Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 1861 (Pro)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Earns $21M; New Content Coming; OS X Beta Status
51. Re: Elite: Dangerous Earns $21M; New Content Coming; OS X Beta Status Jan 11, 2015, 16:33 CJ_Parker

I don't think there's enough space for gel mats, at least not if you have a keyboard the size of a G19. For the mouse it depends on how much space you need. I use a Logi G400s at about average sensitivity with a triple monitor setup at 7680x1440. If I went super-sensitive, I'd need less space obviously, but I'm used to average sensitivity so I do need a little space for the mouse.
Another problem is that a gel cushion would lift the wrist even higher. You already have a bit of an issue to position the tray high enough so you can still move your legs freely (or maybe even use the pedals) but also low enough so you can access the keyboard and mouse comfortably. It's a bit of a balancing act.

Anyway, the issues should not be overstated... as I said it just takes time getting used to the keyboard and mouse tray. I have still managed extended gaming sessions playing FPS and other non-sim games using the Obutto.
It can be done but there's an adaption process. There's also no arm rest so if you are used to sitting in a comfy swiveling "boss chair" with arm rests at your desk, then that's another issue to be aware of.
Again: Just trying to make you aware of issues I have come across and not saying that these are huge problems.

Based on my experience, however, I would be hesitant to share Obutto's view that their products are a workstation or desk replacement. Strictly in my opinion they're not well suited for that. They are "toys" first and foremost. Awesome for sims, still decent for any other kind of gaming but not exactly ideal as a desk replacement where you may have to get up often, grab some papers, put something on the copy/fax machine, get up and get a coffee etc. etc.
The Obutto is more like the kind of chair you get into if you know that you have at least an hour or more of free time to just sit there and play a sim or a game. It's a rather "static" environment.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Earns $21M; New Content Coming; OS X Beta Status
45. Re: Elite: Dangerous Earns $21M; New Content Coming; OS X Beta Status Jan 11, 2015, 05:12 CJ_Parker

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 20:49:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 20:34:
Or, at least true for Star Citizen, fly only single seaters and stay away from the FPS-enabled locations.
Not sure how ED is going to do this? Is every ship boardable? If not, you could also stick to the ones that allow you to fly without any chance of a FPS encounter.

As for HOTAS setups, if anyone is real serious about space/flight sims, then this (among other options) is the way to go. Not the only way but a very good way if you have the room and the cash (it's not even *that* expensive luckily):

http://obutto.com/index.php/gaming-cockpits/

This is exactly what I am eying.. but then to replace my entire desk and chair, and everything, basically that's gonna be my main workstation for sims, typing, mouse fps and everything else. It would make a lot of room in my pc altar room...

But for the full workstation replacement I'd be looking at 800 .. and that isn't exactly cheap ;p

And a huge gamble to take without ability to actually sit in that "car" chair before spending 800 (shipping and accesories).. I am very picky about my seating comforts

But yeah, Obutto Revolution Workstation is what I am planning to get after I tested VR

I own a r3volution cockpit and let me tell you that if you are picky about seating comfort, then you probably don't want to get this as a desk replacement. I now have a second desk PC but for about a year I used the Obutto exclusively. It's great for gaming in general and sims in specific, of course, but as a desk replacement it's really not that great. It's OK. You get around but it's far from ideal.

For example, getting in and out of the chair once you have everything installed (HOTAS mounts etc.) can be a little tricky. The seat is also very low above the floor and it does not swivel so you can't really get up quickly to do anything as sometimes you need to when doing actual work.
The keyboard and mouse tray takes some time getting used to since your mouse hand rests on the metallic edge of the tray (might depend a little on keyboard size and personal mouse sensitivity preferences etc.) and the hand rest space in front of the keyboard is very narrow (Logi G19 in my case).

So after extensive testing, I would personally only recommend this as a "toy" and not as a desk replacement but YMMV.
For a sim pit, I can't think of a more ideal solution at this price level though. The flight sim bundle is awesome, especially if, like me, you own a Warthog. There are endless options to arrange the controls exactly as you like.

32. Re: Elite: Dangerous Earns $21M; New Content Coming; OS X Beta Status Jan 10, 2015, 20:34 CJ_Parker

Or, at least true for Star Citizen, fly only single seaters and stay away from the FPS-enabled locations.
Not sure how ED is going to do this? Is every ship boardable? If not, you could also stick to the ones that allow you to fly without any chance of a FPS encounter.

As for HOTAS setups, if anyone is real serious about space/flight sims, then this (among other options) is the way to go. Not the only way but a very good way if you have the room and the cash (it's not even *that* expensive luckily):

http://obutto.com/index.php/gaming-cockpits/

News Comments > Rockstar: PC GTA5 Not Delayed
27. removed Jan 10, 2015, 00:48 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 10, 2015, 15:43.

News Comments > Rockstar: PC GTA5 Not Delayed
19. removed Jan 9, 2015, 22:52 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 10, 2015, 07:48.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2015, 20:10 CJ_Parker

I see that Smedley is still the 'astounding' same dumb ass as the one who helped drive SWG into the ground.  

News Comments > Mad Catz Announces $300 PC/Mobile Controller
3. Re: Mad Catz Announces $300 PC/Mobile Controller Jan 6, 2015, 18:29 CJ_Parker

I'm sure they mean $29.99, right? Riiight?! Riiiiiiigggghhhhttt????!??

If not...

BWWWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAAAAA

lol@MadCatz ... MAD indeed

News Comments > $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced
36. Re: $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced Jan 6, 2015, 16:54 CJ_Parker

Darks wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 15:30:
Is there really any reason to spend that kind of money on a sound system or headset? I have a Logitech G35 Wireless and it does everything I need it to do its full on 7.1 surround and I didn't pay an arm and a leg to buy it.

Seems really pointless to spend that kind of money on a sound system.

Depends. I'm also quite happy with a Logitech G930 wireless headset and it's decent enough for my current situation.
My situation is living in an apartment with neighbors above and below me who probably wouldn't appreciate if I cranked up the gaming sound with lots of "ooooommmmppphhhh" and "booooommm" and "wwwwaaaahhh" and "uuuurgggghhhh".

If I would be living in my own house, however, I'd switch to a really decent oomphy 5.1 surround system, for both PC and TV, in a heartbeat.
Even though I've gotten used to wearing a headset well enough, I still wouldn't really consider a headset, not even a wireless one, comfy by any stretch of the imagination.
It would be awesome to just be all free and turn up the volume of e.g. a Teufel Concept E450 5.1 system for some serious quality sound in gaming.
If I had the choice, it'd be no contest.

So, yes, I believe there is definitely a viable reason to care about a really decent and expensive sound system if you happen to live in an environment where you can take advantage of it (own house, parents' basement, garage, whatever...).

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Film Dated
10. Re: Assassin's Creed Film Dated Jan 6, 2015, 16:17 CJ_Parker

Task wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 15:37:
Uh, does it have Altair in it?

NO CUZ DESMOND MILES IS DEAD!

News Comments > $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced
18. Re: $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced Jan 6, 2015, 13:52 CJ_Parker

500 bucks for this piece of plastic junk?!? They gotta be fucking kidding...  

News Comments > Far Cry Poll
31. Re: Far Cry Poll Jan 5, 2015, 18:35 CJ_Parker

Spektr wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 16:49:
This said FC with dinosaurs or FC with cowboys.. I feel there hasn't been a decent FPS in those genres yet so I think those are good ideas to explore

Dude, cowboys... Call of Juarez, not Gunslinger and not The Cartel, but the original one and Bound in Blood with Billie and Reverend Ray. Play 'em. Good shit.

As for dinosaurs, I can't think of a decent game either. Turok was also on PC but except for the decent gfx (3Dfx Voodoo FTW IIRC) I found it meh-ish. And then there was a Tomb Raider part with some T-Rexes (Legend?) but that's about all I can remember.

It's probably not that interesting or easy from a technical and gameplay perspective though.
Dinosaurs are huge so you have a problem with performance (if you make a very detailed model), animations and you need to make a huge creature that's pretty damn agile in order to avoid players from being able to circle-strafe around the mob. A huge agile dino is bound to look kinda silly, not scary.
Finally, due to its size, it's also way too easy to hit so how do you make that realistic and challenging? It's hard... unless you do something silly and turn every fight into a heavily scripted boss fight where you have to hit the dino in its right eye but only when it wiggles its tail at the same time as it stands on its left leg. Scripted. Stupid. Silly.
They should probably only go with dinos for a FC3 Blood Dragon kind of over the top silly game but not a more serious FC5. Or solve some of the issues above by going with small agile raptors for the most part but then it wouldn't be a true Jurassic Park thing.

News Comments > Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: "No Finish Line"
56. Re: Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: Jan 3, 2015, 16:38 CJ_Parker

Quboid wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 14:20:
Kajetan wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 12:33:
Quboid wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 11:33:
Do you expect whatever modules that they are working on at that time to get finished, and for most of the promised (supposedly funded but at that time undelivered) content to eventually see the light of day?
The modules they work on will see a release. Because the developement of these modules with a certain feature set is already funded.

If the speed of funding falls away quite quickly, any significant delay in development will force them to cut features - which would reduce confidence and therefore funding further.

It's been mentioned by CR that if funding should go full stop all of a sudden, they supposedly have an emergency plan that would let them wrap up development with the existing funds and still deliver a game.

The chance of a significant delay is, in my opinion, very high. Many developers with lots of experience face delays and there are a great many things that can go wrong even on much less ambitious projects. Only time will tell how many problems they have and how they're able to deal with them.

Well, we're already deep inside delay land. Originally the full game (the so called "full vision" as per CR which was supposed to cost $23 million) including Squadron 42 in its entirety (not just a first episode), the PU, private servers, the whole nine yards, was scheduled for release in late 2014!
That obviously hasn't happened at all. We'll be lucky if the first episode (ten missions or so) of Squadron 42 really arrives this year and isn't delayed into 2016.
And the PU, as promised with the 100 star systems to explore at launch, is far, far away.

They have also recently hit a major roadblock when they figured out that the CryEngine must be rewritten to support 64-bit double precision in order to support the large space levels. Now, why no one had figured that one out at the beginning of development or at least within the first year or so, even though they have always had actual Crytek people on board full time, is probably a case for Sculder & Mully. Seriously. What a bunch of incompetent dumbshits.
This engine rewrite is currently still ongoing and should be finished by about March IIRC. Should be interesting to see how that will affect Squadron 42 or the first PU release.

I predict that they will have to make some pretty major cuts. Even if the money holds up, some of the things that they've promised just aren't going to be very good or aren't technically possible. In a normal project these features never see the light of day so no one is the wiser but in Star Citizen, some people will get upset.

People would -rightfully so- get very upset indeed. No one was holding a gun to CR's head and forcing him to cough up all sorts of unrealistic shit. Star Citizen will be judged by its feature list as per the pledge campaign and every single stretch goal. They better deliver on all fronts because people were enticed to pledge more by every single promise of even greener pastures. Failure is not really an option. Not for this project.

News Comments > Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users [Updated]
14. Re: Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users Jan 3, 2015, 15:49 CJ_Parker

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 12:50:
Simon Says wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 12:04:
z3razerviper wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 11:51:
Is this just logged in or logged in an playing cause 8 million logged in does not see that impressive.

What he said^^. Cause practically everyone must auto log-on at computer startup, if that is so. The number is utterly laughable. On the other hand, if its people playing at the same time, then that's another matter entirely.

That is a good question... Google says... Logged in, doesn't represent people playing. To note I do not auto-log in on start up. Steam does well, but I do agree that in general it isn't as big as some may think. The Skyrim dealio, always in the Top 10, you'd think it had sold 20 - 50 million on the PC, it is way way under that. So you can use that as a barometer. I'm of the belief in many weeks the top game let alone the rest of the Top 10, sold a much smaller number than what one may believe.

Very true. The weekly charts are also a good indication when it's fairly quiet in spring or summer and very obscure titles pop up in the top five. Many people seem to vastly overestimate the number of units that Steam is moving.

Or look at a big publisher like Ubi who publish sales by platform stats (including Steam/uPlay sales and not just retail). They are always at around 15% PC sales max while the other 85% sales happen on the consoles and mobile crap.

Just because Steam has become a pretty big deal for most of us, doesn't mean it's a big deal for even close to the majority of gamers. It's this typical window syndrome where people believe their limited view is somehow representative of anything when in reality it isn't at all.

News Comments > Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: "No Finish Line"
27. Re: Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: Jan 3, 2015, 00:26 CJ_Parker

Roberts you asshole... me and many others have pledged for physical collector's boxes (signed ones even). There better be a finishing line, you know, like when your grubby little hands pick up a fucking pen to sign those fucking boxes and when you guys are going to actually ship that shit. If you want to avoid scamming people, there's going to HAVE TO come a day when you guys draw a finishing line in the sand and go 'this it'. Like Elite Dangerous 1.0 there is also going to have to be a Star Citizen 1.0 some day.

I know that a greedy asshole like yourself is going to want to delay that date indefinitely because God forbid this game actually be subject to reviews that declare how empty and shitty everything is. Or how y'all have missed putting in a couple hundred stretch goals.
But why give a shit, right? Until then you probably will have made another $50 million via your optimized space ship creation pipeline as you keep squeezing cash out of slobbering, mouth-breathing retards with more money than sense.

Fuck your monetization circus and focus on finishing the fucking game. Yes. FINISHING THE FUCKING GAME. As in shipping the game with all stretch goals included. A nice start would be if you'd focus on stuff that was promised over two years ago and has been coming "soon" ever since (like the Origin archives on the website). Thanks.

News Comments > Another Steam Concurrent User Record
7. Re: Another Steam Concurrent User Record Jan 2, 2015, 19:51 CJ_Parker

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 19:29:
Kosumo wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 19:08:
Is that still lower the the most subsribers that WoW had at it's height? And they where all paying a monthly sub as well. Show how huge WoW got.

I don't think wow ever had 8 million concurrent. Total users I believe is around 65 million.

You believe wrong. Steam passed 100 million "active accounts" (whatever the fuck that is by their definition) in September 2014.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Issues
4. Re: Elite Dangerous Issues Jan 2, 2015, 19:49 CJ_Parker

Yeppers. Fire&forget release right before the Xmas holidays was one of the dumbest moves in the history of game releases. Congrats to Frontier for going full retard.  

News Comments > New Steam Concurrent User Record
9. Re: RE: Follow up Dec 29, 2014, 18:13 CJ_Parker

20 million? 65 million?

LOL@DUMBFUXX

You guys might want to consider quitting to live in the past and join us hip folks in the present some time where Steam has surpassed 100 million active accounts this September:

Source

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
4. Re: Saturday Consolidation Dec 27, 2014, 16:04 CJ_Parker

nin wrote on Dec 27, 2014, 13:20:
Kim "Santa" Dotcom Stops Xbox and Playstation Attacks.

Nothing but a PR stunt.

Yep. That stupid fat fuck is just riding the wave to get a li'l spotlight on his fat, dumb self and his retarded Mega platform that doesn't seem to do as well as he'd hoped so now he's grasping at straws like these. Fuck that guy.

News Comments > Boxing Day Mobilization
1. Re: Boxing Day Mobilization Dec 26, 2014, 14:32 CJ_Parker

Maaaahhhh brainzzz issss OOOOOOOOOKKKKKK maaaaaannnnn  

News Comments > On Sale
15. Re: On Sale Dec 24, 2014, 09:36 CJ_Parker

Rigs wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 09:01:
CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 24, 2014, 02:16:
It's a joke. A sad one... that once again proves that EA are the scum of the earth. I will pirate DAI once it becomes available in a neat RELOADED package including all DLC.

Where the hell you been, it's been cracked for over two weeks now...by 3DM, no less. I couldn't find it in a store for less than $50 and given the plague of bug-ridden releases, I wasn't about to throw $50 on something sight unseen without having played at least a little of it first. I'm sorry, I'm usually one to say 'fuck it' and go headfirst to support the industry but with the death of demos, I couldn't get a good enough feel for it in the reviews and Lets Plays to tell me if it would run well enough on my system. Now that I know, I gave them the money. I still don't understand why they killed off demos. A lot of gamers wouldn't have to take the 'easy way' just to find out if it's worth the money if they'd just release either a time limited version or a level or two...

Well, to be fair, Origin does have that 24 hour money back guarantee doesn't it? So if you really just need to demo the game you can always buy it on a slow Saturday/Sunday, play the crap out of it and if you don't like it return it before the 24h run out.

Another admittedly decent Origin feature is the Free Game Time thing where you can test several games (currently BF4, Titanfall and KoA) for a certain number of hours. Enough hours for example to be able to easily finish the BF4 eight hour max SP campaign. For free. And test some of the MP. That's actually a fair deal.

But the pricing on DAI is way off. They are pricing it like a console game even though it doesn't have the +$10 platform penalty. Greedy bastards. And then they never bundle their games into GOTY or complete editions and the DLC never goes on sale. Look at ME3. It's on sale for 9.99 but the three main story DLCs are still 1200 BioWare points or 800 points respectively. So if you want it all you still end up paying full price at about 40. Greedy bastard assholes. So unless they change that soonish I'm gonna go all aaaaaarrrr matey on DAI.

1861 Comments. 94 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo