Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 1666 (Pro)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Pillars of the Earth Game Announced
2. Re: The Pillars of the Earth Game Announced Nov 27, 2014, 14:41 CJ_Parker

Isn't one shitty Pillars game enough for this decade?

*ducks*

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Getaway Day Interviews
10. Re: Getaway Day Interviews Nov 27, 2014, 03:45 CJ_Parker

RavingArmy wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 18:54:
So, just to make sure that I'm getting this right and am not having some weird pre-Thanksgiving tryptophan hallucination: Braben hates DRM, hates the inconvenience that it imposes in him, went so far as to demand its removal from the first iteration of the game, but is perfectly OK with insisting on an always-on connection for the single player game he's sold to everybody else.

Yep, well, maybe *GASP* the official reason he gave for the online requirement was actually, you know, *BIG-GASP-AGAIN* NOT EVEN A LIE?
Imagine that! He could have actually spoken the truth that it's due to technical reasons and a lack of feasibility that no offline mode could be supported.
Fuck it. Let's get really wild and nasty and suppose that maybe imposing "DRM" via an online req did not even once cross his mind when the decision was made?
Unthinkable? Um, well, maybe... for that part of the world's population where brain size <= pea size.

News Comments > Getaway Day Interviews
2. Re: Getaway Day Interviews Nov 26, 2014, 13:25 CJ_Parker

Dude. The comedy gold laugh is on you. The part you quoted, emphasized and attributed to Braben was part of the question of PCGH and not something Braben said in response. Full quote for clarification (Braben's blurb obviously starts at "I think the coincidence..."):

PCGH: Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen share some obvious similarities. Funding via crowd, close cooperation and maximum transparency with the community, Sci Fi setting, PC focus, space ship simulation, two well-known "veterans" making their comeback with games like in their early years. Is this just by chance?

I think the coincidence is largely because of the rise of Kickstarter, which has started to democratise the publication process by letting people support the games they want. Demand for space games is at a high - largely because there hasn't been anything for a long time. Also the PC has been a bit of a forgotten platform by big publishing - with PC versions coming out months later than their console companion versions.

There is room for both, and I look forwards to playing Star Citizen once it is released (I am an Alpha backer in the meantime), but they will be quite different experiences with different release dates.

News Comments > On Sale
20. Re: On Sale Nov 26, 2014, 13:01 CJ_Parker

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 09:45:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 01:21:
True that. I also asked about the availability of the SP campaign back in August when they made BF4 a part of Origin Game Time and when someone confirmed that you can in fact play the campaign, I downloaded BF4, finished the campaign and uninstalled. Worked like a charm.

Each to his own I guess, but playing BF4 just for the SINGLE player? Ew, gross. :o

To be fair, I think I actually played one "full" round of multiplayer. Spawned. Was killed three seconds later by a sniper. Quit. Uninstalled.
Well, seriously, there's no point playing BF4-MP w/o all the DLC anyway so why bother. And even if basic BF4 is discounted, Premium is still expensive as hell. You're still almost paying full price for the base game plus Premium.
Nah. Fuck EA. I'm going to keep ignoring the Battlefield series until they return to a reasonable DLC pricing policy (which will probably be never).

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Nov 26, 2014, 01:21 CJ_Parker

True that. I also asked about the availability of the SP campaign back in August when they made BF4 a part of Origin Game Time and when someone confirmed that you can in fact play the campaign, I downloaded BF4, finished the campaign and uninstalled. Worked like a charm.

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Nov 25, 2014, 22:53 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 22:27:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 21:24:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 20:37:
BF3 for $5. Guess I'll wait until BF4 falls to that price so I can play through the SP campaign.

Just grab the Game Time version of BF4 on Origin - for FREE. You can play BF4 (DLC-less ofc) for a week which is plenty time to finish the single player campaign (six to eight hours).
It's pretty crappy by the way. Quite a bit worse than BF3's IMHO. But nothing beats free so why the hell not just play it, right?

Really? And it comes with the SP campaign?

Dude. Yes. How else would I have been able to play it? It's real!

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Nov 25, 2014, 21:24 CJ_Parker

jdreyer wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 20:37:
BF3 for $5. Guess I'll wait until BF4 falls to that price so I can play through the SP campaign.

Just grab the Game Time version of BF4 on Origin - for FREE. You can play BF4 (DLC-less ofc) for a week which is plenty time to finish the single player campaign (six to eight hours).
It's pretty crappy by the way. Quite a bit worse than BF3's IMHO. But nothing beats free so why the hell not just play it, right?

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Early Access
1. Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Early Access Nov 24, 2014, 20:22 CJ_Parker

Haha that is some VERY early access right there. There is hardly any game there yet.  

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS Health Detailed
33. Re: Star Citizen FPS Health Detailed Nov 23, 2014, 22:56 CJ_Parker

Flatline wrote on Nov 23, 2014, 21:33:
I'm even less impressed about this than before. Whoever said it was like a teenager's first video game project nailed it.

At some point the game has to be "fun" instead of "complicated". The fact that the developers aren't able to so far say "We want this to be fun so realism/complexity is taking a back seat here" suggests either really inexperienced devs, or a design crew that doesn't know how to say no.

+1

There are many proposed gameplay mechanics by now that show very clearly that Chris Roberts has A) been out of the loop for over a decade and B) has never made a (massively) multiplayer online game before and now C) has never made a FPS ever before either.
There is a reason why no one has made some of the "revolutionary" features of Star Citizen FPS gameplay before. Because they SUCK. And not just on paper...
Finally, rumor has it that CR is not very good at taking 'no's' from anyone so his designers are probably like "ok, whatever, boss" as long as they get their paycheck on time every month.

29. Re: Star Citizen FPS Health Detailed Nov 23, 2014, 20:27 CJ_Parker

Your quote just happened to be the last one containing speculation about how FD blew at least 30 million just on ED so I picked that one. Don't take it too personal.  

27. Re: Star Citizen FPS Health Detailed Nov 23, 2014, 19:59 CJ_Parker

Dacron wrote on Nov 23, 2014, 19:08:
30million is still nearly 47 million USD, plus kick starter / alpha and beta backers.

Quboid wrote on Nov 23, 2014, 17:49:
As I see it, they are different stages of the same process. People are angry at ED because the devs promised more than they could deliver. People are concerned about SC because the devs are promising a hell of a lot - which IMHO makes similar feature cuts/delays almost inevitable.

I can imagine the threads about cut SC content now....

Come on, guys. Do at least a little basic research and visit www.frontier.co.uk or read this article for starters. Then learn how they are a really big company of about 240 employees with many development teams and many games on many platforms developed in parallel at two locations in the UK and in Canada. The Canadian studio is relatively new so it shouldn't be a mystery where quite a bit of the IPO cash might have gone.
Elite Dangerous was probably their biggest and most prestigious project in the past two years or so but there is A LOT more to that company than just Elite.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Pros Banned
1. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Pros Banned Nov 22, 2014, 14:23 CJ_Parker

MUUUAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAAHAHAAAAA PWNED!!!111

^ to put it in true CS 0.7 fashion

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refunds Reconsidered
27. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refunds Reconsidered Nov 22, 2014, 10:44 CJ_Parker

Sgt. Rock wrote on Nov 22, 2014, 08:39:
What's all the fuss about?
I understand that offline would have been nice for people with really bad connects, modding and when the servers go down in a couple of years(then they'll probably release the server code).

People who really can't play the game because of their connection(or lack off) will get a refund and will have to get over the fact that they can't play the game.

There is an additional layer to the fuss. Thanks to the always online requirement, it is now also inevitable that everyone will be playing in the same player-driven universe.

Even if you play single player online, the universe you experience will be the same as for everyone else, meaning that discoveries, trade routes, mining belts etc. will all be shared.
Some people were hoping to have "their own universe" to explore offline so they could explore and exploit everything by themselves.

This is no longer the case obviously. The 24/7 gamers will be the ones pushing into deep space and discovering stuff first, being the first to exploit mining opportunities and lucrative trade routes etc.
Of course the universe is more than HUGE with 400bn systems but we'll have to see whether it's fun for the more casual single player online folks to always tread in someone's footsteps or if the game mechanics will allow players to at least feel like they are still having a rather unique experience.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Free Content
1. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Free Content Nov 20, 2014, 20:28 CJ_Parker

FREE?! Whaddayamean F R E E ??? This gotta be some kinda Trojan horse shit or something like that!  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy
68. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 14:38 CJ_Parker

Kajetan wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 14:15:
descender wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 14:10:
Stop. Using. Kickstarter.
Why? Because one prominent project goes belly up? I backed several games on Kickstarter which turned out very, VERY fine.

It's not just one. Larian Studios has failed to deliver on a whole list of promised features for Divinity Original Sin and they did the KS when the project was almost done for a final layer of polish and more content so any excuses they may have brought up smell like BS.
Or Chris Roberts.... "the dogfighting module will be released in 2013, no matter what". LOL. It came out the end of May 2014. Or the "limited ships" and LTI (lifetime insurance) that were never supposed to return after the KS campaign and that kept being sold time and again just for monetary reasons, of course.
Or Wasteland 2 backers who had to wait months for their physical copies instead of getting them at launch.
Or Obsidian who are too snobby to communicate delays directly to their backers and instead have revealed both PoE delays via 3rd parties.

The list goes on and on...

Fuck them all. Kickstarter, at least for video games, can go and DIAF.
I'm not giving ANY asshole developer my money for a fundraiser ever again. I might preorder the finished product close to release if it looks good. I might buy it at full price on release if it turns out well. But I'm no longer funding broken promises and delays.

56. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 14:14 CJ_Parker

Flatline wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 14:05:
While I find it kind of dirty pool to not allow refunds if you played in the alpha/beta I can sort of understand why.

I'd prefer and find it fair that if you bought into the alpha/beta you get the release price back, but the premium you put into A/B is non-refundable. That'd be fair.

Except.

How the F*ck do you do that with kickstarters? And to give kickstarters no refund while waiting and buying from their store gives you a refund would be bullshit.

So yeah, I can see why they went hardline and it sucks but I don't know how you'd do it without total refunds.

Well, so far throughout alpha and beta the game has always required an online connection. I think it would be extremely hypocritical of people to claim a refund for a game they have downloaded and possibly played for dozens or hundreds of hours only because it does not ship with an offline mode.
If they haven't had a problem with always online in alpha and beta then why would it all of a sudden turn into a deal breaker post-1.0?

I would, however, encourage FD to decide on a case by case basis like if someone has downloaded the game but played less than x hours (where x<= 10 or thereabouts) then still give them a refund, i.e. if online/game time has been tracked at all... I'm not sure about that. If not, then stick to the proposed policy. I think it's fair. You can never 100% cover everyone's individual fate but the way they are doing it seems generally right.

46. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 13:31 CJ_Parker

Beamer wrote on Nov 20, 2014, 13:10:
Server code just doesn't bug me that much. By the time servers go down this game will be $2.99 on Steam

Going by quotes from David Braben, ED will never be on Steam most likely. My guess is they want to sell everything from within the game and through their own infrastructure which would clash with Steam's TOS. So pretty much the same reason EA dropped Steam.

33. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refund Policy Nov 20, 2014, 13:01 CJ_Parker

The always online req is no problem for me so I don't care about all the drama.
However, the broken promise, as with many other KS devs before them, is a major problem. I am 100% done with pledging thanks to broken promises or poor communication of delays by Larian Studios, Obsidian, inXile, Cloud Imperium Games and now even Frontier which were the last bastion of faith and trust in my personal KS history book.

Such a shame. The promise of greener pastures on the non-publisher side just hasn't happened. It's all just the same shit.
Without getting too philosophical but the underlying problem is simply that there is humans involved. Basic human behavior like greed does not magically go away just because a developer is self-publishing. Everyone's an asshole!

By the way, as for releasing the server code if FD ever goes dark, what Braben has not said, of course, is that they will only release the source once ALL other options to sell the source code to the highest bidder have been exhausted.
In a real scenario where FD is forced to shut down ED, before any of us get their paws on the source, it seems much more likely it will be bought up by Zynga or some other online advertising/microtransaction driven venture.

News Comments > WoW Re-Passes 10M Subscribers
6. Re: WoW Re-Passes 10M Subscribers Nov 19, 2014, 20:27 CJ_Parker

CRACK RELOADED NOW WITH MOAR METH!!!11  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 4
9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 4 Nov 18, 2014, 11:13 CJ_Parker

Darks wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 10:51:
Just to much to play right now, This and DAI. Ughh, Dragon Age Inquisition has been great so far. Probably the best looking RPG to date. Wittcher 3 has a lot to live up to if they are going to beat DAI. But I have to resist playing this until I finish DAI.

Yep. Because looks is everything.

Or maybe not.

Dude. Seriously. In terms of RPG mechanics, story, characters and gameplay, The Witcher 3 is gonna fucking slam-dunk this DAI piece of shit so hard that the whole court is gonna implode earthquake style.

1666 Comments. 84 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo