Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 2257 (Senior)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > AMD Ceasing Mantle Optimizations
14. Re: AMD Ceasing Mantle Optimizations Jul 6, 2015, 20:30 CJ_Parker

Y'all are giving AMD too much credit. Microsoft would have improved DirectX 12 for the Xbone Windows 10 version anyway in order to avoid future headlines like "GTA VI: 1080p@60fps on PS4, 960p@30fps on Xbone". That's the sole reason they are doing it. Not AMD, not PC gamers, not the PC version of Windows 10. Those are merely byproducts.
Since they can't really relaunch the hardware, DirectX 12 was their only chance to give the ShitBox a boost.

And please don't believe for one second that AMD somehow magically made them aware of the slumbering potential within DirectX 9 to 11. LOL. Microsoft made DirectX and they specifically made it that way. They knew exactly that DirectX could have been optimized much more. They intentionally chose not to touch it because they never wanted PC games to outperform the original ShitBox and the ShitBox 360 even harder.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 6, 2015, 20:13 CJ_Parker

lololololroflcopt0rmegalolorcoast0r@xbone

A very well deserved loss for that piece of shit and its asshole creators at Microsoft.

But keep on withholding Tomb Raider from us PC players. Maybe it's gonna help you catch up. You stupid fucks...

News Comments > Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated]
50. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs? Jul 6, 2015, 13:54 CJ_Parker

Flatline wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 13:43:
InBlack wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 13:10:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 13:01:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 12:35:
SQ42 contains first person elements, but not full on FPS combat as I heard it.. but could be wrong.

Yep, you're wrong. They are now planning to implement full fledged FPS missions into Squadron 42. It is going to be a mix of space game and FPS.

Maybe it's more first person roleplay elements? That was definitely on the table during the KS. Walking around the hangar, chatting with crew and stuff..is all FPS too.

First person gameplay IS NOT THE SAME as first person SHOOTER which the 'S' in FPS stands for. Sheesh. Yes. First person gameplay (walking around the carrier ship, interacting with crew etc.) was always on the table but first person SHOOTER (in Squadron 42) has not been a part of the Kickstarter deal. Ever.

Not according to Zor. And Zor only speaks the truth.

Zor needs to check out the stretch goal page.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

It's understandable that he got confused. There's so many stretch goals that it's fucking impossible to keep track of them all.

I just want to know where my backer-exclusive 41 page document on how to overclock my ship's engines is.

Yeah. And as we can see FPS getting added to Squadron 42 was the $29 million stretch goal, unlocked on 11/22/2013. It was added in almost a full year after the KS campaign. The original backers never pledged for this bloated shit. Quote:

Enhanced Mission Design for Squadron 42 – The team at Foundry 42 has big plans for Squadron 42, and we’re going to provide extra funding to make it a true spiritual successor to Wing Commander! Squadron 42 can go above and beyond anything you’ve seen before. From opening with an epic battle instead of a training patrol to missions that seamlessly combine boarding and space combat, we aim to put you right into the action! Additional funding will let the team realize this, with enhanced mission design and more resources and animations to enhance fidelity.

42. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs? Jul 6, 2015, 13:01 CJ_Parker

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 12:35:
SQ42 contains first person elements, but not full on FPS combat as I heard it.. but could be wrong.

Yep, you're wrong. They are now planning to implement full fledged FPS missions into Squadron 42. It is going to be a mix of space game and FPS.

Maybe it's more first person roleplay elements? That was definitely on the table during the KS. Walking around the hangar, chatting with crew and stuff..is all FPS too.

First person gameplay IS NOT THE SAME as first person SHOOTER which the 'S' in FPS stands for. Sheesh. Yes. First person gameplay (walking around the carrier ship, interacting with crew etc.) was always on the table but first person SHOOTER (in Squadron 42) has not been a part of the Kickstarter deal. Ever.

41. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs? Jul 6, 2015, 12:57 CJ_Parker

Zor wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 12:32:
nin wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 12:06:
Dacron wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 11:58:
Tumbler wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 11:25:
Lotta bad news lately. I hope they can release the FPS module by the end of Sept and have something to show. That seemed to silence critics in the past.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that...

FPS delayed indefinitely

And if I pledged at the very beginning, during the KS, why would I give a fuck about the FPS module?

You may not, but whether you like it or not, FPS gameplay was always part of their SQ42 vision and it has to be developed for them to make what they want to make, which is what everyone's pledge money has gone to. Them making what they want to make. If that wasn't clear enough to you when you did the KS then you didn't read enough or understand at all what you pledged for and that is your fault.

HAHAHA and here is one of those newbie backers that I was talking about who is parroting and spreading lies.
This is simply untrue. Go ahead. Go to the original Kickstarter site and find us a SINGLE QUOTE that talks about FPS gameplay in Squadron 42. You won't find one.
The only FPS talk there was during the original campaign was with regard to boarding mechanics in the PU.

Squadron 42 was always supposed to become a very traditional good old space opera with, you know, space missions, not FPS missions.
Roberts changed the rules mid game and added in FPS to appeal to a larger demographic when he smelled and tasted all the sweet $$$ from the mainstream gamers rolling in.

31. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs? Jul 6, 2015, 12:30 CJ_Parker

nin wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 12:06:
And if I pledged at the very beginning, during the KS, why would I give a fuck about the FPS module?

BWAHAHAHA as a day 1 backer I asked pretty much this exact question on the official forums recently. Well, let's just say that if I wouldn't have brought my flame-retardant suit, I'd be looking like a very small charred piece of coal now.
The cultist white knight fanbois (with citizen numbers in the hundreds of thousands, i.e. late backers) schooled me that I pledged for the "wrong game" and that SC was always going to become a FPS and how the fuck I dare not know this. Too funny. The brainwash is in full effect.

* for those not in the know: During the original campaign there was only like a footnote on FPS boarding mechanics where a boarding party enters an enemy ship to kill the crew and take over the ship. A full-fledged FPS mode was not on the menu at all but added on post-campaign (and is now for some reason being done before the space game... awesome prioritization right there, CIG!).

P.S.: If the Mayberry departure is true then this is actually the second producer quitting in short order. Travis Day also quit and got a job at Blizzard last week.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
20. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 6, 2015, 12:10 CJ_Parker

jomisab wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 09:17:
Why are people pre-ordering Fallout 4? Are they afraid Steam might run out? Forchrisake, there aren't even any pre-order bonuses. Why give a company your hard-earned money now? Stop the insanity!

Same reason people kept preordering GTA V even though the publisher keeps treating PC gamers like lepers:

PEOPLE ARE RETARDS!!!

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 6, 2015, 03:49 CJ_Parker

Lord Tea wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 03:36:
Suppa7 wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 02:06:
nin wrote on Jul 5, 2015, 17:55:
Slashman wrote on Jul 5, 2015, 15:40:
nin wrote on Jul 5, 2015, 13:15:
Nice bump for Terraria. Looking forward to trying Styx albeit on the ps4, as it's free there in July.

So you're basically a low-down, rotten traitor to the PC master race is what you're saying... Police

I think the whole PCMR sucks ass, frankly. I go where the fun games are, and don't limit myself to one platform.

Sorry to say but consoles used to be equal or par to pc but the the general dumbness and idiocy of the masses dumbed down gaming (aka no more alpha centauri for you!).

Trying to reason with people who buy/use consoles has no effect in most cases. I know it's tempting but in my experience it's best to just facepalm quietly and then walk away. Saves you a lot of time and effort you can instead spend on playing a decent PC game.

Don't waste energy on a facepalm... just do it like this.

!PC4ever!

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Into the Black Jul 5, 2015, 00:41 CJ_Parker

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 5, 2015, 00:10:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 4, 2015, 23:11:

as someone who was/is stupid enough to have kickstarted this...

I'm hoping Chris Roberts realizes soon that his massive vision of super everything game is completely retarded and he should just concentrate on making his squadron 42 single player game.

Imo that's half the problem. The other half is the fans who spend hundreds and thousands with utterly unrealistic expectations just feeding the problem. Without a publisher to rein him in the only way to send a message is to stop the money taps. After the 2 year mark with little to show the donations should have stopped flowing.

Very true... just today a dude started this thread at the official forums. Well, he actually started it in "General Chat" but like anything remotely critical it was quickly swept under the "Concern" forums rug but that's just FYI.
Anyway, as you can see from his post he was suggesting that CIG divert some resources from making more concept ships for sales to other areas of the game to actually get some things done.

As you can see the reaction from the rabid fanbois was overwhelmingly negative. The vast majority of those braindead idiots want CIG to keep making more ships (that will get five overhauls before they even arrive in people's hangars - if ever ... I mean the current ship creep is beyond scary already due to just about every ship getting "adjusted", "revamped" or "fine-tuned").
And then they even go as far as digging up a dev quote (from Creative Director Ben Lesnick) who allegedly said that people working on ships can not be put to work on other parts of the game because they are too specialized. Yeah. Right.
No one actually posted a link to the alleged quote so I'm hoping for Lesnick's sake that he did not really say it that way. But for people to actually believe he might have said something that retarded speaks volumes about the mindset of some of those radical SC fanbois.

I'm pretty sure by now that the SC forums are home to the largest free roaming population of gigantic morons in the entire universe.
Rule no. 1: Anything that Christ Roberts or one of His minions is saying is gospel. Rule no. 2: Disengage own brain and refrain from any kind of (critical) thinking. Rule no. 3: Immediately attack anyone who dares violate rules no. 1 and no. 2.

It's absolutely unbelievable how this whole SC thing has totally turned into this cult of brainless money splurging zombies.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: TTTTTTTLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDDRRRRRRRRRRR Jul 4, 2015, 14:52 CJ_Parker

harlock wrote on Jul 4, 2015, 14:43:
btw, if you print that article at standard size, its 14 pages long

OMFG ... you didn't really print this shit now did you????

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: TransAsia crash pilot pulled wrong throttle, shut down sole working engine. Jul 2, 2015, 12:49 CJ_Parker

Very incompetent display of "skills" by the pilot (and FO). This can not happen if procedures are simply obeyed and followed. The procedures go as far as the FO is required to cup his hand over the remaining engine switch before the pilot is allowed to flick any switches. There is no place for hectic flipping of switches in a real world engine failure contrary to what we often see in movies.

A rather well known real world pilot's take:
Flying an Airliner After an Engine Failure on Takeoff

*snip*

A wise old CRM (Cockpit Resource Management) instructor used to tell all the pilots at my airline as we cycled through for our annual recurrent flight training and evaluations the same very shrewd piece of advice for this and any other flying emergency. He was a crusty, retired Air Force fighter jock who’d hammer this home: “Whatever happens, before you react, you take a deep breath and say to yourself, can you believe this sonofabitch is still flying?”

Even after that, we don’t react–we respond appropriately. That is, between the two of us, we agree on what we have, and that can only be three things: engine failure, engine fire/catastrophic damage, and engine overheat. Identifying the problem and the engine is important, because the corrective procedures differ.

News Comments > Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship
52. Re: Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship Jul 1, 2015, 20:44 CJ_Parker

NKD wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 05:19:
InBlack wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 03:22:
Im sorry jdreyer but that's not how it works. Throwing money at the game won't magically make it better, or even guarantee that it will ever be released. Nin (like myself and many others) signed up for something that has turned into something completely different, and more importantly with nothing to show for it. That is why he wants his money back.

Yep... that's why I cashed out. I was looking for a good solid space sandbox type experience with multiplayer. So far there's just a bunch of incomplete sub-projects and there doesn't appear to be an overall vision or a finish line.

A project doesn't work when you don't have a budget. It's hard enough to do project management in software in a conventional setting. When the amount of money you have on hand for the project is increasing in unpredictable spurts? You don't really know what you can afford and what you can't. It leads to overspending and underspending.

And this is coming from Chris Roberts who, as you said, is known for his problems with feature creep.

Instead of getting a polished title that fits within the budget, the game will be a mish-mash of broken shit. There's almost no reason to think it'll turn out any other way. I reserved judgement for a long time, but I've seen enough to know where this is heading now.

Chris Roberts is using a bunch of idiots' money to goof off in a way that actual investors wouldn't allow.

^ this ... and I mean 100% this

36. Re: Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship Jul 1, 2015, 01:15 CJ_Parker

By the way if anyone was wondering what kind of volume they are moving with a sale like this, it is 1,100 Genesis Starliners so far including melts which was more than double of what they expected.

For the non-SC folks: "Melts" refers to people who owned a package before (different ship) and melted it for store credits in order to buy a new $400 Starliner package.
For example, if you previously owned a $400 package you could do a straight melt, if you owned a $200 package you get $200 in store credit and then would need to pay the $200 difference in cash or if you owned a $600 package you could buy the Starliner and end up with still $200 in the bank (but only in non-refundable store credit for a future purchase).

35. Re: Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship Jul 1, 2015, 00:14 CJ_Parker

Deepjay wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 00:08:
There was a legitimate ship pack for $15,000.

_$15,000_

Oh there still is...

- Completionist Package - Only $15,000
- Wing Commander Package - Only $10,000
- War Pack - Only $5,000
- Fleet Pack - Only $2,700
- Battle Pack - Only $1,100

32. Re: Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship Jun 30, 2015, 23:47 CJ_Parker

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 23:15:
Wasn't there a "limited release" ship they charged $1,200 for? $400 must be a deal! Give me two! (not)

Yeah that was the dirt cheap Idris Corvette (which has been upgraded to frigate status ever since) but real men bought the Javelin Destroyer for $2,500. Please don't seriously tell me you don't have one of those.

News Comments > Minecraft PC Sells > 20M
15. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jun 30, 2015, 21:16 CJ_Parker

I ain't touching this casual garbage with a ten foot pole even if 20 million more buy this crap.  

News Comments > On Star Citizen FPS Delays
59. Re: On Star Citizen FPS Delays Jun 29, 2015, 18:25 CJ_Parker

Tumbler wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 17:43:
I think he's trying offer FPS elements and planetside elements in the SQ42 campaign. Sort of like how Halo has space flight in Halo 4 but it was primarily a FPS game? I think it's going to be the opposite of that. Mostly a space flight game with some FPS elements / missions.

Yeah... still really lame though. Back during the Kickstarter, the only talk of FPS was boarding mechanics where you hook up to another vessel via a docking collar or break through the hull by going EVA. And that was only supposed to be in the PU at some point.
Squadron 42 was always supposed to be a pretty traditional Wing Commander style space opera with first person gameplay only between missions when walking around the ship and talking to crew etc.
Now they're talking about ground-based FPS missions as part of S42. Fuck that. I pledged for a space sim, not a Mass Effect clone you CIG assclowns.

It is pretty clear where this game is headed now. They have already made the flight mechanics 100% mouse/keyboard friendly and it plays like a point&shoot space FPS (very Freelancer-like). They are obviously aiming for the FPS mainstream demographic now and no longer for the (hardcore) space sim fans. Oh well. It could have been nice, you know...

News Comments > GeForce Driver Hotfix
23. Re: GeForce Driver Hotfix Jun 28, 2015, 19:00 CJ_Parker

Rigs wrote on Jun 28, 2015, 18:50:
Edit: From the admittedly little I've really dug into it, the Fury X doesn't have Crossfire support right now anyway, which would explain why it had so much trouble.

Oh the FuryX does support crossfire (at least on paper and also in practice sometimes). It just seems to have a lot of random issues at the moment. That's the scary part about it. The randomness. There is nothing worse with hardware than sporadic or random issues that you can't really track down to a common denominator.

News Comments > Battlefield 2143 Images?
2. Re: Battlefield 2143 Images? Jun 28, 2015, 15:34 CJ_Parker

007Bistromath wrote on Jun 28, 2015, 14:37:
The answer is "no." They would've announced it at E3.

No they wouldn't because marketing rule no. 1 is to not cannibalize on your own shit and BF2143 would have stolen some thunder from SWBF.
So BF2143 might very well be in the works and start getting attention and announcements some time after SWBF has been released.

News Comments > GeForce Driver Hotfix
12. Re: GeForce Driver Hotfix Jun 27, 2015, 18:26 CJ_Parker

Rigs wrote on Jun 27, 2015, 17:23:
The FURY X (i'm waiting for the Nano, personally) isn't all about pure speed, which is pretty much the only thing you green tossers care about. It has a 4096-bit memory interface! What's the 980 got? 256-bit. Blech! HBM memory is going to wipe the floor with Nvidia this go 'round and they know it which is why they're abandoning GDDR for it too!

Ummm... so you are using special applications (it can't be games because the memory bandwidth is not that significant for gaming) that require this kind of memory throughput? Which apps would that be?

There is a reason why nVidia has not been using HBM yet. It's limiting (4GB is max right now) and expensive. nVidia are smart cookies. They will be using HBM when it's ready for prime time and are not going to deliver an undercooked tech demo like AMD.

The Fury is a weak sauce GPU. Its performance barely matches GTX 980Ti in select benchmarks but mostly it trails behind on GTX 980 level while the price is the same as the Ti.
The 4GB memory does become limiting in higher res scenarios.
Many of the review samples have suffered from both, coil and water pump whining. AMD has *supposedly* addressed the pump whine but reports of the first retail cards indicate that the issue has only been reduced, not eliminated.
Example video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ-nYJLiEh0
Overclocking is a no show. It's very limited even though the card stays cool. The limitation seems to be within the architecture which does not allow voltage increases. A fully overclocked 980Ti is running circles around FuryX.
According to some mags, the card does not work in conjunction with certain Asus boards (Z87 chipset). One mag tried testing FuryX in crossfire and it resulted in crashes and black screens. It didn't even boot.
Power efficiency has become better but is still no match for nVidia Maxwell.
Finally, even though relatively minor niggles, but no DVI and no HDMI 2.0 outputs is pretty weak, too.

Or as HARDOCP put it...
The new AMD Fiji GPU and Fury X video card looks awesome on paper, but has underwhelmed and disappointed us when it comes to real world gameplay. The AMD Radeon R9 Fury X feels like a proof of concept for HBM technology.

In terms of gaming performance, the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X seems like better competition for the GeForce GTX 980 4GB video card, rather than the GeForce GTX 980 Ti. GTX 980 cards are selling for as low at $490 today. This is not a good thing since the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X is priced at $649, the same price as the GeForce GTX 980 Ti.

(Editor's Note: AMD's Fury X is starting to show up at Amazon and Newegg this morning.)

Usually trying to decide between two video cards at the same price point is a wash, with very even and split performance. However, this is not the case this time with the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X and GeForce GTX 980 Ti. There is a definite pattern that leads to one video card being the best value for the money, and it is GeForce GTX 980 Ti, not the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X.

Limited VRAM for a flagship $649 video card, sub-par gaming performance for the price, and limited display support options with no HDMI 2.0 and no DVI port. To be honest, we aren't entirely sure who the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X is really built for? The AMD Radeon Fury X is a confusing product, like a technology demo not fully realized, a showcase for HBM only but with no real substance. The AMD Radeon Fury X looks to be a great marketing showcase, but its prowess starts waning when you consider its value to gamers and hardware enthusiasts.

Discussion

**Update 6/26/2015 On Overclocking**

Preliminary Overclocking

We've had some time now to do some preliminary overclocking with the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X. We have found that you can control the speed of the fan on the radiator with MSI Afterburner. Turning it up to 100% fan speed keeps the GPU much cooler when attempting to overclock, and isn't that loud.

For example, during our overclocking attempts the GPU was at 37c at full-load removing temperature as a factor holding back overclocking. We also found out that you will not be able to overclock HBM, it is at 500MHz and will stay at 500MHz. You will only be able to overclock the GPU. Currently, there is no way to unlock voltage modification of the GPU.

In our testing we found that the GPU hard locked in gaming at 1150MHz 100% fan speed 37c. Moving down to 1140MHz we were able to play The Witcher 3 without crashing so far. This is with the fan at 100% and 37c degree GPU. So far, 1140MHz seems to be stable, but we have not tested other games nor tested the overclock for a prolonged amount of time.

More testing needs to be done, but our preliminary testing seems to indicate 1130-1140MHz may be the overclock. This is about a 70-80MHz overclock over stock speed of 1050MHz. That is a rather small increase in overclock and doesn't really amount to any gameplay experience or noteworthy performance improvements.

We have at least learned that temperature is not the factor holding the overclock back, at 37c there was a lot of headroom with the liquid cooling system. There are other factors holding the overclock back, one of which may be voltage.

2257 Comments. 113 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo