Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 1575 (Pro)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Wing Commander 3 Free on Origin
7. Re: RE: Follow up Aug 5, 2014, 17:17 CJ_Parker

FUCK ORIGIN, LONG LIVE GOG!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen at $49M; Ongoing Funding Explained
10. Re: Star Citizen at $49M; Ongoing Funding Explained Aug 5, 2014, 11:08 CJ_Parker

Agree with SpectralMeat. If you check out the latest monthly report for July then you will see that lots of time at those studios is wasted on the Gamescom reveal, ship commercials, peripheral crap etc.
Even the studio in Manchester, headed by Erin Roberts, that is doing Squadron 42, or should be doing Squadron 42, is constantly sidetracked because they need to help out on other stuff.

This sucks and I'll say it again. This project needs actual project management and not an air head like Chris Roberts. What's needed is focus and direction.
For example, fuck Gamescom. CIG is an indie studio. They should stay at home, let the big boys like EA pound their chest, and keep working on the fucking game. What the fuck do we need a Gamescom attendance and "reveal" for? This project has made almost $50 million. Use that money and make the fucking game I pledged for instead of fucking around at Gamescom, kthx!

News Comments > Star Citizen in Depth
36. removed Aug 4, 2014, 20:09 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 5, 2014, 07:43.

31. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 17:40 CJ_Parker

Tumbler wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 16:57:
The project as a hole seems to have turned a corner recently.

Bwwahahaha great typo!

As for your question: This game has a VERY LONG road ahead of it before it becomes a fun game. I'll believe it when I see it. Looking at my investment I really hope it all does work out in the end but at least to me it's currently not looking like it will.
There is too little focus, direction, supervision and getting shit done.
Instead there's too much ego, greed (both in person of Chris Roberts) and moving from "reveal" to "reveal" and module to module, leaving old broken shit behind in favor of working on the next cool thing that will add a million or two to the pile.

They need a much more coherent master plan. Finish a job, then move on to the next. Make sure there is a solid framework, a solid basis to work from. Don't pile more on top of the shaky foundation. Again: Focus and direction.
What Chris Roberts needs is kind of someone who is like a publisher. Someone to pull his head from out of the clouds from time to time, put his feet back on the ground, kick him in the ass or the nut sack and make the little bitch deliver instead of dreaming up moar shit.

/rant

28. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 16:41 CJ_Parker

Optional Nickname! wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 15:16:
Flatline already answered this, and nobody really knows the details regarding insurance, as it will be an on-going issue in the PU,

The insurance system has actually been talked about a lot, also by the devs and at this time it's pretty clear what to expect so it's not true that "no one really knows the details".

Quick rundown: Insurance sticks to the hull and if you have active insurance on your hull then your hull is replaced if your ship blows up. There is lifetime insurance (LTI) for ships purchased before 11/26/2013 [plus customers who bought that mega package you mentioned] and standard insurance [that has the same function as LTI, the only difference being the time limit] that is good for a certain number of months. Simple so far, right?

Additionally you can insure cargo and equipment. There is no LTI for cargo and equipment EXCEPT your LTI pledge ship comes with preinstalled equipment, i.e. if you have upgraded your base pledge ship to a certain variant (exploration focused or whatever) then you get that model back under the LTI conditions.
Back to cargo and equipment: Insurance cost will depend on where you are traveling. Logically it will be cheaper in safe systems and more expensive in the boonies.

And now back to the question of what happens if your $1250 frigate gets ripped to shreds. If the ship is insured then you will get it back but since it is a huge ship it may take a while until you receive your replacement.
The plan as outlined by the devs is to replace common ships like an Aurora instantly but the bigger, fancier, rarer ships will take a certain amount of time and that amount of time might even increase if you are a notorious wrecker.
While you are waiting for your replacement, you can either fly one of your other ships, a friend's/guildie's ship or you can rent a ship.

See, it's not that hard and there aren't that many unknowns.

I've heard the rumors of LTI hulls selling for way over sticker price and I am tempted to see if it's true.

Be tempted no more and lookie here at yours truly who has auctioned off one of his LTI ships recently and doubled his original investment . Or just check eBay if you believe I'm kidding. Lots of LTI ships and packages on there and, no, it's not against the EULA or whatever. CIG has no problem with out of game sales.

The demand for LTI is very high, even though it might just ultimately be a small, but measurable, bonus.

That right there is the big question mark and lots of people seem to be quite literally banking on the fact that LTI will be invaluable.
However, the devs (in fact Chris Roberts Himself) has stated otherwise. Insurance is supposed to be a minor issue and for the game to really get anywhere it will realistically have to be. It would be massively unfair to hundreds of thousands of non-LTI space jockeys if LTI would yield a major advantage.
And no one wants to play insurance simulator or upkeep simulator (you know, there is also hangar fees, taxes etc. so insurance is only one of many money sinks).
That's why insurance will be a no issue in the end. You'll just insure your ship for a few months or a year after flying a couple missions or cargo runs to afford the premium and presto. Ignition. All engines running. And lift-off.

16. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 12:36 CJ_Parker

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 12:04:
Wildone wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 10:21:
Based on what I have seen thus far, they will be lucky to get the DFM working properly.
What do you mean? Arena Commander works fine. I was playing it online last night and it seems to be in very good shape for a game so early in development.

"Works fine" and "good shape" hahaha our hobby Iraqi Information Minister is at it again. I hope you do realize that repeating that utter nonsense doesn't really make it true.

11. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 11:11 CJ_Parker

Creston wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 10:46:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 10:26:
ps. This game officially cannot possibly meet all these goals now.

Sure it can. It just can't do so within the allotted time frame.

Yep. And Chris Roberts is doing fuck all to inform or clarify that many of the promised features are YEARS from becoming a reality. Why would he anyway? If he told people the cold, hard truth these $90 ship sales would only be good for laughs.

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added
38. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 3, 2014, 20:27 CJ_Parker

Ryan Lange wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 19:20:
Exactly what are you expecting from software in an alpha stage of development?

At least a basic functioning framework and some progress. Both are severely lacking.

They should not release an alpha to the public where you can not even change basic graphics settings and that has not even supported popular resolutions like 2560x1440 for a long time. It took them months to implement that simple fix so you could choose that res from the gfx options instead of editing the config files.

And I already mentioned the retarded default FoV of 55 which they still haven't increased which would be as simple as adding a single command line to a config file.

It should have also been a must to wait with the release until there is a way to customize keys and controls.

And they should have had support for multi GPU from the start. Crossfire and SLI setups are not exactly a rarity among hardcore sim fans.

Finally lol @ the clowns who seem to believe I haven't pledged for this game. I'm in at $1K+ (golden ticket, concierge and all that shit). But I'm on my way out. I'll keep my base package but the add-on packages and ships I'm going to auction off one by one. If the game should by some miracle turn out to be good and feature complete as advertised in 2027 I can always get any ship I want in-game then.
Right now I'd rather have my money back before this all goes down the shitter and thanks to tards paying through the nose for virtual insurance I'll be scoring a veeeeery nice return on investment mwwwaaahahahahahahaaaaaa

30. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 3, 2014, 18:27 CJ_Parker

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 17:34:
Already the gameplay is enjoyable and the game surprisingly polished for such an early release.

This is right up there with the Iraqi Information Minister who claimed that US soldiers were committing suicide by the thousands in front of the gates of Baghdad.

Seriously, to call that current piece of shit alpha "enjoyable" or "polished" is proof of the absence of any kind of standards or taste.

The hangar hasn't been optimised, as they've been focused on Arena Commander.

Yep. And next they'll be focused on the Gamescom reveal and the FPS module and leave both, the Hangar and AC in a shitty state. And then they'll be focused on the Social module and leave the Hangar, AC and the FPS in their fucked up state. And then they'll be focused on... notice a trend here? Can you say CLUSTERFUCK?

I am happy considering how much they are now adding to what was original going to be quite a modest title.

I can't quite share that sentiment. All I really wanted originally was a new even moar epic Wing Commander, not fucking Second Life in space. They have been adding way too much crap to detract from the space sim focus.
It is going to be VERY interesting to see how this is all going to come together into one game. Simply piling the modules on top of each other won't cut it. Keeping all modules equally up to date, keeping stuff balanced, fixing bugs, addressing all sorts of issues in a timely manner and all of that while still working on new content for a very demanding audience... welp, good luck. They're gonna need it.

22. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 3, 2014, 16:40 CJ_Parker

The only cool thing about this game right now is that buying LTI ships really was a great investment. I have begun auctioning off my ships (well, just one so far) and I've gotten way more than TWICE than what I paid originally. Beats the stock market by miles and there was not even a real risk involved .  

20. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 3, 2014, 16:11 CJ_Parker

Flatline wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 15:09:
Gib007 wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 15:01:
Pr()ZaC wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 14:54:
Gib007 wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 14:41:
Much as I love Elite Dangerous, just wait until Star Citizen has matured on to a Beta stage and beyond. It will crap on it. That's why I back both games. For Elite Dangerous, I bought Premium Beta. For Star Citizen, I bought the game along with the Origin 325a and then I bought a Cutlass and a Hornet.
You mean you HOPE it'll crap on it, hence the investment.

Assume all the features promised and all the mechanics promised will be in the game - it will be a much more immersive game. Investment-wise, I'm not bothered. In Gibraltar, we're swimming in it!

I currently see myself playing Elite Dangerous on the persistent Universe up to the day Star Citizen hits a stable mark on its own persistent Universe.

So I finally fired up my copy of Star Citizen that I kickstarted. Broke out my HOTAS setup and let her rip on the new PC I recently built.

It's... terrible. I got motion sick in the hanger. Turn your view left, and when yous top the head swims left about 5 degrees of view then rubber bands back right. I guess they implemented a physics engine for mouselook?

The graphics are... decent. I'm running everything on Very High and it's not bad but not fantastic. There are graphical artifacts *everywhere* and that really screws things up but I guess I can let that pass for an "alpha" that cooked for an extra six months past release date.

The 70 dollar pledge level I plunked down for whatever ship it was that I bought plus the game has guns on it literally like pea-shooters. I have a feeling that if I bought the 100 dollar or more ships I wouldn't feel like I have no weaponry on the thing.

I am slavishly obsessed with the idea of space sims. And this game has me feeling completely meh.

But at least I have a towel in the hanger!

Dude. It's hangar, not hanger.

Other than that I very much agree with ya. Star Citizen in its current state is very much deserving of the Star Shitizen denomination.
It's simply horrible and they don't have much of an excuse for the hangar being in such a shitty shape because they released that one about a year ago.
Instead of fixing shit they did indeed just add a towel, a buggy stunt course (extremely immersing feature right there) and a fish tank with space fish. Awesome.

The framework is horrible. You can't customize controls, you only have very barebone options to tweak visuals or performance, there is no multi GPU support, nothing. Everything is shitty and broken. I get that it's alpha but there should be at least a certain basis to work from.

And it's taking them ages to fix shit because, guess what, these assholes are too busy working on this year's Gamescom reveal. OK. I take back the 'assholes'. Let's say the asshole at the head of the company is forcing them to work on the next reveal instead of actually getting anywhere with what we have.
Way to get those priorities sorted, Chris. Worked really well when you were degraded from project lead to consultant on Freelancer, too, dinnit?
Oh well, as long as the reveal leads to adding another couple million $$$ it's all fine and dandy, right.

Seriously, unless someone stops a certain Mr. Roberts and screws his head on straight, Star Shitizen is definitely turning into the mismanaged clusterfuck that many feared it could become. This project needs direction and focus to get anywhere. I hope that at least Erin Roberts and crew in Manchester will manage to get Squadron 42 in shape.

EDIT: Oh, and one more hint @ Mr. Flatline: You were probably getting sick because of the FoV. The default FoV is still 55 (don't laugh, I'm serious... they haven't even managed to fix such basic shit in a year). So bring down the console with the key above 'TAB' and then type "cl_fov xx" where xx is your desired value.

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 2014, 16:16.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Beta Begins
49. Re: Elite Dangerous Beta Begins Jul 30, 2014, 21:53 CJ_Parker

Zanthar wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 20:51:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 20:30:
Creston

I am a backer of both SC and Elite and to be honest with you I like the way Elite looks a lot more. It runs better on my system too.
Maybe I am just biased but the color scheme the way the ships leave those smoke trails, the visual effects of the heat wents and shield etc just gives me goose bumps.
Not to mention the sound effects and engine sounds, just kicks so much ass.

I think it might be a bit early to count SC out.

True but Star Citizen is going to have to improve massively to even come close to the level of fidelity in ED.
I very much agree with Spectral Meat that ED just "feels right". Maybe it's because it's all made by one team unlike SC which is made by a half dozen studios across several continents.

I guess it also helps that Braben has a very clear and distinct vision plus a very healthy sense of realism like what can be achieved within a certain budget and timeframe.

While Chris Roberts... aaahh... nevermind. Anyone who has followed SC and watched a few videos with CR will know that incoherent babbling, brainstormfarting and "we'll put everything in this game that sounds remotely cool regardless of feasibility, just keep throwing cash at us" is the Roberts modus operandi.

In the end I hope I'm wrong and we'll end up with two awesome space sims but Mr. Roberts & co are going to have to focus on actually finishing and polishing shit instead of moving from one half-assed, half-finished module to the next.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2014, 22:04.

News Comments > Battlefield 4: Dragon's Teeth Released for All
5. Re: I think i'm burnt out Jul 29, 2014, 23:16 CJ_Parker

ELITE wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 22:43:
I think I'm done with Call of Duty and Battlefields - and Titans and all the rest...

I must be getting old...

No. *Smart*. You're growing a brain. Congrats on that!

News Comments > Firefall Launches
1. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 29, 2014, 19:41 CJ_Parker

HAHA "free to play"... nice try, bitches. Try again!  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
1. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 29, 2014, 19:39 CJ_Parker

Fuck that. That looked retarded like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2014, 11:29 CJ_Parker

Well, both Nvidia and AMD seem to be VERY happy with where the prices are now and in spite of the obscenely high prices cards seem to be selling at a rate that they haven't seen any need to lower the prices yet.
Look, I'm hoping as much as you and everyone else in the consumer space that GPU prices will come back down into reasonable territory rather sooner than later but realistically it ain't gonna happen because there is absolutely no reason for either nVidia or AMD to drop their prices at this time.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2014, 10:40 CJ_Parker

Why should they all of a sudden drop prices and ruin their margins now? People have been buying high end gfx cards for $600 - 700 for years at this point. Rumor has it the 880 is going to be +30% faster than the 780Ti.
No way Josť. The most optimistic scenario is they'll phase out the 780Ti and offer the 880 at the same price in the ~$700 range. But knowing nVidia they will probably go $899 or $999 RRP with the 880.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2014, 09:05 CJ_Parker

Nadool wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 09:01:
But but but...I took out a second mortgage so I could SLi me some Titans!!! Idiots

Don't fret. I bet the GTX 800 series will start with RRPs of only US$9,999 .

News Comments > Crowntakers Announced
1. Re: Crowntakers Announced Jul 28, 2014, 11:42 CJ_Parker

Stopped reading at "being the chosen one... blahbluhblahbluh". Fuck generic RPG plots.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 27, 2014, 21:10 CJ_Parker

Redmask wrote on Jul 27, 2014, 19:58:
It's no Baldur's Gate

True. It's much better because it doesn't suck like BG does!

1575 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo