Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nameo

Real Name Nameo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DarkCntry
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 29, 2006, 02:29
Total Comments 539 (Apprentice)
User ID 24330

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Gold - The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
17. Re: matthew@welchkin.net Apr 27, 2011, 12:56 DarkCntry

necrosis wrote on Apr 27, 2011, 12:52:
Darks wrote on Apr 27, 2011, 11:40:
Same for me, I tried to enjoy this game, but the thing that really kept me from liking it was the combat, I just couldnt stand having to mouse fuck everythng to get the combat to work. I would rather they made icons to click or have some type of auto attacks that you could alter.
Please go back to your console games.

Wait, wasn't this complaint registered for DA2 and blamed on it being a factor of consolitus?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Console Plans Confirmed?
14. Re: The Witcher 2 Console Plans Confirmed? Apr 27, 2011, 02:41 DarkCntry

Zavy wrote on Apr 27, 2011, 02:38:
I'm not much familiar with the console world, but from what I understand and have seen, there's not many (any?) console games that have full frontal nudity.

dante's inferno had quite a bit of nudity as well.

Which still didn't float into full-frontal realms, and look at the negative attention it got.

News Comments > Jurassic Park: The Game Delayed
11. Re: Jurassic Park: The Game Delayed Apr 27, 2011, 00:47 DarkCntry

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 26, 2011, 23:28:
Despite them implying otherwise I hope this is to change/improve the game. The horrible video I have seen of this makes me want to stay far away from it in its present condition.

bigspender wrote on Apr 27, 2011, 00:42:
they aren't doing anything cool here - it looks as cheap and shitty as you could imagine.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/02/18/jurassic-park-hands-on/

The actual article states that they intend on revamping a lot of the gameplay based upon feedback from the trailer...which can mean quite a bit. Granted this is conjecture, but at least TT is keeping up good PR with their customers.

News Comments > On Portal 2's Axed Puke Gel
1. Re: On Portal 2's Axed Puke Gel Apr 25, 2011, 20:05 DarkCntry

Not to question this, but isn't it pretty disorienting to be going through a portal one direction and exit another in a completely different one, all the while flying through the air at top speed?

Hell, I know plenty of people who get moments of vertigo by going through one portal and exiting another upside-down.

News Comments > EA Raises Over $1 Million for Japan
9. Re: EA Raises Over $1 Million for Japan Apr 22, 2011, 17:39 DarkCntry

Punisher wrote on Apr 22, 2011, 14:09:
I feel horrible for JapanÖ they need our prayers but they donít need our money.
Japan is not Haiti. In fact, Japan ranks third in GDP, just behind the US and China, and they are our second largest creditor.

Think about itÖ This would be like Sony donating $1 Million to the US to help displaced families after hurricane Katrina.
Itís a nice gesture, but maybe they should donate to a charity to feed hungry children instead.

Why don't they need money? Just because they are the third largest GDP in the world doesn't mean they are infinitely capable of dealing with this. Let's take a step back and look at Katrina, we solicited outside funding from other nations to help us in the States.

The point is that these supplant relief efforts and helps keep them constantly in motion.

News Comments > Failed Portal Prequel Details
11. Re: Failed Portal Prequel Details Apr 21, 2011, 19:49 DarkCntry

nin wrote on Apr 21, 2011, 19:44:

Remember gang, if we complain about this in any way, we're worthless entitled bastards who deserve to die a slow cancerous death.

Or so they say...

Actually, yes, you are...in the entitlement area.

Consider this...this product is created by a third party and is sold SEPARATE from the main product (Portal). This is a luxury item that doesn't even affect/effect users who own the original product.

So if you complain about this, then yes, you're being pretty much an entitled prick.

But hey, I expected you were trying to just simply drum up some animosity from those that tried (unsuccessfully) to explain to you the difference between entitlement and 'scam'.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Screenshots
7. Re: Mass Effect 3 Screenshots Apr 21, 2011, 00:03 DarkCntry

Creston wrote on Apr 20, 2011, 23:36:
'm assuming that one of the major factos in whether you'll win or not is whether you let the Rachni queen live.

I dunno, some of the Rachni husks they showed were giving me the idea that perhaps they were an early domination, but we'll see.

News Comments > Op Ed
30. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2011, 19:53 DarkCntry

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 17:50:
Beamer wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 17:45:
As an aside, I have the cheapest version (PS3) sitting next to me, but no PS3.

Can anyone confirm that you need to log in to Steam on the PS3 to unlock this on the PC, or can I just enter a code into PC Steam for access?
If it's the former I'll be without this game until the PS3 price drops around E3. I've refused to pay more for a PS3 than I could have had it between November and January ($100 off MSRP; Amazon regularly offers $50 but nuts to that. I'm not sure a PS3 is worth $200 to me let alone $300 as streaming on-demand via TW and XBL has destroyed the need for BluRay for me.)

Yes, you need to login on PS3 first. Also I am not sure how the PS3 version is the cheapest, since the PC version was $35.

Buying it on PS3 netted you both copies, for the same price (if you pre-ordered from Amazon).

News Comments > Portal 2 Nears
128. Re: Portal 2 Nears Apr 19, 2011, 00:45 DarkCntry

Asmo wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 00:43:
No participation in the ARG, no potatoes, almost finished decrypting for me...

2.40pm Aus time, plenty of time to play today, good work Valve.

X D

QUIET, YOU'VE BEEN SCAMMED!

86. Re: Portal 2 Nears Apr 18, 2011, 23:52 DarkCntry

[VG]Reagle wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 23:49:
12 midnight eastern = ARG did not do crap. All video game sellers are selling it now. Steam users get it up the ass.

The only ones that'll probably have zero issues playing are 360 users, simply because it doesn't tie into Steam in the first place.

PS3 and PC/Mac users are, however, probably still on the waiting game. Although I'd probably expect that there's a time lock on all 3 versions at this point.

Either way...Valve still hasn't scammed anyone.

34. Re: Portal 2 Nears Apr 18, 2011, 20:47 DarkCntry

nin wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 20:45:
You people like nin who like to incorrectly asses terms to people for doing nothing remotely like that

What?

Here, I'll make it simple..

You calling people apologists is about as accurate as saying everyone loved Bush Jr as a president. In other words...not very.

32. Re: Portal 2 Nears Apr 18, 2011, 20:41 DarkCntry

nin wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 20:39:

You Valve apologists are a fucking riot. You will swallow any amount of shit they serve, and then ask for more.

Funny how correcting misconceptions and misuse of a term is now akin to being an apologist.

So in kind;

"You people like nin who like to incorrectly asses terms to people for doing nothing remotely like that are a fucking riot. You'll gladly generalize incorrectly about a person and show yourself being a complete tool."

29. Re: Portal 2 Nears Apr 18, 2011, 20:30 DarkCntry

Dev wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 20:28:
DarkCntry wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 20:26:
it still doesn't make this a scam in any sense of the word.
For the 6th time in this thread.
The scam was the illusion of any of this marketing event having any effect at all on the release time. Its always been planned to be shortly after midnight on Tuesday so the retailers don't get upset.

Fine, for the millionth time...

There is no illusion, as you cannot provide any source of information to back up your claims. Your 'feelings' on this matter is not an objective claim.

I also cannot believe you're still on about the "shortly after midnight" when I just told you release dates are for made for the origin timezone of the company. It's not some CYA against upsetting retailers, and unless you can provide proof of this (seeing as you keep harping on this, the burden of proof lies on you), then you're just spouting hyperbolic nonsense.

27. Re: Portal 2 Nears Apr 18, 2011, 20:26 DarkCntry

Dev wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 20:20:
DarkCntry wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 20:00:
a bullet-point in describing a scam.
Ok fine, since you need bullet points.
  • Months ago valve begins planning portal 2 release
  • Actually, they probably planned this more than a few months ago.

• During the planning they decide they will release/unlock the game soon after midnight EST

• I'd probably expect that this didn't come to pass until they finalized the ARG content

• Shortly afterwards a marketing guy comes up with an idea. "Hey, lets run a multi game cross publisher promotion that requires additional sales and playtime but only gives people the illusion of being able to unlock the game early. We'll have to 'push' the release date forward from our originally planned midnight to early morning to give us the room to call it an early release

• A programmer says "well just in case not enough people work on it, we need a way to adjust the release clock to our preplanned near midnight time, so lets introduce potatoes to give us a fudge factor

• Conjecture here is simply based upon your skewed view, definitely not objective.

Do you know what the "potato counter" is actually for? Maybe it was another, hidden, factor that would assist all along.

The exact sequence maybe didn't happen in that order with those exact words, but I'm convinced thats the overall planning and end effect is that.

If you're convinced, you're convinced, however that doesn't change anything and it still doesn't make this a scam in any sense of the word.

22. Re: Portal 2 Nears Apr 18, 2011, 20:00 DarkCntry

Dev wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 19:56:
    DarkCntry wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 19:51:
    Funny, according to the actual clock...6:21 does not make it midnight for Valve (see Pacific Time).

Like all time locks it's based upon the region to which the company resides, in the case of Valve it is Bellevue WA. In 6 hours, it'll be 11pm. Considering the consistency that the clock has been dwindling, I foresee it being even less than that the closer we get to 11pm.

So, again, where is the scam?
    I know exactly which time zone valve resides. In one of the previous portal 2 early release threads I talked about PST vs EST. The unlock time is still after midnight (east coast), probably so that the midnight retail store events that are happening (such as some best buys) will let the buyers unlock the game after they purchase it. Valve has had people upset in the past when they didn't unlock at midnight on the east coast since people couldn't play the games they purchased.

Again, this is a common sense issue. Time zones (and the annoyances they provide) are not a bullet-point in describing a scam.

Besides, if anyone is still at the point of getting pissed off because their game isn't 'unlocked' in their time zone should be punished for being a complete idiot, after-all, it's been this way forever.

Kinda like that saying, "Ignorantia juris non excusat."

20. Re: Portal 2 Nears Apr 18, 2011, 19:51 DarkCntry

Dev wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 19:47:
    DarkCntry wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 19:34:
    A scam is when you tell someone they can get something early and in reality it comes out at the same time.
    Which I'm saying they did. It comes out at the same time regardless. Accelerated bars now along with potato fudge factor. As I've said in 3 posts now, its always been planned to come out around midnight, regardless of how much or how little work people did to "accelerate" the release.
    Funny, according to the actual clock...6:21 does not make it midnight for Valve (see Pacific Time).

Like all time locks it's based upon the region to which the company resides, in the case of Valve it is Bellevue WA. In 6 hours, it'll be 11pm. Considering the consistency that the clock has been dwindling, I foresee it being even less than that the closer we get to 11pm.

So, again, where is the scam?

17. Re: Portal 2 Nears Apr 18, 2011, 19:36 DarkCntry

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 19:30:
    PHJF wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 19:25:
    Well I was going to play TF2 now but seeing as how I can't even connect to Steam it looks like I'll be doing something else.
    DRM ftw!

Not exactly DRM, as it's a matchmaking-required game. It's no different from the days when GameSpy would be the predominant matchmaker and have their own issues impeding your ability to play online.

16. Re: Portal 2 Nears Apr 18, 2011, 19:34 DarkCntry

Dev wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 19:28:
    DarkCntry wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 19:08:
    I also don't feel it's a scam, simply because it doesn't hurt anyone if they participate, nor does it force participation.
    But valve all along said this was to get it to release "early". Even a few hours ahead of schedule can technically be called "early" even though I think many people were expecting at least a day.
    Now indications are that this near midnight time was the planned and scheduled release time all along regardless of how much or little work people did and that there was never going to be an "early" release.

Sounds like a scam to me.

Early is not a subjective statement...the problem is when people start applying subjective reasoning to statements of factual basis.

Early is anything before a specific moment, this could be 1 second to 100 years...it's both still early.

A scam is when you tell someone they can get something early and in reality it comes out at the same time. Or better yet, you tell someone that you must purchase these 13 games and play them to unlock Portal 2 early.

Neither of these are what Valve did. They created a meta-game to increase the chances of the game releasing early. You can opt to participate or not, either way it doesn't affect your ability to obtain Portal 2, either on-time or 'early'.

12. Re: Portal 2 Nears Apr 18, 2011, 19:08 DarkCntry

I dunno about the consumption of potatoes 'accelerating', as doing a quick calculation, it'd take 7.1 hours for the counter to hit zero (when I did the calculation).

My guess is that it was simply a threshold point to which you can 'guarantee' a release early.

I also don't feel it's a scam, simply because it doesn't hurt anyone if they participate, nor does it force participation.

News Comments > Portal 2 Watch
    46. Re: Portal 2 Watch Apr 17, 2011, 03:12 DarkCntry

KilrathiAce wrote on Apr 17, 2011, 03:09:
    All this portal 2 hype and little games related to having it released early... its ok if you actually plan or like the games, but there is no way in hell I would be playing something I dont really care for just to have a chance at portal 2 being released early... There is plenty of good games to play and little time. Valve may think that Portal 2 is some kind of second coming of christ or something but in reality its just another game.

Just another game that a lot of people want to play...Valve is honestly just using the hype created by the players to hype Portal 2.

539 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 14.
    < Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo