" stuff that will never happen at the advertised level of quality for the next decade minimum. That's when you sell. Some hyped up mouthbreather will bite. It's guaranteed with this game.

4. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 14, 2015, 19:32 CJ_Parker

Ben Lesnick has been on a mighty impressive roll of posting some incredibly stupid shit these past few months. It makes me wonder if he comes up with his retarded reasoning all by himself or if Roberts dictates this crap and Ben just plays parrot.
I mean just how stupid is this? What he's saying basically is if you behave like an asshole you'll be banned from the forums and get no refund but if you behave like a real motherfucker then you get banned and a refund as a free reward on top of it. Wow.

News Comments > No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC
10. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC Jul 14, 2015, 11:11 CJ_Parker

Linksil wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 10:09:
I haven't been following the game since I figured everything was up for change, but only 40 players? WTF are we back in 1999? Please this is suppose to be next gen... yet we keep falling short in player counts. I remember playing I think it was delta force with 124+ players on a 56.6k modem with no real problem. Maybe it's just map limiting... but 20vs20 seems really low to me when your expected to be in squads(5 right?) the whole time. Puts the game more towards a run and gun instead of a starwars battle sim.

As far as I have read and heard, the game does not even have squads anymore. Or at least the E3 press demo did not. I'm not sure though if they just weren't in the E3 demo or scrapped entirely.

Also, according to the honest E3 demo'ers (like Angry Joe), the maps like Hoth are supposed to be tiny (no vast ice world in this game... more like the inside of your freezer) so you're not really going to want to have more than 40 players in a game anyway.

This game is going to become the cash grab flop of the year. No doubt about it. I feel extremely sorry for all the preordering retards who still haven't learned their lesson from recent AAA releases. And this is gonna be a real expensive lesson, too, at $60 base game plus at least $50 for premium.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2015, 20:00 CJ_Parker

Cutter wrote on Jul 13, 2015, 18:51:
Also I don't know what the state of Warshington and Oregon's seismic requirements for building but they're hella strict in Vancouver. When we opened our first resto in 1991 we had to get the building seismically upgraded - which, thankfully, our landlord was cool enough to pay for. So you can't do any real upgrades or new buildings without the seismic upgrades and this was started out there 30 years ago. I'd suspect the Warshington and Oregon are much the same.

At least as far as Oregon is concerned, you suspect wrong (I know it's a long-ass article but it helps to actually read it Wink ). The major point of the article is that the PNW is not at all prepared for a quake of the "very big one" category. The quake itself is going to wreak some serious havoc and the ensuing tsunami is going to flush everything down the toilet. Here's some of the relevant bits on how quake-proof (or not) most building in Oregon are...

In theory, those who are at home when it hits should be safest; it is easy and relatively inexpensive to seismically safeguard a private dwelling. But, lulled into nonchalance by their seemingly benign environment, most people in the Pacific Northwest have not done so. That nonchalance will shatter instantly.

[...]

Across the region, other, larger structures will also start to fail. Until 1974, the state of Oregon had no seismic code, and few places in the Pacific Northwest had one appropriate to a magnitude-9.0 earthquake until 1994. The vast majority of buildings in the region were constructed before then. Ian Madin, who directs the Oregon Department of Geology and Mineral Industries (DOGAMI), estimates that seventy-five per cent of all structures in the state are not designed to withstand a major Cascadia quake. FEMA calculates that, across the region, something on the order of a million buildings—more than three thousand of them schools—will collapse or be compromised in the earthquake. So will half of all highway bridges, fifteen of the seventeen bridges spanning Portland’s two rivers, and two-thirds of railways and airports; also, one-third of all fire stations, half of all police stations, and two-thirds of all hospitals.

[...]

The shaking from the Cascadia quake will set off landslides throughout the region—up to thirty thousand of them in Seattle alone, the city’s emergency-management office estimates. It will also induce a process called liquefaction, whereby seemingly solid ground starts behaving like a liquid, to the detriment of anything on top of it. Fifteen per cent of Seattle is built on liquefiable land, including seventeen day-care centers and the homes of some thirty-four thousand five hundred people. So is Oregon’s critical energy-infrastructure hub, a six-mile stretch of Portland through which flows ninety per cent of the state’s liquid fuel and which houses everything from electrical substations to natural-gas terminals. Together, the sloshing, sliding, and shaking will trigger fires, flooding, pipe failures, dam breaches, and hazardous-material spills. Any one of these second-order disasters could swamp the original earthquake in terms of cost, damage, or casualties—and one of them definitely will. Four to six minutes after the dogs start barking, the shaking will subside. For another few minutes, the region, upended, will continue to fall apart on its own. Then the wave will arrive, and the real destruction will begin.

News Comments > Op Ed
53. Re: Op Ed Jul 12, 2015, 13:34 CJ_Parker

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 11:06:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 06:05:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 01:17:
Feature creep this back in... Player run servers. You won't because somewhere along the lines, plans on being a cash shop game creeped in without an announcement or plead from the community. With player run servers, that dream cannot be realized.

To be fair, the cash shop has always been part of the plan since day no. 1. They promised no subscriptions but instead PU and Squadron 42 expansions and the cash shop to keep the game running.

Fine but Player Run Servers were part of the beginning to. How can you have a cash shop on main servers and expect people to buy things if you could just go over to a player run server and get everything for free? Solution, get rid of the cool stuff and keep the crap. Typical.

Again, to be fair, they never claimed people would be able to run server farms at home and mirror the entire PU. The player run servers are going to be like Freelancer for you and a "hundred or so" friends according to Christ Roberts. Here's a pretty recent video where he explains stuff.

Sure, you could just use the mod kit and player run servers and fly around in the best ships with the best upgrades all day long with a dozen of your best buddies but where's the fun in that?
I don't believe that private servers will really detract too much from the competitive PU environment where the "real game" happens.

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: Op Ed Jul 12, 2015, 09:19 CJ_Parker

Kxmode wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 08:21:
The mods over at Star Citizen Reddit have put me on some sort of 9 minute delay between posts. They're really in lock down mode. There shall be no dissent in Chairman Roberts' new universe order.

The official forums are the same. Censorship Central Inc.
Anything even remotely critical either gets locked immediately or swept under the Concern forums rug. Concern forum = trash box. None of the devs ever looks at it.
In General Chat where devs at least occasionally stop by they all want to live in shiny happy Christ Roberts Holyland.

News Comments > Op Ed
35. Re: Op Ed Jul 12, 2015, 06:05 CJ_Parker

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 01:17:
Feature creep this back in... Player run servers. You won't because somewhere along the lines, plans on being a cash shop game creeped in without an announcement or plead from the community. With player run servers, that dream cannot be realized.

To be fair, the cash shop has always been part of the plan since day no. 1. They promised no subscriptions but instead PU and Squadron 42 expansions and the cash shop to keep the game running.
I have personally always been pretty unhappy with the cash shop. They should do a pure cosmetics shop (like Guild Wars 2) and maybe even keep selling ships but a cash shop is going to fuck up the player-run economy real good if trillions of credits are poured into the game on a daily basis from no gameplay related activity. Inflation will fly through the roof in no time.

Talking about keeping the game running: Even if they manage to pull off everything that was promised by 2020 or 2025 or whenever, the even bigger challenge will be to maintain this behemoth and retain players.

Just a few quick thoughts:

- They are going to have to constantly tweak and balance at least 50 (and counting) ships (including variants) in addition to delivering the promised regularly updated models of existing ships and all new ships
- Balancing, bug fixing and developing new content for the explorers
- Balancing, bug fixing and developing new content for the smugglers
- Balancing, bug fixing and developing new content for the bounty hunters
- Balancing, bug fixing and developing new content for the miners
- Balancing, bug fixing and developing new content for the garbage truckers
- Balancing, bug fixing and developing new content for the regular truckers (cargo haulers)
- Balancing, bug fixing and developing new content for the racers
- Balancing, bug fixing and developing new content for the pirates
- Balancing, bug fixing and developing new content for the space bus drivers
- Balancing, bug fixing and developing new content for the militia/police
- Balancing, bug fixing and developing new content for the ECM + command & control center roles
- Balancing, bug fixing and developing new content for the search&rescue parties
- Balancing, bug fixing and developing new content for the info runners
- Balancing, bug fixing and developing new content for the luxury yacht jockeys
- Balancing, bug fixing and developing new content for the repair ship crews
- Balancing, bug fixing and developing new content for the capital ship players who want to man various stations aboard a ship and have shit to do other than picking their nose
- Balancing, bug fixing and developing new content for the players who wish to manage/operate a space station ($19m stretch goal)
- Making sure the FPS stays balanced, fair and gets new content, weapons, maps etc on a regular basis
- Maintain EVA, make sure it is fair and balanced
- Ship boarding must be kept fair and balanced for everyone involved
- Keeping the private servers updated & fixed
- Keeping the mod kit updated & fixed
- Develop Squadron 42 episodes and sequels
- Keeping the PU universe with over 100 star systems and hundreds of landing zones and space stations updated, fixed, balanced etc.
- Develop new mission types, keep existing missions fresh and interesting and fixed and balanced

^ All of the above in addition to general bug fixing, maintaining the launcher, the website, the databases (ship specs etc.), keeping the store running and updated, updating the star map, the promised "Jane's" style ship encyclopedia and so on and so on and so on...

They are going to need a live team larger than anything that's been seen before in MMO history to make it happen, i.e. the cash shop must become the most smashing success in gaming history ever. It must basically top WoW's 10+ million subs on an income basis. For the record, SC has ~900K backers, not 10+ million.

Realistically it's just not going to happen. Sure, they can make stuff and release stuff "as is" and try to get away leaving it untouched for as long as possible but we all know that MMO gamers are a fickle bunch.
People are going to burn through content in no time. They will get bored quickly and demand new content or lament long overdue fixes (the forums will be full of "devs when will [fill in a ship/role] get any love???").
If stuff doesn't change in a timely manner people will leave. People leaving means less income from cash shop. Less income from cash shop means smaller live team. Smaller live team means even slower updates, fixes, balancing etc. which loops back to people leaving. It's a vicious circle.

So... even if by some miracle they get the full game, including every single KS promise and stretch goal going, the even harder part (impossible IMHO) will be to maintain this behemoth and keep it working and interesting for people. They are going to need a live team of epic proportions but will they have the income to sustain it? Extremely doubtful.

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 2015, 06:13.

2196 Comments. 110 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo