Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nameo

Real Name Nameo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DarkCntry
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 29, 2006, 02:29
Total Comments 581 (Apprentice)
User ID 24330

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Tropico 5
12. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2014, 20:32 DarkCntry

JaguarUSF wrote on May 24, 2014, 14:44:
Rigs wrote on May 24, 2014, 11:46:
ArsTechnica didn't like it too much, though he went off on a tangent about...actually, I don't even really know
He seemed to be infatuated with complaining about the missions. Apparently they were too specific for him. I don't think they are; since you usually have 3-6 going on at the same time, I didn't think it was excessive hand-holding.

He's also a bit incorrect in a few spots...one in particular is the comment about how you aren't alerted about deaths on the island due to a deficit. You still get popups about the deaths (lack of medical coverage, starvation) in the PIP popups. Matter of fact, I do believe anything that occurs on my island that is pertinent to my attention needs is shown in that little window, all without having to open the almanac, albeit I still do that out of habit anyways.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Tropico 5 May 23, 2014, 22:05 DarkCntry

Task wrote on May 23, 2014, 21:34:
I'm curious how this plays... any good youtube reviews?

TotalBiscuit's WTF is Tropico 5

Non-video reviews

Eurogamer's 7/10

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Tropico 5 May 23, 2014, 19:04 DarkCntry

Just a little over 2 hours in on the campaign...it's more of the same with Tropico in the mechanics department, but the overall game seems better to me.

The constitution aspect and the Dynasty aspect are, thus far, pretty encouraging in allowing a specialized rule system. Haven't attempted the multiplayer (probably won't until I finish the campaign), so I won't comment on that aspect, although it is a welcomed addition if it was done right.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
45. Re: Steam Top 10 May 19, 2014, 10:37 DarkCntry

Prez wrote on May 19, 2014, 07:04:
I would REALLY love you to name a game that out-minecraft's Minecraft. Just one. Something with destructible terrain, multiplayer, the amount of content and player agency. If there is a game that surpasses it and makes it look terrible x2 I will apologise to you right here.

If you were talking cultural phenomenon status I would say the only franchises that come close to Minecraft would be the Sims or World of Warcraft. What Minecraft does better than any other game is it engages not so much "gamers" (though I know a bunch of them who still play) but entices the imaginations of the "creators", the "tinkerers", and many other of traditionally non-gamer types by being every bit as much of a toy and imagination sandbox as game.

I wouldn't really call Minecraft a 'game' per se, but more of a sandbox. Yes, there's 'survival' mode, but I would wager a guess that the mass majority of players do creative mode. The only actual goals of Minecraft is to just build, it would be basically just taking the building portion of The Sims and removing all of the other aspects.

I would liken Minecraft to digital Legos, while there are 'templates' that you can follow, the real fun comes with just going crazy and building whatever you want.

News Comments > On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game
23. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 5, 2014, 19:57 DarkCntry

Cutter wrote on May 5, 2014, 18:19:
DarkCntry wrote on May 5, 2014, 15:28:
Stop trying to Cutter-up the conversation due to a reading comprehension problem and implementing red herrings.

Do you deny the existence of exosuits? Optic camouflage? Devices that allow climbers to adhere to specific surfaces?

What are you smoking? Show me one exoskeleton that does one of those things. We had jet packs in the 50s and they still haven't changed. We've had robots since then too and even for the ones that can walk it's just barely. You're on fucking crack if you think HALO style powered armor suits are going to be showing up anytime soon. You're the one with comprehension problems. Reality comprehension.

Typical Cutter wit...no actual semblance to being capable of reading something, instead heading directly into attacking.

As have been pointed out quite a few times, there's examples of prototypes and other material being created that, within the time frame that the game is stated, could in fact be realistic.

Of course, however, you seem to be hellbent on throwing red herring after red herring...you really should be a fisherman. I mean, really, who said anything about HALO-style powered armor?

11. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 5, 2014, 15:28 DarkCntry

Cutter wrote on May 5, 2014, 15:20:
DarkCntry wrote on May 5, 2014, 13:56:
Not entirely sure what you mean with that...exoskeleton suits have been in development for a couple decades now, many of which have systems in place that use various aspects you quoted.

Then there's the optic camouflage that's been worked on for a few years. There's nothing non-realistic, albeit still almost all prototype stuff, in your quote.

Um, not quite. They're basically mechanical mules to carry stuff and nothing more. You just let us know the moment they're capable of super-jumps, hovering in mid-air, boost-dodging, etc. lol!

Stop trying to Cutter-up the conversation due to a reading comprehension problem and implementing red herrings.

Do you deny the existence of exosuits? Optic camouflage? Devices that allow climbers to adhere to specific surfaces?

8. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 5, 2014, 13:56 DarkCntry

Yosemite Sam wrote on May 5, 2014, 13:34:
explain the emphasis being placed on realism

Using the EXO suit, you can climb walls with magnetic gloves, boost-dodge toward cover, perform super-jumps that let you get to higher ground, use optic camouflage for cloaking, and hover in mid-air

LOL, the 'realism' didn't even make it to the end of their spiel.

Not entirely sure what you mean with that...exoskeleton suits have been in development for a couple decades now, many of which have systems in place that use various aspects you quoted.

Then there's the optic camouflage that's been worked on for a few years. There's nothing non-realistic, albeit still almost all prototype stuff, in your quote.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
12. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 3, 2014, 20:41 DarkCntry

Veterator wrote on May 3, 2014, 17:55:
I guess I'd have to say one is TV where they've set the guy up in such a way to make it clear that he knew he what he was showing up for.

And the other is posting suspect photos AND information with an unknown level of setup/confirmation. If they prosecute them all successfully it's likely it was done right, but like I said..if one gets away they can sue.

They could sue the TV show too if they didn't actually do what they were being accused of and aired. But they could have just as easily waited until after sentencing to air the episodes to cover their ass, don't really care enough to look it up.

These guys are LIVE TWEETING....so yeah.

Then they could easily preface their live-tweet with the same thing that COPS does at the close of their show about everyone show is innocent until proven otherwise in a court-of-law.

That said, it doesn't really matter as they've laid out the general idea of the sting. Follow the ads to the operations and the clients.

Of course, we could all get into the theories that this police department is corrupt and would intentionally setup people...but doing so in such a public manner would probably be one of the worst decisions in the history of man.

Kosumo wrote on May 3, 2014, 16:50:
Prostitution is totally legal in many places. (because they are consenting adults)

Just like drug use.

You know that whats legal and whats not is a man made concept that changes over time.

Do you believe you should be able to tell people what they can and cant do when they are in agreement?

Are you really going to get into a philosophical debate about laws? In the state that this takes place, prostitution is not a legal activity, pretty clear to me.

8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 3, 2014, 13:27 DarkCntry

Julio wrote on May 3, 2014, 11:00:
DarkCntry wrote on May 3, 2014, 03:08:
Again, how is this any different than what To Catch a Predator does, except the nicety of TV post-production and lead-in times?

One's catching pedos, and one is catching consenting adults.

Funny, I didn't know that consenting adults makes prostitution legal...

News Comments > Evening Interviews
7. Re: Evening Interviews May 3, 2014, 03:24 DarkCntry

nin wrote on May 3, 2014, 00:08:
shihonage wrote on May 3, 2014, 00:05:
we pity the outside world, for it has no taste in RPGs.

I think I see the problem...

You read half their forums and your brain might just think it ran into a Cutter-fest.

6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 3, 2014, 03:08 DarkCntry

Veterator wrote on May 3, 2014, 03:01:
From the Prostitute article: Suspect photos and information will be tweeted.

I predict that will backfire on them quite horribly if just one fails to be prosecuted successfully.

Used to be a guy around this area that if approached by someone would record the conversation with a pocket recorder he kept in his pocket. One day an under cover cop walks up, and he starts to record it. She busts him for soliciting her, in fact she busts a significant number of dudes in a short period of time like 25-50 in a day. Gets into court, it's his turn to go up, he plays his recording and the judge asks who else was busted by that particular cop and has to let them all go due to his recording showing that he never once indicated he was interested. He just said things like "uh huh" or "I see" to keep her talking knowing something was fishy. Cop got yelled at by the judge for awhile and no idea if anything happened beyond that.

But if you put those guys pictures and info up on twitter today with something like that happening...you think none would sue for defamation/etc. Just hinting that someone could have done something nowadays could end a career, especially if they deal with elderly or children.

Again, how is this any different than what To Catch a Predator does, except the nicety of TV post-production and lead-in times?

1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 2, 2014, 18:54 DarkCntry

PGPD to Live Tweet Prostitution Sting.

Everyone enjoyed the idea when Chris Hanson decided to do similar things to pedophiles...so what makes this really any different except cutting out the middleman of television?

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare in November
4. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare in November May 2, 2014, 09:20 DarkCntry

I generally don't like the CoD games for the actual mechanics or overall plot, but hey, they do make some decent Michael Bay-level popcorn action.

That said, Ghost Recon would like a word with the notion of "Advanced Warfare"...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2014, 15:48 DarkCntry

Those thinking that Almost Human was shown out-of-order are correct, like Firefly the Execs figured they knew better in how a show should be aired and decided to mix-and-match episode air dates.

Sad to say, like Firefly, it created a disjointed feeling which I am sure didn't help viewers keep up.

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 12:57:
RIP Mario....I mean Bob Hoskins, 71.

Don't you mean Eddie Valiant? At least remember him for quality

News Comments > Free Battlefield 1942 Redux
10. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Redux Apr 18, 2014, 22:49 DarkCntry

MEAHT wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 21:41:
Best MP game of all time: Desert Combat.

Sup Frank Delise (anyone know what hes up to nowadays?)
Still remember the first skin of M1A1 Tank he put up as the first step of the mod.

Far as I know he works at Autodesk now.

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed
29. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed Apr 9, 2014, 18:01 DarkCntry

Nighthawk wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 17:49:
Apparently nobody wants to say thank you.
Tried 2, both taken, thanks anyway, very kind of you.
The only one I got was Postal...not entirely sure that I should be thanking for that

Seriously though, thanks for the keys.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Advanced Edition
19. Re: Ships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Advanced Edition Apr 4, 2014, 00:39 DarkCntry

Bradley wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 19:08:
I still don't understand the mass appeal of this game. I just fired it up after work to see what was updated. I'm doing great for a while, then get completely obliterated after one bad roll of the random number generator. Maybe I just really suck at it, but I prefer to have more control.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike

It's that whole idea that any jump can equate to you losing, and the feeling that you get when you do prevail.

News Comments > Elder Scrolls Online Launch Prep
14. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Launch Prep Apr 3, 2014, 20:27 DarkCntry

Darks wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 20:18:
Osc8r wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 20:06:
mlw wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 19:40:
Do movie theaters let you watch movies for free?
Do restaurants let you eat for free?

Welcome To The Real World.

You mean the real world where there are better MMO's than ESO and which don't have a monthly fee attached?

This ESO MMO is as generic as they come - there is simply no justification for the monthly fee in THIS CASE considering their competition.

Give it time, i'm sure they too will realise this.

Glad you are enjoying it though! Half a dozen beta's were more than enough for me.

Yea, says you. Ill take a monthly sub any day of a free to play model. the F2P model nickel and dimes you to death for almost anything you need or what to do In the game.

And since when has a monthly sub now become bad?

As for this being as generic as they come, I take it you haven't gone past level 15? Because the game really starts to open up after you get on the main land and questing. I have seen MMO's that are way worst then this game. This game at least has quality voice overs acting and voice overs for nearly every NPC that you talk to through your the world that is of relevance. Where is that being done in any other MMO? Certainly not in Wildstar.

Monthly fees are not bad if they give value for their cost. In the case of ESO, $15/mth for access to another of the same type of MMO that is available in GW2 (for less) is not good value.

Also the majority of the AAA-level F2P MMOs don't nickel and dime you...that wives tale is getting a bit long in the tooth.

As for the "quality" VOs, TOR beat them to the punch there, and the quality for ESO is the same quality as the previous Elder Scrolls games, which to say is not all that 'great' in my opinion.

News Comments > Elder Scrolls Online Launch Prep
9. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Launch Prep Apr 3, 2014, 19:30 DarkCntry

Darks wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 19:15:
ViRGE wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 18:37:
Am I the only person who has essentially completely forgotten about this game?

Seriously dude, give it a rest already. if you don't like the game please don't come in here spouting shit like that. No one cares about your lame opinion. The game happens to pretty damn good. But someone like you who most likely never played one second of the game has a negative opinion about the game.

I'm fine with people like you not liking the game, but why is it you all need to reiterate that fact in the forums a hundred times over?

As someone who was in beta from it's first day I can say that ESO, while a decent MMO, doesn't do anything to advance the genre. It uses DAOC and/or GW2's PvP system, it uses themeparking to a great degree, and its 'expansive' skill system is not really that expansive.

On top of that it really removes a hallmark of Elder Scrolls games, the exploration. While, yes, you can still randomly run around here and there the world is empty except for pre-determined areas and hubs. The few 'random' NPCs that walk here and there are egregiously more scripted events than they were in Oblivion and Skyrim.

And then there is the Imperial race...which is walled off by only purchasing the Imperial edition. You're effectively locking off a complete race, with skills and everything, behind a paywall.

As I said, the game is a passable MMO, but one not worth $15/mth. Most everyone in the industry expect it will go free to play within the year though, so there is that. Of course, how they implement that without making the PvP pointless will be interesting.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 24, 2014, 23:25 DarkCntry

Prez wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 21:36:
DarkCntry wrote on Mar 24, 2014, 20:30:
Honestly I still don't think that that poll is anything more than a joke. I mean saying that a game company with, at worst, a capitalistic mentality is worse than banks screwing people over out of their homes, large-scale companies foregoing safety and dumping millions of gallons of oil into the Gulf, and then the multitude of other companies out there that are actually causing physical harm on people is rather stupid.

You are assuming that everyone who votes has the exact same definition of "worst" as you do. As an example, someone else might have had pretty good customer service and got a decent home refinance loan from one of the banks you despise while having gotten screwed by EA in one or more of the myriad ways EA fucks over their customer base on a regular basis. Their vote is legitimate as well. Not veryone sees everything on a global scale; many people rate things based on how those things affect them personally. Which is why, incidentally, I voted for EA again...

But that's the thing...while EA may be doing things that you may not like (see: Dungeon Keeper et al), it doesn't make them the 'worst' by any regard as they are not a pervasive entity in the sense that you don't need to do business with them. While you may not take part in a particular bank, you are still directly affected by them due to their influence over various aspects of our life that are impossible to avoid.

When people vote for a game company in this it makes me think that they don't need to worry about retirement, mortgages, or other bills...stuff that directly affects the livelihood of people and not just a source of entertainment.

581 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo