Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vince

Real Name Vince   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Numinar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 06:24
Total Comments 401 (Amateur)
User ID 24402

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > Underworld Ascension Announced
8. Re: Underworld Ascension Announced Jul 1, 2014, 10:58 Numinar

Yeah. Not much too it yet, might get active on those forums!

Such an amazing title. Never really worked out the sequel though.

Could really see something with combat mechanics like chivalry or better thought out Dead Island doing this justice. Co-op would be nice as well.

I've got a bit of hope for Hellraid but I doubt that will have much in the way of exploration/utility magic/conversation trees/sense of wonderment.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Planetary Annihilation Early Access Spotted at Retail
4. Re: Planetary Annihilation Early Access Spotted at Retail Jun 30, 2014, 10:05 Numinar

Who cares if they sold it for 1 million?

No need to protect consumers who cannot do a simple cost benefit on an EA title.

I payed steam sale price for this at Xmas... seems alright. It's no TA/Supcom yet though (And maybe never). But they can sell it for whatever they want as long as they let everyone know it's a WIP.

I bet they got a small number of enthusiastic community testers as well, much better than a horde of impatient demanding backseat designers.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
1. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 29, 2014, 08:52 Numinar

Good to know the voicework was not final, The Dink didn't bother me but that MP announcer was placeholder levels of bad.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 27, 2014, 09:04 Numinar

Ok, 40 is not plenty, that would make even me vomit... but 60 vertical for 16/9 is fine for people who don't sit 1m away from a monster telle. Stuff still ships with less then this?

Only examples I can think of are PS3 ports desperate to get a playable frame rate in comparison to their 360 version.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 27, 2014, 04:00 Numinar

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 18:24:
I just don't understand why consoles on a 60inch TV still have a FOV of 40. Can someone please explain this to me? Is it because they suck at processing and can't do 90 FOV?

The argument of sitting on the couch bla bla bla not near it bla bla bla doesn't fly. TVs are now far to large to accept that answer.

Because that is plenty for a 60" several meters away.

But agreed, they will get bigger, some people sit closer, and if it is a cross platform game they need to design it so that it works at up to 110. I do so balance issues though with wider FOV, so maybe locking it in isn't all bad.

Problem I've found in FPS is that it is trivial to increase FOV, but all your first person animations will be fucked up, bad, unless designed for it. That work is expensive, especially if the feedback doesn't come in till beta, it's just not going to happen. Dev's need to plan for it from the start.

News Comments > Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold
46. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 18:25 Numinar

Sometimes things are popular because they are good.

To me it evokes a kind of first person Dungeon Keeper. It may be lego, but lego with real dangers. Your shit can totally get blown up, and real consequences for mistakes in that you can lose valuable resources when you die if unable to make the corpse run in time.

Best server I've been on had the industrial mods installed. I hollowed out mountains for resources and built an open air temple invoking Phil Fishian ruins and mystery. Easily can loose days in it once I get in the mood. Will double dip on a split screen/console version once the young'n is a bit older.

Just wish someone would clone this fucker properly, with more persistancy, optimisations, emergent game systems and AI so we can have some kind of graphical multiplayer FPS Dwarf Fortress sim on the go.

But as it is, a unique-per-generation terrainscape with 9.3 million times the surface area of the earth, with it's own set or rules, mechanics, wonders and dangers would be enough for most children and some adults to be fascinated by for hours on end.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2014, 15:12 Numinar

Streets of Munchen are very quiet given the win in the footy.... guess everyone considered it a formality.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for a bit of territorial creativity Cutter, It would be nice for the locals to win a modern war at least once in history, but the Bundeswehr barely has the manpower to invade a Chzech Beergarten these days.

33. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 12:49 Numinar

descender wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 12:40:
You really can't compare the number of "active" steam accounts to the total number of "sold copies" of Minecraft. How many people bought Minecraft and said "oh, that's all this is?" and never ran it again?

You are correct. Dumb comparison. 2 different things, it was more to illustrate the scale of this monstrosity.

It's a game that will make a billion dollars if it hasn't already. A single. Game. Not a franchise, not a series spanning 10 years and 100 million in development costs over multiple titles.

Made by one guy, expanded and maintained by a few others, ported by a few handful more to every relevant platform.

You can almost hear the Activision executives crying at night, if you strain your ears...

Rarefied territory. Good work Hatty Hatttington Notch.

30. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 12:12 Numinar

Minecraft is almost competing with Steam in terms of subscribers, and you need to pay to be registered as a Minecraft user, at least $5-$20 depending on platform and when you got in. How many of Steam's 75million+ users are F2P only/paid less than $10 on their account?

In the short term he might make more money if he put it there, but he is in a position where word of mouth/cultural momentum will fill his sails and get him to 100 million and higher eventually (Because despite it's age, the clones have not come close for some reason) without a middle man other than a handful of peeps he hired to run Mojang/program ports.

Why give 30% to Valve to help you sell stuff on the internet? Anyone can sell stuff on the internet whenever they want for a fraction of that kickback. Steam is good to get your name out there, sure, Minecraft does not need that.

P.S. Love Valve, Steam loads on boot. Notch does not need it.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 26, 2014, 10:50 Numinar

RE: PS+

Guys, Towerfall is amazing. On a DS4 it's perfect. Make sure you get it!
Then you must source more DS4's and beer and friends to share with.

Got it full price on release, no regrets... wish Sony would send me stuff I didn't already buy on Steam months earlier though, not that they could have known.

Not quite as elegant as Samurai Gunn, and it takes a while longer before the OH SHIT THATS AWESOME feeling kicks in (Happens when you get the catch-arrow timing down) but feels a lot more dynamic with many more game modes and options to tweak. Plus co-op and SP modes that are really good.

News Comments > Titanfall Patch Incoming
8. Re: Titanfall Patch Incoming Jun 26, 2014, 10:45 Numinar

I liked the match and a half I played before the 580 shat itself with the famous little green squares. Not worth clocking the voltage up (again) for just a free weekend.

But that matchmaking, shit... if you cannot get me in a game in 30 seconds on a free weekend what are you doing EA?

That said I am on a 50mb pipe, most people probably didn't manage to finish the 50GB DL until sometime after the free weekend ended.

16. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 10:37 Numinar

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 10:17:
InBlack wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 10:14:
Its kind of sad to see that in the park though. Whats the point of going outside to play if they are basically still playing minecraft on their ipads or whatever?? Sigh...50 years from now kids wont even know what a tree looks like in real life, they will probably recognise one in a picture on their tablet of choice...
agreed
Some kids spend way too much time staring at the screens.

Depends what it's replacing. If it's replacing playing alone in your dank bedroom writing hateful crap into global chat then doing it socially (trash talk and all) is probably a good thing, much like LANS and couch gaming are healthier and more fun than playing alone over the internet drunk.

Moderate dose of vitamin D is also healthy, any way you get it. Depending on where this park is the air may be better or worse than what it is inside.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Jun 25, 2014, 19:08 Numinar

That was a (NSFW->) fucking good walkthrough.  

News Comments > Hello Games "Would Like" to Bring No Man's Sky to PCs
38. Re: Hello Games Jun 25, 2014, 17:48 Numinar

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 17:04:
Verno wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 16:04:
Minecraft on the consoles is arguably dumbed down anyway. It just hasn't affected the PC version so far which is the exception rather than the rule.

You mean the built in wiki to build things?

This is an improvement.

Unless you are telling me you preferred to find out all these for yourself, or think second screening/wiki reference is something that adds to a game. (I say in the middle of a Payday Addiction which is kind of similar, the wiki is constantly up on my phone, but at least there pre-mission research is thematic.)

Dumbed down is different to having an intuitive interface and game mechanics. I think some of the things console have bought to us (dynamic, mostly invisible HUDS, HOTAS controls and optimisations) are good. The handholdy, game playing itself mainstreamyness is bad, agreed.

News Comments > Hello Games "Would Like" to Bring No Man's Sky to PCs
6. Re: Hello Games Jun 25, 2014, 10:39 Numinar

I'm with you guys, my Spore-detector is off the charts here. But they seem like stand up guys.

Though, if it never leaves PS4 but lives up to the hype... would it tempt you to go console? Or would you boycott on principle and deny yourself a watershed moment in gaming history?

I don't see how the PS4 could render it, let alone at an acceptable frame rate and resolution for VR/Morpheus though I hope I am wrong. Probably cannot justify the PC upgrade I need for it if it does come our way.

News Comments > GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble
48. Re: GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble Jun 23, 2014, 05:13 Numinar

Don't blame CryEngine for Star Citizens performance. Chris Roberts was responsible for Strike Commander and Wing Commander III, games that were absolute beasts that most mere mortals couldn't touch until a cpu generation after release. But they were very awesome.

In fact, Origin was notorious for it in the day. Got a really bad reputation for it. Now we are all like PCMR come back! Make us cry and divorce our wives and take out loans for upgrades again!

And then the studio will shut down because they catered to a niche market of people who spend more on GPU's than entire mid range systems/consoles cost.

Careful what you wish for!

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 23, 2014, 03:41 Numinar

Go Payday! You infuriating, untutorialised nightmare you! I guess discovery is part of the fun, even if that discovery is through being kicked from public games for not understanding the stealth mechanics. (I think I have 40 hours and I still don't quite get it). I got in last free weekend and have not stopped since.

Hot tips from a massive noob nobody asked for:

-Don't buy any assets. The second you put your own money into a heist you guarantee someone will screw it up within 2 minutes. Especially on the stealth only mission. Those level 100 guys you just grouped with can buy them for one fraction of a percent of their piggy bank, let them do it.

-Second Screen. The missions are complex, unless you want to work them out the hard way (Which is probably fun with friends) have a wiki up on your phone/second monitor.

-The missions are randomised, vaults, camera rooms, guard and camera placement, civilians. It's kind of awesome. The game wants you to fail. Never take anything for granted.

-If you play PUG's expect to fail. A lot. I think we blow 9/10 missions... but a big payday with a good crew will net you millions. Keep at it till you MM with someone decent, watch and learn if you are unsure what to do, run bags, watch the street, control civilians.

-Get the armoured car missions while they are cheap, they have decent pay, are not too hard on lower difficulties and are straight out shooting. Might have to level up a bit to get some armour but otherwise they are a great place to learn the basics of interacting.

-Don't start a server without a level limit then complain about noobs joining and wrecking the game.

-Don't proselytise Payday 2... wait...

News Comments > Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped
14. Re: Far Cry 4 PC Graphics Gimped Jun 20, 2014, 11:01 Numinar

PCMR tears are so tasty!

I play most my games/spend most my time on PC, plenty of unique experiences there yet to turn up in a cheap, wireless couch based environment. But I find it hard to sell as a superior experience to people who just want to sit down and relax for a few hours a night.

And the fact is, PC-only games are for the most part uglier, buggier and less ambitious than most iterations of Ubisoft Game(TM). These new space sims may change that. Sure, Metro or Bioshock Infinite looks gorgeous on your $400+ GPU, but it's the same game, plenty of fun, looks fine and runs well on a 200 dollar 360 as well.

If you are allergic to 30 FPS/shitty PoV then thats sad. I can still lose myself in the chunky VGA glory of OG X-com, Doom or Tie Fighter. Gameplay is king.*

I'm not going to argue that a Ferrari isn't a superior experience to catching the bus, but it's a bit excessive to label those not on that level sub-human retards, which is the vibe I'm getting from certain parts of the internet these days. So funny watching people at once play the victim card and the superior human being card all at once.

*Yes, for Chivalry or racing games or whatever the people who used to play Quake play now you need the frames for the gameplay to work.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 20, 2014, 10:26 Numinar

It's 100x better than the DS3 for shooters. Not sure if it is as good as a 360 (Which I imagine Bungie had a fair bit of input on as well) but the deadzones seem tightened. Destiny was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to spending more hours with it and the DS4.

Other than that, sick burn bra.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale
56. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 19, 2014, 19:56 Numinar

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 18:07:
Do not buy Dead Rising 3. It is capped at 30fps on PC.

Boo hoo if that's a dealbreaker for you...

Many reasons not to buy a game, but FPS lock? A solid 30 is more than fine for most things unless you have a 400 dollar video card to justify.

Except for racing games, fuck that shit. What are they thinking.

401 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo