Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vince

Real Name Vince   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Numinar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 06:24
Total Comments 442 (Amateur)
User ID 24402

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > Arma III Karts Begins Unusual DLC Plan
4. Re: Arma III Karts Begins Unusual DLC Plan Jun 1, 2014, 16:27 Numinar

Good experiment. Just like with the horrible gameplay degrading DRM in Operation Flashpoint that affected legit users (including me), it's bold and may backfire.

But I would rather they try this and have it go to hell then for them to do the low-poly/texture method that makes people think the game looks crap, or split the user-base. I think the trick with this approach is to make sure the nag screens are classy, and don't piss off legit users who really do not have much use for the content they choose not to buy.

Hope that expansion is a sandbox co-op campaign but I am probably dreaming there...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
7. Re: Saturday Interviews May 31, 2014, 13:27 Numinar

Hate to get all SJW, but where as for us rape jokes/threats/references can be hilarious and abstract (outside of prison), for women this is something that in most parts of the world is a common reality so threats/jokes/references have a completely different meaning. Whatever this woman was saying, no matter how much it smelt of grade D bullshit, the backlash was not warranted as well as being beyond the usual levels of internet vileness and it boggles the mind that dudes out there think like this, and get riled up enough to write it down in a forum or email.

But Metroid? When this game came out men were still beating their wives with reckless abandon and driving home drunk from the local pub at 80mph through school zones. It's a bit of a relic of the late 80's, not an example of modern trends.

Which, to be granted, might actually be worse in some ways but still. Leave Samus alone! (Not that I or the vast majority of people who ever played that game got the 8-bit bikini reward, finishing Metroid in under an hour pre-internet or emulation would have been a big effort)

Or do I need to threaten rape to be taken seriously when defending our sacred cows?

News Comments > Rise of Nations: Extended Edition Next Month
12. Re: Rise of Nations: Extended Edition Next Month May 31, 2014, 07:27 Numinar

Yes! My favorite ever tech tree in the best ever real time civ game. Poor empire earth seemed so tryhard after this. I have fond memories of naval invasions and tabbing through that delightfully compressed but meaningful upgrade box.

As for Rise of Legends, was so excited for it but it ran like junk. Really felt like Cavedog with TA:Kingdoms all over again. Big Huge games is a sad sad story of what should have been a second Firaxis, but with a real time focus.

News Comments > PAYDAY 2 Free Weekend
9. Re: PAYDAY 2 Free Weekend May 30, 2014, 07:02 Numinar

Quboid wrote on May 29, 2014, 19:31:
Any Bluesnewsers play this?

Install ... requires 29GB, better put it on my HDD ... "You do not have enough disk space available". There's an error I haven't got for many years.

They recently patched it so it's a 6gb install instead of 30. Something about changing the way assets are loaded so they didn't have to duplicate them.

Steam warning is still horrifyingly large, but it is now inaccurate.

News Comments > Evening Patches
3. Re: Evening Patches May 23, 2014, 05:10 Numinar

Guys, totally get in on this. Great game. It's just like the original Elite!

But with... trucks. And instead of pirates there are smart cars trying to wreck your load.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
41. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2014, 06:50 Numinar

Icewind wrote on May 18, 2014, 16:59:
Actually yes, he means meme. It's the current subject of all the funny clips, funny in-jokes amongst the chan crowd and is the current "hip game du jour" that your chan/reddit posers play to seem cool to their friends.

Minecraft was and still is a terrible, terrible game that was surpassed by others but what pushed into the spotlight by the pathetically monstrous power of the chan crowd. They take dorky little pieces of filth like that game and Day Z, and throw their internet hipster weight behind them, making them something they weren't meant to be.

Go ahead, think the game is some high-minded exercise in software exellence, but anyone with a modicum of intelligence is aware that it's just there due to chantard meme-ization

I would REALLY love you to name a game that out-minecraft's Minecraft. Just one. Something with destructible terrain, multiplayer, the amount of content and player agency. If there is a game that surpasses it and makes it look terrible x2 I will apologise to you right here.

Waiting. Seriously, I was going to by Transistor this week but will go for this awesome game if it exists.

Seriously, I've spent money on worse looking for the next thing (Space Engineers for example). I'm not even trolling you. I want a creative/survival MP game that works better than Minecraft, so I can give the developer my money. Maybe it's more toy than game, but maybe the best games are. Playing inside an unlimited amount of lego is actually a really cool concept, or as you said, a "high-minded exercise in software excellence"

I have hundreds of hours on it and consider them all well spent. It's popular in the meme-world because it's not a handholding, scripted obstacle course like every other game, shit can happen in it that can be new and interesting. With most PC games the only thing worth youtubing is a sick bug or glitch.

Let me know when you find that game.

News Comments > Wolfenstein Launch Trailer
18. Re: Wolfenstein Launch Trailer May 16, 2014, 08:00 Numinar

Cutter wrote on May 15, 2014, 21:23:
jdreyer wrote on May 15, 2014, 21:00:
Well, then it would be DIFFERENT. Can't have that. Also, you'd like to play as the oligarchy stamping out the last remnants of freedom? No underdogs for you?

Personally, I like playing as the good guys.

Good guys? Who are they? Freedom? What's that? You're talking about illusions. About perspective and degrees. Nothing more. Fact is the Nazis has a lot of good ideas and policies. Sure they had their batshit crazy stuff too but who doesn't?

We are, empirically, better off without them. Even white guys like I imagine you are would be. If they were running the show most of your comments in this forum would seem too liberal and probably get you shot/enslaved/relocated along with everyone else who doesn't go along with the party line 100% and conform.

News Comments > Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Free Weekend
5. Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Free Weekend May 16, 2014, 03:34 Numinar

I'm totally with you all with the criticisms of CHIV, but I guess I've never been good enough for the mechanics changes to wreck my muscle memory. Getting drunk and crumpling people with my hammer like Robert Baratheon does not happen in any other game. I wish there was more like it, or my dream, a co-op version with AI in an Ultima Underworld style setup.

Between this free weekend and OFP going free forever (Which will hopefully get some more ARMA 3 converts), I wish someone had let me know so I could have organised a LAN this weekend and avoided the whole "I don't have it in my library!" bullshit that always happens. Maybe I can convince people to stay after work for some pythonesque violence instead...

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Announced
5. Re: Far Cry 4 Announced May 15, 2014, 13:06 Numinar

Awesome, the setting for Uncharted 2 was in this part of the world and that was sick.

Love 3. Even on 360 (After patch 3 or whatever) it was amazing. Bit worried it's hobbled with previous gen support this time but it was so impressive on at least one of those machines, and still scaled to PC I won't let it get to me.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Men of War: Assault Squad 2
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Men of War: Assault Squad 2 May 15, 2014, 12:56 Numinar

Quboid wrote on May 15, 2014, 12:34:
I liked the idea of CoH but could never get into the game for some reason and the underwhelming reaction to CoH2 put me off ever checking it out. Is this the third MoW?

Yeah, there are many others. Only MoWAS was truly solid though, the others were by another developer and were heavily scripted, bug ridden annoying and frustrating. Or maybe I'm just a noob. MoWAS is great though.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Men of War: Assault Squad 2
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Men of War: Assault Squad 2 May 15, 2014, 11:28 Numinar

Seemed kind of rough/incomplete when I tried a week ago... but a better optimised non gamespy MoWAS is important, and I paid for it. Even if it's crap I feel like I got that much fun and post release support from the first game that the money is not wasted.

Does anyone else like this AND Company of Heroes? I think they are both awesome but it's like Sony vs MS sometimes on those forums.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation May 14, 2014, 14:34 Numinar

As stupid as MS is being, don't you think that being on the internet probably exposes you more to intelligence agencies, malcontent hackers and corporate data-mining than a console? Even one with an (optional to plug in) camera?  

News Comments > 4A Games Expanding; Unannounced Metro Game Plans
3. Re: 4A Games Expanding; Unannounced Metro Game Plans May 13, 2014, 10:26 Numinar

Hopefully the lovely Malta weather doesn't negatively affect the gloriously miserable tone in Metro! Stay safe 4a!  

News Comments > Halo PC GameSpy Fix Coming
7. Re: Halo PC GameSpy Fix Coming May 13, 2014, 04:53 Numinar

Not only does it still have players, it still has small but active modding and glitching communities.

It's a landmark title, I know it's not a popular opinion in these parts, but in the context of it's time and it's competitors on PC (there were none on consoles), it did a lot of things really, really well and was a coherent, solid adventure and multiplayer product.

It had some pretty cool technology and design around it. No it wasn't a m/kb railgun match like every other PC game of that era, but the one button nades/melee/zoom moveset on a controller is actually quite empowering and tactile, and with a weapon set and AI that was fun to fight and play with.

I don't think it feels great with the mouse, so still prefer the original game (Not the emulated one on 360) and thats not the ports fault, this is what you get when you tune a game specifically to one kind of input.

News Comments > Capcom GameSpy Shutdown Update
4. Re: Capcom GameSpy Shutdown Update May 13, 2014, 04:28 Numinar

Good thing I never double dipped on Age of Booty! Still have it on Xbox, great little game. A sequel would have made for a sick moba style beer game.

edit for sperring.

News Comments > Alien Isolation Video Diary
8. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2014, 05:43 Numinar

Rigs wrote on May 12, 2014, 01:05:
Until reading the premise for this game in an interview, I never even realised that Aliens took place long after the first movie and that she had been in cryo for a long time. Was that explained in the beginning of the movie when Burke comes to see Ripley at the medical ward? Maybe I just didn't pay attention. I was under the impression all these years that LV42...uh, 6? whatever...was a different planet that they just happened to run into the xenos on...

Game looks really good though... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

Yep. Ripley asks "how long" she was in cryo, and Burke shows her a picture of her well aged daughter before breaking the news that she has already died. Or at least thats how I remember it. It's part of why she takes to Newt the way she does. Fuck that is an amazing movie (Some people cannot get over the cowboys in space feel of it compared to the awesome horrific original, but what's the point in making the same thing twice?)

News Comments > New RollerCoaster Tycoon PC Game This Year
2. Re: New RollerCoaster Tycoon PC Game This Year May 7, 2014, 13:14 Numinar

Lets make a ridiculous microtransaction focused entry on PC to go with IOS for this incredibly popular and profitable series.

Then our victory over all that is good with RCT is complete and they will forget those foul, complex, rewarding predecessors!

Chris Sawyer and Frontier will roll in their respective graves once they die. RIP RCT.

News Comments > Space Engineers Sells 500K
9. Re: Space Engineers Sells 500K May 7, 2014, 07:29 Numinar

Really love this, so much potential. Haven't lost myself in it like Minecraft or Kerbal, which it is the unholy stepchild of, but the tech feels impressive.

I think it may be more reliant on the shared experience/multiplayer aspect as unlike Kerbal or Minecraft, there is not a solar system/universe to explore.

Also the crafting hurts my head. Takes some getting used to.

News Comments > PC Minecraft Sells 15M
5. Re: PC Minecraft Sells 15M Apr 30, 2014, 14:14 Numinar

I want to cry, this is such a good story about a product and a supportive developer getting the attention and mullah it deserves.

Just waiting for more real post-mine-craft games (A proper Dungeon Keeper or accessible Dwarf Fortress game seem like natural successors)

For too long we have been told destructible terrain, emergent systems through simulation, content that requires either effort or research to see instead of being fed to you, and games that have no money for a patch after the 3rd one. Millions of 12 year olds are showing us otherwise. I wonder if any of the AAA or B stables could ever come up with something like this?

Haven't played in a while since my server and a few weeks worth of work and imagination went bye bye but I'll be back, after Kerbal which is 100+ hours and counting and is the closest thing to it I can think of to it, may it also prosper.

News Comments > Dead Island: Game of the Year for OS X
3. Re: Dead Island: Game of the Year for OS X Apr 29, 2014, 04:22 Numinar

Heads up! If you have this on Steam you can already play it on OSX as of several weeks ago I believe.

Or if you are considering purchasing, that is probably a better place to start due to the way Steam handles the social aspects/match browsing. Gamecenter and Steam do not play together either, but Steam OSX should be fine with PC friends.

442 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo