Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vince

Real Name Vince   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Numinar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 06:24
Total Comments 377 (Amateur)
User ID 24402

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2013, 08:30 Numinar

On the bright side, at least there is a large segment of Conservative America actually aggressively promoting facts regarding geological history instead of pandering to young earthers!

And now I am even more scared. My daughter has to grow up in this mess you monsters.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag PC Trailer
14. Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag PC Trailer Oct 29, 2013, 15:31 Numinar

Strong opinion there mate, so that's awesome. I get passionate about games as well. And Sid would not argue your description that Pirates! Is a collection of arcade mini-games. Along with a multitude of simple simulations and subsystems that bring the world alive and generate events.

But to have absolute, insane HATRED for something so universally acclaimed as genius that it still holds up extremely well today, predating and heavily inspiring the games you are rooting for confuses me. Are you stuck with no wind, trying to return to the Bahamas from an expedition to veracruz with a mutinous crew and no Grog or something?

Original, GOLD!, Amiga, remake, I would recommend all of them to anyone, anytime except the ones ported to console or phone, and even they are well short of being terrible.

When I saw this game I said to myself "Ubisoft, please share this tech and a couple of million hours of your art department with 2k so they can reboot that sucker again!" So the comment referencing that survivor of the golden age of PC gaming made me glow inside... and then I read your comment and began to worry for the world.

Soulless, bland eastern European games with terrible user interfaces, system specs too high for their low image quality and more bugs than a late 1990's version of Windows sometimes turn out really, really well. But with few exceptions they are not a replacement for titles such as Pirates! Tie Fighter, Master of Orion or other pinnacles of their art. Not yet anyway and Akella's games are far, far from being worthy of being mentioned among this crowd of legends.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut
28. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut Oct 25, 2013, 15:30 Numinar

Happy Day! 5 Euro upgrade for a game I spent 7.50 total on and never played!

Pile, I mean unplayed digital library of shame has come through for me! Yes!

Maybe I will ignore for a little bit longer for patching as I assume some post release support will come along with the monetisation. The original is a classic and one of my favorites. A clunky, nasty looking classic that really paid off once you finally got used to it's junk everything that wasn't level design or branching narrative/story. Hope this one scratches that itch.

News Comments > CoD Ghost Requires 6MB of RAM
44. Re: CoD Ghost Requires 6MB of RAM Oct 24, 2013, 03:39 Numinar

This is an outrage. They have any idea how much my 512kb chip ram upgrade cost for my Amiga 500? I only just upgraded it in 1991! I wanted to get at least 25 years out of that upgrade. I'm not made of money!

Guess no CODDOG for me this Christmas...

News Comments > Total War: ROME II DLC Free for a Week
5. Re: Total War: ROME II DLC Free for a Week Oct 23, 2013, 04:45 Numinar

Yeah, that sucks... I held out for a freebie from work then bought the game a day before it came through but after release so no free Greek DLC preorder. 12 euro seems a bit steep and the worst kind of DLC.

Fortunately, free Seleucid civ! Way better than those stinky OG Greeks, but with all the phalanxing a man needs.

News Comments > Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Free Weekend
6. Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Free Weekend Oct 21, 2013, 06:29 Numinar

Yeah, it does have a large amount of jank Ant, especially with the server browser but glad you enjoyed it anyway.

Had my first ever FFA win after 60 hours played... yes, F2P weekend probably had something to do with this but I was against some much more experienced players as well. Awesome tiebreak with the map timer going negative while I scrambled for a kill. Not my favorite gametype but now and then it's pretty refreshing and helps me work on my very rusty quake-era kill-stealing skills.

News Comments > More Free Endless Space DLC Next Month
4. Re: More Free Endless Space DLC Next Month Oct 19, 2013, 10:45 Numinar

That time of the month AM? That link doesn't really give the kind of info he was looking for and I can see why he would hope that someone on these boards would be able to succinctly summarise and post about had they had the experience.

But hey, it's the internet. How you want to be perceived is a choice you have full control over.

News Comments > Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Free Weekend
3. Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Free Weekend Oct 19, 2013, 08:35 Numinar

Yay! Free weekend! Now there will be people I can fight and not be absolutely destroyed by!

Whats wrong with the maps? Stoneshill, Dark Forest, Ruins, so many good ones! Some better for some game modes than others... I am an LTS and objective guy myself.

Everyone who hasn't tried in a while should give it a go, it's my go-to multiplayer FPS these days. Took me two weeks to stop physically flinching when I first got it. A lot of people hate it, but for a fan of Python's Holy Grail and chaotic friendly fire shenanigans, this is best in class.

News Comments > Arkham Games Ditch GFWL
34. Re: Arkham Games Ditch GFWL Oct 18, 2013, 05:58 Numinar

Anyone know if they fixed that nasty crash on NVIDIA cards during the Freeze fight? That totally bummed me out, was so getting into this game again.

Not even annoyed I have to start again, just don't want to get all the way to that sequence again just to have the blocker hit me.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 15, 2013, 03:42 Numinar

Beelzebud wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 03:15:
I'd like to thank console users for beta testing this thing for us.

It's my pleasure sir. In fact, I'm even doing it for free, in my own time, while drunk and loving every second.

The QA they did on the main game is phenomenal. I was a bit worried after the digital foundry article, and the pop-in (On X360) can be jarring, but this baby looks, and certainly runs better than most open world PC games I own for single player. Very well optimized.

I wonder if they will consider at least some kind of limited public beta next time. I didn't get it until after GTAO was released so i have had no issues so far.

I wonder if they will optimise the shit out of this for PC like the fantastic port of Just Cause 2, or brutally leave it bleeding unnecessarily at the feet of sli GPU's like with GTAIV

News Comments > Dogs of War Online Closed Beta
4. Re: Dogs of War Online Closed Beta Oct 10, 2013, 06:46 Numinar

Doma wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 03:30:
Dogs of war you say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zCbfqte2pM&feature=player_detailpage#t=32

YEAH!!

My thoughts exactly. The original Counterstrike in terms of the gun shop. We need a real remake! This and NEW YORK WARRIORS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9X6A7GSOF0 one of the greatest opening riffs of all time! Just found my productivity sounds for the day.

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Beta
12. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Beta Oct 1, 2013, 09:06 Numinar

InBlack wrote on Oct 1, 2013, 03:20:
Except in Batman Arkham City. I had to roll back to older ones due to a weird crash that had something to do with Batman's cape getting a new (damaged) look after the battle with Mr. Freeze.

What?!!! I was so annoyed when this happened to me the other night! Assumed it was random and ragequit. Otherwise really enjoying the replay of this game on my new (For me) 580... but to crash during that epic of epic fights. One of my favorite boss-fights in any game ever. Not going to screw my installation over just for that though... but what if it's never fixed? What driver did you revert to?

News Comments > Dead Island: Riptide Sale, Free Weekend
38. Re: Dead Island: Riptide Sale, Free Weekend Sep 28, 2013, 10:49 Numinar

Yeah! Please check this out! I have some skin in this game!

And most the criticism is valid either way, but try for free before you buy (with some buds!), no harm done! There is nothing quite like it other than the original, which is very much like it. Whatever else it has against it, cookie cutter clone is not one of them outside it's own franchise.

edit:And for gods sake, use a controller and the analogue combat system.

News Comments > Steam Controller Announced
57. Re: Into the Black Sep 28, 2013, 08:41 Numinar

I'm interested! I have my steam hardware beta badge thingo.

I hate action controls on the iphone. These haptics better be on the level of a GOOD controller or they are done. Think about how lame the X360 d-pad is, and it's not like they havn't been trying. It's REALLY hard to get a good controller.

In other news, those Crusader Kings 2 and Civ 5 screenshots on the Steambox screenshots make a lot more sense. I won't write them off yet, those late 90's trackballs were not too bad for FPS if I remember right. Maybe not for pros but whatevs, I enjoy Halo and Skyrim on conrtoller so my opinion means nothing here on that front.

News Comments > Dead Island: Riptide Sale, Free Weekend
7. Re: Dead Island: Riptide Sale, Free Weekend Sep 27, 2013, 13:06 Numinar

Item durability is still a factor, but 2 or three good weapons should do for an expedition. There are many more workbenches as well.

News Comments > SteamOS Announced
89. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 18:51 Numinar

Is there still room for the "Portal 3 and Half Life 3 are the same game now and it's due out early next year and we called it Portal Life 6" announce?

That would sell systems. Hasn't been a good launch title for new hardware since Halo on the OGXbox.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 22, 2013, 17:58 Numinar

(Half Elf quote fail)

No, but unnecessary. I would play that same game again uprezzed with better textures. Technology wise that engine has everything it needs.

News Comments > Total War: ROME II Beta Patch 3
9. Re: Total War: ROME II Beta Patch 3 Sep 21, 2013, 14:34 Numinar

That's the thing about release dates. They are set in stone 3-6 months out (or more) when the game probably barely functions and you just have to have faith the schedule everyone agreed on is sound and the damn thing will come together. And anyone interested in getting the project off the ground probably makes promises on the optimistic side of realistic. Then you hit that date or lose lots of money in manufacturing, marketing and unbudgeted dev time which costs a fortune even with small teams.

Construction, automobiles, non game software, space programs, almost everything else is flexible when it comes to budgets and time-frames. Games for all sorts of reasons just get printed on a certain day regardless of how good an idea it is. Maybe if you have a guaranteed winner like Bioshock or Starcraft you can scrap and redo stuff, moving the goalposts. I'm just glad CA has the capacity to actually do this stuff... but yeah, a longer/larger beta would have been a better idea.

News Comments > Amazon.de Lists PC Grand Theft Auto V
14. Re: Amazon.de Lists PC Grand Theft Auto V Sep 21, 2013, 08:25 Numinar

I was under the understanding that it was uncut in Germany?

News Comments > Total War: ROME II Beta Patch 3
4. Re: Total War: ROME II Beta Patch 3 Sep 21, 2013, 08:22 Numinar

Haven't tried MP co-op yet. I played Shogun 2 early on with a relative, put in many an hour. That was a buggy mess of dsynch's and I hear late game it was unplayable, but maybe they patched it. Still super fun though.

I really think the better way to play co-op would have been sharing civs and having a single player split up provinces and units/generals... the limited general count actually lends itself to this. Make it so that, as in the original Rome, you could not administrate a province without a General present.

For the real time battles MYTH:The fallen Lords did this best. Have the main general distribute the units available to all participating players whether they had a general present or not. This would allow for a lot more flexibility and control over your units and be fun times. Maybe it does this already? I have a vague feeling in Shogun I was able to participate in my partners battles even if I had no units.

377 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo