Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vince

Real Name Vince   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Numinar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 06:24
Total Comments 424 (Amateur)
User ID 24402

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
12. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 31, 2014, 04:21 Numinar

Conspiracy nonsense. If this stuff was ready to go when the the game went gold, it would have been enabled. That Bungies LD/geometry is well ahead of the rest of the design and content is smart.

If it is a case of some evil producer blocking it off for resale, One of the 500 people working on it would have leaked. They are not monsters. Most the people making this game probably play games and actually give a shit, like you.

As for half baked released I haven't purchased such a polished, content rich and replayable shooter since Halo. Most shooters last me a weekend, this is still trucking. Yeah, narrative is a bit shit, it's not Wolfenstein but plenty of games get a pass for worse.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 30, 2014, 13:00 Numinar

Had a few bad months of PS+, but if you don't hate 2d games they have given the best of recent times away for free. Towerfall, Spelunky, Steamworld Dig, Don't Starve. Spelunky especially is a modern classic and they have a LAN mode on the Sony platforms that is really sick.

As for hoping you get multiple triple A releases, well, that happened back when Sony was getting it's ass kicked or at least seriously threatened. They don't need to try anymore with a 50% PS+ attach rate and massive market share lead.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 29, 2014, 14:01 Numinar

Task wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 12:03:
500 mil for Destiny, what a joke man. One of my friends was urging me to get it, but it seemed like Bungie was hyping that game to the moon and back and I was right. Maybe they should of used those millions to upgrade the story.

I remember when I fell for SWG hype back in the day, which admittedly had a better sandbox concept for an MMO, way better than any WoW or wow clone that came after, but it was still buggy and missing tons of things.

Destiny is actually really good, really polished, really fun.

It's a shooter with some MMO trappings, not an FPSMMO and I think the marketing had a similar message. By shooter standards the content is generous and replayable and very fun.

As for 500M? Pretty sure that got debunked. Even if true though that's not how you judge the game unless you are an Activision Shareholder. Judge it by what it does right and wrong against it's contemporaries and predecessors. I don't care how many hundreds of hours and miles of content is in the next WoW expansion if I don't enjoy a single second of it.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation - Corporate Lockdown Released
22. Re: Alien: Isolation - Corporate Lockdown Released Oct 28, 2014, 17:48 Numinar

What seems like a hang is just a really obnoxiously long load screen, the squigly thing stops for several minutes then it kicks on, at least in my case.

Bad luck with the timing I imagine, any QA lab worth it's salt will update to latest WHQL as soon as they are available, regardless of how junk they are, just because they assume all their customers will be on it. If there was a marketing/release delay between test and shipping I can see how this nonsense can happen.

It's a pain in the arse though and kills immersion after every 20 minute/half hour level, would revert if I had any other games with issue.

And fuck that Arkham bug, one of my favorite games and that gets me on my third playthrough in one of my favorite moments in the whole series. It's like Nvidia are trolling me somehow for not buying a new card every year.

News Comments > X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com
9. Re: X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com Oct 28, 2014, 11:00 Numinar

Nope, the force feedback stick is USB, and the one before that might have been PS/2.

I think you are right about the CH Pro though. Well made but way too much throw on it for these games anyway. I had it hooked up to DX 2/66 well into the early naughts for this game and it's friends.

Still one million times better than a mouse. Yuck. Can work ok for sims designed for it like descent freespace, but it's useless in TF. I cannot imagine anyone having fun with it that way.

News Comments > X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com
2. Re: X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com Oct 28, 2014, 10:17 Numinar

They are doing you a favour, you don't play these games with a mouse. Don't even bother. Dust off an old sidewinder/CH Pro from the basement and go for it!

edit: Although if the menus don't have mouse support that is hot bullshit, agreed.

News Comments > X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com?
12. Re: X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com? Oct 27, 2014, 20:38 Numinar

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 20:31:
Numinar wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 20:24:
Too true! But Strike Commander was always more of a shallow technical marvel than an awesome fun game.

I actually enjoyed the gameplay a lot. Managing the money and resources between missions, being able to choose the next mission, then choosing your wingman (wing-woman), equipping your plane with a weapon loadout appropriate for the mission and appropriate for you as a pilot and then playing through the at least half-decent story (especially for an action flight sim) was way beyond just the scope of a "technical marvel" back in the day (strictly IMHO ofc).

Ok, maybe that's selling it a bit short but at the time the Origin games were notorious for amazing presentation that your probably couldn't enjoy until your next PC upgrade and slim pickings on gameplay variety. Strike Commander has an excuse though in that the setting dosn't let you go as wild as TF's space WWI style.

The interactive movie aspect of those games hit their peak with WCIII, and I played through it what must have been half a dozen times but it never hit as hard or exists as fondly in my memory as the Lucasart's titles, which despite a lack of textures for the first (And greatest) few entries had a far better sense of movement and speed.

News Comments > X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com?
8. Re: X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com? Oct 27, 2014, 20:24 Numinar

Too true! But Strike Commander was always more of a shallow technical marvel than an awesome fun game.

Tie fighter is super awesome.

And you are not the bad guys in that game, you are a loyal pilot in the Imperial Navy stopping those evil rebel terrorists from starting space Isis!

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Demo
16. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Demo Oct 26, 2014, 11:32 Numinar

Kajetan wrote on Oct 25, 2014, 09:14:
Numinar wrote on Oct 25, 2014, 05:35:
Especially since they learnt to stop the nickle and diming on DLC with V and rolled out some decent content.
When did "they" (2k?) learn this?

When the 10 piecemeal single-civ focused bullshit DLC didn't make money?

I dunno, they could have kept doing that, but they didn't, and I thank them for that. It was all good content but fuck paying whatever it was to play one civ. Also they had $5 deals on steam that had all that content along with the first expansion. Consider your sins absolved 2K (At least the Firaxis related ones)!

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Game Reviews Oct 26, 2014, 11:27 Numinar

Wetworks24 wrote on Oct 26, 2014, 03:53:
Cram wrote on Oct 26, 2014, 00:08:
Wetworks24 wrote on Oct 25, 2014, 23:45:
Despite saying I wouldn't get it at release I broke down and bought it a few days ago. Having fun but not sure I like the emphasis on being above ground, to me the best part of the game is still dungeon crawling.

This is a fair point, if you've completely beat the game, which you haven't. I mean completely. Do not get discouraged and enjoy the ride ffs.

Good luck in the Cemetery and Pyramid, seems like that's what you want to experience. Good luck in those areas bud.

Part of the problem is that I'm playing the game on hard. I beat the first Grimrock on hard w/ old school mode activated. Hard turns the game into a lot of trial and error with constant reloads. I guess my patience is starting to wear out a little with Grimrock after 28 hrs in the first game. I'm still enjoying it though.

I wish I would have picked normal but I'm not starting over now.

You ruined it for yourself. Here is how difficulty should work and sounds like it is in your case:

Easy: I'm drunk or otherwise mentally impeded.

Medium: I wan't to play, and win, a game using common sense, gaming experience and the minimal amount of trial and error.

Hard: I need to min-max, read faqs and plan ahead to win the game.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Demo
12. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Demo Oct 25, 2014, 05:35 Numinar

Krovven wrote on Oct 25, 2014, 03:58:
dj LiTh wrote on Oct 25, 2014, 00:11:
More i play the game (non demo) more i like it. I think its just switching my Civ5 perspective to the subtle changes. That said those subtle changes once you get use to them are pretty good. Enjoying it, and i know it'll only get better. One of the major reasons why i bought it is that i know that the expansions, patches, and mods to come will only add to it. Firaxis knows their TBS

This.

Especially since they learnt to stop the nickle and diming on DLC with V and rolled out some decent content. All that extra stuff was great, picked it up in sales, but it should have been all one small expansion before G+K.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Welcome to Kyrat Trailer, Part Two
1. Re: Far Cry 4 Welcome to Kyrat Trailer, Part Two Oct 24, 2014, 12:11 Numinar

Trying to get Hype... loved the last one so much! But AC4:BF and Mordor have me all Ubisoft Gamed out...  

News Comments > Space Engineers Sells 1M
6. Re: Space Engineers Sells 1M Oct 21, 2014, 03:53 Numinar

Cutter wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 21:46:
So it's unfinished? And it sounds like it's going to stay that way. And that's the problem with early-access games.

You are right, for most games it is a problem.

But I cannot imagine Kerbal, Minecraft, Prison Architect or this title being anywhere near as good as they are without EA. Those games are best in class and nobody puts a gun to anyone's head and tells them to buy it. PA especially was not fun when I purchased it initially, but is amazing now and is still not feature complete.

The alpha for ARMA 3 also really helped it, best Bohemia game on release by far in terms of bugs.

Of course, classically made games that are baked in an oven for 3 years still exist. Not all of them work out either and they are almost never as ambitious as the titles I just mentioned.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Wings! Remastered Edition
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Wings! Remastered Edition Oct 18, 2014, 14:49 Numinar

Now Rocket Ranger, TV Sports and It came from the Desert please!

This game was so great. Such atmosphere for the time. Did not enjoy the bombing runs, but maybe an accurate representation of the futility of the activity at the time (25 years later we were still bombing Austria while aiming for Germany).

The old Amiga and it's monitor (After a stint as a great N64 screen) are well and truly dead, and in my foolish youth I donated the arcade quality joysticks we had for it to a film and failed to retrieve them

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Oct 18, 2014, 11:22 Numinar

Do you feel guilty? I don't. I can identify as a gamer and know those articles were not talking about me. You'd have to want to be insulted or actually be exactly what is wrong with this situation to get upset about these perceived insults, surely.

If media outlets are leaning one way over the other, then that is a reflection of the kind of people who enter into that industry. I'm sure once some PAC's/lobby money gets put into it the reds will be well served with all the content they need.

Until then the low pay and lack of opportunity, along with the overwhelming negative view of gaming and gamer's a large part of that political spectrum (We make for great scapegoats when guns kill people!) may have something to do with the lefty madness that is most, but not all, of games media?

So yeah, complain that they don't represent you. Subscribe to an outlet or start you own that does. Don't expect extant private organisations to take affirmative hiring action to ensure they have "Fair and Balanced" news. Not everyone can or needs to be as morally upstanding and fair as Fox.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
8. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 17, 2014, 13:13 Numinar

If HL3 never comes out, it's because nobody there wants to make it!

Nothing worse than a game made by developers who wish they were doing something else. Linear FPS probably sounds like a dead end to the people there, no seemless world events, cool face tech or a physics based puzzles to save them this time. Maybe they should shop it off to another Dev. The Metro or new Wolfenstein guys maybe.

Also, why do people want to play this? I loved those games, especially the first, never want to play the episodes again, and cannot remember if there was a story or interesting characters we need resolution on or beg further exploring. Valve will pull a dimension/time traveling/Bioshock 3 style boondoggle to set up whatever scenario they want to deal with in any case like they did last time.

I also don't agree that the move away from carrying 18 weapons at once is a bad thing.

News Comments > Trine Series Sells 7M; Editors Released
15. Re: Trine Series Sells 7M; Editors Released Oct 17, 2014, 05:38 Numinar

Owned but not played much past the tutorial, seems solid though. A little bit mechanically advanced for my daughter... hopefully she grows into it. We will have to stick with Spelunky and the Lego games for now.

Rust Dust has a good casual mode for the young'uns but her mum didn't appreciate the high level of don bluth inspired murder in that one.

And yeah, games are expensive. Even these 2d ones. A full price title, at retail, probably only pays for an hour or two of some engineers day. 7m units should do it though!

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 13, 2014, 12:12 Numinar

I don't think it's an MMO, it's an always online shooter with co-op focus, the loots and the usual death match and single player modes from a traditional Halo game and a whole lot of polish in the areas that count and a whole lot of nothing in the narrative.

It's good stuff to. I'm one of those millions, and I've only had a few disconnects and no carpal tunnel.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
38. It took me 23 seconds to get that joke Blue. Oct 11, 2014, 09:56 Numinar

And oh how I laughed...

edit:Maybe I should have read the other comments before posting, bad timing!

My olds are in the same boat, past 50 and enjoying life in the drunkest smokiest meat eatingest way possible whilst still holding jobs. I expect the call any day.

News Comments > Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations
34. Re: Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations Oct 8, 2014, 04:45 Numinar

cyxxon wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 04:35:
Ouch. Preordered for the PS3 here in Europe, because I thought it looked like a good couch game instead of PC game, and sorely tempted to cancel that preorder now... hm...

Kill it, apparently the best part of the game (Dynamic Enemy generation system) is mega gimped on the old consoles.

Then get a nice long HDMI cable and a wireless dongle for X360 and get it on your PC, everyone I know who bought it loves it.

424 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo