Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 2256 (Senior)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
16. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 20, 2015, 20:19 CJ_Parker

1badmf wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 17:54:
is it legal for you to be leaking this stuff to us? i love juicy gossip but i wouldn't want anyone here to go to federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison for it. i know you don't work for them but maybe your contacts could get screwed.

The rumors that AMD might split up and sell parts of the company to Samsung are neither new nor groundbreaking. The old CEO had allegedly(!) examined these break-up options and decided against it. The new CEO Lisa Su is now allegedly(!!!) revisiting the plans and has (allegedly!!!) hired consulting firms to check the viability.
An AMD spokesperson, however, has denied that any such options are currently being explored at all.

As for old stories on a Samsung buyout (of at least parts of AMD):

March 2015: Samsung To Allegedly Acquire AMD To Compete With Intel And Qualcomm Head On
March 2015: Why Samsung should buy AMD
July 2012(!): AMD, who will buy?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 20, 2015, 15:08 CJ_Parker

{PH}88fingers wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 12:23:
1badmf wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 00:32:
at 4k you don't need AA tho i think, especially on a computer monitor. kinda speaking out of my ass, but the pixels would be so small that jaggies would be invisible. i play on a 1920x1200 27" screen, and i only do low AA cuz that's more than sufficient to get the jaggies away. i imagine if the pixels were a quarter the size i could turn AA off and not really notice unless i buried my nose on the screen.

you sir are correct, but it's always fun to listen to a bunch of people talk out of their ass as if it were 'fact'.

thus spoke the uber n00b

You absolutely do need AA, no matter the resolution because textures are never 100% smooth and seamless. No matter how hard the artists may try, you always have texture seams and if you use 16x AF for nicer and sharper textures it exacerbates the issue.
The result is either texture flickering or just a certain level of "noise" in the image. All of this is especially the case in games with grass and lots of vegetation where you have lots of overlapping textures and potential jaggies.

That's why you ALWAYS (regardless of resolution) want to use at least 2x MSAA to smooth your image without making it blurry like shitty FXAA does.
Well, it's what image quality connoisseurs (those who would actually care about running 4K) would want to do.
But some of you console peasants probably wouldn't know image quality even if it crawled out of your pixel puke soup 60" 1280x720 TV and bit ya in the ass!

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Jun 19, 2015, 20:31 CJ_Parker

So... overdone HDR confirmed. Um. Yay?  

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 19, 2015, 20:12 CJ_Parker

Dagnamit wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 14:43:
The 4k benches are out of control on the review sites. All they tell me is that native 4k gaming at reasonable price point is at least 2 years away. Gaming at below 60 fps is just unacceptable to me, so when I see those benches in the 30-50 range, from a Titan X no less a $1000 card, I just roll my eyes.

Very true and the eyes almost roll over backwards when you look at the retarded settings they are using to get those 30-50fps. Most of the time AA is either off or they're using FXAA at best. No AF either. And in-game settings turned down to high (from ultra) or medium (from high or ultra), no ambient occlusion, nothing fancy because it would kill performance to single digits otherwise.

Completely stupid. Why would anyone game at 4K with dumbed down settings just to be able to run the res when you can play at full HD or 1440p with everything maxed out, nice MSAA/TXAA, 16x AF, HBAO and all the bells and whistles?

It's true... real 4K gaming at reasonable quality settings is *at least* another gen away, probably two (nVidia Volta and AMD-whatever-islands) or more. It all depends on how big of a leap we will get out of next year's shrink to 14nm/16nm.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
49. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 19, 2015, 19:57 CJ_Parker

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 18:59:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 14:18:
I reserve the right to steal
I think this one line pretty much sums you up as a human being.

Ya think? Look, I've been gaming on the PC for 22 years (started on the C64 and on that toaster when I was a teenager I owned almost exclusively pirated games like everyone else here in EU).
Anyway, back to the PC... I have pirated maybe a handful of games in all of those 22 years.
In the past 15 years, i.e. since the year 2000, I'm pretty sure that I have pirated exactly three games.
In all three instances I pirated because it was not possible to buy and legitimately activate a legally bought uncensored copy (even if I would have imported from US/UK) from within my country.
The only way to be able to play an uncensored version was through piracy so I reluctantly went rogue.

As I said boycott takes priority and I'm really good at boycotting. I don't have to have every cool kid game. Most of the crap that is released nowadays is not even worth pirating in the first place. The chances that I will pirate an Eidos game are minimal. But one thing is certain: I'm done giving these disrespectful bastards any money.

27. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 19, 2015, 14:18 CJ_Parker

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 13:49:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 12:58:
Squirmer wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 10:55:
I think people are missing the point a bit. No one's saying Eidos can't use themes of bigotry and segregation etc. The problem is the specific use of the term "apartheid" which was a specific set of policies resulting in the oppression of the black population and curtailment their rights. Many people died in the struggle against those policies.

It's an easy term to throw around, but much harder to handle with sensitivity and respect for the people who suffered under it. Using it to market your videogame story could seem pretty insensitive since they're not addressing the actual policy of apartheid as it existed in the real world; they're just leveraging an emotional term as shorthand. It's a bit gross that Eidos literally trademarked the term apartheid.

^ this

Excellent summary, Sir. Big round of applause fer ya and fuck Eidos indeed, especially for the trademarking bit ("gross" or disgusting does not even begin to sum up how incredibly shitty and tasteless their actions are).
As a result, I will boycott (pirate) all of their future games for this. Another publisher who just went straight to the shitlist.

Not offended enough to just not play the game, only enough to steal it. Real strong principles you've got there. Even funnier for you to make an offense based argument given some of the stuff you've spewed on these boards before. If I recall, your signature used to say "Born to Troll." Too funny.

Learn to read. I was talking about Eidos games in general, not just DXMD, and I said boycott OR steal. Boycott has the priority and, especially after these news, I have below zero interest in Deus Ex MD so I'm not gonna steal that shit. I reserve the right to steal any other games they might offer if one catches my interest though (very unlikely).

I'm also not sure about the trolling connection. You're comparing my harmless trolling to a publisher trademarking "apartheid". Seriously?
You might want to get a clue about history and watch some documentaries about apartheid in SA, Nelson Mandela and Steven Biko to understand that it is absolutely outrageous of Eidos to disrespectfully trademark the term just to advertise a violent video game.

But it does not surprise me that some of ya yanks are totally fine with this. In a country where it's the norm to shoot a dozen unarmed black people every day you probably can't be bothered to give a fuck about such non-issues, right?

19. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 19, 2015, 12:58 CJ_Parker

Squirmer wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 10:55:
I think people are missing the point a bit. No one's saying Eidos can't use themes of bigotry and segregation etc. The problem is the specific use of the term "apartheid" which was a specific set of policies resulting in the oppression of the black population and curtailment their rights. Many people died in the struggle against those policies.

It's an easy term to throw around, but much harder to handle with sensitivity and respect for the people who suffered under it. Using it to market your videogame story could seem pretty insensitive since they're not addressing the actual policy of apartheid as it existed in the real world; they're just leveraging an emotional term as shorthand. It's a bit gross that Eidos literally trademarked the term apartheid.

^ this

Excellent summary, Sir. Big round of applause fer ya and fuck Eidos indeed, especially for the trademarking bit ("gross" or disgusting does not even begin to sum up how incredibly shitty and tasteless their actions are).
As a result, I will boycott (pirate) all of their future games for this. Another publisher who just went straight to the shitlist.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 19, 2015, 12:51 CJ_Parker

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 19, 2015, 12:01:
it's cool and quiet (silent when idle because the fan turns off)

Just as an addendum: This zero fan mode feature depends on the manufacturer of the card. Don't rush out and buy any 970 expecting it to be silent in idle mode. There are only a few select cards that support this feature like the Asus Strix, MSI 4G Gaming, Palit JetStream and some EVGA models.
It's totally awesome though if you're into the whole silent PC thing. I got a GTX 980 card with zero fan mode, too. I will never be buying a card with fans spinning in idle mode ever again, that much is sure.

News Comments > Overwatch Trailer
2. Re: Overwatch Trailer Jun 18, 2015, 20:17 CJ_Parker

Fuck no.  

22. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 18, 2015, 16:18 CJ_Parker

I'd say it's just typical Bethesda hyperbole (I'm not a Beth hater... just observing facts) and simply a Captain Obvious statement as well. In a team of their size with so many people developing content for different parts of the game in a huge game world, it is only natural that no one can really have seen everything. They might as well have stated the sky is blue. ORLY?  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Engine Video
5. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Engine Video Jun 17, 2015, 21:24 CJ_Parker

harlock wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 21:17:
watchdogs looked good at E3

witcher 3 looked good at E3

Yup. This clip was missing the "This is what the game could have looked like if Microsoft wouldn't have paid us a$$load$ of cash to dumb down the graphics so the Xbone won't look as inferior as it really is" a.k.a the "keep dreaming PC gamers bwwahahahaaa" disclaimer.

News Comments > American Truck Simulator Trailer
2. Re: American Truck Simulator Trailer Jun 17, 2015, 21:13 CJ_Parker

This is gonna sell like Deer Hunter. Only better.  

News Comments > Overwatch Trailer
3. Re: Overwatch Trailer Jun 17, 2015, 21:11 CJ_Parker

This looks so incredibly SHITTY that the entire feces that has been crapped out by all organic lifeforms since the beginning of time does not even begin to do it justice.

Seriously.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Syndicate Changes Detailed
8. Re: Assassin's Creed Syndicate Changes Detailed Jun 17, 2015, 13:53 CJ_Parker

scratz wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 12:50:
Oh, man, disagree. I loooooved the naval portion of Black Flag. Sailing, chanties, whaling, combat... it was awesome.

^ this

They did such an awesome job capturing the atmosphere of navigating the high seas with a pirate ship. It was oodles of fun to collect booty, capture ships and add them to Kenway's Fleet, destroy forts and all that jazz.

12. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 17, 2015, 13:45 CJ_Parker

Steele Johnson wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 11:53:
You've got to remember that ms has all new upper management. The company is completely different now. Give them a chance. Windows 10 is a good start and making it easier for game devs to build cross-platform games. That's a huge win for game devs and ms.

You're joking, right? Their only idea of PC gaming is to use the PC to stream games to your ShitBox. That is why ShitBox and PC get unified under the Windows 10 ShitBox gaming umbrella thing. It's the first step to integrate the PC into the closed ShitBox eco system. Just wait how this will end. Hint: Not pretty.
They are most certainly not at all interested in bringing first party AAA games to the PC platform. The only thing they are interested in is lame casual shit like Candy Crush clones with microtransactions so they can ripoff some bored housewife MILFS.

Fuck Microsoft and especially fuck Phil Spencer that lying shitbag.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity White March Expansion Details
7. Re: Pillars of Eternity White March Expansion Details Jun 17, 2015, 01:58 CJ_Parker

Cram wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 01:57:
Slick wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 01:44:
jeez, been out a few weeks and they're already shoving expansion packs down our throat? I bet this is going to cost $650 with all the DLC, i bet the bean counters at paradox and obsidian are just wetting their lips. why do game devs only care about profits? so greedy.

They said they were going to, quickly, develop expansions for the game during its actual kickstarter and post kickstarter interviews. The game was delayed almost exactly a year after their original expected release date due to stretch goals and content development. What timeframe is acceptable until an expansion is allowed to be announced. Key word "announced". $650, what?

You n00b. If you were a fish you'd be dead now.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity White March Expansion Details
6. Re: Pillars of Eternity White March Expansion Details Jun 17, 2015, 01:57 CJ_Parker

Yeah is this the un-garbage-fier?  

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Eternal Conflict Details
2. Re: Heroes of the Storm Eternal Conflict Details Jun 17, 2015, 00:35 CJ_Parker

Yeah dude. In a nutshell: Shit. Next.  

News Comments > Gears of War Ultimate Edition for PC Announced
2. Re: Gears of War Ultimate Edition for PC Announced Jun 17, 2015, 00:33 CJ_Parker

True Microsoft commitment to PC gaming. Gotta love this shit.  

News Comments > AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced
43. Re: My radeon experience Jun 16, 2015, 21:52 CJ_Parker

TangledThorns wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 21:27:
This launch is odd. Is DX12 even out yet, are any AAA games expected to have DX12 this year? I think I'll wait till next year.

What's "odd" about the launch with regard to DirectX? If new GPUs only came out when a new DirectX version is launched we wouldn't have seen any new GPUs for the past six years.

Regarding your question on availability DirectX 12 is currently available if you are brave enough to grab the Windows 10 beta. The full launch of Win 10 is end of July. That's when DirectX 12 is released for real.
Games supporting DirectX 12 are supposed to become available by the end of the year. Details are scarce. Maybe we'll learn more from the E3 PC gaming conference which is ongoing as I type this.

2256 Comments. 113 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo