Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 1457 (Pro)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gone Gold - Titanfall
27. Re: Gone Gold - Titanfall Feb 27, 2014, 13:32 CJ_Parker

Fuck this lame uninspired piece of shit asshole game  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
28. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 13:30 CJ_Parker

nin wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 09:08:
So, without going into details, I found out yesterday I've come into some unexpected money. And for all of 10-15 seconds, I considered buying an xbone (specifically the titanfall bundle).

Then I was like "na, who am I kidding? I'm not rewarding those fucks."

/cigar
/beer
/hookers
/blow

PC gamers 'round the world are pretty goddamn motherfucking proud of you on this glorious day, son!

News Comments > Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll
17. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 13:57 CJ_Parker

Illumin wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 11:47:
Well if people want to buy it then let them, but why would anyone want to buy a starter ship?

Lots of people just "collect" ships by now. They don't even care about purpose or usability. They just buy them.

Other than that I'm not really sure either.
If you decide to play (and finish) the Squadron 42 single player campaign then you will exit the campaign with enough credits to either afford an Aurora or a Mustang so I guess buying a starter ship in advance will just net you more starter credits.
Almost the same for someone who does not play Squadron 42 at all. They will start with the ship from their game package (lowest tier = Aurora) and the Mustang is kind of redundant. Might be nice to have a choice or sell either ship for credits but yes it's fairly unnecessary to have both starter ships.

Wouldn't this be your basic ship that you will be using all the time as a default ship when all others are destroyed?

Not quite the way it works. You're going to always want to insure your ships. Some people have lifetime insurance (LTI - veteran backers) and others will have standard hull insurance (SHI) that's good for a few months or up to a year is the longest contract I believe.
Now whenever you get blown up you respawn at the nearest space station's or planet's med bay with a new ship waiting for you at the landing pad as long as you got blown up in a "common" ship. The starter ships are definitely going to be considered "common".
There may be a waiting time for the delivery of a new ship if you get blown up in a "rare" ship (e.g. Idris Corvette). In that case you are going to have to revert to one of your other (common or rare) ships or rent a ship and run missions either until your replacement is ready or until you can afford a new ship.

News Comments > Risen 3: The Titan Lords Confirmed
4. Re: Risen 3: The Titan Lords Confirmed Feb 25, 2014, 17:05 CJ_Parker

hello newman wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 12:49:
maybe they do a tie-in with the gothic universe this time...

Not gonna happen. The PB devs have stated repeatedly that Gothic and Risen are two totally different entities.

News Comments > THIEF System Requirements - Mantle Support via Post-Release Patch
14. Re: THIEF System Requirements - Mantle Support via Post-Release Patch Feb 23, 2014, 19:05 CJ_Parker

Overon wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 18:51:
I hope that that picture is not representative of the level design in Thief. Because if it is, that's a disgrace and a step backwards and representative of console level design.

And that would be totally...

[ ] surprising
[ ] expected
[ ] shocking

News Comments > Risen 3 Images Leaked?
20. Re: Risen 3 Images Leaked? Feb 22, 2014, 23:19 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 22:39:
I thought the companions in Risen 2 were very well-done and more interesting than the companions in any of PB's previous games.

Aha companions, not characters in general. Now we're talking. But as you pointed out this definitely has more to do with there actually being a companion system in the Risens compared to the Gothics where there was no companion system worth mentioning. The few times an NPC temporarily joined you in the Gothics can be counted on one hand.
Besides, the only two noteworthy companions in Risen 2 were Patty and Cpt. Steelbeard for as long as he lived.
The cook was boring and only had a very minor role, the nose-picking gnome was Jar Jar Binks gone Piranha Bytes game (= more annoying than anything else for an adult player) and the tribal Voodoo guy & gal had similarly minor roles as the cook. Elric was a DLC-only character with a minor role as stated previously.
Nah. Compared to the Gothics' Xardas, Diego, Lester, Milton, Lares & co all of Risen 2's chars are as shallow as a puddle of piss.

... I liked other changes that PB made in Risen 2. Instead of having only a few armor sets that essentially signified your character's progression into godhood, Risen 2 offered a wide variety of individual armor and clothing pieces that let you better specialize in different skills and attributes.

Agree. Though I wish there had been way more choice. In the end it came down to wearing many pieces of the pirate preorder DLC for a long time and towards the end of the game there was the usual end game equipment. The game failed to force you to really consider your options. But it was certainly better than just one suit, no doubt.

I also liked the addition of skill checks in dialogue, something that was sorely lacking from the previous games.

That was definitely a neat feature in principle but just like many features in Risen 2 kinda half-assed in execution. For example the end of a dialogue line showing the exact number (=level) you needed in a skill was pretty dumb.

If none of the companions from R2 return in R3, I'll be disappointed.

I'm sure they'll be around or part of DLC as with Risen 2. Fun fact from a German gaming mag article: In Risen 3 we get to play a new hero and we'll meet our old hero from Risen 1 + 2 somewhere in the game.
Would be funny if the old hero is going to be a villain or possessed by demons. That would be kinda like what happened with Gothic 4 but now PB doing it themselves instead of being forced to watch what happens with their franchise.

18. Re: Risen 3 Images Leaked? Feb 22, 2014, 22:04 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 17:45:
Risen 2 had some of the most interesting characters of any PB game as well.

You're joking, right? Refresher: The Gothics had chapters. You were stuck in the same relatively small world from the first to the final chapter. Result: You met many NPCs more than once and you built "real" relationships with some of them throughout the chapters. It was also worth talking to every NPC in each new chapter to see if they had anything else to say or if they maybe even had new quests.

In Risen 2 you hopped from one island to the next and with maybe a couple exceptions there was zero reason to ever go back to an island or revisit any NPCs. The vast majority of the NPCs you came across were extremely shallow. They just served the purpose of quest automats.
To add insult to injury one of the very few interesting NPCs from Risen 1, the druid Elric, only made an appearance if you bought the Storm Temple DLC. And even then it was more than disappointing what he had to say and how minor his role was.

No, Sir. Risen 2 had vastly inferior NPCs compared to any of PB's previous games. As far as characters are concerned (and on a few other points such as lore, story, credibility, continuity etc.) PB has been on a very steep downward slope since Gothic 2 NotR.
One can only hope that Risen 3 will reverse that trend but I have more than serious doubts about that because the Risen universe is fucked ever since the weird change of setting and the plot holes from part 1 + 2.

10. Re: Risen 3 Images Leaked? Feb 22, 2014, 14:16 CJ_Parker

Cpmartins wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 12:16:
Same thing for me. Risen even continued where the gothic trilogy ended story-wise.

Wot?!? The only thing that hinted at Gothic's story was that the Gods left the world. Other than that: Where did Gothic have titans and titan lords? Where did Gothic have an all consuming "dark wave" that swept the lands killing everything in its path? Where did Gothic have an inquisition?

Anyway Gothic >>> Risen. Not even a contest. The Risens were severely lacking in inspiration, continuity, consistency, coherence, story, lore, creativeness and technical execution just to name a few of the glaring weaknesses.

I'll buy Risen 3 when the complete edition including all DLC is available as part of a Steam sale in the sub $10 region. And I seriously hope that it marks the end of this horrible series. PB needs to start fresh with a new universe and a more engaging premise in terms of lore and story. Gothic 1 was a masterpiece with the magic prison setting. Wish they'd get creative again and try something new for a new series of games. Please bury Risen, kthxbye!

1. Re: Risen 3 Images Leaked? Feb 22, 2014, 10:43 CJ_Parker

Leaked by the glorious staff of fan site WorldofRisen.de. The images were officially not supposed to be published before 2/25/2014 at 16:00 CET (currently UTC +1).
The site admin of WorldofRisen.de has fired nearly all staff as a result of the leak. Intahnetz drama at its best!

News Comments > Editorial on Kickstarter Communication
1. Re: Editorial on Kickstarter Communication Feb 22, 2014, 10:38 CJ_Parker

That's what happens when you lock up in an ivory tower and decide to only surround yourself with yes-men and brown-nosers. Welcome back to the real world, Schafer. You clown.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced
7. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 21, 2014, 20:18 CJ_Parker

Cabezone wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 19:54:
FoV slider is going to be in the final game. Currently you can adjust it in the hangar module with the cryengines console.

Which many not so tech savvy people naturally don't know about so they get sick as fuck from the default 55(!!!) FoV. And CIG could not be bothered to just put the default at 75 or 80 via a simple user.cfg entry in over seven months now. Why is it that so many devs always fail at the really simple and easy stuff?

News Comments > Irrational Games Closing
26. Re: Irrational Games Closing Feb 19, 2014, 05:17 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 04:17:
Infinite sold over 4 million units. Granted, the six year dev cycle makes that a bit less impressive but not enough to shutter the entire studio. For comparison, Tomb Raider and Hitman Absolution were in development for about the same amount of time and received about the same amount of sales but you don't see Square shutting down Crystal Dynamics and IO Interactive. It just seems like a crazy decision from Take-Two.

... spoketh the guy who pirates games left, right and center and then wonders why game devs are shutting down or rescaling like IR.
It's kinda like shitting your pants and then wondering why it's getting warm and stinky in your groin area.

Besides, from Levine's own blurb there it sounded like a Levine idea and not a Take2 idea to restructure IR. Even if it was a Take2 idea I'd find it hard to blame them. Levine is known as a pretentious primadonna ass clown so maybe it's best to scale his shit down some before his head explodes from all the megalomaniac brain sauce.
Besides #2 Levine's own dumb fault when he sold out to Take2 years ago. He could still be indie and just look for a new publisher if Take2 was acting up. Zero sympathy for that dumbass here.

News Comments > Evening Patches
3. Re: Hangar Patch 11 Feb 19, 2014, 05:03 CJ_Parker

These are alibi patches to appease the growing impatient masses who would like to see much more progress being made.
The hangar is still in horrible shape. Poor lighting and crappy overall graphics, shitty performance, no official AA support, common resolutions are still not officially supported, no options menu worth mentioning, nothing... and only a handful of pledge ships half-finished. The rest has been "coming soon" for the past nine months or so.

@Slinkycatz: The DFM has been confirmed to release "soon" after PAX East, not at PAX East. They are only showing a demo at PAX. With CIG's definition of "soon" it is anyone's guess when the module will actually come out.

News Comments > Blackguards: Untold Legends and Patch Next Month
3. Re: Blackguards: Untold Legends and Patch Next Month Feb 19, 2014, 04:55 CJ_Parker

$4.99 for me, including all DLC, of course.  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash
53. Re: Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash Feb 10, 2014, 06:14 CJ_Parker

Nope, they haven't and CIG -just like Obsidian- will not be getting any more money from me since they also utterly fail at communicating the bad news properly.
Oh, and God forbid you question the original end of 2014 release date on the official forums. You will immediately be attacked by a mob of Church of Roberts cultists, white knights and apologists.

The funny thing is that many people are seriously convinced that the game will now be released sooner rather than later because CIG will be working with their own net code from the beginning of the DFM instead of having to replace the originally planned CryEngine net code later.
I'm fairly sure those people will have a rude awakening.

On the other hand, Erin Roberts has revealed in a forum post that Squadron 42 is now going to be an episodic release so, who knows, if they only release three missions at first then they might make a 2014 date. They never said full game by the end of 2014.

As for CIG doing a terrible job at communicating the bad news: The DFM was originally supposed to be out by the end of 2013. After a long period of silence where everyone was hoping the DFM would be the Xmas gift, Chris Roberts informed the community at the very last minute on December 20 that there would not be a DFM for a couple of months.
Next, around Xmas or New Year's he talked to MMORPG.com and revealed in that video interview that the DFM is now scheduled for "March, late March, early April". He also said that when they'd get back to work in January they would do another assessment and communicate the results of that assessment to the community. That never happened. There hasn't been a single beep on the DFM since the MMORPG.com interview. Great communication. Not.

51. Re: Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash Feb 10, 2014, 03:12 CJ_Parker

Cram wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 20:02:
btw, no company keeps their audience in the loop as well as Obsidian has with Eternity. Not even close.

That is not quite true. Cloud Imperium Games rules all with Star Citizen. Now of course they got 10x the budget but it is still amazing what CIG has pumped out in the last 15 months.
The (almost) weekly Wingman's Hangar web show (every episode runs for 30 - 45 minutes) is now up to 55 episodes as per last week and they now have a second weekly web show called "The Next Great Starship" so that's currently more than a full hour of video per week(!).

Add to that a plethora of fiction and lore updates. Seriously, they must have cranked out a couple novels by now.
Then live streams, other assorted videos, the hangar module as a playable demo of the player's home base, "10 for the Chairman" where Chris Roberts answers subscriber's questions, "Ask a Dev" forums where devs answer to all fans' questions, concept art, polls, you name it.

I am a backer of PoE, Star Citizen, Divinity Original Sin, Shroud of the Avatar, Elite Dangerous and Torment Tides of Numenera and out of those Star Citizen is running circles around the other ones. It's not even a contest.

39. Re: Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash Feb 9, 2014, 06:26 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on Feb 9, 2014, 06:10:
Are people seriously complaining about not being immediately notified of delays?

Yes.

How long have you been playing games?

Oh. Couple decades or so. You?

9 out of 10 games are delayed, indie or otherwise.

Which speaks volumes about the lack of professionalism in this industry. Your point?

When a Kickstarter asks for $1 million and gets $4 million as a result of stretch goals, are you really surprised when the expanded scope results in delays?

If that is so then why are they not open and honest about it? Why not add a description to each stretch goal like... "The mega dungeon will now have at least 15 levels (+ 3 months development)".
It would be as simple as that.

And why do you even care so much about the release date? Do you plan your schedule around it? If the game is delayed, is your life significantly impacted?

Oh come on. You can do better than that, no?
As I have stated and I believe I speak for many KS backers: We are used to asshole publishers covering their tracks, feeding us bullshit and keeping us in the dark.
It is a pity to experience that many developers are just the same. In spite of the absence of a publisher there is no open and honest communication. There is the same shady tactics motivated by greed like "Let the stupid fucks believe in a 4/2014 date as long as the money keeps rolling in".
The issue is not the release dates. The issue is not the delays. The issue is the complete lack of up front and honest adult-to-adult communication.

35. Re: Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash Feb 9, 2014, 00:03 CJ_Parker

Cram wrote on Feb 8, 2014, 19:17:
The date, April 2014 if I recall correctly as a release. You can't change the release date after you start a kickstarter, you can not edit it. It is entirely feasible that they would have reached the release date of April 2014 if the scope of the project remained at the million dollar range. But what happened?

Dude, I think we all know what happened but thanks for the historical recap anyway. I have absolutely no problem with all that.
However, while you might not be able to edit the date on a KS once the campaign is running, you know what you can do?
You can send out project updates which are even sent to people's e-mail addresses so you can be sure it reaches people.
They have sent out 71 of these project updates as far as I can tell. The last one dating from 1/28/2014.

Where the fuck is the one updating us on the release date? Where is the one reading: "Dear loyal backers, thanks to your overwhelming support, the scope of the project has increased considerably. It is therefore with some joy and regret that we feel the need to inform you of a change in the estimated release date. Until we get really close to releasing the game we don't want a specific release window, because we're not a publisher, we don't have to! Virtually nothing good comes from us releasing a date before we're very confident in it. Thank you for your understanding and stay tuned".

See how easy that was? Where's my mail? Why do I need to find out via a third party website that the project I have backed has been delayed considerably due to its scope (a scope that has been known since the day the KS ended by the way)?

This is not open and honest communication with your loyal backers. This is plain unprofessional and condescending. Sawyers' wording is the icing on the shit cake "We knew that at that time". Awesome. Why didn't you share what you knew back then? Why do I need to find out on Blue's News via a Eurogamer interview what you have known for almost a year and a half?

No, Sir. I will be extremely hesitant in the future to back any Kickstarters since I will have to assume that they will once again try to bait us with unrealistic goals. I'm done with that. If I ever again back a game at all then it will be at WAY lower tiers than what I have pledged so far (I'm one of those crazy muppets who dropped $165 on PoE).

26. Re: Pillars of Eternity Slowed by Cash Feb 8, 2014, 18:21 CJ_Parker

Oh yeah. Those poor guys. So now that they can't blame a publisher, let's blame it on all the assholes who pledged too much, eh?
Simple fix y'all: Pledge less or nothing. The latter for me personally. I'm done with Kickstarter devs promising milk & honey and then making up petty excuses why they can't deliver.

It is becoming increasingly clear that they (not just Obsidian) have deliberately baited people with completely unrealistic release dates in order to make people pledge more since naturally more people are inclined to pledge if the release date is at least within tangible reach.

A very short-sighted move by these KS devs and not fair towards their more honest brethren. Delays of high profile KS games will hurt Kickstarters in general since people will grow sick and tired of empty promises and delays.

Just for clarification in case some dumbass thinks I want them to rush shit: I don't. What I want is up front honesty and realistic goals. kthxbai.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $38M
44. Re: Star Citizen Schedule Feb 6, 2014, 14:20 CJ_Parker

Hanneth wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 11:15:
The early previews were mostly from Squadron 42, so we know that they have that at least some working. The plan is to have the full release early 2015, but still add more content and features over time.

Not sure what you are talking about and the Wiki you quoted is outdated.
The early previews were merely a demo in the CryEngine. It's called visualization. Chris Roberts and a couple other people made that stuff to show what Squadron 42 should look like one day. Everything in there was just mockup though for visualization purposes. It wasn't real playable content. Just a demo.

Development of the real Squadron 42 game has actually started just fairly recently (December) at Foundry 42, the Manchester UK based studio that is headed by Erin Roberts.
Of course they'll be using a lot of the assets that the teams in Austin and Santa Monica (and elsewhere) have created but they are starting from scratch with mission #1.

Also, there is not going to be a "full release" as far as Squadron 42 is concerned. Erin Roberts has confirmed that Squadron 42 is going to be an episodic game.
The release of the final episode is supposed to be timed to coincide with the launch of the persistent universe (most definitely nowhere anywhere remotely near "early 2015").
Foundry 42 just started working on S42 in December. I have very serious doubts that there will be a first episode in early 2015. On the other hand they haven't really committed to what constitutes an "episode" so if it's three missions at a time, well, then it might happen but I wouldn't expect anything substantial before mid 2015 at the very earliest.

1457 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo