Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vince

Real Name Vince   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Numinar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 06:24
Total Comments 449 (Amateur)
User ID 24402

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords Next Month
1. Re: Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords Next Month Jun 25, 2015, 22:06 Numinar

Mongorians! Oh no, this might bring me back in... curse you Paradox!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > XCOM 2 Gameplay Footage
21. Re: XCOM 2 Gameplay Footage Jun 18, 2015, 05:18 Numinar

Slashman wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 10:15:
InBlack wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 02:53:
Erm. Why would you think that those are the 'only' ways you can do this? Have you played any of the 'original' games? You know, the one where the Aliens actually took TURNS and moved around on the map BEFORE you encountered them?

Because I remember the effect that could have. Spending an insane amount of time hunting down that last one or two aliens that stuck themselves between 2 crates and just sat there or moved back and forth in an out of the way place on the map. And with the maps now moving to procedural, that's an even more likely scenario.

I still prefer this. You adapt your technique to perform a clean methodical sweep.

A black screen with ENEMY MOVEMENT writ large and the screams of their victims echoing through your headphones is what it's all about. Maybe next time.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed: Syndicate?
7. Re: Assassin's Creed: Syndicate? May 9, 2015, 04:05 Numinar

Quinn wrote on May 8, 2015, 21:44:
Paris, London... I really couldn't care less. Seriously, anyone here expressing enthusiasm for this bled dry franchise should get a "not representative" burn mark on their forehead, so that we all know not to take them seriously whenever they express their opinion about other games.

For fuck's sake. Assassin's Creed hasn't tried anything remarkably new since AC2, with an exception to the sea faring, which was awesome in black.

How can people be excited? Every fucking AC game is the same price essX buttonto-win dimwit shite. Fuck off. I'm drunk but whstever

I'm not excited, but I will always pay attention to AC. With that amount of money and talent thrown at something every now and then you get a Black Flag. Awesome game.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Season Pass Includes Batgirl Prequel
3. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Season Pass Includes Batgirl Prequel May 3, 2015, 18:30 Numinar

Every industry on the planet does this, selling the base product close to cost and then marking up the consumables, spares and accessories.

You don't have to buy it. Or you wait a year and by the GOTY for next to nothing. It's priced the way it is because people buy it and wont go away until we all stop.

News Comments > Star Control Reboot FAQ
17. Re: Star Control Reboot FAQ Apr 9, 2015, 01:24 Numinar

Neato! There is a need for this. Done right with a nice fat production budget. Star Control 2 will be hard to beat, and it's nice that someone is at least trying.

It might be a naked ploy for some very rational nostalgia (SC2 is definitely in top 5 ever for me, and the fan project actually improves on it in many ways) but if that ploy brings the numbers needed to get this the green light than I am all for it. Yes, never forget SC3 but it's better to have some hope than none.

The quest in SC2 was so good. A roguelike hybrid procedural equivalent of that, with an editor would be insane if thats what this is. Hope its not as dry as FTL or Galcon though.

I remember failing in my first attempt at SC2 due to taking too long mucking around being space trucker and the Ur-quan took over the galaxy and murdered everyone. 10-20 hours of enjoyable gameplay still for naught ala Fallout. Felt good when I finally got that bastard done. I don't think I've used notes or annotated a printed map since then.

They don't make them like that anymore.

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
2. Re: Sunday Interviews Mar 16, 2015, 03:50 Numinar

Why is fence sitting not a good thing?

The developer can commit to a no-sales period if they want to forgo manipulative pricing targeting the rich and impulsive. Being treated like a moron for not waiting 2 or 3 months to buy a game has burned such behaviour into the educated consumer, doubly so since PC games seem to need a few months post release cooking to be considered polished.

Add to that the refusal to be bullied into being a venture capitalist with only a game with unknown quality as a return and fence sitting seems to be the thing to do unless you are a rabid or rich fan.

Not knocking those that contribute, I enjoyed FTL and Divinity as much as the next guy. Enjoyed them just as much as a contributor though and have avoided some less savory kickstarter outcomes by waiting for word of mouth/reviews.

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Mar 14, 2015, 07:53 Numinar

RIP TP. Some of my earliest reading memories in early discworld and Gnome trilogy books.

Just started on this Long Earth series he did with Stephen Baxter. Loved everything I ever read of his, sad but it's been coming for a while. I wonder if Baxter has to fulfill the rest of the contract with Terry gone? Or maybe thats the whole point of having a co-author.

And Good Omens WAS really, really good. One of the best. Hope this collab turns out half as sharp.

News Comments > Minecraft: Story Mode - A Telltale Games Series Announced
20. Re: Minecraft: Story Mode - A Telltale Games Series Announced Dec 19, 2014, 10:58 Numinar

This doesn't make any sense, but then neither does the idea of a "Lego Movie" and that was amazing.

News Comments > Sportsfriends on Steam Tomorrow; Move Issues for PC Joust
1. Re: Sportsfriends on Steam Tomorrow; Move Issues for PC Joust Dec 18, 2014, 10:40 Numinar

This sucks. It's a good pack of party games, and Joust is the most fun and physically dangerous.

This is almost as bad as being unable to get the Jackbox collection on my console AU accounts.

News Comments > Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns
146. Re: Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns Dec 18, 2014, 04:35 Numinar

This game seems pretty gross, like GTA if GTA was just Rampages (Which is probably how I played the old 2d ones if I am being honest).

Could be done really well though. It probably wont be, just because most games are not done well, but who can say? If it really is a celebration of mass shootings than these guys can go jump.

Also, if it's meant to be commenting on the uselessness of Story and the joy of mass murder, Destiny already does a really good job of this and is rated T, so it's nothing new.

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
5. Re: Ship Ahoy - Crusader Kings II: Way of Life Dec 17, 2014, 04:14 Numinar

Ceribaen wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 21:07:
Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 19:24:
harlock wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:22:
Desalus wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:06:
More paid content...just what this game needs. I believe this is the 9th expansion, along with the 36+ minor DLC!

yeh i havent played this in years, mainly because they keep releasing significant additions all the time

probly gonna wait for a few more years and then buy the "super ultimate mega bundle" that has everything included... shit will probably be 100GB by then too

The thing is, this isn't just new maps or unit packs like most strategy games get. Paradox adds big new mechanics with each expansion. I think they have a fanbase who are happy to pay essentially a subscription to keep development going, and see how good a game they can squeeze out of this engine. Their subreddit has people with hundreds or thousands of hours played. $100 is a pretty good deal for that amount of playtime. I have a lot more sympathy for DLC-driven development when its handled this way.

My only problem is, once you fall out of the loop on it - it's nearly impossible to catch back up. Too big of a cost to get caught up on the DLC. Plus the re-learning curve is almost as high as the initial learning curve.

Plus I think I never quite figured out the politics of it, always tried to play to create a unified Iceland and see if I could just carve out a few more islands within my domain - but always ended up heavily reliant on mercenaries who never replenished and eventually one of the big dogs would come my way and stomp me down. And none of my alliances through marriage were strong enough to come support me.

CKII is brutal. True security only comes from being the biggest dog, even your family wont come to save you from invasion if the cost/benifit isn't there. Trying to maintain independence as a smaller state is Hard Mode.

Kind of like Ukraine right now!

News Comments > Kerbal Space Program Enters Beta
10. Re: Kerbal Space Program Enters Beta Dec 17, 2014, 03:58 Numinar

Whiskers wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:12:
I think it might be time to reinstall this and give it a whirl. I played a lot back in the early days, explored each planet, had a blast. Looking forward to diving back in with all this new stuff.

I do this every update. Nuke my own progress, start again with my series of ill advised minuteman-style sub orbital disasters and work my way up to moon landings, robotic probes, rovers and manned tours of the Joolian moons. Relearning the game after a few months off between updates. It's one of the most satisfying gaming experiences I've had.

And I think I will do this for the rest of my life. One of the best games ever. I just hope they polish the jank and UI to a delicious perfection in order to be more accessible. (The odd bug or idiosyncrasy people used to 90's era PC UI's barely notice can be a barrier I imagine.)

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
46. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 13:21 Numinar

jdreyer wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 12:43:
Lorcin wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:33:
letting go of your joystick to grab you're mouse.

I struggle with this problem every night before bed.

This is the best comment on the internet today!

Also, I just got rid of my PC because I'm changing continents. This reskin of a 20 year old Amiga game (less in a way, frontier had surface gameplay) will be what I base my next build around. Looks brilliant. (Yes truck sim in space with Tie Fighter dogfights, yes that's what I want, yes I wish you all the best waiting for SC to ship and be playable on less than god tier PC's).

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 9, 2014, 05:20 Numinar

Definitely better in the video than in the credits, which made me want to rage so hard at it's horribleness.

Those Guardians don't get to choose what music survived from the Goldenage, all they got was Paul for when they want to chill on the moon and they are stuck with him! It actually seems kind of genuine.

News Comments > Assassinís Creed Unity Free DLC Offered; Season Passes Discontinued
17. Re: Assassinís Creed Unity Free DLC Offered; Season Passes Discontinued Nov 27, 2014, 09:08 Numinar

InBlack wrote on Nov 27, 2014, 05:27:
Flatline wrote on Nov 27, 2014, 00:41:
Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 21:52:
OK, is it just me or do the faces in Unity look WORSE than the faces in Black Flag? I got both for free with my XBone, and was comparing just to be sure. The faces seem blurry or something in Unity.

Dunno don't care. AC4 is probably the pinnacle of the series. I've been waiting for a good age of sail game for ages and this is as close as it's going to get I guess.

If I had just won the lottery I'd seriously consider licensing the engine and building a Napoleonic Wars age of sail game.

Lol if you think thats the best there is I guess you havent seen this:

http://www.navalaction.com/#ageofsail

Be warned, it will probably make you cum in your pants.

That looks great! But I tend not to get excited about games that haven't shipped yet, and think it's unfair to compare them to games that do exist. That thing is still in Star Citizen territory by the look of things and therefore is not much better than a dream.

Black Flag is better than this right now because it actually exists and runs quite well. It's also a fun game but would have been better as a "Pirates!" remake with more light sim action and a bigger world map.

News Comments > Steam Gift Trade Policy Changes
4. Re: Steam Gift Trade Policy Changes Nov 25, 2014, 12:10 Numinar

Damn, I needed to offload these bloody Dogecoins on my Vietnamese reseller sooner.

And, er... fair enough Valve. Developing world wont pay 90 euro for a game, and you probably wouldn't make money if we bought everything for a tenner. Though some of us already do with the whole wait for the GOTY thing that has started working out so well for us. But hey, as long as I can be subsidised by patience and silly early adopter day one cashed up single kids, then everyone is happy!

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
9. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 24, 2014, 14:06 Numinar

Cutter wrote on Nov 24, 2014, 12:13:
Rape isn't a joking matter. It's something that should have never been utilized as slang to begin with. Most PC bullshit is exactly that, but rape is not.

Damn right. I cannot say I've been so awesome to have never stooped to such BS or worse when in a competitive environment, but would totally cop it sweet if I got fired for typing something like this on the internet.

I feel bad for him, troll meet real world. Welcome and try enjoy your now crippled future.

News Comments > Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 Released
1. Re: Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 Released Nov 14, 2014, 19:42 Numinar

OMG this is amazing.

Well, in my mind it is. Better wait to see how the emu is. ICFTD and Rocket Ranger are killer games, and TV sports basketball is still the only BB computer game I have ever really enjoyed.

Oh, and Wings. Motherflippin' Wings. Much better than the band. I would love to see a combination of a Red Baron level Sim with modern tech and the Cinemaware presentation.

News Comments > Total War: ROME II - Black Sea Colonies Culture Pack Pre-purchases
3. Re: Total War: ROME II - Black Sea Colonies Culture Pack Pre-purchases Nov 14, 2014, 13:50 Numinar

Even without the bugs, some of the changes are made for the sake of changes and they have added needless boring micro whilst removing mechanics that were actually fun. The loading times make me not even want to play, but maybe thats my fault for being a peasant.

Attila might be alright if they listened to the feedback, maybe wait for that. Rome 2 put me off full price games until Destiny came out. Such dissapointment

Shogun 2, and especially it's addons, are amazing. Run great, good fun. Can be gotten real cheap, keep an eye out on Steam!

As for not as good as Rome TW? You would be buying/playing very few games if that was your barrier for entry.

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Nov 12, 2014, 04:53 Numinar

Is there going to be a consumer revolt against the ending causing HBO to refilm a new finale and sell it as pay per view DLC? It's pretty much where ME3 stole it's maligned "Choose the fate of the galaxy" one from that everyone cried about.

I guess Matrix 3 had it as well.

449 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo