Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 2589 (Senior)
User ID 24408
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 25, 2015, 12:10 CJ_Parker
Verno wrote on Nov 25, 2015, 11:11:
Damned if they do, damned if they don't. They're being responsible and fixing it quickly, people should be lauding that sort of corporate behavior.

"Microsoft" and "fixing quickly" does not compute, dude. Division by zero. Your post has stopped working. Do you want to search for an online solution to resolve the issue?
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2015, 20:41 CJ_Parker
Simon Says wrote on Nov 24, 2015, 18:30:
Yes, but either way, I can't prove or disprove my hypothesis no more than you can prove or disprove yours because in their methodology they didn't even MEASURE VRAM usage.

I personally measure VRAM usage on my system all the time on a separate display. For example, right now with just the Blue's News tab open in Firefox we're at 387MB VRAM usage .
From my experience with a 1440p display and looking at the settings they chose I can only once again assure you that VRAM was not an issue in these tests. It's not possible. You'd need higher resolutions, higher AA modes and generally higher quality settings to push these games into the 3GB+ territory.
As I said and based on personal experience... with their settings they probably barely scratched/passed the 2GB VRAM mark in most cases.

We don't even know how the caching strategies operated with the different system RAM setups and if the VRAM caching changed as availlable system RAM and game usage of the 2 RAM pools changed.

Their methodology was flawed either way.

Anyway, the argument about using a card that would ( probably ) never bottleneck on this, or bottleneck the least, the titan with 12 gigs, thus making sure such a scenario doesn't come and taint the results, still stands.

As long as the GTX 970 did not get close to using 3.5 GB of VRAM there is no issue because in myriads of benchmarks across the internet you can see that the GTX 970 performs exactly as expected when compared to GTX 980, Ti, or the TitanX.
nVidia driver optimizations (i.e. the driver trying to empty VRAM quicker instead of caching) only kick in at about 3.2 to 3.3GB VRAM as testing has shown.
But once more: At full HD and with the relatively tame settings they chose they never got even close to the 3GB mark.
News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 24, 2015, 20:23 CJ_Parker
Hahahahahaha "forgetting"...  
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2015, 18:26 CJ_Parker

@NewMaxx: Good substantiated info there, thanks!

Simon Says wrote on Nov 24, 2015, 15:35:
Nobody noticed the glaring flaw in their methodology?

THEY USED A 4GB GEFORCE GTX 970 which is famous for having problems dealing with more than 3.5 gigs of graphics ram.

Ummm... have you checked the settings they used to run the benchmarks? They ran the games at full HD with high settings (never very high or ultra) and -if at all- very low AA settings like 2x MSAA.

I can assure you that they never even came close to hitting the 3.5GB wall of the GTX 970. Most of the games probably ran at under 2GB VRAM utilization with those settings.

Also, the number of games where you can actually hit the 3.5GB VRAM "wall" of the GTX 970 (!at playable framerates!) is still pretty limited. FarCry 4 and AC Unity and Shadow of Mordor and... yeah that's about it.

Of course you can jack up the settings in almost any game to give the 970 a run for its money but you will run out of GPU juice before running out of VRAM in the vast majority of games.
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2015, 14:31 CJ_Parker
Dude, not my fault you made a stupid blanket statement that MOAR RAM IZ ALWEYS BETTAAAAARRR AND IZ ALL NOOO BRAINZZZZOOORRR with a car/road ANALogy that came right outta someone's bunghole on top of it.

Welp, the article proved that more RAM is in fact sometimes detrimental to performance. It's all not quite as clear and no-brain-required as you made it out to be. That is all.

What is a no brainer is that it does, of course, depend on the individual piece of software with a game like Batman Arkham Knight taking the cake for shittiest RAM-eating console port ever.
That is the part you didn't even have to mention but you should have looked at the actual article before shooting an uneducated knee-jerk response from the hip.
News Comments > Morning Patches
2. Re: Morning Patches Nov 24, 2015, 12:52 CJ_Parker
Nah. Prequel trilogy + clone wars = bullshit. But it would be cool to see a game like this in the Episode VI to VII timeframe with the player fighting the remnants of the Empire with some famous rebel heroes pulling the strings in the background (mission briefings) or even showing up on the battlefield occasionally.  
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2015, 10:35 CJ_Parker
Darks wrote on Nov 24, 2015, 09:50:
What a dumb question, that's like asking if having more lanes on a freeway makes traffic flow better. Well of course it does. but it also depends on the game and how its written. So this is a trick question.

Well, dude, ya read the article? Nope. Of course you haven't or you would have come across this one here...

In our tests, all the tested games ran with no problems with “only” 4 GiB. In some games, it seems even to run with more fps with 4 GiB than with more RAM.

So the question is by far not as "dumb" as you seem to think it is. Less knee-jerking for you, Sir, lest you make yourself look "dumb".
News Comments > Evening Interviews
4. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 24, 2015, 00:07 CJ_Parker
Well, hopefully. I only had premium beta access for E:D but any early version of E:D I have ever played was lightyears ahead in quality compared to anything I've played of SC so far.  
2. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 23, 2015, 23:07 CJ_Parker
What "hurdle"? It's simple online play with multiple players in an instance, i.e. the very basics of a multiplayer game. They are now nailing this down. Three years in.
According to people on the test server it is crashing every five minutes and player numbers (simultaneous) are very low. Color me unimpressed.

We can talk crossing a major hurdle once the game supports ~100 players (or 50+ ships) per instance with several gameplay systems interacting with each other in (near) flawless fashion and the level of detail Christ Roberts keeps promising.

But this PU 2.0 stuff is the very foundation, the groundwork, the absolute least minimum and they are struggling with it...
News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 23, 2015, 14:06 CJ_Parker
Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 23, 2015, 12:13:
Since both the Xbox and Xbox One are basically PCs, think about it this way: how many 15 year old games work on a modern system without any sort of tweaking?

That depends on your definition of "working" but it's a lot more than you seem to think if we narrow it down to working = running. The vast majority of 15 year old games (Y2K and after) will run just fine out of the box on a modern PC.

The problems arise when you want to make these games run at higher resolutions on a widescreen monitor or play multiplayer with the original framework no longer being available.

So the tweaking usually only comes in when you want to run these games in a modern environment but if you can live with low resolutions and black bars, i.e. literally just run the game then that's really not an issue most of the time.

Things will look a little different if we go back another five years to the mid 1990s (where many games will require heavy tweaking because they were made for 16-bit DOS, single core CPUs etc.) but games from around Y2K or games released on the original Shitbox usually run surprisingly well even today.
News Comments > Saturday Previews
9. Re: Saturday Previews Nov 22, 2015, 03:03 CJ_Parker
MacLeod wrote on Nov 22, 2015, 02:32:
It is the disc version.

OK that was to be expected. Microsoft keep being too lazy and incompetent to bring the game to a digital platform, of course.
Well, then... fun times ahead for Amazon customer service since the game won't work at all on Win 10 and only with workarounds on Win 7/8.
News Comments > Saturday Previews
7. Re: Saturday Previews Nov 21, 2015, 22:28 CJ_Parker
MacLeod wrote on Nov 21, 2015, 17:22:
Woo hoo... looks like tomorrow, Amazon's awesome Black Friday week sales is going to feature Freelancer for Prime members! Now you can buy it, and pretend that Star Citizen is out.

(Seriously... that's really a Deal of the Day tomorrow... a 12 year old game... WTF Amazon.)

Is it the disc version or the digital version? If it is the digital version then this would be the first time ever the game has been re-released digitally. Maybe there is FINALLY hope to see it on GOG or Steam?

P.S.: By the way if it is the disc version you can trash this if you have already upgraded to Win 10. It won't work cuz it's a shitty SafeDisc game.

4. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 21, 2015, 01:54 CJ_Parker
Might have to do with this.

I'd love to see it fail hard. EA does not deserve success with this shitty game and the even shittier attempt to sell half the game for $60 and the other half for another $50.
What you are getting here for $60 is a complete joke and what you are getting for $50 is even more laughable. The entire content they are (= will be) offering here should be in the original game for $50 flat on the PC ($60 on consoles cuz of the retarded fees).

Unfortunately, the full Episode VII hype (and overpriced ripoff garbage DLC based on movie locations, characters etc.) is yet to come so this piece of shit might still resurface. Let's hope it gets double or triple flushed and stays down in the tubes!
21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 19, 2015, 21:19 CJ_Parker
I'm not narrow-minded. I am/was thinking this through from the perspective of an unwashed masses couch-dwelling console slob.

If you believe that someone like that will all of a sudden stop being a MS/Sony fanboi to buy a considerably more expensive Steam machine with clunky controllers and no Madden NFL, well, then that's your prerogative, of course.

It also doesn't have anything to do with tinfoil when I believe that Sony and MS will defend their market vigorously. Sure, crazy things happen sometimes like Apple's rise from the ashes but I don't think that Microsoft will let anything like that happen again in an area where they can help it. And in the console space they CAN help it.
They have a lot of leverage and market power to manipulate the market in their favor and make it very hard and especially very expensive for Valve to get a foothold in the living room.

Can Steam machines maybe carve out a niche for themselves kinda like Nintendo? Sure. Absolutely. Can they become a part of little Jimmy's xmas wishlist instead of a PS5 or ShitboxII in the foreseeable future? Hell no. Not gonna happen unless there are some really *drastic* changes with regard to pricing, performance, product/game catalog, convenience, and ease of use and so on...
19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 19, 2015, 19:31 CJ_Parker
descender wrote on Nov 19, 2015, 18:07:
How many more of those shit consoles are people going to buy when SteamOS will be fully fleshed out by then, serving up 25 years worth of PC gaming?

Kids have been begging their parents to buy them new consoles for decades. Why would this stop all of a sudden? There is always a new generation of 12 year olds lining up and camping outside stores to grab that shiny PS/2/3/4/5.
And there is also enough fanbois in either camp who will get hyped as usual and preorder new consoles sight unseen.

In the meantime, the performance issues on SteamOS will be worked on and fixed... more games will be released... more people will hear about it and it will be perfectly positioned to strike at the next generation of consoles. If you thought they were releasing this to compete with the XBOne or PS4... you've completely misread the situation.

Very unlikely. What is more likely is that IF SteamOS ever becomes a "serious" threat that MS and Sony will "take care" that the AAA publishers and prominent devs no longer make PC versions of their latest titles. Or, more precisely, make it technically impossible to ever port from DirectX to anything that will run on SteamOS.
MS and Sony (and the big publishers) have very little interest in sharing the market with yet another player. They will squeeze out Valve so that only leaves the indie market for SteamOS which is rather limited.

P.S. The Steam controller is fucking great, and most of the negative reviews of it I have read are from people who are literally using it wrong or simply not putting any time into configuring it properly. It requires hours of configuration and adjustment and then TONS of practice playing with. It's a completely new interface device that requires some effort on the part of the consumer... god forbid. It doesn't surprise me at all that the reviews are "mixed" because it requires more than 2 brain cells to operate effectively.

Ummm... so you seriously believe that Valve will have a chance to break into the couch market with a controller that takes "hours of configuration and adjustment" and "TONS of practice". Yeah. Good luck with that as long as their competitors offer controllers that are literally plug&play.
1. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 19, 2015, 19:12 CJ_Parker
There's also a bunch of Mark Hamill videos on CIG's YouTube channel if you can't get enough of Leeeeewwwwwkk.  
News Comments > No Arkham Knight Multi-GPU Support
1. Re: No Arkham Knight Multi-GPU Support Nov 19, 2015, 18:58 CJ_Parker
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 19, 2015, 15:40 CJ_Parker
OK, maybe it's different in the US but what they are charging for Steam machines here in EU is on par with Apple products. Premium prices except you are not getting a premium product at all. You could easily build a much nicer HTPC for a fraction of the money that Alienware et al are charging for their Steam machines.

If Valve want to conquer the living room they need to do a much better job by offering a premium experience for the premium prices like... $800 (which is already +100% of a PS4 or Shitbox) gets you not only a Steam machine but also Steam Link, two controllers and a VR headset. All ready to go.
Yes, they would have to initially sell at a loss but they are not going to crack into the couch market with all this overpriced mediocre garbage they have on offer now. Not a chance.
News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 19, 2015, 15:15 CJ_Parker
Slick wrote on Nov 19, 2015, 04:36:
ionno, the last 2 gens have had the Ti edition come out 6 months after initial launch, I don't want to end up getting the 980 version of Pascal when there's a 980Ti on the horizon. this should be the last card i buy for a few years, I can already run most things at +120 fps @ 1440p with the 980, but i take a hit in video settings, would be nice to get back to downsampling

This last gen was a very special case because we were stuck on 28nm for so long. AMD and nVidia had to get very creative in their product policies to squeeze out yet another optimized card on the same old 28nm node.

But now that TSMC and the GPU makers have made the switch to FinFET we will resume a much faster pace when moving from one node to another.
Volta, the Pascal successor, is already on the horizon for a 2018 release (10nm FinFET most likely).

I would not spend too much on Pascal and hope it will last because it won't. It might be better to not go crazy... buy the Pascal equivalent of a GTX 980 and then the Volta equivalent once that comes out but people who buy a Pascal Ti or even Titan hoping it will last "forever" will likely bite their own arses when a much faster Volta comes out relatively soon after.

With FinFET we're back to getting considerable performance leaps from one node to another and back to a much faster upgrade cycle (if you're a genuine enthusiast anyway).
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 19, 2015, 14:50 CJ_Parker
WaltC wrote on Nov 19, 2015, 14:44:
But, "SteamOS" may well have served its real purpose--to get Microsoft's attention. AMD did something similar with Mantle. Microsoft seems to have taken the "hints" pretty well and gotten itself back on track, finally, with a decent desktop GUI and d3d12. Took 'em long enough...;)

Yep. Windows 8's abysmal performance and negative feedback definitely had absolutely nothing to do with it. Instead, Microsoft looked at the MIGHTY SteamOS and thought "oh shit guys annihilation just rang the door bell... we better get our shit together real FAST before SteamOS bulldozes our precious OS market!!!"
2589 Comments. 130 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo