Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 2777 (Senior)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Previews
11. Re: Sunday Previews Jan 31, 2016, 17:29 CJ_Parker

It's a CRPG as much as Mass Effect which was also a cover shooter at its core. It leans a lot more towards shooter than RPG though. Sure, you can upgrade weapons and gadgets and so on but you can also do that in Battlefield which no one in their right mind would call a RPG.
At the end of the day what counts here primarily is the player skill and not the character skill or equipment so it's very RPG light.
Having levels or being able to upgrade shit does not make a RPG, Ubi.

Other than that I agree with Ars in so far as the beta is weak but it is actually not as weak as I expected. I fully expected to delete it again after five minutes but I've actually stuck with it for a couple of hours. It's OK for a free beta/game but I won't buy this consolitis garbage. I really dislike cover shooters with shitty gamepad style aiming and at the core this will always remain a cover shooter no matter how much they try to hide it with padding.

TL;DR Shit. Next.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Becomes Two Games Next Month
55. Re: Star Citizen Becomes Two Games Next Month Jan 31, 2016, 14:03 CJ_Parker

Dev wrote on Jan 31, 2016, 12:57:
Anyone know what melting/unmalting is and the tokens for it?

Sort of, yes.

You can melt pledge packages by refunding them for store credit and then you can use the store credit to buy something else. You will in some cases, especially with older packages, lose some privileges, however.

So lots of tards went and melted packages every time a new ship was announced. They changed their pledges like their underwear and now they are having regrets about e.g. not having LTI (lifetime insurance) anymore.

That's why CIG introduced unmelting now, i.e. you can look at a list of all of your past pledges and repurchase the package for the original conditions, i.e. for example with LTI. What I am not sure about is whether you also get the original price because many packages were a few bucks cheaper in 2012/2013 than they are now.
To repurchase an old pledge you can, however, NOT use store credit so you got to whip out your wallet and buy with real cash EXCEPT if you have an unmelt token (every account got ONE of these AFAIK). So you have a one-time chance to correct a pledge for "free" (store credit from melting) and then after that it's $$$ time.

TL;DR melt/unmelt is a system to further milk impatient and indecisive ADHD retards who jump on every new ship hype bandwagon

44. Re: removed Jan 31, 2016, 11:06 CJ_Parker

Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Jan 31, 2016, 10:35:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 31, 2016, 10:17:
Also, we were promised 50 missions WITHOUT the expansion alone. So they first need to deliver a 50 mission campaign (it is very unlikely that the first two episodes will include that many missions) and then a reasonably sized expansion after that and ONLY THEN are they even allowed to BEGIN considering the milkage of their backers who pledged early enough to get Squadron 42 *and* the expansion for free.

Designing single player missions for space sims doesn't take very long if you have the right tools. I used to code missions for X-Wing and Tie Fighter that were much more complex than anything the games shipped with (and way beyond what Freespace and Wing Commander ever contained). I probably cranked out and tested 50 missions in the course of 6 months, and that was on top of school and homework every day.

If the tech is done, 50 missions in 11 months is a cakewalk for a real games studio.

I know. You are talking about normal development studios though. CIG is anything but.
And with their self-imposed FIDELITY, they have painted themselves into a corner here. Just building the levels for the missions is going to take ages with the level of detail that they are aiming for.

For example, the first (or one of the first) missions is supposed to take you to a super-detailed HIGH FIDELITY mining platform that is several kilometers long. This thing has already taken them frickin' ages to build and continues to do so apparently.

So unless they front load the game by giving us three awesomely detailed missions (environments) and then just recycle everything over and over, they are going to have more than their hands full to ever get to 50 missions. Normally you will not want to have a noticeable drop in quality in a game, right?

I mean just look at the recent videos on YouTube, like the one where Tony Zurovec of the Austin studio talks a bit about the PU roadmap and how they plan to bring new systems (= levels) online with months apart because it is so much work with all the complexity they have piled upon themselves.
Unnecessary complexity if you ask me because there are clearly diminishing returns for all the FIDELITY. This level of polish and detail is something they should have done post-release of the game.

Or let us remember what is really happening here: Squadron 42 in its entirety(!) was originally supposed to be released at the end of 2014. We're now in 2016 and they plan to (maybe) deliver the first episode some time this year, i.e. a mere fraction of what was promised to be done by the end of 2014.
And once again: If you look at recent videos there is plenty of reason to doubt that they will make it this year.

A two years delay for only a fraction of the content is not giving me any confidence that they can all of a sudden somehow magically start cranking out those levels. Besides, they are going to have to go back, do more mo-cap, schedule the actors etc. etc. etc. - comparing this to doing missions for X-Wing or TIE Fighter, well, no offense, dude, but...

41. Re: removed Jan 31, 2016, 10:17 CJ_Parker

BadIronTree wrote on Jan 31, 2016, 02:46:
Just to clear the confusion....

EP. 1 is the normal Single game they said in Kickstarter...

EP 2 is the former Mission pack expansion that the early Kick starter people got for Free.
Instead of making some random missions like wing commander expansion... It will continue the story of EP. 1... (after the game ships)

EP.3 TBD a lot later

So if you have the "mission disk " in your account ... the EP2 is free

Well, those fuckers better make episode 3 free for KS (or initial RSI site) backers, too, because the Squadron 42 I pledged for was NEVER ever supposed to become an episodic release. It's not my fault and not my problem if they are too retarded to deliver a full game in one piece as promised.

So they need to rename episode 3 Squadron 43 or 44 or 45 or Squadron Rip-Off or whatever the fuck they fancy but they better deliver Squadron 42 in its entirety free to all backers who pledged before it became known to be an episodic game.

Also, we were promised 50 missions WITHOUT the expansion alone. So they first need to deliver a 50 mission campaign (it is very unlikely that the first two episodes will include that many missions) and then a reasonably sized expansion after that and ONLY THEN are they even allowed to BEGIN considering the milkage of their backers who pledged early enough to get Squadron 42 *and* the expansion for free.

30. Re: removed Jan 31, 2016, 00:05 CJ_Parker

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jan 30, 2016, 23:26:
Seriously though seems like a cheesy manuver to try and get anyone left on the fence... If any such people exsist.

It's purely for practical and marketing reasons.

Squadron 42 is supposed to finally be finished this year (doubtful but it might just make it) but the PU is not going to be in any shape for a commercial release for years to come.
So they are now splitting off Squadron 42 to be able to have a huge marketing-driven commercial release with all the Hollywood names on it and so on.
I can guarantee right now that S42 will sell millions just based on marketing the Hollywood talent, flashy trailers (CIG are the best in business at creating marketing media) and pretty OMGGRAFFIX.

With the MMO/PU they can then proceed to continue selling early access and stuff like that as soon as all the fresh meat has been baited via S42. "From the makers of Squadron 42" and all that blahblah.

From a marketing and franchise perspective this split is a very smart move by CIG. I would not even totally rule out that they might now go to consoles with S42 and then pretend like they only ever said that SC (the PU) will be PC-exclusive but not the single player game. They are well known for stunts like that by now where they go back on their previous word and then pull some semantics bullshit out of their asses.

News Comments > The Division Season Pass Details
18. Re: The Division Season Pass Details Jan 29, 2016, 21:51 CJ_Parker

Ooookkkaaayyy...  

News Comments > Try Star Citizen for Free
15. Re: Try Star Citizen for Free Jan 29, 2016, 21:47 CJ_Parker

Cutter wrote on Jan 29, 2016, 21:42:
Oh this is delicious....

So now SQ42 is a seperate episodic game you have to pay for? Ahahahahahahaha!

At the December livestream, we announced that Squadron 42 and Star Citizen will be split into two separate packages in the near future. To update on this: the split will occur on February 14th. Squadron 42 will be available as either a stand alone game or an optional addon for Star Citizen rather than be included by default. If you want to lock in both games for the lowest possible price, consider pledging before this deadline. You can learn more about Squadron 42, our thrilling single-player adventure, here.

FUCKING L O L!!! OMFG! I can't breathe I'm laughing so hard!!!

And what was it again they promised in their KS - that was supposed to be delivered Nov. 2014?

Real quick, Star Citizen is:

A rich universe focused on epic space adventure, trading and dogfighting in first person.

Single Player Offline or Online(Drop in / Drop out co-op play)

Persistent Universe (hosted by US)

Mod-able multiplayer (hosted by YOU)

No Subscriptions

No Pay to Win

So much for any of those lies. Ahhh man, I cannot wait to see the fanboys going into overdrive to rationalize this bullshit away. Hahahahaha!

I'm not a SC fan (anymore... and never was a fanboy) but it needs to be said that this split is only for new purchases after February 14th, of course. Everyone who bought a package with SC and S42 before that date will get both games as ordered.
Also, this has been known for a long time (since 2013) that they would make SC and S42 separate games at some point.

11. Re: Try Star Citizen for Free Jan 29, 2016, 21:26 CJ_Parker

Tumbler wrote on Jan 29, 2016, 21:15:
Haven't booted this up in a while.

Probably going to wait for SQ42 to come out before I jump in again. They said 2016...so should be any day now!

Haha if you keep up with development and look at the latest videos then there is PLENTY of reason to doubt very much that they will make it this year.

6. Re: Try Star Citizen for Free Jan 29, 2016, 21:08 CJ_Parker

smackdaddy wrote on Jan 29, 2016, 20:53:
queue the haters

Honestly I don't understand why there are two camps. One Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen.

Nope. The two camps are one Star Citizen cultist fanbois and two people with a brain.

But seriously as far as SC vs E:D is concerned that is retarded as fuck indeed. Star Citizen won't be finished for years to come so there is more than time and space enough for both games.

And for even more space sims, of course... speaking of which, it actually is quite disappointing that there is no true FreeSpace or Wing Commander or Privateer/Freelancer spiritual successor in the making. Star Citizen has gone full retard and is trying to be way too much at once so some dev should definitely consider doing a real focused space sim like the good old fan favorite classics.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 29, 2016, 15:49 CJ_Parker

Sorry to interrupt the commie cunt circle jerking but I believe it needs to be said in Amazon's favor that they are at least investing and not hoarding the vast majority of their profits.
Amazon's billion dollar investments are directly and indirectly responsible for a lot of other investments, new and old companies flourishing and literally hundreds of thousands of jobs coming into existence with lots of happy families, happy cats and dawgs and even smiling gold fish.

16. Re: The Division Season Pass Details Jan 29, 2016, 15:37 CJ_Parker

Slick wrote on Jan 29, 2016, 11:59:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 29, 2016, 10:30:
Think about if Bethesda had made the compound building aspect of Fallout 4 a season pass DLC. That's pretty much my reaction to most of these season passes. I'm not against season passes if they actually provide a lot of value. For example CD Projekt Red's season pass offers two legit expansions. The DLCs are free. THAT'S the way to do season passes. If companies are going to charge almost as much for a game for the season pass then they better damn well make it worth the cost, and as I see it they are not offering anything even remotely close to what they're asking for.

1) Imagine a world where Bethesda would dare to include ridiculous DLC in their games... Horse Armor ring a bell??

Horse armor was $1.99, dude. Peanuts and chicken shit.

3) It's always up to the consumer to decide if the content is worth it.

Oh really? Then what is your problem with $1.99 horse armor? Why is it "ridiculous"? It was a quest to obtain the horse armor item. The problem is...?

In this case, because no one knows what the content for The Division is, I find it hard to believe that you know something that none of us do.

Only 1/3 (expansion no. 3) is unknown. The other two DLCs are straightforward and everyone can imagine exactly what they will get.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - EA on PC Gamer Trust
4. Re: Quoteworthy - EA on PC Gamer Trust Jan 29, 2016, 10:21 CJ_Parker

Yeah Origin is the least of their problems. It's a decent gaming client. The real problem is the bullshit business practices surrounding it all like overpriced DLC, season/premium passes made up of cut content, retarded preorder incentives, poor game balance in favor of preorder/microtransaction/DLC items etc. etc. etc.  

9. Re: The Division Season Pass Details Jan 28, 2016, 23:46 CJ_Parker

Yeppers. Obvious cut content is obvious.  

3. Re: The Division Season Pass Details Jan 28, 2016, 19:35 CJ_Parker

What sounds compelling to me is to give this entire game a PASS and for more than just one SEASON!  

News Comments > SNOW Open Beta
2. Re: SNOW Open Beta Jan 28, 2016, 19:33 CJ_Parker

Informer

You know say Daddy Snow me, I'm gonna blame
A licky boom-boom down

'Tective man says Daddy Snow stabbed someone down the lane
A licky boom-boom down

Informer

You know say Daddy Snow me, I'm gonna blame
A licky boom-boom down

'Tective man says Daddy Snow stabbed someone down the lane
A licky boom-boom down

News Comments > EA Financials
1. Re: EA Financials Jan 28, 2016, 18:42 CJ_Parker

A big list of nope.

Also, the PC is dying (again).

Shit this fuck!

News Comments > PC Rise of the Tomb Raider Rises
26. Re: PC Rise of the Tomb Raider Rises Jan 28, 2016, 17:43 CJ_Parker

Cabezone wrote on Jan 28, 2016, 17:08:
A quick FYI, very high textures requires 6gb vram.

Maybe on paper like with ME:SoM but I've seen several (OK two) hardware reviews of the game and it was stated that even at 4K there is no VRAM issues.
The raw performance demands will drag the game into the 30fps region even with a 980Ti so 4K maxed out is not playable to begin with (as usual with most demanding AAA games... we're nowhere near "4K ready").

At 1080p the game is supposed to sit at just over 3GB and at 4K just under 4GB VRAM usage.

The GTX 970 with its 3.5GB "limit" is supposed to run into issues at 1440p though so apparently you do need fast'n'full 4GB VRAM for 1440p.

^ all of the above based on the worst case benchmarks those sites ran so the game will run even better and "juster finer" Wink in probably more than 90% of the in-game situations.

News Comments > PC Rise of the Tomb Raider Rises
13. Re: PC Rise of the Tomb Raider Rises Jan 28, 2016, 13:30 CJ_Parker

TangledThorns wrote on Jan 28, 2016, 12:39:
As much as I loved the last game I don't want to pay $60. I'll wait till I see a deal.

Waiting is definitely the order of the day for this game:

- To not support the exclusivity bullshit with a full price purchase
- Wait for the DLC and the complete edition
- Wait for the DirectX 12 patch (not guaranteed to come but very, very likely)
- Tomb Raider is going to have its 20th anniversary later this year... I'm betting they will have lots of specials, additional content and pretty big discounts then

JayDeath wrote on Jan 28, 2016, 13:23:
I just left the Steam forum. Apparently the game is now %10 off on Steam while those who preordered paid full price. Ha! Let the shitstorm begin!

Serves the dumbfucks who preorder right.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider PC Benchmarks Jan 28, 2016, 12:29 CJ_Parker

TL;DR AMD fucked it up real good once more!  

News Comments > Game Reviews
9. Re: Into the Black Jan 28, 2016, 02:50 CJ_Parker

InBlack wrote on Jan 28, 2016, 02:40:
Uhh Cj, you do realize DX12 works only on Windows10? You can't really call yourself anti-Microsoft and have that OS installed on your PC. Not with a straight face anyway...

This is part of the waiting game. I will take advantage of the free upgrade but at the last minute. Then play Tomb Raider some time next year or even 2018 probably when the GOTY sells for less than $10. Yeah I prolly won't pirate but buy it from a key site so I can get a stolen (or nVidia promo) key that no one official gets any money for .

2777 Comments. 139 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo