Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 1459 (Pro)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $43 Million
67. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 29, 2014, 19:08 CJ_Parker

Cutter wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 17:55:
Quboid wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 17:47:
There are subscriptions? Not just that, but the subscriptions are for nothing? Hmm.

Has he stated unequivocally anywhere that there won't be a monthly fee for multiplayer? Because if I was a bettin' man I'd bet very heavily there will be. You better hope against hope the SP portion of the game fucking rocks your socks because I'm for thinkin' the MP portion of it is going to be heavy P2W monthly-sub MMO shite. Don't be surprised when those "personal" servers disappear.

Yes, he has denied monthly subs but it would by far not be the first and only promise that goes out the window so it ain't worth shit.
The fanbois will accept any excuse like "sorry we had to because of the increased scope of the game and higher infrastructure expenses blabla". There are enough people on the official forums who would let Chris Roberts shit on their head and thank him for keeping them warm.

With that said, I don't think they'll ever need mandatory subs. They said they would probably keep optional subs going for people who wanted to give a little extra each month but if you look at this game's pledging history all they need is a few ship sales every now and then to keep things going.
And, of course, there'll be the cash shop where, in addition to other game related stuff, you can buy the in-game currency UEC for real money. There are certainly more than enough tards in the world who will be using that shortcut to buy bigger ships, buggies, hangar fishtanks, guns, spoilers, bling-bling, dashboard crapola and all the useless shit that money can buy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $43 Million
62. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 29, 2014, 17:35 CJ_Parker

Kosumo wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 17:07:
Hold up, they are sell a monthly $10 sub already as well? OMG - I'm stunned.

They've been offering a $10 (Centurion) and $20 (Imperator) sub since before the KS campaign even ended. People who subbed on day 1 have nearly 18 months of sub time on their account by now.

In the beginning it was advertised as a way to support the game development in small chunks instead of one bigger payment which many people supposedly asked for because they could not afford larger sums.

Today it is instead marketed as only contributing to the marketing budget, PR, Wingman's Hangar web show, Jump Point magazine and other community related stuff.

It was one of those silent changes where they went from "hey subscribe now because we can really use every cent to improve the game" to "thanks for paying for Wingman's Hangar".

I actually was a subscriber once but cancelled my sub when I realized that none of my sub money was any longer considered as a contribution to the game but only to "community content" (= advertising). I feel sorry for all the poor idiots who didn't get the memo and who are now solely paying for advertising the game.

News Comments > Is Destiny Destined for PCs?
48. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 29, 2014, 03:29 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 21:49:
CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 21:08:
...wants to fuck PC gamers in the ass?

You say that like it's a bad thing...

yes cuz all my ass belong to me!!!

News Comments > Is Destiny Destined for PCs?
19. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 28, 2014, 21:08 CJ_Parker

What exactly is "pretty complicated" about admitting that Microsoft wants this for the Xbone and once again wants to fuck PC gamers in the ass?  

News Comments > Star Citizen "Coming Together"
63. Re: Star Citizen Apr 28, 2014, 03:07 CJ_Parker

Nom4d wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 06:13:
Iurand wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 05:24:
Kosumo wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 05:20:
Iurand wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 05:17:
Flatline wrote on Apr 26, 2014, 19:19:
Bullshit we're what, 6 months past when we were supposed to have the multiplayer dogfight module?

4 months past when we were supposed to have the singleplayer dogfight module.

If it was a singleplayer dogfight module, why was the netcode the hold up?

They changed their plans and decided to do it in one pass and release both SP and MP together.

In addition to that, Chris Robberts adressed the delay in a letter saying since the expectations for the Dogfighting Module(DFM) were so high, he'd rather spend some more time on it along with making the netcode 'future proof'. So instead of hacking something together that would only work for the DFM, the netcode is already usable for future modules as well. That and the Cryengine netcode in it's default state is just not adequate for what the DFM and by extension Star Citizen needs.

Come on, guys. Let's finally put an end to regurgitating one of Roberts' most obvious lies. It's bad enough that the Church of Roberts cultists at the official forums keep repeating that line.

The truth of the matter is that shit all across the board was simply not finished yet in December. The exterior models were not finished and neither were the interiors, the HUD was work in progress, all of the spacecraft systems still needed a lot of work (essential stuff like being able to target people and stuff like that), whatever they had that was actually working at the time was in need of major bug fixing and the list goes on.

The net code was one in a million items (admittedly a crucial one, of course) that still needed to be addressed. And just a quick memo: We still don't have a date for the DFM release. It was originally supposed to be out in December, then "late March, early April" (Roberts in MMORPG.com interview), then "shortly" after PAX and now [to be continued...]?

News Comments > Obsidian: New Kickstarter Hopefully This Year
15. Re: Obsidian: New Kickstarter Hopefully This Year Apr 26, 2014, 04:47 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on Apr 26, 2014, 04:25:
That logic is terribly flawed. Let's say that Obsidian did as you suggested. They finish PoE and release it. What if it sells poorly? What if the backers were the only ones interested in it?

Easy as pie to answer that one: Abandon the project and the business model since it didn't work out for them.

Now Obsidian is screwed because they have no revenue and nothing for the PoE devs to work on.

Obsidian have always been mercenaries. They'll get work for the team whether it's a Star Wars, Southpark, Fallout, Dungeon Siege or whatever RPG. Besides their teams always seem to be fluctuating a lot with a lot of crossover where e.g. dev A works on game A, B and C on and off depending on the phase of development that game A, B or C is in.

14. Re: Obsidian: New Kickstarter Hopefully This Year Apr 26, 2014, 04:38 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Apr 26, 2014, 03:04:
And you can be sure that in addition to the KS funds, they added whatever extra they had lying around. This is a passion project. They'll be lucky to cover that, especially in an era where no one wants to pay more than $5 for a game. It might be years before they make a profit, and you can guarantee it won't enough to fund their next game. Whatever they're doing next, if it's not mass market and publisher funded, they'll need to KS it.

This is bullshit, dude. Obsidian fully intends to establish Infinity engine v2.0 with PoE. Passion project my ass (OK, maybe a little but seriously...). They are hoping to capitalize on it big time by either making sequels or spin-offs themselves or licensing the engine to 3rd parties. They want all of the BG, Icewind Dale, PST multi-million $$$ action and then some. PoE is the showcase and if all goes well they'll make some major dough by laying the groundwork with PoE.

Good for them though that their "we're on bread and water, have a shirt to spare?" PR seems to be working on some people. They are going to need that kind of spin, too, when they return for second takings on KS.

8. Re: Obsidian: New Kickstarter Hopefully This Year Apr 26, 2014, 01:48 CJ_Parker

Agree with Cutter. Obsidian has used Kickstarter to fund PoE. That's fine but it needs to become self-sustaining from there on out. The whole point of KS should not be to raise money and burn it on a project with zero return on investment but to raise money and build a working business model from it.
Having to return to KS for more monies is a clear sign of incompetent leadership, poor budgeting and a profound lack of foresight.

I backed PoE but I'm sure as fuck not backing any other shit made by Obsidian. They need to create the new game from the income generated by PoE. Remember how all of this was supposed to be NOT like the publisher model? Here's a quick memo for starters: I'm not a cow. Don't try to milk me. Make your own milk. We fed you the clover. Now grow and prosper on your own.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
11. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 22, 2014, 02:26 CJ_Parker

There is never a time to ditch any babe, booth or not.  

News Comments > Risen 3: Titan Lords Trailer
10. Re: Risen 3: Titan Lords Trailer Apr 18, 2014, 16:57 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 01:14:
Slashman wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 01:01:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 17, 2014, 23:01:
Shame that they're discarding the pirate setting in favor of a more generic fantasy setting. I thought Risen 2 did a great job with the pirate stuff.

You seem to be in a minority on that front. Doesn't seem like most folks liked it.

Most folks didn't like the combat, which is a fair criticism considering that it was pretty janky and there was no way to dodge attacks (though they later patched in a dodge move).

I didn't hear anyone complain about the pirate theme or its implementation, though. Quite the opposite, in fact. Many people who had never played the first game or any of the Gothic games were intrigued by the teaser trailer which showed off the pirate theme. Can't say the same for this teaser trailer, which is Generic Fantasy 101.

If you'd visit the typical RPG/PB fan websites like RPGCodex, RPGWatch or the WorldOfRisen you'd find quite a few posts of people who were turned off by the pirate setting. There is a reason why they are going back to a more traditional setting in Risen 3 and that is mostly the lack of popularity of the pirate setting among the Gothic/Risen fan base. The fans love pirates as a faction or NPCs but they apparently don't like being forced into the role of a pirate in a rather pure pirate setting.
Also, while a matter of taste, I would definitely abstain from calling the pirate setting in Risen 2 well done. It was a very poor man's ripoff of Disney PotC pirates with just about every lame cliche thrown in for good measure. It just wasn't a very convincing setting in the way they designed and executed it.

News Comments > Risen 3: Titan Lords Trailer
2. Re: Risen 3: Titan Lords Trailer Apr 17, 2014, 20:10 CJ_Parker

That was retarded.  

News Comments > Frontier Gains Elite Rights; Braben to Sell Frontier Stock
15. Re: Frontier Gains Elite Rights; Braben to Sell Frontier Stock Apr 17, 2014, 13:32 CJ_Parker

loomy wrote on Apr 17, 2014, 11:47:
Either way, hostile takeover. David Braben does seem cut throat and spiteful to me. He got his wish thanks to the backers. And his good work!

Where are you getting that impression from? Throughout the entire KS campaign of ED and the development process so far, Braben has come across as one of the most likable leading figures in video gaming history to me.
He is very smart, knows exactly what he is talking about, humble, down to earth and able to communicate his goals and vision very clearly.
It's funny how he is almost the exact opposite of Chris "Showboat" Roberts who went from a pale, chubby, grizzled nerd in a jumpsuit at the start of the KS to a change-jingling nouveaux riche yuppie in a suit with dyed hair as the millions kept rolling in.
Braben on the other hand has managed to stay grounded with his humble British understatement where actions seem to be much more important than words to him.

I hope that both games will be very successful to bring the space sim genre back to life but on a sympathy scale Braben ranks so much higher than Roberts it's not even funny. Just watch the progress diaries some time (ED YT channel) and I'm sure you'll agree in no time that Braben is a cool dude.

News Comments > Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M
136. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 16, 2014, 12:00 CJ_Parker

Beamer wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 10:41:
BitWraith wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 08:38:
Bluesnews community logic:

Game company gets 50 million from Electronic Arts: "Bah! EA is evil! These guys have sold out! How dare they get their funding from such an evil corporation!"

Game company gets 50 million from private crowd-sourced investors: "Bah! This is a scam! These people are ripping everyone off! Where is all that money going?"

How do you people expect these folks to get their games made? Of course they're not spending this money on development. They making a profit - good on them for finding a business model that works for them. Do you seriously expect these guys to work at a completely even margin? Spending only exactly what is needed for development? They might actually want to make some money off of this.

The only issue I have is that $50mm doesn't seem nearly enough for what they've outlined. And buying $100 shops for a game that may never come out, or that may end up useless to you if the game does come out, is dumb. Otherwise? If they pull this off awesome, everyone wins. I'd they don't awesome, only idiots lose. Whole thing seems so they right now that arguing is pointless. This isn't some new interested product, it's a new untested yeah and we have little evidence to draw inferences from.

Dude did you write that when you were stoned or was you using some cheap-ass speech recognition software that garbled shit up like that?!

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers
138. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 12, 2014, 20:18 CJ_Parker

saluk wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 18:25:
What I think is going on with the helmet, (speculation here obviously) and other aspects of this project, is that there are a bunch of animators and artists who are employed, but the actual code and engine is taking a long time to finish, so they are kind of sitting around with nothing to do.

That speculation does not really have any basis in reality. If you watch some of the official videos you will see that everyone is extremely busy creating the ships and environments. Chris Roberts is obsessing over detail so from landing gear animations to damage states (starting at about the 03:00 minute mark) the art team is definitely under 100% load at all times.

Add to that that they are in the process of converting all of the existing ships to PBR (physically based rendering) and that several ships are getting completely reworked before they have even been finished (Idris corvette is being turned into a frigate, Constellation is supposed to get an interior overhaul etc.). Then they also got their hands full mocapping and transforming that data into workable assets.

Finally, consider that most of the announced ships are nowhere even near finished yet but only exist as concepts.
Seriously, that art team has metric fucktons of work to do. No time to twiddle any thumbs.

What's more likely regarding that helmet is that one of the studios (remember that the game is made across a half dozen studios in different countries and continents) that's working on apparel for Squadron 42 has been able to finish that particular asset in time for the DFM.
We'll probably see this much more often where the quality of assets will appear to be a little all over the place due to the fact that one thing has been made by the team in Montreal and another by the folks in Manchester UK and yet another one in Austin or Santa Monica or Monterrey, Mexico and so on.

News Comments > PAX East Panel Bullish on PC Gaming
8. Re: PAX East Panel Bullish on PC Gaming Apr 12, 2014, 15:43 CJ_Parker

nin wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 15:13:
CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 14:50:
What irritates the fuck out of me is that Chris Roberts is on a panel like this, making a PC exclusive space sim that has "play me with a 24 axes, 200 buttons HOTAS" written all over it, and then this dude demos his own freakin game with a fucking Xbox controller at that totally incompetent PAX event. Seriously... Que el fucko?!?

Which is exactly what he did in the initial KS video, over a year and a half ago.

I know. That was really insulting to a thoroughbred PC gamer, too. But back then with the extremely limited functionality (I mean the weapons were just for show so all he needed was up/down/left/right/accelerate/decelerate) it was at least somewhat understandable that maybe he grabbed the closest peripheral he had lying around.

But now with a game that is supposedly pretty complex in the space avionics department and given the fact that CIG have been heavily advertising for Saitek in recent weeks, you'd think he'd at least have the decency to grab that X55 Rhino to show shit off.

I mean what kind of "space sim enthusiast" would seriously play any fucking space sim with a fucking console controller?
That's just going full retard, man. It's like going to a Harley Davidson con without a bimbo in the back seat and riding a fucking Honda.

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers
125. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 12, 2014, 15:23 CJ_Parker

Drillo wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 14:23:
dj LiTh wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 14:11:
Drillo wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 14:09:
Ryan Lange wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 14:01:
dj LiTh wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 13:56:
Except in every other case where a game dev has a finite plan once funding is reached and then proceeds to meet those goals and not move the goal post back as development continues.

As I understand it, most of these stretch goals were already on the table; they were just marked as "if we have the money, we can hire the people we need to make them happen". As funding increases, they can "add" these features.

^ The point is to NOT set up un-moveable goals with the new features. But to roll them out when they are ready and are not rushed. Which goes to their pipeline scheduling and such. An as i said and another has said before. Almost all of these stretch goals from 500,000 to 35 million were all ideas from Chris Roberts ideas box and wishes and cut features of games like Freelancer and F2 and others. (Please things that Ben remembers)

He had a decade of thinking PEOPLE a decade...that's lots of planning. As he did his other hobbiy. (making movies)

Did he deliver on all those features of Freelancer? No he did not, whatever the reason.

That's an arbitrary question? in which you know the answer to already. So why even ask it? 4 years under development. With MS for Freelancer 2. As MS was about to switch from PC all the way to Consoles. They started to pull funding and asking CR to cut features and such and said NO their added idea. But they were reaching deadline...etc you know the rest. But the wiki post is not accurate almost at all and if people believe a wiki like that i have no idea whats going on anymore and Eric Peterson (Project manager for one of CIG studio) who was on that project said as much. They wanted it out and Freelance 1 was pushed out and then they went on to work on F2 and things were going and going an then things are more robust and things were cut again. An again MS was switching its focus. An then F2 was cut and CR left...after that. Given he did not want to work for publisher and suits that would governor. What he can and can't do in his game to make it better (or worse ;p).

Though much of the stuff he wanted was going to be heavy on the R&D side given the times. Which was another factor. His ideas were far to grand for the time pretty much and it overstepped designs and such. Now he can do those things without much problem at all.

But you can take what i said with a grain of salt.Given i'm paraphrasing what EP the Wingman said in one of his Hangover session with the community. Which was a long while back. An those are not recorded. (WHICH SUCKS!)

You can twist and turn this as you like (or as what you believe Peterson would like) but the fact remains that prior to the release of Freelancer 1 Chris Roberts was degraded from project lead to consultant.

This equals being laid off the project. Of course MS are professionals. They did not want Roberts to lose (too much) face and they still wanted him and his name associated with the project so they negotiated a consultant role with him.

MS was obviously tired of all the delays, excuses and poor project management so in the end they had to take Roberts off the project to actually get shit done.

I bet they basically gave him two choices: 1) Get off the project, assume a consultant role and let us wrap up this clusterfuck or 2) cancellation of the project with you and everyone losing their job and closure of the studio. Roberts chose the lesser evil with option no. 1.

On SC: I have been following the development of SC very closely and one can tell that CR has not really improved much in the project management department. He is really good at selling dreams but that's about it. Feasibility within time and budget constraints is obviously of no concern to him. His preferred MO seems to be to "figure shit out as we go - fuck plans and schedules".

The really dangerous part with the publisher-free SC is that contrary to Freelancer there is no one here to degrade him to consultant this time when/if the shit hits the fan. There's no one to set him straight.
Most of the community are slobbering fanbois (and realistically what they gonna do except some forum wars?) and I don't really see anyone among his employees who is the type to "have a serious talk with the boss", least of all Peterson who is CR's puppy dog on a leash.

If SC goes wrong then it's gonna hit the asteroid at max speed. One can only hope that Roberts gets his shit together and starts focusing on narrowing his vision down to a project that can actually be done within time and budget.

News Comments > PAX East Panel Bullish on PC Gaming
5. Re: PAX East Panel Bullish on PC Gaming Apr 12, 2014, 14:50 CJ_Parker

What irritates the fuck out of me is that Chris Roberts is on a panel like this, making a PC exclusive space sim that has "play me with a 24 axes, 200 buttons HOTAS" written all over it, and then this dude demos his own freakin game with a fucking Xbox controller at that totally incompetent PAX event. Seriously... Que el fucko?!?  

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Premium Beta
25. Re: Elite Dangerous Premium Beta Apr 10, 2014, 14:53 CJ_Parker

Quboid wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 14:49:
CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 13:59:
As for the ED premium beta: Shit doesn't even work. First the game does not install in the folder you choose at the start of the setup process but goes to AppData in C:\ all by itself (there is a workaround but -no- installing the game twice was not exactly my idea of fun).
Secondly, no proper controller support so my ship just keeps spinning in circles unless I switch to keyboard/mouse. Yes, I did try to customize the axes assignments and all that shit.

Color me highly unimpressed so far. I'm sure it will get better but a space sim that is unplayable with a HOTAS is like a car without a steering wheel. The very definition of completely fucking useless.

This is exactly the sort of stuff that if it bothers you, you should not play unfinished games. Did you spend hundreds of dollars on access to the ED alpha or beta and think there wouldn't be issues like this?

Well, the basic functionality like being able to choose a drive and folder to install to or working controller support (in a SPACE SIM!) is actually among the bare minimums I would expect for a beta (and a "premium" one at that! ), yes.

24. Re: Elite Dangerous Premium Beta Apr 10, 2014, 14:51 CJ_Parker

Harrowing wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 14:47:
CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 13:59:
As for the ED premium beta: Shit doesn't even work. First the game does not install in the folder you choose at the start of the setup process but goes to AppData in C:\ all by itself (there is a workaround but -no- installing the game twice was not exactly my idea of fun).
Secondly, no proper controller support so my ship just keeps spinning in circles unless I switch to keyboard/mouse. Yes, I did try to customize the axes assignments and all that shit.

Color me highly unimpressed so far. I'm sure it will get better but a space sim that is unplayable with a HOTAS is like a car without a steering wheel. The very definition of completely fucking useless.

People have been playing the alpha for months and HOTAS works fine. Check the Elite forums for solutions if you can't work it out yourself

Dude, the premium beta version is actually based off a much older alpha build than what the alpha folks are playing now. This version only has rudimentary HOTAS support. The alpha people even have a profile for the Warthog HOTAS but this beta just doesn't have that yet. Not sure why they released an ancient version as a beta but that's where the issues seem to be coming from.

21. Re: Elite Dangerous Premium Beta Apr 10, 2014, 14:46 CJ_Parker

Star Citizen PAX East live stream with the DFM demo'ed by the devs is starting in just a few hours. There is a countdown on the official SC website. A little over 6 hours remaining as of this post.  

1459 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo