Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vince

Real Name Vince   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Numinar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 06:24
Total Comments 302 (Amateur)
User ID 24402

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Planetary Annihilation Kickstart
11. Re: Planetary Annihilation Kickstart Aug 16, 2012, 11:13 Numinar

I always expected Total Annihilation 2 would go for the whole globe thing... probably well beyond the power of PC's at the time. Probably beyond the power of PC's now, hence the cartoon graphics. Removing map borders as a strategic consideration is cool though, chokepoints will have to be made with defences.

The interplanetary stuff is just gravy. I imagine it will work like the Superweapons and Bertha batteries in TA, where your opponent builds them to funnel your efforts towards them and away from his secret power stationss.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Wings: Director's Cut Kickstarter
15. Re: Wings: Director's Cut Kickstarter Aug 13, 2012, 07:25 Numinar

On the Amiga the bombing run was from above, like Raiden, and the strafing was isometric, like awesome! Both very cool. The mission structure and persistence were very cool. It did a lot of things very well and very modern.

I think done properly the gameplay will still hold up. Pirates! Was even older (And yes, deeper) but the mini games mostly held up very well in the remake. The dancing was a bit boring but hey, so were aristocratic women of the time!

Even if you don't like it, a successful port will surely lead to someone taking on ICFTD and Rocket Ranger!

News Comments > Star Lords Announced
9. Re: Star Lords Announced Aug 4, 2012, 06:23 Numinar

No game in the genre has approached the awesomeness of Master of Magic or the first Master of Orion (not that MOM 2 was a bad game mind).

Unfathomably complex is not what those games were. Deep, involving, emergent and atmospheric yes, but not brain burningly obtuse. All these indie games just don't seem to get it, but good luck for trying and you keep getting my money anyway as I try to scratch that unscratchable itch (Well, until I get the old 486 dos machine out of storage again).

Hoping the UFO:Ememy Unknown remake turns out good. The Pirates! Remake Firaxis made almost nailed it, and in some way was superiour to the original. If they get XCOM right I'll start a kickstarter for them to get the rights to those other two great Microprose TBS games.

News Comments > Civilization V Patch Adds Steam Workshop Support
5. Re: Civilization V Patch Adds Steam Workshop Support Jun 16, 2012, 01:21 Numinar

O.K. After two years, have they opened this puppy up for a project the scope of Fall from Heaven 2?

I've wasted many a dollar on commercial products I would hope bring that game into the future. I honestly think it's better than Master of Magic in most ways. Warlock was much less and the star dock thing ruined star dock for me. Come on modders! Don't go make junk and money for IOS! get crackin'.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
24. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 23, 2012, 06:25 Numinar

That Wargame EE needs some love. Everyone go buy it and give it some serious time. Now that I have gotten over the lack of gesture formation control I've come to the conclusion that this is the true successor to Ground Control/World in Conflict.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Men of War: Condemned Heroes
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Men of War: Condemned Heroes Apr 12, 2012, 16:31 Numinar

Yeah! A team or B team? I couldn't find out... looks like the kind of thing the B team would do, which will mean a crappier game than AS.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Leaked
42. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leaked Mar 5, 2012, 13:11 Numinar

Rah rah rah evil xbox pirates! They got it a week early, so what.

I wager the number of sales is lower on PC, and the percentage of pirates vs buyers is higher for these big release heavily marketed games. This is why developers whinge about the PC. Less money, more making shit for cunts who wont pay for it. Don't act all hard done by and holier than thou with your "And they say PC gamers are the worst!" Business. We kind of are.

I'm sure there are plenty of dudes here who have been a bit short on funds one week, not quite sure if that bug ridden euro release is worth it, or have the wife complaining about all the money going to steam on the credit card invoice. A quick torrent download whilst you are eating lunch and you are probably up and running faster than steam or EB could manage without endangering steak night.

Casual piracy is rampant on PC. I imagine it's is partaken by the majority of "Enthusiasts" like us on some level. Where as a committed Modchipper is beyond redemption, he is probably a significant minority within the console userbase that does not cause the kind of headache the pandemic PC ISO release disease does for the beancounters at your favorite devloper inc.

News Comments > Crusader Kings II Postmortem; DLC Plans
5. Re: Crusader Kings II Postmortem; DLC Plans Mar 4, 2012, 02:15 Numinar

I had no problems with rebellion with my third and greatest ruler who held the throne from under a regency until he was 73 years old. He had 5 wives, 2 mistresses and 2 failed crusades under his belt along with the unification of Ireland. He also carried the nickname "Bewitched" and considered himself possessed for most of his life.

He could raise 3.5k men in a day and fought off the French and Scottish Kings, and even took an expeditionary force to Burgandy to help the duke win his independence. Everyone loved their delusional sex crazed king.

Problem was he had kids. Many, many kids. Under multiple wives. And as soon as he gave the 4 oldest their duchies they were at it. I tried to give my immediate heir the choicest plots, but he was not happy. He had to try to murder the juvenile sons of his brothers and half brothers. I tried to cool his heels in the slammer, perhaps I needed to do more. I've had 5 generations of this now. Constant assassination, murder, grandchildren marrying each other, revolts, poor levies. Taxation is going ok as I've upped my infrastructure in the home counties so I've been able to mercenary my way out of invasions and civil war but I yearn for that golden age where my biggest problem was figuring out what part of Europe I wanted to be king of next...

So yes, revolts are aggravating. But you probably have only your own poor parenting choices to blame.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Feb 11, 2012, 11:49 Numinar

I never played any SW FPS past Dark Forces which I absolutely adored. I felt betrayed by popularism at the time (Lightsabres, wtf?) I'm sure they are all great though now that I've outgrown my teen snobery.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Cannon Fodder 3
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Cannon Fodder 3 Feb 9, 2012, 13:46 Numinar

No, you have it all wrong. You leave him lying in his uniform, dying in the sun. And it's perfectly O.K.

Amiga 500, the way it was meant to be played circa 1993.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Cannon Fodder 3
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Cannon Fodder 3 Feb 9, 2012, 12:05 Numinar

This has just got to be terrible.

But maybe it wont be! Maybe war will never be so much fun... again!

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 7, 2012, 00:51 Numinar

No, Blue is correct. XCOM is our first and last defence against alien viri!  

News Comments > A Game of Dwarves Details; Trailer
4. Re: A Game of Dwarves Details; Trailer Jan 21, 2012, 18:51 Numinar

Dwarf Fortress isn't going anywhere. Let people like me live in hope that something similar but more accessible is possible.

And the mechanics are nothing that a context sensitive drop down menu couldn't handle. And the emergent fun would still be strong without all the minutia of the simulation... though keeping that intact would be preferable.

The digging RPG genre has a long and storied history of wasted potential and there is a space on my shelf/steam favorites list for a good one. Bring it!

News Comments > True X-COM Sequel: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Revealed
18. Re: True X-COM Sequel: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Revealed Jan 5, 2012, 12:52 Numinar

Happy happy joy joy!

This could turn out horribly but those quotes will allow me to burn down the house that Sid built if they fuck with me so I imagine that it's legit. Xcom is back bitches! And with less compromises than I could ever have imagined!

News Comments > EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling
14. Re: EA Won't Appeal AU Syndicate Ruling Dec 24, 2011, 09:59 Numinar

Hello! The original Syndicate was the first game I ever convinced my dad to shell out $80 to. It was awesome on Amiga, and even better on PC-CD (I think it only took up 10 meg on the disc... but still, CD!).

I still have not purchased L4D2. Valve screwed us by releasing the lame-version here... EA did the right thing here. it's better to just not release. Puts more pressure on the industry/people with money to lobby for change.

And the aesthetic needs to be severe. It was in the original. Some imagination was required but the theme and world were well realised as brutal and soullessly uncaring. It's a pretty big leap from 80 pixels to HD-stylised realism and the trailer nailed it! I just hope the 4 player co-op has more of that small team in a sprawling cityscape feeling of the original, because those single player movies don't have that. That's wishful thinking though and it will probably just be more wanky corridor shooting.

As for Aussies being racist, that is true of many of us yet I've seen far worse from Englishmen and American gentlemen. Excuse me I meant yanks and poms. I've met far less of them than I have my fellow Australians so that's pretty solid science right there. Egalitarianism is native to these lands despite the terrors of history and prejudice so I think you lot can give us a break hey?

News Comments > Total War: Shogun 2 DLC
1. Re: Total War: Shogun 2 DLC Nov 30, 2011, 22:48 Numinar

Wow, blood patch looks terrible! I got this straight away as I was hoping for a little bit more verisimilitude Myth:The Fallen Lords style. But it's lame close up, so very, very lame. Do not purchase.  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Patch
13. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Patch Nov 26, 2011, 08:50 Numinar

wow, the two best RPG's of the last few years get a DRM related patch of uselessness within a week of each other. Awesome.

Skyrim ran better with the 4g patch before, but post patch I NEED it to go more than 5 minutes without a crash. Now I get one every 10 hours or so, STILL NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Big love though, both games. Good work everyone involved in making them, you complete me.

News Comments > On Sale
24. Re: On Sale Nov 25, 2011, 06:11 Numinar

I just grabbed everything for about $23 US. Should have stuck with Skyrim, which also cost me twice as much as it cost you guys but I already had that and probably wont even install NV for a while. Why does everyone thing everyone in this colonial backwater is so rich? (Goes back to smoking cubans, drinking glenfiditch and playing expensive RPG)

No more sales for you Steamy!

News Comments > 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim
44. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 07:47 Numinar

Yeah, I did come across a bit strong there... I'm like one of those aggressive missionaries who cannot handle how others cannot feel the love of their messiah. "Come on guys! It's awesome! You just have to believe!"  

News Comments > 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim
42. Re: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Skyrim Nov 13, 2011, 05:39 Numinar

As a multi system gamer I've been able to adapt to the UI. I feel sorry for you guys, you seem all stuck on a fairly minor issue if you can get over the INSULT that you're control system of choice was not accounted for.

I find myself fumbling at the keys a lot less than with Morrowind or Oblivion. I'm not sure If I could go back to using a Sam and Max interface in my RPG again to be honest, with the whole hover over a picture of something to see what it is and it's properties. I'm able to sort through this one pretty fast. Lack of stats and properties being listed makes it lose some of that old school RPGness but that's a sacred cow worth slaughtering to make it feel more natural (I think Attack speed and reach are still there anyway as far as I can tell, it's just not spelt out for your barbarian brain).

That's just me though. I genuinely feel sorry for people getting upset, annoyed or being forced to stop playing this game due to the UI. If I was in the focus group though I'd have given it a big thumbs up, console baby that I am.

Last ATI card I ever buy though! Is it AMD or the developers? Do devs just all ignore AMD stuff or is AMD really just that useless? Runs nice but I shouldn't have to tweak out the mouse to get it bearable. It's been a recurring problem in a few games recently.

Also, I take back the props I gave Bethsoft for making a game that only crashes every 3 to 6 hours. It still sucks that it crashes at all! Fix please! Although it's probably my ATI card again...

302 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo