Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 1697 (Pro)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
2. Re: Saturday Interviews Sep 20, 2014, 14:06 CJ_Parker

Hahaha

Q: On a scale from jello to diamond, how erect are you right now?

A: [–]Ranger_FinPresident - inXile Entertainment

Carborundum

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Beta 2 This Month
48. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta 2 This Month Sep 20, 2014, 13:11 CJ_Parker

Slick wrote on Sep 20, 2014, 11:03:
shit, for a game without a good marketing plan they seem to be achieving INCREDIBLE FEATS OF MARKETING.

Yep. And CIG is using subscriber money for marketing so it doesn't even cost them a single penny.

43. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta 2 This Month Sep 19, 2014, 21:54 CJ_Parker

Haha and look at the other game. Even though the racing ship sale has not even ended yet, they are already working on more sales (of unfinished ships in the concept stage at that, since selling ships when they're finished would be too boring and too much of a gap between sales apparently):

Future Concept Sale Plans

The accompanying blurb includes this beautiful line:

Sales like this are what keeps Star Citizen funded

You know, because $53 million is barely enough. I mean Chris Roberts only said originally that $20 million or maybe $23 million max should get the project fully funded.
We're only at a little more than twice that number now so it's fully understandable that all wallets must be emptied IMMEDIATELY to keep this thing funded. HELP SAVE STAR CITIZEN EVERYONE!

Honestly, I had such high hopes for SC and now they are fucking ruining it with their fucking greedy monetization trip. Sales. Sales. Sales. Reveal. And a Sale. Sales. Reveal. Sales... ad nauseam.
I'm so fucking tired of this shit that words can barely describe how disappointing this is to someone like me who just wanted a new Wing Commander/Privateer/Freelancer *sigh*...

However, on the bright side, this makes me look forward to Elite Dangerous even more and I'll be sure to support them as much as possible while I keep auctioning off my SC assets.

37. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta 2 This Month Sep 19, 2014, 18:29 CJ_Parker

Frode wrote on Sep 19, 2014, 18:21:
Cutter wrote on Sep 19, 2014, 17:52:
I'm talking about actual real gameplay included. Not just a sandbox

You seem to be confusing "gameplay" and "linear story". I'm not saying it's wrong to want a linear story to follow in a game, it's a matter of preference, but that's not in any way a requirement for having "real gameplay". ED has plenty of gameplay already, with more to come. The story is up to the player, however.

Yes. Think of it like Skyrim. You can probably finish Skyrim's linear story in a couple dozen hours or so but then you have people who have 500+ hours on their in-game clock just because they enjoy exploring and doing their own thing in that huge world. Some of them might not have even touched the main story.
It's definitely not for everyone. Many people require handholding and a linear path to follow and they need a "purpose".
But for everyone who enjoys slipping into a universe to roleplay and do whatever and wherever adventure may take us, this kind of game is pure heaven.

News Comments > New GeForce GPUs & Drivers
47. Re: New GeForce GTX 980 & 970 GPUs & Drivers Sep 19, 2014, 16:38 CJ_Parker

siapnar wrote on Sep 19, 2014, 16:17:
Verno wrote on Sep 19, 2014, 15:29:
I'd wait for the 20nm refresh but to each his own
When are these prospected to come out?

No one knows. There are two substantial rumors floating around:

- AMD/nVidia might be skipping 20nm since TSMC has had so many issues with it
- Apple has booked so much 20nm capacity for their A8 (iPhone 6) chips that AMD and nVidia are going to have difficulties to allot their own 20nm capacities, especially at a reasonable price because Apple and Qualcomm (and others) are much larger 20nm customers than AMD and nVidia.

Both rumors indicate that 20nm might still be far, far away or maybe not coming at all.
Also, nVidia wouldn't launch GTX 970/980 now only to replace it in a few months.
I would bet that GTX 9xx is here to stay at least until around May (Computex) next year. Maybe we'll see the usual GTX 980Ti as a new flagship until then (GTX 980 is a great OCer so it's very likely) and of course the GTX 960s, 950s, 940s and all that mid/entry level stuff.
If 20nm will be coming at all in between now and mid next year then maybe a single high end GPU that is going to be priced beyond sanity due to the low 20nm yields (think 20nm Titan).

I'm not sure nvidia has even talked about shrinking the process...

Of course they have (note the year is 2012!). It's more than overdue and was actually expected for last year already. The problem is TSMC. They have been having massive difficulties with the 20nm node (especially keeping the costs in check) and/or were intentionally denying large orders from AMD and nVidia because they knew that they would need massive capacities for AMD, Qualcomm et al.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2014, 16:46.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Released
26. Re: Wasteland 2 Released Sep 19, 2014, 16:20 CJ_Parker

Anyone know what's coming up here? Like a roadmap? Is it worth waiting for some of the content updates (if there are any) since they might already be close?  

24. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta 2 This Month Sep 19, 2014, 15:56 CJ_Parker

These guys are awesome. I really like David Braben & co and their unpretentious (in contrast to that other game) attitude.
They are doing a great job on everything, very reliable, working like a clockwork, delivering stuff as promised, no major fuckups (yet) because everything is actually thought through (again in contrast to that other game) and well structured.

You can tell they have really put a lot of thought into what they can achieve within time and budget, what will have to come later and they have very clearly communicated on all of these points.
David Braben is generally very pleasant to listen to since he has a crystal clear vision and is able to communicate it as such.
In contrast, a certain other project lead of that other game does not really communicate but usually gets tangled up in long winded droning monologues that don't really give anyone a concise answer on anything. Perfect politician candidate. Speaking lots w/o actually saying anything.

Yes. Just about everything coming out of Frontier and DB is in stark contrast to that other game where the only thing that matters anymore seems to be fostering and cementing the monetization aspects.
The only giant mystery I still need to solve is why the fuck I was retarded enough to pledge almost 10x more for that other game than I did for Elite?

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Gameplay Video
21. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Gameplay Video Sep 18, 2014, 08:59 CJ_Parker

El Pit wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 03:20:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 02:35:
PHJF wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 22:22:
Sure hope the party size is bigger than 2.

What's the party size on Divine Divinity?

Oh oh, I played that game, but I don't remember. I'm oooold, so please forgive me. In D:OS, there are four people in my party, but in Divine Divinity... Not sure.

Divine Divinity was single character. There might have been a couple of very short episodes where a NPC followed you temporarily (possibly even just scripted) but other than that it was single all the way.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Survivor Mode DLC Plans
10. Re: Alien: Isolation Survivor Mode DLC Plans Sep 18, 2014, 06:07 CJ_Parker

Prez wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 03:48:
I really hate the "season pass" BS. Especially when they are announcing it before the game is even out.

Better now than after the game has been released (and maybe bought). This way I know not to bother until they release a complete edition.
I welcome the advance warning.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Free DLC
19. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Free DLC Sep 16, 2014, 21:41 CJ_Parker

D4rkKnight wrote on Sep 16, 2014, 21:31:
I'm looking forward to more serious RPG's like Wasteland 2 / Pillars / Torment

Dude, what's with the idiot's apostrophe there? Don't be an idiot. Be smart. Plurals don't have apostrophes. "RPGs" is the grammatically correct version.

With lots of love from your friendly neighbahh00d grammar nazi,

C.J. Parker

13. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Free DLC Sep 16, 2014, 16:54 CJ_Parker

Prez wrote on Sep 16, 2014, 15:52:
Very cool. A very successful kickstarter story.

Yeah though I think it needs to be said as a reminder that they went to KS when the game was, like, 80% done. They only did KS for some additional features and to improve the game in some areas. An extra layer of polish basically.
This was not a start to finish Kickstarter so it can't be directly compared to most "regular" Kickstarters that really start somewhere near zero.

5. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Free DLC Sep 16, 2014, 10:54 CJ_Parker

Quinn wrote on Sep 16, 2014, 09:53:
I was enjoying D:OS, but in the middle of the story another new game got my attention (Risen 3). I never really felt like getting back into D:OS after I finished Risen 3. :\ Risen 3, however, was fucking awesome and I continue to flirt with the idea of replaying it and joining another faction.

In retrospect, I think D:OS' blessing was the good (RPG) games draught this summer was suffering. It eventually really isn't that good...

Shuddupayaface . It actually is that good and you quit the wrong game in favor of a mediocre shitty game.

Also big props to Larian for an awesome game and an even better continuous support of that game with patches and free content. These guys rock da house!

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Elephants Trailer
16. removed Sep 15, 2014, 22:13 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 16, 2014, 12:10.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
10. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 15, 2014, 22:08 CJ_Parker

killer_roach wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 21:32:
The GPU that is going to be used in the Nexus 9 tablet is actually about as powerful as what was used in the PS3 and Xbox 360

Oh. So the GPU that is going to be (still talking about the future, right?) in the Nexus 9 is going to about match the performance of a now nine years old console generation. Alright. Thanks for proving my point.

It's not unheard of that mobile devices will be capable of "good enough" console-quality gaming, even at 1080p, in the very near future.

Yeah. If you mean games like Who will be a millionaire or other casual crap like that OK but no AAA title will run on a phone in the foreseeable future or MS and Sony would have delayed launching their new consoles until they could have put everything in a much smaller and more cost-effective device.
And for the record: Pachter said "any game" (not just casual) so he seems to be convinced we'll be playing like 'The Last of Us 2' in 1080p on a TV powered by a phone in two or three years. Riiiiiight.

Reality check. There is a real reason why consoles are pretty noisy and require high fan speeds. Just like high end graphics cards require lots of cooling power. We're most certainly far away from packing that kind of power into a device the size of a phone. Just like your Nexus 9 example, I wouldn't be surprised if today's graphical power can be put into a phone in about a decade from today but it's not something that will happen in "two generations" at the pace that Apple & co keep releasing new products (about annual).
In the foreseeable future a phone will not be able to provide the ability to process that kind of graphical fidelity due to limitations in power, wattage, cooling, space, almost everything. Those are tangible physical limitations. They're not going to be magically solved cuz Pachter says so.

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 2014, 22:16.

12. removed Sep 15, 2014, 21:46 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 16, 2014, 12:10.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 15, 2014, 20:28 CJ_Parker

“Now, if you have a Chromecast stick or a Roku box, you can. So why do we buy consoles? I mean, your phone will be powerful enough to power any game in two more generations. And, so, why buy a console? I think Microsoft actually knows that.”

That guy has got to be fucking kidding big time. Yup. A phone will render games as fast as a console in 1080p in two more generations. Totally gonna happen. Hey. Another couple generations and the phone is gonna swoosh by in the left lane and enable everyone to play at 4K@60Hz.

What a fucking n00b, man.

7. removed Sep 15, 2014, 19:41 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 16, 2014, 12:11.

1. removed Sep 15, 2014, 18:38 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 16, 2014, 12:11.

News Comments > MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed
93. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 15, 2014, 18:04 CJ_Parker

SlimRam wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 16:25:
Oooooooh Slim would be DANGEROUS with this kinda money!

I'd rent out a stadium somewhere geographically in the middle of the United States and throw a MASSIVE PARTY! Literally EVERYONE would be invited! First come, first 60,000 served. Party members would be given a hooker and some blow at the door, free of charge! I'd have a waterside built in the middle that you could ride as much as you wanted AND the "water" used for the ride would be 1000's of gallons of 'Olde English 800' malt liquor! There would be a giant disco ball hanging from the ceiling, lasers bouncing all over the place, 20 dollars bills blown all over the stadium as confetti and a giant pinata that looks like a ram and filled with weed and ecstasy bags that's flies around the stadium on a zip wire that you can shoot at with shotguns! An entire hospital staff would be on duty with a triosh center. There would be a motocross track built all the way around the edge of the stadium that anyone would be allowed to race anything on; ambulances or dump trucks, WHY NOT? It would be catered by 'Dairy Queen' because I LOVE me some damn butterscotch Dilly Bars! The event would last an entire weekend with 25 bands playing continuously through out, Flogging Molly IS A MUST! Towards the end of it, they would open the roof and helicopters would dump like 500,000 gallons of cherry KoolAid on everyone and the largest mud fight in HISTORY would commence!

Oh if only *sighs*

Goddammit dude. You've really thought this through. Big kudos for one vivid fantasy. Not bad. I especially like the part where all the drunk, stoned and drugged people are shooting the zip wire pinata with shotguns. Awesome!

News Comments > MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed
35. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 15, 2014, 12:07 CJ_Parker

dat d00d is one rich niggah naow  

1697 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo