Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nameo

Real Name Nameo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DarkCntry
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 29, 2006, 02:29
Total Comments 507 (Apprentice)
User ID 24330

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Spore to Steam?
9. Re: Spore to Steam? Dec 17, 2008, 00:50 DarkCntry

hopefully SW:TOR will be offered on steam when it comes out. except i might buy the collectors edition if its kool enough.

Tell you the honest truth, it wouldn't matter in the case of an MMO who offers it, it'll still be to the whim of whatever company hosts the servers that you're playing on.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Phantom Store Launches
11. Re: Phantom Store Launches Dec 15, 2008, 18:52 DarkCntry

The same ones who get Direct2Drive or other download services. Steam is not the only one out there you know.  

News Comments > GTA4 PC Uncut in AU; Or Cut Everywhere?
5. Re: GTA4 PC Uncut in AU; Or Cut Everywhere? Dec 1, 2008, 13:10 DarkCntry

I swear to god if damned AU ratings fuck over the game for the rest of the world like it did for Fallout 3 im going to be seriously pissed.

Uh, the Fallout 3 changes, overall, were negligible at best.

News Comments > Dungeon Keeper MMO in China, Maybe Elsewhere
1. Re: Dungeon Keeper MMO in China, Maybe Elsewhere Dec 1, 2008, 10:11 DarkCntry

Really hate to see the micropayments for this game....not to mention I'm racking my brain trying to wrap around how they're going to get gameplay to work..  

News Comments > Dungeons and Dragons Online Plans
14. Re: Dungeons and Dragons Online Plans Nov 12, 2008, 17:54 DarkCntry

Yes, it sucks so much..... Inquisitive

Even if it does go under in the next three years it will be a fairly successful MMO...

BTW, Tribes is not what I'd consider a hardcore game...and comparing two totally different genres like you are makes absolutely zero sense.

News Comments > Dungeons and Dragons Online Plans
12. Re: Dungeons and Dragons Online Plans Nov 12, 2008, 17:21 DarkCntry

Auto Assault did wonders with the post-apocolyptic genre...didn't it?

There are god knows how many post-apoc genre MMOs out there to equal with the expected fantasy-based ones. Yes, a good portion are of Korean descent, but they do exist and they aren't nearly as popular as the tried and true fantasy genre.

DDO was meant to satiate those who wanted D&D rulesets in an MMO environment, leading to a shitload of hardcore-centric gaming styles, pushing DDO into a niche world.

Turbine's damn good at their MMOs

News Comments > LOTRO Welcome Back Weekend
6. Re: LOTRO Welcome Back Weekend Nov 6, 2008, 14:47 DarkCntry

Well you have a max of 2x, meaning that you can effectively level once if you stay logged out for a while. It is capped at a specific amount though, which I believe is 1.5x the amount required at any level.

In other words, you kill a mob for 100xp, you will gain 200xp up to a set point of 1.5x your current level XP...or at least I think, hell it's been a while since I have had rested XP that most of it is fuzzy.

It was one of the ways for Turbine to keep players together in levels even if they don't have all the free time to play as some of their friends.

Another note is that rest XP only affects mob kills, quest XP is still the same no matter what you do...although it does eat away at the awarded rest XP.

News Comments > LOTRO Welcome Back Weekend
3. Re: LOTRO Welcome Back Weekend Nov 6, 2008, 13:51 DarkCntry

Rest XP in LOTRO accumulates whenever your character is offline. I forget the exact amount, but you can effectively get 2x XP.

Doesn't require logging off in a particular place, just to log off for, I believe, longer than 12 hours.

News Comments > Red Alert 3 Dev: PC Piracy a "Huge Concern"
40. Re: Red Alert 3 Dev: PC Piracy a Nov 5, 2008, 19:02 DarkCntry

Hmm, maybe you're on a tracker I've never heard of. I've been on many public and private trackers and have yet to see a single infringing torrent hit 1K users at a time. Legit torrents like linux isos, yes, all the time. But not pirated stuff. Not even insanely popular things.

The 'max of 10K' figure I threw out there was for all the trackers I've heard of, combined.

Fallout 3-RELOADED 10-28 19:29 DownloadThis torrent has 610 comments. 5.52 GiB 3962 21742

The above is ~4k seeders and 21k peers...and that is just one of many of the duplicate torrent swarms.

This comment was edited on Nov 5, 2008, 19:03.

31. Re: Red Alert 3 Dev: PC Piracy a Nov 5, 2008, 18:22 DarkCntry

@ Tumbler

Uh...you stated that you sell good games people will buy them. It's almost a universally accepted thing that games like Psychonauts (while you may not have liked it personally) was a well-liked and innovative game, but at the same time it couldn't sell itself out of a box.

It had nothing to do with piracy, it had to do with the fact that it didn't have a name like "Halo" or other established brand to it.

So, your spiel about 'sell good games people will buy' just doesn't float.

26. Re: Red Alert 3 Dev: PC Piracy a Nov 5, 2008, 18:09 DarkCntry

@ Tumbler
Sell shit and it won't sell, sell good products and they will sell.

Guess you missed the whole bus on things like Pyschonauts and other critically acclaimed yet financial flop games.

22. Re: Red Alert 3 Dev: PC Piracy a Nov 5, 2008, 18:05 DarkCntry

Ok, Piracy has been around for software for as long as software has been commercially made available, it's just the nature of things.

Usenet was the original source after BBSes became too small to deal with...Usenet dried up to a more open and easier to use things like IRC-based (probably one of the first iterations of P2P I guess), that moved into things like direct P2P with emule, kazaa, and other related things...but now-a-days, BT has taken over as the easiest and most prolific way to pirate.

Sure, Usenet is still a perfect way, but with most ISPs dropping the alt.bins and direct downloading pretty much falling the way of the dinosaurs...BT has taken up the banner.

It's far easier to pirate on a larger scale today than it has ever been. Going from physical pirating (casual pirating == sharing disks) to full-on digital pirating has increased exponentially the amount of pirating that has taken place.

Does pirating create problems? Yes. Has pirating created all of the problems for the PC gaming industry? No. The problem arises when publishers see quantity over quality and don't take chances with genres.

[Edit] @ necrosis...sorry I don't agree about the Fallout 3 sentiment. I find it a rather enjoyable and stable game on my PC.

This comment was edited on Nov 5, 2008, 18:08.

12. Re: Red Alert 3 Dev: PC Piracy a Nov 5, 2008, 17:50 DarkCntry

Piracy on a console isn't as simple as just downloading the game like it is on the PC. No one thinks you can totally get rid of piracy altogether; it's keeping it to an absolute minimum, or at least to a point where it doesn't immediately impact sales numbers, that's important. Looking at it in that respect, console piracy and PC piracy aren't even remotely the same animal.

It sure is getting to that point. With a few small mods you can get a 360 to play games directly off a secondary drive, all without the need to play solder-monkey in the guts. With things like the Wii all it takes is an SD card and a bit of fandangling around. The PS3, I'm sure, is going to be just as simple to work with on pirated things when more people get to downloading the BR-sized ISOs.

News Comments > Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 Launch Trailer
21. Re: Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 Launch Trailer Oct 28, 2008, 02:02 DarkCntry

Really sad...DRM is any means to which a company protects its assets of digital works...in this case, disc-checking. Don't have the disc in the drive it will fail to run the game, unless you circumvent it with a no-CD/DVD.

So yes, disc-checking is a form of DRM.

19. Re: Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 Launch Trailer Oct 27, 2008, 21:50 DarkCntry

Stick a fork in this one, DRM killed it for me. Ive been a long time supporter and have bought every CnC game thats come out but I absolutly will not support EA or their screwed up DRM. So I spent muy money on Fallout 3.

Inquisitive

So you skipped one type of DRM for another, even if it is not called DRM? Disc-checks are still a form of DRM even if developers don't call it such.

News Comments > Need for Speed Underground Movie
2. Re: Need for Speed Underground Movie Oct 27, 2008, 20:42 DarkCntry

Considering the nature of the game, I think the physics fit perfectly. Makes an arcade game much more high-paced and less about real-world challenges.  

12. Re: Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 Launch Trailer Oct 27, 2008, 20:19 DarkCntry

Not exactly what I'd call proof...hell, I could easily make 300 amazon accounts and spam the hell out of their 'reviews' with anything I damn well please.

The point is a simple one...people will buy if they like it, DRM or not. Do I agree with DRM, to an extent yes, is it as intrusive as a lot of people claim it to be? Not even close.

I've always held the notion that until SecuROM takes StarForce's schemes I won't have a problem with DRM.

News Comments > PCGA Slaps LucasArts
9. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2008, 15:42 DarkCntry

I thought Unleashed was a decent time waster in the SW universe, beyond that little else shined too brightly. The story, while it had merit, just didn't get fleshed out nearly enough, the gameplay became how fast can you flip off a stormtrooper after shocking him nearly to death, and the ending was rather abrupt to say the least.

As for no PC making...I find that pretty laughable. I played both the 360 version at a friends and the Wii version on my own system...they were effectively the exact same game minus a few under-the-hood changes. The Wii just doesn't have the horsepower to do a lot of the physics-based crap.

That said, if it could be ported to the Wii, it can be put on the PC.

News Comments > Dexter on PCs
4. Re: No subject Oct 18, 2008, 17:30 DarkCntry

I'm trying to still wrap my head around how they can actually make a game around Dexter...

News Comments > Turbine's PC Commitment
2. Re: Turbine Oct 18, 2008, 11:22 DarkCntry

Square-Enix might disagree with you there...

507 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo