Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Daniel

Real Name Daniel   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CJ_Parker
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 23:49
Total Comments 2256 (Senior)
User ID 24408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Age Of Empires: Castle Siege Released
7. Re: Age Of Empires: Castle Siege Released Aug 28, 2015, 13:15 CJ_Parker

Task wrote on Aug 28, 2015, 10:28:
Wow, Microsoft is really killing off their franchises I see.

"free-to-play medieval MMO tower defense game" - Pass

First it was AOE:O (failed), now this, and they shipped off MW to become a nickel-dime F2P as well.

Do they intend to do anything proper with their PC franchises? There may be some decent, non-nickel-dime f2ps, but the mere fact that F2P is a thing has seen the downfall of cherished games into the pit of mediocrity and despair :(.

You forgot Microsoft Flight Simulator which has been sold to Dovetail Games for another nickle and dime fest. DTG are currently developing a new flight sim based on MS flight sim tech and if Train Simulator is any indication then it will probably reach all new levels of DLC milkage.

I wonder why they haven't fucked up Freelancer and Starlancer yet. Probably just a matter of time until these incompetent Microsoft twats get around to it... although it almost seems as if they have completely abandoned those franchises since none of the games has ever even been released on GOG or any other digital format/platform.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 27, 2015, 20:01 CJ_Parker

I'd love to take turns with Lara's bewbs, too!  

News Comments > Evening Previews
1. Re: Evening Previews Aug 27, 2015, 20:00 CJ_Parker

So they replaced the snow textures from the Hoth map with sand textures and called it a "new and exciting" (of course!) map.

/slowclap

This piece of shit will win so many most disappointing game of the year awards it won't even be funny.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter
28. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Aug 26, 2015, 18:41 CJ_Parker

Axis wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 17:35:
D:OS was a innovative risk on a shoestring budget compared to Pillars which was tried and true with millions thrown at it, and D:OS came out on top just as one example.

What? D:OS was 80%+ done when they went to Kickstarter and they only did it for an extra layer of polish to make the game (even) better.
The game would have come out either way and it was a game in a successful franchise: Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity, Divinity Ego Draconis, Divinity Ego Draconis: Flames of Vengeance expansion and the Dragon Knight Saga bundle of everything Ego Draconis and last but not least Dragon Commander.

Every game development is risky. You never know how the market will receive a title. Instead of teaming up with a publisher, Larian went deep into debt to fund D:OS and luckily it worked out for them. "Shoestring" budget is certainly not true. The KS (again: at a time when the game was 80%+ done) added about a million dollars to the game's total budget of around €4 million so D:OS probably even had a slightly bigger budget than PoE because back when those games were in development €4 million was $5+ million.

17. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Aug 26, 2015, 12:24 CJ_Parker

The $25 thing is limited and the other one not.  

8. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Aug 26, 2015, 11:25 CJ_Parker

LurkerLito wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 11:01:
Larian has my support since they have actually successfully finished and delivered a good game that was done with a kickstarter.

A minor correction here: The first game was about 80% done when they went to Kickstarter for an "additional layer of polish".
Let's face it. They basically took advantage of the momentum back then. Kickstarter was very popular and Pillars and Torment paved the way right before them.
Would Divinity Original Sin really have been a much different game w/o the Kickstarter funds? Will Divinity Original Sin 2 really become a much different game depending on the outcome of the KS?

Seems very doubtful to me. I have no problem with them going for a because-we-can cash grab and the additional money might help a little here and there (e.g. marketing budget) but the actual *fate* of both games never depended on Kickstarter. Larian is strong and big enough to self-fund and self-publish.

News Comments > Bethesda Games on GOG.com
9. Re: Bethesda Games on GOG.com Aug 26, 2015, 10:55 CJ_Parker

ItBurn wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 10:47:
If someone here never played Daggerfall, they really should.

Nope. They should be really glad they skipped that piece of shit, save their money and instead play or replay one of the decent games in the series like every single one that came out after Daggerfall.

3. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Aug 26, 2015, 10:51 CJ_Parker

Tigger wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 10:34:
Is there any sort of project schedule or deliverable plan? They are quick to tell you all the awesome 1007 you will get but come up short on any sort of plan that describes how they will deliver.

Dude? It says "December 2016" on the delivery date. Knowing Larian they will -at best- make the alpha release at that time and the full game probably mid 2017 or towards fall 2017.
I have stopped taking KS dates serious a long time ago. They always give you a "cheat date" to make it look like the wait won't be too long but we all know by now that you need to add six to twelve months (or years if it's Christ Roberts) to the date given.

News Comments > Dying Light: The Following Trailer
4. Re: Dying Light: The Following Trailer Aug 26, 2015, 04:48 CJ_Parker

This is looking really good actually. If it wasn't a retarded zombie game I might even buy it but naaaaaaaaahhhhhhh... fuck zombies.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity: The White March: Part I Released
22. Re: Pillars of Eternity: The White March: Part I Released Aug 25, 2015, 15:23 CJ_Parker

jimnms wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 14:33:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 11:42:
Where is the mail updating people on how to get their free expansion etc.? Exactly. Nowhere to be seen.

That is some extremely poor communication as always from these guys. So no pledge. Ever. Again. kthx.

Check your inbox. I got an email at 11:54 with the info on the update and how to get my key.

Yup. Got it. On the day of release in the evening EU time after they said on July 1st that they would inform us "soon" .... /slowclap@Obsidian

10. Re: Pillars of Eternity: The White March: Part I Released Aug 25, 2015, 11:42 CJ_Parker

nin wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 11:23:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 11:20:
nin wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 10:10:
Are backer keys on the portal? I've not looked YEP! ...guess I was expecting an email notice.

You're expecting too much. They will never use Kickstarter update mails to inform backers of anything unless they have something new to sell.
Informing people of delays or that their free expansion is ready for key generation and download is waaaaaaayyyy too much work.
But I will strike back because for me it is also waaaaaayyyy too much work to ever pledge for any of their crap again. BWWWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAA. Take that, bitches!!!11

I get update emails all the time from them. Perhaps it's because you're such a twat?

Perhaps.

But on a more serious note: Please define "all the time". The last mail I got from these lazy fucks is dated July 1st (yes, I archive them all). I get mails from Frontier, Descendent, RSI or Portalarium at least once a week.

Anyway, Obsidian's glorious July 1st mail: Kickstarter update #100. With zero info on when the expansion will be available or anything on key generation or stuff people might actually care about. Instead just a lame-ass advert for their retarded card game that no one gives a shit about and some update for boxed copy (DVD) owners. Awesome. Not.

The update before that was on June 25 when they said they would announce the release date of the expansion "soon". It came out today. So where the fuck is that announcement? Where is the mail updating people on how to get their free expansion etc.? Exactly. Nowhere to be seen.

That is some extremely poor communication as always from these guys. So no pledge. Ever. Again. kthx.

5. Re: Pillars of Eternity: The White March: Part I Released Aug 25, 2015, 11:20 CJ_Parker

nin wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 10:10:
Are backer keys on the portal? I've not looked YEP! ...guess I was expecting an email notice.

You're expecting too much. They will never use Kickstarter update mails to inform backers of anything unless they have something new to sell.
Informing people of delays or that their free expansion is ready for key generation and download is waaaaaaayyyy too much work.
But I will strike back because for me it is also waaaaaayyyy too much work to ever pledge for any of their crap again. BWWWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAA. Take that, bitches!!!11

News Comments > More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen
134. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 25, 2015, 06:42 CJ_Parker

Kosumo wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 04:25:
Is it just me or when they say that all of this has not been done before, all I can think of is AC:Black flag, where you can seamlessly go form ship (pirate ship) to land (islands) to underwater and into sword fighting to running (pakkor) and many other thing, although in 3rd person. (plus the first person parts - although that had a load screen/break)

AC Black Flag was also made with many diffent studios (all Ubisoft) but had a publisher overseeing it.

It's the only Assassin Creed game I have played and I really enjoyed it (coming from a Sid Meier Pirates! fan)

The only diffence I see is that they are talking about it being multi player. (which is a massive diffenace I will admit)

Yeah. Or if you want a multiplayer example SWG which was pretty terrible but it had the Jump to Lightspeed space part with very large open space "levels" and also about a dozen massively huge open sandbox planets to explore. OK, you could not really climb into your ship etc. but that was more because they just did not bother doing the animations. SC won't have seamless planet/space or system-to-system transitions either.

SWG was also truly MMO (for better or worse) and had fairly little instancing while it very much remains to be seen how many players they will be able to cram into an instance in SC. The number has already dropped very significantly.
Christ Roberts originally talked about hundreds in the early days, then a hundred, then fifty/sixty/eighty depending on his mood and recent talk is that they are going to have to start with very low numbers like 20 players max in the same instance.

This number might or might not increase as the tech becomes better but with the "fidelity" they are shooting for, well, not really... unless maybe Christ Roberts descends down from the heavens and personally digs optic fibre lines from CIG HQ to every backer's household.
Or maybe he can actually find a way to transfer massive amounts of data at lightspeed+ through a wormhole or something. Now THAT would really be revolutionary and "not been done before" .

52. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 24, 2015, 13:51 CJ_Parker

PacoTaco wrote on Aug 24, 2015, 13:38:
I was looking forward to this game big fan of Wing Commander has anyone played it yet?

Yes, many people have played Wing Commander.

11. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 24, 2015, 10:45 CJ_Parker

I also support the legal action. Not sure what the retarded comments about Derek's own failures are about. If your bank screws you out of money then you have to be a banker yourself to be allowed to sue? Hardly...
Whatever he is doing or not doing privately or professionally on his own games bears no relevance to the case at hand.

I don't seriously believe that much will come out of this whole thing but I'm all for ruffling Christ Roberts' feathers so he gets a fucking wake-up call from the real world. God knows he needs it. The deceitful little clown still wants to make his army of fanbois believe that the FULL PU will be finished by the end of next year.
The endless stream of lies and the deception need to stop. Hopefully this action will at least accomplish more honesty on Chris Roberts' part.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
19. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 23, 2015, 10:01 CJ_Parker

Retired wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 22:54:
Nice post Cp. Anyone know if there is any success in blocking that traffic going outbound?

On a semi-related note: I have upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 but I'm still using Windows 7 on my two desktops.
I grabbed the following list of URLs from a website and blocked these IPs through my router (blacklist):

settings-win.data.microsoft.com
settings.data.glbdns2.microsoft.com
OneSettings-bn2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
watson.telemetry.microsoft.com
watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
win10.ipv6.microsoft.com
ipv6.msftncsi.com.edgesuite.net
a978.i6g1.akamai.net
win10.ipv6.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
en-us.appex-rf.msn.com
v10.vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
client.wns.windows.com
wildcard.appex-rf.msn.com.edgesuite.net
v10.vortex-win.data.metron.life.com.nsatc.net
wns.notify.windows.com.akadns.net
americas2.notify.windows.com.akadns.net
travel.tile.appex.bing.com
any.edge.bing.com
fe3.delivery.mp.microsoft.com
fe3.delivery.dsp.mp.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
ssw.live.com
ssw.live.com.nsatc.net
login.live.com
login.live.com.nsatc.net
directory.services.live.com
directory.services.live.com.akadns.net
bl3302.storage.live.com
skyapi.live.net
bl3302geo.storage.dkyprod.akadns.net
skyapi.skyprod.akadns.net
skydrive.wns.windows.com
register.mesh.com
BN1WNS2011508.wns.windows.com
settings-win.data.microsoft.com
settings.data.glbdns2.microsoft.com
OneSettings-bn2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
watson.telemetry.microsoft.com
watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

The somewhat interesting result of blocking these URLs was that I could no longer fully access Xhamster . It was completely irregular though. Many videos worked and some did not. Seemingly random. So apparently even Windows 7 phones home and prevents you from opening (Xhamster) videos. I haven't gotten around to testing yet which one of the URLs is responsible for the blocking. But when I removed the filter/blacklist all Xhamster videos worked again so it is definitely Microsoft interfering there.

News Comments > Risen 3 Graphics Rise
16. Re: Risen 3 Graphics Rise Aug 23, 2015, 09:40 CJ_Parker

Kajetan wrote on Aug 23, 2015, 08:55:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 23, 2015, 07:16:
I just really hope for PB and us that they can turn things around with Elex and make a more serious game that resembles the Gothics in terms of atmosphere, story, dialogues, lore, characters and so on.
Have you seen the Gamescom presentation? Elex will be Risen with lasers. And watching the devs talking about their new project like it is some boring, stupid crap, they simply have to do to pay the bills ... dont get your hopes up. Especially when the PB from today has nothing in common with the team from Gothic 1.

I have to say that my impression from Gamescom was a totally different one. I mean I share the fears that Elex could turn into Risen with lasers but as far as PB is concerned, I have not seen them (especially Pankratz) that enthusiastic in a loooong time. Björn Pankratz seemed genuinely very happy with how things are going. It was almost scary how cheerful and energetic he was in every presentation and interview.
It was a night&day difference compared to Risen interviews when he did in fact look and sound like someone who just goes to work to get the bills paid.

Anyway, I also have my doubts about their new game. It's a pretty wild mishmash of themes. Medieval fantasy with swords&sorcery vs. mechs and robots with plasma guns and jetpacks... umm... yeah OK.
I'm afraid they are overdoing it. When I listened to Pankratz and his wife, Amadeus and Harry at Gamescom I got the impression that they are now trying to squeeze and shoehorn every single one of their ideas into this one game.
We'll see. It will either all magically work out and become really good through some miracle or it will suck pretty badly. I'm not holding my breath. The setting and premise does not appeal to me overly much so this will be the first PB game ever that I will not preorder but buy at a discount later on.

14. Re: Risen 3 Graphics Rise Aug 23, 2015, 07:16 CJ_Parker

Jerykk wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 21:08:
If you're expecting AAA production values and polish, then yeah, you'll be disappointed.

I'm not expecting AAA quality. I was specifically talking about story, lore, dialogue, characters, quests etc. below. There are many non-AAA games that surpass actual AAA games especially in those categories.
But the entire Risen series just doesn't cut it. It is shallow kiddie garbage material, especially starting with part 2 when they went PotC and introduced Jaffar and the gnomes and Hoh-Ho-Ho Yaaaaarrrrr Mateys El Capitano Steelbeard. Gosh. What a silly stupid game.

PB's games have always fit firmly within the eurojank category. That doesn't make them bad, though. They carry a distinct personality that games like Skyrim and even Witcher 3 lack.

The Gothic games, yes, but not the Risen series. I'm a PB fan of the first hour. I played Gothic the day it came out in March 2001 and it blew me away. That was their magnum opus. Unfortunately unmatched to this day. Gothic 2 (+NotR) had better gameplay mechanics but it could never reach the awesome atmosphere and it had a much weaker story than part numero uno.

I definitely wouldn't skip the dialogue either, as its awkwardness and silliness is a big part of the game's charm (unlike Skyrim where the dialogue is about as bland and forgettable as possible). Also, how many other games let you turn into a parrot, use your monkey to steal stuff or hunt for suspicious ducks?

I disagree strongly on the dialogue. Risen 3 has poor quality pointless blahblah all over the game which -true enough- Skyrim has as well in places but at least Skyrim also has some really decent parts (Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood stuff especially). Can't say the same for Risen 2 and 3. It's all one big cringefest with poor voiceovers to add insult to injury.

On a side note, Skyrim really isn't a good example of an open-world RPG. Most of the quests are pretty terrible (go to random dungeon and kill random enemies), dialogue options are minimal, etc. Like PB's games, exploration is the strongest aspect of the game, except PB's games have much better dialogue, characters and quest design.

Gothic 1 + 2 maybe, partially... yes. But ever since then PB has not even come close to Bethesda's quality. Bethesda has some great serious stories in their games (not necessarily the main plot but some of the side/guild quests) that PB with their kiddie bullshit can only dream of. With PB it's always "Go pluck some carrots" LOL. Great quests. Yes. You're high, dude.
And the dialogue is really nothing special in the past few games. In fact it's abysmal in Risen 2 and 3. The Witcher 2 (and 3 from what I've seen.. haven't played it yet) run circles around PB's trite crap.
Anyway, I'm not looking to get into a Skyrim vs. Witcher vs. PB games pissing contest.
I just really hope for PB and us that they can turn things around with Elex and make a more serious game that resembles the Gothics in terms of atmosphere, story, dialogues, lore, characters and so on.
But please, for the love of God, bury the fucking retarded Risen series deep down in a dark and silent grave it can never escape from.

11. Re: Risen 3 Graphics Rise Aug 22, 2015, 20:58 CJ_Parker

Exploration and vistas is indeed just about the only thing this game has going for it. And partially also character progression but only in the non-combat skills as the progression in the combat skills is just making an easy game even more boring.

But the story, the quests, the characters, the dialogues and the lore is all very deep in forgettable territory and it's definitely one huge cringefest as Kajetan pointed out very correctly. It's a pretty silly RPG light kiddie pirate game (PotC FTW).

So it depends on what kind of gamer you are. If you are the type who just skips all the blahblah and every cutscene then it might actually not be too bad a game if you just go out there and explore the islands.
You can not really miss anything by skipping the blahblah anyway. If you explore carefully then just about every quest will auto-complete. The game does not spawn quest content (except on chapter resets) but it's there from the start so you can just goof around and collect the gold and xp in passing by.

At under $10 I would recommend giving it a shot if anyone is into open world RPGs. It would be ideal if you have not played a really good open world RPG like Skyrim or The Witcher 3 recently though because Risen 3 is several leagues below those games.

News Comments > Sword Coast Legends Head Start Plans
4. Re: Sword Coast Legends Head Start Plans Aug 22, 2015, 15:16 CJ_Parker

$239.99? Is Christ Roberts a consultant for this game or wut???

Anyway, I really hope they nail the single player campaign. The gameplay looked like fun in the E3 and Gamescom videos so I hope the campaign is not an afterthought like the horribly boring snorefest that was the NWN OC.
Guess I'll be waiting for single player campaign reviews and the Steam Xmas sale before taking the plunge.

2256 Comments. 113 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo