Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 1510 (Pro)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Released
36. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Released Jun 4, 2014, 11:31 CJ_Parker

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 11:13:
So do you decide which loaner ship you want to try out or do you just get a ship whatever they decide you get?
It would be nice to try out a ship before you pledge the cash for it.
Not that I want to do that but it would be interesting to see/feel what the difference is in between a $40 ship and a $150 one.

I can only answer that partially. As far as I know for AC we get to fly the Aurora, the Hornet and the 300i (at first - they are going to add multi-crew ships as they become available). And subscribers get so called test pilot badges so they can fly the Vanduul Scythe as well.
Some people who have "only" pledged for higher tier ships get to play with a loaner ship since it would be unfair to keep someone from playing who has pledged $500 for a Constellation but doesn't have a smaller tier AC-included ship. Not their fault that CIG does not have the Constellation finished for this first release.
However, this is supposed to be an exception. There have been many posts on the forums "begging" for access to all ships to be able to test them but CIG has made it clear that generally you will only get to fly the ships that you have pledged for (again except subscribers who will be getting test pilot badges for certain ships to, well, (beta) test them).

Going by comments of Chris Roberts and Rob Irving this *might* change one day in the "finished" game in the far away future if you become a pilot for hire or go to e.g. one of the shipmakers' HQs or showrooms to test-fly a certain ship but as of now you are limited to your pledge ship(s).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Released Jun 4, 2014, 11:10 CJ_Parker

panbient wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 11:06:
Having said that it's nice that something is finally released. Though I find it concerning that someone with 32GB of RAM is complaining about performance issues.

What makes you believe that the game is memory limited? If anything it is CPU and/or GPU limited but definitely not RAM.

31. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Released Jun 4, 2014, 11:07 CJ_Parker

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 10:22:
Tumbler wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 10:19:
$5 for arena commander pass.
Why do you need that? I thought anyone who buys the basic $40 package gets Alpha/Beta access etc. which includes this AC module no?

No because they have run out of alpha slots some time ago.
AC is considered an alpha release so you need to pay extra for access if you have missed the "deadline" (I believe the cut-off was at 400K alpha slots).

26. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Released Jun 4, 2014, 10:50 CJ_Parker

1badmf wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 09:27:
really? communication is your gripe? as far as i'm concerned they've communicated the state of the game far better than any previous developer. who else would've made daily posts about the bug list until release? they really can't do better than that unless you're such a needy personality that you have to be personally satisfied even at the expense of actual work they have to do.

You have obviously not been following the development of this game too closely because what you're saying is sounding very uneducated.

First, there was the Xmas delay. Chris Roberts previously stated that AC (DFM) would be out -and I quote literally- "in 2013, no matter what".
Everyone was hoping that AC would be our Xmas surprise because CIG kept silent all the way until December 22 when Chris Roberts finally admitted that the DFM was not ready for release yet and that it would be -and I quote again- "a couple of weeks" before it would be ready for prime time. The -as is very obvious by now- bullshit excuse was that the backend (net code) was not finished yet. The truth is more like shit just wasn't finished yet all across the board.

This was a sleazy move to announce the delay at the last minute before Xmas. They must have known this much sooner but obviously did not want to risk stalling the final LTI sale (ships with lifetime insurance) in November and people's general willingness and ability to spend more towards the end of the year holiday season.

Then came the Xmas break and an interview with Chris Roberts around New Year's on MMORPG.com when we (backers) found out via this 3rd party site that "a couple of weeks" in reality meant -and I quote Chris Roberts again- "March, late March, early April".
I don't know about you but to me this is not good communication with your community if the truth slips out bit by bit via a 3rd party and not in direct statements/letters to the community. I mean he obviously has time to write lengthy letters every time another million dollars is reached so why not take some time to share the bad news as well?
Also, CR promised in the December 22 delay announcement that they would update us on the state of the DFM when they got back to work in January. That never happened.

Instead it took them until early February when we finally found out that the game was delayed to "shortly after" PAX East which contrary to the previous statements was not early but more like mid to late April.
This was communicated via the official Wingman's Hangar weekly web show so not a 3rd party but still less than ideal because many people just don't watch the show. They should have used the website or sent out a mail to all backers with the click of a button.
Then the game got delayed again to May 29. On May 28 Chris Roberts dropped the bomb that there'd be yet another delay.
Finally he at least had the sense to post this as official news though I'm sure many people would have welcomed a significantly earlier heads-up.
And they only started the daily bug news on May 29 so I wouldn't give them too much credit for that.

In summary they could have and should have done a much better job of keeping the community informed. There is a website with an official news section called "Comm Link" and they are able to reach all backers directly via a mailing list with the click of a button.
It also gives a bad impression with regards to honesty and openness if they plaster advertising and good news (YAY ANOTHER MILLION!!!11) all over the place but keep "bad news" like delays hush-hush.
Just tell us what's up and if/when you're unsure just give us "when it's done" but don't issue concrete dates if you can't keep them.

News Comments > DCS: F-86F Sabre Announced
35. Re: DCS: F-86F Sabre Announced Jun 1, 2014, 04:27 CJ_Parker

Makes me wonder how the F-86 is supposed to fit in. The way I understood previous announcements was they wanted to establish a modern day platform for the A-10, the Su-25, the Blackshark, the Huey, the Mi-28 and lots of upcoming stuff like the F-18 Super Hornet or the F-35 Lightning.
And the P-51 Mustang was supposed to be moved over to the upcoming WW2 1944 module, right?

So... where does the Sabre fit in? Are they going to work on yet another (Korean, early Nam) 1950s/1960s theater?

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Delayed
85. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Delayed May 29, 2014, 16:56 CJ_Parker

Not sure what some of you guys are talking about re DCS.

First, the entire DCS stuff goes on sale on a very regular basis, both on Steam and on their own site so you definitely don't "have to" spend hundreds of bucks.

Secondly, it would be foolish to buy all of the modules just to own them all. This ain't WoW DLC. Each module (minus Combined Arms which is a special module) is an extremely complex simulation of the aircraft in question. The Flaming Cliffs stuff like the F-15 is quite a bit less complex than e.g. the A-10, the Huey or the Blacksharks but you can still spend a lot of time learning to fly and especially learning to put all of the weapons and avionics systems to use.
In essence, you can spend months/years playing a single module like the A-10 and you will still learn new stuff every day.
On a cost vs time spent (or potentially to be spent) basis there is probably hardly any cheaper "flight games" than the DCS modules. Seriously.

Thirdly, on topic re the AC delay: Chris Roberts is an idiot. Project management-wise this is starting to turn into the same clusterfuck that was Freelancer except this time there is unfortunately no one who can degrade him from project lead to consultant.
Quite the contrary. It sounds more like he's even wishing to be promoted for being so awesome to share the news of yet another delay.
Remember when you said that AC would be "out in 2013 no matter what", Chris? Yeah. You're an idiot, man. You suck at managing large scale gaming projects. One can only begin to imagine how long it will take before your "vision" (hallucinations more like) will become reality. A decade, two? 100 star systems filled with meaningful content my ass... L to the O to the L.

News Comments > Steam Machines Delayed
12. Re: Steam Machines Delayed May 28, 2014, 11:31 CJ_Parker

Cancel this shit already, kthx  

News Comments > EA Still Investigating GameSpy Workarounds
7. Re: EA Still Investigating GameSpy Workarounds May 10, 2014, 14:19 CJ_Parker

"Investigating" = EA speak for "would you fuckers kindly forget about the existence of our GameSpy games already?!?"  

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order German Censorship Plans
6. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order German Censorship Plans May 6, 2014, 00:35 CJ_Parker

Fuck my country's retard laws! Yaaarrr matey! I'm a pirate dis fugger!!!  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
9. Re: Evening Interviews May 3, 2014, 07:37 CJ_Parker

shihonage wrote on May 3, 2014, 00:05:
Clearly you haven't been to my spiritual home, the RPG Codex. The Wasteland 2 dislike is strong over there, and we pity the outside world, for it has no taste in RPGs.

Your "spiritual home" is retard central so why should anyone give a shit if a few fucktards are unhappy about WL2?
As stated before the vast majority of gamers around the web seem to love the game so feel free to crawl back to your "spiritual home" and cry more, n00b! kthxbai!

News Comments > Wolfenstein Gameplay Trailer
7. Re: Wolfenstein Gameplay Trailer Apr 29, 2014, 19:11 CJ_Parker

nin wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 18:19:
I had zero interest in this when it was announced. But now, the more I see of it? I think it looks fun...

^ this... too bad the uncut and uncensored version is unavailable in my country (thanks a lot Steam region lock... NOT) so I'm gonna have to pirate this fucker!

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $43 Million
67. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 29, 2014, 19:08 CJ_Parker

Cutter wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 17:55:
Quboid wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 17:47:
There are subscriptions? Not just that, but the subscriptions are for nothing? Hmm.

Has he stated unequivocally anywhere that there won't be a monthly fee for multiplayer? Because if I was a bettin' man I'd bet very heavily there will be. You better hope against hope the SP portion of the game fucking rocks your socks because I'm for thinkin' the MP portion of it is going to be heavy P2W monthly-sub MMO shite. Don't be surprised when those "personal" servers disappear.

Yes, he has denied monthly subs but it would by far not be the first and only promise that goes out the window so it ain't worth shit.
The fanbois will accept any excuse like "sorry we had to because of the increased scope of the game and higher infrastructure expenses blabla". There are enough people on the official forums who would let Chris Roberts shit on their head and thank him for keeping them warm.

With that said, I don't think they'll ever need mandatory subs. They said they would probably keep optional subs going for people who wanted to give a little extra each month but if you look at this game's pledging history all they need is a few ship sales every now and then to keep things going.
And, of course, there'll be the cash shop where, in addition to other game related stuff, you can buy the in-game currency UEC for real money. There are certainly more than enough tards in the world who will be using that shortcut to buy bigger ships, buggies, hangar fishtanks, guns, spoilers, bling-bling, dashboard crapola and all the useless shit that money can buy.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $43 Million
62. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 29, 2014, 17:35 CJ_Parker

Kosumo wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 17:07:
Hold up, they are sell a monthly $10 sub already as well? OMG - I'm stunned.

They've been offering a $10 (Centurion) and $20 (Imperator) sub since before the KS campaign even ended. People who subbed on day 1 have nearly 18 months of sub time on their account by now.

In the beginning it was advertised as a way to support the game development in small chunks instead of one bigger payment which many people supposedly asked for because they could not afford larger sums.

Today it is instead marketed as only contributing to the marketing budget, PR, Wingman's Hangar web show, Jump Point magazine and other community related stuff.

It was one of those silent changes where they went from "hey subscribe now because we can really use every cent to improve the game" to "thanks for paying for Wingman's Hangar".

I actually was a subscriber once but cancelled my sub when I realized that none of my sub money was any longer considered as a contribution to the game but only to "community content" (= advertising). I feel sorry for all the poor idiots who didn't get the memo and who are now solely paying for advertising the game.

News Comments > Is Destiny Destined for PCs?
48. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 29, 2014, 03:29 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 21:49:
CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 21:08:
...wants to fuck PC gamers in the ass?

You say that like it's a bad thing...

yes cuz all my ass belong to me!!!

News Comments > Is Destiny Destined for PCs?
19. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 28, 2014, 21:08 CJ_Parker

What exactly is "pretty complicated" about admitting that Microsoft wants this for the Xbone and once again wants to fuck PC gamers in the ass?  

News Comments > Star Citizen "Coming Together"
63. Re: Star Citizen Apr 28, 2014, 03:07 CJ_Parker

Nom4d wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 06:13:
Iurand wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 05:24:
Kosumo wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 05:20:
Iurand wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 05:17:
Flatline wrote on Apr 26, 2014, 19:19:
Bullshit we're what, 6 months past when we were supposed to have the multiplayer dogfight module?

4 months past when we were supposed to have the singleplayer dogfight module.

If it was a singleplayer dogfight module, why was the netcode the hold up?

They changed their plans and decided to do it in one pass and release both SP and MP together.

In addition to that, Chris Robberts adressed the delay in a letter saying since the expectations for the Dogfighting Module(DFM) were so high, he'd rather spend some more time on it along with making the netcode 'future proof'. So instead of hacking something together that would only work for the DFM, the netcode is already usable for future modules as well. That and the Cryengine netcode in it's default state is just not adequate for what the DFM and by extension Star Citizen needs.

Come on, guys. Let's finally put an end to regurgitating one of Roberts' most obvious lies. It's bad enough that the Church of Roberts cultists at the official forums keep repeating that line.

The truth of the matter is that shit all across the board was simply not finished yet in December. The exterior models were not finished and neither were the interiors, the HUD was work in progress, all of the spacecraft systems still needed a lot of work (essential stuff like being able to target people and stuff like that), whatever they had that was actually working at the time was in need of major bug fixing and the list goes on.

The net code was one in a million items (admittedly a crucial one, of course) that still needed to be addressed. And just a quick memo: We still don't have a date for the DFM release. It was originally supposed to be out in December, then "late March, early April" (Roberts in MMORPG.com interview), then "shortly" after PAX and now [to be continued...]?

News Comments > Obsidian: New Kickstarter Hopefully This Year
15. Re: Obsidian: New Kickstarter Hopefully This Year Apr 26, 2014, 04:47 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on Apr 26, 2014, 04:25:
That logic is terribly flawed. Let's say that Obsidian did as you suggested. They finish PoE and release it. What if it sells poorly? What if the backers were the only ones interested in it?

Easy as pie to answer that one: Abandon the project and the business model since it didn't work out for them.

Now Obsidian is screwed because they have no revenue and nothing for the PoE devs to work on.

Obsidian have always been mercenaries. They'll get work for the team whether it's a Star Wars, Southpark, Fallout, Dungeon Siege or whatever RPG. Besides their teams always seem to be fluctuating a lot with a lot of crossover where e.g. dev A works on game A, B and C on and off depending on the phase of development that game A, B or C is in.

14. Re: Obsidian: New Kickstarter Hopefully This Year Apr 26, 2014, 04:38 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Apr 26, 2014, 03:04:
And you can be sure that in addition to the KS funds, they added whatever extra they had lying around. This is a passion project. They'll be lucky to cover that, especially in an era where no one wants to pay more than $5 for a game. It might be years before they make a profit, and you can guarantee it won't enough to fund their next game. Whatever they're doing next, if it's not mass market and publisher funded, they'll need to KS it.

This is bullshit, dude. Obsidian fully intends to establish Infinity engine v2.0 with PoE. Passion project my ass (OK, maybe a little but seriously...). They are hoping to capitalize on it big time by either making sequels or spin-offs themselves or licensing the engine to 3rd parties. They want all of the BG, Icewind Dale, PST multi-million $$$ action and then some. PoE is the showcase and if all goes well they'll make some major dough by laying the groundwork with PoE.

Good for them though that their "we're on bread and water, have a shirt to spare?" PR seems to be working on some people. They are going to need that kind of spin, too, when they return for second takings on KS.

8. Re: Obsidian: New Kickstarter Hopefully This Year Apr 26, 2014, 01:48 CJ_Parker

Agree with Cutter. Obsidian has used Kickstarter to fund PoE. That's fine but it needs to become self-sustaining from there on out. The whole point of KS should not be to raise money and burn it on a project with zero return on investment but to raise money and build a working business model from it.
Having to return to KS for more monies is a clear sign of incompetent leadership, poor budgeting and a profound lack of foresight.

I backed PoE but I'm sure as fuck not backing any other shit made by Obsidian. They need to create the new game from the income generated by PoE. Remember how all of this was supposed to be NOT like the publisher model? Here's a quick memo for starters: I'm not a cow. Don't try to milk me. Make your own milk. We fed you the clover. Now grow and prosper on your own.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
11. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 22, 2014, 02:26 CJ_Parker

There is never a time to ditch any babe, booth or not.  

1510 Comments. 76 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo