Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 1327 (Pro)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M
136. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 16, 2014, 12:00 CJ_Parker

Beamer wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 10:41:
BitWraith wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 08:38:
Bluesnews community logic:

Game company gets 50 million from Electronic Arts: "Bah! EA is evil! These guys have sold out! How dare they get their funding from such an evil corporation!"

Game company gets 50 million from private crowd-sourced investors: "Bah! This is a scam! These people are ripping everyone off! Where is all that money going?"

How do you people expect these folks to get their games made? Of course they're not spending this money on development. They making a profit - good on them for finding a business model that works for them. Do you seriously expect these guys to work at a completely even margin? Spending only exactly what is needed for development? They might actually want to make some money off of this.

The only issue I have is that $50mm doesn't seem nearly enough for what they've outlined. And buying $100 shops for a game that may never come out, or that may end up useless to you if the game does come out, is dumb. Otherwise? If they pull this off awesome, everyone wins. I'd they don't awesome, only idiots lose. Whole thing seems so they right now that arguing is pointless. This isn't some new interested product, it's a new untested yeah and we have little evidence to draw inferences from.

Dude did you write that when you were stoned or was you using some cheap-ass speech recognition software that garbled shit up like that?!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers
138. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 12, 2014, 20:18 CJ_Parker

saluk wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 18:25:
What I think is going on with the helmet, (speculation here obviously) and other aspects of this project, is that there are a bunch of animators and artists who are employed, but the actual code and engine is taking a long time to finish, so they are kind of sitting around with nothing to do.

That speculation does not really have any basis in reality. If you watch some of the official videos you will see that everyone is extremely busy creating the ships and environments. Chris Roberts is obsessing over detail so from landing gear animations to damage states (starting at about the 03:00 minute mark) the art team is definitely under 100% load at all times.

Add to that that they are in the process of converting all of the existing ships to PBR (physically based rendering) and that several ships are getting completely reworked before they have even been finished (Idris corvette is being turned into a frigate, Constellation is supposed to get an interior overhaul etc.). Then they also got their hands full mocapping and transforming that data into workable assets.

Finally, consider that most of the announced ships are nowhere even near finished yet but only exist as concepts.
Seriously, that art team has metric fucktons of work to do. No time to twiddle any thumbs.

What's more likely regarding that helmet is that one of the studios (remember that the game is made across a half dozen studios in different countries and continents) that's working on apparel for Squadron 42 has been able to finish that particular asset in time for the DFM.
We'll probably see this much more often where the quality of assets will appear to be a little all over the place due to the fact that one thing has been made by the team in Montreal and another by the folks in Manchester UK and yet another one in Austin or Santa Monica or Monterrey, Mexico and so on.

News Comments > PAX East Panel Bullish on PC Gaming
8. Re: PAX East Panel Bullish on PC Gaming Apr 12, 2014, 15:43 CJ_Parker

nin wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 15:13:
CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 14:50:
What irritates the fuck out of me is that Chris Roberts is on a panel like this, making a PC exclusive space sim that has "play me with a 24 axes, 200 buttons HOTAS" written all over it, and then this dude demos his own freakin game with a fucking Xbox controller at that totally incompetent PAX event. Seriously... Que el fucko?!?

Which is exactly what he did in the initial KS video, over a year and a half ago.

I know. That was really insulting to a thoroughbred PC gamer, too. But back then with the extremely limited functionality (I mean the weapons were just for show so all he needed was up/down/left/right/accelerate/decelerate) it was at least somewhat understandable that maybe he grabbed the closest peripheral he had lying around.

But now with a game that is supposedly pretty complex in the space avionics department and given the fact that CIG have been heavily advertising for Saitek in recent weeks, you'd think he'd at least have the decency to grab that X55 Rhino to show shit off.

I mean what kind of "space sim enthusiast" would seriously play any fucking space sim with a fucking console controller?
That's just going full retard, man. It's like going to a Harley Davidson con without a bimbo in the back seat and riding a fucking Honda.

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers
125. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 12, 2014, 15:23 CJ_Parker

Drillo wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 14:23:
dj LiTh wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 14:11:
Drillo wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 14:09:
Ryan Lange wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 14:01:
dj LiTh wrote on Apr 12, 2014, 13:56:
Except in every other case where a game dev has a finite plan once funding is reached and then proceeds to meet those goals and not move the goal post back as development continues.

As I understand it, most of these stretch goals were already on the table; they were just marked as "if we have the money, we can hire the people we need to make them happen". As funding increases, they can "add" these features.

^ The point is to NOT set up un-moveable goals with the new features. But to roll them out when they are ready and are not rushed. Which goes to their pipeline scheduling and such. An as i said and another has said before. Almost all of these stretch goals from 500,000 to 35 million were all ideas from Chris Roberts ideas box and wishes and cut features of games like Freelancer and F2 and others. (Please things that Ben remembers)

He had a decade of thinking PEOPLE a decade...that's lots of planning. As he did his other hobbiy. (making movies)

Did he deliver on all those features of Freelancer? No he did not, whatever the reason.

That's an arbitrary question? in which you know the answer to already. So why even ask it? 4 years under development. With MS for Freelancer 2. As MS was about to switch from PC all the way to Consoles. They started to pull funding and asking CR to cut features and such and said NO their added idea. But they were reaching deadline...etc you know the rest. But the wiki post is not accurate almost at all and if people believe a wiki like that i have no idea whats going on anymore and Eric Peterson (Project manager for one of CIG studio) who was on that project said as much. They wanted it out and Freelance 1 was pushed out and then they went on to work on F2 and things were going and going an then things are more robust and things were cut again. An again MS was switching its focus. An then F2 was cut and CR left...after that. Given he did not want to work for publisher and suits that would governor. What he can and can't do in his game to make it better (or worse ;p).

Though much of the stuff he wanted was going to be heavy on the R&D side given the times. Which was another factor. His ideas were far to grand for the time pretty much and it overstepped designs and such. Now he can do those things without much problem at all.

But you can take what i said with a grain of salt.Given i'm paraphrasing what EP the Wingman said in one of his Hangover session with the community. Which was a long while back. An those are not recorded. (WHICH SUCKS!)

You can twist and turn this as you like (or as what you believe Peterson would like) but the fact remains that prior to the release of Freelancer 1 Chris Roberts was degraded from project lead to consultant.

This equals being laid off the project. Of course MS are professionals. They did not want Roberts to lose (too much) face and they still wanted him and his name associated with the project so they negotiated a consultant role with him.

MS was obviously tired of all the delays, excuses and poor project management so in the end they had to take Roberts off the project to actually get shit done.

I bet they basically gave him two choices: 1) Get off the project, assume a consultant role and let us wrap up this clusterfuck or 2) cancellation of the project with you and everyone losing their job and closure of the studio. Roberts chose the lesser evil with option no. 1.

On SC: I have been following the development of SC very closely and one can tell that CR has not really improved much in the project management department. He is really good at selling dreams but that's about it. Feasibility within time and budget constraints is obviously of no concern to him. His preferred MO seems to be to "figure shit out as we go - fuck plans and schedules".

The really dangerous part with the publisher-free SC is that contrary to Freelancer there is no one here to degrade him to consultant this time when/if the shit hits the fan. There's no one to set him straight.
Most of the community are slobbering fanbois (and realistically what they gonna do except some forum wars?) and I don't really see anyone among his employees who is the type to "have a serious talk with the boss", least of all Peterson who is CR's puppy dog on a leash.

If SC goes wrong then it's gonna hit the asteroid at max speed. One can only hope that Roberts gets his shit together and starts focusing on narrowing his vision down to a project that can actually be done within time and budget.

News Comments > PAX East Panel Bullish on PC Gaming
5. Re: PAX East Panel Bullish on PC Gaming Apr 12, 2014, 14:50 CJ_Parker

What irritates the fuck out of me is that Chris Roberts is on a panel like this, making a PC exclusive space sim that has "play me with a 24 axes, 200 buttons HOTAS" written all over it, and then this dude demos his own freakin game with a fucking Xbox controller at that totally incompetent PAX event. Seriously... Que el fucko?!?  

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Premium Beta
25. Re: Elite Dangerous Premium Beta Apr 10, 2014, 14:53 CJ_Parker

Quboid wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 14:49:
CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 13:59:
As for the ED premium beta: Shit doesn't even work. First the game does not install in the folder you choose at the start of the setup process but goes to AppData in C:\ all by itself (there is a workaround but -no- installing the game twice was not exactly my idea of fun).
Secondly, no proper controller support so my ship just keeps spinning in circles unless I switch to keyboard/mouse. Yes, I did try to customize the axes assignments and all that shit.

Color me highly unimpressed so far. I'm sure it will get better but a space sim that is unplayable with a HOTAS is like a car without a steering wheel. The very definition of completely fucking useless.

This is exactly the sort of stuff that if it bothers you, you should not play unfinished games. Did you spend hundreds of dollars on access to the ED alpha or beta and think there wouldn't be issues like this?

Well, the basic functionality like being able to choose a drive and folder to install to or working controller support (in a SPACE SIM!) is actually among the bare minimums I would expect for a beta (and a "premium" one at that! ), yes.

24. Re: Elite Dangerous Premium Beta Apr 10, 2014, 14:51 CJ_Parker

Harrowing wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 14:47:
CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 13:59:
As for the ED premium beta: Shit doesn't even work. First the game does not install in the folder you choose at the start of the setup process but goes to AppData in C:\ all by itself (there is a workaround but -no- installing the game twice was not exactly my idea of fun).
Secondly, no proper controller support so my ship just keeps spinning in circles unless I switch to keyboard/mouse. Yes, I did try to customize the axes assignments and all that shit.

Color me highly unimpressed so far. I'm sure it will get better but a space sim that is unplayable with a HOTAS is like a car without a steering wheel. The very definition of completely fucking useless.

People have been playing the alpha for months and HOTAS works fine. Check the Elite forums for solutions if you can't work it out yourself

Dude, the premium beta version is actually based off a much older alpha build than what the alpha folks are playing now. This version only has rudimentary HOTAS support. The alpha people even have a profile for the Warthog HOTAS but this beta just doesn't have that yet. Not sure why they released an ancient version as a beta but that's where the issues seem to be coming from.

21. Re: Elite Dangerous Premium Beta Apr 10, 2014, 14:46 CJ_Parker

Star Citizen PAX East live stream with the DFM demo'ed by the devs is starting in just a few hours. There is a countdown on the official SC website. A little over 6 hours remaining as of this post.  

19. Re: Elite Dangerous Premium Beta Apr 10, 2014, 13:59 CJ_Parker

dj LiTh wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 11:39:
Awesome, very much looking forward to this. Speakin of space sims, when is StarCitizen suppose to release that Christmas delayed dogfight demo?

Officially "shortly after PAX East", whatever "shortly" means in CIG speak. If you watch some of the recent dev videos you can tell that CR does not seem to be happy with the state of the DFM yet so to me it sounds like "shortly" in this context will be one of those "soon™" memes.

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2014, 14:06.

News Comments > Broforce Early Access
7. Re: Broforce Early Access Apr 7, 2014, 19:00 CJ_Parker

Needs more Megadeth 'Symphony of Destruction' playing in an endless loop at 357K decibels!  

News Comments > GameSpy Shutting Down Services
11. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 3, 2014, 19:43 CJ_Parker

Finally! This intrusive, ad-infested, data-mining, buggy piece of shit should have died a decade+ ago. Better late than never though so good fucking riddance to ya, LameSpy. You won't be missed.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $41M - Procedural Generation Plans
26. Re: Star Citizen Hits $41M - Procedural Generation Plans Mar 31, 2014, 21:11 CJ_Parker

fiftykyu wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 21:01:
Loved Wing Commander, but haven't been following this game at all. Other than to be confused by these regular "another milestone" messages, that is. Hope this question doesn't sound like one of those troll posts, apologies if it does.

How does it happen, exactly? Are the people who bought in to the kickstarter way back when buying more space stuff each month? Are new people finally hearing about it? From the outsite it's all a bit mystifying.

It's both. There is a constant influx of new people. If you check the Star Citizen website you can see a counter. It's currently at ~417K backers.
And then there is old backers who buy new ships or bigger ships or the biggest boosts of $2- 3 million in just a matter of days happened when they still had "limited time ship sales".
In essence it's people buying ships what drives the campaign on and on. The funding has slowed way down though ever since you can no longer buy ships with Lifetime Insurance (LTI) included. Insurance is supposed to be a minor thing but people went crazy about owning ships with LTI and that's how the money kept rolling in.

22. Re: Star Citizen Hits $41M - Procedural Generation Plans Mar 31, 2014, 20:59 CJ_Parker

Xero wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 20:46:
[VG]Reagle wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 20:38:
I investigated the Star Citizen craze to try to find out what was going on with the millions and millions of dollars of crowd funding and here is a full report of what I found:

1. A bunch of Star Wars Geeks are Star Citizen fan bois
2. Every time Roberts Space Inc Tweets a shiver goes up their legs.
3. Due to the Nerdgasm in the SC forums nothing can be discussed.
4. Every stretch goal makes a million dollars and they produce nothing

So Star Wars Geeks have a nerdgasm and shivers shoot down their legs and apparently money shoots out their buts. That is pretty much the extent of my findings.

After that well apparently the developers add another stretch goal and laugh their way to the bank while smoking crack and loading hookers on their yaughts.

Meanwhile, the game looks like it was made in 1999 with a free engine... Oculus Rift Support please...

Maybe Carmack will come and talk for 18 hours straight...that should get these nerds pumped up to donate $10,000 to become a platinum doner. Seriously...

So your not the only one that thinks these crowd funders are being taken for a ride? Good. This is a frikin scam. I can't believe how many people are falling for it. What game is worth 40 million dollar creation these days? Let me ask, how many people are on the team making the game? Now let's say each person on the team's salary is around 80,000 and I'm being generous, having 10 REALLY SOLID, EXPERIENCED programmers would then eat up 1 million worth of a YEAR salary. Ok, let's double the employees and say he has a team of 20 making each nearly 80,000. Still, that's almost 2million spent per YEAR on their salary BUT not even. WHERE THE HELL IS ALL THE REST OF THE MONEY GOING?!!!!

Ummm you could at least try to get a fucking clue before posting, dude. I'm not a Church of Roberts cultist but when people post dumb shit intervention is required.
Just some quick info: There are currently approximately 200 people working on Star Citizen (only a fraction of them coders... most people are probably involved in art asset creation, modeling, that kind of stuff). There are CIG studios in Austin, Santa Monica, Manchester (UK) and CIG is cooperating with various other studios e.g. in Montreal and in Mexico. This is a very high budget AAA game production.
Whether the end result will be as good as people expect is highly debatable but a scam this is not.

21. Re: Star Citizen Hits $41M - Procedural Generation Plans Mar 31, 2014, 20:52 CJ_Parker

[VG]Reagle wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 20:38:
I investigated the Star Citizen craze to try to find out what was going on with the millions and millions of dollars of crowd funding and here is a full report of what I found:

1. A bunch of Star Wars geeks are Star Citizen fan bois
2. Every time Roberts Space Inc tweets a shiver goes up their legs.
3. Due to the nerdgasm in the SC forums nothing can be discussed.
4. Every stretch goal makes a million dollars and they produce nothing

So Star Wars geeks have a nerdgasm and shivers shoot down their legs and apparently money shoots out their butts. That is pretty much the extent of my findings.

After that, well, apparently the developers add another stretch goal and laugh their way to the bank while smoking crack and loading hookers on their yachts.

Meanwhile, the game looks like it was made in 1999 with a free engine... Oculus Rift support please...

Maybe Carmack will come and talk for 18 hours straight...that should get these nerds pumped up to donate $10,000 to become a platinum donor. Seriously...

^ Fixed that for ya... and dude, seriously, if you repost that shit in every SC thread you could at least correct your typos instead of just c&p, ya know?

19. Re: Star Citizen Hits $41M - Procedural Generation Plans Mar 31, 2014, 20:44 CJ_Parker

Chris Roberts really is a smart cookie

Step 1) Promise the impossible and rake in the millions.
Step 2) Figure out that oh shit you have indeed promised the impossible and that you're never gonna make it this century unless...
Step 3) You declare procedural generation as the most ultimate goal and the total solution and sell people on the fact that it's gonna make the game so much more awesome which in turn leads to raking in even more millions.

News Comments > Game Reviews
10. Re: Game Reviews Mar 31, 2014, 19:38 CJ_Parker

nin wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 17:12:
edit: Not googling "loverboy" at work, sorry.

Pussy!

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trademark
14. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trademark Mar 29, 2014, 03:53 CJ_Parker

Deus Ex can properly suck my cock after that retarded stunt they pulled with the Director's Cut and that lame mobile spinoff.

TL;DR: Pass. Next.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2014, 20:13 CJ_Parker

Quboid wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 10:43:
VR is so separate from Facebook's business that they might actually have the sense to leave it alone for a bit.

Zuckerfuck is not dumping $2bn on some shit to leave it alone.

News Comments > Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled
24. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 25, 2014, 21:12 CJ_Parker

Kosumo wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 21:10:
CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 21:02:
I wish I could shit down Zuckerfuck's hollow ripped off neck right now

Constipation?

No. Unavailability of Zuckerfuck and his hollow neck.

News Comments > Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled
20. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 25, 2014, 21:02 CJ_Parker

I wish I could shit down Zuckerfuck's hollow ripped off neck right now  

1327 Comments. 67 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo