Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Toph O' Rama

Real Name Toph O' Rama   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BurntSoul
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 10, 2006, 03:46
Total Comments 172 (Novice)
User ID 24396

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
15. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 22, 2014, 13:16 BurntSoul

In my defense (plus blurring reality some more), if I didn't shoot them, they would have shot me first. These games don't win themselves, you know...

* And Hell, don't I have a right to bear virtual arms, too?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Z
13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Z Jul 5, 2014, 10:51 BurntSoul

For those that think about the multiplayer front of this game:

I know some people could care less about multiplayer, but I believe the option should have been left in if it were in the original game - even if it is IPX/SPX. This is not GOG's issue, it's the developer's, I guess...

This comment was edited on Jul 5, 2014, 10:56.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Z
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Z Jul 4, 2014, 10:40 BurntSoul

GOG lists Z as having both singleplayer and multiplayer. Is that a typo, HoSpanky? Do you have the game and cannot find the multiplayer function? I don't know as I didn't purchase it yet.  

News Comments > Steam Family Library Sharing Live
26. Re: Steam Family Library Sharing Live Mar 2, 2014, 00:10 BurntSoul

This is valve's answer for a PC demo and a Perfect win/win from a marketing perspective.

From a parent's point of view, it initially looks like it would be a great way to save money and keep the kids off their own computers + allow the kids to have personal achievements on their own steam account.

Then mom or dad want to play a game. Guess what? Timmy was playing a game right now, and you just knocked him off.

Well Timmy needs his CoD fix!

Mom and Dad now hear for the next 4 days that he wants his own copy of CoD on his own steam account...and he'll get it for sure! If not immediately for the whining, then definitely during a Christmas sale or when their birthday hits - whichever comes first.

It's Genius.

News Comments > New WHQL GeForce Drivers
14. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Oct 28, 2013, 15:03 BurntSoul

How about a second person?

Anyway, ShadowPlay is brainless to set up (because it's already done). A key command will automatically save 5 minutes of past gameplay. The high setting will make a 1.9GB file in that 5 minutes (resolution is 1920x1080 at 60FPS). I don't know if the driver scans your system and gives you the best setting for your rig, but that was automatically selected for me. You can also extend the automatic shadowplay mode for up to 20 minutes (7.5 GB file) and lower the quality. Finally, you can also go into 'manual' mode, which I'm guessing is recording whenever for however long that you want to.

News Comments > 64-bit Cross-Platform Nitrous Engine Announced
8. Re: 64-bit Cross-Platform Nitrous Engine Announced Oct 24, 2013, 12:38 BurntSoul

From what I gather, I don't think this is focused on first person shooter gaming engines, Creston. That wheel has already been made. The only way I see it, you'd be able to control 10,000 interactive units in a game is through something like an RTS.  

News Comments > The War of the Roses Gets "Permanent"
3. Re: The War of the Roses Gets Oct 3, 2012, 23:16 BurntSoul

Seeing as how they are going to continue adding content, you just may see a single player component crop up.  

News Comments > Chris Roberts Game Countdown?
1. Re: Chris Roberts Game Countdown? Sep 10, 2012, 12:18 BurntSoul

More info I found:

When I use Chrome or Firefox, 3 boxes come up after 15 seconds or so. The last box is looking for a code. It seems like there are elements missing in the boxes, except for the 'code' box. If you don't put a code in and just hit 'GO', you'll get a question mark. That should help you figure out the code. Simple as pie.

If you don't want to play that game, you can just use IE and it will plop you right into the page that is displayed when you entered the code from the other browsers.

News Comments > Sacred Citadel Announced; Sacred 3 Next Year
14. Re: Sacred Citadel Announced; Sacred 3 Next Year Aug 7, 2012, 19:35 BurntSoul

Wolfox,

Yeah I hope so. I loved Sacred 1. Played a lesser amount on Sacred 2 (still liked it, just didn't get through as much). I hope they do a decent job.

News Comments > Sacred Citadel Announced; Sacred 3 Next Year
4. Re: Sacred Citadel Announced; Sacred 3 Next Year Aug 7, 2012, 15:45 BurntSoul

This obvious statement must be mentioned:

That trailer in no way informs us about Sacred 3, only Sacred Citadel.

I know, I know the announcement was for Sacred Citadel. Since you threw a side note that Sacred 3 will be out next year however, where's my reveal trailer for Sacred 3? Oh, and a screenshot that is NOT a blurry, black and white watermark would suffice nicely...thanks.

News Comments > Tribes Ascend: Launches
24. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 17:16 BurntSoul

Simply put, the game is great out of the box (free). I haven't paid a cent yet. Those who have paid can get access to other classes that have different weapon loadouts, but overall I'm dying to newcomers as well as veterans. It's how you use those loadouts that count. Experience gained will eventually give you breathing room - for a while. Just like any other game, there's always someone who'll be able to kick your ass now and again.

As far as paying goes, I'm happy I don't have to. However, I also would have bought this game had it not come out as free to play. Given that line of reasoning, I personally wouldn't spend anything over $50 - if and when I decide to open my wallet.

News Comments > Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller
50. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 14:58 BurntSoul

Tumbler wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 14:24:
I don't see why people get so upset about a console game needing a console controller. Even if it's on the PC why does this really bother anyone? If you make a flight sim you will likely enjoy it more with a joystick. If you make a driving game you'll likely enjoy it more for with a wheel. (or a joystick or gamepad)

I like the option of playing these games on the PC with a controller. Loved Deus Ex PC with a controller, loved Skyrim PC with a controller. I'm guessing this won't be a $35 sale as deus ex was or as awesome as skyrim was so unless they offer a significant discount and ship it without always on DRM I don't see any of this mattering.

360 game for me.

It's a matter of preference, a matter of comfort. I think it's great that you prefer to play your games with a gamepad on PC. I do not like to play PC games using a gamepad unless it's an arcade game.

Difference between UbiSoft's new game and the games you played is, on the PC you had a choice/luxury as to which controller you wanted to use with Deus Ex or Skyrim on PC. and everybody is happy in this case.

42. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 13:54 BurntSoul

Here, let's flip this around and see what console players would think of this:

"We're definitely supporting Consoles, we love Consoles, but I think it'll be Consoles with a keyboard and mouse. I don't see us investing hugely in a controller setup. I think if you want to play on Console and you want to play Assassin's Creed, you have a keyboard and mouse."

I'm not attacking the console players out there, I play console games as well. All I'm saying is, if you read the above statement, don't you feel like they left something out?

41. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 13:50 BurntSoul

What a silly response, as if affording it is even relevant. The PC is the choice platform, it's all about customization and a personalized experience. People go to consoles for standardization and ease of use. If you want to release products for the PC then generally the audience is more receptive when they are actually tailored to the platforms strengths.

And yes some people like doing weird things playing racing games with a KB/M. Some people here play FPS games with arrow keys and bind things like movement to the mouse. Some people are disabled and need rebindable controls. That's why they are on this platform in the first place. They aren't exactly asking for much either.

TOTALLY -THIS- Thank you Verno!

I have a PC, I want to use its controls. I also don't want to wake up one day, realizing every developer is just going to use the gamepad from now on for PC titles. I'm comfortable with what the PC naturally uses for controllers. People want freedom to be able to bind their keys any damn way they please. If people want to use a gamepad as an alternative, great - have at it! To those games that hardcode their keys and mouse buttons - Fuck them as well. I'm left handed, it's hard enough finding a decent mouse. Let me use the arrow keys, for fuck's sake!

25. Re: Ubisoft: Play Assassin's Creed 3 PC With A Controller Mar 28, 2012, 12:49 BurntSoul

Yeah, you're right UbiSoft. You know what, I also am going to say 'fuck it' to the PC's natural set of controllers and just use a gamepad to send my daily email, create documents, do my taxes or edit a web page.

If you aren't going to invest in the mouse and keyboard, I'm not either.

I have another great idea: Next AC game, please - don't invest any time into the gamepad as a controller for the consoles, and instead focus on attacking and moving by using a yoke, pedals and a wheel. Playing Assassin's Creed never felt so good!

Fuck off UbiSoft.

News Comments > Call of Duty Elite Still Coming to PCs
3. Re: Call of Duty Elite Still Coming to PCs Nov 15, 2011, 22:41 BurntSoul

Well, the 'representative' said that it would be a free offering. Will that be a free offering of the advertisement for CoD elite subscription service for PC? Or will the subscription service be free for PC? Or... are they just saying it and then at the last minute will decide to pull it for the PC?  

News Comments > Op Ed
49. Re: Op Ed Sep 23, 2011, 13:09 BurntSoul

yuastnav wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 11:57:
Mhm I was not aware that there are roguelike multiplayer games.
The only one I knew was the online component of dungeon crawl stone soup which is more of a score-based ladder system or something like that.

The thing is that I wouldn't want to give up the round based concept of something like nethack.
It would not be impossible to make multiplayer, though, it would just be kinda difficult and straining on all the players because you'd always have to wait for the other player before you could make your turn again.

But thanks, I'll check that link out.

Cool, no problem. You'll see that the Wiki references Diablo under the 'mainstream success' section. I'll have to agree that a Wiki will not necessarily be the official end-all answer about the Diablo series, the included statements do follow (in my mind) that Diablo is a Roguelike hybrid of sorts, not a pure definition of the roguelike.

In the case of Diablo, it is not a turn based roguelike (hybrid), correct? So it follows that you wouldn't have to go down the path of turn-based strategy gaming with your FPS unless you wanted to. Dungeon Hack (1993) was not turn based and not strategic per se. It was all real-time until you 'rested'.

I do understand your preference for the round based nethack concept, however. Unfortunately, there are less and less of us able to focus on those types of games anymore (turn based real-time strategy). The FPS idea cannot dwell on that mechanic in this day and age and so is relegated to a more action based demographic.

It would be great to see games like Jagged Alliance or a 'real' X-Com come back from the dead, wouldn't it?

News Comments > Op Ed
47. Re: Op Ed Sep 23, 2011, 10:58 BurntSoul

yuastnav wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 08:52:

Something like nethack or dungeon crawl doesn't really work with coop.

Why? Can't we get creative and make it work?

First off I would never want Diablo III to be an FPS. However, I do think there is room for an FPS that has the Roguelike qualities of the diablo series as well as games like nethack/dungeon hack.

You probably already know this, but the Diablo series' roots were derived from the 'roguelike' game (random hack and slash + dungeon crawler adventure game, random loot drops). There are also multiplayer roguelike games. Go check the wiki on roguelikes to see it. Why is Diablo/Diablo II still being played today? I believe it's because of the Co-op, and the fact that the game is different enough based on random dungeon levels and item drops.

So why does this formula have to stay in the realm of isometric view?

There are more than a few FPS games right now that have everything Diablo has, excluding the level randomization. The story is generally the same: Kill bad guys + boss with quest, get loot, stay alive, level up and do it again.

FPS play + Randomization of levels and the options for them (before the game begins) are the only components that would need to be added.

What has to stay basically the same? The general storyline.

Future new campaigns could be created with new content, textures, creatures and tilesets - while the story changes with which baddies/bosses to kill. Alternatively, the original story could be retrofitted on the fly with a different tileset for that game (Kill boss A but now he lives in a dungeon as opposed to a castle, or he lives in the desert as opposed to the jungle).

You can also add randomly generated and/or recurring side-quests. MMORPGs do it all the time. Even if you didn't want that kind of randomization, you could create specific side-quests but randomly place them in the 'levels' when a new game starts or add more or less side-quests (or none at all).

This keeps things interesting and fresh.

You see, I'd rather be creative to solve this as opposed to saying it just cannot work.

News Comments > Op Ed
46. Re: Op Ed Sep 23, 2011, 10:15 BurntSoul

Beamer wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 18:50:
Know what never works with FP? Randomly generated content. It works in Diablo because you're so removed from the landscape that you don't notice how sparse and repetitive it is. Zoom down to eye level and you will.

I think that back in the 90's/early 2000's you'd get that kind of sparse and/or repetitive content. I remember Soldier of Fortune 2 had the option for random multiplayer levels. It was almost there (the experiment worked), but the tech wasn't ready. I think that nowadays developers could certainly figure out a way to make better use of tileset transitions and add random environmental things like stalagmites, flora/fauna, rocks, use of water and weather in a random way that will be more interesting and immersive.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Expansions Timed PS3 Exclusives
23. Re: Battlefield 3 Expansions Timed PS3 Exclusives Sep 22, 2011, 19:52 BurntSoul

Not to try to change the subject, but:

Did you know the Witcher 2 is going to be coming out with some new DLC in late September?

The DLC is Free.
The DLC includes all previous DLC content.
The DLC will be coming out the same time for all platforms it is currently on.
The DLC adds a game type, a tutorial, new quests, another difficulty setting.
The DLC will not have horse armor.

Now that is the right way to do it.

172 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo