Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vince

Real Name Vince   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Numinar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 06:24
Total Comments 374 (Amateur)
User ID 24402

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Metro: Last Light - Faction Pack
1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Metro: Last Light - Faction Pack Jul 17, 2013, 03:43 Numinar

Wheres the Metro love? Nobody got it on discount?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
20. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 10, 2013, 11:49 Numinar

OR is going to have trouble going mainstream given how different people react differently and the lack of research into long term use, but it might end up being not much more expensive than Track IR and does something similar so maybe it will survive as a quasi niche-item, like high end video cards or racing wheels.

For some reason I could play non-stop without issue. Demo after demo... the friend who bought it over was shocked as they only survived 2-4 minute bursts while getting used to it. I also didn't get the full impact though. The 3d is flawless, but other than that it was a screen 2mm from your eyes that somehow maintained focus and had annoying borders in the periphery (like snow goggles). I had trouble feeling as immersed as I was expecting.

It was calibrated for my friends head/eye separation and whatnot as well so maybe my experience was not unique. Apparently it works fine with glasses, you just move the lenses further from your face and wack your spectacles in-between. Still does some things better than a monitor though so I will definitely get a 2nd or 3rd gen release once the ergonomics are nailed down and the resolution and head tracking are sorted out.

My wife was sick for an hour after the roller-coaster demo, wouldn't stop reaching out to touch stuff and was visibly freaking out about the height. So I'm kind of jelly. She has though avoided games since the 2600 so separation of the virtual from the real is probably a bit more difficult for her.

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Jul 9, 2013, 04:07 Numinar

This is really sad, I make sure that podcast is on the phone before I leave for work every Wednesday morning. He was brutal without being a prick, where as most internet citizens are just pricks. He was a good host that held the other personalities on the show together and kept them talking.

They didn't cover a lot of the genres I myself am into, but they certainly gave the downloadable and console titles all the respect or derision they deserved.

Also, I'm also 34 and play games all day. Very scared now... though maybe I should have always been. Hopefully he didn't get crushed by that Ms Pacman machine.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2013, 17:00 Numinar

Rogue Legacy is Worthy. I wish the art was a little bit better, say, Spelunky XBLA release style, but it does everything else right. Didn't touch any other game all weekend.  

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 30, 2013, 16:41 Numinar

Loving CoH2 except for one thing: At least one of the DLC commanders (at 4 or 5 $AUD) looks like it has a pretty killer combination of pre-existing abilities, which is better than putting a nice heavy tank there but still weak sauce. And it seems they cannot be unlocked legitimately either. Well intentioned or not, It disturbs me that Relic/Sega's live team could use MP metrics to drive imbalance in favour of the paid DLC instead of actual balance.

I guess this was a possibility with Opposing Fronts... but that package was a proper expansion and bargain that included 2 entire new factions, some maps and campaigns so like anyone who cared wasn't going to buy it anyway. it's a bit rich charging $80 AUD (Or even $50 USD) and then asking for another 20% on top for full functionality.

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins
25. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins Jun 25, 2013, 06:59 Numinar

Thanks DarkCntry, I guess I am spreading disinfo... I was worried they would paywall Tiger Tanks or somesuch.

By "That said, the DLC is really nothing more than a shortcut to unlock most of the stuff." Do you mean to say that all these skins and commanders are part of the XP unlock system? That's alright, no problems with that at all. Gots to make monies.

If not I think different combinations of abilities/call-ins can be powerful so it's strange to see a full price game put F2P style content behind a paywall. Even if it's not quite LoL style. Most my favorite call ins don't come with Guards Rifle for the Russians for instance, if there was a commander with that (possibly overpowered)combo behind a paywall that would annoy me no end. Missed pre-order so I guess I can wait for community feedback now anyway.

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins
21. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins Jun 25, 2013, 03:30 Numinar

Um, skins are O.K. but Commanders? Special call in units are attached to them, and we all know balance is impossible. Dick move son.

Civ 5 gets away with it, as it's not really a competitive MP game (it just pretends) and has more than enough content without DLC but CoH?

Game seems good though. Just disapointed it is not as revolutionary as the first release. This seems like it hasn't gone much further than ToV. Would have loved improvement to the individual unit AI, more of a zoom-out and an increase in weapons ranges, and some close combat stuff. Basically I want Men of War Assault Squad with CoH production values and UI streamlining.

And since Digital Mindsoft looks like they failed to crowdfund their new game, I guess I'll have to live with this.

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 2013, 03:49.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 24, 2013, 03:40 Numinar

RE: COH2.

Solo/co-op vs AI is how I like my ToV. This game seems to lack the "Be beaten back to your home sector, turtle, then fightback tooth and nail over a period of hours" feeling from the first game. Everything dies pretty fast and there does not seem to be such thing as a "defensive" position in terms of a permanent line of AT guns and support like in the first game. The front is always in flux which is it's own kind of fun, but you will lose units just because you are having awesome intense COH syle micro somewhere else.

Still feel this game is best when you control only 3-6 units in the same area. Strange the DOW2 didn't do much for me then.

News Comments > Scrolls in the Black After One Week
4. Re: Scrolls in the Black After One Week Jun 21, 2013, 12:25 Numinar

I don't know, for these smaller teams with complicated games QA is so expensive they will never be able to do it properly. Even Notch's millions would be poorly spent going into something that is not a sure thing. Paid QA, though important, is not the same as info from unpaid fans. Better in many ways, but never as brutally critical.

Why not trade good will/obsessive gaming culture for some feedback. Everyone gets what they want... you ever see a preview for a game and REALLY, REALLY want to play it RIGHT NOW?

The two I have had experience in, Airlandbattle, CoH2 and ARMA3 are much better for the pre-release program that's for sure, or we would be getting something worse at release. (Anyone who played Vanilla CoH or OFP/ARMA1/2 at release will know where I am coming from here)

There are also risks that a shit game will have itself revealed with no chance at retail so it's pretty ballsy if you ask me.

Knowingly paying for pre-release access is much better than getting a Beta masquerading as a full game in a box at release.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
21. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 16, 2013, 06:45 Numinar

I think MS have finally lost me... I don't care about "slightly better than Steam" DRM, or the price, or the slightly shittier ram, or the REAL consequences for being an abusive, racist, hacking, cheating shitbag on LIVE. It's the god-damned region locking. Current system is title by title and I've very rarely been stung by it.

Sounds like they are going all PS2 this time though. I don't plan on travelling/relocating to any internet-poor regions of the world, but I don't want to limit my mobility either. Just another edge case in MS's eyes I guess.

I'm still pissed that SCE after publishing one of my favorite games on the PS3, Motorstorm 2, shut down their online service for it while they still sell DLC, the system it is on and the game itself. EA-style dick move... so I don't trust any of them anymore. Maybe I can convince myself a 500 euro video card is a good idea.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
9. Re: Saturday Previews Jun 10, 2013, 07:29 Numinar

That planet seems spore-small... do they scale bigger than that? Maybe gameplay/performance need it to be that way? Or is it just the impression I am getting from the zoom transition? Any SupCom vets playing this that can re-assure me on this?

I remember never having enough ram in the second PC to LAN the bigger maps in TA properly. I love the idea of no artificial borders as much as it will hurt my turtly brain, but biiiiiiiig maps also have a lot to do with why I love those old games.

23. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 9, 2013, 06:31 Numinar

I'm all up for a bit of casual Shillery for products that actually do get the people working on them excited. Probably due to being complicit in such antics.

But some of this behaviour, known and unknown, seems like wartime propaganda. Which I guess it is. There are billions of dollars and thousands of jobs at stake if this console generation goes tits up for either manufacturer.

These consoles seem like they will be more similar to each other, and the PC platform, than any previously. For one to be Gods own gift and the other inherently shit seems counter-intuitive to me and it all comes down to one crappy press conference from one company and a whole lot of not talking about things from the other. Japan could sure use it's videogame monopoly back though, thats for sure.

News Comments > Blizzard's Unannounced MMOG Reset and Delayed?
36. Re: Blizzard's Unannounced MMOG Reset and Delayed? May 29, 2013, 04:31 Numinar

So they can the MMO and roll the assets into an Adventure Game! Yes!

The circle of life is complete, Hakuna Matata.

2. Re: Steam Top 10 May 26, 2013, 10:32 Numinar

If you like Half Life 2... buy Metro LL!  

News Comments > Metro: Last Light FOV Workaround
11. Re: Metro: Last Light FOV Workaround May 16, 2013, 15:05 Numinar

The slider is very easy to implement, the FPS animations are not (Much less of a problem in games where only a disembodied gun is rendered).  

1. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 12, 2013, 07:42 Numinar

Cannot recommend this enough, as long as you have at least one person to play with.

One of those games that actually works well with strangers in any case, at least those I've been matched with so far. I had to get over some of the abstraction but once I did I spent at least 3 nights up till 2am botching heists. Well worth the RRP.

News Comments > Total War: ROME II in September; Preorder DLC & CE Revealed
10. Re: Total War: ROME II in September; Preorder DLC & CE Revealed May 9, 2013, 17:54 Numinar

Rome is still my favorite TW game, such a huge leap in technology and character! Not that any since have been anything less than stellar. Current rig barely copes with Shogun 2 though. Hopefully I'll learn enough about heist planning from GTAV to pull off something new-rig worthy...  

News Comments > Hellraid Trailer
5. Re: Hellraid Trailer May 8, 2013, 14:37 Numinar

Not sure how many improvements are planned over Riptide, but 4p co-op with a bit more of the animation synchronised in third person view and I am IN.

News Comments > Project Hell Becomes Hellraid
9. Re: Project Hell Becomes Hellraid Apr 29, 2013, 18:53 Numinar

Skyrim + DI Co-op and analogue combat and I am all over this!

(Edit, hey, even if it is more Ultima underworld/3d Diablo thats also good).

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
4. Re: Saturday Interviews Apr 21, 2013, 06:43 Numinar

Awesome game is awesome. Paid attention to some of the previous issues whilst still maintaining that unique feel.  

374 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo