Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nameo

Real Name Nameo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DarkCntry
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 29, 2006, 02:29
Total Comments 536 (Apprentice)
User ID 24330

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > America's Army Devs Discharged
4. Re: America's Army Devs Discharged Jun 18, 2009, 20:30 DarkCntry

It's not a big surprise, the development staff for the game rotated quite regularly with people coming and going. In the time that I was employed by them we saw at least 7 developers leave the project.

This may just be a way for the Army to consolidate the process of hiring and firings and make it easier for them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > America's Army 3 Released
117. Re: America's Army 3 Released Jun 18, 2009, 16:37 DarkCntry

Yea, good job...run away in defeat and then try to insult me in the process. My job tenure there was not developing the game, I worked as an AACM that oversaw the IRC networks and volunteer staff, so I didn't contribute to anything there. I was, however, a beta tester on the original project for over 4 years, so in a sense I did contribute there...suffice to say, I still know everyone personally on the project and have spoken to a few of them on this regard, so take that as you will my friend, I'm sure you'll have some way to distort it to make it seem like Valve is all rosy and good.

That said...the only one who has issues here with comprehension is you, Dagok, as we are all looking at things from a majority perspective and seeing that that majority is having issues with Steam's content delivery service. You, on the other hand, seem to have this notion that Steam is some god-send to gaming and that nothing they do is every bad...we like to call those types of people clueless fanboys.

115. Re: America's Army 3 Released Jun 18, 2009, 15:57 DarkCntry

You're pretty dense aren't you? Just because you have a lack of comprehension skills doesn't mean you are correct in your assessment here...

Suffice to say everyone here knows who's right and who's wrong and honestly, they've already stated that fact. I've also stated that I've worked with this project as an employee so I have knowledge backing me up here and you only have linking and reading comprehension problems backing up your claims.

Again, let's make this abundantly clear Dagok...

People who download from Steam, either directly or via pre-load, do so through Steam's servers. There's no intermediary between that and the user (in this case what you're trying to state) that goes through anything that America's Army hosts, it is strictly a Valve job. When a player downloads, installs, and then runs the game they are presented with the log in screen, which leads to the Auth servers and where the majority of folks are having their issues. At this point, it's out of Valve's hands and in AA's hands. All fine and dandy, the problem is, almost everyone who has downloaded via Steam has run into download speed issues, congestion issues, delays, etc, which as I already pointed out is a sole issue of Valve via Steam.

As for your reasonable time, I'm sure I don't have to point out the free weekends they generally run and the madhouse it creates...and then the 'reasonable time' that somehow takes up almost the entire free weekend to get straightened out.

But again, I like how you backpeddle now in saying that you didn't say anything about AA's auth servers having to do with downloading...
I NEVER SAID PRAGMATIC SOLUTIONS HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE DOWNLOAD. LEARN TO READ.

I also said that the Steam servers for downloading were not being overloaded (bandwidth-wise) but that it was probably getting too many user requests at once...which i was also correct in, and many people once connected were downloading at very fast speeds.

when not even two sentences up...
Like I just said...the ordering of this phrase (bolded) to me determines the order in which the problem is occurring
This shows that you believe it has to do with AA's issues for the download...which again, is Pragmatic Solutions and again, has nothing to do with downloading.

But anyways, take your odd view of things and run with it if you so desire, you're really not doing much at making yourself out to be all that informed.

112. Re: America's Army 3 Released Jun 18, 2009, 15:37 DarkCntry

Please Dagok, find me an AACM telling you that it's the Auth servers controlling the downloads from Steam...

THE ENTIRE DOWNLOAD VIA STEAM IS HANDLED BY VALVE AND NOT BY PRAGMATIC SOLUTIONS.

There, is that clear enough for you? You have been continually placing blame off of Valve for this piss-poor handling of a pre-load and download, which is incorrect. You then try to back this up with some twisting of what either Phoenix or Chalktroop have stated in regards to the Auth server issues when that has absolutely nothing to do with the downloading aspect. Big Download's client itself is no different than Steam's other than the fact that the Deploy Client will update itself and the Steam uses Steam. Again, that's UPDATE, not download the original client...which is what everyone here is discussing in regards to Valve's fuck-up.

110. Re: America's Army 3 Released Jun 18, 2009, 15:10 DarkCntry

Uh, my good man Dagok, I used to be employed by the America's Army team, so trust me when I say I know what the hell I'm talking about when it details the authentication servers.

The Auth servers regard anything to the player's account IN-GAME only, it has absolutely nothing to do with downloading the program from Steam. The Deploy Client, from the other download source, is the only one that is tied to a similar system to the Auth servers, however it still doesn't impact the download of the actual client. The Server master list is hosted by the same company that hosts the Auth servers (Pragmatic Solutions) and it's also non-functional and holding people back from even obtaining most server lists.

Steam's download is wholly controlled by Valve's infrastructure and has absolutely nothing to do with Pragmatic Solutions systems until the file is downloaded, installed, and ran. The Auth servers, again, only control player accounts and has absolutely nothing to do with downloading the program.

So please, shut up with shit you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Edit- Also, the difference between the client from Steam and the Deploy Client (the Big Download one) is that the Deploy Client updates itself, where-as the Steam version is updated via Steam.

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 2009, 15:12.

90. Re: America's Army 3 Released Jun 18, 2009, 04:36 DarkCntry

See the bold text...So how much of the problem was actually Steam or the Steam servers? Probably very little, seeing as the people having the problems aren't able to connect to the AA3 servers to authenticate which then allows people to download from the Steam servers. Which as I posted earlier, the Steam servers were NOT overloaded, and it was probably more to do with too many user requests. Guess I was right...and this is according to the AA3 team.

I'm sure you'll find some way to twist this and flame Valve some more...have fun with that.

Actually...the Auth servers for AA have absolutely zero, and here let me emphasize it...ZERO, to do with the download capacity issues from Steam. Steam's infrastructure is the only thing causing the issues there. Now in-game access to accounts and databases for the game is a wholly different beast which has absolutely zero to do with Steam.

News Comments > No Free DDO in EU
32. Re: No Free DDO in EU Jun 13, 2009, 00:24 DarkCntry

Anyway, here's how I guess this went down behind closed doors. Turbine talked to Codemasters about the new revenue plan. Codemasters realizes that DandD is not long for the world after that discussion. Codemasters knows they can at least _guarrantee_ the $$ that goes to Codemasters from the EU monthy subscription until the game goes off-line forever one year from now. Codemaster is playing it safe. And if I were them I would do the same. Dark, I'm not saying the game is terrible but do think this split revenue plan shows an _internal_ vote of no confidence in the longevity of their DandD MMO.

So in other words, just because Codemasters doesn't follow suit because they don't have the manpower infrastructure to support RMT-based systems for their EU subscribers means that they feel that DDO is dead? To me, it looks like they just don't have the manpower right now to support the system Turbine has created and prepped for, which is a far likelier situation than the Doom & Gloom® you're speaking of. If you knew anything about Codemaster's and their less-than-stellar record of being supportive of their licensed material then you'd be singing a wholly different tune.

30. Re: No Free DDO in EU Jun 11, 2009, 16:41 DarkCntry

No dark, you dont get it. The had to have been official meetings where they talked about this revenue plan. They knew they couldnt execute the plan in the EU and codemasters, and yet the did it anyway.

Was that wise from a PR standpoint? Of course not.
Would it annoy veteran players? Yes

Hence, they are flailing.

I don't get it? I'm not one of the people flying off the handle by stating a parent company (in this case, Turbine) is flailing when a licensed subsidiary doesn't follow the same system (in this case, Codemasters). Turbine licensed all subscription rights and revenue to Codemasters for the EU release of DDO, therefor Turbine only provides code updates to Codemasters and deals with zero part of the subscription side, hence how it's all but impossible for the lack of a free EU version being Turbine's fault.

22. Re: No Free DDO in EU Jun 10, 2009, 18:11 DarkCntry

Turbine is flailing and seems unsure what to do -- it doesnt make sense
&
QFT

WTF is Turbine thinking?

I see BN readers are still associating the word 'read' selectively...Turbine does not control the EU versions of DDO, that's Codemasters. How the hell is it Turbine's fail that Codemasters doesn't want to follow the same business model in the territory that Turbine wants to in a region that Turbine doesn't control the subscriptions?

News Comments > Battlefield Heroes Beta Status
13. Re: Battlefield Heroes Beta Status Mar 27, 2009, 12:50 DarkCntry

Wait, what!?

The only thing that is actually useful that requires you to pay actual money for are minor boosts to VP and XP, these last between 1 and 14 days depending on how much you pay for them.

They are like 2-5% overall boosts, not really enough to get you far ahead of those who don't use them, but if you're on the cusp of leveling or needing VPs for a weapon, then it's somewhat useful.

News Comments > Battlefield Heroes Beta Status
10. Re: Battlefield Heroes Beta Status Mar 27, 2009, 05:15 DarkCntry

The BF:H beta has quite a few issues to deal through (god I'm tired of the ability to shoot down planes as a sniper that easily, even though I can do it myself)...

But that said, it's still a pretty good game for the price-point. The only issue I really have is the RMT part, but in this context it's really not much of an issue seeing as the only truly useful thing you can buy are the VP and XP boosts, everything else is just effectively fluff.

As the sniper class, it only took me a few games to get enough VP to purchase the 7-day gun 'tryout', and like a week to get enough VP to buy the full-time replacement. This is without the VP boosts and only gaining the VP from missions and gameplay.

There's no regenerating health, no clue where anyone got the idea there was, the closest you get are bandages and wrenches that are purchased via VP that have both limited uses and takes up an ability slot each. Not to mention, the wrench apparently won't repair vehicles once they reach the 'red zone'.

All-in-all though, there's nothing wrong with this game except the standard "OMG HATE" bandwagoneering.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2009, 05:15.

News Comments > MLB Dugout Heroes Open Beta
3. Re: MLB Dugout Heroes Open Beta Mar 20, 2009, 03:01 DarkCntry

Or my Vista32 one...seems to be a common issue. My guess they should go back to closed beta'ing.  

News Comments > Fallout 3: The Pitt Movie
7. Re: Fallout 3: The Pitt Movie Mar 17, 2009, 08:59 DarkCntry

Huzsar:

http://points.microsoft.com/UserPortal/Buy.aspx

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that even purchasing them via Zune works just the same for XBL and GFWL

400 Microsoft® Points: Zune™
Price: $5.00
400 Microsoft® Points: Zune™
Price: $5.00

Purchase 400 Microsoft® Points for $5.00 (plus any applicable taxes). Use the points to get songs, albums, and videos from Zune Marketplace. If you have an Xbox LIVE account that uses the same Windows Live™ ID as your Zune account, these points can be shared across Zune Marketplace and Xbox LIVE Marketplace. Songs that you purchase from Zune Marketplace can be burned to CD and will easily sync to your Zune device. For information about managing your account, go to www.zune.net/accounts.

1200 Microsoft® Points: Zune™
Price: $15.00
1200 Microsoft® Points: Zune™
Price: $15.00

Purchase 1200 Microsoft® Points for $15.00 (plus any applicable taxes). Use the points to get songs, albums, and videos from Zune Marketplace. If you have an Xbox LIVE account that uses the same Windows Live™ ID as your Zune account, these points can be shared across Zune Marketplace and Xbox LIVE Marketplace. Songs that you purchase from Zune Marketplace can be burned to CD and will easily sync to your Zune device. For information about managing your account, go to www.zune.net/accounts.

2000 Microsoft® Points: Zune™
Price: $25.00
2000 Microsoft® Points: Zune™
Price: $25.00

Purchase 2000 Microsoft® Points for $25.00 (plus any applicable taxes). Use the points to get songs, albums, and videos from Zune Marketplace. If you have an Xbox LIVE account that uses the same Windows Live™ ID as your Zune account, these points can be shared across Zune Marketplace and Xbox LIVE Marketplace. Songs that you purchase from Zune Marketplace can be burned to CD and will easily sync to your Zune device. For information about managing your account, go to www.zune.net/accounts.

4000 Microsoft® Points: Zune™
Price: $50.00

News Comments > Fallout 3: The Pitt Movie
3. Re: Fallout 3: The Pitt Movie Mar 17, 2009, 01:42 DarkCntry

Huzsar, you are aware there are 800 point cards out now, right? Not to mention you can purchase 2x400 points via the online store...not that I'm supporting the wacky pricing scheme, just that it's not exactly neurosurgery.  

News Comments > New Grimm & More Free Games
8. Re: New Grimm & More Free Games Feb 27, 2009, 01:11 DarkCntry

They are trying to get x64 support going, that said, the only things that have x64 issue are the older games and emulated games. The rest tend to work pretty well.

The driver issue is, as I said, something they have been actively trying to get working correctly.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2009, 01:11.

News Comments > More Battlefield Heroes Beta Keys Coming
4. Re: More Battlefield Heroes Beta Keys Coming Feb 26, 2009, 02:11 DarkCntry

I'm enjoying it as well. When it goes live I still doubt I'll play simply because of the auto-matcher and the fact that it's microtransaction-oriented.

But the game itself is fairly strong for what it is.

News Comments > Guild Wars Free Trial
11. Re: Guild Wars Free Trial Feb 19, 2009, 00:32 DarkCntry

I love the uppity cunts that act like WoW is the only MMORPG.

I like how uppity people get their panties in a wad and then assume many incorrect things. Rolleyes

7. Re: Guild Wars Free Trial Feb 19, 2009, 00:13 DarkCntry

Well, ok, GW's has the same common components sans the one important thing...the massively online persistent world, you know, which is why they call themselves a CORPG and not an MMORPG  

3. Re: Guild Wars Free Trial Feb 18, 2009, 22:47 DarkCntry

I'd recommend that anyone who has been intrigued by MMO's but refuses to pay a monthly fee at least give this a try.

Then completely disregard everything you saw in GW, as MMOs aren't really anything like it.

News Comments > Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena Movie
4. Re: Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena Movie Feb 6, 2009, 23:13 DarkCntry

And it actually made first-person hand-to-hand combat work...which is a feat unto itself.  

536 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo