Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 2201 (Senior)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
2. Re: Morning Screenshots Jun 11, 2015, 10:38 CJ_Parker

Uh this is like the lamest, most uninspired piece of concept shit ever. They just blatantly ripped it straight from the movie and turned it into shitty cartoony graphics. The only thing that is different is that IIRC there were no (visible/identifiable) aliens on the rebel side defending Echo base. So they get 0.001 creativity points for including that guy with the three cocks in his face.

Oh. Wait. Hoth was super-cold and hostile to any lifeforms, right? So, unfortunately, we have to subtract 10 points for the dude not wearing any kind of hat or having any kind of cover over his face.
But there will probably be AWESOME DLC beaver hats for aliens with cocks in their face so they won't fucking freeze to death.

Seriously. This is going to be the lamest and most disappointing game release of this decade. I feel sorry for any moron parting with their $120 for this ($60 game + $60 premium). On the other hand... anyone who still preorders EA/DICE games doesn't deserve better.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Logitech's $400 Racing Wheel
3. Re: Logitech's $400 Racing Wheel Jun 11, 2015, 09:53 CJ_Parker

I could live with a PS logo on the PC version since Sony aren't treacherous little motherfuckers like Microsoft backstabbing PC gamers every two seconds. They're just doing their thing on the PS but have no real interest in screwing over PC gamers like Microsoft who are still pursuing their masterplan of eliminating PC Windows gaming ever since the conception of the first ShitBox.
So if the G29 PS4 version were PC-compatible then I might even consider it. But I'm not even thinking about touching the G920 with a ten foot pole as long as it has that Xbone crap on it. Yuck. I already feel like taking a shower just from looking at the disgusting little fucker....

News Comments > Logitech's $400 Racing Wheel
1. Re: Logitech's $400 Racing Wheel Jun 11, 2015, 09:10 CJ_Parker

Like fuck would I buy a racing wheel for my PC with that fucking shitty Xbone logo on it. I'd have to vomit on my $399 wheel every ten seconds. Thanks but how about the fuck no?!??
It's gonna be hard enough to stock up on a lifetime supply of barf bags for Windows 10 when you are greeted by some Xbox shit screen every time you do anything related to gaming on that OS.

News Comments > Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian
54. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 10, 2015, 13:20 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on Jun 10, 2015, 12:42:
Your reading comprehension is lacking. "Pays homage" is not the same as "from the makers of." If you watch the Kickstarter video, they actually give themselves credit for a bunch of RPGs but BG is not among them.

Uuhh... so you are illiterate then? Why did you skip the second paragraph where they clearly state "Project Eternity aims to recapture the magic, imagination, depth, and nostalgia of classic RPG's that we enjoyed making" and "At Obsidian, we have the people responsible for many of those classic games".

Seriously, I'm speechless at your lack of reading comprehension and your profound lack of ability to process information. Then you claiming to "offer facts" (more like grade A bullshit) while ignoring REAL facts presented to you is simply cute at this point.

51. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 10, 2015, 12:09 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on Jun 10, 2015, 02:17:
Obsidian never advertised themselves as the makers of BG, which is easily the most well-known of the IE games and the series that received successful remasters across multiple platforms. Here's another fun fact: The Icewind Dale remaster has sold around 45k copies on Steam. Pretty popular, eh? All those mainstream gamers really embracing Obsidian's legendary historical status!

I'm not going to address all of the complete additional bullshit you posted on top of your already very impressive pile but just to illustrate how uninformed you are... here it is straight from the Project Enternity Kickstarter website under the introductory "Welcome to Project Eternity" headline. It's literally the first paragraph on the project:

Obsidian Entertainment and our legendary game designers Chris Avellone, Tim Cain, and Josh Sawyer are excited to bring you a new role-playing game for the PC. Project Eternity (working title) pays homage to the great Infinity Engine games of years past: Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment.

Project Eternity aims to recapture the magic, imagination, depth, and nostalgia of classic RPG's that we enjoyed making - and playing. At Obsidian, we have the people responsible for many of those classic games and we want to bring those games back… and that’s why we’re here - we need your help to make it a reality!

^ so... yeah, Obsidian did not advertise themselves as the makers of BG or other Infinity engine games at all, right? Naaaaahhh. Not at all. Why would they? Rolleyes

It's also very amusing how you first started calling BS on SteamSpy and are now obviously using SteamSpy numbers to "prove" that IwD only sold 45K copies. Which is it? Is SteamSpy reliable only if it fits your agenda, Mr. Hypocrite?

As I said you're just arguing for arguing's sake, flip-flopping, and grasping at non-existent straws, all just because you can't admit you were totally wrong.

44. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 10, 2015, 01:49 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on Jun 10, 2015, 01:28:
I'm not sure why you'd think "mainstream" would mean anything other than "average Joe." That's pretty much the definition of mainstream. And again, if you honestly think BG, ID or PST hold any meaning to mainstream gamers, you're delusional.

Again: You started with the "mainstream appeal" so you'd have to defend your use of it and not I. But those games definitely had mainstream appeal back in their day (of course!) and nowadays they are "legendary" old school games.
There is a very high chance that mainstream gamers of today have heard about these games. A much higher chance than them having heard of a retarded sounding title like "Divine Divinity" (awesome game, stupid title unfortunately thanks to the retarded publisher).
So if a KS RPG is advertised as "from the makers of BG, IwD and PST", games which have sold in the millions of copies and that have a legendary historical reputation PLUS that have pretty popular remakes that were made available across a wide range of platforms including Steam, GOG, and even mobile crap like iOS, come on... no contest on ALL levels compared to the rather unknown dudes from Belgium with their poorly handled (by their publishers) international releases Divine Divinity or the Dragon Knight Saga.

Fact is that Divinity Original Sin had the MUCH weaker premise. The reason it ended up doing better in sales is because it turned out to be the much better game. Simple as that at the end of the day.

42. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 10, 2015, 01:16 CJ_Parker

Complete bullshit. First, you started with the "mainstream appeal", not me. That's why I put it in "quotes" in my reply, too. I thought you meant "mainstream appeal" in relation to RPG gamers or people interested in Kickstarters but you meant the "average Joe"? Really?
Then why did YOU start talking about mainstream appeal in the first place and why are you now trying to turn it around as if I wanted to talk about mainstream appeal of the average Joe kind? Are you mentally not feeling well today?

Secondly, compared to the real hardcore RPGs of the 1990s, the Baldur's Gates and Icewind Dales et al were massively casualized high fantasy RPGs backed by a popular ruleset (D&D) so yes they were the games that brought RPGs out of the hardcore niche to the mainstream (millions of sales across all of the Infinity engine games are more than proof enough for this).

No, Sir. I'm not sure why you're even trying to argue the fact that Obsidian/PoE is more popular than Larian/D:OS. We have track records, we have numbers, we have names... see my previous post. You're just arguing for arguing's sake just because you don't want to admit that CJ the oh-so horrible troll is 100% correct. OK, fine, keep arguing then but good luck finding anyone who takes you serious.

40. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 9, 2015, 23:51 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 23:02:
Also, D:OS was definitely less niche than PoE. D:OS had bright, colorful, cartoony 3D graphics and humorous, light-hearted writing. It also had co-op, which gained it a lot of media attention. PoE is a very traditional 2D CRPG with a much darker and somber tone. When it comes to mainstream appeal, D:OS is easily the more appealing of the two games.

Nope. It does not get more "mainstream appealing" than a high fantasy RPG "from the makers of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment".
PoE was definitely the game with much more "mainstream appeal" from a much better known developer with a much better known track record across many franchises including Star Wars and Fallout and individual "celebrities" on top of it all (Avellone, Urquheart, Sawyer etc.). Ask a random mainstream gamer "who is Vincke" and you're gonna get a "d00d r u high" stare.

Come on. It's not even a contest. It's completely ludicrous to suggest that D:OS would have more mainstream appeal than PoE and it also shows in the KS numbers (D:OS at 19K backers and $944K vs. PoE at almost 74K backers and just short of $4 million raised). We're talking a FACTOR OF FOUR with regard to both backer number and money raised.

13. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 9, 2015, 13:38 CJ_Parker

saluk wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 13:13:
I don't think it dropped in the charts because it wasn't good enough, I think it dropped fast because the market for it bought it right away - and that's kind of that. When you have a small enthusiastic niche market that's what you see. It will spike again, but smaller when it goes on sale. People like me with huge backlogs haven't bought it yet.

For comparison's sake let's take a look at Elite Dangerous, also a Kickstarter game. ED is certainly a lot more niche than a RPG like PoE and it initially came out on December 16th last year. It's been in the Steam charts for many weeks while Pillars which released much more recently on March 26th hasn't been seen in weeks.
There have not been any sales (except maybe the minor 10% new game discounts). PoE is a little cheaper (at least here in EU) than ED even at €41.99 (PoE) vs €49.99 (ED).

PoE - Released March 26, 2015 (Steam Top 10):
- March 29: Place 3 and 5
- April 5: Place 3 and 5
- April 12: Place 5
- April 19: Place 8
... and never to be seen again since then

Elite Dangerous - Originally released December 16, 2014 (Frontier shop and retail) and on Steam on April 2, 2015 (Steam Top 10):
- April 12: Place 2
- April 19: Place 5
- April 26: Place 9
- May 03: Place 10
- May 17: Place 7
- May 24: Place 7
- May 31: Place 10

10. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 9, 2015, 13:17 CJ_Parker

harlock wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 12:56:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 12:21:
Pillars of Eternity might have been a one trick pony driven by Infinity engine nostalgia. The game has dropped out of the Steam charts very quickly and hasn't been seen on there in weeks. It has become eerily quiet around that game. There is plenty of reason to be concerned about the longevity of the franchise and future commercial success.\

sounds like you werent around for baldurs gate, or too busy pooping your diapers to have a clue

protip - it was the same

then came BG2...

Protip: The Baldur's Gates were made by BioWare, not Obsidian. Just because some of the folks are the same does not make it comparable in any way.
Let us also not forget they (BioWare) had an established and popular fantasy franchise (D&D) backing them up and not some retard rule system cooked up by Josh Sawyer's crack brain.
Also, thanks for proving my point because due to the initially short lived commercial success of the Baldur's Gates Interplay and the Black Isle label went out of business. That's exactly what might happen to Obsidian, too.
It is common knowledge that many of the Infinity engine games were not a smashing commercial success. Those games were "tricklers" and accumulated many sales over time.
Since you don't seem to know any of this, I have to assume that you were the one pooping your diapers back in the day.

6. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 9, 2015, 13:02 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 12:33:
How was PoE a "one trick pony"? It was a great CRPG with a 90% Metacritic score and very positive user reviews. It has sold well considering how briefly it's been out and it will no doubt sell plenty more when it receives its first post-launch discount. It has a higher concurrent player count than any of the other old-school CRPGs (almost double that of D:OS) and a higher active player count.

I'm pretty sure Obsidian is quite happy with the success of PoE and is currently working on expansions for it.

They better be working on at least one expansion because they've promised to make it as part of the Kickstarter (yes, I know the expansion has been split in two). It will be interesting to see how well they (both parts) do commercially.

But I don't see a sequel being as successful as PoE. I'm perfectly aware that the game has gotten great reviews. That's why it is even more worrying that it has dropped off the charts in no time and barely anyone speaks about it anymore.
And whenever I read comments on PoE (from gamers who are not obvious Obsidian fanbois) then it's always along the lines of "yeah it was decent but...".

I know I might be completely wrong and that if Obsidian launched a PoE 2 Kickstarter in a month maybe they'd be collecting the millions by the dozen but my impression is that people have politely applauded them for bringing back the Infinity era but also that most people expect a lot more from any future games in the series.
The most common criticism was that the game was too old school in places (i.e. inherited the exact same annoyances and weaknesses that already tainted the Infinity games).
If you look at how fast PoE dropped off the charts, it seems like there isn't much of a following beyond the KS backers and who knows how many of those would back again or back as high as they did for PoE?

News Comments > GOG.com Deal Overload
4. Re: GOG.com Deal Overload Jun 9, 2015, 12:26 CJ_Parker

Meh. Still no X-Wings on sale...  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 9, 2015, 12:23 CJ_Parker

Dude. Too much info...  

1. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 9, 2015, 12:21 CJ_Parker

Good riddance. So maybe now Obsidian can hand over the writing to someone actually competent and not overrated.
Seriously, this has got to be a good thing because now they can stop being complacent by going "let Avellone handle it".
This is giving other writers a chance to step out of the shadows and into the spotlight. Ideally there'd be less personal cult in the future. Just deliver good stories. No one cares if it is signed "by Avellone" as long as the quality is spot on.

As for Avellone himself, I think it's a smart move. He can probably see the writing on the wall.
Pillars of Eternity might have been a one trick pony driven by Infinity engine nostalgia. The game has dropped out of the Steam charts very quickly and hasn't been seen on there in weeks. It has become eerily quiet around that game. There is plenty of reason to be concerned about the longevity of the franchise and future commercial success.
As far as publishers, Obsidian have bitten the hand that fed them for so long. If you piss and crap all over publishers as they did during their Kickstarter campaign then don't expect to get much work.
And Armored Warfare... one word: LOLZ

Avellone leaving the sinking ship makes sense. I'm betting he'll join inXile or just work freelance to better handle his many engagements on his own terms.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight NVIDIA GameWorks Trailer
4. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight NVIDIA GameWorks Trailer Jun 8, 2015, 13:52 CJ_Parker

descender wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 13:47:
They should just rename this nVIDIA Clutterworks. Or just skip right over that and go to ClusterFucks.

Adding shit no one wanted to games that didn't need it on hardware that can't run it. Great! Unless they come up with a new combat tactic other than "press the counter button" I don't think I'll be buying this... I'm pretty burned out on this fighting system after AC/Shadow of Mordor.

Dude. STFU. I, for one, am glad that at least someone gives a fuck about PC gaming and getting the most out of the superior PC hardware.
Big kudos to Warner Bros for not accepting bribes from Microsoft that would have prevented the PC version from looking better than the lame-ass Xbone version.
This is great stuff and I wish more developers/publishers would have the balls and the spine to give Microsoft the finger and use the excess PC performance for a better looking game.

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Jun 8, 2015, 12:43 CJ_Parker

I'm glad if Steam Machines and SteamOS fail hard. The last thing that PC gaming needs is more fragmentation and a quasi console competitor mole undermining PC gaming from the inside with more inferior hardware and retarded nipple rubbing controllers.
Sad as it may be but Valve is the last bastion of PC gaming. It is very concerning what they are trying to achieve with Steam Machines and SteamOS.
Microsoft started the same way with the Xbox when they had the idea around Y2K to bring gaming and entertainment to the living room.
And we all know how that ended up and how much they care about the PC anymore.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Gameplay at E3
13. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Gameplay at E3 Jun 8, 2015, 02:07 CJ_Parker

Vall Forran wrote on Jun 7, 2015, 23:45:
Ironic that Creston and Nin are the optimistic ones. You other fellas taking the BluesNews cynicism too far?

We're just being realistic, dude. E3 is all noise and zero signal. All flash and no substance. Fuck that shallow console garbage show.
It may be !!!AWSUM!!! if all you need is a flashy new cinematic Call of Duty (or Deus Ex Mankind Divided) trailer but good luck walking away from that stupid circus with any actual info. Not gonna happen.
And no booth babes is simply plain unacceptable and unprofessional. Fuck those anal retentive publisher clowns and their complete lack of humor in their change jingling pinstripe suits.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Gameplay at E3
3. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Gameplay at E3 Jun 7, 2015, 16:51 CJ_Parker

Man, I can't wait for e3! It's xmas for gamers! What's under the tree?!

Meh. You talking about E3 in 1998? Because today E3 is a retarded console advertising mickey mouse show sponsored by Microsoft and Sony for mouthbreathing game "journalist" dudebro kiddies who are easily impressed by flashy trailers.
The days where E3 had any kind of relevance for "serious" (PC) gamers or when any real tangible information beyond copious amounts of chest pounding came out of the event have long passed.
Gimme real information and substance but please none of this retarded E3 shit where "OMG everything is awesome!!!11".

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patched
21. Re: The Witcher 3 Patched Jun 5, 2015, 20:56 CJ_Parker

Just watch some of the excellent Witcher 1 + 2 story recaps on YouTube. No real need to play the games though both are highly recommended.
That is if you can ignore the shitty gameplay (combat is horrible in both games) and focus on the more important stuff like fucking all the chicas, the story and the choices & consequences and all that other crap that hopefully distracts you enough from the shitty parts.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patched
19. Re: The Witcher 3 Patched Jun 5, 2015, 20:07 CJ_Parker

Krovven wrote on Jun 5, 2015, 16:49:
I knew about the Pearls but I didn't know about the Cow's.

Dude. Come on. What the FUCK is that apostrophe doing there in "cows"? You know what that kind of apostrophe is called? It's called an idiot's apostrophe. And you know why? Because only a DUMB COW IDIOT would put an apostrophe where it doesn't belong.

And now feel free to thank me for some awesome free education (on a Friday night no less). Yeah. Don't mention it. I'm just helpful like that, man.

2201 Comments. 111 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo