Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vince

Real Name Vince   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Numinar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 11, 2006, 06:24
Total Comments 467 (Amateur)
User ID 24402
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > No Arkham Knight Multi-GPU Support
19. Re: No Arkham Knight Multi-GPU Support Nov 20, 2015, 02:32 Numinar
This was a great end to the series, on console (well, ps4 is all I can personally vouch for, I imagine X1 port isn't quite as good but that's a guess). I played through twice and aced most the challenge maps in an age where I don't even finish most games anymore.

What a sad mess. Anyone who wants it gets a refund so no harm done but it's just f'n sad, I'm sure lots of fans will never get to see it played out due to principals/PC snobbery because of this and that sucks.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Star Control Founder's Program
4. Re: Star Control Founder's Program Nov 20, 2015, 01:22 Numinar
Fallen Enchantress and Sins of a Solar Empire are amazing PC games. I have faith.

The first few goes at FE sucked though apparently, and I hate GalCiv but others seem to love it.

So sorry Stardock, I'll support you financially AFTER you release if it's anything close to being equal to SC2, which is up there with XCOM and Tie Fighter as my golden age of PC favourites. Good luck with that! It's not like it could turn out worse that SC3...
News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
7. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 18, 2015, 00:44 Numinar
Unity would be good for working out where the historic places in inner city Paris are, it's not 1:1 and it's set 225 years ago but it felt very familiar to my 3 visits to that city. There are lots of historic cafes in that game, I think one of them might have even been one of the ones attacked.

I doubt MS would be happy with the association though regardless of accuracy. Their voip/party chat offers the same utility. A crackdown/bad press on violent or online games hurts everyone.
News Comments > Fallout 4 Build Planner
10. Re: Fallout 4 Build Planner Nov 6, 2015, 05:31 Numinar
Sounds like it's "streamlined" but the older games were brutal and unforgiving in a way I don't miss much.

Want to play a lover not a fighter? Forget being strong enough to equip decent power armour (which MIGHT allow you to survive a being raked by mutant mini guns) or even making it out of the temple of the vault dweller/the first cave full of rad scorpions. The wasteland used to eat up wimps for breakfast.
News Comments > Assassin's Creed Syndicate Specs
13. Re: Assassin's Creed Syndicate Specs Nov 6, 2015, 04:28 Numinar
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 23:50:
Don't care if it's optional or not. This isn't Frodo's cape on his trip to Mt Doom. But thank you for the info.

If this is a problem for you definitely stay away, it may get not even be in my top ten list of things that stretch credibility in this game.

-fall from 4 stories and go straight into a run.
-fall 200 feet into a pile of leaves and then launch into a run.
-base your shadowy organisation out of a slow moving train that does the inner city loop repeatedly without ever being raided or discovered (well, not as far as I've seen yet).
-Make friends with Marx, Bell, Darwin and Dickens and do some murder on their behalf. (They never outright ask you but you tend to leave a trail of bodies regardless. I guess it kind of makes sense with Marx)
-Have horse drawn carriages that can survive head on collisions with other horse drawn carriages with the only penalty being hearing someone yell "where'd you learn to drive!" In their best dick can dyke accent.
-murder three or four hundred gangsters and cops (and counting), often with witnesses, without getting blood on your clothes or any other permanent repurcussions.
-the ability unlock that allows you to loot enemies of all their money and craft items as you stab them, pull them from a ledge or leap on them.
-absorbing bullets with no consequence other than a decreased health bar, which can be instantly remedied by consumable "medicine"
-it's often not raining, despite being set in England
-Swimming in the Thames circa 1860 and not getting cholera or even a minor case of the runs.
-exploring the memories of someone else's ancestor through what is meant to be a consumer electronic device widely available in the present day.

I'm sure I'm missing lots but being invisible whilst immobile, which the game even states is an abstraction of Evie's camouflage abilities, barely rates a raised eyebrow in this context.
10. Re: Assassin's Creed Syndicate Specs Nov 5, 2015, 23:20 Numinar
I didn't play Unity until recently, and it's a technical marvel now. But the game part of it is not very fun most of the time, and the multiplayer is worse than destiny for load times.

It lacks the focus of Syndicate, it's like a game directed by Peter Jackson. Wonderful world to visit but bad movie/game.
6. Re: Assassin's Creed Syndicate Specs Nov 5, 2015, 22:38 Numinar
Weird how the specs require a PC so much more powerful than the consoles... Probably a good reason for it. They'd want to sell copies to mid-low spec if they could I'm sure.

I'm loving it on PS4. It's not quite as well controlling as MGSV but it's got a lot less BS. Also the filler and micro transactions can be easily ignored without penalty unlike that Konami nightmare. It feels like a Saints Row:Victorian Times game. Or GTA:London 1863.

Very funny how they stole Batmans grapple mechanics given how batman lifted and improved on UBI's combat. It's not quite as powerful but trivialises one of things in this series that has gotten old, climbing tall vertical structures.

Also the animations for the multi kills are amazing. As usual I'm still seeing new ones hours in. Good times.
News Comments > The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth Released
10. Re: The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth Released Nov 1, 2015, 00:22 Numinar
I love this game, though I prefer the more hand drawn graphics of the flash game and it's sick baranowski beats it's good to have the frame rate of this new one.

But I find it intolerable without having the item wiki open. Maybe they could add an in-game wiki? Perhaps preserving the mystery by not describing the loot until after the run it was first found? I don't know. I'm just not smart enough to catalogue and remember the effects and subtleties of all 500 drops or whatever it is after this expansion.
News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - GALAK-Z
1. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - GALAK-Z Nov 1, 2015, 00:17 Numinar
I love everything about this game but they didn't quite nail the spelunky structure they seemed to be going for. Not sure what it is, lack of variety in enemies or hazards maybe? It's hard to tell. Got my 20 bucks worth out of it, hope someone sees the need for a star blazers/macross space flight sim game some day and take this kind of aesthetic to the next level.  
News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Refunds
6. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Refunds Oct 31, 2015, 18:17 Numinar
It was a really solid experience on PS4. Still looked good despite the aliasing issues and odd frame drop. The driving didn't bother me that much, ended up finishing it twice, once on the harder difficulty. This game should have made them so much money but by screwing over the port so bad it's probably cost them millions and a few people their jobs.

City still my favourite, Asylum is special for it own reasons but as a trilogy forever marred by this travesty. Maybe Rocksteady will do a Rockstar and stick to consoles Red Dead Redemption style because of this for their next release.
News Comments > PAYDAY 2 Microtransactions Follow-up
23. Re: PAYDAY 2 Microtransactions Follow-up Oct 26, 2015, 22:55 Numinar
Game has always been great value and it has staying power, I'd want to get a bit of residual low cost low risk profits out of it.

Steam sales see the DLC go for peanuts so I grab it then like with Crusader Kings 2 DLC. Both amazing, replayable games with ongoing content drops and support years after release.
News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Deathwatch - Enhanced Edition Released
5. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Deathwatch - Enhanced Edition Released Oct 17, 2015, 05:31 Numinar
This is actually pretty decent on IOS. One of the best games I've played on that platform, and it looks like you get a lot more content in this port. It nails the aesthetic, but it's more like a port of a board game that never existed than a AAA TBS like you probably want. Scratches my WH40k itch when I need a fix.

Far from shovelware, but remains to be seen if it's made the jump to PC. I don't think anything else ever has (A problem that goes both ways, XCOM is too much game for the phone hardware).
News Comments > Rocket League DLC
5. Re: Rocket League DLC Oct 13, 2015, 23:15 Numinar
I still play this now and then. Will probably skip this DLC but depends how good the shaders are, I'm happy with the wooden muscle car from the last DLC.

I suck at it, but it's the most fun I've had with a sports/faux sports game since speedball on the Amiga. Simple controls with what seems an infinite subtlety to the execution. Lots of close matches with lots of near misses and awesome fluke shots for me while getting thrashed now and then by players with inspired set plays which are at least awesome to watch in replay. Cannot recommend it enough.

It's as much snooker as soccer, and it works. One of the best games I've played in a while. Knows what it needs to do and does just that very well.
News Comments > Street Fighter V Specs
6. Re: Street Fighter V Specs Sep 23, 2015, 07:30 Numinar
Dagnamit wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 19:32:
Preposterous. There's no way on earth a SF game running on Unreal Engine requires 6gb to run. Why do they say these things?

Current consoles are 8gb shared memory yeah? No need to optimise! PCMR can buy more ram with their PCMR money. That 512mb limit last gen made them come up with slick magic like whatever engine just cause 2 ran in but those days are over.
News Comments > Quote of the Day
26. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 14, 2015, 18:54 Numinar
Frijoles wrote on Sep 14, 2015, 10:35:

4A Games (Metro 2033 people) would be a nice fit. Although I'd rather just wait for Valve to do it.

If sunny old Malta hasn't burnt all the glorious grim strangeness out of them then yes, this, a thousand times yes. Metro LL kind of scratched my HL itch as it was so I'm calling that the unofficial HL3 until the real thing shows up anyway.
News Comments > Rocket League DLC Released
3. Re: Rocket League DLC Released Aug 14, 2015, 22:51 Numinar
Pitch varients would be good but there's something to be said for regulation rocket league. It's gotten popular by removing that variable (the previous game did have crazy pitches and nobody even heard of that).

Physics modifiers and multiball! Would be cool as well.
News Comments > Homeworld ReMacStered
3. Re: Homeworld ReMacStered Aug 8, 2015, 19:09 Numinar
Same reason you make any port. If the cost of making it and supporting it is less than the money you think you'll make on it why not.

I've only ever bought one Mac. It was gutless and overpriced but it's still work properly after 4 years and still gets OS and driver updates.

More than can be said for my HP laptop. I need some Estonian driver hacker to keep that thing working properly when it's not overheating.
News Comments > OlliOlli2 Revealed
1. Re: OlliOlli2 Revealed Jul 28, 2015, 22:29 Numinar
This game already exists! It was a PSN+ IGC title early this year/late last year. So it's a port they are announcing not a new title.

It's allright! It's a 2d version of the early Tony Hawk games. Never really got into it. You will want some serious sub-console controller-screen latency as it's fast as fuck.
News Comments > Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords Next Month
1. Re: Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords Next Month Jun 25, 2015, 22:06 Numinar
Mongorians! Oh no, this might bring me back in... curse you Paradox!  
News Comments > XCOM 2 Gameplay Footage
21. Re: XCOM 2 Gameplay Footage Jun 18, 2015, 05:18 Numinar
Slashman wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 10:15:
InBlack wrote on Jun 17, 2015, 02:53:
Erm. Why would you think that those are the 'only' ways you can do this? Have you played any of the 'original' games? You know, the one where the Aliens actually took TURNS and moved around on the map BEFORE you encountered them?

Because I remember the effect that could have. Spending an insane amount of time hunting down that last one or two aliens that stuck themselves between 2 crates and just sat there or moved back and forth in an out of the way place on the map. And with the maps now moving to procedural, that's an even more likely scenario.

I still prefer this. You adapt your technique to perform a clean methodical sweep.

A black screen with ENEMY MOVEMENT writ large and the screams of their victims echoing through your headphones is what it's all about. Maybe next time.
467 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

Blue's News logo