Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nameo

Real Name Nameo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DarkCntry
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 29, 2006, 02:29
Total Comments 527 (Apprentice)
User ID 24330

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > SecuROM in Dragon Age II?
37. Re: SecuROM in Dragon Age II? Mar 11, 2011, 20:15 DarkCntry

Blue wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 20:13:
Derek came here willing to discuss this with you guys.

Maybe we can maintain a somewhat civil tone with one of the last developers you guys haven't chased out of these forums?

Now Blue, you know better than to expect civility on the Interwebs...or logic for that matter.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > SecuROM in Dragon Age II?
35. Re: SecuROM in Dragon Age II? Mar 11, 2011, 20:11 DarkCntry

Nuhauser wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 19:55:
CrushBug wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 18:07:
Sorry, but there is some confusion on this. We use Sony Release Control
Then why is it being detected as SecuROM? Is Reclaim You Game lying, or is the check they're using somehow at fault?

Probably because they jumped the gun when they saw a process saying "SecuROM" and immediately went to the route that it has to be the full-on DRM SecuROM and not just a time-release controller.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Launch Trailer
41. Re: Dragon Age 2 Launch Trailer Mar 11, 2011, 03:42 DarkCntry

Jerykk wrote on Mar 11, 2011, 01:27:
Are you sure the backstab is interruptible on Nightmare difficulty? Because I've tried interrupting with my own backstab, miasmic flask, mind blast, etc, and nothing works.

It should be, I've done it both on the PC and the 360 versions. I've never tried interrupting my own, but I know that you can interrupt opponents.

Matter of fact, the most useful way I've found is Miasmic flask and Smoking Arrow (the update to Bursting Arrow) work well in tandem, as it both stuns the targets and then creates a smoke veil. I'll have to try again a few times to see if it was just luck on my part that I caught them just at the right time since it was only once that I used that combo.

I haven't tried using Archer's Lance, but in theory as long as you're pointed to the back of your friend on the backstab probability it should actually hit the assassin and either stop his attack or at least bring him out of the stealth. Of course, I've never tried it on Nightmare, so I don't know if it'll actually use the friendly fire system...I wouldn't think it would though.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Launch Trailer
39. Re: Dragon Age 2 Launch Trailer Mar 11, 2011, 01:23 DarkCntry

Jerykk wrote on Mar 10, 2011, 23:50:
2. Enemy assassins are overpowered in Nightmare, they can 1 shot your rogues and mages.

This. Assassins are really pissing me off, in fact. Challenge is one thing, but the assassins are so damn cheap. You can't block, avoid or interrupt their backstabs and you can't stop them from cloaking either. There's no way to detect a cloaked assassin either. To make matters even worse, they drink health potions whenever their health gets low and then cloak so you can't do any more damage to them until they uncloak and kill one of your companions with a backstab. The only reliable way to kill them is to continually stun/freeze/paralyze/immobilize them so they never have an opportunity to do anything.

If you thought enemy mages were bad in DAO, the enemy assassins in DA2 (nightmare difficulty) are about 100 times worse.

The easiest way I've found to deal with the assassins is when they cloak for the backstab, switch to whatever AOE launching character you have, run next to the one it's aiming to backstab (either the target it was fighting, or your healer), and then just drop every AOE you can on the area around them. It'll interrupt their backstab and bring them out of cloak.

Of course, this causes you to divert your attention from whatever you're currently fighting to deal with a single target, but again, this adds some level of tactical thinking.

News Comments > 3D DOOM Movie Reboot?
21. Re: 3D DOOM Movie Reboot? Mar 9, 2011, 16:50 DarkCntry

7.62WorldOrder wrote on Mar 9, 2011, 16:33:
Not to mention they probably still won't be true to the theme of the original Doom games with the spawns of Hell coming to Phobos and all of the satanic imagery and mutilated bodies. There are a lot of conservative religious people in the US who would be put off by it.

You mean put off of movies like The Rite? The Exorcist? Even ones like Event Horizon.

There's dozens of movies out there that show religious and even Blblical themes in negative lights.

News Comments > Steam Guard Beta
8. Re: Steam Guard Beta Mar 6, 2011, 08:35 DarkCntry

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 6, 2011, 07:48:
1) No DRM actually works, especially over time. Dongles and other hardware 'solutions' have failed repeatedly in the past, I don't see how this is radically different, and they end up being just a huge hassle most of the time anyway for legitimate users.

I wasn't talking about it being used as a DRM, I was talking about it being used as a security feature for the users.

2) Cloud computing is bullshit for 99% of the user population, and exists only as a buzzword phrase to disguise the removal of even more control from users, aka storing some/all data for whatever app away from the users' primary computers.
*EDIT* Yes this statistic was made up for this post. *EDIT*

3) "Cloud computing" is not mutually exclusive from tying the majority of account control, or entire games as is probably the real plan, to one set of hardware. I can easily see Valve keeping some games 'open' and some newer games from Ubi or EA or whatever completely tied to ONE hardware setup per person. Will this happen? I guess we will see shortly.

I don't believe you're grasping what I am talking about.

Valve's use of cloud computing is not meant for control, but the ability for someone to access their information on a non-primary system. In other words, I can access my Steam information on a friends computer if I am visiting them.

4) You brought up the main hassle yourself, for most users: how to change to a new hardware group. Is this going to be ridiculously annoying? Probably.

Based on Valve's previous changes to Steam, it's probably going to start rough but quickly smooth out. I wouldn't expect it to be any more difficult than it is to 're-activate' Windows.

Maybe it is a huge problem for some people, getting their Steam accounts taken over? Nobody I know on Steam(60+ people) has ever had their account even bothered in any way. Of course, maybe half those people are actually somebody ELSE now, after being hacked and stolen...

That's neither here nor there...it's just an added layer of security, which when used correctly is never a bad thing.

News Comments > Steam Guard Beta
6. Re: Steam Guard Beta Mar 6, 2011, 04:37 DarkCntry

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 5, 2011, 22:47:
Ugh, Steam accounts tied to specific hardware. This pretty much defeats the main good side to Steam DRM, aka being able to use one steam account on multiple systems.

Who would actually volunteer to use this? They claim it's only account MANAGEMENT at the moment, but it seems like this could very quickly become account access, especially as they also seem to be marketing it to developers/publishers.

What a shame, now I'm just going to have to wait 4-5 years for things to come out gog.com

Actually it's a pretty good security feature as long as it isn't too obtrusive and annoying to update if/when you upgrade hardware (since that's what most of us do usually every 2 years).

As for making it a DRM system to block usage on multiple systems, that doesn't make sense since Valve has been actively pushing for cloud computing...

News Comments > More on C&C Revival Plans
9. Re: More on C&C Revival Plans Feb 25, 2011, 02:43 DarkCntry

Sempai wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 00:01:
Didn't they announce C&C 4 being the last in the series?

See..This is why no one believes these d-bags. They will continue to milk this series into oblivion and it deserves a better death.

Do any suits in this industry know what the words "LIE" or "Full of shit" mean? Does anyone have a fuckin spine anymore?

Did an entire generation of mothers completely fail at raising their boys into men with a shred of integrity?

What a joke.

C&C4 was the last in the Tiberium-universe RTS games, they never said it'd be the last C&C game. Remember, there's Red Alert, Generals, Renegade, and a couple shelved ideas that don't revolve around the GDI-Nod fight.

News Comments > Crytek Responds to Crysis 2 Leak
89. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 20:12 DarkCntry

space captain wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 20:10:
Wolfox wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 20:05:
Yeah, because they have total control over journalists and all of the websites in the whole Internet thingy.

Oh look! They're erasing your comment right now!

they can request stories to be pulled, and if push came to shove they could get their lawyers to throw their dicks around

its pretty clear that you have some sort of vested interest in defending this game and/or crytek so i dont really expect you to be able to converse on this topic

so you can go back to jerking it to those crysis pics now

Not in defense of the guy, but I love the MO of internet debates...if someone disagrees with you it's because they have a vested interest in a topic.

In theory, debaters should have a vested interest, so in regards, I think you don't quite understand the correct terminology...my guess would be that sticking with the Internet Debaters MO, you're after "you're a shill" argument.

81. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 19:56 DarkCntry

wtf_man wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 19:54:
reisub wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 19:49:
I'm not sure you can judge everything too harshly when it's an alpha build. You may well be correct but still...

Uh... not sure how anyone can claim it's an "alpha build" when it's only a month away from release and came with the "master DRM" keys.

Sounds like it's more like a "post beta" / "release candidate" build, to me.

I dunno, RCs are still pretty buggy in most of my experiences...and hell, most RCs in games that I've dealt with aren't nearly as featured as the final, gold mastered, product.

Not saying that's the case here, but it could very well be a reason.

72. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 19:31 DarkCntry

necrosis wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 19:18:
Funny. Back when consoles did not have hard drives games had to basically be perfect. Did that slow down games being made? No it didn't. Because if it did by now we would be seeing less games than back in 1995.

What we are seeing more of is games that are seriously broken at launch. FO3, FO:NV, GTA4, Witcher (fantastic game but it did have a rough release), GoW PC, BC2 PC, the list goes on and on. We should not have to worry about if a game will work when it is launched. Just if we will like it or not.

To boot there was more hacky, ground breaking hardware back in the late 90's. Which means even more chances of crap not working than today.

Are you really trying to compare the complexity of making a game now to making a game back in the 90s, and trying to use that as a basis to create an argument that game production and release wouldn't be slower if they kept the same type of mentality they did back then? Really?

Hell, I think 3DRealms would love you...

News Comments > Battlestar Galactica Online Open Beta
16. Re: Battlestar Galactica Online Open Beta Feb 9, 2011, 19:16 DarkCntry

Luther wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 17:28:
Looks pretty enough for a browser game. Nasty controls. Blue screened my PC after 5 minutes.
If this BSOD you, then that's a PEBKAC thing...

News Comments > Battlestar Galactica Online Open Beta
12. Re: Battlestar Galactica Online Open Beta Feb 9, 2011, 06:07 DarkCntry

ibm wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 05:35:
At least we can now see what The Old Republic's space combat will be like.

Sure can, except not here in BGO. BGO's controls aren't on rails.

Matter of fact, for a browser game, it's surprisingly well running.

News Comments > OnLive PlayPack Launches
9. Re: OnLive PlayPack Launches Feb 1, 2011, 17:49 DarkCntry

bigspender wrote on Feb 1, 2011, 17:29:
i'd very suprised if the quality of OnLive is comparative to decent gaming pc - which is so cheap these days.

Be very surprised. Sans a couple hiccups related to my own network, when I tried the beta for the PlayPack Program the system worked pretty comparably to being local.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Ok that's messed up... Jan 29, 2011, 19:00 DarkCntry

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 26, 2011, 22:30:
11 year old kid with Autism getting screwed over by Microsoft.... just sick.

And ~2 days later it's found to be a true story that he cheated...what's that say about the obvious grab for attention from his mother?

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 14, 2011, 05:08 DarkCntry

Nighthawk wrote on Jan 14, 2011, 02:08:
It's not like it was going to be publicly released anytime soon.
They would have sat on it and it would have been filed away, there's too much profit on the treatments.
I would like to see the thief "leak" it to a public source, so a cure HAD to be released.

Actually, in regards to the different cancer possibilities, prostate is one of the cheapest and least profitable. The only thing that nets them any real revenue is the fact that prostate is a more common cancer type.

News Comments > The Lord of the Rings Online Revenues Triple
6. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Revenues Triple Jan 7, 2011, 16:11 DarkCntry

Dev wrote on Jan 7, 2011, 15:02:
Meanwhile good ole EA has shutdown servers for BfME 1 last month and announced shutdown for BfME 2.
Which is due to them losing the license...

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds
7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds Jan 5, 2011, 22:17 DarkCntry

Icewind wrote on Jan 5, 2011, 21:13:
SirKnight wrote on Jan 5, 2011, 20:53:
Cool! I have this for my iPod touch, iPad and Android 2.2 phone. It's a very good game. These guys have made a ton of money on this.

Let me guess.

You're 35, have 2 kids and think gaming is "super fun".

This game, like you, is a pimple on the hobby's rear end.

Wow...just, wow...

I figure it's the elitist asswads with a chip on their shoulder being the pimple...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Mass Effect 2 to use ME3 engine Dec 17, 2010, 12:57 DarkCntry

Tumbler wrote on Dec 17, 2010, 12:37:
including improved planet scanning

...don't improve this. Remove it from the game, it's a total waste of time to go digging for "money". Just attach those rewards to stuff you do in the game or put them in those loot boxes on the planets.

If you're going to let us go to other planets you need to build side quests that involve landing on those planets. EVERY ONE OF THEM. I don't care if it's just mindless combat in cookie cutter landscapes...don't you dare bring back that stupid scan/probe bullshit.

Fire the person who came up with that idea. He sucks at life.

You mean for them to re-implement what they had in ME1 that everyone complained about? Sounds like a very good idea! Inquisitive

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Delay
21. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Delay Dec 16, 2010, 15:01 DarkCntry

The Advocate wrote on Dec 16, 2010, 14:52:
If Square Enix goes tits up, where am I going to get my games about world saving 14 year olds with 20 foot tall hair and 30 foot tall swords and their thinly veiled sexual confusion and raging Daddy issues?

Epic and Gears of War?

527 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo