Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Toph O' Rama

Real Name Toph O' Rama   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BurntSoul
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 10, 2006, 03:46
Total Comments 173 (Novice)
User ID 24396

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Medal of Honor Airborne Patch
12. For all concerned... Mar 9, 2008, 08:16 BurntSoul

Here's the release notes for v1.3. The size issue is noted:

MOH Airborne Patch 1.3
Update to Version 1.3
IMPORTANT NOTE: To Update to Patch 1.3, you must first have Patch 1.2 installed.

This update for Medal of Honor Airborne adds two new maps, Objective Mode for multiplayer, and two new weapons for dedicated server games, in addition to multiple bug fixes.

New Features

* Added the option to replace the rifle class with a non- scoped Springfield for dedicated servers.
* Added the option to replace the rifle class with a non-scoped G43 for dedicated servers.
* Heraklion map is playable in all multiplayer game modes.
* The Hunt Classic map is playable in all multiplayer game modes.
* Objective Mode has been added for all maps in multiplayer.
* Added an in-game server admin tool (Rcon).
* Added a new server command “say” that allows server admins to make announcements through the console or in-game RCon tool. The announcements will appear on all connected clients and will be distinguished with both a prefix and different color.
* Every in-game message is now logged in game console (press ` to access it)
* Several options have been set up for which team defends during Objective Mode.
* Kill messages now correspond to a weapon type.

The Update size is large b/c all maps in multiplayer were edited to include Objective Mode, and two brand new maps were added.

The dedicated server is a new build of the server and will not patch the existing server. This is also because all the content has been touched. To patch the server would be almost as big as to release a new one. The Linux server is being worked on and will be updated as soon as possible.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Crysis SDK
12. Holy Crap... Mar 8, 2008, 13:14 BurntSoul

I don't want to have a firewall set up on my computer or on my router. The hackers should stop hacking.

I don't want to have to install anti-virus with real-time protection. The virus makers should stop making VIRUSES.

I don't want to install anti-spyware and continually do scans on my system. The bastard low balling advertisers should stop spamming my ass and making my computer run slower.

I don't want to defrag my computer. The hard drive makers should do something to their hard drives such that I don't have to defrag it again.

I don't want to troubleshoot problems with my computer. All computer parts and software should be instantly ultra compatible.

I don't want to have to upgrade my computer when newer games come out that require a beefier vid card, ram or cpu. All computer hardware should be upgradeable via a rom bios upgrade online - OR no developer should push the boundaries to make more visually realistic environments in games.

Waaahhh waaaah fuckin' waaah!

We all have to deal with things in life, my friends - whether we like it or not. Stop crying and deal with it.

If it bothers you take it into your own hands, because no one is going to hold your hand for you.

As you've heard before, get Firefox + the adblock plus ad-on. It takes about 2 minutes to install.

Problem Solved.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 18:15.

News Comments > Frontlines for Call of Duty 4
2. Re: COD4 Gaming Mar 7, 2008, 09:15 BurntSoul

Myself, I love the game. Zeph, you initially will have it harder than others (who've been playing far longer than you) at first because you do not have the array of upgrades in weapons and skills others have accumulated. This will come in time, the more matches you play.

However, I understand what you are talking about. Some maps are way too small for the number of players that come into a game. There really should be a size limitation, or at least a recommended player limit listed per map otherwise it becomes ridiculously unreal.

One other thing that really, really, really, REALLY has to change is the Airstrikes and the Helicopter raids. It can stay in the game, but it just has to change.

I think if you get 7 kills in a row you get an airstrike and if you get 8-9 you get a Helicopter to come in and mess with the enemy. Don't hate me if I'm wrong with those numbers, I'm trying to prove a point. The problem is with the 'rollover' effects on maps with many players in the game. A guy that gets lucky enough to get a good airstrike in will be able to quickly get a second, third, forth, fifth airstrike or helicopter because his kills all count towards another. That totally sucks on a smallish map with the max number of players on it.

The devs should change it so that during your airstrike or helicopter, all kills that happen during this raid do NOT count towards another airstrike or helicopter. Also, there should be a 'cool down' time between your previous strike and the next one, say 30-60 seconds. Only after that time period is over should you be able to accumulate kills for another strike.

I hate coming into a match only to be decimated from the skies every 4 seconds. It's even nastier when the idiot server admin sets the respawn time to 1 second.

News Comments > Frontlines: Fuel of War Patch
26. Re: Frontlines: The FUTURE of Fuel of Wa Feb 28, 2008, 20:19 BurntSoul

Surf,

Two Worlds is awesome, and they unfortunately missed somewhere on the multiplayer side. They could have done so much more with it.

25. No subject Feb 28, 2008, 20:15 BurntSoul

Frosty, there are always rays of hope!

Try Sins of a Solar Empire, Call of Duty 4 (single or multi), Max Payne (1 or 2), World in Conflict, F.E.A.R., Warhammer 20K: Dawn of War - all on the PC.

Fortunately, this isn't the whole list!

Play any of these (if you haven't already) and I guarantee you'll experience the best waste of your time - ever.

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 20:16.

21. Frontlines: The FUTURE of Fuel of War... Feb 28, 2008, 19:07 BurntSoul

...or any new game for that matter.

Here's my take on it, via observations over time.

When a game comes out and it has multiplayer issues on the PC, developers have about 2 weeks to fix the worst (and most) of the issues. If it isn't cleared up by then, the game has officially tanked with Hardcore gamers; you won't see more than 50 people playing it at a time at the end of the 3rd week. 2 months later it will be dead with 5-10 MP players at any one time. The game will have been totally ripped to shreds on all the well known forums by then.

Yes, this is an estimate based on an opinion - as it really also depends how good or sucky the game is as a whole. It also seems to tank worse/quicker when it had an awesome previous following (previous versions).

Examples:

Rainbow 6: Lockdown
Medal of Honor: Airborne
Warhammer: Mark of Chaos
Two Worlds

Unfortunately this is not the full list.

News Comments > World in Conflict Patches
8. I am drinking the coolaid and I like it! Feb 13, 2008, 15:34 BurntSoul

Nighthawk,

In terms of time and gameplay, World in Conflict has single and multiplayer. The single player campaign has a great story throughout. The quick story: It's the 80's and Russia has invaded US soil. Defend the US! The missions (in multiplayer and single player) are usually somewhere between 10 to 20 minutes. Great fun. No resource gathering; instead you've got money ticking up for military expenditures and you get extra points for taking an area and 'building it up' or for destroying enemy units. The extra points are spent on different types of air strikes from 'HQ' or unit drops from the sky. So it can get you anything from a squad of soldiers or tank to an air-to-air strike, a daisy cutter or napalm strike all the way to a nuke. Very satisfying and a beautiful game to watch - if you have the hardware for it.

Sins of a Solar Empire is different in many respects. The single player portion is just playing against the AI via maps; no story. They say that a story/campaign may come later. No worries, my friend, you will still enjoy this. Read on.

Multiplayer is available as well with the same maps, or you can create random maps on the fly or maps with an editor. You can play either co-op against the AI or with up to 10 others. Your DVD (or current install) allows you to install the same game on another computer at home for a 1vs1 LAN game (so you basically get 2 licenses for home LAN use). You can also save your multiplayer games in progress, and come back to them whenever you and your friends feel like getting together again!

What is so awesome and important about this is because your games, depending on the size of the map (star system) you create/select - can last anywhere from 30 minutes to literally months. That's right, I said months!

Sins of a Solar Empire does have Resource gathering and 3 races with differing tech trees. It's a deep game, and I guarantee if you like RTS games - you'll be satisfied. This is one of those games that is going to create lasting memories for you.

The game is happy with many different hardware setups and again, it's huge: I saw someone testing the beta (trying to break it) and they had created a fleet of like 10K+ ships.

News Comments > World in Conflict Patches
2. Awesome Feb 13, 2008, 12:48 BurntSoul

Man I'll tell ya,

If you don't experience World in Conflict (by Massive Ent.) and Sins of a Solar Empire (by IronClad Games/Stardock), you are really missing out.

Great games and great support.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 12:49.

News Comments > Hellgate: London Live, Subscriptions Not
24. No subject Oct 31, 2007, 12:14 BurntSoul

The quintessential Crippleware.

News Comments > UFO: Trilogy Announced
2. Re: No subject Jul 10, 2007, 15:40 BurntSoul

From what I've heard via reviews and other non-bluesnews forums, the 3rd game seemed to be pretty good. I like the first game, though I still had to work around some freaky bug issues even after the patches. I liked how the atmosphere and music worked together in it. All the UFO games are supposed to be X-Com like in nature, though not perfect renditions.

I couldn't tell you about the second game in the series, but I think the US version originally was 'armed' (or 'protected', depending on your view) with StarForce. Personally, I've uninstalled all StarForce games because they've always messed with my GameJackal profiles (check out Slysoft.com for GameJackal - It's great - especially if you have young kids) The question is, is it still this way, or has it been neutered?

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 15:43.

News Comments > Battlefield 2142 Patch
7. Rubbish/Gold! Feb 21, 2007, 14:38 BurntSoul

One man’s rubbish is another man’s gold!

I enjoyed BF 1942, BF Vietnam, BF 2 and BF 2142. Beyond BF 1942, I didn't purchase the Expansion packs.

So yeah, I enjoy(ed) them all. Some people are gonna hate Supreme Commander when it comes out. I won't. Some people are gonna hate Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. when they come out. I won't.

Am I going to bitch and whine about a patch because unit X is too strong or unit Y is gimped? No. Will I bitch because there is a possible cheat in game XYZ that hasn't been fixed yet? No, not on Blue's News anyway. That gets you nowhere.

You need to bitch about the game patch you are pissed about in the proper forums. That is, the forums where the developers are watching. If they don't listen to you at all, it's because you were too much of a bitch about it. Bitch less, help them out a little and they'll listen.

Grumbling about it here is a real waste of time.

I have an idea: How about everyone tries to be positive at least 50 percent of the time on this forum? Is it at all possible?

News Comments > Gold - Supreme Commander
24. This game is fun! Jan 18, 2007, 13:20 BurntSoul

Yeah, I beta tested it for awhile with my friend. Lot's of fun, brings me back to the good ol' days of Total Annihilation.

It chugged on my system, and for good reason. I have an Athlon 64 3000+, 1GB of ram, and an ATI Radeon X800XT 256MB.

Had to put my settings at all low detail + 1024x768.

It ran well, up until where my friend and I were pumping out like 5-6 Tier 1 bots every 15 seconds or so. We had about 400+ units on screen at one point...vveeerrryyy cool, I must say.

PS: Zero crashes, at that!

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 13:22.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Rainbow Six: Vegas
15. Re: Is this a port? Dec 14, 2006, 18:30 BurntSoul

KriszTheKing wrote:

Have a look at the Tweak sticky thread on the PC RSV forum about switching to shader model 2.0

KriszTheKing,

Yeah,I looked into it. I noticed some people were saying that tweaking it may possibly trip up punkbuster in multiplayer though. Nobody has said that it actually did that, however.

zirik wrote:
i was hoping that vegas for pc would follow graw for pc by having unique content not available in consoles

zirik,

On the content: Yeah, I agree - they did that in the 'good old days'.
On following GRAW: No - these games (Rainbow Six/Ghost Recon franchises) originally played diffrently, and had a different feel. Ghost Recon was set in wider areas while Rainbow Six\Raven Shield were set in more close quarters/indoor areas. This in turn changed the way you worked with your squad. Vegas probably differs from GRAW because of their past, but you can see some lines between the two products blurring.

jimnms wrote:

Rainbow Six used to be tactical shooters, which attempted to be realistic. In real life, if you take a hit, you're either incapacitated or dead. Some of the best online MP memories I've had is playing coop R6.

I bet there will be a realism mod if/when they release the mod and mapping tools. Too bad they didn't put the option in the GUI to begin with.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Rainbow Six: Vegas
10. Re: Is this a port? Dec 14, 2006, 17:16 BurntSoul

Whether anyone thinks it's a port or whether it is better than the console or not, from what I'm reading in the official PC RSV forums it seems to be getting more positive reviews from the older Rainbow Six fans. That is an excellent sign given that it's only been out a day or two.

One thing that I've noticed though, is that you may need a vid card with shader 3.0 support. Not sure if it is hard coded in, or whether there will be tweaks for changing this in the future.

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 17:18.

News Comments > Penumbra Goes Episodic
10. Re: Episodes Oct 3, 2006, 01:32 BurntSoul

If I spent $50 for WoW and bought a year's subscription ($140 I think?) that's $190 for that game for a year.. we'll assume that's how long it took to hit 60 at 15 days played. If I bought single-player games to give me the same amount of value in time played, I'd have spent more than twice that for FPS games at $20 a piece. For single-player RPG's at full price it'd be $500.

What part of that doesn't work for you?

Okay PropheT,

That's great financial logic, but I have a few personal (and totally illogical) problems with it:

1. Why would I spend money on a year's subscription plus the game just to feel obligated to play the same game for at least 360 hours? I've plunked down all the cash, now I'll feel shackled to that game even if it kills me... whoops, has that happened to people before?

2. I like RPGs like the rest of 'em, but you seriously mean to tell me I have to spend 360 hours, $190.00 just to get a 'start' on WoW? By that logic, it means I'll have to re-subscribe some more time/money/life away to really get going then... holy crap.

One example of what I call value: I bought The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. One shot deal. Suckiest part about it is that it's single player only. Best part about it is that I can go back to it any time I want or put it down anytime I want. I won't feel guilty that somewhere in my mind I'll be losing money if I don't get back to playing the game. Oh yeah, free community mods are available for download. That's a good value right there.

That and I can play different games with the money I 'saved' by not buying into WoW.

Bottom line? It wasn't nice of that previous poster to call WoW gamers idiots. However, to each his own. If you want to spend $190.00 on one game, great. I'd rather spend $300.00 on 6 new games. It's okay, you can call me stupid. I just think that there is no value in a game that (in the back of my mind, anyway) nags me to play it, no matter how many hours of 'value' it promises you by less money spent over time.

That and the grinding sucks.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 01:38.

News Comments > DEFCON Gold
23. Re: For the price, definitely worth it.. Sep 26, 2006, 16:41 BurntSoul

I know this is off topic, but I've got to say Company of Heroes totally rules.

News Comments > DEFCON Gold
19. For the price, definitely worth it... Sep 26, 2006, 13:06 BurntSoul

...Even if I play it only 10-20 times online. It's simple enough to get into and revives fond memories of WOPR/Joshua from Wargames (especially for those who first saw the movie years ago). If I don't like online play there's singleplayer action. The game can be set to real-time (for a very neat office game) or time can be ramped up for quicker action.

No, the story is not as deep as an RPG and the game is not as graphically intense as Prey or Half-Life 2 (or Donkey Kong). Does it have to be? No, and that is not the point.

The example videos easily advertise my expectations of the game.

Comparisons to Superpower 2: The only way this game can be compared to Superpower 2 is that it deals with conflicts between other nations in a modern setting and using the globe is the main focus of the interface. It's not a deep (and yawning) simulator like Superpower 2, and I'm happy for that because it will keep more people playing. I'm also willing to bet it will not be initially bug ridden like Superpower 2.

Finally, it doesn't install StarForce on your system like Superpower 2 does. (Sorry, I just couldn't resist).

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Vista price breakdown Sep 2, 2006, 21:16 BurntSoul

I hear ya, man. But like their previous versions, they will eventually make your last version of XP a legacy product like Windows 98, 98 SE and ME is now. The world will also eventually produce more and more games using DirectX 10 which XP can not have - and which you won't be able to play. Unless you only play the 'classics' (2006 or older) or just don't care about it, I think you'll be lucky to be playing any 'modern' (2007 or newer) games on your system after about 2.5-3 years.

However, that is still a good quantity of time. Save a few bucks here and there for a rainy day; who knows, maybe the upgrade price will go down by then...nah, this is MS we are talking about.

PS: You'll probably be stuck with having to upgrade your hardware by then, too. Hey, looks like I'm almost ready to try out Linux! WWEEEEEeeeeee!

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 21:18.

News Comments > Ultima Online: Kingdom Reborn Announcement
10. No subject Aug 25, 2006, 02:49 BurntSoul

The new art kind of looks like the same art from Sacred. Not a bad thing, just an observation.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Movie
86. Re: why does america support a theocracy Jul 19, 2006, 22:49 BurntSoul

Please don't feed the trolls.

Thank you.

Bucky,

Yeah you are right, that was stupid of me. He sucked me in, even after my retort!

173 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo